PDA

View Full Version : Niners CB says openly gay players would not be welcomed on the team

Vis
01-30-2013, 06:20 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--report--niners-cb-says-openly-gay-players-would-not-be-welcomed-on-the-team-190346715.html

NEW ORLEANS – San Francisco 49ers cornerback Chris Culliver has made inflammatory comments regarding homosexuality in football just a few days before Super Bowl XLVII.
Shock jock Artie Lange revealed he had interviewed Culliver at media day Tuesday and aired a segment on his show that night, where the player insisted that any gay players would not be welcome on the team.
"I don't do the gay guys man," said Culliver, whose Niners play the Baltimore Ravens on Sunday. "I don't do that. No, we don't got no gay people on the team, they gotta get up out of here if they do.
"Can't be with that sweet stuff. Nah…can't be…in the locker room man. Nah."
When quizzed by Lange whether any homosexual athletes would need to keep their sexuality a secret in football, Culliver responded: "Yeah, come out 10 years later after that."

Scored a 9 on the Wonderlic. Go figure. I'm ashamed he's from my alma mater.

Vis
01-30-2013, 06:21 PM
49ers “reject the comments” made by Chris Culliver

Posted by Josh Alper on January 30, 2013, 6:19 PM EST

AP
The extra cameras and microphones about during Super Bowl week always seem to turn up unexpected stories and this year is no exception.

49ers cornerback Chris Culliver’s become an unlikely focus of attention on Wednesday thanks to comments he made on a radio show Tuesday. Culliver said that he would not welcome a gay teammate and said he thought players who were gay should wait until long after they’re retired before revealing that part of themselves. There’s been a quick condemnation of Culliver’s insensitive and homophobic remarks from many corners, including Culliver’s employers.

The 49ers released a statement Wednesday afternoon that was much more in line with the 49ers’ past support for anti-bullying campaigns directed at lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender youth.

“The San Francisco 49ers reject the comments that were made yesterday, and have addressed the matter with Chris. There is no place for discrimination within our organization at any level. We have and always will proudly support the LGBT community.”

The normal cycle of these things calls for an apology from Culliver. We’d expect to hear one on Thursday at the latest. The condemnation from the 49ers and so many others mean more for making sure the NFL is inclusive of all people, though.

mikegrimey
01-30-2013, 06:44 PM
Of course I find his mentality disgusting and retrograde, but i'm not really that surprised. Fortunately, viewpoints like his will diminishih with time, and it's comforting to know that people like this are on the losing side of history.

GMU Steeler
01-30-2013, 06:50 PM
Don't know why people feel so threatened by openly gay people. Culliver acts as if every gay male is the same. I've had some gay friends who I wouldn't know they were gay unless they told me. Really is no big deal to me. I'll echo what Charles Barkley said about having an openly gay teammate, can he play?

SteelersCanada
01-30-2013, 07:12 PM
As disturbing as what he said was, I'm glad he's not just echoing what the media wants to hear. He has his own opinions - however inconsiderate or ignorant they might be - and he's sharing them. Quite frankly, I don't know why any of the media is asking questions like this in the first place. Thanks, Ayanbadejo for bringing this issue to the Super Bowl. He opened up a can of worms and allowed this type of questioning to be brought up.

How about during the Super Bowl, the media only asks players about, jeez I don't know, football related matters. Is that too much to ask?

Edman
01-30-2013, 07:26 PM
Oh no, he doesn't like gay people! What a vile monster! You can't be anything but acceptable about gay people! You must only positive about Gays. You cannot be negative. You must ONLY be accepting and approving of LGBT. This hypocritical whiny self-indulgent attitude is ridiculous and needs to stop. The moment someone says "I don't like you", you want to hang them. He doesn't have to like Gays.

I don't think he worded it properly, but he has a right to his words. If you want to hold accountable to his words, that's fine. But I'm not going to hang the guy for stating his honest truth. Does he have a right to speak for the team? No. But he shouldn't hide what he really thinks if he's asked a question. If he doesn't swing that way, then that's who he is. Acceptance goes both ways. If a man wants the ****, then that's his perogative. Culliver shouldn't have to pretend that he likes it.

Unless this Culliver fellow is taking a gay person and beating him to death for being gay, he isn't doing anything wrong by being honest with himself and others. By all means feel "ashamed" and feel "disgusted" and "indignified" by someone telling the truth. It proves that we lack a spine.

Vis
01-30-2013, 07:32 PM
Oh no, he doesn't like gay people! What a vile monster! You can't be anything but acceptable about gay people! You must only positive about Gays. You cannot be negative. You must ONLY be accepting and approving of LGBT. This hypocritical whiny self-indulgent attitude is ridiculous and needs to stop. The moment someone says "I don't like you", you want to hang them. He doesn't have to like Gays.

