PDA

View Full Version : WR/Safety in the First Round

Steel95
01-27-2013, 09:15 AM
Patterson, Cordarrelle - WR-6'3-205-Tennessee

Kenny Vaccaro - Safety-Texas

I'm skeptical on Patterson, although he has the skill set to play WR and he appears to be a playmaker (Something the Steelers desperately needs at the WR position), the guys drops way too many passes, he showboats too much as well. If he is still there in the 2nd, I would think hard about taking him though. No way is he a 1st round selection.

Vaccaro - Probably a little high on taking a Safety at #17 as well; but I've seen this guy play, he reminds me a lot of Carnell Lake. He's fearsome! He can also play a little corner if needed.

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

pete74
01-27-2013, 11:20 AM
I wouldn't touch Patterson in the first. He is really good but I could see him never living up to his potential as well

SteelersCanada
01-27-2013, 11:36 AM
I like Patterson and I'd take him in the first round if he's sitting there, but there are a couple things that concern me. Only 3 games in which he had more than 4 catches is a little concerning, but that could be pointed to his Quarterback. I think the potential is there and if he's working with Scottie, he might just be able to hit that potential.

If we're going Safety in the first, it's gotta be Elam. Vaccaro won't be there.

Hawaii 5-0
01-27-2013, 01:55 PM
here is bleacherreport's post - Senior Bowl 7-round Steelers mock draft:

Round 1: Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee

Round 2: Zach Ertz, TE, Stanford

Round 3: Marcus Lattimore, RB, South Carolina

Round 4: Sean Porter, LB, Texas A&M

Round 5: Jonathan Cyprien, S, Florida International

Round 6: B.W. Webb, CB, William & Mary

Round 7: Tanner Hawkinson, OL, Kansas

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...er-senior-bowl

cbrunn
01-27-2013, 01:56 PM
Patterson could very well become the 1st WR off the board anyway

I think this is the perfect year to trade back ... this draft is real deep with quality players , but no real game changers especially at 17

Fire Arians
01-27-2013, 02:03 PM
yeah i can see us picking WR in round 1 especially if wallace leaves (which is very likely)

kan_t
01-27-2013, 02:06 PM

I like this draft. If they don't pick a OLB in the first two rounds, Sean Porter is my pick.

Fire Arians
01-27-2013, 02:40 PM
lattimore is a risk but if he can rehab from his injury successfully that'd be a steal in rd 3. but that's always the risk you take drafting someone recovering from a major injury

but sometimes taking risks pay off, after all we took a risk on hines ward in rd. 3, who dropped because of a missing ACL. he panned out really well for us i'd say, only becoming one of the greatest steelers who ever played

wwhickok
01-27-2013, 04:27 PM
I really like Vaccaro but Im also all for the BPA, especially if its a top 10 talent that slides.

WVABE
01-27-2013, 04:48 PM
Guess I'm the only one that would try to snag Tyler Wilson in the 1st.

steeltheone
01-27-2013, 05:49 PM
At pick 17...We need a player that can help now, not on his 3rd year.

WVABE
01-27-2013, 06:12 PM
At pick 17...We need a player that can help now, not on his 3rd year.

Remember that when Ben goes down for a few weeks and Lefty is at the helm.

kent
01-27-2013, 08:23 PM
Can you imagine what drafting a Qb in the first would do to Ben' s ego. Now on the other hand if you got him a big receiver the opposite would happen.

cbrunn
01-27-2013, 08:29 PM
Can you imagine what drafting a Qb in the first would do to Ben' s ego. Now on the other hand if you got him a big receiver the opposite would happen.

Justin Hunter is my guy ... He didn't look as good last year but I doubt his knee was 100% ... this would be going into year 2, that knee should be 100% and you get somebody that was being compared to AJ Green ...

