PDA

View Full Version : starting field position

harrison'samonster
01-28-2013, 09:37 PM
I went through drive summary's of this season and tallied the yard line they started and the results from each drive by us and our opponents for each game. These numbers aren't official and I most likely made a mistake or two.

Out of 181 offensive drives:

29.8% (54) started between our 0-19 yard line. we scored on 9 of those drives.
16.6% (30) started between our 30-49 yard line. we scored on 15 of those drives.
11.6% (21) started on our opponents side. we scored on 10 of those drives.

Out of 172 drives we defended against:

23.3% (40) started between their 0-19 yard line. they scored on 4 of those drives.
25.6% (44) started between their 30-49 yard line. they scored on 14 of those drives.
14.5% (25) started on our side. they scored on 18 of those drives.

Just thought it was interesting.

harrison'samonster
01-28-2013, 09:53 PM
offensively, starting between the 0-19: 54 drives, 4 TD and 5 FG (scored on 16.7% of drives)
defensively, starting between their 0-19: 40 drives, 1 TD and 3 FG (scored on10% of drives)

offensively, starting between the 20-29: 76 drives, 18 TD and 11 FG (scored on 38.2% of drives)
defensively, starting between their 20-29: 63 drives, 14 TD and 7 FG (scored on 33.3% drives)

offensively, starting between the 30-49: 30 drives, 6 TD and 9 FG (scored on 50% of drives)
defensively, starting between their 30-49: 44 drives, 5 TD and 9 FG (scored on 31.8% of drives)

offensively, starting on opponents side of field: 21 drives, 7 TD and 3 FG (scored on 47.6% of drives)
defensively, starting on our side of the field: 25 drives, 8 TD and 10 FG (scored on 72% of drives)

SteelersCanada
01-28-2013, 11:17 PM
There's absolutely no excuse for this. We have (had) guys like Rainey, Brown and Sanders on our roster and at our disposal and almost a third of them started inside of our own 20? That's what pops out to me and needs addressing. Either we weren't using Brown and friends effectively, or we need new ST guys on the field blocking.

I have a feeling DVD is going to be returning kickoffs and punts next year though and he has some big play ability. I'm hoping that will balance out those numbers a little bit.

BlaZeQuietly
01-29-2013, 12:14 AM
There's absolutely no excuse for this. We have (had) guys like Rainey, Brown and Sanders on our roster and at our disposal and almost a third of them started inside of our own 20? That's what pops out to me and needs addressing. Either we weren't using Brown and friends effectively, or we need new ST guys on the field blocking.

I have a feeling DVD is going to be returning kickoffs and punts next year though and he has some big play ability. I'm hoping that will balance out those numbers a little bit.

Should have scored more touchdowns instead of field goals?
who is DVD???:noidea:

kent
01-29-2013, 01:25 AM
Yea who the heck is DVD?

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
01-29-2013, 02:14 AM
DVD=DeMarcus Van Dyke

WVABE
01-29-2013, 05:40 AM
Every player in the nfl should start the season with a $100,000 check and earn bonus's according to their individual performances. That would put some gumption in their asses and get them motivated.

Score a TD, 25,000- get a sack, 25,000.

Imagine how fast that would get the benchwarmers highly motivated.
I know I'm just talkin' shit and it will never happen but I bet it would work.

steelfury02
01-29-2013, 05:51 AM
the message here?

When we start on the opponents side of the field, we only scored 48% of the time

Our opponents in our territory? They scored 72% of the time.

I'd like to see these numbers through the first 8-9 games compared to the season as a whole - I bet they were looking a little better than this.

My assumptions based on these stats are:
Our special teams were horrid
The 2nd half off our season, the offense was horrid
We didn't create enough turnovers, and especially when the opponent was marching on us. If they got the ball on our side, you could pretty much count on them scoring.

Honestly - it is awesome that we didn't go below 8-8 with some of the huge red flags out there.

We'll be back to 10-6 next season, I have faith that some of these changes will do our team some good.

VaDave
01-29-2013, 06:04 AM
Just a though on all of those long field drives and blaming it on KOs, a fair percentage of those were punts with the opposing punter was puching them from midfield in as most of those were fair catches.

Can you find a a stat on how many yards it took our D to stop drive?