I don't think he worded it properly, but he has a right to his words. If you want to hold accountable to his words, that's fine. But I'm not going to hang the guy for stating his honest truth. Does he have a right to speak for the team? No. But he shouldn't hide what he really thinks if he's asked a question. If he doesn't swing that way, then that's who he is. Acceptance goes both ways.

Unless this Culliver fellow is taking a gay person and beating him to death for being gay, he isn't doing anything wrong by being honest with himself and others. By all means feel "ashamed" and feel "disgusted" and "indignified" by someone telling the truth. It proves that we lack a spine.

I have the right to my words too. Bigotry is ugly in SF with Culliver and here with anyone who feels the same way. Yes every bigot has the right to be a bigot but the rest of us have the right to call them on it loudly. He didn't say he would never be gay, he said no gays would be welcome on the team. He wants them excluded. Fuck him and those who agree with him.

Atlanta Dan
01-30-2013, 07:49 PM
No, we don't got no gay people on the team, they gotta get up out of here if they do.

Doubtful - the 49ers certainly did in recent years:coffee:

Former San Francisco 49er Kwame Harris has been charged with felony domestic violence and assault charges from an August beating involving a former boyfriend, a prosecutor and defense lawyer said....

The charges stem from an altercation outside a Menlo Park restaurant between Harris, 30, and Dimitri Geier, who suffered several facial fractures that required surgery, Serrato said. Geier reportedly has filed a civil suit against Harris for assault, battery, false imprisonment, negligence and both intentional and negligent infliction of emotional distress.

According to a report by the San Mateo Daily Journal, Harris and Geier had been involved in a romantic relationship but were just friends when they met at Su Hong restaurant. Harris, who intended to drive Geier to San Francisco International Airport, became upset when Geier poured soy sauce on a plate of rice, according to the civil suit.

The men argued, the suit states, and Harris decided not to take Geier to the airport. As the men left, Harris reportedly tried to pull Geier's pants down and accused him of stealing his underwear.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/kwame-harris-former-player-assault-charges-ex-boyfriend-soy-sauce-underwear-012813

Edman
01-30-2013, 07:52 PM
I have the right to my words too. Bigotry is ugly in SF with Culliver and here with anyone who feels the same way. Yes every bigot has the right to be a bigot but the rest of us have the right to call them on it loudly. He didn't say he would never be gay, he said no gays would be welcome on the team. He wants them excluded. Fuck him and those who agree with him.

That's fine. Call him out on his views. You have a right to do that, just like he has a right to speak out against Gays.

However, no one should be excluded from the team. Like I said, this is where Culliver went wrong. He can speak up for himself, but he cannot speak up for the organization.

Vis
01-30-2013, 07:54 PM
That's fine. Call him out on his views. You have a right to do that, just like he has a right to speak out against Gays.

However, no one should be excluded from the team. Like I said, this is where Culliver went wrong. He can speak up for himself, but he cannot speak up for the organization.

There's a kind of notion that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! A bloke who's been a professor of dentistry for 40 years doesn't have a debate with some idiot who removes his teeth with string and a door!
—Dara O'Briain

Atlanta Dan
01-30-2013, 07:56 PM

It's employment at will - if your private employer is taking a greater hit from your conduct than you are delivering to the bottom line then you are gone (same reason the Steelers said bye bye to Rainey but kept Harrison and Roethlisberger)

That DB has a right to say what he wants and the 49ers have a right to get rid of him

Edman
01-30-2013, 08:07 PM
There's a kind of notion that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! A bloke who's been a professor of dentistry for 40 years doesn't have a debate with some idiot who removes his teeth with string and a door!
—Dara O'Briain

So which is it? You can't play the "I have a right" card then come back and play this.

Tell you what. I'll just say that you are wrong and leave it at that.

Edman
01-30-2013, 08:08 PM
It's employment at will - if your private employer is taking a greater hit from your conduct than you are delivering to the bottom line then you are gone (same reason the Steelers said bye bye to Rainey but kept Harrison and Roethlisberger)

That DB has a right to say what he wants and the 49ers have a right to get rid of him

The "business" notion is not what I'm worried about. That's the Niners' business.

I'm just not going to hang the guy for what he said.

Vis
01-30-2013, 08:12 PM
Maybe the team can educate him. Instead of validating ignorance, overcome it.

Edman
01-30-2013, 08:15 PM
Maybe the team can educate him. Instead of validating ignorance, overcome it.