DanRooney
01-27-2013, 09:33 PM
If we choose a WR with our good position in the draft I will vomit all over the place.

desertsteel
01-27-2013, 11:39 PM

LOL... between that and BA being gone, he would need therapy!

kent
01-27-2013, 11:56 PM
If we choose a WR with our good position in the draft I with vomit all over the place.

I agree, I wouldnt mind picking up a Robert Woods type in the second or third though. We desperately need a big physical threat especially with Heath being out.

SteelersCanada
01-28-2013, 12:05 AM
Guess I'm the only one that would try to snag Tyler Wilson in the 1st.

I get the reasoning behind wanting to take a Quarterback in the first round, but we just can't. There's way too much defensive talent stacked in this class for us to consider taking a Quarterback at all, let alone in the first round.

This is a weak Quarterback class and in fact, might be the weakest in recent memory. There isn't a Quarterback worth taking in the first round other than Geno Smith. We can use someone like Garrard or Hoyer as a band-aid option until there's a legitimate Quarterback option in the draft we can take.

Steeldude
01-28-2013, 12:08 AM
If we choose a WR with our good position in the draft I with vomit all over the place.

Exactly. If the Steelers pick a WR in the first you will have the same fans next year asking for a WR in the first and so on...

Replacing Wallace shouldn't be difficult. All they need to do is find a WR with a great 40 time. To be like Wallace all the WR needs to do put forth minimal to zero effort, drop passes and run straight ahead. Then do all of that for a fraction of what Wallace wants.

TRH
01-28-2013, 05:13 AM

i hear ya!
Good news is that every mock draft i've seen from the draft experts has us taking defense, defense, defense and more defense.
No worries here.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
01-28-2013, 08:22 AM
Kenny vaccaro is the pick if available at 17

wwhickok
01-28-2013, 08:53 AM

I've been saying this and I am glad that others are too. He actually reminds me a lot of Troy but I think he is a bit less 'wreckless'(though not much less) and a better wrap up tackler. Obviously there are areas he needs to improve but as often as Troy is injured Kenny figures in to be an immdiate help.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
01-28-2013, 08:57 AM
I've been saying this and I am glad that others are too. He actually reminds me a lot of Troy but I think he is a bit less 'wreckless'(though not much less) and a better wrap up tackler. Obviously there are areas he needs to improve but as often as Troy is injured Kenny figures in to be an immdiate help.

Kenny vaccaro would make an immediate impact in our nickel defense either covering the slot guy or tight ends which he did a lot in Texas, then take over at safety once Troy/Clark are gone

kan_t
01-28-2013, 09:12 AM
Exactly. If the Steelers pick a WR in the first you will have the same fans next year asking for a WR in the first and so on...

Replacing Wallace shouldn't be difficult. All they need to do is find a WR with a great 40 time. To be like Wallace all the WR needs to do put forth minimal to zero effort, drop passes and run straight ahead. Then do all of that for a fraction of what Wallace wants.
Yes it's difficult to replace him. Everyone knows that he would run straight ahead and he still beat most of the coverage. He is that fast. He demands other teams' deep coverage which is a huge advantage to other WR and TE. The real question is whether the Steelers needs to replace his deep threat role. He is a perfect fit in a big play scheme but not so much in Haley's scheme.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
01-28-2013, 09:20 AM
Yes it's difficult to replace him. Everyone knows that he would run straight ahead and he still beat most of the coverage. He is that fast. He demands other teams' deep coverage which is a huge advantage to other WR and TE. The real question is whether the Steelers needs to replace his deep threat role. He is a perfect fit in a big play scheme but not so much in Haley's scheme.

