PDA

View Full Version : My First 'Official' Mock of 2013

SteelersCanada
01-28-2013, 04:30 PM
Can mocks be official? Seems kind of silly. Anyway, here's my first 'official' mock of 2013.

R1. Dion Jordan - DE / converted to OLB - Oregon

This pick hasn't and won't change for me. I wrote an article about why I think he's an elite prospect and talent which is still sitting at 0 replies, so I guess that isn't the popular choice on these forums so because of that, I won't go into why I like him or why I think he'll be our first. Right now, he's the only guy I would take over Vaccaro because of the need we have at OLB and the lack of depth in this draft for legitimate pass-rushers.

R2. David Amerson - CB / converted to FS - North Carolina State

He's a ballhawk. 12 interceptions in 2011 and 16 pass defensed. This is the kind of guy we're missing in the backfield right now. We have Ryan Clark who is a very good Run Support FS, but he can't pick off passes consistently and is better when he's playing in the box. He's also up there in age as well. On the other side, we have Troy who hasn't been the same for years. He's obviously lost a step and can no longer create turnovers at the pace we need him to. Amerson is the kind of guy that can step in and create turnovers when he eventually takes over the reigns for Clark. He wouldn't start next year, but he would make an instantaneous impact on ST and has the potential to play specific packages for us.

R3. Jonathan Cyprien - SS - Florida International

Talk about a 1 / 2 punch with Cyprien and Amerson in 2014. Cyprien hits hard and plays harder. A guy that was turning heads all week at the Senior Bowl shot his draft stock up from a potentially undrafted to a third round draft choice - not bad for a weeks work. He's not only a big hitter, he's also great in coverage. He plays like a Polamalu in the fact that he can play in the box but also has the ability to blanket receivers and often times plays his best when he's able to play on the line of scrimmage and jam receivers when he's asked. He didn't get to showcase his ability to blitz or disrupt so that's the only question mark here for him. A great pickup for us.

R4. Marcus Lattimore - RB - South Carolina

Here he is. Look, this is probably the safest pick in the entire draft for us. A fourth round pick spent on a guy that has the potential to be our franchise Running Back for years. Everyone knows about his potential and the upside he brings so I won't ramble. I do think he's going to be ready for the NFL come September and I do think he's going to be our starting Running Back. Here's a picture for you guys - Marcus Lattimore running behind Pouncey and DeCastro. Yeah, I'll take it.

R5. Nico Johnson - LB - Alabama

I've been catching a lot of heat for knocking Spence and questioning his ability and whether or not he's going to be our guy. Now, I'm not going to open that can of worms, but I think Johnson is the better overall prospect and a better fit for us. He isn't great in coverage and this is something I'll concede, but most 'experts' had him as a sure-fire first rounder going into the 2012 season. He was overshadowed on a defense that has elite playmakers at every single position on the field and now that will ultimately benefit us. He's excellent against the run and can stuff plays at the line of scrimmage. He's a bigger, faster and stronger Larry Foote with better coverage ability. While he isn't great in coverage, he's good enough to free up Timmons and allow him to blitz and disrupt the line consistently which would ultimately help Jordan and Woodley get pressure.

R6. Michael Williams - TE - Alabama

This is another guy that turned heads at the Senior Bowl, but didn't do enough to launch his stock considerably. This is a project pick, but a great one. If he's able to work and learn under Miller, this guy is the next Heath Miller. He's fast and agile enough to get separation but big enough with sure-hands to be a legitimate redzone target. This could potentially be the best pick of the 2013 draft and not just for us - but period.

R7. Marquess Wilson - WR - Washington State

Another project pick. The guy can just catch passes. He possesses deceptive speed and is lean and athletic enough to get separation. The only knock on this guy is his size. He's listed as 6'3 188 lbs., but looks closer to 175 in reality. He needs to bulk up and continue to put size on but if he's able to accomplish this, I think he's going to be a very good pick for us. This guy has the potential to be the next Antonio Brown type player for this team.

harrison'samonster
01-28-2013, 05:21 PM
very nice looking draft, sounds like the type of players we could use

cbrunn
01-28-2013, 08:02 PM
1 - I don't like Dion Jordan ... obvious reasons i've stated before ...
2 - I love Amerson , and in the 2nd he's great, I would even think about him in the 1st ... Yes this year he played a couple bad games, but he's a playmaker and somebody I would feel comfortable with playing FS and even man coverage against TE as he got the length to get around their big bodies
3 - I really like Cyprien also , seems like a guy worth a 3-4th round selection... only question is who are you taking him over? somebody like Philip Thomas then no, but if he's off the board I would like Cyprien or Duke Williams
4- Yes i know clear cut 1st round guy before the injury... but no thanks , wayyy to many injury concerns for me... might make some team happy in a couple years , but don't think we are in the position to take that gamble... especially over guys like Gillislee or Barner
5 - No thanks on Nico Johnson... I think got to snag up Michael Williams here or even the 4th, I think the senior bowl showed he's more then just a blocker and can be a good all around TE
6 - I love Michael Williams but like I said I think that's to low for him after his senior bowl
7 - Good potential but with the character problems this year I doubt they take any "Fliers" this year

PhantomJB93
01-28-2013, 09:38 PM
I like it. I'm growing worried that with more and more athletes making complete recoveries from ACL injuries in recent years, Lattimore will go much earlier than many expect him to, but to be honest I wouldn't be upset if we used our third or maybe even our second to snag him if that's what it took.

SteelersCanada
01-28-2013, 11:12 PM
I like it. I'm growing worried that with more and more athletes making complete recoveries from ACL injuries in recent years, Lattimore will go much earlier than many expect him to, but to be honest I wouldn't be upset if we used our third or maybe even our second to snag him if that's what it took.

I thought about that for a while too. Then, Gillislee and Barner both had great Senior Bowl appearances and other scouts are starting to warm up to Knile Davis out of Arkansas. I think that most teams will watch that tape of Lattimore's injury and breeze right over him until the fifth round which can only mean we've found our franchise guy in the fourth.