Cutting him is only good for the Niners' bottom line and avoiding PR trouble, not overcoming bigotry.

Vis
01-30-2013, 08:22 PM
Cutting him is only good for the Niners' bottom line and avoiding PR trouble, not overcoming bigotry.

Who said to cut him? Make him stay in San Francisco. Travel the city. See the sights.

tony hipchest
01-30-2013, 08:32 PM
Who said to cut him? Make him stay in San Francisco. Travel the city. See the sights.

:sofunny::applaudit:

mikegrimey
01-30-2013, 08:33 PM

I don't think he worded it properly, but he has a right to his words. If you want to hold accountable to his words, that's fine. But I'm not going to hang the guy for stating his honest truth. Does he have a right to speak for the team? No. But he shouldn't hide what he really thinks if he's asked a question. If he doesn't swing that way, then that's who he is. Acceptance goes both ways. If a man wants the ****, then that's his perogative. Culliver shouldn't have to pretend that he likes it.

You're all over the place here and never make a relevant point! Who said anything about hanging Culliver?
You claim people who are ashamed of his discourse lack a spine, but how so? Being embarrassed by stupid opinions is nothing spineless. If you went on tv advocating creationism I'd be ashamed for you.

Again, I'm not entirely sure what you're point is, except that Culliver has a right to voice his viewpoint, which nobody was contesting.

mikegrimey
01-30-2013, 08:36 PM
So which is it? You can't play the "I have a right" card then come back and play this.

Tell you what. I'll just say that you are wrong and leave it at that.

Since u didn't understand it before what he said was everyone had a right to voice their "opinion" but that doesn't make them equally respectable. A pretty simple truth

Lady Steel
01-31-2013, 12:13 AM
Harris reportedly tried to pull Geier's pants down and accused him of stealing his underwear.

I don't care who you are, gay/straight/whatev, that there is funny. :laughing:

Quackjack
01-31-2013, 04:39 AM

Right, and he had said "we don't want to no crackas on our team" I bet you'd have blown your top. What a joke.

Anyways, glad the 49ers are handling his stupid remarks well.

WVABE
01-31-2013, 05:37 AM
A friend of mine was a chef in Philly back in the early 80's and one of his cooks was an X Pittsburgh Steeler,
(can't remember the name) but his nick-name in the restaurant was "the African queen". Says he came out of the closet only after he was released and not signed by another team.
Believe he was only a 2 year player but none-the-less he was gay.
I believe they're better off keeping it to themselves, I mean do you really want to be tackled by a player that really enjoys tackling men or be in the shower with them.
Don't ask don't tell, everyone is happy then.

Vis
01-31-2013, 06:32 AM
A friend of mine was a chef in Philly back in the early 80's and one of his cooks was an X Pittsburgh Steeler,
(can't remember the name) but his nick-name in the restaurant was "the African queen". Says he came out of the closet only after he was released and not signed by another team.
Believe he was only a 2 year player but none-the-less he was gay.
I believe they're better off keeping it to themselves, I mean do you really want to be tackled by a player that really enjoys tackling men or be in the shower with them.
Don't ask don't tell, everyone is happy then.

You had me til the end.

Gay players should be able to have their partners around as freely as straight players do and the people who love the player should be able to support him in the stands, etc...just as those who love any player supports them.

Vis
01-31-2013, 06:44 AM
Chris Culliver apologizes for derogatory comments

1/30/2013 7:34:32 PM
Share on email Share on print Share on twitter Share on facebook Share on myspace Share on stumbleupon Share on digg | More Sharing ServicesMore

San Francisco 49ers cornerback Chris Culliver released the following statement:

"The derogatory comments I made yesterday were a reflection of thoughts in my head, but they are not how I feel. It has taken me seeing them in print to realize that they are hurtful and ugly. Those discriminating feelings are truly not in my heart. Further, I apologize to those who I have hurt and offended, and I pledge to learn and grow from this experience.”

Shock jock Artie Lange interviewed Culliver during Media Day on Tuesday and asked him about gay players.

"I don't do the gay guys, man," said Culliver. "I don't do that. No, we don't got no gay people on the team, they gotta get up out of here if they do. Can't be with that sweet stuff. Nah...can't be...in the locker room man. Nah."

http://theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/32561/Chris-Culliver-apologizes-for-derogatory-comments/Default.aspx

harrison'samonster
01-31-2013, 08:06 AM
You had me til the end.

Gay players should be able to have their partners around as freely as straight players do and the people who love the player should be able to support him in the stands, etc...just as those who love any player supports them.

