PDA

View Full Version : possible Wallace landing spots?

TRH
01-25-2013, 05:32 PM
Ok, guys. I'm tired of reading in virtually every thread (even unrelated Wallace threads somehow morph into Wallace somehow...) about how he sucks, how he loafs, we're not going to pay him, etc, etc, etc.

Bottom line, the team has pretty much said everything that points to "there's no way we're re-signing this guy.." without exactly saying it (because they can't).
He's likely 99% gone - plus, oh yeah, we don't have the money anyways. No question there will be a team (or teams) who will offer up much more than we can or will.

So : for some fun, where do YOU think he might end up?

Minnesota Vikings : just in the last couple days, they've stated they really need to add another long threat to their passing game. Christian Ponder needs another target badly and they'll be looking at options (draft, trades, free agents)

GB Packers : Likely losing Jennings and desperately need another receiver for Aaron Rogers. Big problem though in regards to "expensive" guys : they're looking at very serious cap issues (like we are)

Oakland Raiders?

San Diego Chargers : would love to have another target for Philip Rivers. Its time they give him all the weapons to make him elite and get to a SB or they will have to move on with their future.

vasteeler
01-25-2013, 06:11 PM
:doh: pats or rats knowing my luck

Steelers5895
01-25-2013, 06:17 PM
New England.

That team needs a deep threat. they dont need a guy to make the tough catches or the 5-10 yard play, they have welker, hernandez and gronk.

they dont have the burner and they are a burner away from a super bowl trip.

SteelersCanada
01-25-2013, 06:33 PM
Jets, Dolphins or Chiefs. Pats wouldn't deal with his apparent attitude problems.

Justp94
01-25-2013, 07:11 PM
A lot of people say the Pats, but they might try for Tavon Austin... and some people say the Dolphins but they could get Cordarrelle Patterson in the 1st round for cheaper because he's a rookie. I'm trying to think of teams that need a fast WR and have a lot of money to spend... hmm...

harrison'samonster
01-25-2013, 07:14 PM
I think the Pats come to mind so easily because their acquisition of Moss in 2007 led to so much success. I think they are a little tight on cap space themselves, and Welker needs to be re-signed.

Viking would be a good fit, he's a step up for them over Harvin.

NSMaster56
01-25-2013, 07:17 PM
Bengals or Browns.

Hawaii 5-0
01-25-2013, 07:40 PM
Miami Dolphins.

AgentGold007
01-25-2013, 07:47 PM
Cleveland has the money.

cbrunn
01-25-2013, 08:02 PM
Bengals have money don't they?? ... AJ Green , Mike Wallace , Andy Dalton , Greshem ... and with a 1st and 2 2nds this year ...

:banging::mad:

OX1947
01-25-2013, 08:34 PM
Hopefully a ditch where there is a Rancor in it.

fer522
01-25-2013, 09:27 PM
I can care less who get him :noidea:

DanRooney
01-25-2013, 09:27 PM
Pittsburgh.

Blackout
01-25-2013, 09:39 PM
Hopefully a ditch where there is a Rancor in it.

But can the Rancor catch Wallace?

steelfury02
01-25-2013, 09:48 PM
he'd have to catch his lightsaber in traffic - not willing to keep a guy who is only capable of force speed

austinfrench76
01-25-2013, 10:43 PM
New England but could also see a Tampa Bay or some outside chancer stepping in.

OX1947
01-25-2013, 11:50 PM
But can the Rancor catch Wallace?

He couldnt run vertical without hitting walls at all ends, Wallace would be dead in minutes. That and the fact that he doesnt try every play.

Buddha Bus
01-26-2013, 06:16 AM
:doh: pats or rats knowing my luck

Fortunately, the Rats are in as much salary cap hell as we are and are talking about not being able to afford to keep everyone. Their problem is made especially worse with Joe Flacco playing as well as he is (I just threw up a little in my mouth) and heading to possible free agency. They will have to pony up quite a bit of cash to keep Flacco now whether it be via franchise tagging him or signing him to a new long-term deal. They also have key defensive players heading to free agency in Ellerbee and Kruger. We can rest assured we won't be seeing Wallace in purple and black next year I think.

I can definitely see him with the Patriots or Browns next year. I'm sure Belichick would love to have a deep threat for Brady that they haven't had since Randy Moss. As Steelers5895 said, it's probably the one thing holding them back from another Super Bowl appearance.