Exactly Wallace's skills didn't fit Haley system all to well. If we go wr and if he drops to us in round 2 I'm all for deandre Hopkins from Clemson. You can look up his skills, strengths and weaknesses but I just want to point out other than being a great wr prospect the guy is not a showboat. Watch game film and specially highlights, when he scores a td he throws the ball to the ref and goes on the sideline. I hate when brown and sanders get first downs and act like its the biggest play that day----get back to the huddle and score. Seems like Hopkins is a good character guy as well ( that's just from what I saw on film)

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
01-28-2013, 09:54 AM
Exactly Wallace's skills didn't fit Haley system all to well. If we go wr and if he drops to us in round 2 I'm all for deandre Hopkins from Clemson. You can look up his skills, strengths and weaknesses but I just want to point out other than being a great wr prospect the guy is not a showboat. Watch game film and specially highlights, when he scores a td he throws the ball to the ref and goes on the sideline. I hate when brown and sanders get first downs and act like its the biggest play that day----get back to the huddle and score. Seems like Hopkins is a good character guy as well ( that's just from what I saw on film)

Coming from a Clemson fan Hopkins is the real deal, just the the way he played this year and also coming up in big clutch moments like he did against LSU in the Sugar Bowl that last drive was beautiful lol
dCVWGxNjF_k

LVSteelersfan
01-28-2013, 12:40 PM
No WR in the first round. That would be plain stupid. We have a lower draft pick than we have had in awhile. Get a stud LB or CB (if we don't hang onto Keenan Lewis). Did someone actually mention a QB in the first round? You have got to be kidding. There is no way they draft a QB first. I think Hoyer would be a good backup if they can get him back. He is not geriatric and worked in a good system under Belicheat. I think he would be good enough to play a few games if needed. He would probably be at least as good as a lot of the starters we had back in the 90s which is all you need for a backup QB.

AgentGold007
01-28-2013, 02:58 PM
I think we get the best value by drafting an impact player that can start on day one on defense. Although I would not be disappointed at all if they drafted Vaccaro in the first round, I doubt very seriously he'll be a day one starter, unless Troy or Clark are injured, which wouldn't be a shock either, but under the assumption they stay relatively healthy, we won't see Vaccaro for maybe two years. I think we'd get the most immediate impact if we drafted either an ILB, OLB, or DT. Not saying necessarily that we have to take them in the first round to get immediate impact, just saying that the chances are a lot higher for getting a quick return on our investment if we addressed those positions with premium talent. With that being said, I still don't think that Manti Te'o would be out of the question if he's sitting there when the Steelers pick. I know there's a lot of drama surrounding him right now, but he's still the same player that most of us would have jumped for joy if the Steelers had a chance to draft him. He may have imaginary girlfriends, but he's still a hell of a football player, and I guarantee if we pass on him, the ravens won't. Maybe we can draft ILB, OLB, or DT in the first and then pick up Baccari Rambo in the 2nd or 3rd.

AgentGold007
01-28-2013, 03:05 PM
I doubt very seriously that we draft a WR in the first round. I think with the Steelers success of finding receivers in the third round and beyond, I think they believe that they can find a legit receiver after the first round.

teegre
01-28-2013, 03:48 PM
I doubt very seriously that we draft a WR in the first round. I think with the Steelers success of finding receivers in the third round and beyond, I think they believe that they can find a legit receiver after the first round.

Colbert had flat-out stated that teams can find WRs and RBs in the later rounds... which, he has.

The one "exception" was Spinny... which, seemed more of a "Tomlin not liking FWP & wanting a RB NOW" than a Colbert type of move.

teegre
01-28-2013, 03:49 PM

While I love Elam, I honestly have to admit that it's probably going to be Vaccaro, which is fine by me (Vaccaro is my "1-a").

ebsteelers
01-28-2013, 03:50 PM

i would cream my shorts if we got those first four...

then again i was creaming my shorts after last years first 5 picks and look where it left me...

with cream filled shorts and not even a playoff apperance :banging:

teegre
01-28-2013, 03:54 PM
lattimore is a risk but if he can rehab from his injury successfully that'd be a steal in rd 3. but that's always the risk you take drafting someone recovering from a major injury

but sometimes taking risks pay off, after all we took a risk on hines ward in rd. 3, who dropped because of a missing ACL. he panned out really well for us i'd say, only becoming one of the greatest steelers who ever played

I've been saying to draft Lattimore for a while now... but, I think that he lasts until R4. (Most people are projecting him to go in R5.)