If Colbert and Tomlin are feeling a little antsy about that though, I wouldn't be at all upset or surprised if they took him in the third round. This is a deep secondary class and someone like Lester or Thomas will be on the board in the fourth round waiting to be scooped. Either way, Lattimore in the Black and Gold is a good thing.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
01-29-2013, 12:56 AM
Injuries and bad character have plagued the steelers last year and years before. So I believe they will be looking for guys with a clean bill of health and good character ( rooney and Colbert already mention about chatacter )

kan_t
01-29-2013, 10:18 AM
1) Dion Jordan - Always a fan and love this pick. Could you share the link of your post? I think I have missed it.
2) David Amerson - Not sure if we would draft a CB in the second round. A WR or S will be more likely IMO.
3) Jonathan Cyprien - Like this pick. My third choice of Safety, behind Vaccaro and Elam.
4) Marcus Lattimore - Like this pick. Relatively low risk, high reward pick.
5) Nico Johnson - Like this pick. But I'm not sure he will still be available at this round.
6) Michael Williams- Always a fan and love this pick. Excellent blocker and he has shown that he can catch when he's given the opportunity. But like Nico Johnson, I'm not sure he will still be available at the 6th round. Picking him at the 5th may be safer.
7) Marquess Wilson - Not familiar with him so no comment.

I like your draft overall except the second round. I would pick a WR there.

SteelersCanada
01-29-2013, 10:31 AM
1) Dion Jordan - Always a fan and love this pick. Could you share the link of your post? I think I have missed it.
2) David Amerson - Not sure if we would draft a CB in the second round. A WR or S will be more likely IMO.
5) Nico Johnson - Like this pick. But I'm not sure he will still be available at this round.
6) Michael Williams- Always a fan and love this pick. Excellent blocker and he has shown that he can catch when he's given the opportunity. But like Nico Johnson, I'm not sure he will still be available at the 6th round. Picking him at the 5th may be safer.

I like your draft overall except the second round. I would pick a WR there.

Here's a link to my article I wrote on Jordan http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=96124

I agree that even if Lewis walks, our need for a CB would still be relatively low. However, I'm all for drafting Amerson and throwing him to FS and letting him be the FS of the future for this team. Cyprien and Amerson compliment each others' skillsets perfectly. Cyprien could play in the box and disrupt, while Ameson could play downfield and pick off passes. Man, I love that combination.

I honestly think Johnson is going to be there in the 5th. He had a pretty poor Senior Bowl and damaged an already down-trending draft stock. People aren't going to be willing to take a shot at him because of this and it will ultimately result to him being drafted later than he should have been. I'll admit that Williams is probably going to be gone before the 6th, but a guy can hope! :drink:

SteelersCanada
02-05-2013, 02:45 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Report: Three NFL sources I spoke to this morning have Corey Lemonier as their top DE prospect. I have him in Round 2. Time to re-evaluate</p>&mdash; Matt Miller (@nfldraftscout) <a href="https://twitter.com/nfldraftscout/status/298854800928415745">February 5, 2013</a></blockquote>

Wasn't sure where else to put this, but apparently Lemonier is shooting up draft boards. I'd be willing to bet the Steelers have their eye on this kid. I'll come right out and admit it - I was dead wrong about this kid. I'll have to go reevaluate but Matt is a reliable and often times right on the money source.

cbrunn
02-05-2013, 07:00 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Report: Three NFL sources I spoke to this morning have Corey Lemonier as their top DE prospect. I have him in Round 2. Time to re-evaluate</p>&mdash; Matt Miller (@nfldraftscout) <a href="https://twitter.com/nfldraftscout/status/298854800928415745">February 5, 2013</a></blockquote>

Wasn't sure where else to put this, but apparently Lemonier is shooting up draft boards. I'd be willing to bet the Steelers have their eye on this kid. I'll come right out and admit it - I was dead wrong about this kid. I'll have to go reevaluate but Matt is a reliable and often times right on the money source.

I hope they don't pick him ... another DE turned OLB that can't really drop back in coverage ... but this would be a Steelers pick

SteelersCanada
02-05-2013, 07:14 PM
I hope they don't pick him ... another DE turned OLB that can't really drop back in coverage ... but this would be a Steelers pick

He's a 6'4 245 lbs. DE. In other words, he's not really a DE. Even in a 4-3 scheme he'd have to bulk up considerably to play on anything but special teams. One of the biggest selling points of Corey is how fast and agile he is, but you're saying he isn't great in coverage? Something isn't adding up here. Here's Miller's take on him and I do like the Cliff Avril comparison as well.

<script src="http://player.ooyala.com/player.js?embedCode=R5czl5NzpUuhKSJ7IqP-UDpVxy7qPjtR&video_pcode=V2cmw6evJ3G8Z-8PxzAj4pYbFEYv&deepLinkEmbedCode=R5czl5NzpUuhKSJ7IqP-UDpVxy7qPjtR%2C1objl5Nzqi-BOWXSgnsxuKFGZXBdO9qy"></script>

cbrunn
02-05-2013, 08:53 PM
He's a 6'4 245 lbs. DE. In other words, he's not really a DE. Even in a 4-3 scheme he'd have to bulk up considerably to play on anything but special teams. One of the biggest selling points of Corey is how fast and agile he is, but you're saying he isn't great in coverage? Something isn't adding up here. Here's Miller's take on him and I do like the Cliff Avril comparison as well.

