PDA

View Full Version : I Cant Stand Bandwagoners....

Elvis
08-17-2006, 05:59 PM
Yeah.. you know who I am talkin' about... the people that join with all us Steelers fans that have been here for like myself... about 25 or 26 years... I will always stick with the Steelers No Matter What....My former sister n law was a Buccaneers fan ...when they won the 1 super bowl... this past season she was a Steelers fan... I hate that...what do you think?
God Bless You All
Elvis

BlackNGold203
08-17-2006, 06:05 PM
Comes with being successful......

PisnNapalm
08-17-2006, 06:32 PM
I hate that...what do you think?

Tear up her membership Towel and ship her back to Tampa.:rolleyes:

OX1947
08-17-2006, 06:35 PM
Ill be honest with you. Being a huge Laker fan, ALOT of Laker fan bandwagoners when the Lakers are winning. But Steeler bandwagoners are really a rareity. I'd say 90% of all Steeler fans are die hard, cheer for them even if they go 0-16 kind of fans......

LambertIsGod58
08-17-2006, 06:43 PM
What I love is when you know someone is a bandwagon fan and you ask them to tell you who the starting QB is and they can't tell you...

Hawk Believer
08-17-2006, 06:47 PM
What I love is when you know someone is a bandwagon fan and you ask them to tell you who the starting QB is and they can't tell you...
Hey, its not the easiest name to sound out.:sofunny:

floodcitygirl
08-17-2006, 06:53 PM
Just something to keep in mind, just because someone is new here doesn't mean they are a bandwagon fan. I've been a fan my whole life but only discovered this site at the end of last season. I also think people come here with all different levels of football knowlege....what a great place this is to learn more! :smile:

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-17-2006, 06:56 PM
..and on the flip side..you go in to buy some Steeler gear and you get "the look" from "pimple faced Petey"...who thinks you are a band wagon jumper. Makes you want to choke that post-puberty squeak out of his throat.

CantStop85
08-17-2006, 06:59 PM
I don't mind bandwagon fans that much. I mind bandwagon fans that flaunt around like they've been fans forever...if you've just recently become a fan, admit to it.

clevestinks
08-17-2006, 07:26 PM
You can always tell the REAL fans from the part timers, we`ll stick together

Black@Gold Forever32
08-17-2006, 08:30 PM
I didn't have a choice growing up. Both my parents were born close to Pittsburgh. They moved to Indiana before I was born. But my mom didn't give me choice. It was the Steelers or else. I wouldn't want it any other way. I love when people call me a band wagon jumper. I just reply I'm also a Pirates fan and proud of it. I love the Burgh. If I watched hockey I would root for the Pens. Just can't get into hockey.

NHSteelers
08-17-2006, 08:43 PM
I cant stand that and i live in the middle of bandwagoners. No onereally cared about the patriots in the new england area now that they won a couple they are calling new england fans some of the best in the nation wait until they have a couple loosing seasons and that will go away..
The steelers have always had a long waiting list for season ticket what is it now like 20 years.. upuntil the pats won the sb you could go to the stadium game day and get tickets.. pick a team and stick with them through good and bad...

pucho58
08-17-2006, 08:47 PM
What about fans that have two favorite teams. Like my boy's neighbor,he likes the Steelers and the Colts. WTF,either you bleed black and gold or you don't. Omp.

stlrtruck
08-17-2006, 09:16 PM
Yeah.. you know who I am talkin' about... the people that join with all us Steelers fans that have been here for like myself... about 25 or 26 years... I will always stick with the Steelers No Matter What....My former sister n law was a Buccaneers fan ...when they won the 1 super bowl... this past season she was a Steelers fan... I hate that...what do you think?
God Bless You All
Elvis

Send back down to Tampa and she can witness the life of a true Steelers fan. I might even allow her to ride in the back of the truck. I might even let her wave the flags around too. While she's at it, she can meet at O'Briens in Tampa to join the rest of the Bay Area Fan Club. Of course, being a band wagoner, she might have to wait outside until a seat becomes available or just be happy with SRO!

stlrtruck
08-17-2006, 09:18 PM
I didn't have a choice growing up. Both my parents were born close to Pittsburgh. They moved to Indiana before I was born. But my mom didn't give me choice. It was the Steelers or else. I wouldn't want it any other way. I love when people call me a band wagon jumper. I just reply I'm also a Pirates fan and proud of it. I love the Burgh. If I watched hockey I would root for the Pens. Just can't get into hockey.

I wasn't born in Pittsburgh, never lived in Pittsburgh, traveled 3 hours to get there when I did make the journey, now live about 18 hours away, and my daughter doesn't have a choice!

