PDA

View Full Version : No HOF for Bettis.

desertsteel
02-02-2013, 05:13 PM
Maybe next year...

harrison'samonster
02-02-2013, 05:14 PM
one more kick in the stomach in a rotten year.

Unkindness
02-02-2013, 05:19 PM
Ogden in!

desertsteel
02-02-2013, 05:39 PM
I was glad to see Carter in. I think that the 3.9 YPC hurts the Bus.

kent
02-02-2013, 05:57 PM
He'll get in eventually...Also glad to see Chris Carter get in. Warren Sapp is a stretch though IMO.

Atlanta Dan
02-02-2013, 05:57 PM
It is tough for someone who is not a first ballot candidate when there is a cap on 5 inductees of modern (past 25 years) players per year in a sport with 22 starters - but that is what makes Canton exclusive

desertsteel
02-02-2013, 06:17 PM
He'll get in eventually...Also glad to see Chris Carter get in. Warren Sapp is a stretch though IMO.

Agree on Sapp as a first ballot - a stretch IMO. Bus was the only RB finalist this year so I liked his chances. I'm not sure who's coming up next year but it'll be a while before LT is eligible. Can't think of any other RB who should bypass the Bus til then.

desertsteel
02-02-2013, 06:19 PM
It is tough for someone who is not a first ballot candidate when there is a cap on 5 inductees of modern (past 25 years) players per year in a sport with 22 starters - but that is what makes Canton exclusive

Agree. It makes it mean more. Unlike the ultra lame Basketball HOF.

TRH
02-02-2013, 06:53 PM
Warren Sapp? In baseball, you have to be of "outstanding character". Is this not a requirement in football?

harrison'samonster
02-02-2013, 06:57 PM
Warren Sapp? In baseball, you have to be of "outstanding character". Is this not a requirement in football?

Sapp getting in 1st time is a little disappointing to me.

ZoneBlitzer
02-02-2013, 06:59 PM
If Bettis worked at NFL network I guarantee he would've gotten in.

harrison'samonster
02-02-2013, 07:01 PM
If Bettis worked at NFL network I guarantee he would've gotten in.

I agree. NFL's gotta sell it's tickets. They aren't making enough money with 32 teams and only 16 game season, and their own TV channel that ppl have to pay extra to see.

ZoneBlitzer
02-02-2013, 07:22 PM
I didn't realize that this was Bettis' 3rd time. When you're on the NFL network you are part of the inner circle. All the guys are chummy and its a big love fest as they lather one another with compliments. I've been paying attention. It all started with Rod Woodson and his lobbying for LeBeau on the NFL network. When Rod got in (which he deserved ) all the other ex-players on the network got in. It then becomes more programming for them as they get all schmaltzy over their colleague.

So Jerome, you want in? Apply to the NFL network.

The_Joker
02-02-2013, 08:03 PM
Bill Parcells! Hell yes, I like the Giants. Also, Sapp first ballot?

Steelers5895
02-02-2013, 08:13 PM
I dont see Bettis as a shoe in Hall of Famer. I think he was a great back but I dont think of him as one of the best backs of all time. He was more of a stat compiler who over time compiled nice stats. His crowning moment was what? the fumble against the Colts? Plus the end of the career he kind of hung on and wasnt much of a factor.

I think he will get in some day but dont be surprised if its a 7-10 year wait. Just look at Cris Carter.

I think Terrell davis was a better back, Martin for sure, Sanders, Emmit, Ricky Watters were the top backs in his era. All are better than him so that hurts him.

harrison'samonster
02-02-2013, 08:20 PM
I dont see Bettis as a shoe in Hall of Famer. I think he was a great back but I dont think of him as one of the best backs of all time. He was more of a stat compiler who over time compiled nice stats. His crowning moment was what? the fumble against the Colts? Plus the end of the career he kind of hung on and wasnt much of a factor.

I think he will get in some day but dont be surprised if its a 7-10 year wait. Just look at Cris Carter.

I think Terrell davis was a better back, Martin for sure, Sanders, Emmit, Ricky Watters were the top backs in his era. All are better than him so that hurts him.

a stat compiler? Seriously? Just 4745 days at the office. Compiling stats. right.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
02-02-2013, 08:27 PM
I think it's safe to say he'll get in next year, he just got unlucky as far as being among a lot of big names this year.

kent
02-02-2013, 11:35 PM
Anyone likes Hines chances to be a first balloter when his year comes around or him even getting in at all? I think he deserves it, owns the Steelers's records and is probably the best pure FOOTBALL player Ive seen.

steelfury02
02-03-2013, 06:52 AM
Anyone likes Hines chances to be a first balloter when his year comes around or him even getting in at all? I think he deserves it, owns the Steelers's records and is probably the best pure FOOTBALL player Ive seen.

