PDA

View Full Version : Tom Brady and BALCO

83-Steelers-43
08-17-2006, 11:01 AM
Bonds trainer: I spoke with Brady
By Associated Press
Thursday, August 17, 2006 - Updated: 06:59 AM EST

SAN FRANCISCO - Greg Anderson, the personal trainer at the heart of the Barry Bonds steroids scandal, evoked the name of Patriots quarterback Tom Brady in a statement to prosecutors.

Anderson, who is refusing to testify before a newly assembled grand jury, said he had spoken to Brady over the phone but never made further contact.

?I had only one brief conversation with Tom Brady regarding a potential future workout,? Anderson said in the statement to prosecutors that was included in court documents unsealed yesterday. ?I never had another phone conversation with him and never discussed it with anyone.?

Paula Canny, an Anderson attorney and friend, said Brady?s name appears along with ?10 to 20? other athletes that Anderson?s grand jury subpoena lists as people the trainer should be prepared to answer questions about. Canny said investigators may have gotten Brady?s name from Anderson phone records seized by the government, though Anderson doesn?t refer to any other athletes in his brief statement.

Brady attended the same Bay Area high school as Bonds. His agent, Donald Yee, couldn?t be reached for comment yesterday, and the Patriots declined comment on Anderson?s statement.

?I don?t have any information on it,? Patriots spokesman Stacey James said. ?I?m not going on hearsay.?

Anderson has refused on four different occasions to testify before federal grand juries investigating Bonds. He was released from prison July 20 after serving 15 days for refusing to testify, but only after that grand jury?s term expired.

?I will not ever make statements about other people,? Anderson said in the June 23 statement filed with the court. ?That has always been my position and will continue to be.?

Today, prosecutors plan to ask U.S. District Judge William Alsup to send Anderson to prison if he stands by that policy.

Government lawyers are investigating whether Bonds lied under oath when he told an earlier grand jury he didn?t know whether the substances given to him by Anderson were steroids.

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=153231

83-Steelers-43
08-17-2006, 11:14 AM
Another article pertaining to the story.....

Bonds' trainer peripherally links Tom Brady to BALCO scandal
By Teri Thompson

New York Daily News

(MCT)

NEW YORK - For the most part, the NFL has avoided the intense scrutiny that has plagued Major League Baseball in the BALCO steroid era. But those days may be nearing an end. One of the NFL's biggest names - New England quarterback Tom Brady - has peripherally emerged in the BALCO investigation.

Federal prosecutors Thursday will try to convince a judge to throw Barry Bonds' personal trainer back in jail for refusing to testify, this time before a newly assembled grand jury that is reportedly also investigating track coach Trevor Graham and other athletes. In a statement to prosecutors about his intentions to keep quiet, Bonds' trainer, Greg Anderson, invoked Brady's name, effectively dragging the three-time Super Bowl winner into the biggest steroid scandal in U.S. sports history, saying the two had spoken over the phone but never made further contact.

Several NFL players have emerged in the BALCO investigation, along with numerous baseball players, but none with the star power of Brady. Even if Brady is only remotely tied to Anderson and BALCO, he could find himself subject to the questions of the government, as have numerous other athletes. Brady was mysteriously absent for several days near the start of training camp. No reason was given for his absence.

"I had only one brief conversation with Tom Brady regarding a potential future workout," Anderson said in the statement to prosecutors that was included in court documents unsealed in San Francisco Wednesday. "I never had another phone conversation with him and never discussed it with anyone."

Paula Canny, an Anderson attorney, said Brady's name appears along with "10 to 20" other athletes that Anderson's grand jury subpoena lists as people the trainer should be prepared to answer questions about. Canny said investigators may have gotten Brady's name from Anderson phone records seized by the government, though Anderson doesn't refer to any other athletes in his brief statement.