CantStop85
08-17-2006, 09:18 PM
What about fans that have two favorite teams. Like my boy's neighbor,he likes the Steelers and the Colts. WTF,either you bleed black and gold or you don't. Omp.
There's no way I could root for two NFL teams...I'm either rooting for the bengals or I'm not rooting at all.

However, in other sports such as NBA, I found it hard in the past to like just one team because I wasn't as interested in it as I am in football or college basketball. Maybe, he's just not a huge fan of the NFL like some of us are.

Haiku_Dirtt
08-17-2006, 10:28 PM
God Bless You All
Elvis

First of all what does she look like - the sister in law? Then we can decide.

Someone else mentioned the Lakers which is so true. I saw it with the Seahawks last year. Everybody who use to live within 1000 miles of Seattle all of a sudden were 'fans.' There are a lot of Steelers fans everywhere I go and although many are not diehard fans its more about the NFL not topping their list.

The one factor you should consider before banishing bandwagoners is merchandise sales. International sales were through the roof. Can you imagine what kind of revenue will be generated in Korea alone this year and among other Asian countries. You're talking about a completely untapped market until Hines won the MVP. That means more for the Rooneys which will hopefully mean more money spent on the team. More money spent on non-salary cap expenses like coaching and scouting.

Give Kevin Colbert a bigger budget to find great players in late rounds that then translates into lower salary cap numbers by plugging in players at close to salary minimums. And this then makes Omar's job easier too.

Relish in it. Don't frown upon it.

Prosdo
08-17-2006, 10:46 PM
I don't mind bandwagon fans that much. I mind bandwagon fans that flaunt around like they've been fans forever...if you've just recently become a fan, admit to it.

This is true. Then you ask them a bit of simple team questions and they get a dumb look like huh?

Buzz05
08-18-2006, 08:25 AM
There's no way I could root for two NFL teams...I'm either rooting for the bengals or I'm not rooting at all.

However, in other sports such as NBA, I found it hard in the past to like just one team because I wasn't as interested in it as I am in football or college basketball. Maybe, he's just not a huge fan of the NFL like some of us are.

There is no way I could root as hard for another team like i do the 'Lers. However, i think there are teams that when they win you say to yourself 'good job' or something along those lines. Teams that do it right, like the Steelers. I am not a KC fan in the least, but i love Larry Johnson. He is from State college and went to penn state, about an hour from where i grew up and i am almost as die hard with PSU as i am with the steelers. I saw him in college a lot when i would go to games. but when he plays pitt this year..i hope he gets 10 yards. The same thing with when Montana played. Granted Im only 23 and was very young when he was in his prime, but he was my first football idol. So i think he can like to see a team do well, as long as they dont play against the steelers, when they play the steelers its death to all those who appose the nation.

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-18-2006, 09:23 AM
This is true. Then you ask them a bit of simple team questions and they get a dumb look like huh?

You want to weed out the Bandwagon jumpers....ask them two questions 1) Where do you watch the game? 2) who was your favorite player during the mid 80's to the early 90's?

If they say they watch the game with friends who are not SteelerFans......uhhh, no:shake02:

If they can't name a player from the our less than glamerous years.....:bs:

X-Terminator
08-18-2006, 09:25 AM
I rip on bandwagon fans all the time - they're usually the ones who all of a sudden rush out to buy a jersey after the Steelers won the championship, but you remember seeing the same guy wearing another team's jersey the year before. They're the ones who always says the Steelers suck and they root for a team that wins...until they won it all, and then they turn into the world's biggest fan. Please! Either you stick by them through thick and thin, or you don't. We don't have any room for "fans" who will turn on the team at the first sign of trouble.

SteelerFanInATL
08-18-2006, 10:17 AM
We don't have any room for "fans" who will turn on the team at the first sign of trouble.

Those are what I call "Fairweather Fans". Someone who cheers for a team only when the team is doing well. Someone like this can never enjoy success the way a "Diehard Fan" does. What makes it sweet is when the team that you have been behind for better and for worse comes through like you knew they could, thus backing up what you have been telling fans of other teams. Any displaceed Pittsburgher knows exactly what I am talking about as I'm sure alot of you Hommies do also. D@%n it sure does feel good.

HometownGal
08-18-2006, 10:22 AM
I have no use for bandwagoneers. All teams have them and unfortunately, the Steelers do as well, though most of them hide under the same bridge. Did you ever go over and browse steelers.com? They have the market on the the bandwagon brigade. :rolleyes:

I've been a Steelers fan since I was a little girl and went through the glory years of the
70's as well as the frustrating seasons in the 80's and early 90's. Sure I spent many a dollar on aluminum foil to ball up and throw at the TV in the 80's, but I still loved my Steelers and stuck by them through thick and thin. All teams have their good times and their bad - to think otherwise is just foolish.