Regardless, it is a risky move, but one that could pay HUGE dividends.

Fire Arians
01-28-2013, 04:47 PM
Colbert had flat-out stated that teams can find WRs and RBs in the later rounds... which, he has.

The one "exception" was Spinny... which, seemed more of a "Tomlin not liking FWP & wanting a RB NOW" than a Colbert type of move.

to be fair, mendenhall was expected to go earlier and was considered a steal where we picked him (at the time)

not sure if tomlin really wanted him or we just took BPA. based on mendy's athletic ability, he always had the potential to be a game breaker. and call me crazy but i still think he can be that guy. he should be fully healed from his ACL injury by now, and in haley's system, i think he can be a star

Steel95
01-28-2013, 05:38 PM

If his self esteem is that low, I would prefer another QB. Who cares what he thinks? That's part of this team's problem; #7 thinks the game is always about him, too arrogant. I really don't think there is a true #1 QB in this draft anyway. But if the kid from West Virginia or the one from USC slips to #17, you have to consider it.

OX1947
01-28-2013, 05:51 PM
to be fair, mendenhall was expected to go earlier and was considered a steal where we picked him (at the time)

not sure if tomlin really wanted him or we just took BPA. based on mendy's athletic ability, he always had the potential to be a game breaker. and call me crazy but i still think he can be that guy. he should be fully healed from his ACL injury by now, and in haley's system, i think he can be a star

Mendy is what Trent Richardson is going to be. Big, fast, versatile, etc. Only thing is, Richardson has the mind set to be a great football player. Mendy is too busy twittering about World issues.

Justp94
01-28-2013, 06:14 PM
I'd pick a WR in the 3rd... Preferably Da'Rick Rogers...
Then a RB like Montee Ball in the 2nd...
Swearinger in the 4th
and an OLB/DE in the 1st... We need a pass rusher more than anything...

BlaZeQuietly
01-29-2013, 01:30 AM
Patterson, Cordarrelle - WR-6'3-205-Tennessee

Kenny Vaccaro - Safety-Texas

I'm skeptical on Patterson, although he has the skill set to play WR and he appears to be a playmaker (Something the Steelers desperately needs at the WR position), the guys drops way too many passes, he showboats too much as well. If he is still there in the 2nd, I would think hard about taking him though. No way is he a 1st round selection.

Vaccaro - Probably a little high on taking a Safety at #17 as well; but I've seen this guy play, he reminds me a lot of Carnell Lake. He's fearsome! He can also play a little corner if needed.

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Nope- I don't like it, we need to get a running back and work on our O line, it would be a huge boost to our offense. We ranked 17th with 20.6 PPG, which was actually a little more than 2011, but we really struggled to score 20 points against anyone near the end of the season. id really like to see us putting up 25+ ppg and I think that can be accomplished if we make our offense more 2 dimensional and actually have a running game.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
01-29-2013, 01:50 AM
Nope- I don't like it, we need to get a running back and work on our O line, it would be a huge boost to our offense. We ranked 17th with 20.6 PPG, which was actually a little more than 2011, but we really struggled to score 20 points against anyone near the end of the season. id really like to see us putting up 25+ ppg and I think that can be accomplished if we make our offense more 2 dimensional and actually have a running game.

I agree with the rb part but not in first or second and disagree with the oline part. During athree game stretch when we had starkd foster pouncey colon and adams we had three games of which we ran more than 125 yards maybe more. Then adams went down so did colon. Our online should be very good when healthy. Now free agency hadnt happenef so we dont know whos staying and whos going but we can assume that foster will be likely to stay so we have gilbert foster pouncey dd adams which would make a solid line. Just need depth so rounds5 and on.