I don't think a person should have to hide who they are to make insecure ppl feel comfortable. Do you know what that does to a person, to have to pretend they're somebody else in order to be accepted

Edit: Sorry, must have quoted the wrong post. I meant to use the post right before it.

lloydwoodson
01-31-2013, 05:19 PM
3AGVHeldoD8

Everything gets blown out of proportion in the media... not just quarterbacks' comments. Players need to learn to watch what they say. Culliver will probably have to do sensitivity training or something. It is just funny since Culliver plays in the gay capital of America.

torpedoshell31
01-31-2013, 06:27 PM
The only group that is allowed to be discriminated against now is white male heterosexual christians. You can call them every name in the book and not have to worry about any ramifications. In fact, it is rewarded and encouraged.

mikegrimey
01-31-2013, 06:40 PM
Yea, what kind of names are people calling xtian a these days?

I personally love to refer to the clergy as professional liars and child abusers, but I'm not famous so that's probably why I get away with ut

Atlanta Dan
01-31-2013, 07:23 PM
The only group that is allowed to be discriminated against now is white male heterosexual christians. You can call them every name in the book and not have to worry about any ramifications. In fact, it is rewarded and encouraged.

Statistics to back that up?:coffee:

Quackjack
01-31-2013, 07:55 PM
Seems like he was just being stupid. Let it go, I don't think he's a homophobe.

Go 49ers (for now)

zcoop
01-31-2013, 09:22 PM
Seems like he was just being stupid. Let it go, I don't think he's a homophobe.

Go 49ers (for now)

What is a Homophobe? Is it simply anyone who doesn't believe in that lifestyle? I hear folks being called that all of the the time, just seeking to understand.

torpedoshell31
01-31-2013, 09:23 PM
No one seems to care what God says about homosexuality. In Lev. 18:32 He calls it detestable, I Cor 6:9 states that homosexuals will not inherit the kingdom of God. Romans 1:24-32 really unloads on them and calls it perversion. Any way I'm done with this message board there is way too many anti-christian commies on Steeler Fever for me.

harrison'samonster
01-31-2013, 09:28 PM
What is a Homophobe? Is it simply anyone who doesn't believe in that lifestyle? I hear folks being called that all of the the time, just seeking to understand.

online dictionary defines it as somebody who fears or hates homosexuals.

Atlanta Dan
01-31-2013, 09:31 PM

phobic - suffering from irrational fears

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/phobic

harrison'samonster
01-31-2013, 09:33 PM
No one seems to care what God says about homosexuality. In Lev. 18:32 He calls it detestable, I Cor 6:9 states that homosexuals will not inherit the kingdom of God. Romans 1:24-32 really unloads on them and calls it perversion. Any way I'm done with this message board there is way too many anti-christian commies on Steeler Fever for me.

hope you find your way to all the other christian anti-commies. :drink:

Atlanta Dan
01-31-2013, 09:42 PM

"Commie?" :chuckle:

Some statements in the Bible transition to the 21st century better than others

p7jOek1KhZs

If you are looking to select a football fan site that also not only supports the same team you root for but your other personal beliefs good luck

:wave:

SteelersCanada
01-31-2013, 09:44 PM

"Anti-christian commies"? You're looking in a thread about homosexuality and you didn't expect religious beliefs to be brought up? I mean, this is the only other thread I've even seen religion mentioned that wasn't in the Locker Room sub-forum so I'm not exactly sure where you're coming from. Just relax and don't look at controversial topics. Sticking to the Steelers Talk section is probably the best option man.

Anyway, this guy is probably in the majority but other players are afraid to say it. If nothing else, commend the guy for having balls and standing up for what he believes in instead of telling the media what they want to hear.

harrison'samonster
01-31-2013, 09:47 PM
Anyway, this guy is probably in the majority but other players are afraid to say it. If nothing else, commend the guy for having balls and standing up for what he believes in instead of telling the media what they want to hear.

from everything i've heard, most NFL players don't want to know if a player is gay. What this guy said though was that if a player is gay then they aren't welcome. I don't know if that is the majority.

Regardless, I would have been more impressed if he replied "No comment" and left it at that instead of using the SB media platform to push gay hate-speech.

Atlanta Dan
01-31-2013, 09:52 PM

If he had balls he would not have immediately retracted what he said - he is a young guy who probably is in no danger of winning the World's Smartest Man contest who had no clue that anything controversial is going to be a story during Super Bowl week since there is so little to talk about in the run up to the actual game

He apparently enjoys sounding off until he gets smacked down for it - in other words he is the classic definition of a bully

lloydwoodson
01-31-2013, 11:20 PM
The only reason political correctness is such a big deal anyways is so that nobody questions the Jews for their brutal regime in Israel, money laundering in America etc. The real issue with this story is the Jews controlling the media.

