PDA

View Full Version : Cowher persuades porter to report to camp?

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
08-17-2006, 09:19 PM
Cowher talk persuaded Porter to report to Steelers camp

Posted: Thursday Aug 17, 2006 8:17 PM

LATROBE, Pa. (AP) -Pro Bowl linebacker Joey Porter, unhappy with his contract situation, said Thursday he considered not showing up for the Pittsburgh Steelers' training camp until a long talk with coach Bill Cowher persuaded him to report.

Porter is signed through 2007, making $4 million in salary and a roster bonus this season and $5.2 million in salary plus roster and signing bonuses next year. But he said he deserves a reworked contract after helping lead the Steelers to their Super Bowl victory last season.

"I definitely feel that I have outplayed the contract that I am under,'' Porter said Thursday night in an interview with the NFL Network. "The whole city of Pittsburgh knows what I bring, coach Cowher knows what I bring. We had a talk and it was 'I need you.' I was unhappy. There was no use me lying about it.''

Porter said Cowher reassured him that the coach will remain with the team, though Porter did not say specifically if that meant until the end of the linebacker's contract. Cowher and the Steelers broke off their contract talks this week and, while also signed through 2007, Cowher has not said if he will return next year.

"He's one of the main reasons why I'm back here at camp,'' Porter said. "Contract-wise, I wasn't too happy with the situation that we're going into. But I talked to coach Cowher and, after me and him had our words, he said he's going to be here. So he had a big impact on me being here in camp this year.''

Porter missed some of the team's voluntary workouts last spring, apparently because of his contract situation. After that, he needed arthroscopic knee surgery in May and missed the rest of the workouts.

"I didn't have to come out here and be nice to anybody, but me having a talk with coach Cowher and the relationship we have, I feel like I can suck it in, even though I'm not happy with the contract,'' Porter said. "I'll go out there for coach Cowher and play like I know how to play and just put it all in God's hands and see what happens next year.''

Porter's 2007 salary terms are not salary cap-friendly to the Steelers - he would have a cap value of $6.6 million - and it is possible they will ask him to rework the deal. Porter apparently wanted to redo the contract this year, getting some of the money this season he was due next year.

Porter, a three-time Pro Bowl linebacker and one of the NFL's best-known defensive players, seemed surprised by the questions about his contract situation and declined to discuss it further with The Associated Press following the NFL Network interview.

"That's over with it, I'm here now and it's nothing I'm going to bring up or talk about,'' he said.

Porter also said the Steelers have been unaffected by the uncertainty created by Cowher's contract situation. The Steelers and Cowher announced Tuesday they have ended their talks, though the team hopes to revive them once the season ends.

However, Cowher has purchased a $2.5 million home in Raleigh, N.C., where his wife and youngest daughter apparently plan to live this season. That has created considerable speculation that Cowher will retire and not coach next season, even though, at age 50, he would be relatively young next year by NFL coaching standards.

"The team hasn't been affected at all. Most guys talk about it - 'What do you think? Do you think he's going to be here?,' " Porter said. "Coach Cowher is here now. Until we see otherwise, we're going to go out there and fight for coach like we always do. If something happens before the end of the season then we'll know, but, right now, coach Cowher is here and we're going to play like he's here.''

tony hipchest
08-17-2006, 09:33 PM
wow! thers is so much to be said about this article. kudos to porter and to cowher.

maybe if porter is let go cowher walks???? ive always felt that cowhers 2 favorite players were bettis and porter. why do you think cowher didnt do anything to shut up porter when he was running his mouth? remember after last year when lebeau wanted to remove porter from the openning game and porter plead to cowher? cowher let him go back in.

i like to see the players willing to do the right thing and run through a brick wall for their coach regardless. thanks for not being a t.o. porter!

BlackNGold203
08-17-2006, 09:44 PM
we're going to go out there and fight for coach like we always do.

God i love the Steelers.....

