PDA

View Full Version : If the Steelers put Ben on the trading block....

MeanGee2047
02-05-2013, 10:52 AM
what do you think teams would offer for him realistically? He's got two or three good years left due to the way he plays...should we just blow it up now? Should we wait 3 years to groom a new QB? Colbert is in the hot seat and he's been missing more than hitting in the draft. Want to know what steeler nation thinks...

harrison'samonster
02-05-2013, 11:05 AM
personally I think you're jumping the gun a bit early. What would we get for him? Depends how much a team needs him. Losing BB and taking a chance on finding another QB who can be as good would be a mistake.

wwhickok
02-05-2013, 11:09 AM
IF we put Ben in the block, Arizona, Arians, would give a 1st, 3rd, and 2014 2nd for him. You can take that to the bank.

Edit: I do NOT think that we should entertain the idea of trading Ben...at all...

As far as Colbert being on the hot seat, I'm not sure I agree with that.

desertsteel
02-05-2013, 11:10 AM
We should trade Ben just as soon as the Patriots trade Tom Brady...

desertsteel
02-05-2013, 11:13 AM
IF we put Ben in the block, Arizona, Arians, would give a 1st, 3rd, and 2014 2nd for him. You can take that to the bank.

Arians would give up 2 first-round picks and an assortment of thirds and fourths to get Ben. And I think that Ben would gladly go to play for Arians.

But the Steelers won't trade Ben, or even consider it; nor should they.

JeromeBetties63
02-05-2013, 11:25 AM
what do you think teams would offer for him realistically? He's got two or three good years left due to the way he plays...should we just blow it up now? Should we wait 3 years to groom a new QB? Colbert is in the hot seat and he's been missing more than hitting in the draft. Want to know what steeler nation thinks...

I vote we put you on the fan trading block. Maybe we could get the Bills to give us a six pack and a bag of chips for you.

Gnutella
02-05-2013, 11:30 AM
If Bronco fans were yinzers, they would have wanted John Elway gone by 1992.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
02-05-2013, 11:30 AM
If anyone who wants to trade Big Ben please never root for the Steelers again, If it wasn't for him we wouldn't have been to 3 super bowls and winning 2...I swear some of y'all need a helmet he is a FRANCHISE QB you just don't trade a QB that gives you a chance to go to the super bowl every year.

But if anyone wants to make my day please tell me who you would trade Ben for...

JeromeBetties63
02-05-2013, 11:32 AM
If anyone who wants to trade Big Ben please never root for the Steelers again, If it wasn't for him we wouldn't have been to 3 super bowls and winning 2...I swear some of y'all need a helmet he is a FRANCHISE QB you just don't trade a QB that gives you a chance to go to the super bowl every year.

But if anyone wants to make my day please tell me who you would trade Ben for...

Jesus. :chuckle:

RavensD
02-05-2013, 11:42 AM
Why in the world would you consider trading Ben, of all people?

1. He's kinda good.
2. Who replaces him (this draft class isn't very strong, and FA won't be teeming with franchise QBs)
3. Just no

JeromeBetties63
02-05-2013, 11:45 AM

1. He's kinda good.
2. Who replaces him (this draft class isn't very strong, and FA won't be teeming with franchise QBs)
3. Just no

Why aren't you watching the parade? Fans who would rather troll another team web site than celebrate a SB are angry little people who need help. It's supposed to be fun, bro. Not about angry revenge....oh, and your post is worthless. :toofunny:

SteelersCanada
02-05-2013, 11:45 AM
Realistically? We'd be getting multiple first round picks as well as multiple second / third round picks. To say otherwise is ignorant - look at what the Raiders gave up for Palmer. Now, imagine what a team would trade for a legitimate Quarterback with two rings.

I could see (in bizarro world) the Chiefs doing something like this:

To Steelers

2013 First Round Pick
2013 Second Round Pick
2014 First Round Pick
2014 Third Round Pick

To Chiefs

Ben Roethlisberger
2014 Fourth Round Pick

wwhickok
02-05-2013, 11:47 AM

1. He's kinda good.
3. Just no

Why are you still talking?

RavensD
02-05-2013, 11:52 AM
Why are you still talking?

Who are you? What are you talking about?