SteelersCanada
02-01-2013, 12:09 AM
The only reason political correctness is such a big deal anyways is so that nobody questions the Jews for their brutal regime in Israel, money laundering in America etc. The real issue with this story is the Jews controlling the media.

All of my body wants to believe you're kidding and this isn't serious.

lloydwoodson
02-01-2013, 12:24 AM
All of my body wants to believe you're kidding and this isn't serious.

You'll never know.

Quackjack
02-01-2013, 04:34 AM

Hope I can fit that bible up your ass sideways :thumbsup:

You'll never know.

Hahaha, oh Jew!

mikegrimey
02-01-2013, 06:11 AM
I have a long standing invitation to this "God" you speak of, to come to me personally and tell me their view on homosexuals, i'll ever have a coffee with them or maybe a light lunch at a cafe or something, my treat.

So far the purported creator of the universe, who's alleged to have the powers of being everywhere at once (meaning doing this would be no burden to them, and would even possibly bring them new recruits) hasn't take me up on the offer, so I'm not going to worry about what the Bible says about homosexuals and will appeal to the sense of common human dignity that I know most of us have in us.

MasterOfPuppets
02-01-2013, 03:51 PM
http://thehealthybear.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/pray-your-gay-away.jpeg

Quackjack
02-01-2013, 05:00 PM
I have a long standing invitation to this "God" you speak of, to come to me personally and tell me their view on homosexuals, i'll ever have a coffee with them or maybe a light lunch at a cafe or something, my treat.

So far the purported creator of the universe, who's alleged to have the powers of being everywhere at once (meaning doing this would be no burden to them, and would even possibly bring them new recruits) hasn't take me up on the offer, so I'm not going to worry about what the Bible says about homosexuals and will appeal to the sense of common human dignity that I know most of us have in us.

Sarcasm, an Atheist specialty :chuckle:

OX1947
02-01-2013, 08:27 PM
If Jews controlled the media, then why did they change their names to Tony Curtis and Steve Ross? Because Jews were scared to death about Germany happening again. America hated Jews just as much as everyone else. Jews can pass for white if you don't have good facial skills.

Jews run Hollywood, that's it. That's because they created Hollywood not because they were thrown into it. The day America tells Israel to EFF off, Jews might have to start prepping to get the hell out again.

Vis
02-02-2013, 02:39 AM
If Jews controlled the media, then why did they change their names to Tony Curtis and Steve Ross? Because Jews were scared to death about Germany happening again. America hated Jews just as much as everyone else. Jews can pass for white if you don't have good facial skills.

Jews run Hollywood, that's it. That's because they created Hollywood not because they were thrown into it. The day America tells Israel to EFF off, Jews might have to start prepping to get the hell out again.

Want a real shock? Here's Obama on the Holocaust as criticized in the National Review:

President Obama issued a statement yesterday to commemorate International Holocaust Remembrance Day. He noted that survivors who bore witness to “the horrors of the cattle cars, ghettos, and concentration camps have witnessed humanity at its very worst and know too well the pain of losing loved ones to senseless violence.” (We noted below how some in Europe chose to mark the day, which takes place each year on January 27, the day Soviet troops liberated Auschwitz.)

The idea that all violence is “senseless” violence is one that has taken deep root on the left; it’s also, unfortunately, one that poses a major impediment to understanding the world.

Nazism may have been an ideology to which the United States was — and to which the president is — implacably opposed, but it is hardly “senseless.” By the early 1930s, the Nazi party had hundreds of thousands of devoted members and repeatedly attracted a third of the votes in German elections; its political leaders campaigned on a platform comprising 25 non-senseless points, including the “unification of all Germans,” a demand for “land and territory for the sustenance of our people,” and an assertion that “no Jew can be a member of the race.” Suffice it to say, many sensible Germans were persuaded.

So, because there was organization behind the murder of six million Jews, it made sense? Or is it because it made sense to some people, the Holocaust wasn’t senseless?

harrison'samonster
02-02-2013, 10:53 AM
I'm not trying to defend what Germany did to the Jews in the Holocaust, but that country was torn apart after WW1. Those people were ready to believe anything and anyone.

TRH
02-02-2013, 11:20 AM
whether you agree or disagree, he should be able to say that w/no problem. Sheez - you can't say anything any more or all of the activist-types crawl out from under their rocks.
In a non-spoken way, the fact is that its probably true. Pretty soon you won't even be able to say the word "gay". It will be known as the "G" word.