Haiku_Dirtt
08-17-2006, 10:07 PM
wow! thers is so much to be said about this article. kudos to porter and to cowher.

maybe if porter is let go cowher walks???? ive always felt that cowhers 2 favorite players were bettis and porter. why do you think cowher didnt do anything to shut up porter when he was running his mouth? remember after last year when lebeau wanted to remove porter from the openning game and porter plead to cowher? cowher let him go back in.

i like to see the players willing to do the right thing and run through a brick wall for their coach regardless. thanks for not being a t.o. porter!

Agree. I really hope ART II is up to the job. Porter is more an Omar thing. But the Cowher deal is all on the Rooneys. It's the kind of soap opera I prefer to see on other teams.

Stlrs4Life
08-17-2006, 10:27 PM
Well, there is only so much money to pass around, and come next season if it is between Troy P., Joey and Ike. It's later Joey. Have a good time wasting your time on another team.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
08-17-2006, 10:38 PM
I think Porter would be willing to take less money to stay with the steelers....Hes just that kind of player

83-Steelers-43
08-17-2006, 11:15 PM
So I guess those contract rumors dealing with Porter were not so far off.

In my opinion this had nothing to do with Cowher saving the day or Porter giving in and doing what's right and good for the team. Not to sound cold, but bottomline in my book; It came down to Porter knowing he wasn't going to get jack shit from the Rooney's.

While I respect Joey Porter just as much as the next Steeler fan, I'm taking into consideration his age and our current and future contract situations. Joey Porter is not going to get an extension and he knows it, nor should he in my opinion.

tony hipchest
08-17-2006, 11:49 PM

In my opinion this had nothing to do with Cowher saving the day or Porter giving in and doing what's right and good for the team. Not to sound cold, but bottomline in my book; It came down to Porter knowing he wasn't going to get jack shit from the Rooney's.

While I respect Joey Porter just as much as the next Steeler fan, I'm taking into consideration his age and our current and future contract situations. Joey Porter is not going to get an extension and he knows it, nor should he in my opinion. history says a player like harrison stays and porter goes. porter was harrison 5-6 years ago. too stay, porter will be asket to take a pay cut relative to his current salary. he is already unhappy with making so little. there are teams who will pay him big $$$ on the free market. the writing is on the wall and harrison is deserving of a starters spot.

83-Steelers-43
08-17-2006, 11:59 PM
history says a player like harrison stays and porter goes. porter was harrison 5-6 years ago. too stay, porter will be asket to take a pay cut relative to his current salary. he is already unhappy with making so little. there are teams who will pay him big $$$ on the free market. the writing is on the wall and harrison is deserving of a starters spot.

I agree completely. That's why I really didn't see the point in Porter bringing up his complaint in the first place.

Steelersfan4life0655
08-18-2006, 12:06 AM
damn, if we let go of porter, there went 100 bucks on a jersey i spent last season..

TasmanianTroy271
08-18-2006, 01:01 AM
Lol you should always do your research before investing in Jerseys...

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
08-18-2006, 01:14 AM
can you say Lloyd, Kirkland, Gildon, Green ect ect, Steelers never had a problem cutting a player loose and I don't see them changing their ways anytime soon. Agreed if the Steelers cut Porter loose they'll just plug Harrison in. A guy who's nickname is Silver Back works for me.

Steel Pit
08-18-2006, 05:03 AM
I don't believe that the Steelers will release Porter next season. Where's the benefit in that? Whether he's on the roster or not he's still going to be a big salary cap number. If he's going to be a big salary cap number then the Steelers would be absolutely retarded to release him. If a player is going to cost you big then YOU MIGHT AS WELL KEEP HIM unless of course the player has nothing at all left in the tank. Porter stays, guaranteed.

