PDA

View Full Version : Junior Seau coming back

Hines86Ward
08-17-2006, 06:53 PM
Junior Seau is coming back to the NFL after retiring for 3 days. He's going to sign a deal with the Patriots sometime tomorrow

AZ_Steeler
08-17-2006, 06:57 PM
:link:

tony hipchest
08-17-2006, 06:58 PM
this was just a matter of time. i was suprised they didnt sign him before he announced his retirement. i just figured they were still trying to work a deal for donnie edwards (they probably were)

this move looks good on paper and seau will be a situational player maybe playing 25-35 snaps a game. dont know if he can hold up.

tony hipchest
08-17-2006, 06:59 PM
:link: it was just announced on sportscenter

Hawk Believer
08-17-2006, 07:03 PM
:link:
http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20060817-1516-bn17seau.html

Ambridge
08-17-2006, 07:06 PM
I bet when Nick Saban gets the news about Junior going to the Pats that's going to run through him faster than a dozen ears of hot buttered corn.

AZ_Steeler
08-17-2006, 07:06 PM
it was just announced on sportscenter

Wow! I'm still at work and haven't convinced my manager to hook up a TV in my office with ESPN on it!

Thanks though!

That's really something else, did they release any terms about the contract? What kind of an effect will this have on the contract for Branch?

I'm not sure how much of an impact he'll be on defense, this dude is at the end of the road when it comes to his career. Maybe they are just looking for some veteran leadership.. I don't know

Ambridge
08-17-2006, 07:19 PM
Wow! I'm still at work and haven't convinced my manager to hook up a TV in my office with ESPN on it!

Thanks though!

That's really something else, did they release any terms about the contract? What kind of an effect will this have on the contract for Branch?

I'm not sure how much of an impact he'll be on defense, this dude is at the end of the road when it comes to his career. Maybe they are just looking for some veteran leadership.. I don't know

Even though Junior officially retired wasn't he still the property of the Dolphins regardless of contract status??

tony hipchest
08-17-2006, 07:20 PM
ambridge- i was wondering... did seau dump the dolphins or did they dump him? i cant remember.

az- look at this like them signing brown last year. they need someone bad after willie mac left. at this point for them, what is in his head is more important than whats left in his body. he could still be an effective roll player.

boLT fan
08-17-2006, 07:46 PM
at this point for them, what is in his head is more important than whats left in his body. he could still be an effective roll player.

And that's exactly what he said he didn't want to be on an interview on NFL Total Access. I guess if you pay a man enough he'll do it.

I hope he doesn't sign with them, or anyone for that matter.

Petesburgh66
08-17-2006, 08:13 PM
ambridge- i was wondering... did seau dump the dolphins or did they dump him? i cant remember.

Dolphins released him to save 2.1 million under the cap. He was injury proned the past two seasons and hence why they cut bait.

tony hipchest
08-17-2006, 08:16 PM
And that's exactly what he said he didn't want to be on an interview on NFL Total Access. I guess if you pay a man enough he'll do it.

I hope he doesn't sign with them, or anyone for that matter.

his whole retirement speach contradicts him being signed by the pats. im betting the extra $500,000 - million saved on not signing vinatieri will be just dropped in seau's lap.

at the end of the year they will wish they spent that money on a clutch kicker instead of overpaying an overpriced roll player.

83-Steelers-43
08-17-2006, 08:16 PM
Anybody listen to this guy's rant on Sports Center the other day? I thought I was listening to Jerry Falwell or Al Sharpton.

tony hipchest
08-17-2006, 08:21 PM
Dolphins released him to save 2.1 million under the cap. He was injury proned the past two seasons and hence why they cut bait. thanks. that means the dolphins relinquished all rights and he was a free agent.

and i saw his rant on sportscenter and heard even more when they played the audible on sirius. i get the patriots hoping he is the next r. harisson or c. brown :bouncy:. what i dont get is them making a move like this and skimping on the one who clearly paved the way and won 3 sb's for them.

Livinginthe past
08-17-2006, 08:30 PM
Its no secret that the Patriots are thinner than Nicole Richie at LBer.

What the team need is another vocal leader/ defensive QB - someone who can get everyone in position if Bruschi or Harrison aren't on the field.

Who knows how much of an effective player this guy can be for us, if he signs, its surely too much to expect him to have an impact anywhere as strong as Rodney when he arrived.

It can't hurt to have him on board anyway - im sure BB knows what he is doing.

