PDA

View Full Version : Anyone worth Trading?

Steelers5895
01-25-2013, 09:23 AM
I am wondering with the current roster situation, to include aging veterans on defense, do you think any of our players are trade worthy and would be on the block for draft picks?

Ike?
Harrison?
Woodley?
Troy?
Keisel?
Hood?
Heyward?

I know with the NFL its hard with cap hits etc but do you think rather than cuts we can get picks?

harrison'samonster
01-25-2013, 09:28 AM
good question.

Troy- value to the team (if he's healthy) is too high to trade in my opinion
Harrison- age plus his contract makes him hard to trade
Woodley- performance plus his contract makes him hard to trade.

If we trade Hood or Heyward we'd have to find a replacement for them soon, but neither is irreplaceable

SteelersCanada
01-25-2013, 10:28 AM
I guarantee that we could find a trade partner if we made Troy available, but Dick wouldn't have his one guy to build an entire scheme around so he's not going anywhere, sadly.

desertsteel
01-25-2013, 10:34 AM
I guarantee that we could find a trade partner if we made Troy available, but Dick wouldn't have his one guy to build an entire scheme around so he's not going anywhere, sadly.You don't care much for Dick do you? Maybe if he read you Twas the Night Before Christmas and gave you milk and cookies you'd like him more :rofl:

SteelersCanada
01-25-2013, 11:07 AM
You don't care much for Dick do you? Maybe if he read you Twas the Night Before Christmas and gave you milk and cookies you'd like him more :rofl:

Oh I love Dick (:wink02:) but I don't like his ideology anymore and I think his scheme is outdated. That's for another topic, though.

I'd trade Troy in a heartbeat.

desertsteel
01-25-2013, 12:17 PM
Oh I love Dick (:wink02:) but I don't like his ideology anymore and I think his scheme is outdated. That's for another topic, though.

I'd trade Troy in a heartbeat.What do you think you'd realistically get for him? Some 5th rounder that won't even make the team...

SteelersCanada
01-25-2013, 12:47 PM
What do you think you'd realistically get for him? Some 5th rounder that won't even make the team...

If the Raiders were willing to give up a first and second round pick for Carson Palmer, we could honestly probably garner a second round pick from a team that doesn't know any better. Never underestimate the stupidity of GMs in the NFL.

Steeldude
01-25-2013, 01:06 PM
I am wondering with the current roster situation, to include aging veterans on defense, do you think any of our players are trade worthy and would be on the block for draft picks?

Ike?
Harrison?
Woodley?
Troy?
Keisel?
Hood?
Heyward?

I know with the NFL its hard with cap hits etc but do you think rather than cuts we can get picks?

I doubt that a trade would ever happen, but I would like to see Woodley or Colon traded

SteelersCanada
01-25-2013, 01:23 PM
I doubt that a trade would ever happen, but I would like to see Woodley or Colon traded

Prior to Woodley's hamstring injury he was number one in sacks in 8 games. So, let's not jump off the cliff with him yet please. He's going to go work out with Ike and Tom Shaw and get back into the proper shape. Asking him to be traded when we've seen his potential and the fact that he's young is insane.

Give him this year to get back into proper shape and get back to his 2011 form.

fer522
01-25-2013, 02:13 PM
We cant trade Woodley, If the steelers cut Hampton and Woodley doesn't lose any weight he could be playing NT next year

Fire Arians
01-25-2013, 02:18 PM
Ike? No
Harrison? Yes
Woodley? Maybe (but leaning no since he's still early in his career)
Troy? Sentimental value, but can't pick with my heart. Yes
Keisel? Yes
Hood? NO
Heyward? NO

we need to keep the younger players in that list at the very least, they will be carrying the torch until the end of the decade. Hood / Heyward are out of the question. Ike is still a key piece to this defense and we will need him at least for another year.