The Browns could seriously use some WR help to put around Weeden (or whoever ends up being their starter next year). Don't forget that their new owner Jimmy Haslam came from the Steelers organization and would have quite a bit of familiarity with Wallace as a player. He could come out aggressive in free agency and try to prove to the fans in Cleveland that he's serious about turning things around there by signing some big name guys like Wallace.

steelfury02
01-26-2013, 06:29 AM
Fortunately, the Rats are in as much salary cap hell as we are and are talking about not being able to afford to keep everyone. Their problem is made especially worse with Joe Flacco playing as well as he is (I just threw up a little in my mouth) and heading to possible free agency. They will have to pony up quite a bit of cash to keep Flacco now whether it be via franchise tagging him or signing him to a new long-term deal. They also have key defensive players heading to free agency in Ellerbee and Kruger. We can rest assured we won't be seeing Wallace in purple and black next year I think.

I can definitely see him with the Patriots or Browns next year. I'm sure Belichick would love to have a deep threat for Brady that they haven't had since Randy Moss. As Steelers5895 said, it's probably the one thing holding them back from another Super Bowl appearance.

The Browns could seriously use some WR help to put around Weeden (or whoever ends up being their starter next year). Don't forget that their new owner Jimmy Haslam came from the Steelers organization and would have quite a bit of familiarity with Wallace as a player. He could come out aggressive in free agency and try to prove to the fans in Cleveland that he's serious about turning things around there by signing some big name guys like Wallace.

What's strange is that Flacco will be making more than Ben - Ben made what 11.5 mil? They're talking Flacco getting something ridiculously front loaded with 16-17 mil a year

Buddha Bus
01-26-2013, 06:38 AM
What's strange is that Flacco will be making more than Ben - Ben made what 11.5 mil? They're talking Flacco getting something ridiculously front loaded with 16-17 mil a year

That's what the Ravens get for dragging their feet with Flacco's contract for a couple of years. Yes, he wasn't setting the world on fire and left a lot of questions to be answered as to whether he was a franchise-type QB so I understand why the Ravens were reluctant to sign him earlier. The converse to that is that he's now playing lights out and in a Super Bowl, and if he wins, he's got them by the balls. Flacco will want paid like a top 5 QB and it will cost the Ravens the opportunity to re-sign some of their other important guys.

steelfury02
01-26-2013, 06:41 AM
That's what the Ravens get for dragging their feet with Flacco's contract for a couple of years. Yes, he wasn't setting the world on fire and left a lot of questions to be answered as to whether he was a franchise-type QB so I understand why the Ravens were reluctant to sign him earlier. The converse to that is that he's now playing lights out and in a Super Bowl, and if he wins, he's got them by the balls. Flacco will want paid like a top 5 QB and it will cost the Ravens the opportunity to re-sign some of their other important guys.

exactly. Lots of Ravens fans down here think this is the beginning of something - while I think the Ravens will always give us a hard time - if/when they break the bank for Flacco - you'll see a couple of other play makers gone. Add their only leader retiring plus potentially having to have the SB Champs target on their backs - next season could be really ugly for the Ravens. Aka - a prime opportunity for our Steelers to play with some more passion and nothing to lose attitude.

Buddha Bus
01-26-2013, 06:55 AM
exactly. Lots of Ravens fans down here think this is the beginning of something - while I think the Ravens will always give us a hard time - if/when they break the bank for Flacco - you'll see a couple of other play makers gone. Add their only leader retiring plus potentially having to have the SB Champs target on their backs - next season could be really ugly for the Ravens. Aka - a prime opportunity for our Steelers to play with some more passion and nothing to lose attitude.

Yeah, I can see a Ravens Super Bowl hangover next year. Lewis will be gone. Ed Reed will be one year older. They will lose a couple of guys to free agency. I could see their center Matt Birk retiring. It'll be tougher for them to return next year for sure.

Galax Steeler
01-26-2013, 06:59 AM
Yeah, I can see a Ravens Super Bowl hangover next year. Lewis will be gone. Ed Reed will be one year older. They will lose a couple of guys to free agency. I could see their center Matt Birk retiring. It'll be tougher for them to return next year for sure.

I think that Reed may retire after this year as well if they win it.

RuHappy69
01-26-2013, 07:03 AM
Arizona with Arens...(sp)

Buddha Bus
01-26-2013, 07:07 AM
I think that Reed may retire after this year as well if they win it.

He was on the radio a couple of weeks ago in Baltimore saying he would be playing next year. I could see him changing his mind if they win it all though. He's always hurt and getting old. He's been chasing this ring his whole career with the Ravens and I could see him leaving if he gets it.