Either side should be able to speak what they think. Big deal.

harrison'samonster
02-02-2013, 11:25 AM
whether you agree or disagree, he should be able to say that w/no problem. Sheez - you can't say anything any more or all of the activist-types crawl out from under their rocks.
In a non-spoken way, the fact is that its probably true. Pretty soon you won't even be able to say the word "gay". It will be known as the "G" word.

Sure he can say anything he wants, but there's going to be consequences. He can't say whatever he wants and not expect to hear opinions from others.

I have the freedom to say any number of hateful, hurtful, or ignorant things on here. Of course the consequences I would expect from saying something like what the 9er player said is to get banned from the forum. Doesn't mean I can't say what I want.

Quackjack
02-02-2013, 12:57 PM
Goddamn it Harrison, you're beating me to it!

harrison'samonster
02-02-2013, 01:02 PM
Goddamn it Harrison, you're beating me to it!

:chuckle:
i've got too much time on my hands and it's ticking away, ticking away from me

Quackjack
02-02-2013, 01:17 PM
:chuckle:
i've got too much time on my hands and it's ticking away, ticking away from me

Oh how the offseason ticks slow.

Fire Arians
02-02-2013, 03:48 PM
i bet vernon davis is gay. don't drop the soap buddy :chuckle:

mikegrimey
02-02-2013, 06:05 PM

Once again ill ask, who ,specifically, has suggested Culliver doesn't have or shouldn't have the freedom to express his views? I didn't. Nobody else in this thread did. What shadow man are you fighting?

lloydwoodson
02-03-2013, 07:32 PM
http://i49.tinypic.com/34fisy0.jpg

Vincent
02-04-2013, 09:49 AM

And the problem with communists is they won't stand still when you fire at them.

JeromeBetties63
02-05-2013, 12:00 PM

Sentence him to bending over and picking up trash in the Castro district.

jacobo
02-05-2013, 05:22 PM
Why does this matter at all? He's a stupid kid who was forced to answer a shit load of questions on media day by reporters that were looking for a sound bite. They got it. Like it matters if he actually believes it or not. Real leaders on the team are going to make sure that mentality isn't used against any players.

harrison'samonster
02-05-2013, 06:10 PM
Why does this matter at all? He's a stupid kid who was forced to answer a shit load of questions on media day by reporters that were looking for a sound bite. They got it. Like it matters if he actually believes it or not. Real leaders on the team are going to make sure that mentality isn't used against any players.

why does it matter that a player wants others excluded just for who they are? And saying it so close to Jackie Robinson's birthday too.

How can you not see how much this matters?

jacobo
02-05-2013, 06:25 PM
why does it matter that a player wants others excluded just for who they are? And saying it so close to Jackie Robinson's birthday too.

How can you not see how much this matters?

Because he's a nobody who wasn't prepared for the situation and was speaking from the cuff. Nobody's going to care about his opinion. I read a great interview like a week ago with Wade Davis

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/01/09/wade-davis-on-nfl-players-who-live-semi-open-gay-lives.html

"He's there to do a job, I'm here to do a job, it's not talked about, he's my brother, he doesn't treat me any different than anyone else does."

Sexuality means nothing at that level of sports

harrison'samonster
02-05-2013, 06:32 PM
Because he's a nobody who wasn't prepared for the situation and was speaking from the cuff. Nobody's going to care about his opinion. I read a great interview like a week ago with Wade Davis

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/01/09/wade-davis-on-nfl-players-who-live-semi-open-gay-lives.html

"He's there to do a job, I'm here to do a job, it's not talked about, he's my brother, he doesn't treat me any different than anyone else does."

Sexuality means nothing at that level of sports

so because he doesn't have a big name and was speaking without thinking ahead, nobody care's about his opinion? That argument doesn't make sense to me. This story has been pretty big, some people obviously care about what he said.

I don't know how you can read that article you put up and think it doesn't matter that a player has said that a gay player wouldn't be welcome to him.

jacobo
02-05-2013, 06:46 PM
so because he doesn't have a big name and was speaking without thinking ahead, nobody care's about his opinion? That argument doesn't make sense to me. This story has been pretty big, some people obviously care about what he said.

I don't know how you can read that article you put up and think it doesn't matter that a player has said that a gay player wouldn't be welcome to him.

The media seemingly only covered this and the Lewis antler stuff during the entire week. Of course it's going to be big if they make it big. It really shouldn't matter

Davis said that the only reason he (speaking for gay players) don't come out to everyone (read: the media) is because they don't want to have that conversation. It's more of a social issue than football. He made it clear the players in the locker room know about his sexuality but don't care. That's all that matters at that point. Coming out to everyone would help the gay rights movement, but it doesn't matter in terms of team dynamic, and that's what this conversation's about.