Kiesel is great but sooner or later, it's heyward's turn, and he's waited for 2 years now. he definitely knows the system and his assignments by now. ziggy has played pretty well, but people are disappointed that he's not aaron smith. news flash, aaron smith wasn't a good player, he was GREAT, you cannot replace great.

harrison & troy, i LOVE those guys. with that said, they are at the wrong ends of their careers. We can't afford to keep paying them the kind of money we are and expect them to produce like they did years ago.

Woodley is a guy who needs to get hooked up with a professional trainer. He is a monster when he's in shape, but he appears to be lazy in the offseason. Because of his age and potential, i would be willing to give him another chance, but not without lighting a fire under him in the offseason

tanda10506
01-25-2013, 04:49 PM
I think Troy is the only one that we could get something for. I'm sure there's a front office terrible enough out there to get rid of a 1st or 2nd for a player with just a couple of years left. The Raiders have filled that roll for a long time and may be interested. I'm not sure if Polamalu would play for someone else. Harrison won't go anywhere else and I don't think anybody would trade anything for him at this point in his career. I still think he would kick some ass next year if still on the team, but I doubt he will still be here due to the size of his contract. Nobody else on that list would yield us even a fair return. Nobody wants players that are about to retire and already have fallen far from their prime.

As mentioned, decisions can't be made on emotion and every option should be considered. The cap situation is terrible and getting a 3rd or 4th round pick is better then just letting a guy walk, but I don't even see that happening except for with Troy. We'd be fine without him, he missed most of this season and our defense still performed well with him out. Even when he plays, this year and last, he doesn't make plays. He's still a good safety, he's just no longer a "special" player. I REALLY would not want to see him in anything other then black and gold, but if it means we get a bit closer to a SB and improve the cap situation then it should be considered.

kent
01-25-2013, 06:02 PM
Ike? No
Harrison? Yes
Woodley? Maybe (but leaning no since he's still early in his career)
Troy? Sentimental value, but can't pick with my heart. Yes
Keisel? Yes
Hood? NO
Heyward? NO

we need to keep the younger players in that list at the very least, they will be carrying the torch until the end of the decade. Hood / Heyward are out of the question. Ike is still a key piece to this defense and we will need him at least for another year.

Kiesel is great but sooner or later, it's heyward's turn, and he's waited for 2 years now. he definitely knows the system and his assignments by now. ziggy has played pretty well, but people are disappointed that he's not aaron smith. news flash, aaron smith wasn't a good player, he was GREAT, you cannot replace great.

harrison & troy, i LOVE those guys. with that said, they are at the wrong ends of their careers. We can't afford to keep paying them the kind of money we are and expect them to produce like they did years ago.

Woodley is a guy who needs to get hooked up with a professional trainer. He is a monster when he's in shape, but he appears to be lazy in the offseason. Because of his age and potential, i would be willing to give him another chance, but not without lighting a fire under him in the offseason

I think the Rooneys and the coaching staff let sentimental value get in the way of a lot of decisions on the team.

desertsteel
01-25-2013, 06:07 PM
I think the Rooneys and the coaching staff let sentimental value get in the way of a lot of decisions on the team.

As an organization, we have always been willing to cut aging veterans and let go FA's that were too pricey, no matter who they were.

I think that this offseason, we will see the same.

SteelersCanada
01-25-2013, 06:13 PM
As an organization, we have always been willing to cut aging veterans and let go FA's that were too pricey, no matter who they were.

On offense, sure. Not on defense. It's like Rooney lets Dick decide who stays and who gets released on defense.

TRH
01-25-2013, 06:35 PM

it's time. Both the fan base and the FO are very emotionally attached to guys like Troy, Harrison, Hampton etc.
I think we're going to see a couple of shockers this off-season and people are in for a couple of very serious jolts.