Buddha Bus
01-26-2013, 07:08 AM
Arizona with Arens...(sp)

It'd do him no good without someone to throw it to him though. :noidea:

mikegrimey
01-26-2013, 07:31 AM
The patriots would be a natural fit
Welker is probably done there (he's made a few crucial drops in the playoffs the last two years) but they have the best TE in the game with a pretty good backup one too, a deep threat would help their offense a lot.

wwhickok
01-26-2013, 07:32 AM
I think Baltimore would make a major push for him.

JackH
01-26-2013, 07:48 AM

Browns a possibility as per what you said. The Bengals are another one. They certainly could use a receiver to complement A.J. Green. Coincidentally, those two teams are in excellent cap shape. Same for the Colts. They need another receiver instead of Avery.

Wallace, being from the south, New Orleans, and playing college ball at Ole Miss, might prefer some warmer weather, other things being relatively equal. It’s not all that warmer in Indy, but you do have that retractable roof. I’d think about Arizona and Arians seriously if that team was in better cap shape.

You wonder what effect good buddy Keenan Lewis and where he goes will have on Wallace’s decision, if any.

maddog78
01-26-2013, 08:11 AM
Miami will have upwards of $40M in cap space, Indy will have a lot, too.

I'm guessing he's going to take his talents to Souf Beach.

MeanGee2047
01-26-2013, 08:49 AM
Why.....Arizona of course...that's where all former Steelers go! :hatsoff:

mikegrimey
01-26-2013, 09:02 AM
Browns a possibility as per what you said. The Bengals are another one. They certainly could use a receiver to complement A.J. Green. Coincidentally, those two teams are in excellent cap shape. Same for the Colts. They need another receiver instead of Avery.

Wallace, being from the south, New Orleans, and playing college ball at Ole Miss, might prefer some warmer weather, other things being relatively equal. It’s not all that warmer in Indy, but you do have that retractable roof. I’d think about Arizona and Arians seriously if that team was in better cap shape.

You wonder what effect good buddy Keenan Lewis and where he goes will have on Wallace’s decision, if any.

As to the last part of your statement I think money will have more influence on his decision than where Lewis goes.

torpedoshell31
01-26-2013, 09:03 AM
It seems like maybe the Dolphins have the inside track, and we actually play them next year. With our luck Wallace will probably be making spectacular one-handed catches and fighting for the ball in traffic like Boldin against us.

tanda10506
01-26-2013, 04:29 PM
I hope he goes to Baltimore or New England, his drops and fumbles will give us an edge against them.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
01-26-2013, 04:44 PM
I would be shocked if he were signed by anyone other than the Dolphins.

FrancoLambert
01-26-2013, 10:39 PM
I think the Patriots want him as a deep threat for Brady, something they diidn't have this year.

SteelersCanada
01-26-2013, 10:58 PM
Pats don't have the cap room. The 'Fins do, though, and they're going to win this bidding war. I wouldn't be shocked at all if they ended up with both Bowe and Wallace in FA. They're swimming in cap room and need WRs, and Bowe and Wallace are two pretty good ones that can give Tannehill a legitimate deep threat in Wallace and a good underneath and intermediate guy that has fairly reliable hands in Bowe.

steeltheone
01-26-2013, 11:26 PM
Pats don't have the cap room. The 'Fins do, though, and they're going to win this bidding war. I wouldn't be shocked at all if they ended up with both Bowe and Wallace in FA. They're swimming in cap room and need WRs, and Bowe and Wallace are two pretty good ones that can give Tannehill a legitimate deep threat in Wallace and a good underneath and intermediate guy that has fairly reliable hands in Bowe.

They already have a 1000 yard wideout in Hartline, so i cant see them signing 2 big pay day receivers.

Hawaii 5-0
01-26-2013, 11:52 PM
They already have a 1000 yard wideout in Hartline, so i cant see them signing 2 big pay day receivers.

Tannehill developed a good chemistry with Hartline, so I expect the Dolphins to pay Hartline the $5-6 million/year he is asking for and sign a #1 WR like Bowe or Wallace.

but I agree with you, I doubt they sign two big money WRs...

SteelersCanada
01-27-2013, 12:12 AM

Hartline got 1000 yards because Tannehill didn't have anyone else to throw to. He's a shifty guy, I'll give ya that, but if they both become available I don't see a scenario in which Miami doesn't pursue them both.