I actually think Hines will wait longer than Bettis has to - I say Bettis gets in in the next two tries.

Unfortunately for Hines, he didn't put up huge numbers. Possession WRs who specialize in blocking are not high on the list. As much as I love him, and as much as I think he was the best Steelers WR since Swann and Stallworth - just not enough people that are gung-ho on him.

Plus, he was widely disliked because of his blindside hitting - that will hurt him.

TRH
02-03-2013, 07:41 AM
I actually think Hines will wait longer than Bettis has to - I say Bettis gets in in the next two tries.

Unfortunately for Hines, he didn't put up huge numbers. Possession WRs who specialize in blocking are not high on the list. As much as I love him, and as much as I think he was the best Steelers WR since Swann and Stallworth - just not enough people that are gung-ho on him.

Plus, he was widely disliked because of his blindside hitting - that will hurt him.

I agree.
Plus, he wasn't "flashy" like a Moss, Carter, etc. I think Steelers fans have a big surprise coming when they find Hines not getting inducted to the HOF.

WVABE
02-03-2013, 08:22 AM
I believe there will be a spot in the HOF for the best blocking WR in NFL history,
it may take awhile but he'll get there.

sluggermatt15
02-03-2013, 08:27 AM
Too bad for Jerome not getting elected yesterday. Honestly I can understand why he wasn't elected, and that is because he was up against a pretty competitive pool of candidates. All the candidates really had a case to be elected. But eventually I think Jerome will be enshrined. It just may take some time.

Steelerindc
02-03-2013, 09:17 AM
The fact that Sapp got in on the first Ballot is a joke over Bettis is a joke! Simply put. Jerome is in the top 10 of RB in history. Seriously!

stb_steeler
02-03-2013, 10:13 AM

Hines was what football used to be....

Blacksburg Zach
02-03-2013, 10:48 AM
The fact that Sapp got in on the first Ballot is a joke over Bettis is a joke! Simply put. Jerome is in the top 10 of RB in history. Seriously!

Walter Payton
Barry Sanders
Jim Brown
Emmitt Smith
O.J. Simpson
Eric Dickerson
Marshall Faulk
LaDanian Tomilnson
Tony Dorsett
Earl Campbell
Gale Sayers
Marcus Allen
Curtis Martin

Sorry, I loved Bettis, but I don't consider him a top ten all time running back. I think he will get onto the hall of fame eventually, but it will probably be another few years.

sluggermatt15
02-03-2013, 11:51 AM

I can see your point. Sapp won a SB in the middle of his career, then declined right before he retired (in Oakland). On the other hand, Bettis went out a winner by retiring after winning the Super Bowl. Fair statement.

Fire Arians
02-03-2013, 12:02 PM
sucks

kent
02-03-2013, 03:25 PM
Walter Payton
Barry Sanders
Jim Brown
Emmitt Smith
O.J. Simpson
Eric Dickerson
Marshall Faulk
LaDanian Tomilnson
Tony Dorsett
Earl Campbell
Gale Sayers
Marcus Allen
Curtis Martin

Sorry, I loved Bettis, but I don't consider him a top ten all time running back. I think he will get onto the hall of fame eventually, but it will probably be another few years.

You can even throw in newer guys like Peterson. Franco Harris is still the all time Steelers rushing yards leader as well.

sluggermatt15
02-03-2013, 05:50 PM
You can even throw in newer guys like Peterson. Franco Harris is still the all time Steelers rushing yards leader as well.

Very true. Peterson's career is not over yet. Not even close. The guy could turn out to be HOF worthy or he couldn't.

On the argument that Harris is the Steelers' leading rusher, why should Bettis be in if he isn't ahead of Franco? Not saying Jerome shouldn't be in, just curious as to what the counter to this might be.

tanda10506
02-04-2013, 11:46 AM
I didn't expect him to get in on the first ballot because he is EXTREMELY underrated by anybody who's not a Steeler fan. It doesn't matter that only 5 people to play the game since it's beginning have more yards then him, he wasn't flashy enough for fans of other teams to have respect for him. He will get in, but it will take a few tries. Much like Hines, he has more receptions then Swann and Stallworth combined.

As for Sapp, he was the beneficiary of an announcer's spot. For some reason every player and coach "gets better" once they start announcing.