PDA

View Full Version : Mike Wallace turned down $10 million a yr deal from Steelers

Hawaii 5-0
02-04-2013, 09:47 PM
Report: Mike Wallace turned down $10 million a yr deal from the Steelers

by Pro Football Zone:
2/3/13

According to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, it looks like the Steelers and wide receiver Mike Wallace will part ways with one another this offseason after he turned down a five-year $10 million contract offer last year. They gave him their best offer last year, reportedly averaging $10 million annually over five years, and he turned it down.

They stopped negotiating with Wallace once camp started and he did not show up, and quickly turned their attention to (Antonio) Brown. He signed a five-year contract for $42.5 million that included an $8.5 million signing bonus.

It’s pretty shocking that Wallace turned down such a generous offer. I would love to know how much money he’s looking for. I can’t imagine Wallace getting over $10 million per year deal from any team.

http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/report_mike_wallace_turned_down_10_million_a_yr_de al_from_the_steelers/12828352

Fire Arians
02-04-2013, 09:50 PM
:wave:

zcoop
02-04-2013, 10:14 PM
Must be a slow day at his office, yawn. He's been reporting this absent details of the offer since the summer.

harrison'samonster
02-04-2013, 10:16 PM
he didn't want to be here. I'll be surprised if any teams going to give him a better deal after the way he played this year

Stu Pidasso
02-04-2013, 10:17 PM
Have fun in Arizona, Mike!

Kingmagyar
02-04-2013, 10:38 PM
Well he would have made 50 million with the Steelers through 2016. Which means to equal that he needs to make 47 million in the next 4 years as he made around 3 million last year as a RFA. Will a team pay Wallace 11.75 million a year?

Fat chance.

cowherpower
02-04-2013, 10:45 PM
He'll get 5 year 60 million from someone. If Vincent Jackson gets 55 million Wallace will get more imho. His skill set of world class speed and the numbers he has put up is making some OC out there salivate. I am thinking MIA will be leading the charge and they can't be topped money wise. They need a true number 1 to go with Hartline and help young Tannehill. IF not there, there are another handful of teams with the money to lure him. He will go, we will miss him though not as much as we would if our QB had a good deep ball.

SteelersCanada
02-04-2013, 10:48 PM
Ed Bouchette article. Grain of salt.

Hawaii 5-0
02-04-2013, 11:30 PM
He'll get 5 year 60 million from someone. If Vincent Jackson gets 55 million Wallace will get more imho.

Vincent Jackson is a way better WR than Mike Wallace is, compare their 2012 stats:

Jackson 72 rec for 1384 yds 19.2 avg and 8 TDs
Wallace 64 rec for 836 yds 13.1 avg and 8 TDs

dez09231
02-05-2013, 12:50 AM
I'm glad he did. Will miss the speed, not the attitude or lack of effort. He rubs off bad on Brown, anyway.

FrancoLambert
02-05-2013, 05:44 AM
But we won't have the "young money" crew anymore.
"Fast Money" will be gone.
We're doomed! :coffee:

WVABE
02-05-2013, 06:15 AM
I just hope our recievers make a little effort catching the ball this year, Wallace will not be missed and as a matter a fact it will more than likely help the team and Ben. He spent to much time looking for the homerun ball with other recievers standing around wide open. I'm super glad he declined the offer.

MeanGee2047
02-05-2013, 08:30 AM
Bye Mike....the greed cost you!:wave:

ricardisimo
02-05-2013, 08:33 AM
I know people don't want to admit it, but there's a good chance we wouldn't have seen this collapse within the WR corps had the Steelers kept Hines Ward around for one more year. Brown and co. needed someone to hold their hands for a little while longer, and Wallace would not have considered the holdout if the Steelers had a veteran they could rely upon while he was gone. That was the basis of the holdout: they couldn't survive without him.

steelfury02
02-05-2013, 08:44 AM
I'm glad he did. Will miss the speed, not the attitude or lack of effort. He rubs off bad on Brown, anyway.

this X Infinity

good riddance

wwhickok
02-05-2013, 09:38 AM
He has already said in not so many words he wants to be paid like Larry Fitzgerald. The thing is I would rather HAVE Larry Fitzgerald. I DON'T think he is going to get $10M a year elsewhere.

steelfury02
02-05-2013, 09:44 AM
He has already said in not so many words he wants to be paid like Larry Fitzgerald. The thing is I would rather HAVE Larry Fitzgerald. I DON'T think he is going to get $10M a year elsewhere.

and for those thinking the Snyders and Jones are going to pay him - just remember, Snyder finally took the reigns off of Shanahan and let him start making some better decisions and Jones is ready to knock down their roster and rebuild. Will Mike find a job? Sure - but if he gets paid more it will only be slightly better than that and very likely only 60-70% of that.

The Patriots will absolutely not pay Wallace that. They have to settle with Welker if they even can and Welker is head and shoulders a better player (all around football player) and has a better work ethic and attitude.

Why the hell would the Ravens over pay for a guy like him when they get so much out of the SB winning corp they have. Sure - they might not be able to keep them all due to Flacco's contract - but now they have the strategy to win without cashing out for it.

Wallace will either be with a bottom feeder, with Arians in Arizona, Colts, or maybe even go to GB where Rogers (Jennings might be gone)and his coaches will NOT put up with his shit as much as Tomlin and co have. After his next team at this rate, Wallace might just find himself out of football.

I would L_O_V_E a Greg Jennings on our team. He is still fast and has waaay better route running abilities and will fight for the ball.

wwhickok
02-05-2013, 09:50 AM
Do you really think we could afford Jennings though? I honestly dont.

I DO think Wallace will end up in Arizona.

steelfury02
02-05-2013, 09:52 AM
Do you really think we could afford Jennings though? I honestly dont.

I DO think Wallace will end up in Arizona.

oh hell no we can't afford Jennings, but that is the type of WR we need over this overly-hyped track star

I have a feeling Arians will continue the Steelers West tradition of taking from our scrap heap

Atlanta Dan
02-05-2013, 09:58 AM
I know people don't want to admit it, but there's a good chance we wouldn't have seen this collapse within the WR corps had the Steelers kept Hines Ward around for one more year. Brown and co. needed someone to hold their hands for a little while longer, and Wallace would not have considered the holdout if the Steelers had a veteran they could rely upon while he was gone. That was the basis of the holdout: they couldn't survive without him.

Hard to say how Hines being around would have changed matters - by the end of 2011 Hines was the #5 receiver in terms of ability and keeping him around as a player-coach-motivator for what he wanted to be paid would have been tough if he could not lead by example on the field - at some point your younger players need to step up without adult supervision - some younger players assume that role as the next generation of leaders (Ward, Smith and Porter for the Steelers after 2001) and some do not (Burress). Wallace did not

What the playoffs showed to me was the happy talk earlier in the year about the Steelers having the best receiving corps in the NFL was a joke - in today's game you need some size at WR (Megatron, Julio Jones, Green) and the Steelers did not have that even on the days Wallace felt like playing

Steelers>NFL
02-05-2013, 09:59 AM
oh hell no we can't afford Jennings, but that is the type of WR we need over this overly-hyped track star

I have a feeling Arians will continue the Steelers West tradition of taking from our scrap heap

with no QB to throw to him in Arizona. he'll be miserable...

wwhickok
02-05-2013, 10:00 AM

Good

steelfury02
02-05-2013, 10:16 AM
Hard to say how Hines being around would have changed matters - by the end of 2011 Hines was the #5 receiver in terms of ability and keeping him around as a player-coach-motivator for what he wanted to be paid would have been tough if he could not lead by example on the field - at some point your younger players need to step up without adult supervision - some younger players assume that role as the next generation of leaders (Ward, Smith and Porter for the Steelers after 2001) and some do not (Burress). Wallace did not

What the playoffs showed to me was the happy talk earlier in the year about the Steelers having the best receiving corps in the NFL was a joke - in today's game you need some size at WR (Megatron, Julio Jones, Green) and the Steelers did not have that even on the days Wallace felt like playing

and think about who has won the last 3 SBs. Green Bay didn't have the biggest guys, but they had near perfect route running and execution and thrived on adjust to our D's weaknesses (Think Jennings on sideline talking about corner in the end zone being open all day long) - all on same page.

Giants WRs were even closer to our guys in terms of size and speed but fought a helluva lot harder than what I saw and had way better hands.

Ravens WRs were extremely physical and were not going to be out physicaled for the ball. Boldin, Smith and Jones caught the Broncos, Patriots, and 49ers secondaries with their pants down and made them pay with mid-air timing

When your corp can't hang their hat on any one ability, you're right - they can be somewhat overrated. I think you'll see our guys get back to the basics and possessing over anything else, or, we're toast again.

Steeldude
02-05-2013, 10:20 AM

As long as he is overpaid he will be happy enough

Steel Peon
02-05-2013, 10:21 AM

Oh no.......Alex Smith will be throwing him the ball, for whatever good that will do him.

steelfury02
02-05-2013, 10:22 AM
As long as he is overpaid he will be happy enough

unless he plans on burning it quickly - why does this feel like another TO?

Riddle_Of_Steel
02-05-2013, 10:24 AM
Hard to say how Hines being around would have changed matters - by the end of 2011 Hines was the #5 receiver in terms of ability and keeping him around as a player-coach-motivator for what he wanted to be paid would have been tough if he could not lead by example on the field - at some point your younger players need to step up without adult supervision - some younger players assume that role as the next generation of leaders (Ward, Smith and Porter for the Steelers after 2001) and some do not (Burress). Wallace did not.

Personally, I think the Steelers gave up on HInes way too early. I didn't say anything about it then, so I am not going to play the hindsight professor role here.

But seriously, he had a descent season in 2011, and then we came back from the lockout and suddenly he is over the hill? The long offseason and lockout did not benefit any teams or players, but I don't think guys go from productive to dead weight in a few months.

He spent the summer on dancing with the stars and whatnot. I am sure if he worked out again, he could have been a contributor still. They just did not want him around anymore because he did not fit their "young money" speed-influenced scheme.

These young punks seriously need Ward there to regulate. Remember how he made Mendenhall tote a ball around with him his rookie year after his first case of the drops? He could have setup a lockerroom rule that everytime someone throws the ball to Wallace and he doesn't catch it, he has to pay them $100.

If the Steelers make an offer to Wallace, I wonder what they would put on the table now, after the season he had. I doubt it would be the $10 million they seem to have offered at the start of the year.

xbroughneck
02-05-2013, 10:41 AM
Vincent Jackson is a way better WR than Mike Wallace is, compare their 2012 stats:

Jackson 72 rec for 1384 yds 19.2 avg and 8 TDs
Wallace 64 rec for 836 yds 13.1 avg and 8 TDs

Yet people will say " but Mike is faster".

Well duh. If Mike Wallace didn't have straight line speed he'd be in the Canadian football league. His other wide receiver attributes are average at best.

Mike Wallace can't hold Santonio Holmes jock.

Will I miss the speed? Yup.

Replace it with decent speed, good hands and good route running (can be found through free agency or the 2nd round of the draft) and won't miss him.

Read this guys bio (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/historical/564165)

He's a free agent, 6'3" and his attributes and cons remind me a lot of Mike Wallace.