<script src="http://player.ooyala.com/player.js?embedCode=R5czl5NzpUuhKSJ7IqP-UDpVxy7qPjtR&video_pcode=V2cmw6evJ3G8Z-8PxzAj4pYbFEYv&deepLinkEmbedCode=R5czl5NzpUuhKSJ7IqP-UDpVxy7qPjtR%2C1objl5Nzqi-BOWXSgnsxuKFGZXBdO9qy"></script>

I see somebody with good Pass Rushing potential ... do I see somebody able to play in space real well? No not really.... I think playing with Woodley on the other side could help his game, as he has a good speed rush and a decent amount of moves... While watching his games via Youtube I see he gets by the tackle but the QB just rolls to the other side and nobody is there, not with us Woodley would be there

Still a little worried about being able to play in space, but he has potential to be a good Pass Rusher

at 17, No ... 2nd round, depends on who's on the board ... 3rd ok...

teegre
02-06-2013, 12:16 AM

Hmmm... I saw him as a possible pick in R2, but more than likely, he was going to go early in R2 (33-35ish). And, that still seems right to me. In other words, I would not take him at 17.

kan_t
02-06-2013, 12:33 AM

If you like DE turned OLB that can drop back in coverage, may I ask why don't you like Dion Jordan?

cbrunn
02-06-2013, 04:58 AM
If you like DE turned OLB that can drop back in coverage, may I ask why don't you like Dion Jordan?

I don't hate Dion Jordan ... But the best thing about him is his ability to cover
people on here act like he's going to come in and fix the pass rush from day 1, and I just don't see that, When I watch him I don't see nothing but a speed rush, and I don't think that'll work in the NFL ...

I don't think he's a good scheme fit for us ... Just my opinion

I think his best position is 4-3 OLB ... Were he could utilize his coverage abaillity and his height dropping back in zone and making the QB have no space between him and the Safety ... and limited Pass rushing skills ... but that's just me

If I'm the Bucs and he's sitting there at 13 , I would gladely take him , Since the DB Class is so strong this year ... Why not snatch up your next OLB and he's a 3 down LB with his length to cover these TEs and Height to take away room between ... Him and Lavonte David would be a good OLB Tandem for that cover 2

SteelersCanada
02-07-2013, 01:07 PM
I was talking to my buddy who is a huge 'Bama and Giants fan and he said something that I thought was pretty interesting. We were talking about how the Steelers weren't able to run the ball effectively at all and that put unnecessary pressure and ultimately, unnecessary hits on Roethlisberger. His answer?

"Draft Warmack in the first and Lacy in the second. Not only does that solve the running deficiency, it gives Roethlisberger the best interior line the NFL. With Warmack, Pouncey and DeCastro as the starting interior, you guys are set for a decade on the offensive line."

At first I was going to say we have more pressing needs than an OLinemen, but he made some pretty good and intriguing points. If we did have the chance to grab Warmack in the first and Eddie in the second, I think those two together, combined with Pouncey and DeCastro would ultimately solve our running problem and our pass protection problem. It's a very interesting alley to go down, that's forsure.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
02-08-2013, 06:54 AM
I was talking to my buddy who is a huge 'Bama and Giants fan and he said something that I thought was pretty interesting. We were talking about how the Steelers weren't able to run the ball effectively at all and that put unnecessary pressure and ultimately, unnecessary hits on Roethlisberger. His answer?

"Draft Warmack in the first and Lacy in the second. Not only does that solve the running deficiency, it gives Roethlisberger the best interior line the NFL. With Warmack, Pouncey and DeCastro as the starting interior, you guys are set for a decade on the offensive line."

At first I was going to say we have more pressing needs than an OLinemen, but he made some pretty good and intriguing points. If we did have the chance to grab Warmack in the first and Eddie in the second, I think those two together, combined with Pouncey and DeCastro would ultimately solve our running problem and our pass protection problem. It's a very interesting alley to go down, that's forsure.

Yeah there's been discussions about that on here as well. It would be a great combo but I don't see it happening for two reason.

If you draft warmack in the first then 4 years down the line you would haven3 maybe 4 olineman that will either have a big contract or are due one. Pounces, dd, warmack, and maybe Adams. That's just to much money spread on the oline in my opinion. Now If you realize the fact that keeping all those guys isn't a strong possibility but want to give Ben the best team in the next 4 years to try and win superbowls while Ben is here then maybe.

And second I highly doubt lacy lasts till our pick in the second. If he runs a decent 40 at the combine which I think he will he's stock will be on the rise again. Teams like the packers or falcons could maybe take him in the back end of first. And I don't see him getting by the jets, dolphins, titans, rams in the second.

So drafting those two would be great but that's a lot of money on the oline in a few years, and lacy wont be there in the second.

teegre
02-10-2013, 01:36 AM
SteelersCanada,
I concur. I was saying the same thing in the main threads: Warmack gives the team the best O-line in football. Not good, not great, the BEST.

An,d as I was saying there, the two SuperBowl teams got there, and the Ravens won because of their O-LINES.

WokeupwithaWoodley,
Here is the thing:
1) No matter who one drafts, you are eventually going to have to pay them.

2) That is not such a bad problem to have (having five Pro-Bowl level O-linemen) to "have" to pay.

3) Why not have a lot of money invested in O-line??? Teams invest in RBs and WRs... why not O-lienmen? If they make BB better, and BB is the key to Lombardis, then I say attribute a lot of money to O-line.

4) Having to pay O-linemen is $4-5 million... whereas, WRs and RBs are $9-10 million. It would not cost as much as one would think.

5) The Steelers can cross that bridge (pay them or draft replacements) when they come to it.

Oh, and no matter where an O-lineman is drafted, if one happens upon a great one, even in R7, that lineman WILL get paid. See: Carl Nicks. Thus, I would rather have a great O-lineman now... and worry about paying him his huge contract later.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
02-10-2013, 07:34 AM
SteelersCanada,
I concur. I was saying the same thing in the main threads: Warmack gives the team the best O-line in football. Not good, not great, the BEST.

An,d as I was saying there, the two SuperBowl teams got there, and the Ravens won because of their O-LINES.

WokeupwithaWoodley,
Here is the thing:
1) No matter who one drafts, you are eventually going to have to pay them.

2) That is not such a bad problem to have (having five Pro-Bowl level O-linemen) to "have" to pay.

3) Why not have a lot of money invested in O-line??? Teams invest in RBs and WRs... why not O-lienmen? If they make BB better, and BB is the key to Lombardis, then I say attribute a lot of money to O-line.