FrancoLambert
01-25-2013, 06:39 PM
I'd be open to trading Troy :crying01: and Woodley :wave:.
I don't think Harrison and Keisel have enough value to be pursued by other teams.
Play the young'uns. It's time.

kent
01-25-2013, 07:01 PM

All I'm saying is if Charlie and Lefty are still the only backup QBS on the team next year then there is definitely some sentimental issues there.

desertsteel
01-25-2013, 07:07 PM
All I'm saying is if Charlie and Lefty are still the only backup QBS on the team next year then there is definitely some sentimental issues there.

They were both proven veterans with starts under their belts. Neither played terribly outside of mitigating circumstances... i.e., the conditions in which they were put in. But I agree that now is the time for a younger backup with some upside. I'd like to see us draft one around R5-6.

Steelers5895
01-25-2013, 07:15 PM
Trading is so hard in the NFL but i'd be open to trading Troy to teams with good cap situations even in our own conference. Let them deal with the aging name who will play 6-10 games a year.

Teams that come to mind are New England, Philly, Houston, and the colts.

If we can get a 3rd in 2013 and maybe something in 2014 why not. We arent a player away but 3 of those 4 teams are.

As for Woodley and harrison, look at teams converting to thr 3-4 this year who may want someone to help with the implementation and we could get a 4th for harrison. Woodley a 3rd.

most like onlt cuts would occur.

Fire Arians
01-25-2013, 07:46 PM
I'd be open to trading Troy :crying01: and Woodley :wave:.
I don't think Harrison and Keisel have enough value to be pursued by other teams.
Play the young'uns. It's time.

i wouldn't want to trade woodley just yet. have him work out with that trainer that worked with ziggy in the offseason. if he's in shape he can be great, he just needs that motivation to stay in shape before the season starts

DanRooney
01-25-2013, 10:27 PM
Woodley, Woodley, Woodley!...

Seriously, the Steelers absolutely suck at trading and should never try to trade a player again.

kent
01-25-2013, 11:36 PM
Woodley, Woodley, Woodley!...

Seriously, the Steelers absolutely suck at trading and should never try to trade a player again.

I don't know about trading our own players but I remember a certain trade with the rams in 1996 that worked out pretty well.

austinfrench76
01-25-2013, 11:49 PM
I personally wouldn't trade anyone. Can't think of too many that have really ever worked out. Except Bettis of course!

steelfury02
01-26-2013, 07:44 AM
my next favorite pickup was in free agency in 01/02 - a certain guy that used to play for the Jets . . .

wwhickok
01-26-2013, 08:44 AM
Maybe I am just sentimental but I want Troy to retire a Steeler. While sure it woukd be difficult to trade Harrison it wouldn't be impossible.

mikegrimey
01-26-2013, 10:31 AM
I can't believe how many people want to trade Woodley. He's played hard since we drafted him, never held out for more money, even when he was playing far above his contract, and has had 1 down year, and by all accounts his dismal year this year was due to conditioning, not a bad attitude. He's still young and in his prime, if he can get back into shape he'll be just fine.

DanRooney
01-26-2013, 03:53 PM
I don't know about trading our own players but I remember a certain trade with the rams in 1996 that worked out pretty well.

Thanks we made a good trade 15 years ago.

Steeldude
01-26-2013, 04:57 PM
Prior to Woodley's hamstring injury he was number one in sacks in 8 games. So, let's not jump off the cliff with him yet please. He's going to go work out with Ike and Tom Shaw and get back into the proper shape. Asking him to be traded when we've seen his potential and the fact that he's young is insane.

Give him this year to get back into proper shape and get back to his 2011 form.

Again with the sacks. There is more to being a LB than sacks. People become so brainwashed when it comes to sacks. If Woodley gets a sack in a game the fans think he had an awesome outing.

If Woodley gets into shape, around 250, then he will be better, but he still has to put forth effort on all plays. No more loafing around.

If someone wanted to trade for Woodley it would amazing. I would jump on that in an instant. To get rid of that $13,000,000 burden would do wonders for the cap.