NM

tony hipchest
08-17-2006, 08:46 PM
im sure BB knows what he is doing.

NMas proven by the signings of d. starks d. terrell and c. brown right? and the player acquired via trade with the saints?

simple rule is is that if theyre not acquired directly from the steelers theyre not gonna help much. look for the pats to pick up mike kudla (and which ever wr the steelers let go).

BlackNGold203
08-17-2006, 08:53 PM
perhaps bruschi's wrist is worse than advertised.....

Livinginthe past
08-17-2006, 08:59 PM
as proven by the signings of d. starks d. terrell and c. brown right? and the player acquired via trade with the saints?

simple rule is is that if theyre not acquired directly from the steelers theyre not gonna help much. look for the pats to pick up mike kudla (and which ever wr the steelers let go).

Well correct me if im wrong, but the players that BB has picked up from Pittsburgh have gone on to be involved in 2 or 3 SB's - players such as Mike Vrabel and Hank Poteat.

Now, either the coaching staff at Pittsburgh couldnt develop the talent in these guys that was so obvious to the Patriots coaching staff or the players that were holding them out of the team were simply superior.

History shows us, from numerous head-2-head match ups in crucial playoff games that these same players could not outperform the ones that left for the Patriots when it really counted.

If the patriots had been scraping around the 8-8 mark with these Steelers cast-offs then I couldnt understand the degree of smugness you are displaying - but the fact is the patriots have taken these players and used them to outperform the Steelers more often than not over the last 5 years.

I look forward to seeing how the Steelers deal with the inflated perceptions of self-worth of their players should they be successful again anytime soon.

Of course, we shouldnt count our chickens before they hatch - the Steelers are a long, long way from repeating a SB win, let alone repeating the feats of this current Patriots dynasty.

NM

Livinginthe past
08-17-2006, 09:00 PM
perhaps bruschi's wrist is worse than advertised.....

That has to be a very strong possibility.

NM

BlackNGold203
08-17-2006, 09:08 PM
Well correct me if im wrong, but the players that BB has picked up from Pittsburgh have gone on to be involved in 2 or 3 SB's - players such as Mike Vrabel and Hank Poteat.

Now, either the coaching staff at Pittsburgh couldnt develop the talent in these guys that was so obvious to the Patriots coaching staff or the players that were holding them out of the team were simply superior.

History shows us, from numerous head-2-head match ups in crucial playoff games that these same players could not outperform the ones that left for the Patriots when it really counted.

If the patriots had been scraping around the 8-8 mark with these Steelers cast-offs then I couldnt understand the degree of smugness you are displaying - but the fact is the patriots have taken these players and used them to outperform the Steelers more often than not over the last 5 years.

I look forward to seeing how the Steelers deal with the inflated perceptions of self-worth of their players should they be successful again anytime soon.

Of course, we shouldnt count our chickens before they hatch - the Steelers are a long, long way from repeating a SB win, let alone repeating the feats of this current Patriots dynasty.

NM

Vrabel suffered from a numbers game...too many great LB's in Pittsburgh

Poteat has been no better for you than he was for us

tony hipchest
08-17-2006, 09:09 PM

NMso you agree with my post when i said simple rule is is that if theyre not acquired directly from the steelers theyre not gonna help much. thanks for confirming my point although it didnt need confirmation.

thanks for addressing all the non steelers balcocheck has brought in in the past 2 years who have proven to be as big of contributers as posted. great job of dodging the initial and main point and using deflectionary tacticts of desperately trying to twist my words. that is more suprising than you mentionning someones "smugness" :busted:

Livinginthe past
08-17-2006, 09:12 PM
so you agree with my post when i said simple rule is is that if theyre not acquired directly from the steelers theyre not gonna help much. thanks for confirming my point although it didnt need confirmation.

thanks for addressing all the non steelers balcocheck has brought in in the past 2 years who have proven to be as big of contributers as posted. great job of dodging the initial and main point and using deflectionary tacticts of desperately trying to twist my words. that is more suprising than you mentionning someones "smugness" :busted:

The Patriots take Steelers cast-offs and turn them into world beaters.

Message received loud and clear.

NM

BlackNGold203
08-17-2006, 09:16 PM

NM

Please...PLEASE...explain to me how Hank Poteat is a world beater???

Livinginthe past
08-17-2006, 09:31 PM

Well 203..it goes a little something like this....

