PDA

View Full Version : David Garrard ?

BKAnthem
01-25-2013, 08:06 PM
He's a free agent, more mobile than Lefty, Younger than batch, and would make a serviceable back up....

sloppyjoe
01-25-2013, 08:16 PM
id say yes to that move

AgentGold007
01-25-2013, 08:49 PM
I love the threads where the title is a person's name followed by a question mark.

EbonySteel86
01-25-2013, 08:53 PM
I would like this move!

Fire Arians
01-25-2013, 09:00 PM
i could dig that

Neil-Still-Rules-14
01-25-2013, 10:00 PM
Just have to make sure he's healthy and that he doesn't want a lot of money.

DanRooney
01-25-2013, 10:24 PM
Let me guess...because he's black and the last 3 Steeler backups were black.

David Garrard has been out of football for a long time. The last time he was a slightly above average quarterback was in 2007. Tired of washed up QBs. Ben needs a younger guy behind him.

harrison'samonster
01-25-2013, 10:40 PM

David Garrard has been out of football for a long time. The last time he was a slightly above average quarterback was in 2007. Tired of washed up QBs. Ben needs a younger guy behind him.

is it ok if it's a younger black guy?

zcoop
01-25-2013, 10:57 PM

Color shouldn't matter, as long as the guy's able to manage the offense. Gerrard made the Pro Bowl in 2009 and he is better that either Batch or Leftwich. He's 34 but I think he has a few more productive years of game left.

SteelersCanada
01-25-2013, 11:16 PM
It has nothing to do with race. The hell are you talking about? Should we bring in Tebow because he's white to shake up our back up situation a little bit?

austinfrench76
01-25-2013, 11:47 PM
It actually makes alot of sense. Former starter who is looking for a home and has been hampered by injuries and will never be a #1. Sounds alot like Chaz Batch!!! He looked really good on that Miami HBO show last year. He was gonna start for them until he got hurt. Then became odd man out. Probably won't cost much either!! Go for it.

lloydwoodson
01-26-2013, 03:44 AM
What do you think this is? Jacksonville North? Is Mark Brunell available? Brunell is the all-time leading Jags passer. If we are going to raid the Jags for quarterbacks we should try to take their best players. Blaine Gabbert will be available next season- I just have a feeling.

desertsteel
01-26-2013, 04:18 AM
Tim Tebow :rofl:

steelfury02
01-26-2013, 07:38 AM
What is "Apetit"

Galax Steeler
01-26-2013, 08:02 AM
I think we need to draft a quarterback this year instead of bringing someone in.

harrison'samonster
01-26-2013, 08:29 AM
Color shouldn't matter

oh no doubt, I was just wondering if it would be acceptable to our Mr Rooney

Steelers5895
01-26-2013, 09:00 AM
nah, if we are going to sgn a FA here is my wish list. all have shown flashes and could win in bens absense.

keeping cost in mind, not like we will spend heavy for a back up qb

tyler thigpen
david carr
vince young

yes vince young. former top pick who may be able to get back to the level expected of him. he will be cheap

pete74
01-26-2013, 09:34 AM
He would be good. We know Ben will miss at least his normal 3 gamesand if we get a good backup he wwon'thave to rush back and play poorly at the end of the season like he normally does because he is still injured

MeanGee2047
01-26-2013, 09:45 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing him in camp...but not Vince Young...too much baggage...

torpedoshell31
01-26-2013, 09:55 AM
I remember Garrard beating us in a playoff game. On a 4th and 2, he took off and ran for 40 yards to win the game, but thats been a few years ago. Thigpen has a lot of talent, but he has always had a habit of making mind blowing, Favre like bad plays when the game is on the line. I'd probably lean towards Vince Young, it was just last year he was thrown into a start against the Giants and played outstanding as he led the Eagles to a win.

mikegrimey
01-26-2013, 10:14 AM
Color shouldn't matter, as long as the guy's able to manage the offense. Gerrard made the Pro Bowl in 2009 and he is better that either Batch or Leftwich. He's 34 but I think he has a few more productive years of game left.