In response to your question on what to do with your sister-in-law, make her stand in a rubber room alone with Chuccccccky. She'll come out covered in spit from head to toe and probably deaf, but she'll convert. :bouncy:

ARKIESTEEL
08-18-2006, 10:25 AM
You want to weed out the Bandwagon jumpers....ask them two questions 1) Where do you watch the game? 2) who was your favorite player during the mid 80's to the early 90's?

If they say they watch the game with friends who are not SteelerFans......uhhh, no:shake02:

I like Merril Hoge and Barry Foster for most of them answers and I watch the game at home (direct ticket)

I liked Eric Green too before the drugs

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-18-2006, 11:47 AM
I like Merril Hoge and Barry Foster for most of them answers and I watch the game at home (direct ticket)

I liked Eric Green too before the drugs

Spoken Like a true fan...I loved Louis Lipps ...double threat at WR and punt returns.....and I watch the games at home ..noone needs to be around me when we lose...and noone is allowed to talk during games...(I wish I could impose that rule on John Madden)

..and hometown girl...I relate to the aluminum foil toss at the tv...I have a foam brick that I specifically remember throwing at Plaxico a couple of times (remember him catching the ball...hitting the ground...not getting touched... and thinking he was down so he left THE BALL where he fell:dang: )

BlackNGold203
08-18-2006, 12:02 PM
Spoken Like a true fan...I loved Louis Lipps ...double threat at WR and punt returns.....and I watch the games at home ..noone needs to be around me when we lose...and noone is allowed to talk during games...(I wish I could impose that rule on John Madden)

..and hometown girl...I relate to the aluminum foil toss at the tv...I have a foam brick that I specifically remember throwing at Plaxico a couple of times (remember him catching the ball...hitting the ground...not getting touched... and thinking he was down so he left THE BALL where he fell:dang: )

Mannn!!!

I had one of those foam bricks!!!

AWESOME!!!!

I watch at home...I need to concentrate on the game...

80's Steelers???....god....yeah....Lipps...Bryan Hinckle....Hoge...Brister....lol...David Woodley??....remember him???

:cool: :cool:

AZ_Steeler
08-18-2006, 12:06 PM
My biggest thing about the whole band-wagon label is when the Steelers are winning and someone sees me wearing my Steeler stuff and accuses me of being on the band wagon... even my own wife! Of course she's only saying it around other people to get a reaction and to embarrass me... anyways back to what I was saying, it really gets under my skin to have this label thrown at me.

I have never dropped a dime on another teams jersey, shirt, hat, etc. As a matter of fact, when I was about 13-15 years of age my mom took a trip to Denver around the time of the Super Bowl when Denver was playing, and she brought me home a 3.5 inch Denver button saying AFC Champs (the kind with the safety pin on the back of it) I told her I didn't want it because I don't like Denver.

I think I'm going to start a photo album of me, like when I was 5 playing in the yard wearing my Bradshaw or Harris jersey with mt Steeler helemt, and the pictures of me getting my Steeler coat, boots and gloves in the 2nd grade for Christmas, wearing my bright yellow Steeler jacket to Jr High in the late 80's when the Steelers were so-so and putting up with the ridicules, the countless number of pictures of my entire childhood and adulthood sporting a different Steeler cap every single year. Then the next time someone throws that label at me I can throw my book at them :WINK:

The good thing is I don't feel like I need to prove myself around here and everyone seems as die hard as myself!!!

lostsailor73
08-18-2006, 03:25 PM
Hi. Fan from W PA (now living in NC), new to the board. Great site!
What I hate is when people say and think they are hardcore fans just because they have a lot of Steelers gear. Most of those people couldn't name more than 3 or 4 players on the team and don't really follow the game like a true fan should. They're probably the same people who talk during the game. That's why I watch at home or a place where there is nothing to distract from the game.

AZ_Steeler
08-18-2006, 03:30 PM
What I hate is when people say and think they are hardcore fans just because they have a lot of Steelers gear. Most of those people couldn't name more than 3 or 4 players on the team and don't really follow the game like a true fan should. They're probably the same people who talk during the game. That's why I watch at home or a place where there is nothing to distract from the game.