Every year 32 football teams compete to be the World Champions - when the best team is decided through a gruelling 16 game schedule plus playoffs each member of the team is given a piece SB memorabilia.

This commemorates the fact that this player was part of a team that proved themselves to be the best in the world at American Football (kind of a closed shop I know!) - Hank Poteat has played and proved victorious with just such a team - the New England Patriots.

Therefore Hank Poteat is a world beater.

NM

BlackNGold203
08-17-2006, 09:39 PM
Well 203..it goes a little something like this....

Every year 32 football teams compete to be the World Champions - when the best team is decided through a gruelling 16 game schedule plus playoffs each member of the team is given a piece SB memorabilia.

This commemorates the fact that this player was part of a team that proved themselves to be the best in the world at American Football (kind of a closed shop I know!) - Hank Poteat has played and proved victorious with just such a team - the New England Patriots.

Therefore Hank Poteat is a world beater.

NM

the contexts of your posts were that NE took marginal players from us and made them superior players...when in fact..in Poteat's case...you took a poor player...threw him on your roster...and he went along for the ride...never a better player than he was

Livinginthe past
08-17-2006, 09:44 PM
the contexts of your posts were that NE took marginal players from us and made them superior players...when in fact..in Poteat's case...you took a poor player...threw him on your roster...and he went along for the ride...never a better player than he was

Well thats your opinion of course.

My opinion is that he was a great role player (or roll player as Tony might say) at nickel back for us - not massively talented in coverage but as sure a tackler as we have in the DB corps.

He must have been a decent player to be a part of the World Champs squad.

NM

tony hipchest
08-17-2006, 09:45 PM

NM

pure deflection.

remember when you said this:
im sure BB knows what he is doing.

and i said this:as proven by the signings of d. starks d. terrell and c. brown right? and the player acquired via trade with the saints?

maybe a sn change is in order. i propose livinginthe past changed to livinginde nial

tony hipchest
08-17-2006, 09:50 PM
(or roll player as Tony might say)

NM

:busted: spelling police alert!!!!:busted:

it only took bengalbrian and his dad private dansr a few days to resort to that tactic. im suprised you could hold out for almost a year! i knew i would have you correcting my grammar, typing, or spelling sooner or later. its typical amongst those who deflect rather than confront and engage.

Ambridge
08-17-2006, 09:54 PM

You could include Chad Scott as well.

Livinginthe past
08-17-2006, 09:55 PM
:busted: spelling police alert!!!!:busted:

it only took bengalbrian and his dad private dansr a few days to resort to that tactic. im suprised you could hold out for almost a year! i knew i would have you correcting my grammar, typing, or spelling sooner or later. its typical amongst those who deflect rather than confront and engage.

Confront and engage is what Tony Hapless does best.

'BB farts on his kickers foot' - a classic example of Tony engaging and confronting?

Apparently so.

Im not doing it to score points - an adult should know the difference between 'role' and 'roll - I know they sound the same but it could save you a little embarrasment further down the line.

No charge. :cool:

NM

Haiku_Dirtt
08-17-2006, 09:58 PM
Since this is the present and not the past I'm recalling what Willie McGinest just said when he blasted the pats. I'm smelling the smoke.

Bringing in Seau is even a smaller addition than Brown. I like Junior but if you need him then perhaps the cracks are getting wider in the foundation. :crutches:

Trivia: Seau was succeeded by McGinest at SC in 1990 and both wore 55.

Livinginthe past
08-17-2006, 10:05 PM
Since this is the present and not the past I'm recalling what Willie McGinest just said when he blasted the pats. I'm smelling the smoke.

Bringing in Seau is even a smaller addition than Brown. I like Junior but if you need him then perhaps the cracks are getting wider in the foundation. :crutches:

Trivia: Seau was succeeded by McGinest at SC in 1990 and both wore 55.

Who knows?

Only this season will tell us.

Then again, even if they perform well maybe some people will just cry about how weak the Patriots schedule is?

You never can tell how some people are going to react.

NM

tony hipchest
08-17-2006, 10:18 PM
Confront and engage is what Tony Hapless does best.

'BB farts on his kickers foot' - a classic example of Tony engaging and confronting?

Apparently so.

Im not doing it to score points - an adult should know the difference between 'role' and 'roll - I know they sound the same but it could save you a little embarrasment further down the line.