RavensD
02-05-2013, 11:54 AM
Why aren't you watching the parade? Fans who would rather troll another team web site than celebrate a SB are angry little people who need help. It's supposed to be fun, bro. Not about angry revenge....oh, and your post is worthless. :toofunny:

How am I trolling? I think it's a terrible idea to trade Ben. If I say it's a fantastic idea, does that mean it was a worthwhile post?

kent
02-05-2013, 11:55 AM
Why in the hell would we trade Ben. He was having an MVP caliber year before the injuries. He is entering the "prime" of his career. Its funny how one 8-8 year separates real fans and front runners.

VaDave
02-05-2013, 11:56 AM
How am I trolling? I think it's a terrible idea to trade Ben. If I say it's a fantastic idea, does that mean it was a worthwhile post?

Right comment, wrong place and time......LOL. BTW, congrats. You're boys did well.

GMU Steeler
02-05-2013, 11:57 AM
How is Colbert on the hot seat for that matter too? You do know he was just extended last year. Anyhow, I don't know what we'd get for him. I think in two-three years you draft a successor. Wouldn't mind going with a gamble/developmental project this year in round 4-6.

wwhickok
02-05-2013, 12:00 PM
Who are you? What are you talking about?

Im A STEELERS FAN. You know...the team that still owns your a**es in the playoffs!

fansince'76
02-05-2013, 12:01 PM

It's just another manifestation of the typical knee-jerk overreaction that follows a disappointing season. Got a whole offseason of this coming. People want to tear the whole house down because the faucet leaks.

JeromeBetties63
02-05-2013, 12:06 PM
It's just another manifestation of the typical knee-jerk overreaction that follows a disappointing season. Got a whole offseason of this coming. People want to tear the whole house down because the faucet leaks.

Or a misreading of the post by both of you....the Ravens troll is just being an arse, thats all.

steelfury02
02-05-2013, 12:07 PM
I woke up yesterday morning and asked my wife if this was Bizzarro World? Did the Ravens win the SB and is Joe Flunko actually a SB MVP?

Unfortunately, her response was "Yes Dear, I'm afraid so."

That was the end of my pain. Seriously Steelers fans, take a deep breathe and say the Ravens are reigning SB champs and be done with it already. They've had to do it twice in the past 7 years when we won and didn't ask for Flacco's head - just effing cool it with the what if's and why couldn't we's.

Tomlin is staying. Arians isn't coming back. Ben, who I have harped on since the last week of the season, is in fact a fantastic QB and in all realities both ours and alternate - he has a great shot of taking us back to the promised land - equally if not more possible with him than without him. Brees, Rogers, Manning, Brady, Manning are all sitting at home without a ring.

BOBBY BROWN SAYS TO COOL IT NOOOOOOW.

RavensD
02-05-2013, 12:08 PM
Im A STEELERS FAN. You know...the team that still owns your a**es in the playoffs!

I see that you are as classy as you are beautiful
:pig:

Anyway, as an outsider looking in, I wish the Steelers would trade Ben. If that happened, it would be a one-horse race in the AFCN.
Unfortunately for us, the Steelers FO aren't that crazy ...

JeromeBetties63
02-05-2013, 12:09 PM

1. He's kinda good.
3. Just no

He's kinda good in the same way that you are kind of a d**k.

wwhickok
02-05-2013, 12:10 PM

Anyway, as an outsider looking in, I wish the Steelers would trade Ben. If that happened, it would be a one-horse race in the AFCN.

In all seriousness Im just razzing you despite my belief that youre other thread..you know what im talking about.. was insane.

I hate the Ravens...Im a Steeler fan but I respect them.

‹<<<<<FyI I am the guy in the photo; I know my wife is beautiful.

When it comes to.classy you'll actually be hard pressed to find someone classier, people will realize that as they become more familiar with.me as a poster. But Dellusional fans, Steelers, Ravens, or whatever team, tend to irk me.

steelfury02
02-05-2013, 12:13 PM

Dude - don't you have a SB victory to enjoy? Would you like to invite all of Steelers Fevers members to the parade and ask us if we can vouch to the credibility of your 2nd championship and the passion of your fanbase?

Let it go already - you aren't a Steeler fan as much as all of you and your purple fans try to be one. We didn't even make the playoffs and all of you are looking to us to comment.

At this rate you'll have to wait 24 years instead of 12 for your 3rd championship - get over us already - leave us the hell alone.