I'm with you on that one!!! This past SB my wife asked me where I wanted to watch the game and if I wanted to have people over. I told her NO I want ot watch the game by myself because like you said... they talk during the game! I hope your not classifying me with the "have a lot of stuff group"... my last post I was just trying to say I've been a true follower through thick and thin.

BTW... Welcome to the board! You're right this is a great site!!! I wish I would have found it sooner.

floodcitygirl
08-18-2006, 03:30 PM
What I hate is when people say and think they are hardcore fans just because they have a lot of Steelers gear. Most of those people couldn't name more than 3 or 4 players on the team and don't really follow the game like a true fan should. They're probably the same people who talk during the game. That's why I watch at home or a place where there is nothing to distract from the game.Hey LS73! I know that you recognize my name. Where in Johnstown? Good to have you here! :smile:

ARKIESTEEL
08-18-2006, 03:31 PM
Mannn!!!

I had one of those foam bricks!!!

AWESOME!!!!

I watch at home...I need to concentrate on the game...

80's Steelers???....god....yeah....Lipps...Bryan Hinckle....Hoge...Brister....lol...David Woodley??....remember him???

Please dont ever say Brister again I spent alot Of money(self help books therapy) trying to get over the int kid

HometownGal
08-18-2006, 03:32 PM

Hello and welcome to the board, lostsailor73! :smile:

I know what you're saying here - I have an ex who fits that mold. I kept a roll of aluminum foil handy just for him, too - LOL!

The only other player's jersey I ever purchased outside of a Steelers jersey was Jim Kelly's. I had a huge crush on him back then and loved watching him play - plus, he hails from this area. I never wore it to a Steelers game - just basically wore it around the house.

HometownGal
08-18-2006, 03:37 PM
Please dont ever say Brister again I spent alot Of money(self help books therapy) trying to get over the int kid

I have a Brister jersey but that's a long story. :smile: :cool: Nicest guy you'd ever want to meet - not at all like he was portrayed by the media. However, that comment of his about TRS being cold because of the wind coming off of the "lake" will go down in history as one of the biggest boobphisms of all time - LOL! :sofunny:

Black@Gold Forever32
08-18-2006, 03:41 PM
I have a Brister jersey but that's a long story. :smile: :cool: Nicest guy you'd ever want to meet - not at all like he was portrayed by the media. However, that comment of his about TRS being cold because of the wind coming off of the "lake" will go down in history as one of the biggest boobphisms of all time - LOL! :sofunny:

I still have my Bubby Brister starting lineup action figure. I have had that thing since I was 10 or 9 years old. lol

I remember very well when we lost that playoff game in Denver when Bubby was the starting QB. It broke my heart when we lost that game.

stlrtruck
08-18-2006, 09:32 PM
I rip on bandwagon fans all the time - they're usually the ones who all of a sudden rush out to buy a jersey after the Steelers won the championship, but you remember seeing the same guy wearing another team's jersey the year before. They're the ones who always says the Steelers suck and they root for a team that wins...until they won it all, and then they turn into the world's biggest fan. Please! Either you stick by them through thick and thin, or you don't. We don't have any room for "fans" who will turn on the team at the first sign of trouble.

I like guys like that...then I can get Steelers gear cheaper from them after the fade has past away!!!

Yamiyaj
08-20-2006, 09:30 PM
If people question me I just go off on a rant naming all 22 starters, my favorite players, their back stories, the backups, and other information. Or I just show my 4 year old Bettis Jersey, New Ward Jersey, or simply get them to ask someone who knows me.

SteelShooter
08-20-2006, 11:46 PM

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's twice in one night you've cracked me up! Good Job!

HburgXL06
08-21-2006, 03:05 PM

But I was only born in 1987, so I don't remember the 80's at all nor do I remember the early 90's except losin in the super bowl. My dad never explained much of the game to me besides instillin a love of the Steelers so all I know and learned about the game has been what I've picked up on my own for the most part. I'm diehard, I'm just young still.

BuFu

Black@Gold Forever32
08-21-2006, 03:22 PM
But I was only born in 1987, so I don't remember the 80's at all nor do I remember the early 90's except losin in the super bowl. My dad never explained much of the game to me besides instillin a love of the Steelers so all I know and learned about the game has been what I've picked up on my own for the most part. I'm diehard, I'm just young still.

BuFu

Hey we all know your a diehard H-burg. Even though you are a young pup. Enjoy the youth my friend. Its goes fast. I'm only 27 but only yesterday it feels like I was your age.

BlackNGold203
08-21-2006, 03:34 PM
Hey we all know your a diehard H-burg. Even though you are a young pup. Enjoy the youth my friend. Its goes fast. I'm only 27 but only yesterday it feels like I was your age.