Brady attended the same Bay Area high school as Bonds. His agent, Donald Yee, couldn't be reached for comment, and the Patriots declined comment on Anderson's statement. "I don't have any information on it," Patriots spokesman Stacey James said. "I'm not going on hearsay."

Anderson has refused on four different occasions to testify before federal grand juries investigating Bonds. He was released from prison on July 20 after serving 15 days for refusing to testify, but only after that grand jury's term expired. "I will not ever make statements about other people," Anderson said in the June 23 statement filed with the court. "That has always been my position and will continue to be."

Prosecutors plan to ask U.S. District Judge William Alsup Thursday to send Anderson to prison if he stands by that policy.

Government lawyers are investigating whether Bonds lied under oath when he told an earlier grand jury he didn't know whether the substances given to him by Anderson were steroids. The grand jury probe also reportedly is focused on whether the Giants' slugger paid taxes on the sale of hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of sports memorabilia.

The grand jury is also reportedly looking into the possible involvement of Graham, the track coach of Marion Jones and Justin Gatlin, who tested positive earlier this year for elevated testosterone levels.

Anderson previously served three months in prison after pleading guilty to steroid distribution and money laundering stemming from the government's investigation of BALCO, which allegedly supplied Bonds and other elite athletes with performance-enhancing drugs.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/15293135.htm

BlackNGold203
08-17-2006, 11:18 AM
Oh my...cmon now 83.....

Tom Brady would NEVER do something as un-american as use steroids!!!!!

Im sure this guy called Brady...and Tom said..."OH MY GOODNESS...NO NO NO!!...I could NEVER do that!!!...OH MY....it wouldn't be fair!!!...it would set a bad example for all the fair haired wonderful american children that look up to me!!!...OH MY....NO NO NO!!!"

*vomits*

:cool: :cool:

tony hipchest
08-17-2006, 11:25 AM
i wonder what bill balcocheck thinks of this. this could explain bradys sudden increase in size and that enormous helmet he always wears.

BlackNGold203
08-17-2006, 11:29 AM
A Patriot?....juicing????

OMG..I refuse to believe it....

*cough*Bruschi*cough*

AZ_Steeler
08-17-2006, 11:53 AM
Has his babysitters and legal guardians at ESPN jumped in to say it's not possible and there is no way Brady could have done such of thing!!!

This is good news in my book, mainly because I don't really like the guy and I'm sick of all the Brady did this, Brady did that comments and the gigantic pedestal the media and NFL has put him on.

Question though... if something does become of this they will need to put some "*" next to their Super Bowl wins?

tony hipchest
08-17-2006, 12:00 PM
Has his babysitters and legal guardians at ESPN jumped in to say it's not possible and there is no way Brady could have done such of thing!!!

This is good news in my book, mainly because I don't really like the guy and I'm sick of all the Brady did this, Brady did that comments and the gigantic pedestal the media and NFL has put him on.

Question though... if something does become of this they will need to put some "*" next to their Super Bowl wins?

no. he will just be viewed as the barry bonds of football

83-Steelers-43
08-17-2006, 12:03 PM
no. he will just be viewed as the barry bonds of football

I don't see that happening. He's a media darling. Bonds is a jerkoff when it comes to the media and fans. Nothing will come of this and the media will tuck it under the carpet and continue to polish Brady's nob.

tony hipchest
08-17-2006, 12:07 PM
I don't see that happening. He's a media darling. Bonds is a jerkoff when it comes to the media and fans. Nothing will come of this and the media will tuck it under the carpet and continue to polish Brady's nob.

yeah, youre right. they will probably say brady called him to give him a lecture and advise him to stop giving bad things to star atheletes.:rolleyes:

Hawk Believer
08-17-2006, 12:17 PM
This Balco thing is starting to have a McCarthiast feel to it with the naming names thing. These kind of investigations present a bit of a dilema for me. I want the cheaters and the people who profited off them to be punished severely. But at the same time, these fishing type of investigations always feel a bit creepy to me. But the investigators wouldn't be doing their job if they weren't trying to get people to talk.

