PDA

View Full Version : Bill Cowher: 8-8 won't trigger Steelers panic

WokeUpWithaWoodley
01-30-2013, 09:20 AM
NEW ORLEANS -- Bill Cowher knows all about what it's like to go 8-8 as the Steelers did last season. Worse, he knows what 7-9 and 6-10 feel like, and the panic that can go with records like those no matter how successful his teams were previously.

That panic, however, never came from within, and he predicts it won't occur this time, either, after the Steelers' worst record since Cowher's last team went 8-8 in 2006.
"No. 1, there's a history with this organization; they don't panic," said Cowher, who is in town for his duties for CBS, which will broadcast the Super Bowl. "You sit back, reassess, make some hard decisions."

Among those tough decisions could be to let some aging veterans go. Cowher had to do it with Hall of Famers like Rod Woodson and Dermontti Dawson, and other stars like Greg Lloyd, Carnell Lake and more. Mike Tomlin had to do it last season, and there will be more in the weeks ahead.

"It's the hardest thing in coaching," Cowher said. "I know Mike, how much he appreciates the guys who are out there battling, and the Rooneys appreciate that. But you know the hardest thing in the world sometimes is making sure that you assess a player for where he's at, not for where he's been. Sometimes, we get caught up remembering how they were and not how they are. In assessing that, those are the toughest decisions you have to make."

Cowher suggested players such as outside linebacker James Harrison, nose tackle Casey Hampton, inside linebacker Larry Foote and even safety Troy Polamalu could fall under that umbrella, and that wide receiver Mike Wallace and running back Rashard Mendenhall would leave as free agents.

"You're going to come up with a couple guys right now with Wallace and Mendenhall moving forward. There are some situations on defense with age issues, whether it's Casey or James, Foote, maybe Troy. One thing is, that's always going to come up with every team.
"You still have some veterans and youth, and I think they've always done a good job of that. You go back, there was such a fine line this year. Those games they won in the past they lost this year."
What should the Steelers do?

"Just don't overanalyze," said Cowher, whose Steelers teams went 149-90-1 over his 15 regular seasons, won two AFC championships and one Super Bowl. "That offensive line, you were starting two rookies at the end of the season, right guard and right tackle.
"There's a lot of reasons why they were 8-8. I don't think you have to totally restructure everything you're doing. Just sit back and reassess and kind of refocus on doing things more consistently, and I think they'll do that."

Cowher sounded as if he were reassessing his own situation three weeks ago when he was quoted as saying he would "probably" get back into coaching. He quickly debunked that idea publicly and emphasized Tuesday he has no plans to do so.
"I said what I said. But I had just gotten up to talk about the Super Bowl for CBS. I was involved in my kind of coaching mindset -- 'this is a journey, you never remember who loses this game.' That was the mantra we had in 2006 when we won the championship.
"When I got done, first question was, 'You've been out for six years, do you think you can still win in this league?' "
Answer: "Yeah, I think I can win. It's not like I forgot coaching after 27 years.
"Next question was, 'Don't you think it would be a challenge?' "
Answer: "Yes, it would be a challenge, and that may be the ultimate challenge that brings me back."
He hasn't ruled out a return to coaching at some point. "I'm 55, I'm healthy, I feel really good. I do love my job. To sit there and say 'never' is a long time, but I really don't have any intentions at this point. I'm really happy at CBS. My intentions are not to come back."

He recently purchased a multimillion dollar condo in New York City and still has the house in Raleigh, N.C. Some more good fortune came his way 21/2 weeks ago, when the NHL Los Angeles Kings traded his son-in-law, Kevin Westgarth, to the Carolina Hurricanes, who play in Raleigh. Westgarth, an enforcer on the ice, is married to Cowher's eldest daughter, Meagan. The couple moved from Los Angeles and into Cowher's home in Raleigh.

As for Sundays' game, Cowher likes the matchup and is pulling for the Ravens, his old bitter rivals.
"I root for John Harbaugh, I root for the players. Even when you were playing against them, you respected them. To me, they represent the AFC North. It's like, if you're not going to win it, you want them to, and the way they're going about doing it. There are amazing storylines. It's got the making of a really good game."

Cowher might wish he could prowl the sideline one more time for this one, then reality sets in.
"You miss coaching," he said, "but I don't miss the lifestyle."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/cowher-8-8-wont-trigger-steelers-panic-672597/#ixzz2JTMCwiyh

maddog78
01-30-2013, 09:50 AM
Cowher let Woodson walk? Baloney. The FO did.

Steelers>NFL
01-30-2013, 09:55 AM
Nice read. I miss Cowher!

SteelersCanada
01-30-2013, 10:38 AM
Bye Troy.

VaDave
01-30-2013, 10:48 AM
Bye Troy.

Not quite yet, IMO......The others....... Let's just say we are going to have some roster spots available, and probably more than we will fill with draft picks. It's going to be a very different lineup this year.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
01-30-2013, 11:10 AM
Bye Troy.