LOL...Im trying to remember when I was 27....

..... ..... ..... .... .... ...

nope...cant remember....

Elvis
08-21-2006, 03:35 PM
Glad to see this thread going well... Just want to mention that back when the St.Louis Rams won their tittle and they were so super on Offense, I started seeing alot of Rams jerseys.. .where are those people now?... take a wild guess... they are pullin' for the Steelers or Panthers or Falcons or Kansas City... Just depends on who is winning at the time..I remember some very lean years in Pittsburgh in Chuck Noll's last couple threee years... then when Cowher took over with the same players... we excelled....
Rod Woodson and Carnell Lake are 2 of the greatest Steelers to suit up.. Bam Morris was the best running back in the game in Super Bowl XXX against the Cowpokes... Neil O'Donnell was the best player the Cowboys had in that game. That was Rod Woodson's first game back after knee sergeory...remember that? The very next year... Greg Llloyd tore his knee up... Anyone remember Bam Morris and Andre Hastings and Ernie Mills from that team?
God Bless All
Elvis

augustashark
08-21-2006, 03:45 PM
Glad to see this thread going well... Just want to mention that back when the St.Louis Rams won their tittle and they were so super on Offense, I started seeing alot of Rams jerseys.. .where are those people now?... take a wild guess... they are pullin' for the Steelers or Panthers or Falcons or Kansas City... Just depends on who is winning at the time..I remember some very lean years in Pittsburgh in Chuck Noll's last couple threee years... then when Cowher took over with the same players... we excelled....
Rod Woodson and Carnell Lake are 2 of the greatest Steelers to suit up.. Bam Morris was the best running back in the game in Super Bowl XXX against the Cowpokes... Neil O'Donnell was the best player the Cowboys had in that game. That was Rod Woodson's first game back after knee sergeory...remember that? The very next year... Greg Llloyd tore his knee up... Anyone remember Bam Morris and Andre Hastings and Ernie Mills from that team?
God Bless All
Elvis

Yea, Llloyd also got a staph infection after that.....Ended his career!

I always ask them (Bandwagon fans) Who is your most hated punt returner? and, what was the final score of the Denver Pittsburgh AFC Divisional game in 1989? That one hurt!

Lyn
08-21-2006, 03:53 PM
Ill be honest with you. Being a huge Laker fan, ALOT of Laker fan bandwagoners when the Lakers are winning. But Steeler bandwagoners are really a rareity. I'd say 90% of all Steeler fans are die hard, cheer for them even if they go 0-16 kind of fans......

I agree although membership in all Steeler groups did raise during the Playoofs. Those people will never be around in June, they are NOT Steeler fans. no way no how!~:sofunny:

Mamaduck43
08-21-2006, 04:20 PM
I have been thinking about this, and I have decided that it doesn't really bother me at all.... Some of the most hard core Steelers fans now started as bandwagoners 10 years ago.... If we welcome them with open arms, they might stick around and become knowledgeable fans..... I have talked to a lot of folks (especially, here in Hawaii where we don't have a 'home' team) who started liking the Steelers because they liked the colors, or they received a cap or t-shirt as a gift and started liking the team.... No problem with that.....

I find the Bandwagoners of other teams much more distressing.... The ones who have now donated their Seahawks gear to Goodwill and they will wait until playoffs to decide which team to 'like' this coming season....

One of my best friends at work during SB XXX time was a die-hard Cowboys fan.... He had been one from 'small-kid' time and loved his team almost as much as I love the Steelers...... We hung around together all the time and even became closer as the SB approached.... We respected each other and we teased, but never hurt feelings..... One of our bosses suddenly started supporting the Cowboys, and it was hard to figure out which of the two of us hated what the boss was doing more..... I graciously congratulated my friend after the game, and he commiserated with me re: O'Donnell's performance.....

lostsailor73
08-21-2006, 07:04 PM
I'm with you on that one!!! This past SB my wife asked me where I wanted to watch the game and if I wanted to have people over. I told her NO I want ot watch the game by myself because like you said... they talk during the game! I hope your not classifying me with the "have a lot of stuff group"... my last post I was just trying to say I've been a true follower through thick and thin.

BTW... Welcome to the board! You're right this is a great site!!! I wish I would have found it sooner.

Thanks for welcoming me to the board.