No charge. :cool:

NMyoure not doing what to score points?

you mean like an adult would know the difference between Parcells and parcels?

keep spell checking my posts, officer. that saves me the trouble and im flattered you care so much and have gone the extra to prove yourself more knowledgable and superior. (as you focus on the spelling yet ignore the obvious points)

:dollar:

(i think bill balcocheck farted on litp's face 1 time too many- he thinks they smell like roses) :toofunny:

Livinginthe past
08-17-2006, 10:26 PM
youre not doing what to score points?

you mean like an adult would know the difference between Parcells and parcels?

keep spell checking my posts, officer. that saves me the trouble and im flattered you care so much and have gone the extra to prove yourself more knowledgable and superior. (as you focus on the spelling yet ignore the obvious points)

:dollar:

(i think bill balcocheck farted on litp's face 1 time too many- he thinks they smell like roses) :toofunny:

Im not highlighting every spelling mistake you make Tony, ill try and break you into literacy nice and easy.

Otherwise, id be forced to out that you dont know how to spell ridiculous either - which is kinda ironic considering the overall quality of your posts :smile:

Its actually no trouble at all anyway, I tend to notice these things right off the bat when I read.

The Parcels jibe was just a gentle nudge and nothing more - more of a typing error than an actual spelling mistake so I let you off.

Im pretty sure you know how to spell Parcells correctly - he was about in the 80's (an era you seem extremely fond of).

Its all in good fun Tony, if you've learnt a thing or two at the end of the day then we should just consider it a bonus.

NM

tony hipchest
08-17-2006, 10:33 PM
Im not highlighting every spelling mistake you make Tony, ill try and break you into literacy nice and easy.

Otherwise, id be forced to out that you dont know how to spell ridiculous either - which is kinda ironic considering the overall quality of your posts :smile:

Its actually no trouble at all anyway, I tend to notice these things right off the bat when I read.

The Parcels jibe was just a gentle nudge and nothing more - more of a typing error than an actual spelling mistake so I let you off.

Im pretty sure you know how to spell Parcells correctly - he was about in the 80's (an era you seem extremely fond of).

Its all in good fun Tony, if you've learnt a thing or two at the end of the day then we should just consider it a bonus.

NMwow. this post is so full of gramattical, topical, and spelling errors i dont know what to do.

anyways someone who dont know propper english enuff to spell realize with a z is about as annoying as john clayton pronouncing negotiate as 'ne go see ate' :sofunny:

Livinginthe past
08-17-2006, 10:39 PM
wow. this post is so full of gramattical, topical, and spelling errors i dont know what to do.

anyways someone who dont know propper english enuff to spell realize with a z is about as annoying as john clayton pronouncing negotiate as 'ne go see ate' :sofunny:

Im afraid we aren't accepting applications for the grammar poilice at this time - and no amount of pretending that the word 'realize' featured in my last post will change that fact.

Its called English for a reason Tony.

NM

tony hipchest
08-17-2006, 10:50 PM
Im afraid we aren't accepting applications for the grammar poilice at this time - and no amount of pretending that the word 'realize' featured in my last post will change that fact.

Its called English for a reason Tony.

NMjust realize that it was a simple play on the fact that american english has replaced the letter s with the letter z in many words.

anyways ever since i have shown belichicks recent guffaws with desperation f.a. signings, this thread has been taken way off topic to the point of possibly being hijacked like 10 jets leaving from england. i digress :sofunny:

in keeping it football related i say the ball is in your court, like wimbledon (can you tell me if its spelled wimbledon or wimbeldon via pm please?)

j/k, the 1st spelling is correct.

hardwork
08-17-2006, 11:50 PM
This isn't quite as funny as the Brady/steroid thread, but it's close.

Bruschi isn't the only LBer who's banged up at the moment. I'll let you figure out who the others are. Watching you Steeler fans stumble around in the dark is the reason I come here.

(Brady on steroids, lol, jesus keyrist)

tony hipchest
08-18-2006, 12:10 AM
This isn't quite as funny as the Brady/steroid thread, but it's close.

Bruschi isn't the only LBer who's banged up at the moment. I'll let you figure out who the others are. Watching you Steeler fans stumble around in the dark is the reason I come here.