Difference? Guy can probably be had for 2-4 million a year and he's 2" taller than Mike.

steelfury02
02-05-2013, 10:44 AM

Well duh. If Mike Wallace didn't have straight line speed he'd be in the Canadian football league. His other wide receiver attributes are average at best.

Replace it with decent speed, good hands and good route running (can be found through free agency or the 2nd round of the draft) and won't miss him.

Read this guys bio (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/historical/564165)

He's a free agent, 6'3" and his attributes and cons remind me a lot of Mike Wallace.

Difference? Guy can probably be had for 2-4 million a year and he's 2" taller than Mike.

I understand but honestly the negatives they are saying anyways, outweigh the additional 2 inches. He has problems in tight coverage and holding onto the ball with big hits - thats a problem we've already had to deal with. I dunno - he certainly couldn't be any worse.

steelfury02
02-05-2013, 10:45 AM

my best guess is 6-7.5 mil

Fire Arians
02-05-2013, 10:45 AM
the raiders will take him

xbroughneck
02-05-2013, 11:02 AM
I understand but honestly the negatives they are saying anyways, outweigh the additional 2 inches. He has problems in tight coverage and holding onto the ball with big hits - thats a problem we've already had to deal with. I dunno - he certainly couldn't be any worse.

Oh,..I'm not saying the Steelers should limit themselves to a Wallace "equal". We've seen that act and it's not pretty. (Steelers need a first or second round receiver on their roster)

I love Antonio. I like Emmanual. I like Cotchery.

None of those guys are going to be a Santonio Holmes or an Anquan Boldin. They aren't the kind of guy that Ben can simply put the ball up there and know that the odds are his receiver will beat the defender to that ball.

An A. Boldin, a Santonio Holmes...those are the types of receivers that give $10 million value with their signing.

Mike Wallace ain't that kind of receiver.

The Steelers need help at receiver and the defensive backfield. Mike Wallace for $10 million per doesn't help.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
02-05-2013, 11:33 AM
Maybe we draft Hopkins are Justin Hunter in the draft or maybe trade back in the 1st and draft Cordarrelle Patterson.

kent
02-05-2013, 11:59 AM
Saves us money and gets rid of some bad attitude. WRs are easy to replace compared to other positions.

GMU Steeler
02-05-2013, 12:00 PM
Bye Mike. Would have been nice if you at least gave us a contract year. I do wonder where he ends up. Maybe Arizona.

tmacsteelerfan
02-05-2013, 02:22 PM
If we were to address this need in the draft, there's no WR I want more than Stedman Bailey. He has some of the surest hands I've ever seen in football, and what he lacks in speed he makes up for in the way he makes big catches. Despite his height, with practice with Ben he can also be a valuable redzone threat like he was with the fade routes thrown from Geno Smith. He's projected as a 2nd or 3rd Rd. pick, I doubt his stock rises after the combine because he doesn't have remarkable athleticism. But he's tremendous, and a huge part why Geno may be the 1st pick in the draft. Just check his stats. (only one TD shy of tying our man Troy Edwards record) Oh, and get this, he's also a great special teamer who's an experienced return man, and a tremendous kickoff team tackler. I would love to see the Steelers take him in the 3rd. I book it that he's a great WR wherever he's drafted.

Riddle_Of_Steel
02-05-2013, 02:25 PM
I love Antonio. I like Emmanual. I like Cotchery.

None of those guys are going to be a Santonio Holmes or an Anquan Boldin. They aren't the kind of guy that Ben can simply put the ball up there and know that the odds are his receiver will beat the defender to that ball.

An A. Boldin, a Santonio Holmes...those are the types of receivers that give $10 million value with their signing.

I can see Antonio getting there this season.

austinfrench76
02-05-2013, 03:16 PM
This report was out last year.

ricardisimo
02-05-2013, 10:06 PM
But something like four of the top-six WRs this year didn't make the playoffs, Megatron being the most obvious. Also, much of the rest of the top receivers are relative shrimps like Welker and Smith, or in the Reggie Wayne height range. San Fran had a mildly productive Randy Moss and Baltimore had a not-so-hulking Anquan Boldin.

My point being I don't think the WR formula is that simple. You can get it done with a bunch of speedsters, and we've certainly gotten it done in the recent past with slow-as-molasses blocking wideouts. This group we have looks special to me. Wallace had an abysmal year, no doubt, but he's gone. I strongly suggest to you and everyone that most of the passing game's difficulties this year can be laid at Ben's feet.

You think the talk about our wide receivers was a joke? How about the boasting about having the greatest QBs in the game? Three wheelchair-bound quarterbacks, and we cut the only young, promising, strong quarterback we had all season (Johnson). I'd like to see a major overhaul at backup this offseason. Our backups are guaranteed to start three or four games a season... they should be resilient if nothing else.

teegre
02-05-2013, 11:28 PM
If we were to address this need in the draft, there's no WR I want more than Stedman Bailey. He has some of the surest hands I've ever seen in football, and what he lacks in speed he makes up for in the way he makes big catches. Despite his height, with practice with Ben he can also be a valuable redzone threat like he was with the fade routes thrown from Geno Smith. He's projected as a 2nd or 3rd Rd. pick, I doubt his stock rises after the combine because he doesn't have remarkable athleticism. But he's tremendous, and a huge part why Geno may be the 1st pick in the draft. Just check his stats. (only one TD shy of tying our man Troy Edwards record) Oh, and get this, he's also a great special teamer who's an experienced return man, and a tremendous kickoff team tackler. I would love to see the Steelers take him in the 3rd. I book it that he's a great WR wherever he's drafted.

If I'm drafting a Mountaineer, it's Tavon Austin... no question. He is lightyears better than Stedman (who, yes, is very good).

Hawaii 5-0
02-06-2013, 01:18 AM
If I'm drafting a Mountaineer, it's Tavon Austin... no question. He is lightyears better than Stedman (who, yes, is very good).

Steelers’ Ike Taylor says Tavon Austin is a “special player”

January 15, 2013 by Paul Jackiewicz

According to Daniel Dudley of Trib Live Radio, while training with West Virginia wide receiver Tavon Austin, Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor says he’s a special player.

“Who ever gets that guy, is getting a special player,” said Taylor, Per Dudley.

As of right now I believe Austin is projected by most “experts” to be a second round pick in April’s NFL draft. He’s an explosive player that has some first round value in my opinion.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/steelers_ike_taylor_says_tavon_austin_is_a_special _player/12670354

lloydwoodson
02-06-2013, 03:39 AM
Tired of you jealous haters continuing to trash Mike Wallace. How many games did he miss this season? Has he ever gotten a penalty for excessive celebration? Has he ever been in trouble with the law outside of football? Has he ever been suspended for any reason?

Nope. Never been in any kind of trouble inside or outside of football. He has missed one game in 4 years. He has scored more touchdowns in the last 4 years than all but two receivers.

Pay the man!

Who wouldn't hold out to try to maximize their profits? Wallace wants to be paid the going rate for the players at his position and he is a top 10 NFL receiver.

Taking a contract worth 8 million per year instead of one worth 10-12 million per year is like passing up winning the lottery every year for the duration of the contract. Only a complete idiot would not hold out. Thankfully he put the team first, ended his holdout and played for a fraction of what he is worth while still leading the Steelers in receiving yards and touchdowns.

This is a business. Get yours Mike Wallace, you deserve it for some of the most exciting plays in Steelers history, a strong work ethic and tremendous on-field production.

kan_t
02-06-2013, 03:49 AM
Pay the man!

Could they?

lloydwoodson
02-06-2013, 03:53 AM
Could they?

Nope. Not now. They paid 8 million a year to AB. That money was earmarked for Wallace. Wallace is a one-trick pony... all he does is score touchdowns. Meanwhile AB isn't especially good at any one aspect of the game but does everything well... a lot like every #2 NFL WR there ever was.

I would feel a lot more comfortable with Sanders or Cotchery as the #2 next year than I would with AB as the #1.

kan_t
02-06-2013, 04:10 AM
Nope. Not now. They paid 8 million a year to AB. That money was earmarked for Wallace. Wallace is a one-trick pony... all he does is score touchdowns. Meanwhile AB isn't especially good at any one aspect of the game but does everything well... a lot like every #2 NFL WR there ever was.

I would feel a lot more comfortable with Sanders or Cotchery as the #2 next year than I would with AB as the #1.

$8M is actually what a very good #2 WR would get in open market. And if the Steelers allow him to keep the punt return job, it's reasonable to say that he's more valuable than Wallace.

I have said that before. Yes Wallace is a one-trick pony, but his only trick is so good that teams are forced to adjust their defensive scheme to him. That's what a #1 WR does to other teams. Too bad the Steelers do not have the cap to keep him.

VaDave
02-06-2013, 07:19 AM
Guys,

Cotchery is not a game breaker. I commented on another thread that I can't ever recall him ever being wide open. He may be working on the NFL record for the least amount a YAC per catch.....

He's a great guy from all reports, knows his plays, blocks well ( not as good as Hines), good hands, but the guy is slow. I'll bet you Leftwich could out run him.

Steeldude
02-06-2013, 07:48 AM
Tired of you jealous haters continuing to trash Mike Wallace. How many games did he miss this season? Has he ever gotten a penalty for excessive celebration? Has he ever been in trouble with the law outside of football? Has he ever been suspended for any reason?

Nope. Never been in any kind of trouble inside or outside of football. He has missed one game in 4 years. He has scored more touchdowns in the last 4 years than all but two receivers.

Pay the man!

Who wouldn't hold out to try to maximize their profits? Wallace wants to be paid the going rate for the players at his position and he is a top 10 NFL receiver.

Taking a contract worth 8 million per year instead of one worth 10-12 million per year is like passing up winning the lottery every year for the duration of the contract. Only a complete idiot would not hold out. Thankfully he put the team first, ended his holdout and played for a fraction of what he is worth while still leading the Steelers in receiving yards and touchdowns.

This is a business. Get yours Mike Wallace, you deserve it for some of the most exciting plays in Steelers history, a strong work ethic and tremendous on-field production.

Has Wallace deliberately not tried? Yes. Does he fight for the ball? No. Does he want too much money? Yes. Does he have good or even average hands? No.

Thankfully he put the team first,

No he didn't. If he put the team first he would have made it to camp. The only reason he came back is because he would have had his $2.7 million drop to $575,000. It's about money with Wallace, nothing else.

The guy brings nothing more than a great 40 time.

a strong work ethic

:rofl: You are totally blind

VaDave
02-06-2013, 07:59 AM
And for the most part Wallace played like a guy that was expecting a very large check if he stayed healthy, if you get my drift... Woodley suffers from the same malady.

steelfury02
02-06-2013, 08:00 AM

Pay the man!

that 1 game he missed was for pretty selfish reasons IMO - just can't get on board with this guy or his lame ass excuses when he was playing like crap. It was everyone else's fault but his - its a business, but - he would be a terrible business partner - in key situations and down the stretch he is invisible ala Randy Moss. Sorry - we disagree

Hawaii 5-0
02-06-2013, 03:10 PM
Wallace wants to be paid the going rate for the players at his position and he is a top 10 NFL receiver.

no, he's not.

lloydwoodson
02-06-2013, 03:41 PM
that 1 game he missed was for pretty selfish reasons IMO - just can't get on board with this guy or his lame ass excuses when he was playing like crap. It was everyone else's fault but his - its a business, but - he would be a terrible business partner - in key situations and down the stretch he is invisible ala Randy Moss. Sorry - we disagree

The only game he missed was this past season after the Steelers had already been eliminated from the playoffs... so who cares? That was a game Roethlisberger should not have played in either - what with his life-threatening rib injury. Seems foolish to play a mortally wounded Roethlisberger only to move down 5 draft spots and risk your 100 million dollar qb dying.