One can never have too much Steelers stuff. There are so many more jerseys that I want to get, but just don't have the money to get them all. As far as current players, I only have Faneca and Polamalu. I want to get Kreider, Hampton and Hartings next.

lostsailor73
08-21-2006, 07:11 PM
Hey LS73! I know that you recognize my name. Where in Johnstown? Good to have you here! :smile:

Hey Floodcitygirl! I figured you were from Johnstown and was going to ask you about that. I am from Geistown and my parents still live there. I will be up there over Labor Day and will probably hit the Folk Festival. We always go to the Irish church (St Columbo's?) on the corner and listen to Irish music and drink Guinness stout.
Speaking of the floods, I was there for the '77 blowout. My dad had my on his shoulders (I was 4) and we were walking in waist-deep water in Moxham and fell into a hole. We were soaked!
Where are you from? Are you still in the area?

SteelCzar76
08-21-2006, 07:20 PM
"Yinz" is trippin (LOL),....i welcome all convert's. Once you go Steel,....it's a lifetime committment. Just because some of these converts have never seen an incline plane,....or been to East Liberty (Burgh),....or Prospect (Carleton Haselrig), Richland (J-town FloodCity),..it doesn't mean they rep us any less. This is the Greatest SPORTS FRANCHISE win lose or draw. With that said,.....new fan's,.....treat yourselves. I'm from L.A.,.... but was blessed to have DEEP roots in western P.A.,...but i don't hold that against ANYONE whom can't say the same. We're the umbrella,...either your with us,....or soaking wet. (LOL)

" Hail Caeasr,....Hail the Black and Gold"

lostsailor73
08-21-2006, 07:27 PM
Hello and welcome to the board, lostsailor73! :smile:

I know what you're saying here - I have an ex who fits that mold. I kept a roll of aluminum foil handy just for him, too - LOL!

The only other player's jersey I ever purchased outside of a Steelers jersey was Jim Kelly's. I had a huge crush on him back then and loved watching him play - plus, he hails from this area. I never wore it to a Steelers game - just basically wore it around the house.

Thanks for welcoming me to the board.
Good idea with the aluminum foil!

Elvis
08-21-2006, 08:01 PM
I also welcome you in Lostsailor73... I am from western NC in a town called Sylva,NC.. Heard of it... I am originaly from Cashiers,NC it is about 40 miles south of where I am at now... again welcome to the greatest forum on the Net.. And God Bless You
God Bless All
Elvis

Hawk Believer
08-21-2006, 08:13 PM
So if you could condense a test for establishing if a fan was bandwagon or not into 3 criteria, what would they be?

Elvis
08-21-2006, 08:15 PM
A bandwagoner chooses a different team every year to root for and never will stick with a team through thick and thin.... how long have you been a Seahawk fan? If you or anyone just roots for a team when it is winning and switchin' when they go through hard times like we did the last 2 or 3 years of Chuck Noll's era. I have been a Steelers fan for over 25 years and I will Not Change My Mind or Team... I GUARENTEE IT!!
Now, I'm not sayin' that the newcomers cant root for our beloved Steelers but if your gonnna change teams every other year when your team slips a little then your NOT a true team fan Not matter who you pull for....
God Bless
Elvis

Hawk Believer
08-21-2006, 09:08 PM
A bandwagoner chooses a different team every year to root for and never will stick with a team through thick and thin.... how long have you been a Seahawk fan? If you or anyone just roots for a team when it is winning and switchin' when they go through hard times like we did the last 2 or 3 years of Chuck Noll's era. I have been a Steelers fan for over 25 years and I will Not Change My Mind or Team... I GUARENTEE IT!!
Now, I'm not sayin' that the newcomers cant root for our beloved Steelers but if your gonnna change teams every other year when your team slips a little then your NOT a true team fan Not matter who you pull for....
God Bless
Elvis
I was born just about when the Seahawks came into existance. My favorite player as a little kid was Manu Tuiasosopo and I always got questions about how to pronounce his name when I wore his jersey all over the place. I wish I had access to a picture of myself as a second grader for Halloween. I went trick or treating as a Seahawk with my friend. He had a pretty real looking helmet. All I had was this protec bike helmet. So I had to wrap it in aluminum foil and my sister helped me make a hand drawn logo and made a face mask out of hanger wire. It was pretty white trash. But it makes for a funny picture now.

I totally agree with you about how annoying people who switch allegiances soley based on who is doing well. I am curious to see what people would come up with if asked to establish objective criteria for what a hardcore fan would be.

Perhaps....

1. Has not had no primary allegiance to another NFL team within the last 7 years.
2. Their second favorite team is who ever is playing their biggest rival.
3. They can explain what a safety (not the position) is and how the ball is put back in play after a safety is recorded.