(Brady on steroids, lol, jesus keyrist)the reason you come here is because sometimes people will actually respond to your posts. if you go to a patriots board you will suffer a bunch of 18-20somethings calling YOU a bandwaggoner who arent sure what they are talking about and that has to be 10 X worse than dealing with intelligent steelerfans you encounter here on a regular basis.

i will even say that you , litp, 32b4 are the smartest patriot posters in existance. no coincidence you post here rather than the alternative.

you are ruling out the possibility of your wonderkid ever doing roids huh? i hear he is a workout freak. unfortunately you can only be a work out freak for so long, with no results before you seek out alternative means. sometin=mes genetics dictate that you arent supposed to be as big or strong as you wanna be no matter how hard you work out in the gym.

but alas, this thread is about signing another overaged, retired hope. a grasping at straws if you will. if you wish to discuss the brady on roids issue, feel free to bring it up in the proper forum. (for those looking beyond a 1st grade education, that would be in the balco brady thread.)

Livinginthe past
08-18-2006, 12:22 AM
the reason you come here is because sometimes people will actually respond to your posts. if you go to a patriots board you will suffer a bunch of 18-20somethings calling YOU a bandwaggoner who arent sure what they are talking about and that has to be 10 X worse than dealing with intelligent steelerfans you encounter here on a regular basis.

i will even say that you , litp, 32b4 are the smartest patriot posters in existance. no coincidence you post here rather than the alternative.

you are ruling out the possibility of your wonderkid ever doing roids huh? i hear he is a workout freak. unfortunately you can only be a work out freak for so long, with no results before you seek out alternative means. sometin=mes genetics dictate that you arent supposed to be as big or strong as you wanna be no matter how hard you work out in the gym.

but alas, this thread is about signing another overaged, retired hope. a grasping at straws if you will. if you wish to discuss the brady on roids issue, feel free to bring it up in the proper forum. (for those looking beyond a 1st grade education, that would be in the balco brady thread.)

We dont have an dedicated thread for the subject, so ill go ahead and ask my question here.

How do you know what its like on Patriots boards?

Have you spent any great deal of time on one that we dont know about?

I was sure you were one of the guys who stated they didnt need to post on or view other teams forums.

NM

Petesburgh66
08-18-2006, 12:35 AM
Bruschi isn't the only LBer who's banged up at the moment. I'll let you figure out who the others are.

The backup junk called Brown and Beisel are injuired. So your going to replace them with Seau, who has been injuiry proned and cleary lost a step. Man, that sounds like a plan :rolleyes:

tony hipchest
08-18-2006, 12:35 AM
We dont have an dedicated thread for the subject, so ill go ahead and ask my question here.

How do you know what its like on Patriots boards?

Have you spent any great deal of time on one that we dont know about?

I was sure you were one of the guys who stated they didnt need to post on or view other teams forums.

NMalthough you being sure about something doesnt mean too much, i have browsed but not joined 2 patriot forums and been a member of 2 other "all team" forums where patriot fans were the majority (no suprise there).

with that being said, i definitely dont need to post on or view their forums. you and hardwork are one of many who are all in the same. and all the rest are ignorant 18-24 year old red sox fans that 32b4 has so eloquently described.

hardwork
08-18-2006, 01:28 AM
Posting with Tony is like being WC Fields and having a piece of paper stuck to your shoe while trying to tee off. You just can't shake him no matter what you do.

Cape Cod Steel Head
08-18-2006, 07:28 AM
Posting with Tony is like being WC Fields and having a piece of paper stuck to your shoe while trying to tee off. You just can't shake him no matter what you do.Unlike the Pats secondary!:bouncy:

X-Terminator
08-18-2006, 09:32 AM
The backup junk called Brown and Beisel are injuired. So your going to replace them with Seau, who has been injuiry proned and cleary lost a step. Man, that sounds like a plan :rolleyes:

They should have just found a way to keep Willie McGinest, and they wouldn't have been in such dire straits that they have to sign Seau...but them's the breaks.

Livinginthe past
08-18-2006, 02:19 PM
although you being sure about something doesnt mean too much, i have browsed but not joined 2 patriot forums and been a member of 2 other "all team" forums where patriot fans were the majority (no suprise there).

with that being said, i definitely dont need to post on or view their forums. you and hardwork are one of many who are all in the same. and all the rest are ignorant 18-24 year old red sox fans that 32b4 has so eloquently described.

So, you have joined 4 football forums for 'browsing' purposes where Patriots fans are in the majority - but you dont need to view them?

How does one browse without viewing Tony?

Me and hardwork are one of many who are all in the same.....what?

Bandwagoners come with success - which I guess is pretty obvious to a guy who's fellow fan base members stretch all the way across the States - most of them ignoring their home town or closest team - where their loyalties should lay - instead of following the Steelers.