4) Having to pay O-linemen is $4-5 million... whereas, WRs and RBs are $9-10 million. It would not cost as much as one would think.

5) The Steelers can cross that bridge (pay them or draft replacements) when they come to it.

Oh, and no matter where an O-lineman is drafted, if one happens upon a great one, even in R7, that lineman WILL get paid. See: Carl Nicks. Thus, I would rather have a great O-lineman now... and worry about paying him his huge contract later.

What I'm saying is that's so much money focused on one area of the team. We already have a young talented line no need to add another in first where we have many more glaring needs.

It is a bad idea to have 5 probowl lineman on the team because it leaves you short handed at other positions, key positions like linebackers, d line, corners, safeties, wr. If you pay a lot on oline the talent on those other positions diminish because you don't have to money to pay and retain talent.

Teams do invest in rb and wr but only one rb and two wr. That's only 3 positions compared to 4 or 5 oline. And the defense has been just or even more important to winning superbowls.

Top center in the league is making 5.5mil. Pouncey will want that probably more like 6, being to probowls and being regarded as the best center. Top guard gets 7.2, dd when all is said and done should have a value of at least 6 mil, adding another potential great guard in warmack add another 6 mil down the line. Top 10 tackles get at the very least 5.5mil, so having just one in either Adams or Gilbert add 5mil and 3 for the other. That's a total of 26mil spent on the oline roughly.

Leaving the team with about 96 mil left for the other 48 men on the roster. Also you take in account bens 10-12mil a year your left with approx 86 mil for 47 players with 16 starters left. So your figure out of the 53, 31 don't start so let's say they account for around 22mil you have 64mil left for your other 16 starters which is a average of 4 mil a player. 4 mil average between your whole defense, wr, rb, te isn't so great, which leaves us to have a very unbalanced team. I do not want that.

And the warmack lacy combo won't be something on the radar come draft time I believe. On the main forum there is talk about our new oline coach running a zbs which worked well in kc. He has stated he wants smaller athletic lineman. Warmack is a big guy might be nimble but not want he's looking for.

Also in kc and in Haley's coaching career they like backs with speed to run outside and not between tackles so much. Lacy might have decent speed but is more suitable to run up the middle.

teegre
02-10-2013, 10:44 AM
What I'm saying is that's so much money focused on one area of the team. We already have a young talented line no need to add another in first where we have many more glaring needs.

It is a bad idea to have 5 probowl lineman on the team because it leaves you short handed at other positions, key positions like linebackers, d line, corners, safeties, wr. If you pay a lot on oline the talent on those other positions diminish because you don't have to money to pay and retain talent.

Teams do invest in rb and wr but only one rb and two wr. That's only 3 positions compared to 4 or 5 oline. And the defense has been just or even more important to winning superbowls.

Top center in the league is making 5.5mil. Pouncey will want that probably more like 6, being to probowls and being regarded as the best center. Top guard gets 7.2, dd when all is said and done should have a value of at least 6 mil, adding another potential great guard in warmack add another 6 mil down the line. Top 10 tackles get at the very least 5.5mil, so having just one in either Adams or Gilbert add 5mil and 3 for the other. That's a total of 26mil spent on the oline roughly.

Leaving the team with about 96 mil left for the other 48 men on the roster. Also you take in account bens 10-12mil a year your left with approx 86 mil for 47 players with 16 starters left. So your figure out of the 53, 31 don't start so let's say they account for around 22mil you have 64mil left for your other 16 starters which is a average of 4 mil a player. 4 mil average between your whole defense, wr, rb, te isn't so great, which leaves us to have a very unbalanced team. I do not want that.

And the warmack lacy combo won't be something on the radar come draft time I believe. On the main forum there is talk about our new oline coach running a zbs which worked well in kc. He has stated he wants smaller athletic lineman. Warmack is a big guy might be nimble but not want he's looking for.

Also in kc and in Haley's coaching career they like backs with speed to run outside and not between tackles so much. Lacy might have decent speed but is more suitable to run up the middle.

Pouncey will be paid now. Gilbert in four years. Adams & DD in three years. (And, Warmack in five years.) That means that the Steelers would not have any "cap issues" (ie having to pay these guys huge contracts) for three more seasons. And then, again, either pay them or draft replacements. But, in the meantime, the Steelers would have the MOST DOMINANT O-line for three years.

(Not advocating for Lacy... just for Warmack.)

SteelersCanada
02-10-2013, 03:13 PM
Gilbert - Warmack - Pouncey - DeCastro - Adams

Ya know, I think I'd take that line. With how athletic and strong DD and Warmack are, they'd fit perfectly into the ZBS that Bicknell is going to (in all likelihood) implement. People want Ben to have the same amount of time that a Manning or Brady have? Warmack is the final piece for that line to truly go from the weakest point of the team to the strongest in two drafts.

Now, realistically, Warmack is gone at 10 to the Titans but hey, we can dream!

ebsteelers
02-15-2013, 11:43 AM
Can mocks be official? Seems kind of silly. Anyway, here's my first 'official' mock of 2013.

R1. Dion Jordan - DE / converted to OLB - Oregon

This pick hasn't and won't change for me. I wrote an article about why I think he's an elite prospect and talent which is still sitting at 0 replies, so I guess that isn't the popular choice on these forums so because of that, I won't go into why I like him or why I think he'll be our first. Right now, he's the only guy I would take over Vaccaro because of the need we have at OLB and the lack of depth in this draft for legitimate pass-rushers.

R2. David Amerson - CB / converted to FS - North Carolina State

He's a ballhawk. 12 interceptions in 2011 and 16 pass defensed. This is the kind of guy we're missing in the backfield right now. We have Ryan Clark who is a very good Run Support FS, but he can't pick off passes consistently and is better when he's playing in the box. He's also up there in age as well. On the other side, we have Troy who hasn't been the same for years. He's obviously lost a step and can no longer create turnovers at the pace we need him to. Amerson is the kind of guy that can step in and create turnovers when he eventually takes over the reigns for Clark. He wouldn't start next year, but he would make an instantaneous impact on ST and has the potential to play specific packages for us.