Mosca
08-21-2006, 09:27 PM
Thing is, if you're old enough to remember the Steelers from the '60s, you'd realize that the fans who latched onto the team in the '70s could be considered "bandwagoners" who stuck. I still remember doing a Myron Cope imitation where he says, "It looks like it's gonna be SOS again this year--same old Steelers." The Steelers rarely filled Pitt Stadium on Sundays, you could always get a walkup ticket on game day.

I say welcome these people into the Steeler Nation. Many of them will discover the values of discipline, hard work and sacrifice for the team are worth embracing permanently, just like the fans of the '70s did.

Tom

BlackNGold203
08-21-2006, 09:33 PM
In my humble.....

A hardcore fan is in love with the colors. If someone is a Steeler...wears the black and gold...then he's OK with me (With the exception, unfortunately these days...of convicted felons)...a "real" fan loves his team..win..lose..or draw...

Cheer the Black and Gold....every year...with all you got....

Hawk Believer
08-21-2006, 09:35 PM
In my humble.....

A hardcore fan is in love with the colors. If someone is a Steeler...wears the black and gold...then he's OK with me (With the exception, unfortunately these days...of convicted felons)...a "real" fan loves his team..win..lose..or draw...

Cheer the Black and Gold....every year...with all you got....

I will try to seek solace from these words as I continue to cheer for my UW Huskies while they wallow in the basement of the PAC 10.

BlackNGold203
08-21-2006, 09:38 PM
I will try to seek solace from these words as I continue to cheer for my UW Huskies while they wallow in the basement of the PAC 10.

kudos to you!!

thats the key..you love UW?..you root for them good or bad...the bandwaggoners?...will jump off...THATS the difference

(sent you some mojo for UW.....)

Lyn
08-21-2006, 11:10 PM
The thing I have a problem with is meeting people who have 2 or 3 "favorite" NFL teams.

I don't understand how you can have more than one "favorite" anything/

I like no other NFL teams unless for them to win helps the Steelers, then I am a fan of theirs THAT DAY.
:jammin: I do like 2 NCAA teams MSU and OSU, however, MSU is my favorite when playing OSU but when OSU plays U of M I am an OSU fan all the way.

Hawk Believer
08-21-2006, 11:16 PM
What about allowing yourself to root for a team in the other conference just as means of keeping tabs on what the other half is doing? But if they ever met in the SB, you there would be no question of who you supported.

I kinda do that with the Chargers now that my Hawks aren't in the AFC. But I hope the Hawks eviscerate them when we play this Christmas eve.

Haiku_Dirtt
08-22-2006, 04:32 AM
I guess I'm in the minority...well no alone in this view.

I moved to PGH in 1976 and left in 1983...not by choice and in protest. Unfortunately I was a minor and had no money for a good lawyer.

YOU KNOW WHAT AND WHO YOU ARE. Because some lame facsimile is roaming the streets shouldn't diminish that. You were ahead of the curve.

Just smile and encourage them to BUY MORE GEAR. Say HEY you really need this or that. BUY MORE STEELER MERCHANDISE. Cmon guys. Money makes the world go round and round. Knowing their money goes Black & Gold should bring a smile to your face.

Unless you think their money is better off in Paul Allen's pocket. Not me.

Steelillini
08-22-2006, 01:28 PM
Thing is, if you're old enough to remember the Steelers from the '60s, you'd realize that the fans who latched onto the team in the '70s could be considered "bandwagoners" who stuck. I still remember doing a Myron Cope imitation where he says, "It looks like it's gonna be SOS again this year--same old Steelers." The Steelers rarely filled Pitt Stadium on Sundays, you could always get a walkup ticket on game day.

I say welcome these people into the Steeler Nation. Many of them will discover the values of discipline, hard work and sacrifice for the team are worth embracing permanently, just like the fans of the '70s did.

Tom

kinda what I was thinking. Being from Illinois I started rooting for the Steelers in the 70's so by definition I was probably a bandwagon fan then, but now 30 years later I am a diehard. Here Here to welcoming them. I just ask them to obtain some knowledge of the Steelers and have fun.............Once you go Black-n-Gold you never go back

WisconsinSteelerMan
08-22-2006, 05:57 PM
OK...

I ain't NO BANDWAGON fan...that's for sure....

I remember sitting with my entire extended family for a Super Bowl Party when the Steelers won in the 70's I remember sitting with my future mother-in-law with her REGULATION penalty flag and having her throw it at the TV (missing it thankfully or it would have busted) in the 80's...

I REMEMBER CLIFF STOUDT!!! GAWD how he SUCKED! Of course, anyone would have stunk it up after Bradshaw retired...