Theres is no way the FO would ever let go of Troy unless it was serious cap problems.

But if we did cut Troy I believe he would retire imo.

Lady Steel
01-30-2013, 11:15 AM
Miss you, Coach Cowher!

LVSteelersfan
01-30-2013, 11:36 AM
As much as I hate to say it Troy cannot stay healthy. He has hardly played at all the past few seasons and the last 2 years he has been pretty much ineffective most of the time. He is obviously not the Troy of old and I really don't think he can play any other way than all out. I hope he stays but I also hope he can stay on the field and not sitting on the sidelines. It is a total waste of a roster spot keeping him there sitting on the bench year after year. Sometimes you have to make the hard decisions as an organization. I seriously doubt that Troy has more than a season left in him.

Steelers>NFL
01-30-2013, 12:00 PM
As much as I hate to say it Troy cannot stay healthy. He has hardly played at all the past few seasons and the last 2 years he has been pretty much ineffective most of the time. He is obviously not the Troy of old and I really don't think he can play any other way than all out. I hope he stays but I also hope he can stay on the field and not sitting on the sidelines. It is a total waste of a roster spot keeping him there sitting on the bench year after year. Sometimes you have to make the hard decisions as an organization. I seriously doubt that Troy has more than a season left in him.

Same applies to Ben. I don't think he ever played a whole season since his rookie season. But we can not give up on Ben.
I say Troy has 1 more season. If he is hurt again, he will retire.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
01-30-2013, 12:48 PM
Same applies to Ben. I don't think he ever played a whole season since his rookie season. But we can not give up on Ben.
I say Troy has 1 more season. If he is hurt again, he will retire.

The only way we cut Troy is if we have his replacement and we don't have a replacement yet.

This is his first year going into the off season healthy I believe he'll make an impact next year, and you could tell he was looking like his old self again at the end of the season.

pete74
01-30-2013, 01:00 PM
The only way we cut Troy is if we have his replacement and we don't have a replacement yet.

This is his first year going into the off season healthy I believe he'll make an impact next year, and you could tell he was looking like his old self again at the end of the season.

I think we looked just as good when Troy was out this season.
He is one of my favorite players of all time but if it were up to me I would cut him then cry like a baby. I can't imagine our team without him but he has missed to many games and isn't worth the big paycheck anymore in my eyes. Like Cower said, you pay for what they can do not what they did.

SteelersCanada
01-30-2013, 01:08 PM
Cut Troy and draft Jonathan Cyprien in the third round. In the second, pick up Amerson to be Ryan Clark's replacement and they can both play in 2014. Seems like a pretty easy solution here guys.

austinfrench76
01-30-2013, 01:13 PM
That's why I love Cowher! The man is awesome. His playoff record sucked, but as a man, awesome! Don't panic, reassess and make hard decisions. I always forget that we had to let Lloyd, Woodson and Lake leave. I was thinking there was no way in hell that Troy isn't on thsi team next year but who knows??? Maybe eevn Ryan Clark, their (IMO) Defensive MVP last year. Either way, we will be fine. Drafted, again IMO, the right way the past few years. We will have some growing pains but with BB, all is possible! Go Steelers '13-'14!!!

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
01-30-2013, 01:54 PM
I think we looked just as good when Troy was out this season.
He is one of my favorite players of all time but if it were up to me I would cut him then cry like a baby. I can't imagine our team without him but he has missed to many games and isn't worth the big paycheck anymore in my eyes. Like Cower said, you pay for what they can do not what they did.

Yeah we did still look good without him but Troy is the only playmaker that can create turnovers on Defense and that's one thing this Defense lacks.

LVSteelersfan
01-30-2013, 03:00 PM
Yeah we did still look good without him but Troy is the only playmaker that can create turnovers on Defense and that's one thing this Defense lacks.

Then obviously they need to get some more players that can create turnovers. That will not happen as long as we keep the same old guys out there who have not done the job for the past two years. I don't get how turnovers aren't factored into being a top ranked defense. Because I kept hearing that the Steelers had the #1 defense last season. Frankly, that was not even close to a top ranked D.

steelfury02
01-30-2013, 03:53 PM
Then obviously they need to get some more players that can create turnovers. That will not happen as long as we keep the same old guys out there who have not done the job for the past two years. I don't get how turnovers aren't factored into being a top ranked defense. Because I kept hearing that the Steelers had the #1 defense last season. Frankly, that was not even close to a top ranked D.

yea, the rankings are nice when turnovers and winning big games went along with it. I heard a lot of Steelers players pointing to that ranking at the end of the season. Appropriate quotes from guys sitting out of the playoffs.

FrancoLambert
01-30-2013, 05:05 PM
Uggggh.....he's rooting for the Ravens? Can't see it.
I buy the respect thing and representing the AFC North, BUT I would never root for the Right Reverend Ray Lewis and that crybaby Harbaugh.
Problem is I'm then pulling for the other crybaby Harbaugh.
This matchup sucks.