I don't know, if I'm the Dolphins I try and get as much help as I can because that team is in trouble. Maybe it's a pipe dream for the 'Fins.

SteelerEmpire
01-27-2013, 11:19 AM
Wallace's first 4 season totals, especially TD's, the same as Fitz, more than Megatron, and way more than Andre Johnson. The difference is those 3 guys all started from day 1, Wallace didn't start as a rookie. The guy had a bad season for whatever reason, but so did Brown and Sanders. I love how everyone is in such a hurry to get rid of the one wr we have that scores td's and thinks it will be so easy to replace. I'm not saying break the bank, just find it funny everyone bitches the O doesn't score enough and everyone can't wait to get rid of, through his 1st 4 seasons, the most prolific scoring wr in the the past 10 seasons.

cbrunn
01-27-2013, 12:59 PM
Wallace's first 4 season totals, especially TD's, the same as Fitz, more than Megatron, and way more than Andre Johnson. The difference is those 3 guys all started from day 1, Wallace didn't start as a rookie. The guy had a bad season for whatever reason, but so did Brown and Sanders. I love how everyone is in such a hurry to get rid of the one wr we have that scores td's and thinks it will be so easy to replace. I'm not saying break the bank, just find it funny everyone bitches the O doesn't score enough and everyone can't wait to get rid of, through his 1st 4 seasons, the most prolific scoring wr in the the past 10 seasons.

:hatsoff:

Steelers fans are so fickle ... I really hope they bring Wallace back

zcoop
01-27-2013, 01:28 PM

I second that.

:hatsoff:

pete74
01-27-2013, 01:43 PM

I have taken heat for saying the same thing. For some reason a lot of people here think heis useless and only hurts the team yet Brown is the next Jerry Rice or something. No clue were these people are coming from

Fire Arians
01-27-2013, 01:44 PM
none of those players had ben roethlisberger at qb in their first 4 seasons except wallace, let's not kid ourselves.

would i trade wallace for any of those above mentioned receivers. in a flash

harrison'samonster
01-27-2013, 01:59 PM
I tend to like Wallace, he does command double teams a lot and that's important.

However, holding out when we were changing our offense and not staying focused did hurt our team. Does he have a bad attitude? I don't think so, and teammates seem to like him and I don't see us getting better without him in one season.

I would be in favor of keeping him, but to me the RB position is a higher priority.

pete74
01-27-2013, 02:41 PM
none of those players had ben roethlisberger at qb in their first 4 seasons except wallace, let's not kid ourselves.

I love Ben but let's not think that he throws 4500 yards and 35 touchdowns a year. As for the other receivers mentioned, I would take them over Wallace myself. All I'm saying is that a lot of people here seem to think he hurts the team for some reason and when we lose him there going to realize how good he was.

SteelersCanada
01-27-2013, 02:42 PM

This. So much of this.

If Calvin Johnson had Ben throwing to him - dear Jesus, imagine his numbers. Same would could be said for Larry and Andre - if they had legitimate Quarterbacks throwing to them they'd have 2000+ yard seasons.

CJ almost had 2000 yards with Stafford as his Quarterback. Imagine what him and Ben could do.

pete74
01-27-2013, 02:47 PM
This. So much of this.

If Calvin Johnson had Ben throwing to him - dear Jesus, imagine his numbers. Same would could be said for Larry and Andre - if they had legitimate Quarterbacks throwing to them they'd have 2000+ yard seasons.

CJ almost had 2000 yards with Stafford as his Quarterback. Imagine what him and Ben could do.

Stafford had over 5000 yards with 41 touchdowns 2 years ago. This season he had right under 5000. When has Ben ever did that. If Wallace played for Detroit the last two years I could easilysay he would have 1600 yards each sseason

SteelersCanada
01-27-2013, 02:51 PM
Stafford had over 5000 yards with 41 touchdowns 2 years ago. This season he had right under 5000. When has Ben ever did that. If Wallace played for Detroit the last two years I could easilysay he would have 1600 yards each sseason

Their offense is also 'throw it deep to Calvin Johnson' and if Ben had a legitimate target like that with an offensive coordinator that didn't treat him like he was made of glass, he could easily have 5000 yards.

Our offensive line hasn't been great, but I think it has the potential to be now. It's time to use Ben effectively and properly now that he's in his prime. Let him throw it deep and make plays happen. Let Ben be Ben.

