PDA

View Full Version : Moss Talk

Vis
01-31-2013, 07:38 AM
It started with:

Randy Moss: I'm the greatest wide receiver ever

San Francisco 49ers wide receiver seemed to be in a good mood at Super Bowl media day this morning. He talked about the 49ers, his future and his legacy, Dan Hanzus of NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000132183/article/randy-moss-im-the-greatest-wide-receiver-ever) reports.

"I think now that I'm older I do think I'm the greatest receiver to ever do it," Moss said from the Superdome. "This year has been a down year for me, statistically. The year before I retired was a down year, and then in Oakland was a down year.
"I don't really live on numbers. I really live on impact and what you're able to do out on that field. I really do think that I'm the greatest receiver to ever play this game."

Then:

Jerry Rice responds to Randy Moss' claim of great receiver ever

1/30/2013 12:23:21 PM Randy Moss made some waves during media day when he said he thought he was the greatest receiver ever, Frank Schwab of Yahoo Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/jerry-rice-responds-randy-moss-claim-greatest-receiver-221953370--nfl.html) reports. Well, it turns out that Rice is in New Orleans as part of ESPN's Super Bowl coverage, and the subject was obviously brought up to Rice, who thought what most everyone else did.

"Im very surprised Randy Moss used that in those words, that hes the greatest," Rice said on ESPN's "NFL Live." "Youd never hear me say Im the greatest football player to ever play the game. I let my body of work speak for itself, and I think I was able to be very productive on the football field.

Moss said that he can't be defined by stats, but that seemed to flummox Rice as well.

"You have to look at the stats, you have to look at how you impacted the game, and its all about winning this right here, this is it, the Super Bowl, and I was fortunate to win three," said Rice, who was rightfully ranked No. 1 on the NFL Network's ranking of the top 100 players of all time in 2010. "Randy he finally has a chance to prove himself this weekend, and I wish him the best."

Followed by:

Moss: No disrespect to Rice, but I changed the game

1/30/2013 2:01:31 PM Randy Moss today said he didn't mean to disrespect Jerry Rice on Tuesday when he said he, Moss, was the best wide receiver to have played the game, Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee (http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/01/moss-no-disrespect-to-rice-but-i-changed-the-game.html) reports. But he wasn't taking back his claim, either. "It just sent shock waves throughout the whole world," Moss said of his comment. "That wasn't the intention. It really wasn't."

"There's no disrespect, man. There's no animosity, there's no tension with Jerry Rice," Moss continued. "He started the thing. He came from a smaller school than Marshall. You know what I'm saying? And I followed his whole career and I've seen the plays that he's had."

"But I'm not going to sit here and degrade this man and disrespect this man for everything he's accomplished. Because he has accomplished more than me. He has the championships. He has the numbers. But what I said yesterday as far as the impact that I'm able to make on this game of football - I believe that I did change the game of football. And I don't mean that being cocky or anything like that. I'm confident in what I'm able to do."

Vis
01-31-2013, 07:40 AM
Now Moss goes after teams:

Randy Moss says Titans blackballed him

1/31/2013 5:55:57 AM
Share on email Share on print Share on twitter Share on facebook Share on myspace Share on stumbleupon Share on digg | More Sharing ServicesMore

49ers wide receiver Randy Moss said some of the Titans coaches didn’t like him and he was “blackballed." Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean reports.

“Why they claimed me, I really don’t know,” Moss said Wednesday. “There were some things where I could really tell I really wasn’t liked, and that was coming from the coaching staff. To be able to still make plays … there were some things going on in-house that I probably won’t speak upon until I write my book.”

Moss said he had a good relationship with Jeff Fisher, who was head coach at the time. Pressed about why he was disliked and which coaches disliked him, he said: “I don’t want to get into that.”

Moss admitted, however, that his run with the Titans made him wonder if he was finished.

“Are you blackballing me because you don’t like me, or blackballing me because I can’t play? Figure out the two,” Moss said. “I don’t really know (why Titans coaches didn’t like me). There was some animosity and you could really feel the tension in the air within meeting rooms. And it had nothing to do with Coach Fisher.

“I’ll put it in ink one day and you can read about it. … I’m just happy things worked out and I am here today, getting ready to play in the Super Bowl.”

http://theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/32564/Randy-Moss-says-Titans-blackballed-him/Default.aspx

I'm sure we're all waiting on that book with giddy anticipation.

harrison'samonster
01-31-2013, 09:13 AM
never ever in this world will I consider Moss a better receiver than Rice. I don't consider him better than Ward, more talented, but not better. Dude disappears half his plays and is nothing but a cancer on any team he's on.

Never won a SB. He has a chance now, but while he's playing some small fill in role. Best reciever of all time? Not hardly.

Blacksburg Zach
01-31-2013, 09:24 AM
He could have been the best receiver of all time. He had all the physical ability in the world to become the greatest this game has ever seen. However, his laziness and otherwise poor mentality about approaching the game will prevent him from becoming the best receiver ever. Jerry Rice may have not been as physically gifted as Moss, but he had the mentality about becoming the best, and he worked exceptionally hard every day to become the best. Rice's work ethic is why he went down as the best wide receiver to ever play the game, and Moss, as good of a career he has had, will never come close to Rice's level.

kan_t
01-31-2013, 09:42 AM
Rice is the best. But Moss is definitely an all-time top 5 WR.

kan_t
01-31-2013, 09:47 AM
Btw if we are talking WR's impact and change of the game. No one comes close to Don Hutson.

silver & black
01-31-2013, 02:25 PM
Fuck Moss.

lloydwoodson
01-31-2013, 05:47 PM
"It just sent shock waves throughout the whole world," Moss said of his comment. "That wasn't the intention. It really wasn't."