R3. Jonathan Cyprien - SS - Florida International

Talk about a 1 / 2 punch with Cyprien and Amerson in 2014. Cyprien hits hard and plays harder. A guy that was turning heads all week at the Senior Bowl shot his draft stock up from a potentially undrafted to a third round draft choice - not bad for a weeks work. He's not only a big hitter, he's also great in coverage. He plays like a Polamalu in the fact that he can play in the box but also has the ability to blanket receivers and often times plays his best when he's able to play on the line of scrimmage and jam receivers when he's asked. He didn't get to showcase his ability to blitz or disrupt so that's the only question mark here for him. A great pickup for us.

R4. Marcus Lattimore - RB - South Carolina

Here he is. Look, this is probably the safest pick in the entire draft for us. A fourth round pick spent on a guy that has the potential to be our franchise Running Back for years. Everyone knows about his potential and the upside he brings so I won't ramble. I do think he's going to be ready for the NFL come September and I do think he's going to be our starting Running Back. Here's a picture for you guys - Marcus Lattimore running behind Pouncey and DeCastro. Yeah, I'll take it.

R5. Nico Johnson - LB - Alabama

I've been catching a lot of heat for knocking Spence and questioning his ability and whether or not he's going to be our guy. Now, I'm not going to open that can of worms, but I think Johnson is the better overall prospect and a better fit for us. He isn't great in coverage and this is something I'll concede, but most 'experts' had him as a sure-fire first rounder going into the 2012 season. He was overshadowed on a defense that has elite playmakers at every single position on the field and now that will ultimately benefit us. He's excellent against the run and can stuff plays at the line of scrimmage. He's a bigger, faster and stronger Larry Foote with better coverage ability. While he isn't great in coverage, he's good enough to free up Timmons and allow him to blitz and disrupt the line consistently which would ultimately help Jordan and Woodley get pressure.

R6. Michael Williams - TE - Alabama

This is another guy that turned heads at the Senior Bowl, but didn't do enough to launch his stock considerably. This is a project pick, but a great one. If he's able to work and learn under Miller, this guy is the next Heath Miller. He's fast and agile enough to get separation but big enough with sure-hands to be a legitimate redzone target. This could potentially be the best pick of the 2013 draft and not just for us - but period.

R7. Marquess Wilson - WR - Washington State

Another project pick. The guy can just catch passes. He possesses deceptive speed and is lean and athletic enough to get separation. The only knock on this guy is his size. He's listed as 6'3 188 lbs., but looks closer to 175 in reality. He needs to bulk up and continue to put size on but if he's able to accomplish this, I think he's going to be a very good pick for us. This guy has the potential to be the next Antonio Brown type player for this team.
not gonna lie, if we got this draft i'd get a bit of a chubby..

add it to last year, and getting spence, adams, decastro healthy for a full year.

:tt04::tt04::tt04::tt04:
19-0.. here we fRIGGIN GO

SteelersCanada
02-23-2013, 11:52 AM
@injuryexpert: Jarvis jones medicals did not go well. Red flags from more than one team.

I mean this in the best possible way - I hope more of his medicals don't go well and he falls right to 17.

kan_t
02-23-2013, 12:02 PM
I mean this in the best possible way - I hope more of his medicals don't go well and he falls right to 17.
I'm praying for that.

StevieRayVol
02-23-2013, 05:57 PM
I wouldn't want Amerson....Patterson and Zach Rogers abused like a rented mule in the season opener..:tt:

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
02-23-2013, 06:36 PM
I have a feeling that we're going to draft Jonathan Cooper from North Carolina but if we do I better not hear us drafting an OL in the 1st round for a decade and if we do im going to do this :rant:

SteelersCanada
02-24-2013, 08:50 AM
So, Tavon Austin and Marquise Goodwin both just ran a 4.25. If we're going for speed, Goodwin makes a lot of sense. I'd say Austin, but that time might have just solidified his first round status.

SteelersCanada
02-24-2013, 10:44 AM
Ok, so, I know who's on my latest mock: Rodney Smith - WR - FSU. He's 6'5 225 and ran a 4.44. Brown - Sanders - Smith? I'd take that.

teegre
02-25-2013, 12:15 AM
So, Tavon Austin and Marquise Goodwin both just ran a 4.25. If we're going for speed, Goodwin makes a lot of sense. I'd say Austin, but that time might have just solidified his first round status.

Yep... 4.34 speed... with moves like Barry Sanders.

Tavon will be a Taperiot. Ugh... kill me.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-25-2013, 12:38 AM
Ryan Swope may have put himself firmly into the 2nd round with his 4.34. I was hoping he could be a kind of Jordy Nelson type guy we could get in the 3rd, but not sure that can happen. Still thinking the best pass rushing OLB in round 1 and then the best safety on the board in round 2.

SteelersCanada
02-25-2013, 12:06 PM
Jordan's workout draws comparisons to Aldon Smith

By Chris Wesseling

NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock ranks Oregon defensive end Dion Jordan as the top outside linebacker prospect in the 2013 NFL Draft.

After Jordan finished tied for third in the 40-yard dash with an official time of 4.60 seconds Monday at the NFL Scouting Combine, Mayock suggested the player could be reunited with new Philadelphia Eagles coach Chip Kelly as the fourth overall draft pick.

"When I see (Jordan) play, I see a raw Aldon Smith," Mayock said. "He needs to gain 20 pounds (to fill out his 6-foot-7 frame)."

Unlike Smith, Jordan excels in pass coverage. The question is if he can match Smith's disruptive pass-rushing ability.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000144982/article/dion-jordan-impresses-in-nfl-combine-40yard-dash

-- God dammit. Well, looks like he just went out of reach for the Steelers. Why did you have to go and have a good combine Dion?!

SteelersCanada
02-26-2013, 01:40 PM
Second Official Mock With Combine Numbers

Post Combine

Well, what a few days that turned out to be. A couple of prospects, some of whom I had never paid any attention to, jumped off the page at me during the combine. Now, it's true that the combine needs to be taken with a grain of salt but a couple of these guys (some of whom I have the Steelers taking now in this mock) really stood out.