NM

Livinginthe past
08-18-2006, 02:20 PM
They should have just found a way to keep Willie McGinest, and they wouldn't have been in such dire straits that they have to sign Seau...but them's the breaks.

The monetary and salary cap cost of the two players would be massively different.

We let McG go because he was costing us too much money for an old guy - same as Adam V.

NM

tony hipchest
08-18-2006, 02:50 PM
So, you have joined 4 football forums for 'browsing' purposes where Patriots fans are in the majority - but you dont need to view them?

How does one browse without viewing Tony?

NM

reading comprehension fails you again:

i have browsed but not joined 2 patriot forums and been a member of 2 other "all team" forums where patriot fans were the majority (no suprise there).

so anyways thats how i know what its like on patriot boards. note the past tense in the above quote. it will help you understand. i no longer view, or browse their boards. i dont need too. been there, done that. it is the same old rhetoric and diatribe i can find right here on my home board. capiche?

you were one of the guys who stated they didnt need to post on or view other teams forums.

so what was your point again?

hardwork
08-18-2006, 03:01 PM
I think those who are implying we might have a slight problem at LBer and in the DBfield might have a bit of a point.

Livinginthe past
08-18-2006, 04:57 PM
reading comprehension fails you again:

so anyways thats how i know what its like on patriot boards. note the past tense in the above quote. it will help you understand. i no longer view, or browse their boards. i dont need too. been there, done that. it is the same old rhetoric and diatribe i can find right here on my home board. capiche?

so what was your point again?

Oh now I see.

So Patriots boards are pretty much the same as Steelers boards.

Glad we cleared that up.

NM

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
08-18-2006, 05:10 PM
i think it was that he joined 2 not 4...I dunno

83-Steelers-43
08-18-2006, 05:40 PM
Seau ends four-day retirement, agrees with Pats
Associated Press

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- The New England Patriots and Junior Seau agreed to a contract Friday, ending his brief retirement.

The team did not disclose terms of the deal.

he 12-time Pro Bowl linebacker retired Monday after the Miami Dolphins cut him after three unremarkable seasons.

At a news conference announcing his decision, Seau, 37, said he still could play.

On Thursday, officials for the San Diego Chargers, his long-time team, confirmed Seau left a message for team president Dean Spanos alerting him he might sign with New England.

The Patriots needed another linebacker because Tedy Bruschi has a broken hand and Willie McGinest, a mainstay of their three Super Bowl titles, signed with the Cleveland Browns as a free agent. Chad Brown and Monte Beisel also are hurt.

Seau grew up in suburban San Diego and starred at Southern California before the Chargers took him fifth overall in the 1990 draft. He led San Diego to the 1995 Super Bowl -- its only appearance in the NFL title game -- but was cut in the spring of 2003.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2553970

tony hipchest
08-18-2006, 05:45 PM
they didnt resign macginnest or vinatieri cause they were too old and on the decline. its refreshing to see them go in the other direction with seau. :busted:

tony hipchest
08-18-2006, 05:50 PM
Oh now I see.

So Patriots boards are pretty much the same as Steelers boards.

Glad we cleared that up.

NMcall it what you want. coming here for pat insight is like going to a pet store where there is only 2 parrots who talk and chirp and make cute noises and it is rather funny and entertaining. put 100 parrots in the same store and all they do is squak and it becomes quite unbearable. you can only hear "pieces of 8" and "polly wanna cracker" so many times.

im glad youre "clear" on things though :rolleyes: (obviously not)

SteelerFanInCA
08-18-2006, 06:15 PM
I wonder if Seau will be able to make it through the season without injury? Seems like he has had some bad luck with it the last few years.

hardwork
08-18-2006, 09:23 PM
I wonder if Seau will be able to make it through the season without injury? Seems like he has had some bad luck with it the last few years.

I'm not sure they want him for anything much more then a stop gap. I highly doubt they're expecting another Rodney Harrison like resurgence.

The thing with Seau is that he has something in common with other defensive players BB has brought in here. Can you Steeler fans figure that out?

BlackNGold203
08-18-2006, 09:35 PM
Patriots signing Junior Seau smacks of desperation

Time was when the New England football brain trust of coach Bill Belichick and vice president of player personnel Scott Pioli made so many crafty moves with veterans, acquiring guys everyone else in the league felt were used up but always seeming to somehow transform them into resourceful role players, that even the harshest skeptics stopped questioning maneuvers that appeared dubious at first glance.