Is Wallace invisible down the stretch? Like his 9 catch 1 TD performance in Superbowl XLV? Yeah, clearly not a #1 wide receiver.

Steelers5895
02-06-2013, 03:49 PM

Pay the man!

so he should get paid for acting like a normal human being. what you described is not going above and beyond.

what i saw from wallace this year was a disgruntled hold out who short armed a few passes and didnt make the effort to come back to the ball enough times to cost us drives.

So, instead of playing "balls to the wall" to get his contract he conceeded he wouldnt be back and ensured he didnt get hurt. so, he was more concerned about his pay day than winning

totally understand that mentality it is a business. BUT you guys who get your love affairs with players and look through rose colored glasses tend to look past his minimal effort performances this year.

oh, and his 15 drops too. i guess you were in the bathroom when those happened.

pete74
02-06-2013, 04:09 PM
so he should get paid for acting like a normal human being. what you described is not going above and beyond.

what i saw from wallace this year was a disgruntled hold out who short armed a few passes and didnt make the effort to come back to the ball enough times to cost us drives.

So, instead of playing "balls to the wall" to get his contract he conceeded he wouldnt be back and ensured he didnt get hurt. so, he was more concerned about his pay day than winning

totally understand that mentality it is a business. BUT you guys who get your love affairs with players and look through rose colored glasses tend to look past his minimal effort performances this year.

So do you hate Brown and feel he should be released as well ? He had a few big drops, key fumbles that cost us the game and a few dumb plays. Just saying. Personally I would rather keep them both for the same price

teegre
02-06-2013, 05:41 PM
I am confused.

Is this reporting that Wallace turned down the offer last summer? OR, is this saying that he is turning down a new offer?

SteelersCanada
02-06-2013, 05:55 PM
I am confused.

Is this reporting that Wallace turned down the offer last summer? OR, is this saying that he is turning down a new offer?

This is the offer he turned down in August that for whatever reason Bouchette thinks is important news again.

teegre
02-06-2013, 05:57 PM
This is the offer he turned down in August that for whatever reason Bouchette thinks is important news again.

That's what I thought...

Thanks, Canada.

In other breaking news, Bam Morris got caught with a trunkful of pot. Who will replace him at RB???

tanda10506
02-06-2013, 05:59 PM
Good riddance! Take your slick hands and inflated ego to Arizona or Miami.

Millers the sh!t
02-06-2013, 06:53 PM
Good...

lloydwoodson
02-06-2013, 07:02 PM

NFL stats have Wallace recorded with 6 drops. That is tied for 13th in the AFC. There were another 20 players with 6 or more drops in the NFC. When it is all said and done there were more than 30 players who dropped the ball more than Wallace in 2012.

In Wallace's first 3 seasons he never dropped more than 4 passes in a year.

Steeldude
02-06-2013, 07:05 PM
The only game he missed was this past season after the Steelers had already been eliminated from the playoffs... so who cares? That was a game Roethlisberger should not have played in either - what with his life-threatening rib injury. Seems foolish to play a mortally wounded Roethlisberger only to move down 5 draft spots and risk your 100 million dollar qb dying.

Is Wallace invisible down the stretch? Like his 9 catch 1 TD performance in Superbowl XLV? Yeah, clearly not a #1 wide receiver.

Do #1 WRs deliberately not try? Do they not fight the ball?

I think you are a little bit too into Wallace to see the entire picture.

tony hipchest
02-06-2013, 08:07 PM

i love the continual bouchette bashing on this board.

everyone should keep in mind that the "article" in the OP is by a blogger on yardbarker.

said blogger is probably "reporting" old news, citing one of pgh's most prominent beat writers, for readers who dont follow the steelers as closely as us (probably prepping them for fantasy football, or following their own teams free agency).

OX1947
02-06-2013, 08:32 PM
When are some of you going to listen and wake up about Wallace? It has nothing to do with drops!!!!!!!!!! Receivers drop balls, it happens. It was his Randy Moss with the Raiders impression all year that made him a bitch. He did not want to get hurt, played soft and didnt come back for balls, etc etc. LISTEN!!!! AND WATCH!!!!!

SteelersCanada
02-06-2013, 08:46 PM
i love the continual bouchette bashing on this board.

everyone should keep in mind that the "article" in the OP is by a blogger on yardbarker.

said blogger is probably "reporting" old news, citing one of pgh's most prominent beat writers, for readers who dont follow the steelers as closely as us (probably prepping them for fantasy football, or following their own teams free agency).

The Bouchette bullshit has gotten to a point where Emmanuel Sanders was retweeting other guys bashing him because all he does is put out "interesting" and controversial headlines so people have to become a 'premium member' to read the attached article of said headlines.

So, you're going to have to excuse me if I'm calling Bouchette on what he's actually doing - finding a way to make a buck.

Hawaii 5-0
02-07-2013, 12:33 AM
Steelers Sunday Spotlight: Speed kills (and so does the lack of it)

February 3, 2013
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://db66abc2c256b763aaef-ce5d943d4869ae027976e5ad085dd9b0.r76.cf2.rackcdn.c om/2013/33/898/mikewallace_420.jpg

If, as expected, Mike Wallace leaves in free agency, there will be no easy -- or inexpensive -- way to replace his speed.

In a season gone bad, few positions took the blame as hard as did the Steelers' receivers. The Young Money crew underperformed, dropped passes and fumbles that could have salvaged two or three victories and turned 8-8 into a playoff team. Yet somewhat lost by the end in the disappointing play of Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders, was the fact that one receiver had one of the best seasons at his position in the history of the franchise.

• • • •

Tight end Heath Miller starred through all of it. He caught 71 passes for 816 yards to lead the team in both categories. His eight touchdowns tied Wallace for the team lead and his 50 points, counting a two-point conversion, led all position players. He won the team's most valuable player award by a landslide.

Miller has more receptions (408) than any tight end in team history and ranks third overall.

Yet typical of the Steelers' 2012 season, Miller was severely injured in the next-to-final game Dec. 23 against Cincinnati. He left with two torn knee ligaments that required surgery, the ACL and MCL, and damage to the PCL that will heal on its own.

So the Steelers are left with one more major blow to their collection of receivers entering 2013. They do not know when Miller will be ready to play again. Rashard Mendenhall had ACL surgery after last season and missed the first three games of 2012. What do the Steelers do while they wait for Miller to return? David Paulson had a nice rookie season as Miller's backup, and since they will not find another close to Miller's ability without drafting him on the first round, they are likely to go with Paulson and fill in from there until Miller is ready.

Losing their leading receiver for untold stretches to start the next season would be a setback under any circumstances. They're likely to lose another, Wallace. He went from Pro Bowl receiver to third on the team with 64 receptions and a career-low 13.1-yard average per catch. His contract holdout throughout the spring and preseason turned off some in the front office and the coaching staff.

Now he is an unrestricted free agent and it appears Wallace and the Steelers will part ways in March. They gave him their best offer last year, reportedly averaging $10 million annually over five years, and he turned it down. They stopped negotiating with Wallace once camp started and he did not show up, and quickly turned their attention to Brown. He signed a five-year contract for $42.5 million that included an $8.5 million signing bonus.

Essentially, Brown's contract signaled the end of Wallace's career in Pittsburgh.

So here is what they have left: Brown, Sanders and Jerricho Cotchery. That strike much fear into the Baltimore Ravens' secondary?

Brown, the team's MVP in 2011, became their MDP in 2012, most disappointing player. A Pro Bowl return man the previous season, he averaged just 6.8 yards on 27 punt returns and did not return a kickoff. He did finish second on the team with 66 receptions and scored five touchdowns, but his bobbles seemed more memorable.

With the Steelers ahead by seven in the fourth quarter in Dallas, Brown fumbled on a punt return at his 44. Not only did that ruin an excellent opportunity to go up by double figures, the Cowboys tied the game on that series. Brown also possibly cost the Steelers a victory in Oakland when, up 31-28, he caught a medium-range pass over the middle but was stripped of the ball at the Raiders 45 with 10:45 left in the game. He fumbled four times during the season, recovering one of his own for a TD in Oakland. He did not fumble at all in 2011.

Sanders, who enters the year as a restricted free agent, caught 44 passes for a team-high 14.2-yard average, but he, too, had problems with drops and injuries.

Even if Brown bounces back to 2011 form, the problem for the Steelers is that both he and Sanders have similar styles. Their strengths are their quickness and their ability to gain yards after the catch, but they are not going to cause defenses to worry about their deep routes. Cotchery is a good possession receiver.

What the Steelers need is to find another Wallace, someone with the kind of speed and ability that makes him a deep threat and will not permit the secondary to contract. They do not have that anywhere on their roster and it will be a priority for them. Since paying for a proven receiver in free agency is out of the question, they will have to locate one in the draft.

California's Keenan Allen is generally regarded as the best prospect, perhaps even a top-15 pick. He is 6-3, 210 and while he does not have Wallace-like speed, he has enough to get deep, especially for his size. He is mending from a left knee injury to the PCL.

Another likely first-round pick is Tennessee's Cordarrelle Patterson, who also is 6-3 and weighs 205. He's not as polished as Allen and has only 4.46 speed.

The only wide receiver the Steelers have drafted in the first round in the past dozen years was Santonio Holmes in 2006. They have shown a good ability to find them in the later rounds, and they may have to do it again in this year's draft.

No matter where they get him, they need to add a receiver who can get open deep, something every team in the NFL wants.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-sunday-spotlight-speed-kills-and-so-does-the-lack-of-it-673215/#ixzz2KBkrtXEc

Millers the sh!t
02-07-2013, 05:50 AM
NFL stats have Wallace recorded with 6 drops. That is tied for 13th in the AFC. There were another 20 players with 6 or more drops in the NFC. When it is all said and done there were more than 30 players who dropped the ball more than Wallace in 2012.

In Wallace's first 3 seasons he never dropped more than 4 passes in a year.

That 6 drop stat is bullshit. I've seen multiple games where Wallace dropped 2-3-4 balls alone. And those other player with 6 drops, how many passes did they have that season? Find me the drop %.

teegre
02-07-2013, 07:41 AM
That 6 drop stat is bullshit. I've seen multiple games where Wallace dropped 2-3-4 balls alone. And those other player with 6 drops, how many passes did they have that season? Find me the drop %.

They don't count passes that never touch his hands, but he didn't even try to catch... nor, passes he caught, but failed to get both feet in bounds.

But, we all know that while not "drops", they are incomplete.

Semantics.

wwhickok
02-07-2013, 08:45 AM

You're right on here. I don't care what his 'recorded drop' stat I actually watched the games. He had a lot more than 6 drops and even more passes where he gave next to no effort.:noidea:

harrison'samonster
02-07-2013, 08:57 AM
You're right on here. I don't care what his 'recorded drop' stat I actually watched the games. He had a lot more than 6 drops and even more passes where he gave next to no effort.:noidea:

I think he had what, 64 catches? I think he was targeted 118 times.