I'm adding the combine results that a lot of people are interested in but frankly, I take these with a grain of salt. Especially their respective 40 times.

R1. Barkevious 'KeKe' Mingo - DE / converted to OLB - Louisiana State

6'4 241lbs.

40 Yard Time: 4.58
Bench: DNP
Vertical: 37"

As much as I wanted Dion Jordan here, he's off the board at this point. It's a good thing Barkevious Mingo is a sideways move and could ultimately prove to be the more explosive player of the two. He's fast, agile and can cover almost as well as any OLB in this draft or, quite frankly, that I've ever seen. He had a down senior year at LSU, granted, but at the combine he showed why he's an absolute freak. He's a project for the Steelers but he will ultimately prove to be a fun project. He has room to improve from a technique standpoint but if he's given time and a little bit of leeway, this kid is going to be a monster.

R2. Phillip Thomas - Safety - Fresno State

6'0 208 lbs.

40 Yard Time: 4.65
Bench: 28
Vertical: 40.5"

I've heard his name being tossed around here before but as I watched the combine, I started to realize why he's popular. This dude can cover and hit. Oh boy can he hit. He reminds me a lot of Ryan Clark in terms of his coverage ability but also his ability to come up and stuff the run. His insane vertical and leaping ability would come into play when he's picking passes off and giving our CBs a helping hand when needed. Despite his insane combine performance, he's still a relatively unknown prospect and I think would fall to us in the second round. You're looking at the next starting FS of the Steelers. This kid was impressive today - very, very impressive.

R3. Gavin Escobar - Tight End - San Diego State

6'5 255 lbs.

40 Yard Time: 4.84
Vertical: 32"

You know what I say about Gavin's 40 time? He was 4. fast enough (thanks, Charles Davis). Teegre got me interested in this kid in another thread so I started to do some digging and film watching and, wow, this kid has some talent. I love the Aaron Hernandez comparison as well as he's lined up as Hback and Tight End over the course of the season. I honestly do think he projects as an Aaron Hernandez type player in which opposing teams have to gameplan for him specifically. While not the fastest guy in the world, he's agile and quick enough to elude defenders and get into open space. This kid could not only be Ben's safety blanket, but whomever we decide to take over the reigns after Benjamin hangs 'em up. Also, in the third round, this could be the pick of the draft. Let this kid start week 1.

R4. Rodney Smith - Wide Receiver - Florida State

6'5 225 lbs.

40 Yard Time: 4.51
Vertical: 34.5
3 Cone: 7.03
60 Yard Shuttle: 11.84

Beast. Absolute beast. I'm taking this kid over any Running Back that is on the board for a very simple reason: he has the potential to be a top 10 WR in the league in a couple of years. I don't know how I missed on this kid up until this point - he's a freak of nature. His height and weight would give Roethlisberger the thing he has been asking for - a tall and physical WR. There are questions regarding whether or not he plays up to his size and his physicality, but Richard is a stickler for the details and under him, I feel as if this is going to be a fantastic pick. I'm going to say it here again - this kid could be the best WR we've seen in a long, long time. He fits Haley's system in terms of being a possession receiver that can get separation using his size and speed. While he's not a burner, he plays a lot like Calvin freakin' Johnson in a way that blows me away. We need to draft this kid.

R5. Michael Mauti - Linebacker - Pennsylvania State

6'2 243 lbs.

Bench (the only thing he participated in due to his knee injury): 28

This isn't a pick that I want, but a pick I'm going to have to live with. The interest between him and the Steelers seems mutual and Colbert is a sucker for this kind of story. I'm worried about his knee injuries, though. We already have Linebackers that have suffered knee injuries and I fear he isn't going to be ready come week 1. I expressed my concerns in another thread, but I feel as if the Steelers are going to take him here. There are legitimate concerns about his knee from other teams and I question his ability to free up Lawrence Timmons the way we need to free him up. He isn't the kind of guy that can let LT be LT which could ultimately be the most costly thing for us. Ultimately, this is a pick I question but am going to have to live with as the Steelers seem to love this kid.

I hope I'm wrong.

R6. Ray Graham - Running Back - Pittsburgh

5'9 200 lbs.

40 Yard Time: 4.8
10 Time: 1.68
Bench: 18
Vertical: 32.5"
3 Cone: 7.17
60 Yard Shuttle: 11.63

"How about it [playing for the Steelers], Ray?

ďItíd be great,Ē said Graham. ďIíve been there and seen a lot of practices, so I felt like Iíve been a part of it already. I already visioned it.Ē

Graham was specific with his wording. He didnít mean EN-vision. His emphasis was more akin to tunnel-vision.

ďIím always talking about vision,Ē Graham said. ďThatís always the thing in the Bible. Youíre supposed to have vision, vision that you put into reality. Thatís why you dream big, man. I just think that, so, yeah, I believe it.""

He wants to play here. Mike and Ray already have a good relationship that involves teasing and having fun. At the combine, Mayock remarked that this kid has a fun-loving, spirited attitude that knows how to turn it on for gameday. He's the kind of kid that will get overlooked due to his combine numbers but will ultimately fall into our laps in the sixth round. There are legitimate questions about his size and whether or not that translates into being an every-down NFL Running Back, but LeSean McCoy isn't much bigger than him. He'll have to answer these questions with his play and this is something I think he can do. He's the ultimate boom-or-bust here but in the sixth round, his potential outweighs the cons.

R7. Knile Davis - Running Back - Arkansas

5'11 227 lbs.