With three Super Bowl rings each in New England, the NFL's best coach-scout tandem might have raised some eyebrows with their tactics, but the players they enlisted almost always raised the level of their team.

Deliver those kinds of results, of course, and the statute of limitations on genius keeps getting extended.

But with the measures taken the past two years to spackle a depleted linebacker corps, and certainly with Friday afternoon's addition of recently retired Junior Seau, the Patriots are no longer beyond the kind of questioning that less successful franchises would face had they made a similar move.

It isn't the first time New England has signed a veteran player no one else wanted, and it might not be the last. The addition of Seau, though, smacks of desperation.

And when one considers how the additions New England made last year at linebacker blew up in the Patriots' faces, it compounds the skepticism attached to the signing of Seau and begs this question: Didn't these guys learn anything from the dismal failures of 2005, when they tried to take Chad Brown and Monty Beisel -- a fading former Pro Bowl performer well past his prime years and a career special-teams player, respectively -- and turn them into their latest reclamations?

Apparently not, because the Pats re-signed Brown again this spring, added journeyman Barry Gardner and now have plucked Seau out of his four-day retirement.

Maybe the Patriots' football people still know more than the rest of us. Lord knows, anyone who has read stories that include the byline that appears above knows the respect and reverence in which Belichick is held by yours truly. But sometimes, as was the case with the Brown and Beisel signings a year ago, the rest of the league really is correct in its collective assessment of the players' abilities.

At some point, no matter how insightful the analysis, the attempt at extreme makeover simply comes out like a botched plastic surgery. Usually, people with the Midas touch can still turn garbage into gold. But sometimes, the magic runs out, and things touched by Midas just turn into mufflers.

The guess here is that the Patriots, no matter how they use their newest linebacker acquisition, won't be able to magically fashion a silk purse from this Seau's ear.

Why not? Because the future Hall of Fame defender who earlier this week announced his retirement probably should have exited the game two or three seasons ago.

Remember when media types insisted the 12-time Pro Bowl player had one of the NFL's most appropriate surnames, because it was pronounced "Say-ow!" Well, the past couple of seasons, Junior was the one who was saying ouch, not the one delivering blows that moved ball carriers to tears. In his first 14 seasons, Seau missed just nine games because of injuries. In 2004 and 2005, he sat out 16 games total, first with a torn pectoral muscle, then with Achilles and calf injuries.

But even before his body began to betray him, Seau, one of the greatest defensive freelancers the league has ever seen and a player so athletically gifted he could turn his mistakes and missteps into big plays, was a linebacker in decline.

Seau, 37, hasn't played a full, 16-game schedule since 2001. The former San Diego Chargers star hasn't posted a 100-tackle campaign since 2000. In this millennium, Seau has authored only 20 plays that would be termed game-altering events: 11 sacks, four interceptions, four forced fumbles, one fumble recovery. That's one big play for every 3.75 games in which Seau has appeared since 2000.

The Miami Dolphins traded for Seau in 2003 because they valued his leadership. But it's hard to lead from the trainer's room, and when you can't make plays, because of infirmities or the inadequacies that usually accompany the ungraceful realities of the aging process, no one pays attention to you anymore. And so Junior Seau, once The Man among NFL linebackers, had become just another guy.

Word from New England is that the Patriots will use Seau at inside linebacker, to stop the run while Tedy Bruschi rehabilitates from his broken wrist, and perhaps beyond that. If nothing else, his presence might mean the Patriots won't have to keep moving wondrously opportunistic Mike Vrabel inside. But at this point in Seau's career, not even minimizing his playing time by limiting him to being on the field for first and second downs is likely to maximize his effectiveness.

Earlier in the week, when Seau announced his retirement, Belichick was asked about his legacy, and the Pats' boss spoke graciously of having coached the linebacker in the 1998 Pro Bowl game. Here's hoping those memories are fond ones because the Seau that Belichick is getting now isn't anything like the one he had in Hawaii nearly eight years ago.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com

hardwork
08-18-2006, 09:54 PM
Get a clue Pasquarelli. Seau played for Saban. That means he doesn't have to come in here and learn a very complicated defense in just a few weeks. He'll already have the basics down. Further, as I said before, they aren't expecting another Rodney Harrison act. Seau is a stop gap. Even further, did our defense cost us the Denver game last year? No bleeping way. Our offence cost us that game.