Gnutella
02-05-2013, 12:14 PM
Why in the hell would we trade Ben. He was having an MVP caliber year before the injuries. He is entering the "prime" of his career. Its funny how one 8-8 year separates real fans and front runners.

Because our fan base is a bunch of fucking ungrateful assholes.

Hawaii 5-0
02-05-2013, 12:16 PM
the Steelers will put Ben on the trading block when:

http://www.lrionline.com/wp-content/uploads/4287_2144_hell-freezes-over.jpeg

StainlessStill
02-05-2013, 01:31 PM
Insufferable.

Blackout
02-05-2013, 01:43 PM
Let's trade Ben for Kevin Kolb!

Best idea ever!!

Terminator
02-05-2013, 01:54 PM
We can't afford anyone in the free agency, nor is there anyone better than him available.

Ben has AT MINIMUM 2-3 years left with Pittsburgh.

Unless he almost kills himself again.

WVABE
02-05-2013, 02:29 PM
Big Ben for Joe Flacco,

what--- he's elite now, right!

:rofl:

:hatsoff:

fer522
02-05-2013, 02:47 PM
Big Ben for Joe Flacco,

what--- he's elite now, right!

:rofl:

:hatsoff:

Flacco almost made it to the super bowl Last year while tebow kicked our ass and he just was the super bowl MVP and we didn't even make the playoffs lets take our steelers glasses off already :noidea:

SteelersCanada
02-05-2013, 02:50 PM
Flacco almost made it to the super bowl Last year while tebow kicked our ass and he just was the super bowl MVP and we didn't even make the playoffs lets take our steelers glasses off already :noidea:

Tom Brady lost to Kevin Kolb earlier this year at home. Take the Patriot glasses off?

GoFor7
02-05-2013, 03:03 PM

Actually it's not even so much they want a complete rebuild, they just want to blame the most visible player - the quarterback. Nevermind his WRs were world-class chokers or that the team doesn't embrace football for how it is today rather than what it was in the old days.

Now that hockey is back, they do the same thing with Fleury. Blame everything on him. Nevermind the guys in front of him had their heads up their asses against the Maple Leafs and Islanders. In hockey, the goalie is the most visible guy. Interesting correlation isn't it?

sw04ca
02-05-2013, 03:03 PM
Then the Steelers would be crazy. The league is driven by offence from the QB position, and you never, ever discard a proven franchise QB when you're looking at Byron Leftwich and Grandpa Batch as your future. For the Steelers to return to their winning ways, they need to protect a QB, not blow up the franchise and go into rebuild mode. The Steelers aren't irrelevant yet, and the AFC North is totally in play next year with the Bengals being the Bengals and the Ravens about to get ripped apart by free agency.

Curtain_of_Steel
02-05-2013, 03:13 PM
We do have Charlie Batch. So why is everyone worried?lol

Fing ridiculous thread, lol

Millers the sh!t
02-05-2013, 03:13 PM
Jesus. :chuckle:

You mean Tebow?

pczach
02-05-2013, 03:15 PM

What a dickhead....

Where do you get off with a comment like that asshole?

Get lost you classless moron..:mad:

OX1947
02-05-2013, 03:20 PM
Regardless of what you think Big Ben is, bottom line, if he isnt playing, he is worthless to this team. So, he needs to make a decision whether he wants to play in the playoffs healthy. QBs are not like linemen and linebacker or DBs, they are protected and if smart, can go through a season without a major issue with injuries. Ben needs to make up his mind whether he can focus on the big picture, and not one play, against the (bleep) 2-14 teams in the 2nd quarter of a game on a worthless play and get hurt.

sw04ca
02-05-2013, 03:47 PM
That goes both ways though. The Steelers need to do something to reduce the beating he takes all year long. Ben's style is to hang in there and be tough, but he's no Mike Vick.

OX1947
02-05-2013, 03:51 PM
That goes both ways though. The Steelers need to do something to reduce the beating he takes all year long. Ben's style is to hang in there and be tough, but he's no Mike Vick.

Ben's injuries are always outside the pocket.

FrancoLambert
02-05-2013, 04:03 PM
Tom Brady lost to Kevin Kolb earlier this year at home. Take the Patriot glasses off?

Colored glasses usually cloud your vision.
However, 11 TD's and no INT's during a successful playoff run is crystal clear no matter what color your glasses are.