When I moved to Wisconsin from Pittsburgh in the early 90's I lost touch with the team...got busy starting my life over in CHEEZ country. I got "back" on the bandwagon every year when I went home for the holidays or for a sales trip to the burgh and got a chance to see a game...

I watch the Packers when I can't get the Steelers (Don't have NFL Sunday Ticket...I'm cheap!) I cheer for the Pack, but there is something when you are a hardcore fan of the Steelers...you cheer more strongly and get MUCH MORE into the game...

I ain't no Bandwagon fan...........

LOVE MY STILLERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

Can't wait for September 7!!!!!!!

Mike in La Crosse, WI

LarryNJ
08-22-2006, 09:08 PM
I don't understand how you can have more than one "favorite" anything/
I have several favorite BEERS! :cheers:

NFL teams only 1! The first game I remember I was 12 years old sitting in the livingroom with my dad listening o the game on a transistor radio. (Back than the home games were blacked out) It was the playoff game when Franco made his famous catch. I forget what they called it! ;) My dad was jumping up & down screaming ever since I've been hooked. Being in the Philly area now I root for the Eagles but I don't get that sick feeling when the lose like I do with the Steelers. Actually I get a good feeling when they lose! :smile:

HburgXL06
08-23-2006, 01:07 AM

Thank you, and dont worry I'm gonna enjoy it as much as I can!

On a side note......why do I feel like a thread complainin about bandwagon fans has been taken over.....by bandwagon fans? Just curious.

BuFu

BigBen2WardPITT
08-23-2006, 10:35 PM
..and on the flip side..you go in to buy some Steeler gear and you get "the look" from "pimple faced Petey"...who thinks you are a band wagon jumper. Makes you want to choke that post-puberty squeak out of his throat.

yea someone at school called me a bandwagon jumper, i wanted to punch him in the face, just because i was bragin about our 15-1 season.

WV-SteelerFan
08-24-2006, 04:27 PM
I'm new here, so, I hope it's ok to add my 2 cents...lol...For Xmas one year, my brother's g/f got me one of those "popcorn tins" with 3 flavors of popcorn. It was a Steeler tin & I still have it (10 years later). What she said about me was "You can give him anything as a present as long as it says Steelers!" I am definitely not a bandwagoner/fairweather fan...
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k247/drsnyde/Steelerledsign.gif

TXSTEELER
08-24-2006, 10:05 PM
No one will ever accuse me a being a bandwagon fan. Just ask my co workers. I have been stuck in KS for 28 years but have never wavered. My desk has been decorated in black and gold since I arrived. I have always had a Steeler License Plate of some kind on my truck. My favorite of course was and is "City of Champions" back in 79 when the Pirates and Steelers won it all. I know bandwagon fans very well, most of the Chief fans are like that out here. You never saw more red and white when they actually were winning some games. ME, I wear my Steeler gear wherever I go. At work on Fridays and if I am working on Saturday I even wear my hat. I have put up with a lot of crap from the Seattle folks I deal with at Boeing this year, but heh, we won the SB, what the hell. I get them back by sending them email with the slogan: "Steelers, five rings and counting" attached to the bottom of my signature. Now let's go get another ring!!!

Haiku_Dirtt
08-25-2006, 04:07 AM

Try being a Trojan fan under Larry Smith, Paul Hackett and John Robinson II.

This thread has serious legs but there are some great points listed above.

If they become fans and stay fans then great. But you won't know until times are rough.

Call it "In-Law Status" or whatever. But to not let new people become Steeler fans is quite frankly Un-American. Are we going to stop a fascist from embracing democracy.

The Huskies are bouncing off the bottom but I hope things change up there for you guys.

Haiku_Dirtt
08-25-2006, 04:12 AM
I have several favorite BEERS! :cheers:

NFL teams only 1! The first game I remember I was 12 years old sitting in the livingroom with my dad listening o the game on a transistor radio. (Back than the home games were blacked out) It was the playoff game when Franco made his famous catch. I forget what they called it! ;) My dad was jumping up & down screaming ever since I've been hooked. Being in the Philly area now I root for the Eagles but I don't get that sick feeling when the lose like I do with the Steelers. Actually I get a good feeling when they lose! :smile:

I know what Lyn is saying and she is right...especially when a relationship is the topic.

But when it comes to food and beverage I need a spreadsheet to document my favorites.:bouncy:

DiggetyDank
08-25-2006, 05:53 AM
I grew up in PA, became a Steeler fan cause of my family, but I still root for the PSU dudes no matter what team they're on. In other sports, aside from football, I go for the Montreal teams (including the Washington Nationals)