40 Yard Time: 4.37
10 Time: 1.49
Bench: 31
Vertical: 33.5
3 Cone: 6.96

There's going to be a lot of people that say Knile Davis won't be here in the seventh round and to them I say, before the combine, there was a legitimate chance Knile Davis went undrafted. There are still questions about his ankles and his ability to hold onto the ball. He did have fumbling issues in college but we have to keep in mind, this is a guy that had over 1300 yards and 13 TDs when Arkansas wasn't playing terrible football. This is the kind of kid that I fear won't be able to rebound from his injuries - both mentally and physically - and this is why he tumbles so far down. He doesn't get past us, though, and we give him and Graham a chance to compete with one another for our starting RB position. For a guy that's almost 230 lbs to run a sub-4.4 forty is impressive to say the least. He's strong and powerful and has the upper-body strength to move guys around and open up his own lanes.

kan_t
02-26-2013, 08:06 PM
I don't see them drafting two RB and Mauti is way too high. Mauti is a candidate of being undrafted. His injury is a serious concern.

SteelersCanada
02-27-2013, 10:19 AM
I don't see them drafting two RB and Mauti is way too high. Mauti is a candidate of being undrafted. His injury is a serious concern.

Disagree. Going into the 6th / 7th round, it truly becomes BPA. I mean, the Steelers' entire draft is based on this ideology but it becomes especially true in the later rounds. If Knile Davis and Ray Graham are both on the board come 6th and 7th, I don't see how they go any other way. The potential of those two trump whatever drawbacks may come with picking them.

I'd say the 5th might be a round too late for Mauti. Teams like the Eagles, Patriots and well, us, have shown interest in grabbing him and his ceiling might be too much for anyone to pass up past the fourth round. I'd be shocked if he went any later than the 5th and by that point, he'd be going to another team. If the Steelers want him, which they've made clear they do, they're going to have to take him in the 5th round.

teegre
02-27-2013, 01:55 PM
That is a rock-solid draft.

Mingo, Thomas... nice & really nice.
Escobar... cha-ching!!!
Smith... nice.
Mauti... eh, I like the kid, but in R5, Nico Johnson might still be available.
Two RBs??? If that happens, then "Good-bye Redman & Dwyer."

One thought: switch Vaccaro for Mingo, and Lemonier for Thomas.

1. Vaccaro
2. Lemonier
3. Escobar
4. Smith
5. Johnson
6. Graham
7. Davis
8. Win seventh SuperBowl in February 2014.

SteelersCanada
03-25-2013, 04:18 PM
My Third and Final Mock Draft Pre-Draft

Post Pro Days

R1. Jarvis Jones - Outside Linebacker / Georgia

This is a very real possibility. His spinal stenosis combined with his poor pro day performance could drop him to 17. At this point, Mike Tomlin and LeBeau commence the biggest bro hug and cry tears of joy because they just drafted the best pass rusher in this years draft. The football gods obviously felt bad about taking Roethlisberger away and are giving us this little treat as a 'we're sorry guys'. I don't need to go into how talented this kid is - go to YouTube and search "Jarvis Jones" and see for yourself. Jones and a healthy Woodley makes for a rejuvenated pass rush.

R2. Matt Elam - Safety / Flordia

This is going to surprise some people but in reality, there's a very good chance he'll be sitting here in the second round at pick 48. If you go and look at who's picking ahead of us and has a real, gaping hole need for Safety, it's not a lot of teams. In fact, I count one - the 49ers. At that point, San Fran will either take Eric Reid or Jonathan Cyprien - whomever is on the board out of those two remaining picks. There's been some chatter around these boards that the Bengals might, but they have more pressing needs than picking up a Safety (like a WR to play with AJ). This kid can hit. Oh boy can he hit. While his coverage skills need some work (and by some work, I mean a lot of work) but he plays like Polamalu. He's a punishing hitter that uses his instincts. His ability to step up into the box and stop the run or lay out a hit on a receiver crossing the middle is unreal.

R3. Le'Veon Bell - Running Back / Michigan State

Franchise. That's all I can say for Bell - franchise. This kid has 'it'. He's deceptively fast for a bigger guy and has the agility and quickness to make quick cuts in and out of the hole. What's most impressive, however, is his second gear. He has the ability to pull away from Linebackers and pick up huge chunks of yardage while running over CBs that try and tackle him. He's our franchise Running Back. This kid to me, runs a lot like Adrian Peterson. While he doesn't have the pure speed that AD possesses, he has the cut-ability and the toughness that AD has.

R4. Bacarri Rambo - Free Safety / Georgia

1 - 2 punch. That's all I can say when we draft both Matt Elam and Bacarri Rambo in this draft. This kid has his issues, but along with Elam, he can make the backfield a very uncomfortable place for receivers to run. Do you remember the Washington game earlier this year? Their receivers were dropping the ball left and right because they heard footsteps - that's the kind of thing Matt Elam and Bacarri Rambo can provide: a backfield where receivers will be scared to catch the ball. While his coverage skills need some work, I trust Carnell Lake to work with him and work on his over the top coverage so Elam can go around and punish the people that decide to catch the ball. A secondary that has the coverage ability of Taylor and Allen with the toughness and ferociousness that Elam and Rambo bring is something I can sign up for.

R5. Rodney Smith - Wide Receiver / Florida State

6'5 225 lbs. He's the target Roethlisberger has been asking for. I'm standing by what I said in my previous mock - this kid has the potential to be a top 10 receiver in this league if given the right pieces and coaching. He was a monster for Florida State. While there are legitimate concerns about his game at times, if he's playing alongside guys like Brown and Sanders, that shouldn't be a problem.

R6. Dion Sims - Tight End / Michigan State

I don't think this is a need, but I think if he's on the board when we pick here it becomes a no-brainer type pick. He's versatile, agile and is a stud in the run-block game. He can give Paulson or Spaeth relief and the offense wouldn't skip a beat. Line him up next to Adams in the running game and watch Bell make plays in the secondary. This is a pick that just makes sense and, on top of everything else, he has some pretty good hands, too.

Compensatory R6. Michael Mauti - Linebacker / Pennsylvania State

I'm not going to back down from what I said in my previous mock - I'm not quite sure what the rest of you guys are seeing with this kid. He plays with passion and has a fire in his belly, granted, but when I threw on some film of him, he doesn't scream to me "elite Linebacker". No one can argue that he loves the game of football - that's undeniable - but one can question his skillset and whether or not it compliments what we're trying to do with Lawrence Timmons. I guess this is the ultimate 'boom or bust' pick for us.