Brown was targeted something like 106 times and had 66 catches.

maddog78
02-07-2013, 09:15 AM
The Dolphins have the most cap space, so I expect Mike to take his talents to Souf Beach.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
02-07-2013, 09:57 AM
The Dolphins have the most cap space, so I expect Mike to take his talents to Souf Beach.

I hope he does cause we play Miami next season and I would love to watch Ike Taylor shut him down and just make him think how big of a mistake it was to leave Pittsburgh.

SteelersCanada
02-07-2013, 10:13 AM
He can run fast in straight lines. Do you know who else can run fast in straight lines? DeSean Jackson and the Eagles found out they overpaid for him too. He had a bad year this year and you can chalk it up to holding out or 'loss of focus and concentration' but ultimately, when he had to make big catches he couldn't do it with any kind of consistency. Great WRs are able to accomplish this and Mike, I'm sorry, you weren't able to.

I very much doubt he gets more than what we were willing to give him last year this offseason.

jacobo
02-07-2013, 10:41 AM
I hope he does cause we play Miami next season and I would love to watch Ike Taylor shut him down and just make him think how big of a mistake it was to leave Pittsburgh.

Oh man Ike would shit all over him

Steelers5895
02-07-2013, 10:52 AM
This issue we have with wallace and why we are down on him is he is one dimensional. That is fine, if you have someone else to compensate for that.

He takes the top off the defense. When we had Hines Ward he was able to take the top off the defense because we had ward and miller able to make the tough plays over the middle. Brown and Sanders arent that player. Sanders is more than Brown though.

So, they can take away the deep pass and dont get caught on any hitch patterns as they know he isnt going across the middle and he is not going to make the tough catch. he is small so if he does he is an easy tackle.

Lots of his big plays are off broken plays were Ben is scrambling and the DBs lose him and he is able to get deep.

I would like to keep wallace BUT we need a WR who can make the tough catch and is productive inside the 20. We have all burners, cant play to your strengths in teh red zone.

he is a valueable WR, not a #1 and NOT work 10 milllion a year.

aa14
02-07-2013, 11:24 AM
Losing Wallace is going to be a bigger loss than most people realize. His personality isn't very becoming but he was a major target for Ben. A huge wasted opportunity. Surprised he turned the offer down.

TRH
02-07-2013, 12:05 PM
Victor Cruz is yet another receiver who is better than Wallace whose contract is also up. But its looking like the Giants will actually end up coughing up the gazillions its going to take to re-sign him - leaving Wallace for high bidders.

Look for the Dolphins, Vikings, and Bengals to make possible offers to Wallace. Minnesota is the team i see getting their name thrown around the most. Even if he's really not worth it, one of the teams will pay him more than we would have.

LVSteelersfan
02-07-2013, 01:11 PM
Oh no.......Alex Smith will be throwing him the ball, for whatever good that will do him.

Why in the heck would San Francisco trade Alex Smith to a division rival? Ain't happening.

Hawaii 5-0
02-07-2013, 01:29 PM
What Did The Mike Wallace Holdout Prove To The Steelers Or His Free Agency Last Season?

February 6, 2013
By LG

Mike Wallace certainly didn’t do a lot to prove his case, did he? He wanted the same kind of money that Larry Fitzgerald was making. Wallace decided to hold out and play hard ball with the Rooney family. Then he comes into camp and has his second worst season since coming to the Steelers. Wallace caught 64 passes for 836 yards. I know what you’re thinking, he did catch 4 more passes than his 2010 season, but his yards were what I am talking about when I say his second worst season.

Wallace should have come into camp and went out and played like a warrior who couldn’t be stopped last season. He made a fool out of himself holding out for the kind of money he wanted. Then to have a mediocre season and not helping the Steelers the way he should have isn’t exactly speaking loud for his cause to make more money. If other teams were smart and you know they are, they would take a hard look at the way Wallace played for the Steelers in 2012.

He could have had a better season and he dropped a lot of passes that Mike Wallace would have caught earlier in his career. I am not saying Wallace is done in football. I am saying he still doesn’t deserve the kind of money he thinks he does. Wallace still has to prove himself. Wallace finished the 2012 season ranked 34th on the receiving list. That isn’t exactly placing him in the upper class of NFL receivers is it. He is 1,128 yards away form the top ranked receiver in the NFL and 514 yards away from being a top ten receiver.

Wallace proved one thing in the 2012 season. He proved he is for himself and not the team. If he was for his team he would have his butt into camp and produced the kind of season a winner produces. Wallace didn’t do that in 2012 and for a guy who is going to test the free agent market, he should have.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/what_did_the_mike_wallace_holdout_prove_to_the_ste elers_or_his_free_agency_last_season_that_he_is_ov erpaid/12855715

harrison'samonster
02-07-2013, 01:44 PM
Wallace didn't do himself any favors this season. I know some people still want to keep him, and I have no real issue with that.

However, if at that end of a season that would have brought him a big fat contract, if we have to ask if he's worth it or a #1 quality receiver, then there's a problem.

Bane
02-07-2013, 01:45 PM
I'm still aggravated that the Steelers didn't trade him while they still could. Surely someone would have dropped one or more decent picks for him.

harrison'samonster
02-07-2013, 01:47 PM
I'm still aggravated that the Steelers didn't trade him while they still could. Surely someone would have dropped one or more decent picks for him.

considering they offered him $10 million per year, I'm guessing they saw him as there #1 reciever for the next several years and didn't plan on him letting the team down.

welcome to the board by the way.

Bane
02-07-2013, 01:50 PM
Thank ya!

Yeah, they were probably hoping he'd cave. I think they're better off without him, and I hope they finally sign/draft a decent receiver above 6'1".

Steelers5895
02-07-2013, 01:51 PM
What Did The Mike Wallace Holdout Prove To The Steelers Or His Free Agency Last Season?

February 6, 2013
By LG

Mike Wallace certainly didn’t do a lot to prove his case, did he? He wanted the same kind of money that Larry Fitzgerald was making. Wallace decided to hold out and play hard ball with the Rooney family. Then he comes into camp and has his second worst season since coming to the Steelers. Wallace caught 64 passes for 836 yards. I know what you’re thinking, he did catch 4 more passes than his 2010 season, but his yards were what I am talking about when I say his second worst season.

Wallace should have come into camp and went out and played like a warrior who couldn’t be stopped last season. He made a fool out of himself holding out for the kind of money he wanted. Then to have a mediocre season and not helping the Steelers the way he should have isn’t exactly speaking loud for his cause to make more money. If other teams were smart and you know they are, they would take a hard look at the way Wallace played for the Steelers in 2012.

He could have had a better season and he dropped a lot of passes that Mike Wallace would have caught earlier in his career. I am not saying Wallace is done in football. I am saying he still doesn’t deserve the kind of money he thinks he does. Wallace still has to prove himself. Wallace finished the 2012 season ranked 34th on the receiving list. That isn’t exactly placing him in the upper class of NFL receivers is it. He is 1,128 yards away form the top ranked receiver in the NFL and 514 yards away from being a top ten receiver.

Wallace proved one thing in the 2012 season. He proved he is for himself and not the team. If he was for his team he would have his butt into camp and produced the kind of season a winner produces. Wallace didn’t do that in 2012 and for a guy who is going to test the free agent market, he should have.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/what_did_the_mike_wallace_holdout_prove_to_the_ste elers_or_his_free_agency_last_season_that_he_is_ov erpaid/12855715

this is exactly why a lot of steelers fan have soured on wallace. As I also said, he should have went " balls to the wall" this year and instead he played like a punk.

SteelersCanada
02-07-2013, 02:09 PM
Thank ya!

Yeah, they were probably hoping he'd cave. I think they're better off without him, and I hope they finally sign/draft a decent receiver above 6'1".

Shouldn't you be off causing mayhem and destruction? This time, preferably not at Heinz Field.

Welcome aboard.

Bane
02-07-2013, 02:14 PM
Shouldn't you be off causing mayhem and destruction? This time, preferably not at Heinz Field.

Welcome aboard.

Did you not see my work at the Superdome?! :chuckle:

And thanks! Glad to be here!

Hawaii 5-0
02-07-2013, 08:06 PM

that was very, very impressive! :chuckle:

Lady Steel
02-07-2013, 08:08 PM

And thanks! Glad to be here!

Love the user name. Welcome to Steelers Fever! :tt:

Hawaii 5-0
02-14-2013, 11:24 PM
Former Bears Johnny Knox validates concerns of almost-former Steelers Mike Wallace

By SteelCityRoller on Feb 14
Jonathan Daniel

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/8124585/135955376.0_standard_500.0.jpg

With a roster grown fat with aging defensive veterans and their championship-worthy salaries, the Steelers found themselves stretching the elasticity of the NFL salary cap Speedo teams are forced to perform within. The team was doing everything it could to keep itself together, hoping nothing unfortunate slipped out the sides along the way.

Like it or not, Mike Wallace had a point.

The Pittsburgh Steelers found themselves in a bind heading into 2012 as their top receiver watched his rookie contract expire giving the team the right to offer him a restricted free-agency tender, knowing their second and third receivers would be in the exact same position the following year; meaning the team would need to prepare itself for their impending unrestricted free-agencies.

Wallace, while not officially the leader on the depth chart, was definitely the production lead the previous two seasons, as the team found ways to use his unique speed to exploit aggressive defenses or provide a decoy to open zones for Hines Ward, Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown.

With a roster grown fat with aging defensive veterans and their championship-worthy salaries, the Steelers found themselves stretching the elasticity of the NFL salary cap Speedo teams are forced to perform within. The team was doing everything it could to keep itself together, hoping nothing unfortunate slipped out the sides along the way.

The team took the safe route and offered Wallace the maximum RFA tender level - $2.742 million - which would have required any team which might consider offering him a better deal to return a first-round draft pick as compensation, should he accept their offer and the Steelers decline to match. This would permit the team to delay any decisions until the following off-season (now) to negotiate new contracts, as they would have a better view of how to handle the well-paid ring bearers clinging onto hopes of one last trophy run.

Wallace, however, did not agree. He felt he had earned his spot as the team's top receiver for franchise QB Ben Roethlisberger, and wanted the team to offer him a long-term contract now. His insistence on immediacy stemmed from a fear of injury without a guaranteed future in the NFL. Had he suffered a career-changing injury while playing for his tender, he would have found a significant decline in his negotiating ranges. He even had no guarantee the Steelers would still want him should such a scenario degrade his natural, physical talents.

The team held firm to its decision, and Mike Wallace followed suit by refusing to sign the tender offered by the Steelers. He had little leverage to use a holdout as a negotiating tool. He was holding out to prove to the team how strongly he believed in his fear of a premature end to his NFL career, and how important it was to him to know he would be here long term, no matter what.

Fast-forward to 2013, and find reports of former Chicago Bears receiver Johnny Knox, who announced his retirement from the NFL due to injury, after a four year career.

Knox took his final hit as an NFL player against the Seattle Seahawks in December, 2011. He required spinal fusion surgery the following day, which forced him to miss the entire 2012 campaign. Even with constant rehabilitation, Knox is barely able to walk or stand without pain. Although his heart still has the desire to play, as reflected by his statement regarding playing again following his recent official release by Chicago; his body is no longer able or willing.