JackH
02-05-2013, 04:25 PM
When I hear somebody suggest the possibility of trading Ben, I recall that 20-year stretch when we had guys like Mark Malone, Bubby Brister, Neil O'Donnell, Kordell Stewart, and Tommy Maddox at QB. And no Lombardi Trophies.

We had four with Bradshaw and two so far with Ben. I like the chances of winning one or two more with Ben.

vasteeler
02-05-2013, 05:24 PM
did i miss something??? why are you guys all over RavensD? he didnt say anything out of line that i saw. if anything he seemed to be giving ben props:noidea:

MeanGee2047
02-05-2013, 05:57 PM
I vote we put you on the fan trading block. Maybe we could get the Bills to give us a six pack and a bag of chips for you.

I asked for Steeler fans thoughts...not a smart ass comment...I wanted to know what other people on this forum would think if they really did put him on the block. I raised the question because I hear other fans talk about the possibility and I have seen in print and heard from other people that Colbert is on the hot seat. Like it or not his drafts have been so so at best. One or 2 beast players a year does not make a successful draft.

zcoop
02-05-2013, 06:03 PM
Colored glasses usually cloud your vision.
However, 11 TD's and no INT's during a successful playoff run is crystal clear no matter what color your glasses are.

Yep, gotta give credit where it is due. That guy had a damn good run in the post season this year.

Gnutella
02-05-2013, 06:46 PM

Except this season, when he was injured inside the pocket.

I asked for Steeler fans thoughts...

How cruel of you. Some of our fellow fans might hurt themselves.

casteeler
02-05-2013, 07:28 PM

His last injury was between the tackles vs the Chiefs. The combination of his playing style,and the offensive line crumbling every time you turn around I don't know what to expect. I think people are unrealistic expecting Ben to be around more than 2 more seasons, Ben was drafted in 2004 (nearly 10 years ago) Ben won't be worth a sh*% in 3 seasons as far as trade bait but I'm NOT suggesting Trading Ben. This team and its fans need to start preparing themselves for the fact that its necessary to find a QB that will eventually take Bens spot.

aa14
02-05-2013, 07:38 PM
I am almost certain that they are already considering the exit strategy /w Ben and are considering who they can draft next. In a few years it's going to be difficult to continue to compete /w Dalton, not to mention Flacco. Ben is still capable of putting up a good fight in games but he hasn't been healthy and is the oldest QB in the division. The defense is getting old but QB and OL need to be a priority come draft time.

OX1947
02-05-2013, 07:51 PM
Except this season, when he was injured inside the pocket.

How cruel of you. Some of our fellow fans might hurt themselves.

No.

scottcurtis
02-05-2013, 08:21 PM
Arians would give up 2 first-round picks and an assortment of thirds and fourths to get Ben. And I think that Ben would gladly go to play for Arians.

But the Steelers won't trade Ben, or even consider it; nor should they.

I disagree completely ...Arians would take Luck before Ben....much more upside.

jacobo
02-05-2013, 08:25 PM

This isn't about Luck though.

vindrow
02-05-2013, 08:26 PM
(clicking my heels together)

I wish off season was over

(opens eyes)

Damn:banging:

sw04ca
02-05-2013, 08:26 PM
Well, they're going to have to address QB at some point, but I don't think that Ben is done by a mile. He's still got a strong arm and generally makes pretty good decisions with the ball. If Manning can play like he did last season, there's no reason Ben can't.

fansince'76
02-05-2013, 08:28 PM
I raised the question because I hear other fans talk about the possibility and I have seen in print and heard from other people that Colbert is on the hot seat.

Funny, I haven't heard that or read it anywhere. Care to provide a link?

Like it or not his drafts have been so so at best. One or 2 beast players a year does not make a successful draft.

So how many "beast" players is he supposed to hit on per year? Six? Seven? :rolleyes:

For as inactive as the Steelers are in FA, they better damn well be doing a decent job in the draft. Three Super Bowl trips in seven years with two wins suggests they are.

scottcurtis
02-05-2013, 08:28 PM
This isn't about Luck though.

My point is he took the Colts to the playoffs with a shit team and a great rookie qb. Arians wouldnt want Ben.

jacobo
02-05-2013, 08:34 PM
My point is he took the Colts to the playoffs with a shit team and a great rookie qb. Arians wouldnt want Ben.