What potential? Some sacks? I would like to see him stop the run/contain with consistency. He is generally handled by a lone TE. He also has a history of disappearing for stretches. He is being paid an elite salary, but he is not an elite LB.

Fyi, Woodley never said he was going to work out with Shaw. From what I read Shaw said he could help him. It remains to be seen if Woodley can put forth the effort to be in shape. I am not holding my breath.

Steeldude
01-26-2013, 04:58 PM
I can't believe how many people want to trade Woodley. He's played hard since we drafted him, never held out for more money, even when he was playing far above his contract, and has had 1 down year, and by all accounts his dismal year this year was due to conditioning, not a bad attitude. He's still young and in his prime, if he can get back into shape he'll be just fine.

He's played hard since we drafted him

Huh :rofl:

if he can get back into shape

Would that mean working hard?

Steelers5895
01-26-2013, 05:59 PM
Woodley is a one dimensional LB and that one dimension has been missing for 2 seasons. he got his money and has been down hill ever since.

he is terrible in space, terrible covering and when was the last run stuff for a loss you seen? If he doesnt get to the QB he is useless. and thats all he gets is a sack. ever see a strip from him? once on a desperation play at the end of super bowl 43 with kurt warner in the pocket for about 8 seconds,not like he blew up the play.

i would take anything for him. id keep harrison over him

mikegrimey
01-26-2013, 07:19 PM
Huh :rofl:

Would that mean working hard?

When has he not played hard?

teegre
01-26-2013, 09:36 PM
I'd trade Steeley McBeam for some self respect.

Steeldude
01-28-2013, 12:11 AM
When has he not played hard?

Watch the games. He doesn't play to the whistle. Rarely does he venture to the other side of the field. You, like many fans, are fooled by a few sacks. There is more to being a LB than sacks.

Steeldude
01-28-2013, 12:14 AM
Woodley is a one dimensional LB and that one dimension has been missing for 2 seasons. he got his money and has been down hill ever since.

he is terrible in space, terrible covering and when was the last run stuff for a loss you seen? If he doesnt get to the QB he is useless. and thats all he gets is a sack. ever see a strip from him? once on a desperation play at the end of super bowl 43 with kurt warner in the pocket for about 8 seconds,not like he blew up the play.

He is probably the most overrated player on the Steelers.

mikegrimey
01-28-2013, 05:57 AM
Watch the games. He doesn't play to the whistle. Rarely does he venture to the other side of the field. You, like many fans, are fooled by a few sacks. There is more to being a LB than sacks.

I do watch the games silly, and nice assuming what I think, too bad u know nothing anout it. I ask again, when doesn't he play hard?

WokeUpWithaWoodley
01-28-2013, 07:51 AM

A lot of players in the nfl wont play "to the whistle" when the play isn't going there way, that's a common act among players around the league. So it's unfair to say he doesn't play to the whistle because when he rushes he doesn't let up also when run plays are directed his way he takes on his blocker and has a chance to make a play on the ball carrier.

And you judge outside linebackers in a 3-4 by there sacks, because those are the guys that are suppose to get sacks and pressures that's there main responsibility. Woodley since he signed has been slowed by injuries to his hamstrings and ankles which are big components to the body that pass rushers use to get leverage, power, and speed. Before those injuries he was having a terrific year for himself.

When healthy I would love to have Woodley on the steelers and would not consider trading him.

Steelers5895
01-28-2013, 06:57 PM
A lot of players in the nfl wont play "to the whistle" when the play isn't going there way, that's a common act among players around the league. So it's unfair to say he doesn't play to the whistle because when he rushes he doesn't let up also when run plays are directed his way he takes on his blocker and has a chance to make a play on the ball carrier.

And you judge outside linebackers in a 3-4 by there sacks, because those are the guys that are suppose to get sacks and pressures that's there main responsibility. Woodley since he signed has been slowed by injuries to his hamstrings and ankles which are big components to the body that pass rushers use to get leverage, power, and speed. Before those injuries he was having a terrific year for himself.