While the specifics of each situation do not mirror each other perfectly, the similarities between Knox and Wallace are undeniable. Knox would have played under the final year of his rookie contract in 2012. Knox reached the Pro Bowl his rookie season for special teams return performance. In 2010, he was the team's leading receiver, helping the Bears reach the NFC championship game; only to fall to the Green Bay Packers, who coincidentally went on to beat the Steelers in the Super Bowl.

Knox had performed well enough to warrant the team's consideration regarding a new contract to keep him in Chicago, once he reached the end of his rookie deal's obligations. Unfortunately, Knox never made it so far.

This is what Wallace was afraid of. His holdout had little to do with $2.742 million dollars not being enough money for playing a game for a living, or a deep resentment toward the team who showed him the most respect as far as draft selection. He wanted the long-term, secure contract he felt his statistics had earned.

Whether it is right for a player to put his own career's wants above the team's overall salary cap problems, or the career-wants of his teammates, is better reserved for a morals and values forum; but each NFL career has its own unpredictable shelf-life with only two certainties - it does have an end, and it's over before you know it.

In the end, Wallace escaped the 2012 season virtually unscathed and will enter free-agency without his health scribing stipulations; something Knox's career did not permit.. While Knox would have preferred to use such an opportunity to remain with his original team, Wallace seems intent on securing a contract which will prevent his career from being snuffed out unrewarded, like Knox's.

Knox should serve as a lesson to Wallace about being grateful for every opportunity you have to do something you may not be able to tomorrow, to players like Brown to play every day like there is no tomorrow, and to the league and team owners to continue to make the game safer and take care of those men whose lives are devastated and tossed aside after sacrificing their own health and well-being to support the league's very existence.

He should also serve as a reminder to fans to appreciate your favorite players while you have the opportunity, because they cannot play forever. Appreciate them while they're here, and what they give for the fans and the teams they worship.

They're always gone too soon.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/2/14/3987326/mike-wallace-free-agent-contract-johnny-knox-bears-retirement-injury

lardlad
02-16-2013, 03:10 PM
If the Rooney's didn't play close to the vest and handcuff Ben, Wallace would stay. And that meteor would never have struck Russia.

TheVet
02-16-2013, 07:49 PM
Former Bears Johnny Knox validates concerns of almost-former Steelers Mike Wallace

By SteelCityRoller on Feb 14
Jonathan Daniel

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/8124585/135955376.0_standard_500.0.jpg

Like it or not, Mike Wallace had a point.

The Pittsburgh Steelers found themselves in a bind heading into 2012 as their top receiver watched his rookie contract expire giving the team the right to offer him a restricted free-agency tender, knowing their second and third receivers would be in the exact same position the following year; meaning the team would need to prepare itself for their impending unrestricted free-agencies.

Wallace, while not officially the leader on the depth chart, was definitely the production lead the previous two seasons, as the team found ways to use his unique speed to exploit aggressive defenses or provide a decoy to open zones for Hines Ward, Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown.

The team took the safe route and offered Wallace the maximum RFA tender level - $2.742 million - which would have required any team which might consider offering him a better deal to return a first-round draft pick as compensation, should he accept their offer and the Steelers decline to match. This would permit the team to delay any decisions until the following off-season (now) to negotiate new contracts, as they would have a better view of how to handle the well-paid ring bearers clinging onto hopes of one last trophy run.

Wallace, however, did not agree. He felt he had earned his spot as the team's top receiver for franchise QB Ben Roethlisberger, and wanted the team to offer him a long-term contract now. His insistence on immediacy stemmed from a fear of injury without a guaranteed future in the NFL. Had he suffered a career-changing injury while playing for his tender, he would have found a significant decline in his negotiating ranges. He even had no guarantee the Steelers would still want him should such a scenario degrade his natural, physical talents.

The team held firm to its decision, and Mike Wallace followed suit by refusing to sign the tender offered by the Steelers. He had little leverage to use a holdout as a negotiating tool. He was holding out to prove to the team how strongly he believed in his fear of a premature end to his NFL career, and how important it was to him to know he would be here long term, no matter what.

Fast-forward to 2013, and find reports of former Chicago Bears receiver Johnny Knox, who announced his retirement from the NFL due to injury, after a four year career.

Knox took his final hit as an NFL player against the Seattle Seahawks in December, 2011. He required spinal fusion surgery the following day, which forced him to miss the entire 2012 campaign. Even with constant rehabilitation, Knox is barely able to walk or stand without pain. Although his heart still has the desire to play, as reflected by his statement regarding playing again following his recent official release by Chicago; his body is no longer able or willing.

While the specifics of each situation do not mirror each other perfectly, the similarities between Knox and Wallace are undeniable. Knox would have played under the final year of his rookie contract in 2012. Knox reached the Pro Bowl his rookie season for special teams return performance. In 2010, he was the team's leading receiver, helping the Bears reach the NFC championship game; only to fall to the Green Bay Packers, who coincidentally went on to beat the Steelers in the Super Bowl.

Knox had performed well enough to warrant the team's consideration regarding a new contract to keep him in Chicago, once he reached the end of his rookie deal's obligations. Unfortunately, Knox never made it so far.

This is what Wallace was afraid of. His holdout had little to do with $2.742 million dollars not being enough money for playing a game for a living, or a deep resentment toward the team who showed him the most respect as far as draft selection. He wanted the long-term, secure contract he felt his statistics had earned.

Whether it is right for a player to put his own career's wants above the team's overall salary cap problems, or the career-wants of his teammates, is better reserved for a morals and values forum; but each NFL career has its own unpredictable shelf-life with only two certainties - it does have an end, and it's over before you know it.

In the end, Wallace escaped the 2012 season virtually unscathed and will enter free-agency without his health scribing stipulations; something Knox's career did not permit.. While Knox would have preferred to use such an opportunity to remain with his original team, Wallace seems intent on securing a contract which will prevent his career from being snuffed out unrewarded, like Knox's.

Knox should serve as a lesson to Wallace about being grateful for every opportunity you have to do something you may not be able to tomorrow, to players like Brown to play every day like there is no tomorrow, and to the league and team owners to continue to make the game safer and take care of those men whose lives are devastated and tossed aside after sacrificing their own health and well-being to support the league's very existence.

He should also serve as a reminder to fans to appreciate your favorite players while you have the opportunity, because they cannot play forever. Appreciate them while they're here, and what they give for the fans and the teams they worship.

They're always gone too soon.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/2/14/3987326/mike-wallace-free-agent-contract-johnny-knox-bears-retirement-injury

Cool story, Johnny Daniel bro. :blah::blah::blah:

Except that you don't know what you're talking about, because the Steelers offered Wallace $10 m/year before finally tendering the RFA. But why let facts get in the way of a cool story?

Atlanta Dan
02-19-2013, 02:09 PM
Peter King indicates that if Wallace expects top dollar it will be with a bottom feeder team

It's going to be interesting to see which teams jump out for relatively young tackles, such as Brandon Albert of Kansas City, and wide receivers, such as Mike Wallace of Pittsburgh. Wallace, in particular, is facing an intriguing free-agency period because he took a risk in not re-signing with Pittsburgh for $7 million a season last year.

Though only 26, Wallace seems to be scaring off some teams with receiver needs because they perceive he is going to be asking for the moon. "I like Mike Wallace," said one general manager with a receiver need. "But I'm not paying him Vincent Jackson money. Not even close." Jackson, the former Charger, signed early in free agency with Tampa Bay last March for a contract averaging $11 million a year.

So I think you can look for a few players to get rich, particularly if they're willing to play in cash-rich places with losing histories like Cleveland.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130219/peter-king-nfl-franchise-tag/?sct=hp_t11_a6&eref=sihp

IowaSteeler927
02-20-2013, 04:44 AM
I hope we don't bring the cancerous Wallace back again. I'm tired of his Randy Moss-esque attitude and lack of effort. His skill set is speed and that's about it. He isn't a good enough blocker, he doesn't get open nearly enough, he's small and gets pushed around, and he has mediocre hands. I for one am tired of hm dragging ass and being a no show in big games. He can go to another team and they can deal with his crap.

teegre
02-20-2013, 08:16 AM
32 TDs in four seasons... which is fifth best during that time period.

harrison'samonster
02-20-2013, 08:50 AM

that is something we're going to need to replace if we want to be competitive. Especially if Miller isn't around at the beginning of the season. The Steelers are going to have to play it well to have a good start this season.

Atlanta Dan
02-20-2013, 08:52 AM

It is a what have you done for me lately league

Positions at which the Steelers declined in 2012, according to Pro Football Focus

Mike Wallace (No. 12 2011, No. 91 2012)

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3490040-74/2011-2012-position

Mike Wallace

2012 Grade: -4.5
2012 Snaps: 852

Summary: The wheels fell off the gravy train for Mike Wallace over the past twelve months. Holding out for a better deal last offseason, the Steelers elected to give his money to Antonio Brown instead and let him play out the year. In the new, more conservative offense, Wallace wasn’t half the threat he was in years past and his numbers took a major drop from 2010 and 2011. Wallace still has enough deep speed to scare any corner he comes up against, and may be able to run the top off a defense like no other receiver, but he has never developed the ability to run a complete route tree, and is limited by the number of routes he can effectively run.

That being said, teams value speed and game-breaking ability, and Wallace does have enough in his arsenal to be an effective weapon at all levels of the defense, even if he isn’t the most complete receiver on offer. Wallace may have lost out on the huge pay day he was gunning for, but he should still receive a healthy contract from a team that hasn’t been able to find that game-breaker.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/02/13/ranking-the-2013-free-agents-wide-receivers/

fer522
02-20-2013, 09:12 AM
Wallace is a home run hit but also a one trick pony and the good defenses take him out easy. Highest risk and medium reward for the occasional big play but when u need a first or need that corner end zone TD catch I don't see him making the catches sorry. :noidea:

teegre
02-20-2013, 09:21 AM
It is a what have you done for me lately league

Positions at which the Steelers declined in 2012, according to Pro Football Focus

Mike Wallace (No. 12 2011, No. 91 2012)

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3490040-74/2011-2012-position

Mike Wallace

2012 Grade: -4.5
2012 Snaps: 852

Summary: The wheels fell off the gravy train for Mike Wallace over the past twelve months. Holding out for a better deal last offseason, the Steelers elected to give his money to Antonio Brown instead and let him play out the year. In the new, more conservative offense, Wallace wasn’t half the threat he was in years past and his numbers took a major drop from 2010 and 2011. Wallace still has enough deep speed to scare any corner he comes up against, and may be able to run the top off a defense like no other receiver, but he has never developed the ability to run a complete route tree, and is limited by the number of routes he can effectively run.

That being said, teams value speed and game-breaking ability, and Wallace does have enough in his arsenal to be an effective weapon at all levels of the defense, even if he isn’t the most complete receiver on offer. Wallace may have lost out on the huge pay day he was gunning for, but he should still receive a healthy contract from a team that hasn’t been able to find that game-breaker.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/02/13/ranking-the-2013-free-agents-wide-receivers/

In a down year, he had 8 TDs.

Do not get me wrong: at times, I was screaming at the guy for dropping passes and/or not getting his feet in bounds... but, he still produced 8 TDs.

fer522
02-20-2013, 09:28 AM
In a down year, he had 8 TDs.

Do not get me wrong: at times, I was screaming at the guy for dropping passes and/or not getting his feet in bounds... but, he still produced 8 TDs.