You saw the same situation with Kordell Stewart. The Steelers kept Stewart a few years longer than they wanted to simply because of his salary cap number which was going to be present whether Kordell was on the roster or not. They had to get something for their money.

nicesteel4life
08-18-2006, 09:30 AM
damn, if we let go of porter, there went 100 bucks on a jersey i spent last season..
Yup Yup. Thats the nature of the NFL today.
:sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny:

HometownGal
08-18-2006, 09:45 AM

Hey - I'm the official "kiss of death" as far as buying players' jerseys go! It's happened to me with the Steelers, Pirates and Pens - LOL! This season, though, I bought a Polamalu women's bling-bling jersey - not an official jersey - so Troy's safe! :bouncy:

I love Peezy, I really do. He had a great post-season and Peytoon sees him in his nightmares, but the Steelers are a business first and will do what they feel is best for the organization. I don't see him taking less money, but there is the possibility that some of the other guys may re-structure their contracts to make it possible for him to remain in the black and gold - who knows? These Steelers are a pretty tight-knit group of guys. Peezy is a locker room leader and a general on the field and his presence would be deeply missed, but Harrison is waiting in the wings and can fill that void pretty nicely, I feel. Should be interesting.

floodcitygirl
08-18-2006, 09:52 AM
I bought a Polamalu women's bling-bling jersey - not an official jersey - so Troy's safe! :bouncy: Ok girl....important stuff here....I want details....where'd you get a women's cut bling Polamalu jersey????

X-Terminator
08-18-2006, 09:57 AM
I don't believe that the Steelers will release Porter next season. Where's the benefit in that? Whether he's on the roster or not he's still going to be a big salary cap number. If he's going to be a big salary cap number then the Steelers would be absolutely retarded to release him. If a player is going to cost you big then YOU MIGHT AS WELL KEEP HIM unless of course the player has nothing at all left in the tank. Porter stays, guaranteed.

You saw the same situation with Kordell Stewart. The Steelers kept Stewart a few years longer than they wanted to simply because of his salary cap number which was going to be present whether Kordell was on the roster or not. They had to get something for their money.

Actually, I don't believe it would be that high, since I don't think NFL contracts are guaranteed. If they release him next season, the hit would be his cap number minus his base salary. If that number is within reason and he doesn't get an extension, then more than likely Porter is gone, as I don't see him accepting less money to stay with the Steelers. They already have Harrison waiting in the wings, so it would make sense for them to release him.

If I'm wrong about any of this, please feel free to correct me.

tony hipchest
08-18-2006, 10:05 AM
I agree completely. That's why I really didn't see the point in Porter bringing up his complaint in the first place.i was suprised with this story coming out now. it was from a recent interview it looks like and i took 2 things from it. porter was being bruatally honest and not trying to lie or beat around the bush or b.s. which i like. and he was giving rave reviews of his head coach.

to put it into context he may have been asked how he would feel playing next year if cowher wasnt the coach (his point being he possibly wouldnt be playing this year as a steeler if cowher wasnt the coach). maybe he wanted to take some attention off of cowher and put it on himself, which he is prone to do and lobby for a little more money in the meantime.

im just guessing. regardless, i think i like an unhappy, mad, mean porter better. the chip on his shoulder will be better for the steelers on the field.

HometownGal
08-18-2006, 10:09 AM
Ok girl....important stuff here....I want details....where'd you get a women's cut bling Polamalu jersey????

From the Reebok site with the 40% off coupon that was posted on Tuesday. I got my shipping confirmation via email this morning. With S & H - $42.19! Can't wait to wear it! :bouncy:

http://rbk.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/p2438134dt.jpg

tony hipchest
08-18-2006, 10:16 AM
From the Reebok site with the 40% off coupon that was posted on Tuesday. I got my shipping confirmation via email this morning. With S & H - $42.19! Can't wait to wear it! :bouncy:

http://rbk.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/p2438134dt.jpg
in the infamous words of paris hilton "thats hot"

floodcitygirl
08-18-2006, 10:17 AM

http://rbk.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/p2438134dt.jpgAre those rhinestones sewn on those numbers???? Oh, that's got to be mine! :excited:

BlackNGold203
08-18-2006, 10:21 AM
And here I sit with my stupid authentic black home jerseys......:cool: :cool:

83-Steelers-43
08-18-2006, 10:23 AM
It just seems after one story ends, another one pops up. Ben and the accident. Cowher and the contract situation. Santonio Holmes and his legal problems. Joey Porter and his contract situation.