But Luck was the most talented qb to come out of college in forever. There's no chance they get someone like him in Arizona. If Ben was on the trading block they would go after him like nothing else. Good defense with a mediocre offense and Ben as the qb? Sounds like Arians' job here.

fansince'76
02-05-2013, 08:40 PM
Or a misreading of the post by both of you....the Ravens troll is just being an arse, thats all.

That guy isn't a troll. This assclown, however, is:

I am almost certain that they are already considering the exit strategy /w Ben and are considering who they can draft next. In a few years it's going to be difficult to continue to compete /w Dalton, not to mention Flacco. Ben is still capable of putting up a good fight in games but he hasn't been healthy and is the oldest QB in the division. The defense is getting old but QB and OL need to be a priority come draft time.

scottcurtis
02-05-2013, 08:43 PM
But Luck was the most talented qb to come out of college in forever. There's no chance they get someone like him in Arizona. If Ben was on the trading block they would go after him like nothing else. Good defense with a mediocre offense and Ben as the qb? Sounds like Arians' job here.

Right !same type team as Steelers right ? Where did Ben take them this year ? Watching HarBowl from couch ! Remember ?

jacobo
02-05-2013, 08:48 PM
Right !same type team as Steelers right ? Where did Ben take them this year ? Watching HarBowl from couch ! Remember ?

I seem to remember the most important guy on the team getting hurt right when the schedule was getting tough and being rushed back while also going through being a new father.

But you seem to forget that Arians was with a guy who went 1-2 in Superbowls and competing practically every year despite relatively poor play from the rest of the offense.

Gnutella
02-05-2013, 08:48 PM
No.

Yes.

Here he is, lined up on the right hash mark:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/Pittsburgh%20PA/Righthashmark_zpsc8508b02.jpg

"Aww shit, I just get done with my dropback and I already have pressure coming from the left! I better step up to keep the play alive!"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/Pittsburgh%20PA/Pressurefromleft_zps0767555f.jpg

With a stopwatch, I timed 1.7 seconds between the snap of the ball and Roethlisberger having to step up to avoid Tamba Hali. No, he couldn't deliver it to Heath Miller at this moment because he either would have been hit as he threw the ball or had his pass tipped by Allen Bailey near the line of scrimmage.

"Fuck, nobody's open and I only have two blockers for three defenders! I better just eat the ball!"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/Pittsburgh%20PA/Sackedinthepocket_zps8377276d.jpg

Notice where Roethlisberger is as he's getting sacked: between the hashmarks. Roethlisberger never left the pocket on the play. No, he couldn't have delivered it to Miller earlier, because Miller was blanketed by Eric Berry the moment he started running across the field. You can see both their feet near the top-left corner of the image.

scottcurtis
02-05-2013, 09:02 PM
Yes.

Here he is, lined up on the right hash mark:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/Pittsburgh%20PA/Righthashmark_zpsc8508b02.jpg

"Aww shit, I just get done with my dropback and I already have pressure coming from the left! I better step up to keep the play alive!"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/Pittsburgh%20PA/Pressurefromleft_zps0767555f.jpg

With a stopwatch, I timed 1.7 seconds between the snap of the ball and Roethlisberger having to step up to avoid Tamba Hali. No, he couldn't deliver it to Heath Miller at this moment because he either would have been hit as he threw the ball or had his pass tipped by Allen Bailey near the line of scrimmage.

"Fuck, nobody's open and I only have two blockers for three defenders! I better just eat the ball!"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/Pittsburgh%20PA/Sackedinthepocket_zps8377276d.jpg

Notice where Roethlisberger is as he's getting sacked: between the hashmarks. Roethlisberger never left the pocket on the play. No, he couldn't have delivered it to Miller earlier, because Miller was blanketed by Eric Berry the moment he started running across the field. You can see both their feet near the top-left corner of the image.

Thow it away DUMMY !

JeromeBetties63
02-05-2013, 10:09 PM
Thow it away DUMMY !

Its 3rd down. He is in the pocket so it would be intentional grounding. Dummy.

Hawaii 5-0
02-05-2013, 10:13 PM

I also would take Andrew Luck over Ben if i had to make that decision today.