When healthy I would love to have Woodley on the steelers and would not consider trading him.

those injuries are from not being in playing shape. You never seen those injuries from any of our other OLBs over the years.

the 3-4 OLB is not only for rushing the QB, they also need to know when NOT to rush the QB. That was why kendrell bell couldnt grasp it as an OLB.

Woodley ONLY goes after the QB and allows rbs to go by him and TEs to get a free release.

Add injuries to his deteriotating skill set and I say get rid of him.

Fire Arians
01-28-2013, 07:49 PM

he had a couple years where he led the league in tackles for yardage lost. he is great when he's actually in shape. the dude's just gotten lazy and that needs to change.

with that said, he's underachieved this year, i expect more out of him next year or he very well can be gone. i guess you can say he's on the hot seat and deservedly so

OX1947
01-28-2013, 08:19 PM
JPP only had 6.5 sacks this year, I guess he is overrated too.

Steelers5895
01-28-2013, 08:58 PM
JPP only had 6.5 sacks this year, I guess he is overrated too.

if the trend continues then he too will fall into that category

steelfury02
01-28-2013, 09:30 PM
Lets just get this straight. Woodley's own coach said he expects a lot more out of him. That's the bottom line. What people are griping about is only being backed up by those close to him.

Don't get this confused though - sacks aren't the only indicator - the problem is - he isn't racking up anything really - that's the issue. It would be one thing if he was creating a ton of pressure - but, between his injury which is preventable and his lack of technique, Woodley has been averaging an "average" season. His mediocre to non-existence is right on par with the times he has "shown up"

WokeUpWithaWoodley
01-29-2013, 01:40 AM
those injuries are from not being in playing shape. You never seen those injuries from any of our other OLBs over the years.

the 3-4 OLB is not only for rushing the QB, they also need to know when NOT to rush the QB. That was why kendrell bell couldnt grasp it as an OLB.

Woodley ONLY goes after the QB and allows rbs to go by him and TEs to get a free release.

Add injuries to his deteriotating skiiml set and I say get rid of him.

Those injuries are why he wasnt in shape for the season. We need to stop blaming his weight because he was never 100 percent heathly to see if the weight would of had any affect on his production.

It all goes back to last season against the pats. He had 2 sacks already by the half I believe (I forget when he actually got injuried that game), and I think 8 sacks all together in the season before he injuried his hamstring. He was on pace for 16-18 sacks that season ( we had 8 games left after that pats game ). Later on in the season he tired to come back to earlier and kept re injuring the hamstring. Soooo in the offseason Im sure he rested it until it was fully healthy and gained some weight because of it. Then this season was hampered by the hamstring and other problems, so he never had the chance to condition the why he would of liked.

So for all the fans that want to say he got paid and put forth a lazy effort are off base and in my opinion wrong. Once he is 100 percent he will he be the player that everyone loves. The injury bug just hit our team bad in all areas.

Also when hes asked to blitz he does, when the play is called and it has him to cover he does. The man just doesnt chose what he wants to do on each play thats ridiculous to think.

Again cant blame the weight for everything when he was never 100 percent.

And every on this board can agree somewhat that hood hasnt been playing good, well thats the man in front of woodley thats suppose to eat blockers, but teams arent scared to single block hood and foucs more on the olb. So hoods play can also be linked to woodleys production

Steeldude
01-29-2013, 04:10 AM
I do watch the games silly, and nice assuming what I think, too bad u know nothing anout it. I ask again, when doesn't he play hard?

During the games. You are another fan who is mesmerized by sacks. He does not play to the whistle. When have you ever seen him venture to the other side of the field? I have seen Harrison do it hundreds of times. You don't stop playing because the play went the other way.

Steeldude
01-29-2013, 04:16 AM

And you judge outside linebackers in a 3-4 by there sacks

That's only part of the game.