Interesting stats.

harrison'samonster
01-29-2013, 06:26 AM
footballoutsiders.com has some stats on drives averages and stuff. looks like we allowed 25.99 yds/drive which was only second to Denver. On offense we got just over 29 yards/drive (which looks like it's about the same rank as our offensive scoring).

I never found anything to do with where drives started and their results, which I think really hurt us this year, but as a team we could do nothing to change it.

I also want to add that I didn't use drives that were simply kneel downs at the end of a half.

Yeah, a lot of the drives that started before our 19 yard line were when we were just backed up by the other teams punting unit. And our offense was really slowed to a crawl after Ben's injury

maddog78
01-29-2013, 06:40 AM
Well done!

:applaudit:

When can we expect the numbers for the rest of the league?

:couch:

The lack of sacks and turnovers from the D is another factor. Sacks and TO's kill drives. if the D only gives up 2 first downs and a punt, it's a success in one regard, but it can completely flip field position. How many times does our D get a team inside the 20, the 10, only to let them out of the hole to punt from near midfield?

Too many penalties on special teams, too.

harrison'samonster
01-29-2013, 07:39 AM
thanks for the feedback everyone, I don't think I could go through other team's drive summary's :chuckle:. I thought it would be more fun to do the Steelers, but even that got tiresome. Another thing that hurt as far as field position was penalties that helped to extend other teams drives.

I'd have to look back, but how many times did we get close to FG range only to be pushed back out of it? With as many close games as we played it would have been nice to put points on the board when we got close.

Steelers>NFL
01-29-2013, 08:48 AM
DVD=DeMarcus Van Dyke

Thought it was Dick Van Dyke! :sofunny:

fer522
01-29-2013, 08:52 AM
Tomlin needs to hire a ST coach that's not afraid to get on the players face. No more body, body, bullshit. :tt03:

torpedoshell31
01-29-2013, 09:14 AM
Very good points made by everyone. Yes, I would like to know how many times we had a first down on the other teams 35 yard line and didn't score because of a sack or holding call took us out of FG range. It seemed like it happened all the time.
Also a good point was made about the defense, it seems that a lot of times the other team was backed up inside their 20 and although they didn't score, they drove the ball out to midfield and then pinned us back deep with the punt. We always seemed to be on the losing end of the field position being swapped.
Of course special team penalties killed us all year. When Brown broke loose for a couple of big returns this year, I just sat in my seat quietly because I knew it was coming back for a penalty. Plus Brown added to the problem by fumbling, not fielding the punt and letting it roll 30 yards etc.

FrancoLambert
01-29-2013, 09:25 AM
DeMarcus VanDyke has not done enough to earn such a cool nickname like DVD. :wink02:

kent
01-29-2013, 12:21 PM
DeMarcus VanDyke has not done enough to earn such a cool nickname like DVD. :wink02:

Thats what I was thinking

SteelersCanada
01-29-2013, 12:44 PM
I like DeMarcus. He's fast and has the potential to be our starting CB in a couple of years, assuming Carnell keeps on him and continues to help him progress.

He'll earn DVD this year.

Steelers5895
01-29-2013, 02:35 PM
I went through drive summary's of this season and tallied the yard line they started and the results from each drive by us and our opponents for each game. These numbers aren't official and I most likely made a mistake or two.

Out of 181 offensive drives:

29.8% (54) started between our 0-19 yard line. we scored on 9 of those drives.
16.6% (30) started between our 30-49 yard line. we scored on 15 of those drives.
11.6% (21) started on our opponents side. we scored on 10 of those drives.

Out of 172 drives we defended against:

23.3% (40) started between their 0-19 yard line. they scored on 4 of those drives.
25.6% (44) started between their 30-49 yard line. they scored on 14 of those drives.
14.5% (25) started on our side. they scored on 18 of those drives.

Just thought it was interesting.

Here is what I get out of this. 23.3 % of the time we pinned the opponent inside the 20.

That means they were able to flip field position on us as 29.8% started inside our 20.

that means our offense had long field too many time and if our #1 ranked defense could have gotten a few 3 and outs our offense would have started in better shape to score.

that is why being a #1 ranked defense based on yards allowed is such a bogus, deceiving ranking.

pczach
01-29-2013, 03:01 PM

That's why none of us knew who the hell he meant when he called him DVD!:toofunny:

harrison'samonster
01-29-2013, 03:18 PM
Here is what I get out of this. 23.3 % of the time we pinned the opponent inside the 20.