Horrible timing on Porter's part in my opinion. This quote "I didn't have to come out here and be nice to anybody." kind of leads me to believe that Joey's intentions were not to take the heat off of Cowher and his contract situation but to make it a point that he's not very happy with his current contract situation; Will this effect his play on the field? Who knows for sure?

My main point here, what was the point? You know your not going to get an extension from the Rooney's when you still have two years left on your contract in which you will be paid $3.85 million this year and $5 million next season (including a $1 million roster bonus); Harrison waiting in the wings and other/larger contract situations coming up in the near future.

83-Steelers-43
08-18-2006, 10:24 AM
And here I sit with my stupid authentic black home jerseys......:cool: :cool:

Don't worry BNG203, I will buy you one for your B-day. :cheer:

83-Steelers-43
08-18-2006, 10:26 AM
Also.......some thoughts and points;

The deal Porter signed in 2002 was a good one for the team, but not awful for him. It's worth noting the market has moved considerably since then. Here's a history of franchise and transition tags, 1997-2006. Presently, LB is the 3rd high position, behind QB and DE, tho that changes year to year:

http://home.comcast.net/~tdgryn/fra...nsition9704.txt

Porter outplayed his deal in 2002 and, maybe, last year. However, he didn't have a great 2004 season, and, on the field, was less than ordinary in 2003 (although it was extraordinary he managed to come back from a gunshot wound). I doubt he discounted his service then, or gave back his check for that Cleveland game, 2004, when he got tossed. So. it's a push, more or less.

That's the way it is, that's the way it goes. Ray Lewis has gotten huge money for missing vast parts of 2 of the past 4 years while Tedy Bruschi led a couple SB defenses when playing for ~ 1.4M/season. In the LB market, like CB, compensation has been only lightly tied to value on the field.

I'm a Porter fan. IMO, he's the best of the Steeler LB, on point on the run or on man v. the pass. He's not an elite pass rusher but those are rare among LB. However, he's 29 and he's not gonna get Contract 3, not from me anyway. That said: the PS are up against it at that spot. Haggans is older than Porter, Harrison just a year younger and no one knows squat about Frazier (heard good things, but not proven) and the rest.

Looks like Joe will be ready to rumble for cash after this season. Trouble then for the PS FO, if, as i believe, they've got nuthin' in the pipeline. They could delay the inevitable, extending Porter for a season or two (not my choice), ala the deal they did last winter with Hartings. However, that'll be a rich deal, extending thru the period when TP and Ben will get re-done (we hope) and when the PS have decisions about the Smith Bros., Haggans, Faneca, etc...

LB is downlist among positions where players do well in C$3.

tony hipchest
08-18-2006, 10:33 AM
It just seems after one story ends, another one pops up. Ben and the accident. Cowher and the contract situation. Santonio Holmes and his legal problems. Joey Porter and his contract situation.

Horrible timing on Porter's part in my opinion. This quote "I didn't have to come out here and be nice to anybody." kind of leads me to believe that Joey's intentions were not to take the heat off of Cowher and his contract situation but to make it a point that he's not very happy with contract situation. Will this effect his play on the field? Who knows for sure?