Luck is much younger and has a much longer career ahead of him at this point than Ben has left...

harrison'samonster
02-05-2013, 10:39 PM

sometimes that would be better to throw away and take the penalty. The play he got hurt on happened so fast though he probably would have gotten hit anyway.

teegre
02-05-2013, 11:26 PM
I also would take Andrew Luck over Ben if i had to make that decision today.

Luck is much younger and has a much longer career ahead of him at this point than Ben has left...

Agreed.

Luck is nine years younger... and the way that BB plays, he'll only play to 35, whereas, Luck will play until 38. Doing some math, that would give the Steelers sixteen more years of greatness (as opposed to only five).

teegre
02-05-2013, 11:40 PM
To answer the OP...

If somehow he were actually traded, it would take three R1 picks to even make me consider it... and one of them would HAVE to be a top-ten pick. Even then, I would not necessarily do it. Why? If it was last year's draft, with several franchise QBs (Luck, Wilson)... maybe... but, I do not see any QB of that ilk for a few years.

Aaron Murray... maybe... but, he is not Luck or BB.

Nope. You only have a shot at a franchise QB once per every few decades... unless you are the Niners (Montana, Young) or the Colts (Manning, Luck). Thus, I gotta stick with BB. A "bird" in the hand is worth "three" in the bush.

JeromeBetties63
02-06-2013, 08:50 AM
sometimes that would be better to throw away and take the penalty. The play he got hurt on happened so fast though he probably would have gotten hit anyway.

And we have been to 3 super bowls with ben because he doesnt think like you.

harrison'samonster
02-06-2013, 08:53 AM
And we have been to 3 super bowls with ben because he doesnt think like you.

that's kind of harsh. You don't think we would have been to 3 SB's if I were the QB? Boy you're really going out on a limb with that assumption.

JeromeBetties63
02-06-2013, 08:56 AM
Because our fan base is a bunch of fucking ungrateful assholes.

No it isn't, we are talking about 3% or less who think we should trade Ben. Don't make blanket statements...especially about Steeler Nation.

JeromeBetties63
02-06-2013, 09:00 AM
that's kind of harsh. You don't think we would have been to 3 SB's if I were the QB? Boy you're really going out on a limb with that assumption.

I'm just saying, Ben plays how Ben plays and that has made him a winner and has given us 2 more championships and 3 trips to the show. If he gets hurt this season and has to retire....I wouldn't ask him to change how he plays. "You live by the sword you die by the sword." But this sword has added two Lombardi's to the Steeler trophy case. :steelersflag:

SteelCitian
02-06-2013, 09:31 AM
When I hear somebody suggest the possibility of trading Ben, I recall that 20-year stretch when we had guys like Mark Malone, Bubby Brister, Neil O'Donnell, Kordell Stewart, and Tommy Maddox at QB. And no Lombardi Trophies.

We had four with Bradshaw and two so far with Ben. I like the chances of winning one or two more with Ben.

At least O'Donnell got us there.

steelfury02
02-06-2013, 09:37 AM
I'm just saying, Ben plays how Ben plays and that has made him a winner and has given us 2 more championships and 3 trips to the show. If he gets hurt this season and has to retire....I wouldn't ask him to change how he plays. "You live by the sword you die by the sword." But this sword has added two Lombardi's to the Steeler trophy case. :steelersflag:

I agree - no one saw anything like Ben and he earned his status.

That said, he needs to change his ways because we're talking XLVIII this seasonI - XLIII is getting to be a long time ago and Ben can't keep doing things the same way - he must evolve and oh yea, I agree, he must get pieces around him if we want to enjoy #7 before Ben retires

harrison'samonster
02-06-2013, 09:45 AM

I love the way you're thinking. I just disagree with it. Ben has to realize that when we're 6-3 with 3 games against division rivals coming up, and 5 in the season against division rivals overall still to come, taking the penalty and punting away isn't the worst thing that can happen.

Especially when it's a tied game with the second half still to play.

JeromeBetties63
02-06-2013, 09:52 AM
I love the way you're thinking. I just disagree with it. Ben has to realize that when we're 6-3 with 3 games against division rivals coming up, and 5 in the season against division rivals overall still to come, taking the penalty and punting away isn't the worst thing that can happen.

Especially when it's a tied game with the second half still to play.

So you disagree with two Championships...got it.

harrison'samonster
02-06-2013, 10:04 AM
So you disagree with two Championships...got it.

don't be ridiculous. I'm not saying anything about the years we won the SB. I'm talking about this past season. You don't want to acknowledge what I'm saying and keep repeating "2 championships" that's fine, we'll end the conversation there.