That probowl selection was a joke. Since they moved the game to before the Super Bowl and all of the "injuries" preventing people from participating in them, just about anybody can get a probowl selection. Garrards 2009 was extremely average

BKAnthem
01-26-2013, 12:26 PM
Dude would make a good back-up, and should be cheap to get since he has no leverage after being cut last year...he's good for 2-3 games as a spot starter and he doesn't make stupid mistakes with the ball

WVABE
01-26-2013, 12:39 PM
Drafts coming up, I like those options better.

AgentGold007
01-26-2013, 02:56 PM

Yeah, that's it. Smh. The things that must be swirling around in some people's head.

DanRooney
01-26-2013, 03:48 PM

Sure.

Just tired of the old washed up guys that get sent here. You don't see any vets backing up Brady or Rodgers.

pczach
01-26-2013, 04:05 PM
Sure.

Just tired of the old washed up guys that get sent here. You don't see any vets backing up Brady or Rodgers.

That's because the last time Brady got hurt was when he blew out his knee several years ago. Matt Cassel took over and looked great. He went to Kansas City and has blown ever since. Amazing what a great offensive line and sliding to the ground with the game on the line can do to extend your career and eliminate injuries!:wink02:

harrison'samonster
01-26-2013, 04:06 PM
Sure.

thanks. You had me worried there. In print your comment about our last three back ups looked bad. I agree about older back-ups, but if both Batch and Lefty are gone next season an experienced back-up is a good pick up.

pczach
01-26-2013, 04:18 PM
You guys seem to forget that when Batch came to the Steelers, he was not an old man. He also may have been the best backup in the NFL for a good number of years. I love Charlie. He's been awesome for this team. If you could find an 8 or 9 year vet that you could get on the cheap, I say why not. I think the plan here is still to win now, so you would want a backup that could come in and give you a chance to win NOW. Draft a guy late, but while the team still has a chance to win, you've got to make moves for immediate help. That's how I see it.

tanda10506
01-26-2013, 05:35 PM
Garrard would be a great choice for backup QB provided he passed the physical tests. Drafting a backup QB gets continually brought up, and while I do think we need a new backup QB, we don't need to waste a pick on one. I'd like to see us draft an immediate impact QB early in the first round whenever it appears that Ben is nearing his end, but I don't see why you would want to draft a guy just to be a backup. If his quality of play match's his play in Jacksonville then we could be comfortable with him stepping in for a few games.

Steelers5895
01-26-2013, 06:02 PM
Vince Young
Tyler Thigpan
David Carr

other than Carr they would take league minimum to play. draft a rookie late and let him sit.

casteeler
01-26-2013, 06:10 PM
I can't wait till the Steelers draft a QB this year and we can stop talking about worthless nobody's like David Garrard. Hey I have an idea lets replace the 2 sorry excuses for backups for a differant sorry excuse for a backup!:applaudit:

SteelersCanada
01-26-2013, 06:59 PM
I can't wait till the Steelers draft a QB this year and we can stop talking about worthless nobody's like David Garrard. Hey I have an idea lets replace the 2 sorry excuses for backups for a differant sorry excuse for a backup!:applaudit:

You're right, let's draft a backup Quarterback in one of the weakest Quarterback classes in recent memory.

casteeler
01-26-2013, 07:57 PM
You're right, let's draft a backup Quarterback in one of the weakest Quarterback classes in recent memory.

Yes

harrison'samonster
01-26-2013, 08:02 PM

anybody in particular you like in the draft?

lloydwoodson
01-26-2013, 09:22 PM
That's because the last time Brady got hurt was when he blew out his knee several years ago. Matt Cassel took over and looked great. He went to Kansas City and has blown ever since. Amazing what a great offensive line and sliding to the ground with the game on the line can do to extend your career and eliminate injuries!:wink02:

Actually, Matt Cassel had his best season in Kansas City under Todd Haley, throwing for 27 touchdowns and only 7 interceptions. Just goes to show quarterbacks determine the success of the offense far more than any other player or any coach.

casteeler
01-26-2013, 10:57 PM
anybody in particular you like in the draft?