My main point here, what was the point? You know your not going to get an extension from the Rooney's when you still have two years left on your contract in which you will be paid $3.85 million this year and $5 million next season (including a $1 million roster bonus). You also have Harrison waiting in the wings and other/larger contract situations coming up in the near future.i think sometimes joeys mouth dont follow his intentions. his point seems to be, "yeah im unhappy but im still showing up to play and im not being an ******* about it" in trying to express this maybe hes coming off as an *******.

joeys smarter than hes given credit for. he knows hes a lame duck this season. id be put off too. he wants to be a part of the next steelers dynasty. and whos gonna tell porter to zip his lip or when is a good time to speak his mind? its just joey being joey.

HometownGal
08-18-2006, 10:38 AM
Are those rhinestones sewn on those numbers???? Oh, that's got to be mine! :excited:

Yep they sure are! The person who spills beer on that jersey is going to have a can of whoop ass opened up on them - LOL! :blurp:

83-Steelers-43
08-18-2006, 10:40 AM
So the point of Joey opening his mouth at this point in time was to let us all know he's not happy with his contract even though he still has two years left on his current contract (in which he is getting paid fairly nice) and that he's going to man up and play through it?

Okie dokie......

I still don't agree with it. But like you said, "Joey being Joey". Here's to hoping "Joey being Joey" doesn't effect Joey's play on the field this season.

ARKIESTEEL
08-18-2006, 10:43 AM
So the point of Joey opening his mouth at this point in time was to let us all know he's not happy with his contract even though he still has two years left on his current contract (in which he is getting paid fairly nice) and that he's going to man up and play through it?

Okie dokie......

I still don't agree with it. But like you said, "Joey being Joey". Here's to hoping "Joey being Joey" doesn't effect Joey's play on the field this season.

Yeah I had to man up and go to work today cause if I sit out trying to get more money they will fire my ass

83-Steelers-43
08-18-2006, 10:44 AM
Yeah I had to man up and go to work today cause if I sit out trying to get more money they will fire my ass

Beautiful. :sofunny:

BlackNGold203
08-18-2006, 11:03 AM
Don't worry BNG203, I will buy you one for your B-day. :cheer:

Mannn...I better start working out.......:sofunny: :sofunny:

tony hipchest
08-18-2006, 11:04 AM
I still don't agree with it. But like you said, "Joey being Joey". Here's to hoping "Joey being Joey" doesn't effect Joey's play on the field this season.we should all know porter better than that. do you really think he would dog it or be unfocussed on the field? the dudes an animal, and hes only thinking of 1 thing when hes in the game. if anything it will add to the motivation he already has.

hines ward did the same thing talking about the $$$ but went the extra step and held out. it is a business and these atheletes are gonna speak if they want a raise. a solid team like the steelers wont allow it to be a distraction.

floodcitygirl
08-18-2006, 11:07 AM
Don't worry BNG203, I will buy you one for your B-day. :cheer:HEY! His birthday??? You know...my birthday is game day for the Steeler/Bengal game in Pittsburgh.....and....it's my first game in Pittsburgh....... (hint, hint) But, then again you could be right....I've heard he'd look alot better in it than me.....:frown: (sigh) :sofunny:

SteelerFanInCA
08-18-2006, 11:32 AM

While I respect Joey Porter just as much as the next Steeler fan, I'm taking into consideration his age and our current and future contract situations. Joey Porter is not going to get an extension and he knows it, nor should he in my opinion.
Especially with Harrison looking over his shoulder. Harrison keep your motor running.

83-Steelers-43
08-18-2006, 04:44 PM
we should all know porter better than that. do you really think he would dog it or be unfocussed on the field? the dudes an animal, and hes only thinking of 1 thing when hes in the game. if anything it will add to the motivation he already has.

hines ward did the same thing talking about the $$$ but went the extra step and held out. it is a business and these atheletes are gonna speak if they want a raise. a solid team like the steelers wont allow it to be a distraction.

I'm completely aware of Porter's attitude. But I'm also aware of the fact that people tend to act very funny when it comes down to the almighty :dollar: . I'm not stating Porter will or will not no give his all this season. But going by his comments, he makes it sound like he's doing us all a favor by not being a pain in the ass this season and that Cowher saved the day. I find that completely crazy.