R7. Kapron Lewis-Moore - Defensive End / Notre Dame

This is a pick that's mainly for depth purposes if I'm being honest. He does possess a pretty good skillset and flashed potential early this year, but he seemed to fade away in games too often and not make enough splash plays for him to be considered earlier on. He was someone that garnered six sacks earlier this year and showed a nose for the backfield, but I don't know if that is going to translate into NFL success. This, again, is a boom or bust pick. I think the best case scenario for this kid is a Brett Keisel-type role which I wouldn't argue with. The similarities between those two are pretty evident and we might find our stud defensive end for the next decade again in the seventh round.

teegre
03-26-2013, 02:52 PM
Jones: If he drops, a great pick.

Elam: a steal!!! I'd be so happy.

Bell: My favorite RB not named Lattimore.

Rambo: If the Steelers can look past his "issues", then he & Elam would be the Troy & Clark for the next decade.

Smith & Sims: adds height & depth to those positions.

Mauti: Why not? If he pans out, then he is a steal. If not, it's merely a R7 pick.

ebsteelers
03-27-2013, 08:36 AM
My Third and Final Mock Draft Pre-Draft

Post Pro Days

R1. Jarvis Jones - Outside Linebacker / Georgia

This is a very real possibility. His spinal stenosis combined with his poor pro day performance could drop him to 17. At this point, Mike Tomlin and LeBeau commence the biggest bro hug and cry tears of joy because they just drafted the best pass rusher in this years draft. The football gods obviously felt bad about taking Roethlisberger away and are giving us this little treat as a 'we're sorry guys'. I don't need to go into how talented this kid is - go to YouTube and search "Jarvis Jones" and see for yourself. Jones and a healthy Woodley makes for a rejuvenated pass rush.

R2. Matt Elam - Safety / Flordia

This is going to surprise some people but in reality, there's a very good chance he'll be sitting here in the second round at pick 48. If you go and look at who's picking ahead of us and has a real, gaping hole need for Safety, it's not a lot of teams. In fact, I count one - the 49ers. At that point, San Fran will either take Eric Reid or Jonathan Cyprien - whomever is on the board out of those two remaining picks. There's been some chatter around these boards that the Bengals might, but they have more pressing needs than picking up a Safety (like a WR to play with AJ). This kid can hit. Oh boy can he hit. While his coverage skills need some work (and by some work, I mean a lot of work) but he plays like Polamalu. He's a punishing hitter that uses his instincts. His ability to step up into the box and stop the run or lay out a hit on a receiver crossing the middle is unreal.

R3. Le'Veon Bell - Running Back / Michigan State

Franchise. That's all I can say for Bell - franchise. This kid has 'it'. He's deceptively fast for a bigger guy and has the agility and quickness to make quick cuts in and out of the hole. What's most impressive, however, is his second gear. He has the ability to pull away from Linebackers and pick up huge chunks of yardage while running over CBs that try and tackle him. He's our franchise Running Back. This kid to me, runs a lot like Adrian Peterson. While he doesn't have the pure speed that AD possesses, he has the cut-ability and the toughness that AD has.

R4. Bacarri Rambo - Free Safety / Georgia

1 - 2 punch. That's all I can say when we draft both Matt Elam and Bacarri Rambo in this draft. This kid has his issues, but along with Elam, he can make the backfield a very uncomfortable place for receivers to run. Do you remember the Washington game earlier this year? Their receivers were dropping the ball left and right because they heard footsteps - that's the kind of thing Matt Elam and Bacarri Rambo can provide: a backfield where receivers will be scared to catch the ball. While his coverage skills need some work, I trust Carnell Lake to work with him and work on his over the top coverage so Elam can go around and punish the people that decide to catch the ball. A secondary that has the coverage ability of Taylor and Allen with the toughness and ferociousness that Elam and Rambo bring is something I can sign up for.

R5. Rodney Smith - Wide Receiver / Florida State

6'5 225 lbs. He's the target Roethlisberger has been asking for. I'm standing by what I said in my previous mock - this kid has the potential to be a top 10 receiver in this league if given the right pieces and coaching. He was a monster for Florida State. While there are legitimate concerns about his game at times, if he's playing alongside guys like Brown and Sanders, that shouldn't be a problem.

R6. Dion Sims - Tight End / Michigan State

I don't think this is a need, but I think if he's on the board when we pick here it becomes a no-brainer type pick. He's versatile, agile and is a stud in the run-block game. He can give Paulson or Spaeth relief and the offense wouldn't skip a beat. Line him up next to Adams in the running game and watch Bell make plays in the secondary. This is a pick that just makes sense and, on top of everything else, he has some pretty good hands, too.

Compensatory R6. Michael Mauti - Linebacker / Pennsylvania State

I'm not going to back down from what I said in my previous mock - I'm not quite sure what the rest of you guys are seeing with this kid. He plays with passion and has a fire in his belly, granted, but when I threw on some film of him, he doesn't scream to me "elite Linebacker". No one can argue that he loves the game of football - that's undeniable - but one can question his skillset and whether or not it compliments what we're trying to do with Lawrence Timmons. I guess this is the ultimate 'boom or bust' pick for us.

R7. Kapron Lewis-Moore - Defensive End / Notre Dame

This is a pick that's mainly for depth purposes if I'm being honest. He does possess a pretty good skillset and flashed potential early this year, but he seemed to fade away in games too often and not make enough splash plays for him to be considered earlier on. He was someone that garnered six sacks earlier this year and showed a nose for the backfield, but I don't know if that is going to translate into NFL success. This, again, is a boom or bust pick. I think the best case scenario for this kid is a Brett Keisel-type role which I wouldn't argue with. The similarities between those two are pretty evident and we might find our stud defensive end for the next decade again in the seventh round.

i'd be licking my chops at a draft like that..