The dude seems remorseful for what he said and leaders on the team are helping him get over this blunder. I don't like this story at all and think it shouldn't be getting coverage

harrison'samonster
02-05-2013, 07:11 PM
The media seemingly only covered this and the Lewis antler stuff during the entire week. Of course it's going to be big if they make it big. It really shouldn't matter

Davis said that the only reason he (speaking for gay players) don't come out to everyone (read: the media) is because they don't want to have that conversation. It's more of a social issue than football. He made it clear the players in the locker room know about his sexuality but don't care. That's all that matters at that point. Coming out to everyone would help the gay rights movement, but it doesn't matter in terms of team dynamic, and that's what this conversation's about.

The dude seems remorseful for what he said and leaders on the team are helping him get over this blunder. I don't like this story at all and think it shouldn't be getting coverage

It really shouldn't matter? Why not? The article you've brought up argues that people should be able to be accepted even if they are gay. This Culliver's come out and said that gay people wouldn't be welcome on his team, they should just get out. That doesn't help the team dynamic. The article you've brought up also brings up why it would be good for ppl to be able to be openely gay, and that this issue is about helping the gay community, not just team dynamics.

This player doesn't seem remorseful, but he's now just saying what they want him to say.

You don't like the story and don't think it should get coverage? Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it doesn't matter. It really does matter, and it's important for people to understand that what Culliver said is unacceptable. It's bigotry.

jacobo
02-05-2013, 07:22 PM
You want to talk about social issues at large? Fine, he's wrong in that regard. But this isn't about that. It's about the team. That's all this is about. That's what he said. They wouldn't be welcomed on the team. So bringing up the gay community is moot.

"Player doesn't seem remorseful", that's totally speculation. What makes what you said about him just satisfying what the front office wants to hear any more valid than me saying he was just caught up in the moment and was caught offguard with gotcha journalism?

"and it's important for people to understand that what Culliver said is unacceptable. It's bigotry" Nobody's denying he was wrong with what he said. But in the context of team dynamic (which is what this question was about), it doesn't matter. A gay player in the league who experienced it firsthand said it doesn't matter. He knows other gay players and presumably it doesn't matter for them. People on the team don't care about the type of stuff that Culliver said. Look at how Vernon Davis reacted. He wanted to help him understand why what he said was bad. That's what leaders on the teams do when stupid shit like this is said. It gets corrected without any need of media coverage. If strong leaders like him police the locker room and get rid of this way of thinking then gay players obviously are welcomed on the team.

harrison'samonster
02-05-2013, 07:29 PM
You want to talk about social issues at large? Fine, he's wrong in that regard. But this isn't about that. It's about the team. That's all this is about. That's what he said. They wouldn't be welcomed on the team. So bringing up the gay community is moot.

He's wrong in every regard. It is about the social issues too. Not just about the team dynamic. Bringing up the gay community isn't moot.

What he said is terrible and it's a big story because of it. If you don't like it, I don't know what to tell you other than help make it unacceptable for others to say similarly stupid things. That way you will be relieved of hearing about a story like this again.

jacobo
02-05-2013, 07:43 PM
Everyone else is the one making it about society lol. He was speaking in the context of the team and a gay player possibly being on the team. He didn't say they should die, or get out of the country, all he said was he didn't want a gay person on the team. People like Wade Davis and Vernon Davis made it clear that that kind of thinking doesn't exist at large, or even when it does it quickly gets taken care of. Self policing

"it's a big story because of it." There are thousands of "big" stories happening every day that never get the amount of coverage that this has gotten. Way more important than this. What's the difference between the two? It was a slow week for the biggest show in the country and ESPN and the NFL needed something to fill their schedule. It's big because they made it big. Nothing more. Wade Davis came out of the closet about a month ago and I didn't hear shit about it on their network. That dude who stabbed his boyfriend who used to be a tackle for the Raiders didn't really get any coverage either. Why did this get coverage? Superbowl week and a slow week in news. You can only talk about the Harbaughs and Ray Lewis so much.