Hine's situation is a little different than Porter's. The Rooney's made the right decision and chose not to break the bank (that whole "pay him whatever he wants" phase that swept Pittsburgh). There is a difference between the two. Ward actually had a chance to get his extension. Porter doesn't have a chance to get an extension from this team and he knows it. But, if he wants to complain and add on to the brush fire of media stories which took place this offseason be my guest. I still don't agree with his timing or his statements.

tony hipchest
08-18-2006, 06:15 PM
I'm completely aware of Porter's attitude. But I'm also aware of the fact that people tend to act very funny when it comes down to the almighty :dollar: . I'm not stating Porter will or will not no give his all this season. But going by his comments, he makes it sound like he's doing us all a favor by not being a pain in the ass this season and that Cowher saved the day. I find that completely crazy.

Hine's situation is a little different than Porter's. The Rooney's made the right decision and chose not to break the bank (that whole "pay him whatever he wants" phase that swept Pittsburgh). There is a difference between the two. Ward actually had a chance to get his extension. Porter doesn't have a chance to get an extension from this team and he knows it. But, if he wants to complain and add on to the brush fire of media stories which took place this offseason be my guest. I still don't agree with his timing or his statements. i gotta admit im a bit of a porter homer. while i cant say he is my favorite steeler, he probably is. i had no problem with his mouth like when he trash talked ray lewis to the bus with a bullet in his ass. when he called out the entire colts team, called out stevens before the superbowl. i thought it was funny when he punched william green and didnt fault him there and thought it was pretty funny when he joked about trash talking the president of the u.s.

if he trash talked the coach the rooneys or his teammates, is where i would draw the line. he hasnt done that.

now i dont know him but im pretty sure the prospect of turning into the next kirkland, lloyd, gildon, lake, etc. is upsetting and probably scares him more than anything else in the game of football. he is a steeler and wants to remain a steeler. the dan snyders of the world will see that this never happens. the thought of seeing him in a patriot uniform makes me wanna puke.

83-Steelers-43
08-18-2006, 06:21 PM
I have absolutely no problem with him trash talking on and off the field towards the opposing team. I'm a Porter fan, I just feel some things should be left behind closed doors instead of out in open.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-18-2006, 06:31 PM
I love Joey Porter I'm a huge fan of his. I'm also very hard on Joey. I expect alot out of the guy. To much at times. But I don't blame Joey for wanting what he is worth and this will be his last shot at the big pay day. But it won't come from the Steelers. To many things just work against Joey. He is approaching 30 and with football players you just never know when their skills will decline when they get close to 30. Look how fast Jason Gildon declined. Then you have to factor in the Steelers success in always finding OLB for their 3-4 scheme...James Harrison is ready for a starters role.. One last thing Troy and Ben need to be locked up long term.

I would love Joey to be resigned. But I don't like the chances of it happening.

tony hipchest
08-18-2006, 06:46 PM
I have absolutely no problem with him trash talking on and off the field towards the opposing team. I'm a Porter fan, I just feel some things should be left behind closed doors instead of out in open.
i hear you, but it is already out in the open. it is looming like a black cloud (the thought of ike and joey both leaving next year is kind of a bummer). if these players are asked about it enough eventually one of them will respond and let their true feelings be known. im not suprised porter was the 1st. it is in his nature and he dont pull no punches. with that being said i appreciate the way ike has handled his situation to this point. he has alot less ground to stand on than porter does though.

if porter wants to be a true leader of the steelers in the future he may have to look at the example set before him in jerome bettis and take a paycut. unfortunately i think we both can agree that porter doesnt wake up every monday struggling to get out of bed. he isnt the type to take a back seat or back seat money to anyone. if he sees jr. seau getting signed at 37 he has to feel he has alot left in the tank. i feel porters dilemma. he just wants to remain a steeler.