I just hope people don't lie and implicate people who didn't cheat to save theor own skin. But I bet its gonna happen because many in this crowd wouldn't lose any sleep over lieing.

AZ_Steeler
08-17-2006, 12:20 PM
yeah, youre right. they will probably say brady called him to give him a lecture and advise him to stop giving bad things to star atheletes.:rolleyes:

:laughing:

The sad thing is it's not really that funny once you start to think about it because the way Brady is worshipped I could some ignorant media type making a comment like this...

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
08-17-2006, 12:47 PM
i wonder what bill balcocheck thinks of this. this could explain bradys sudden increase in size and that enormous helmet he always wears.

The all mighty pooh-ba Bill can't even tell the league who is on an injury report now we want him to actually mutter the "S" word and Brady in the same sentence! it ain't gonna happen. :sofunny:

Black@Gold Forever32
08-17-2006, 03:31 PM
Hey I could care less if Tom Brady or any other athlete have took roids. If they want to kill themselves. More power to them. But really though what would roids do for Brady anyways. I highly doubt that roids if he did take them made him a great QB. I don't think roids would help Tom to read an NFL defense. Trust me I hate Tom Brady but I do respect what he has done on the field. Especially since I live in Colts country. You want talk about people slobbing on a know. Nobody does is worse then Colts fans. They constanstly slob on Peyton's know all the time.

Hawk Believer
08-17-2006, 04:09 PM
Hey I could care less if Tom Brady or any other athlete have took roids. If they want to kill themselves. More power to them. But really though what would roids do for Brady anyways. I highly doubt that roids if he did take them made him a great QB. I don't think roids would help Tom to read an NFL defense. Trust me I hate Tom Brady but I do respect what he has done on the field. Especially since I live in Colts country. You want talk about people slobbing on a know. Nobody does is worse then Colts fans. They constanstly slob on Peyton's know all the time.
Hasn't he had some chronic back injuries? Steroids are a common treatment for reducing inflamtion for these types of injuries. But you wouldn't have to go through BALCO for that, I would imagine the league would allow that kind of treatment.

Haiku_Dirtt
08-17-2006, 04:44 PM
A Patriot?....juicing????

OMG..I refuse to believe it....

*cough*Bruschi*cough*

*cough*Bruschi*cough*

Haiku_Dirtt
08-17-2006, 04:46 PM

I feel for you brother. Be thankful for XL.

augustashark
08-17-2006, 05:10 PM
This Balco thing is starting to have a McCarthiast feel to it with the naming names thing. These kind of investigations present a bit of a dilema for me. I want the cheaters and the people who profited off them to be punished severely. But at the same time, these fishing type of investigations always feel a bit creepy to me. But the investigators wouldn't be doing their job if they weren't trying to get people to talk.

I just hope people don't lie and implicate people who didn't cheat to save theor own skin. But I bet its gonna happen because many in this crowd wouldn't lose any sleep over lieing.

You pull out McCarthyism:rolleyes: Communism was a little more important then what this whole balco case is. Keep this to the 21st Century.

Hawk Believer
08-17-2006, 05:58 PM
You pull out McCarthyism:rolleyes: Communism was a little more important then what this whole balco case is. Keep this to the 21st Century.
I think McCarthy's "investigations" are an archetype for the potential downside of this kind of investigation. People get told that they better provide some evidence about someone else or the prosecutor is gonna bring tha hammer down on them. In these types of scandals, I think there is great potential for people to throw out a red herring or two to save their own behind. For more recent examples you could look to Ken Starr's commission or the Valerie Plame investigation. I just approach accusations gained from these types of invesitigations with a lot of caution before I form an opinion.

Cape Cod Steel Head
08-17-2006, 07:02 PM
He claims he called him while he was home looking for a place to work out. As much as I would love to see the Golden Boy implicated in this I don't think there is much to it.