VaDave
01-31-2013, 07:14 AM
Uggggh.....he's rooting for the Ravens? Can't see it.
I buy the respect thing and representing the AFC North, BUT I would never root for the Right Reverend Ray Lewis and that crybaby Harbaugh.
Problem is I'm then pulling for the other crybaby Harbaugh.
This matchup sucks.

Yeah, I'd much rather root for the other crybaby Harbaugh....... LOL!!

As for Troy, he's one more concussion from done, and he STILL will not form tackle. You throw your head at someone's legs, you're going to get dinged.

Last year when he was out, after a couple of rough games ( Taylor really struggled during this time) adjusting to life without Troy, I thought they played solidly in the secondary.

I'll agree about the lack of turnovers. Speaking of which, I've never seen so many gifted athletes NOT being able to track a ball in the air, They are pathetic. We don't need replacements, we need an optometrist......

maddog78
01-31-2013, 08:28 AM
Cut Troy and draft Jonathan Cyprien in the third round. In the second, pick up Amerson to be Ryan Clark's replacement and they can both play in 2014. Seems like a pretty easy solution here guys.

Yeah, it's easy replacing first-ballot HOF guys in the draft. Look how well we replaced Woodson years ago. Joe Greene before that. Lambert, Ham...the list goes on.

I don't know why we waste time drafting guys who won't be first-ballot HOF'ers.

Atlanta Dan
01-31-2013, 09:29 AM
My guess is 2013 will be the end for Troy - that will be 11 seasons

He actually appeared to show more of the old Troy the last 2 games of the season - it would be nice if he went out with a good year'

Troy will end up in the HOF but candidly his only 2 fine seasons since the first Super Bowl win in 2005 were 2008 and 2010 (until he was injured in the second Cincinnati game that year and was worthless in the playoffs)

SteelersCanada
01-31-2013, 09:48 AM
Yeah, it's easy replacing first-ballot HOF guys in the draft. Look how well we replaced Woodson years ago. Joe Greene before that. Lambert, Ham...the list goes on.

I don't know why we waste time drafting guys who won't be first-ballot HOF'ers.

It's easy replacing first ballot HOF guys when they don't produce. You're absolutely right, we couldn't replace the Troy of old. Ya know, back when he contributed in 2010 but since then, he's been a shell of his former self. I'd rather have a 21 year old start all 16 games for around 850k then have a 31 year old start, miss 9 games and have a 10 million dollar cap hit. It'd be easier to swallow that pill if he contributed but sadly, he hasn't in a couple of years.

I'm sorry, he's just not the Troy we've all come to know and love anymore. He's not worth it anymore. Trade him to a team that doesn't know any better and we can continue the 'reload not rebuild' mantra.

teegre
01-31-2013, 10:24 AM
It's easy replacing first ballot HOF guys when they don't produce. You're absolutely right, we couldn't replace the Troy of old. Ya know, back when he contributed in 2010 but since then, he's been a shell of his former self. I'd rather have a 21 year old start all 16 games for around 850k then have a 31 year old start, miss 9 games and have a 10 million dollar cap hit. It'd be easier to swallow that pill if he contributed but sadly, he hasn't in a couple of years.

I'm sorry, he's just not the Troy we've all come to know and love anymore. He's not worth it anymore. Trade him to a team that doesn't know any better and we can continue the 'reload not rebuild' mantra.

I posted this in another thread, but maybe it belongs here...

Not to be argumentative, but trading Woodley actually makes just as much sense as trading Troy... if not more so.

Troy: 31
Woodley: 28
ADVANTAGE: Woodley... although not significantly younger (& Troy is in better physical shape).

Troy: when healthy, the best player at his position.
Woodley: when healthy, "one of" the best sack artists (and good against the run).
ADVANTAGE: Troy.

Troy: injured for two years, but came on at the end of last season (watch the Cincy game).
Woodley: was looking strong, and then got injured for the last part of that year & the next year.
ADVANTAGE: Equal... although, again, Troy is more physically fit... and looks closer to being "back" to his old self.

Lastly...

Troy: $7.1 million cap hit
Woodley: $7.2 million cap hit
ADVANTAGE: Equal.

teegre
01-31-2013, 10:31 AM
Cowher let Woodson walk? Baloney. The FO did.

Cowher asked Rod to play FS. Rod was adamant that he could return to his old form... and thus, they parted ways.

After a failed year in SF, Woodson (finally) accepted the move to FS.

If only Rod had had that epiphany a year sooner. Alas...

tanda10506
02-02-2013, 07:58 PM
Theres is no way the FO would ever let go of Troy unless it was serious cap problems.

But if we did cut Troy I believe he would retire imo.

There are serious cap problems, and I agree that he would likely retire.

As for him being like his old self again, it will never happen. There is no reason to think that he will start staying healthier as he gets older and he hasn't made a significant play since 2010. I'm not sure if he will be cut or not, and I wouldn't like to see it, but it may be necessary. The cap situation is terrible and our defense was just as good with Will Allen.