It's not unfair to say he doesn't play to the whistle. I don't care about players on other teams. Woodley was given an absurd contract. When will he finally live up to it? Getting a sack one in awhile doesn't do it. He is paid more than Harrison so he should be playing better than Harrison. Harrison is an aging, beaten war horse who still outperforms the younger Woodley.

I would trade Woodley in a second. That contract is killing the Steelers.

mikegrimey
01-29-2013, 07:38 PM
During the games. You are another fan who is mesmerized by sacks. He does not play to the whistle. When have you ever seen him venture to the other side of the field? I have seen Harrison do it hundreds of times. You don't stop playing because the play went the other way.

Find one post, just one, where I said anything about Woodley's sacks
You're fighting a straw man jerk.

steelfury02
01-29-2013, 08:40 PM
Those injuries are why he wasnt in shape for the season. We need to stop blaming his weight because he was never 100 percent heathly to see if the weight would of had any affect on his production.

It all goes back to last season against the pats. He had 2 sacks already by the half I believe (I forget when he actually got injuried that game), and I think 8 sacks all together in the season before he injuried his hamstring. He was on pace for 16-18 sacks that season ( we had 8 games left after that pats game ). Later on in the season he tired to come back to earlier and kept re injuring the hamstring. Soooo in the offseason Im sure he rested it until it was fully healthy and gained some weight because of it. Then this season was hampered by the hamstring and other problems, so he never had the chance to condition the why he would of liked.

So for all the fans that want to say he got paid and put forth a lazy effort are off base and in my opinion wrong. Once he is 100 percent he will he be the player that everyone loves. The injury bug just hit our team bad in all areas.

Also when hes asked to blitz he does, when the play is called and it has him to cover he does. The man just doesnt chose what he wants to do on each play thats ridiculous to think.

Again cant blame the weight for everything when he was never 100 percent.

And every on this board can agree somewhat that hood hasnt been playing good, well thats the man in front of woodley thats suppose to eat blockers, but teams arent scared to single block hood and foucs more on the olb. So hoods play can also be linked to woodleys production

his own coach said his injuries are from a lack of commitment - the injury bug did hit the team bad, but, Woodley has earned the finger pointing this past season IMO - he was heavy before the injury and put unneeded additional stress on his body because of it

WokeUpWithaWoodley
01-29-2013, 08:53 PM
his own coach said his injuries are from a lack of commitment - the injury bug did hit the team bad, but, Woodley has earned the finger pointing this past season IMO - he was heavy before the injury and put unneeded additional stress on his body because of it

I agree he has earned some finger pointing but not as much as some have been given him. He had a bad year we all know that but so did a lot of steelers this year.

And again he weight was caused by him trying to rehab and rest his hamstring in the offseason, and while you are doing that your cardio is limited so weight was added.

Also people want to say he got his money so he got lazy, I don't think that's fair to say. He signed his deal and has having one of the best season in 2011 before he got injured in the pats games. The man has been hampered by injuries the past year and half, his weight has suffered because of that. I expect him to be bak in shape this year and back to normal. And everyone will go back to loving him.

steelfury02
01-29-2013, 09:26 PM
I agree he has earned some finger pointing but not as much as some have been given him. He had a bad year we all know that but so did a lot of steelers this year.

And again he weight was caused by him trying to rehab and rest his hamstring in the offseason, and while you are doing that your cardio is limited so weight was added.

Also people want to say he got his money so he got lazy, I don't think that's fair to say. He signed his deal and has having one of the best season in 2011 before he got injured in the pats games. The man has been hampered by injuries the past year and half, his weight has suffered because of that. I expect him to be bak in shape this year and back to normal. And everyone will go back to loving him.

I hope you are right - I don't want to be disappointed, but, he is running out of time IMO. I agree, he was playing well after the contract. Going 1.5 seasons is waaaay too long a time to be this ineffective because of his main injury though - especially for what are supposed to be the some of the best physical specimens on planet earth.