Because he is Ben's FISRT read :doh:

teegre
02-20-2013, 09:48 AM
Because he is Ben's FISRT read :doh:

A lot of WRs have been the "first read", and did not produce as many TDs as Wallace did.

If not for his two drops (technically, one he did not get his feet down) in the end-zone, he would have had 10 TDs.

"One trick" or not... "complete" or not... attitude or not... he produced points.

VaDave
02-20-2013, 10:02 AM
That he did, but not $10 million dollars worth....... I've spent the last couple of weeks looking at last season ( I'm a bonified glutton for punishment), and a lot of drives stalled because of dropped passes. Wallace seems to have had his fair share. Obviously I don't expect them to catch them all, but when they are hit right between the numbers with nobody hanging on them, they got to make the catch. My blood pressure remaining at a safe level depends on it.

teegre
02-20-2013, 10:13 AM
That he did, but not $10 million dollars worth....... I've spent the last couple of weeks looking at last season ( I'm a bonified glutton for punishment), and a lot of drives stalled because of dropped passes. Wallace seems to have had his fair share. Obviously I don't expect them to catch them all, but when they are hit right between the numbers with nobody hanging on them, they got to make the catch. My blood pressure remaining at a safe level depends on it.

Trust me, I screamed his name and cursed his number many a drive. I remember one drive, on the sidelines, where he simply had to put both feet down... but, instead, took a HUUUGE step out of bounds, and ended the drive. WTF!?! Fitzgerald would have gotten five feet down.

Regardless, those TDs will be missed.

VaDave
02-20-2013, 10:29 AM
5 feet!!! LOL!!! ...

SteelersCanada
02-20-2013, 10:50 AM
And Ross is going to insist on overpaying for Mike which will ultimately come back and bite them in the ass because from what I've seen, Tannehill doesn't have a great deep ball. If there's one thing that has come out of this year for Wallace, it's that he can only run deep in straight lines. If Tannehill can't hit him deep, then Ross is going to be crucified for overpaying for him.

Atlanta Dan
02-20-2013, 10:51 AM
Trust me, I screamed his name and cursed his number many a drive. I remember one drive, on the sidelines, where he simply had to put both feet down... but, instead, took a HUUUGE step out of bounds, and ended the drive. WTF!?! Fitzgerald would have gotten five feet down.

Regardless, those TDs will be missed.

Agreed - but the Steelers made their investment in the WR position when they signed Brown - the $$ simply are not available to sign Wallace and he performed last year like someone who knew he was getting out (topped off by not playing the last game after the Steelers were eliminated)

There are all sorts of intrigues regarding how the WR position was utilized, such as why Montgomery resigned as WR coach to return to Duke. Bouchette of the P-G initially speculated Montgomery was encouraged to leave, but know speculates Montgomery wanted out because he did not like Haley's offense (another leak, this one involving a shot at a coach rather than a player - Tomlin needs to say that shit stops now at the first meeting this spring)

steelfury02
02-20-2013, 11:54 AM
Source: Miami to offer Wallace $60 million
http://communityvoices.post-gazette.com/sports/bob-smiziks-blog/item/35884-source-miami-to-offer-wallace-60-million

Source close to the situation says could be to the tune of $12 mil a year . . .

teegre
02-20-2013, 12:01 PM
Source: Miami to offer Wallace $60 million
http://communityvoices.post-gazette.com/sports/bob-smiziks-blog/item/35884-source-miami-to-offer-wallace-60-million

Source close to the situation says could be to the tune of $12 mil a year . . .

I'd like to see him stay, but if he does leave, at least it's not to the Taperiots or Ravens.

harrison'samonster
02-20-2013, 12:06 PM
We do play against Miami this year. Anybody think he'll get shut out or will he have a big game?

steelfury02
02-20-2013, 12:18 PM
We do play against Miami this year. Anybody think he'll get shut out or will he have a big game?

if he does go to Miami - its a home game for our guys - I'd say he has a chance to burst a short catch for a long TD run - but, that would be the extent of it.

I would relish the chance to see him get booed and creamed by our secondary

If we lose at home against Miami - we're in for a long season again.

Steel Peon
02-21-2013, 09:11 AM
If Tannehill can't hit him deep, then Ross is going to be crucified for overpaying for him.

We can only hope and pray for the worst. :coffee:

Hawaii 5-0
03-08-2013, 04:08 PM
Will the Pittsburgh Steelers Regret Letting Mike Wallace Test the Open Market?

March 7, 2013 by Dan Parzych

http://rantsports.media.s3.amazonaws.com/nfl/files/2013/03/Mike-Wallace2.jpg

As much as the Pittsburgh Steelers would like to bring back Mike Wallace for the 2013, it’s basically impossible at this point considering how much they’re already struggling to get under the salary cap. Of course, the main question that will most likely be in the back of their minds until the regular season gets under way–will they end up regretting the decision to not give Wallace a long-term deal last year when they had the chance?

Over the last three years, Wallace has proven to be one of the most dangerous and effective receivers in the NFL as he’s caught 196 passes for 3,286 yards and 26 touchdowns. Clearly, Wallace is the type of receiver that any team would be lucky to have and whatever team does end up signing him–it’s safe to say he’ll play a big impact when it comes to how well they perform during the 2013 season.

This is one of those unfortunate situations for Pittsburgh considering they would love to provide Wallace with the long-term deal he’s fought so hard for, but it’s just impossible to make happen at this point in the offseason. If the Steelers really wanted to keep him around for the long run, they would have put more of an effort to make sure he stuck a round for the long run last offseason when he was holding out of camp for a new contract.

Hopefully, the Steelers don’t look back at their situation and regret not signing Wallace when they had the chance. Otherwise, Pittsburgh’s passing game could be in for a long season in 2013.

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/03/07/will-the-pittsburgh-steelers-regret-letting-mike-wallace-test-the-open-market/?pfclStW5D3fO6KxA.99

FrancoLambert
03-08-2013, 04:34 PM
There's no doubt that at times we'll feel the loss of Wallace.

Whether you want him back or not his talent is proven.

But he's gonna be signed for big bucks.

Personal ego and management miscalculation got us here.

Pick up the pieces at WR and move on, Draft a replacement. Sign a FA.

VaDave
03-08-2013, 05:02 PM
I'm with you Franco. I'm fairly certain we will field a team this year......

sloppyjoe
03-08-2013, 05:35 PM
Will the Pittsburgh Steelers Regret Letting Mike Wallace Test the Open Market?

March 7, 2013 by Dan Parzych

http://rantsports.media.s3.amazonaws.com/nfl/files/2013/03/Mike-Wallace2.jpg

As much as the Pittsburgh Steelers would like to bring back Mike Wallace for the 2013, it’s basically impossible at this point considering how much they’re already struggling to get under the salary cap. Of course, the main question that will most likely be in the back of their minds until the regular season gets under way–will they end up regretting the decision to not give Wallace a long-term deal last year when they had the chance?

Over the last three years, Wallace has proven to be one of the most dangerous and effective receivers in the NFL as he’s caught 196 passes for 3,286 yards and 26 touchdowns. Clearly, Wallace is the type of receiver that any team would be lucky to have and whatever team does end up signing him–it’s safe to say he’ll play a big impact when it comes to how well they perform during the 2013 season.

This is one of those unfortunate situations for Pittsburgh considering they would love to provide Wallace with the long-term deal he’s fought so hard for, but it’s just impossible to make happen at this point in the offseason. If the Steelers really wanted to keep him around for the long run, they would have put more of an effort to make sure he stuck a round for the long run last offseason when he was holding out of camp for a new contract.
Hopefully, the Steelers don’t look back at their situation and regret not signing Wallace when they had the chance. Otherwise, Pittsburgh’s passing game could be in for a long season in 2013.

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/03/07/will-the-pittsburgh-steelers-regret-letting-mike-wallace-test-the-open-market/?pfclStW5D3fO6KxA.99

who's this douche?
what part of wallace turning down the offer and not wanting to be here doesnt he understand?

Hawaii 5-0
03-09-2013, 12:20 AM
New team for Mike Wallace by the weekend?

March 6th, 2013
Mark Kaboly | Tribune-Review

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/wp-content/uploads/sites/12/2013/03/mike-wallace.jpg

Even though free agency doesn’t start until 4 p.m. March 12, we very well could find out where Steelers free agent wide receiver Mike Wallace will land by this weekend.

The NFL added a three-day tampering window back in October that permits players, teams and agents to talk to one another before a potential free agent’s contract is up.

Now, it’s not like these meetings haven’t taken place in past years, but this year it will actually be legal under the new terms set forth by the NFL.

So, it is very possible that we could hear something about Wallace and where he will sign not long after 4 p.m. on Saturday even though it won’t become official until the beginning of the new football year March 12.

Speaking of Wallace, with the signing of Kansas City wide receiver Dwayne Bowe to a 5-year, $56 million deal the other day and when you take in account that Vincent Jackson got a deal just like that last year, look for Wallace to at least get the 5-years and $56 million (likely more) when he signs.

That might sound crazy to you, but not to former NFL executive Bill Polian.

Polian, who is most known for with his days as Buffalo’s GM during their first three Super Bowls and president of the Colts during the Peyton Manning era, thinks Wallace fits perfectly into the mold of what a high-priced free agent looks like.

” He is productive. He has great speed, which is always something that is desirable in a receiver,” Polian said. ” He falls within the reasonable age parameters and he hasn’t had a high history of injury When you look at all of the things that you use to try to decide whether or not you want to pursue a player, he checks every box with few question marks.”

Polian said there aren’t many red flags at all when it comes to Wallace.

“He’s a guy that most people will feel is pretty desirable but, again only the market will tell,” Polian said. ” This is in many ways like an IPO. There is a lot of discussion, there is a lot of analysis, but only the market will tell you whether it’s going to go or not.”

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2013/03/06/new-team-for-mike-wallace-by-the-weekend/#.UTdlyLyIXzg.twitter

Stu Pidasso
03-09-2013, 12:57 AM
The only thing Wallace was good for last year was tying up an extra defender so Heath and Antonio Brown could get open. Walace is a one trick pony (speedy post patterns) and will quickly be rendered useless to a dynamic defense.

pczach
03-09-2013, 07:08 AM
He did some great things while with the Steelers, but he's not worth that kind of money. I'll take my chances with a draft pick or two.

Hawaii 5-0
03-09-2013, 07:28 PM
Mike Wallace free agent rumors: Dolphins 'lead dog' to sign WR, per report

By Adam Stites on Mar 9 2013

The nice South Florida weather could be the reason that Mike Wallace chooses to join the Dolphins.

With multiple teams prepared to pay Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace plenty in free agency, the Miami Dolphins are the "lead dog" to acquire the receiver thanks to their warm climate, according to Alex Marvez of FOX Sports.

But the steamy climate where the Dolphins are based could be the tiebreaker as Wallace mulls where to play.

"He prefers warm weather," the source said.

Wallace, 26, was a third-round pick of the Steelers in the 2009 NFL Draft out of the University of Mississippi, and quickly made an impact on the team with 32 touchdowns in four seasons. The deep threat is consistently among the NFL's best in yards per reception, although his production dropped off some in 2012 with the absence of Ben Roethlisberger.