Fire Arians
01-29-2013, 02:45 PM

you take vaccaro if he's there at 17, there's no running backs that are 1st round talent. plenty options at rd. 2-4. hell the top pick at rb (lacy) might not even go until the 2nd round.

though if chance warmack is there at 17 that might also be hard to pass up, that would all but guarantee we have all the cogs in place at OL until the next decade

pete74
01-29-2013, 03:51 PM
you take vaccaro if he's there at 17, there's no running backs that are 1st round talent. plenty options at rd. 2-4. hell the top pick at rb (lacy) might not even go until the 2nd round.

though if chance warmack is there at 17 that might also be hard to pass up, that would all but guarantee we have all the cogs in place at OL until the next decade

Not really. First off there is no way I want another top pick used on our line. Next, if everyone does pan out we will lose them anyway. Pouncey is going to want a new contract after next season. Everyone here says he is the best center so he is going to want to be paid as the best center in the game
If DeCastro and Adams do as well as I expect them to then there goingtto have to fork out big money on them in 3 years
Gilbert will be ready for a new contract in two years and if he is our starting left tackle like he is expected to be for the next two years then he's going to want Left Tackle money
What I'm getting at is we will be lucky if we can keep who we have. We can't afford to spend another top pick on a lineman

wwhickok
01-30-2013, 07:37 AM
Here is my issue with the contracts I don't necessarily feel the Steelers have been as smart with their spending as other teams have. There are other teams that have success without running out of money and the Steelers are always in cap trouble. They gotta be smarter about contract negotiating. They have to fimd a way to keep our core players in the future.

steelfury02
01-30-2013, 08:18 AM
Here is my issue with the contracts I don't necessarily feel the Steelers have been as smart with their spending as other teams have. There are other teams that have success without running out of money and the Steelers are always in cap trouble. They gotta be smarter about contract negotiating. They have to fimd a way to keep our core players in the future.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Gilbert let go eventually, regardless if he produces upon return - I don't see things adding up to keep him on top of Pouncey, DeCastro - that's unless you pull a NE for a few seasons and are able to get huge production out of low-paid players - don't see how we can afford to pay every position on offense and keep the O-line.

Steelers have a big problem on their hands IMO - no true #1 who is physical and sure hands in traffic. On top of that, no franchise running back who takes the pressure off of Ben. On top of that, going to come into linemen wanting paid over the next few seasons. Big, big dilemma. Then - you have young, developing talent on defense that could have a breakout performance and contribute in a huge way that will want paid - then there is the secondary - just not even close to enough to spread the $$ around.

Phew - plenty of juggling.

teegre
01-30-2013, 08:36 AM

Other teams have the same problem(s)... we just don't hear about it.

The Ravens' method is to purge every few years. Then, they have a 5-11 season. And then, they try again. Next year will be an easy purge, since Lewis, Reed, & Birk are all retiring.

The Chargers simply allow all if their best player to walk; they don't pay anyone (except LT).

The Taperiots also do not sign anyone, except Brady & Welker... & Wilfork. That's why their defense is a rotation of young players... who never seem to be "great" (but, are good & cheap).

Et cetera.

Brett040489
01-31-2013, 12:12 AM
I think that a perfect running back for our offense to pair with one of our bigger backs (who ever we keep) would be Joe Randel out of Oklahoma State. He is great in space, runs hard, has incredible hands out of the back field and is very durable. He is projected some where around the 3-4 round and he would flourish in our offense.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
01-31-2013, 12:38 AM
I think that a perfect running back for our offense to pair with one of our bigger backs (who ever we keep) would be Joe Randel out of Oklahoma State. He is great in space, runs hard, has incredible hands out of the back field and is very durable. He is projected some where around the 3-4 round and he would flourish in our offense.

Whole lot of options now with thw hiring of the new oline coach and him running a zone blocking scheme supposedly. It will be interesting to see what happens in free agency and the draft for rbs. Im leaning towars gillisie