That means they were able to flip field position on us as 29.8% started inside our 20.

that means our offense had long field too many time and if our #1 ranked defense could have gotten a few 3 and outs our offense would have started in better shape to score.

that is why being a #1 ranked defense based on yards allowed is such a bogus, deceiving ranking.

I agree with some of what you're saying, but the stats are only what they are. I don't think there's enough information for a professional statistician (or whomever) to develop a solid conclusion, and I've never seen these stats presented by the NFL (nothing besides starting field position averages).

I'd say they show a problem our whole team has, true the offense has a harder time getting in rhythm and sustaining good drives because they are pinned back, but also our D has problems when they are put into a bad situation.

edit: I guess the bottom line is we didn't make the plays to win games that we needed to win.

as more of a supporter of the viewpoint that our offense struggled and put our D in bad situations, I read the numbers with the opposite conclusion you have. Although I would add that's not why I went through the drives to begin with, nor did I post them to try and prove my point.

desertsteel
01-30-2013, 01:49 PM
DVD=DeMarcus Van Dyke
Really? Is he a well kept secret?

desertsteel
01-30-2013, 01:51 PM

According to you, stopping a drive and forcing the opponent to punt, even if it pins us back in our own territory, means nothing. 3 and outs are great, but this is the NFL not Alabama vs. Savannah State.

I'm glad you aren't the coach of the Steelers.

harrison'samonster
01-30-2013, 01:58 PM
According to you, stopping a drive and forcing the opponent to punt, even if it pins us back in our own territory, means nothing. 3 and outs are great, but this is the NFL not Alabama vs. Savannah State.

I'm glad you aren't the coach of the Steelers.

Yeah, that's one thing thats wrong with his viewpoint. All of our opponents drives aren't going to end with a turnover or a punt. Sometimes it's a victory even holding them to a field goal.

Same thing on offense, sometimes punting isn't the result of a bad drive, if it changes field position. And turnovers can't be avoided, but stupid mistakes don't happen as often on good teams.

Twentyvalve
01-30-2013, 07:26 PM
Just yet another aspect of this team that underperformed. This team underperformed at every level this year. They were lucky to be .500. This past year's team was not adequate in a single category. Returns, running, passing, turnovers, fumbles, lack of red zone points, burning time outs, injuries, etc.

Reading those numbers does not surprise me. If i were a coach I would not know where to start.

harrison'samonster
01-31-2013, 09:57 AM
went over a few things, and I'd like to remind you this isn't official and I probably made a mistake or two but here it goes:

I tallied up the drives between week 1 through the 1st half of the KC game (before BB got injured).

out of 83 drives on offense:
20 (24.1%) began between our 0-19 yard line. 29.8% on the whole season
33 (39.8%) began between our 20-29 yard line
17 (20.5%) began between our 30-59 yard line. 16.6% on the whole season
13 (15.7%) began on our opponents side. 11.6% on the whole season

out of 80 drives on defense:
20 (25%) began between their 0-19 yard line. 23.3% on the whole season
35 (43.8%) began between their 20-29 yard line
19 (23.8%) began between their 30-49 yard line. 25.6% on the whole season
6 (7.5%) began on our side. 14.5% on the whole season

Of the drives starting:
on offense between our 0-19 we had 1 FG and 2 TD (scoring 15% of drives) 16.7% on the whole season
on defense between their 0-19 they had 2 FG and 1 TD (scoring 15% of drives) 10% on the whole season

on offense between our 20-29 we had 8 FG and 11TD (scoring 57.6% of drives) 38.2% on the whole season
on defense between their 20-29 they had 4 FG and 12 TD (scoring 45.7%) 33,3% on the whole season

on offense between our 30-49 we had 7 FG and 5 TD (scoring 70.6% of drives) 50% on the whole season
on defense between their 30-49 they had 4 FG and 2 TD (scoring 31.6%) 31.8% on the whole season

on offense on their side we had 2 FG and 3 TD (scoring 38.5%!!) 47.6% on the whole season
on defense on our side they had 3 FG and 3 TD (scoring 100%!!) 72% on the whole season

harrison'samonster
01-31-2013, 10:08 AM
I also went through looking for drives on which we got close to scoring position but were knocked back. I didn't find as many as I had expect, but I'll go through the ones in games we lost.