The Dolphins were content to trade away receiver Brandon Marshall during the 2012 offseason, but struggled to find a replacement for him in the passing game. While Brian Hartline accumulated 1,083 yards receiving, no wideout on the team managed to haul in more than one touchdown pass, and the lack of receiving threats made things difficult for rookie Ryan Tannehill.

Per Marvez, Wallace is expected to draw offers that would average between $11 and $12 million per season.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/3/9/4084454/mike-wallace-rumors-dolphins-nfl-free-agency/in/3847997

harrison'samonster
03-09-2013, 07:34 PM
I'm surprised we haven't heard where he's going yet. i'm guessing as time passes he's going to get more and more money. Doesn't seem worth it.

Stairway to 7
03-10-2013, 12:26 PM
He'll get paid and and toss it off, he showed his true colors already,. the Steelers were right about Santonio Homes who was better than Wallace on his day, and we'll be proven right about this sulking, whining, no effort andcan't catch bitch too.

steelfury02
03-10-2013, 12:29 PM
I'm surprised we haven't heard where he's going yet. i'm guessing as time passes he's going to get more and more money. Doesn't seem worth it.

he is traveling all over the place and buying six figure cars before he even gets his big pay day - can you say "T.O." -

I hope for Wallace's sake he learns how to save, but, he doesn't seem all that smart.

SteelersCanada
03-10-2013, 12:40 PM
he is traveling all over the place and buying six figure cars before he even gets his big pay day - can you say "T.O." -

I hope for Wallace's sake he learns how to save, but, he doesn't seem all that smart.

Wallace's attitude might be similar to TO but Owens in his prime was ridiculous. If he had 1/2 of the talent Owens had, he'd be resigned.

OX1947
03-10-2013, 12:43 PM
I cant wait for the 12th to get here so I can remove all memory of this clown off the steelers uniform.

Hawaii 5-0
03-10-2013, 06:30 PM
By Dan Pompei | National Football Post

For the next week or so, the NFL will be a wide receiver world.

So many have wide receiver envy. Among the teams who could make wide receiver moves include the Dolphins, Vikings, Patriots, Browns, Steelers, Rams, 49ers, Bears and Jets.

Wide receivers are expected to be the stars of free agency, 2013. They already have been the stars, and free agency hasn’t even begun yet. The Chiefs coughed up a reported $56 million over five years to prevent up and down Dwayne Bowe from becoming a free agent. And the Dolphins paid Brian Hartline, who has had one 1,000 yard receiving season, an average of more than $6 million per year to keep him off the market.

“I think Brian could have gotten more money if he went to free agency,” his agent Drew Rosenhaus told me. “But he wanted to stay in Miami, so he was comfortable with it. There will be a couple of free agents paid a No. 1 receiver’s salary. A few will get No. 2 money. And a lot will get No. 3 and No. 4 receiver deals. We wanted to get to the top of No. 2 wide receiver salary tier with Brian.”

Mike Wallace: catch him if you can.

The Hartline and Bowe contracts were just warmup pitches. Other wide receivers with expiring contracts who are in line for paydays include Mike Wallace of the Steelers, Greg Jennings of the Packers, Wes Welker of the Patriots, Danny Amendola of the Rams and Brandon Gibson of the Rams. There even has been talk that restricted free agent Victor Cruz of the Giants will get some play. If he does, he could be the highest paid of all.

Otherwise, Wallace is likely to sign the biggest contract of any non-quarterback of the offseason. He is this year’s Mario Williams.

But that’s what gives some teams pause. Mario Williams didn’t exactly light up Buffalo last year. And there is a string of wide receivers who signed big money free agent deals who disappointed. The lastest is Robert Meacham. In previous years, there were T.J. Houshmanzadeh, Javon Walker and Alvin Harper.

And Wallace is likely to be highly overpaid. Those who should know speculate his new deal will average more than $13 million per season. “There is no Vincent Jackson this year,” a personnel director for an NFC team said. “Mike Wallace is more of an outside vertical guy, but he doesn’t go inside much. He isn’t real strong run after catch. He’s pretty good at comebacks and hitches because defenders play off him since they have to respect his speed.”

With wide, receivers, it’s always buyer beware. Free agency isn’t a sure-fire way to acquire a wideout, though it often is a more reliable way to land one than the high rounds of the draft.

There are a number of issues specific to wide receivers that increase the risk factor. Including:

*Receivers who fit well in one system don’t always fit well in another. They are not interchangeable parts.

“Some guys only can play inside,” said an AFC pro personnel director. “Some are only Xs. Some aren’t smart enough to learn all three positions, especially if they are in a new system.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfp-sunday-blitz-093023787--nfl.html

Fire Haley
03-11-2013, 07:26 AM
I'm surprised we haven't heard where he's going yet. .

We know what the talking heads are saying...

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, the "league-wide expectation" is that free agent Mike Wallace will sign with the Dolphins.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/311080041578655744

TRH
03-11-2013, 08:52 AM
i would be shocked if it wasn't the Dolphins. Not only are they front-runners and have made it clear they're going after him - Wallace himself has said he enjoys the warm weather.

SteelersCanada
03-11-2013, 10:09 AM
Mike Wallace Reportedly Expected to Sign with Miami Dolphins

By
Alex Kay

Mike Wallace is one of the premier playmakers in the NFL, so it makes sense that the Miami Dolphins are going all-in to acquire the wide receiver’s services. In fact, it makes so much sense that it seems there is no one else even in the running for the free agent.

According to Ben Volin of The Palm Beach Post, Wallace to the Dolphins is now a “done deal,” even if the organization cannot officially sign the 26-year-old wide receiver until 4 p.m. ET on Tuesday.

This latest report fits the narrative that SI’s Peter King, ESPN’s Adam Schefter and USA Today’s Mike Garafolo have crafted, one which has connected league sources believing the former Pittsburgh Steeler is a lock to wind up in South Beach in 2013.

It’s going to cost the ‘Phins a pretty penny to add such an elite talent, but this team has to open their wallets if they are going to compete in the AFC East in the near future.

Considering Dwyane Bowe recently re-upped with the Kansas City Chiefs for five years and $56 million and Vincent Jackson signed a similar, five-year, $55 million contract in 2012, it should come as no surprise that Wallace is expected to be handsomely rewarded in the coming days.

It’s hard to argue against him deserving it, as the speedster just finished his fourth year in the NFL and was once again productive—despite the Steelers' struggles last season.

Wallace has career numbers of 235 receptions (on 404 targets), 4,042 yards and 32 touchdowns. He’s always a threat to score and often comes up with huge plays when the team needs them most.

The last time Miami broke the bank for a receiver was back in 2010, when the franchise splurged a tad over $47 million on Brandon Marshall—a player who was traded last spring to the Chicago Bears.

However, with Ryan Tannehill set to start for the second straight season, the front office has to surround him with potent receiving threats if he is going to develop into a franchise signal-caller.

The young quarterback performed admirably during a rocky rookie year and could be in line for a breakout 2013 campaign with a wideout like Wallace on the roster.

It’ll be interesting to see what happens in the next day or so, but don’t be surprised to see Mike Wallace ink a deal with the Miami Dolphins as soon as he is eligible on Tuesday.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1562126-mike-wallace-reportedly-expected-to-sign-with-miami-dolphins

steelfury02
03-11-2013, 10:17 AM
Mike Wallace Reportedly Expected to Sign with Miami Dolphins

By
Alex Kay

Mike Wallace is one of the premier playmakers in the NFL, so it makes sense that the Miami Dolphins are going all-in to acquire the wide receiver’s services. In fact, it makes so much sense that it seems there is no one else even in the running for the free agent.

According to Ben Volin of The Palm Beach Post, Wallace to the Dolphins is now a “done deal,” even if the organization cannot officially sign the 26-year-old wide receiver until 4 p.m. ET on Tuesday.

This latest report fits the narrative that SI’s Peter King, ESPN’s Adam Schefter and USA Today’s Mike Garafolo have crafted, one which has connected league sources believing the former Pittsburgh Steeler is a lock to wind up in South Beach in 2013.

It’s going to cost the ‘Phins a pretty penny to add such an elite talent, but this team has to open their wallets if they are going to compete in the AFC East in the near future.

Considering Dwyane Bowe recently re-upped with the Kansas City Chiefs for five years and $56 million and Vincent Jackson signed a similar, five-year, $55 million contract in 2012, it should come as no surprise that Wallace is expected to be handsomely rewarded in the coming days.

It’s hard to argue against him deserving it, as the speedster just finished his fourth year in the NFL and was once again productive—despite the Steelers' struggles last season.

Wallace has career numbers of 235 receptions (on 404 targets), 4,042 yards and 32 touchdowns. He’s always a threat to score and often comes up with huge plays when the team needs them most.

The last time Miami broke the bank for a receiver was back in 2010, when the franchise splurged a tad over $47 million on Brandon Marshall—a player who was traded last spring to the Chicago Bears.

However, with Ryan Tannehill set to start for the second straight season, the front office has to surround him with potent receiving threats if he is going to develop into a franchise signal-caller.

The young quarterback performed admirably during a rocky rookie year and could be in line for a breakout 2013 campaign with a wideout like Wallace on the roster.

It’ll be interesting to see what happens in the next day or so, but don’t be surprised to see Mike Wallace ink a deal with the Miami Dolphins as soon as he is eligible on Tuesday.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1562126-mike-wallace-reportedly-expected-to-sign-with-miami-dolphins

There's also a report that no one else was willing to shell out the big dough for Mikey - not a shocker really - the following article sites "a source" that getting Wallace is practically a "done deal." Enjoy it Mikey - you'll be in Siberia after Miami and then out of football - guaranteed. Best of luck :coffee:
Report: Dolphins have No Competition for Mike Wallace
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000149282/article/report-dolphins-have-no-competition-for-mike-wallace

VaDave
03-11-2013, 10:18 AM
At this point, I really don't care where he ends up. I'd love for him to stay, but since he more than likely isn't,,, NEXT!!

VaDave
03-11-2013, 10:19 AM
There's also a report that no one else was willing to shell out the big dough for Mikey - not a shocker really - the following article sites "a source" that getting Wallace is practically a "done deal." Enjoy it Mikey - you'll be in Siberia after Miami and then out of football - guaranteed. Best of luck :coffee:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000149282/article/report-dolphins-have-no-competition-for-mike-wallace

Siberia in Miami???? Expecting a cold front we don't know about????

Fire Haley
03-11-2013, 10:26 AM
Palm Beach Post reports it's a done deal...

of course they would

harrison'samonster
03-11-2013, 10:38 AM
Siberia in Miami???? Expecting a cold front we don't know about????

i think he means Wallace will fail in Miami then be banished to the NFL's "Siberia" aka Cleveland.

VaDave
03-11-2013, 12:06 PM
I think I got that one Harry!!! LOL!!!

TRH
03-11-2013, 12:18 PM

Hell - he doesn't care if and when he'll be out of football. He'll have a gazillion dollars and will live like a Powerball winner for the rest of his life (as long as he doesn't squander the money due to bad investments and such....).

SteelersCanada
03-11-2013, 12:19 PM
I love Wallace and wish him the best, but he really fucked this thing up for himself. He's going to a franchise that's in a transition period that has no hope of winning the AFC East title, let alone a legitimate shot at a Super Bowl. It's a shame he chose money over having the potential to win another title and keep young money together.

Good luck, Mike.