OX1947
01-27-2013, 02:51 PM
I have taken heat for saying the same thing. For some reason a lot of people here think heis useless and only hurts the team yet Brown is the next Jerry Rice or something. No clue were these people are coming from

Incorrect. Wallace half-assed all year. And he half-assed the last half of last year when word got out he wasn't going to get extended yet. It isn't a coincidence.

Brown had a high ankle sprain that derailed his season. High ankle sprains for a player whos whole game is stop, turn, stop and go is extremely difficult.

Stop looking at numbers folks. Numbers are for losers. I know what I saw. If you look at my post before this year, I never had the distain I had for Wallace up until this year. Because I saw how he played. He played like an ahole. Never coming back to the ball, never running the route when he wasnt getting the ball, falling down 2 yards before a tackler came at him. He played not trying to get hurt like the bitch he is. Eff him I hope he goes somewhere else with his puntang ass.

pete74
01-27-2013, 03:12 PM
Incorrect. Wallace half-assed all year. And he half-assed the last half of last year when word got out he wasn't going to get extended yet. It isn't a coincidence.

Brown had a high ankle sprain that derailed his season. High ankle sprains for a player whos whole game is stop, turn, stop and go is extremely difficult.

Stop looking at numbers folks. Numbers are for losers. I know what I saw. If you look at my post before this year, I never had the distain I had for Wallace up until this year. Because I saw how he played. He played like an ahole. Never coming back to the ball, never running the route when he wasnt getting the ball, falling down 2 yards before a tackler came at him. He played not trying to get hurt like the bitch he is. Eff him I hope he goes somewhere else with his puntang ass.

Wallace had a bad hip if you want to start blaming injuries. Ok say wallace is as bad as you say, then what is Brown who had less yards and touchdowns? I guess you think Brown really sucks.

SteelersCanada
01-27-2013, 03:14 PM
Wallace had a bad hip if you want to start blaming injuries. Ok say wallace is as bad as you say, then what is Brown who had less yards and touchdowns? I guess you think Brown really sucks.

Brown isn't the redzone target. He's sitting behind both Wallace and Miller and Heath has a knack of getting open. If for whatever reason Miller isn't open, Wallace usually is. Brown is third on the pecking order and his TDs reflect that stat. Expecting him to have similar TD numbers as Wallace and/or Miller is silly.

Twentyvalve
01-27-2013, 03:33 PM
That was a fluke. As others have pointed out, that was the Lions' entire game.Where is Stafford now? I don't think the argument was with Ben throwing in particular, it was having a quality QB throwing to those players mentioned. Ben is a quality QB - in states he is in the top 5 every year, sometimes leading with some stats. Imagine Megatron or Fitz with Brady?

They need a go-to receiver other than Miller. We need WR that despite the D absolutely knowing we are going to throw the ball to him makes the play.

I will take consistency, top 5 and better consistency, over a single over-achieving year.

OX1947
01-27-2013, 03:50 PM

The hell does a bad hip have to do with half assing? I have played and watched enough football in my life to know if someone is giving it their all. That chump wasnt giving it his all. If he was as good as you say he is, why are the Steelers going to let him walk?

pete74
01-27-2013, 03:55 PM
The hell does a bad hip have to do with half assing? I have played and watched enough football in my life to know if someone is giving it their all. That chump wasnt giving it his all. If he was as good as you say he is, why are the Steelers going to let him walk?

I'm not saying he is the best. There are many receivers I would rather have. All I'm saying is he is the best on our team.

steeltheone
01-27-2013, 04:54 PM
There were many " half assed" plays coming from Brown this year too, but he could sure celebrate a 6 yard catch on first down!

harrison'samonster
01-27-2013, 05:05 PM
I like how a thread started to specifically NOT bash Wallace has turned into a Wallace and Brown bashing thread.

we must have missed the playoffs this year.

pete74
01-27-2013, 05:52 PM
I like how a thread started to specifically NOT bash Wallace has turned into a Wallace and Brown bashing thread.

we must have missed the playoffs this year.

I agree. We need to get back on topic.

zcoop
01-27-2013, 08:15 PM

Good point, some folks on here forget that the door swings both ways. They love to issue what ifs about Ben having an O Line and the results of such. But they fail to realize that their senarios affects the WRs in a similar manner. You're right, if Mike played in a different system, his numbers would be off the chart.

We've made the best of what we had the last few seasons (minus this one). Ben and Mike have been good for each other but the haterade came after he held out for market value pay. Mike has earned every penny he's been paid by the Steelers (got him on the cheap actually). The peanut gallery can think what they want to but the facts don't lie.