Vis
02-05-2013, 07:49 PM
Everyone else is the one making it about society lol. He was speaking in the context of the team and a gay player possibly being on the team. He didn't say they should die, or get out of the country, all he said was he didn't want a gay person on the team. People like Wade Davis and Vernon Davis made it clear that that kind of thinking doesn't exist at large, or even when it does it quickly gets taken care of. Self policing

"it's a big story because of it." There are thousands of "big" stories happening every day that never get the amount of coverage that this has gotten. Way more important than this. What's the difference between the two? It was a slow week for the biggest show in the country and ESPN and the NFL needed something to fill their schedule. It's big because they made it big. Nothing more. Wade Davis came out of the closet about a month ago and I didn't hear shit about it on their network. That dude who stabbed his boyfriend who used to be a tackle for the Raiders didn't really get any coverage either. Why did this get coverage? Superbowl week and a slow week in news. You can only talk about the Harbaughs and Ray Lewis so much.

He was wrong about the team as the team made clear. He had no right to speak for anyone but himself. As for that, by his words he is known.

But the issue of an openly gay player on a team has been a news topic all year. Did you miss those stories? Of course this got ink.

aa14
02-05-2013, 07:52 PM

"Self policing" sexuality in any other profession is called discrimination. It's universal discrimination. Just because some myopic dweeb thinks it doesn't apply to the locker room is irrelevant.

harrison'samonster
02-05-2013, 07:59 PM
Everyone else is the one making it about society lol.

everyone else isn't "making it about society". It is a social issue.

jacobo
02-05-2013, 08:06 PM
He was wrong about the team as the team made clear. He had no right to speak for anyone but himself. As for that, by his words he is known.

But the issue of an openly gay player on a team has been a news topic all year. Did you miss those stories? Of course this got ink.

He was giving his opinion on it and made a rash comment in the face of media when he was unprepared. People need to stop crucifying this kid for some stupid shit he said. It's been corrected already. He's making it up with the LGBT by doing charity work. As a result of this more people are coming out and saying how shitty what he said was and more progress is being made within the gay community. This mentality will be less prevalent moving forward.

I didn't see anything on television about gay athletes before this and the only related thing about gay athletes I've read was the Wade Davis stuff and that Raiders tackle guy, and both of those I read online. Please link to me to what you're talking about, I'd love to hear more.

"Self policing" sexuality in any other profession is called discrimination. It's universal discrimination. Just because some myopic dweeb thinks it doesn't apply to the locker room is irrelevant.

Haha, calling me a dweeb when you completely misinterpreted what I said. That's rich. I meant that if the mentality of Culliver exists it gets corrected by a leader (vernon davis), aka they police themselves without the need of people from the outside to know anything about it

harrison'samonster
02-05-2013, 08:11 PM
He was giving his opinion on it and made a rash comment in the face of media when he was unprepared. People need to stop crucifying this kid for some stupid shit he said. It's been corrected already. He's making it up with the LGBT by doing charity work. As a result of this more people are coming out and saying how shitty what he said was and more progress is being made within the gay community. This mentality will be less prevalent moving forward.

I didn't see anything on television about gay athletes before this and the only related thing about gay athletes I've read was the Wade Davis stuff and that Raiders tackle guy, and both of those I read online. Please link to me to what you're talking about, I'd love to hear more.

Haha, calling me a dweeb when you completely misinterpreted what I said. That's rich. I meant that if the mentality of Culliver exists it gets corrected by a leader (vernon davis), aka they police themselves without the need of people from the outside to know anything about it

you know, for a person who says that this story doesn't matter, you seem to have an awful lot to say about it. Once again, he gave his opinion, which was horrible and people are going to respond to it. It's not something that exists only within the team, especially because spouted off his bigoted view on the SB media platform. I don't care if he was prepared or not, it's what he thinks.

And who's crucifying Culliver? He said a terrible thing, and people are going to let him know.

aa14
02-05-2013, 08:12 PM
I was calling Culliver the myopic dweeb, not you. I see what you meant now.

jacobo
02-05-2013, 08:13 PM
everyone else isn't "making it about society". It is a social issue.

You're looking at it through the larger perspective of gay rights as a whole. I'm looking at it from the perspective of a concentrated mentality of gays in professional environments. Let's just leave it at that.

harrison'samonster
02-05-2013, 08:17 PM
You're looking at it through the larger perspective of gay rights as a whole. I'm looking at it from the perspective of a concentrated mentality of gays in professional environments. Let's just leave it at that.

we can leave it at that...for now :chuckle:

:drink:

jacobo
02-05-2013, 08:20 PM
I was calling Culliver the myopic dweeb, not you. I see what you meant now.

Ah ok, sorry about that

@harrisonsamonster I'm saying the story shouldn't matter. It shouldn't have gotten attention. But now that it has, I'm voicing my opinion on why it shouldn't. Only reason I'm saying anything about it at all. But the more I argue the more I realize it's better that he did. It's doing more to help gay rights than anything tbh. Still don't like that the kid's was getting hung out to dry for a while there, but he should be fine.