VaDave
03-11-2013, 12:25 PM
Hell - he doesn't care if and when he'll be out of football. He'll have a gazillion dollars and will live like a Powerball winner for the rest of his life (as long as he doesn't squander the money due to bad investments and such....).

One could say the same about a certain very large outside linebacker that shall remain nameless that's been playing like it

SteelersCanada
03-11-2013, 12:30 PM
One could say the same about a certain very large outside linebacker that shall remain nameless that's been playing like it

Are you a Hokies fan?

VaDave
03-11-2013, 12:39 PM
I may be the only resident of Virginia that isn't much of one. I'm also fending off NASCAR indoctrination too....

Actually, I'm a transplant from Pittsburgh, via Erie Pa about 17 years ago. I went to PSU, my brother is also a PSU grad, but really haven't been following them much, even less since the Sandusky thing blew up.

My brother's wife is an LSU grad so those games have now become mandatory viewing when televised.

SteelersCanada
03-11-2013, 12:44 PM
I may be the only resident of Virginia that isn't much of one. I'm also fending off NASCAR indoctrination too....

Actually, I'm a transplant from Pittsburgh, via Erie Pa about 17 years ago. I went to PSU, my brother is also a PSU grad, but really haven't been following them much, even less since the Sandusky thing blew up.

My brother's wife is an LSU grad so those games have now become mandatory viewing when televised.

Then you're useless to me! Jerk!

Kidding. Thanks, though, I had a quick question about a kid that is getting a lot of attention recently and wondered what people VT fans thought. If anyone is a Hokies fan that could provide some insight, I'd appreciate it.

Hawaii 5-0
03-11-2013, 03:51 PM
Talking Points: All signs point to Miami Dolphins landing WR Mike Wallace

by Ben Volin

All signs point to Dolphins landing Mike Wallace.

The Dolphins have made little secret of their desire to upgrade their receiver corps for next season and surround Ryan Tannehill with better weapons. And a lot of the talk has focused on Mike Wallace, who is the youngest (26), fastest and arguably the best receiver available in free agency.

The Dolphins can’t sign Wallace until 4 p.m. Tuesday, but all signs point to him landing in Miami, perhaps minutes after the new league year begins tomorrow. For example:

* There’s Sports Illustrated’s Peter King, stating this morning in his MMQB column that “Miami didn’t have much, if any, competition for a big-money deal ($11 million or more a year) for wide receiver Mike Wallace.”

* ESPN’s Adam Schefter tweeting this morning, “League-wide expectation is that WR Mike Wallace winds up in Miami with the Dolphins.”

* USA Today’s Mike Garafolo reporting that the Dolphins spent the weekend “courting receivers” and “the team expects to put forth an offer that will be in Wallace’s price range.” Garafolo also mentions St. Louis Rams WR Brandon Gibson as a target of the Dolphins, and this report jibes with our report from the Combine, that the Dolphins were active in meeting with several receivers two weeks ago.

Now we’ll add our own two cents: We hear from someone we trust that it’s a “done deal” that Wallace will be signing with Miami.

Assuming it does come to fruition, Wallace will be the Dolphins’ first big signing since 2010, when they traded for Brandon Marshall and gave him a $48 million contract, and signed LB Karlos Dansby and gave him $43 million.

Wallace, who has 32 touchdowns over four NFL seasons with Pittsburgh, would give the Dolphins the speedy deep threat they sorely lacked last season.

“He’ll translate well to that offense,” former longtime NFL executive Bill Polian said this morning on ESPN. “Brian Hartline is a possession receiver. Davone Bess is a possession receiver. They need Mike Wallace, or someone like him.”

And it appears that very soon, the Dolphins will have him.

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedailydolphin/2013/03/11/talking-points-all-sign-point-to-miami-dolphins-landing-wr-mike-wallace/

FrancoLambert
03-11-2013, 04:15 PM
I can see it now. :grin:

In about a year or two, the reality tv series, "Fast Money Hits South Beach." :screwy:

Fast cars, hot girls, and plenty of bling. :banana:

Lady Steel
03-11-2013, 06:38 PM
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/549822_10152629300120066_967170351_n.jpg

VaDave
03-11-2013, 07:00 PM
Then you're useless to me! Jerk!

Kidding. Thanks, though, I had a quick question about a kid that is getting a lot of attention recently and wondered what people VT fans thought. If anyone is a Hokies fan that could provide some insight, I'd appreciate it.

LOL!!!

I'm not a fan per se, but I might be able to help. Try me.

SteelersCanada
03-11-2013, 07:09 PM
LOL!!!

I'm not a fan per se, but I might be able to help. Try me.

What's your take on Marcus Davis?

VaDave
03-11-2013, 07:12 PM
Give me a minute while I check out the Hokieland express..... I'll give you the skinny tomorrow

VaDave
03-11-2013, 07:30 PM
I just looked at some film and stats and wow, he could be a 3rd- 4th round steal. He's got a bad rap about his technique IMO. Some of that was caused by the offensive system ( not one of my favorites) as well as some less than stellar QB play, but he needs some work to become first rate.

Reminds me of Plax a bit

SteelersCanada
03-11-2013, 07:33 PM
Give me a minute while I check out the Hokieland express..... I'll give you the skinny tomorrow

Appreciate it man! I've been hearing a lot about this kid and I was wondering what the deal was from a Hokies fan.

Steeldude
03-12-2013, 01:34 AM
Appreciate it man! I've been hearing a lot about this kid and I was wondering what the deal was from a Hokies fan.

Here is what NFL.com says on Marcus Davis

Strengths:
Possesses prototypical size and speed combination to be an outside NFL starter. Smooth runner off the line and turns on a second gear downfield that allows him to separate. His size overwhelms smaller cornerbacks, can fight through their advances and go over the top to take away the jump ball. Uses his body to shield corners on slants. Flashes the footwork to stop and separate on out routes after pushing his man upfield. Good concentration to track the ball over his shoulder on deep balls. Can be a bullish runner after the catch, also capable of spinning away from tackles after a stop route then turn on the jets. Has the size and length to dominate corners in the run game.

Weaknesses:
Still learning the position, must take advantage of increased opportunities and experience as a senior and show scouts he can handle the complexity of NFL offenses. Body-catches passes thrown into his frame. Want-to as a blocker is severly lacking. Does not attack targets or lock onto smaller defenders often enough, will throw a shoulder instead of using his hands. Has lapses in concentration. Must consistently run out his routes, even when he knows he’s not the primary target.

Bottom Line:
This former quarterback has an elite combination of size and speed, but has only flashed those skills. Davis' combine performance could considerably boost his draft stock, even though he isn't overly refined as a receiver at this point. Even though he lacks in various aspects of the game, it's hard to imagine a team not taking a chance on him in the middle rounds.

Hawaii 5-0
03-25-2013, 01:00 AM
omg, we didn't have even one Mike Wallace thread going...:chuckle:

How Mike Wallace changes everything

by Dan Pompei

Of all the players who have changed teams so far this offseason, the one who has the potential to affect two offenses the most is Mike Wallace.

The old Steeler and the new Dolphin wide receiver might not be the most productive acquisition in the NFL next year. But if he is healthy, he is almost certain to have a major impact on the way the Dolphins do their offensive business. And his absence is certain to affect the Steelers.

With 4.33 40-yard dash speed, Wallace changes the way defenses approach him, and that impacts everyone around him. “Mike is as good a deep threat as there is in the league,” Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert told me. “There always is a threat of him getting deep on any play.”

If a defense treats Wallace like it treats other receivers, it risks giving up a quick six.

These are some of the ways Wallace tilts the field:

*He forces coverages to change.

“You have to change up a lot of techniques in the way you cover him,” Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer told me. “The bump and run changes.”

Defenses might double him. They might rotate a safety his way, or a linebacker underneath. They could cheat the zones to his side of the field.

'Phins coach Joe Philbin is looking forward to finding ways to utilize Mike Wallace.

Many defensive coordinators like to disrupt a speed receiver at the line. But in order to do that, you usually need help over the top. “Our hope would be at times, we may get tilted coverage, a rotation that way,” Dolphins coach Joe Philbin told me. “It makes it a little difficult to get him the ball, but maybe opens up other aspects of the offense, be it receivers on the other side or the running game. The resources potentially devoted to stopping a real speed guy may open up some other things for us.”

*He could declare defenses to declare sooner.

If a safety waits until the last second to rotate to Wallace, he might be too late. An early declaration would be a significant advantage for young quarterback Ryan Tannehill. “If he displays good production, hopefully it makes defenses more predictable,” Philbin said.

*He could force defenses to pressure less, or at least pressure in fewer ways.

“You have to try to have pressures where you are leaning the safety that way,” Zimmer said. “It usually takes one more guy out of the pressures when you are going against a guy like him. Some of the two deep pressures you are going to be pushing him a little more with the coverage off of it.”

*He will make safeties be more hesitant about firing up into the box on play action, and he will discourage eight man boxes.

“Any time you have a deep threat, defenses are less inclined to pull the safety up,” Colbert said.

And that is significant for the Dolphins, who finished 17th in the NFL in rushing yards and lost leading rusher Reggie Bush. His apparent replacement Lamar Miller had 250 rushing yards last year.

“Teams last year were not afraid to overload the box, which makes it more challenging,” Philbin said. “I’m sure we’ll get some of that still, but maybe less. And maybe we can take advantage of it when we do see it.”

The Steelers, meanwhile, will likely have to find other ways to skin the cat. It is not easy to recreate what a player like Wallace can do.

“It depends on who we employ Maybe we replace Mike Wallace with a guy who has Mike Wallace type speed and the change schematically might be minimal,” Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said. “We might replace him with a different animal that has a different skill set that requires a different response.”

Dolphins defensive coordinator Kevin Coyle, a former Bengals assistant, told Philbin that Wallace would force opposing defensive coaches to meet longer and consider more possibilities.

Wallace’s presence will challenge Dolphins’ opponents. And his absence will relieve Steelers’ opponents.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFP-Sunday-Blitz-7873.html

MACH1
03-25-2013, 07:48 PM
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/601084_603462746348393_494562935_n.jpg

Hawaii 5-0
03-28-2013, 02:06 PM
With the 17th pick in the SB Nation Bloggers Mock Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers select WR Cordarrelle Patterson

By Neal Coolong on Mar 28 2013
USA TODAY Sports

The Steelers selected Tennessee WR Cordarrelle Patterson in SB Nation's Bloggers Mock Draft.

As soon as the Triangle of Authority heard St. Louis select Tavon Austin, all three raised their arms in the air, and yelled in excitement.

"We are beyond excited to have had Cordarrelle fall to us," Triangle member Steelers34D said after the pick was announced. "He was very high on our board, and while we thought we may have had a shot at him, we felt there was a very strong chance he would be gone."

Thirty-Four said fellow Triangle member Neal Coolong was unavailable for comment immediately after the pick because he was getting on the phone with random people in the Miami area, and was heard yelling "SIXTY MILLION?!? A HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!" This could be a reference to the Dolphins signing former Steelers WR Mike Wallace to a $60 million contract this offseason.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/3/28/4157078/steelers-cordarrelle-patterson-nfl-2013-draft

TheVet
03-28-2013, 05:41 PM
I just had a chilling thought - this thread might never die!

teegre
03-28-2013, 06:17 PM
I just had a chilling thought - this thread might never die!

True... very, very true.