Landry Jones looks promising. Everyone says this QB draft class is weak but the fact is how many QBs coming out of college are as great in the NFL as expected?Colbert stated that the Steelers wouldn't rule out drafting a QB early and frankly they know a hell of a lot more than we do so I'd like to think they have a plan. The Steelers need to address the backup QB issue,There is probably someone the Steelers orginization has been looking at for a while.

FrancoLambert
01-26-2013, 11:31 PM

But Garrard's probably a better sorry excuse for a backup quarterback than Batch and Leftwich.

SteelersCanada
01-26-2013, 11:56 PM
Actually, Matt Cassel had his best season in Kansas City under Todd Haley, throwing for 27 touchdowns and only 7 interceptions. Just goes to show quarterbacks determine the success of the offense far more than any other player or any coach.

He threw 27 TDs to 7 INTs in 2010, right when Jamaal Charles had arguably his best statistical year of his career. That's no coincidence. When a team has a legitimate Running Back and is two-dimensional, throwing becomes that much easier.

Need to address our RB situation before we even think about addressing our backup situation in the draft. There's too many decent options as a band-aid for the next year or while we reload positions where Ben Roethlisberger isn't the starter.

steeltheone
01-27-2013, 12:33 AM
He threw 27 TDs to 7 INTs in 2010, right when Jamaal Charles had arguably his best statistical year of his career. That's no coincidence. When a team has a legitimate Running Back and is two-dimensional, throwing becomes that much easier.

Need to address our RB situation before we even think about addressing our backup situation in the draft. There's too many decent options as a band-aid for the next year or while we reload positions where Ben Roethlisberger isn't the starter.

Not sure you can think that way....Ben goes down ( which will happen more and more ) Season over.

SteelersCanada
01-27-2013, 01:16 AM
Not sure you can think that way....Ben goes down ( which will happen more and more ) Season over.

I don't see how Ben going down is going to happen more and more considering we've spent 4 1st or 2nd round picks on our offensive line, but that's besides the point right now. We can't deal in the worst possible situation or hypotheticals, we have to deal with what's on the table right now - we don't have a Running Back or a legitimate third WR option to play with Manny and AB. Our defense is getting older and we don't have a Safety or OLB to replace Troy or Harrison. We don't have a legitimate ILB to play alongside Timmons and we don't have anyone to take over for Clark when he finally hangs them up. There's too many holes at other positions for us to concentrate on drafting a Quarterback in this years draft, especially considering how weak it is.

Garrard is a good band-aid as is someone like Hoyer until we've shored up these other positions and can afford to spend a 3rd / 4th on a Quarterback option that may be capable of taking over for Ben when that day comes.

jiminpa
01-28-2013, 09:23 PM
Um, we already have the sucky guy Garrard sat on the bench behind. No thanks.

BlaZeQuietly
01-29-2013, 01:21 AM
I don't see how Ben going down is going to happen more and more considering we've spent 4 1st or 2nd round picks on our offensive line, but that's besides the point right now. We can't deal in the worst possible situation or hypotheticals, we have to deal with what's on the table right now - we don't have a Running Back or a legitimate third WR option to play with Manny and AB. Our defense is getting older and we don't have a Safety or OLB to replace Troy or Harrison. We don't have a legitimate ILB to play alongside Timmons and we don't have anyone to take over for Clark when he finally hangs them up. There's too many holes at other positions for us to concentrate on drafting a Quarterback in this years draft, especially considering how weak it is.

Garrard is a good band-aid as is someone like Hoyer until we've shored up these other positions and can afford to spend a 3rd / 4th on a Quarterback option that may be capable of taking over for Ben when that day comes.

some people think mende is the answer lmfao

LVSteelersfan
01-29-2013, 12:28 PM
Hoyer please. Garrard, no way. No more washed up QBs to back up Ben. He is not serviceable. He is not good. Why even bother bringing in someone like that? Why don't we just get Dante Culpepper or Donovan McNabb? They make about as much sense as Garrard. Hoyer has been in the league long enough to know the drill and would not cost a fortune to bring in. Plus he is not "OLD AS THE HILLS". No more geriatric QBs please.