:coffee:

Moss needs a therapist. Nobody in America would call Moss the best receiver of all time and nobody outside America knows who he is.

Fire Arians
01-31-2013, 06:03 PM
moss is more talented than rice was, but not at all better

torpedoshell31
01-31-2013, 07:30 PM
He could have been the best receiver of all time. He had all the physical ability in the world to become the greatest this game has ever seen. However, his laziness and otherwise poor mentality about approaching the game will prevent him from becoming the best receiver ever. Jerry Rice may have not been as physically gifted as Moss, but he had the mentality about becoming the best, and he worked exceptionally hard every day to become the best. Rice's work ethic is why he went down as the best wide receiver to ever play the game, and Moss, as good of a career he has had, will never come close to Rice's level.

Wow, you really nailed it. This is exactly right.

zcoop
01-31-2013, 07:43 PM
Moss is more talented, unfortunately he played on lesser teams. Rice's SF teams were the bomb during his playing years.Moss had bad MN and OAK teams, (NE and SF after getting old). I still believe he's top 5 though.

mikegrimey
02-01-2013, 07:06 AM
never ever in this world will I consider Moss a better receiver than Rice. I don't consider him better than Ward, more talented, but not better. Dude disappears half his plays and is nothing but a cancer on any team he's on.

Never won a SB. He has a chance now, but while he's playing some small fill in role. Best reciever of all time? Not hardly.

I don't think Moss is better than Rice, but he's WAY better than Hines Ward. I love Hines, but he's not on Moss's level.

Also, Moss is not a "cancer" on every team he's been on, you can argue he was for the Raiders but he certainly didn't hurt the Vikings or Patriots. Hell, he's been a decent role player for the 49ers this year.
As for not winning a SB, well, football is a team sport and a game where moments, a foot or an inch can have a huge impact. If the Patriots stopped Eli Manning on that last drive in 2007 he would have made a SB winning touchdown catch, capping off one of the best seasons by a WR... but he didn't, that doesn't diminish his individual accomplishments in my opinion.

harrison'samonster
02-01-2013, 08:41 AM
I don't think Moss is better than Rice, but he's WAY better than Hines Ward. I love Hines, but he's not on Moss's level.

Also, Moss is not a "cancer" on every team he's been on, you can argue he was for the Raiders but he certainly didn't hurt the Vikings or Patriots. Hell, he's been a decent role player for the 49ers this year.
As for not winning a SB, well, football is a team sport and a game where moments, a foot or an inch can have a huge impact. If the Patriots stopped Eli Manning on that last drive in 2007 he would have made a SB winning touchdown catch, capping off one of the best seasons by a WR... but he didn't, that doesn't diminish his individual accomplishments in my opinion.

I would place Ward over Moss. Moss was a quiter, and he was a quiter his entire career, hence my belief that he was a cancer on every team he played for.

I'd take the player that tries to win every game over a quiter and a cancer.

I get the opinion that Moss is better because he's more talented and you can do more with a player like that, but to me it's not worth it. Moss can have all of his stats, I'll take the guy who's going to break a linebackers jaw.

mikegrimey
02-01-2013, 07:07 PM
He only made the Vikings and Patriots better, he wasn't a cancer with them at all (first go around with Vikings) and if the question was "who is less likely to take a play off" or "who's a better team player" the answer would be Ward without hesitation, but if the question is "who's a better receiver" it'd be Moss just as quickly.

harrison'samonster
02-01-2013, 07:10 PM
He only made the Vikings and Patriots better, he wasn't a cancer with them at all (first go around with Vikings) and if the question was "who is less likely to take a play off" or "who's a better team player" the answer would be Ward without hesitation, but if the question is "who's a better receiver" it'd be Moss just as quickly.

I guess what I'm saying is between a player like Moss and one like Ward:

if my answer to the first question "who's most likely to take a play off?" is Moss, then my answer to the second question "who's the better receiver?" isn't going to be Moss.

Fire Arians
02-01-2013, 08:52 PM
waste of talent, he could have been the all-time greatest if he had half the work ethic of rice

with that said, he was possibly the most talented WR to ever play the game. him or fitzgerald, it's close

OX1947
02-01-2013, 09:33 PM
Moss is the second best wide receiver of all time. Jerry Rice is the greatest football player of all time.

Fire Arians
02-01-2013, 09:45 PM
i think fitzgerald is better, but he's never played with a good qb other than warner. no team is going to ever trade him so he's stuck until he retires like barry sanders was

Lady Steel
02-02-2013, 12:33 AM
Shut up, Moss. I don't know how some of these guys' egos can fit through the door. Yeesh.

mikegrimey
02-02-2013, 11:49 AM
I guess what I'm saying is between a player like Moss and one like Ward:

if my answer to the first question "who's most likely to take a play off?" is Moss, then my answer to the second question "who's the better receiver?" isn't going to be Moss.

I can see where you're coming from, but when it comes to being a better player I don't give A's for effort. Plays off or not, I think Moss was a far better receiver in just about every way compared to Ward.

harrison'samonster
02-02-2013, 12:39 PM
I can see where you're coming from, but when it comes to being a better player I don't give A's for effort. Plays off or not, I think Moss was a far better receiver in just about every way compared to Ward.

I definitely get where you're coming from, and I would concede that most fans would agree with you that Moss is a better reciever then Ward. When you look at what Moss produced and the plays he made, he is much better than Ward.

But when you think about what it takes to make a team go from a winning team to a team that is contending for a championship, I'd take what Ward brings to the table any day over Moss.