In the 1st Quarter in Denver we had a 1st and ten on their 33 yard line. We ran for -6 yards, ran for 3, then sacked for -9 yards. We ended up punting from their 45 yard line.

In the 2nd Quarter against Tennessee we had a 1st and ten on their 32 yard line. We threw and INT.
In the 4th Quarter against Tennessee we had a 1st and ten on their 39 yard line. We passed for 6, ran for -1, then threw an incomplete pass. FG was no good.

In the 3rd Quarter of the 1st Baltimore game we had a 1st and ten on their 40 yard line. we had two runs for 1 yard each, then threw an INT.

In the 4th Quarter of the 1st Cleveland game we had a 1st and ten on their 28 yard line. we ran for -2 yards, then threw an INT.

This is were it starts to hurt.

In the 4th Quarter against Dallas we had a 3rd and 4 on their 37 yard line. We were sacked for -2 yards and punted away.

Only read on if you enjoy pain!

In the 2nd quarter against Cincinnatti we had a 1st and ten on their 15 yard line. We ran for 3, passed for 6, threw and incomplete pass, FG was no good.
In the 3rd quarter against Cincinnatti we had a 1st and ten on their 32 yard line. We ran for 4, ran for -1, then sacked for -8 yards. We punted away.
In the 4th Quarter we had a 1st and ten on their 42 yard line. We ran for 4, ran for -2, then Roethlisberger ran for 4. FG was no good. AAARGHH

harrison'samonster
01-31-2013, 10:17 AM
I also went through and looked at drives we were backed up and punted away before crossing the 30 yard line. I wanted to know what the other team did on their next possesion.

They kicked a FG on 11 drives (2 of them missed). Of the 9 FG's that were good they drove less than 10 yrds 3 times and 10-20 yards 4 times. 7 of 9 they drove less than 20 yards to score.

Their offense scored 5 TD's. For those five drives they drove 10 yards, 17 yards, 31 yards, 48 yards, and 58 yards.

Their punt return team scored 1 TD. Their Defense scored on 1 fumble return and 1 INT return.

7 times their offense went 3 and out.

2 times the clock expired.

EDIT: Sorry forgot to add on 2 of the drives our defense forced a turnover.

They scored on 17 drives after we began between our 0-19 yard line and didn't advance pass the 30 yard line. In comparison, our offense scored on 9 drives we started between our 0-19 yard line.

harrison'samonster
01-31-2013, 10:41 AM
also, I forgot to add Dick van Dyke would be horrible at returning kicks. Dude can't walk across his own living room without getting tackled by the furniture.

pczach
01-31-2013, 02:23 PM
also, I forgot to add Dick van Dyke would be horrible at returning kicks. Dude can't walk across his own living room without getting tackled by the furniture.

OOOHHHH.....you mean DVD!:toofunny:

steelfury02
01-31-2013, 02:54 PM
i'm a bigger fan of JCVD

GoFor7
01-31-2013, 03:15 PM
Ah ain't even know why dis thread exists! It's simple - it's all Ben's fault! He cares more bout his stats n'at dat he just wants to turn da stillerz into one a dem sissy passin' teams! BOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Yinz gotta cut Ben! Problem solved! Rahn da ball and play DEFENSE!!!!!!!

harrison'samonster
01-31-2013, 03:42 PM
Ah ain't even know why dis thread exists! It's simple - it's all Ben's fault! He cares more bout his stats n'at dat he just wants to turn da stillerz into one a dem sissy passin' teams! BOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Yinz gotta cut Ben! Problem solved! Rahn da ball and play DEFENSE!!!!!!!

have you got the wrong thread? nobody's even talking about Roethlisberger other than the difference before or after his injury.

harrison'samonster
01-31-2013, 05:00 PM
I went through and looked at drives we had our opponents between their 0-19 yard line and they didn't get past their own 30. I wanted to see what our offense did on our next drive.

We had 4 FG's on drives of 0, 35, 42, and 51 yards
we had 4 TD's on drives of 44, 50, 51, and 67 yards
we punted 8 times on drives of -3, 1, 3, 8, 13, 21, 25, and 32 yards
2 times the clock expired
1 time we fumbled away, and 2 times we threw INT's.