JeromeBetties63
02-06-2013, 10:09 AM
don't be ridiculous. I'm not saying anything about the years we won the SB. I'm talking about this past season. You don't want to acknowledge what I'm saying and keep repeating "2 championships" that's fine, we'll end the conversation there.

Just because you don't like the argument doesn't make it invalid. Look, you tried to make the case that somehow Ben in 1.8 seconds, from in the pocket caused his own injury. It is ludicrous. But beyond that, you are insinuating that Ben should change his style of play. Well, I find that to be counterproductive....unless winning 2 championships doesn't matter to you (I said it again because winning the title is the goal and Ben's style of play has done it....twice....and will probably do it again.)

harrison'samonster
02-06-2013, 10:21 AM
Just because you don't like the argument doesn't make it invalid. Look, you tried to make the case that somehow Ben in 1.8 seconds, from in the pocket caused his own injury. It is ludicrous. But beyond that, you are insinuating that Ben should change his style of play. Well, I find that to be counterproductive....unless winning 2 championships doesn't matter to you (I said it again because winning the title is the goal and Ben's style of play has done it....twice....and will probably do it again.)

Things change, Roethlisberger is getting older. He's got to realize he's got to help protect himself.

Roethlisberger didn't cause his own injury, and I've never tried to argue that he did. In fact in the first post of mine you responded to on this thread, I said that the play happened so fast even if he did throw it away he would have gotten hit anyway. Players get hurt and you can't change that.

Again, you want to keep arguing about "2 championships" that were 7 and 5 years ago. Things change, get use to it.

steelfury02
02-06-2013, 10:50 AM
all I'm saying to your point is that things change - Ben cannot just rely on his improv alone (beating dead horse)

harrison'samonster
02-06-2013, 11:04 AM
all I'm saying to your point is that things change - Ben cannot just rely on his improv alone (beating dead horse)

Exactly. And I don't think he has too either. All I'm saying is that the options must include throw it away, take the penalty, punt away. We gave up one FG the rest of that game. We didn't need to win the game on the first drive of the second half.

SteelersCanada
02-06-2013, 11:11 AM
Hindsight is 20/20 here. We're not going to change how Ben plays the game and we just have to accept it. I agree that Ben should've realized that a game against the Chiefs wasn't anything to risk getting injured over, but he's competitive and always plays to win. It's his never give up mentality on any play that has rewarded us so many times over the years that I don't know if we can ever shake that kind of thinking from Ben and frankly, I don't know if we should. It was a freak accident and that's all it was.

Fire Arians
02-06-2013, 11:19 AM
come on man!

steelfury02
02-06-2013, 12:49 PM
surround Ben with pieces that take the pressure off and he'll be able to efficiently move the chains because those guys will be producing - like I said he can do whatever the hell he wants - but some situations and losses were on him just as much as the next guy

- I love Ben, but he isn't above adding to his game. Elway had to change as he got older - if Ben wants 2 more towards the end - it will take that - he isn't 23-25 years old anymore

You're asking him to play like he's that age until he retires - it just isn't possible as the beatings pile up - we need weapons that produce - but buying in and trusting those weapons is 50% on him as well - he has to learn when to live to fight another day - he is dying by the sword more often than thriving on it as of late

Ben's injury and the point of where he is at in his life had a huge part in his shoddy play down the stretch - he wasn't the same QB as the first half of the season - he was reverting back to forcing the issue and it just didn't work and won't work. Look at who is winning championships - it isn't the teams with fantastic defenses and offenses that do just enough. Its with offenses that score 30+ consistently in the stretch run and the defense makes just enough stops. #1 D without turnovers and 21ppg = 8-8 now, not 12-4 and champsionships. We'll be talking Feb 2014, not Feb 2009 - wake up peeps.

Riddle_Of_Steel
02-06-2013, 12:56 PM
Hint It was a freak accident and that's all it was.

That is all I saw.

Looking at the actual sack and hit-- I swear Ben has been through some much worse pops. It did not look like that big a hit at all.

I am sure if that same hit happened ten more times, he would not get injured on like 9 of those. Was a fluke and not a sign of him becoming decrepit.

JeromeBetties63
02-06-2013, 01:02 PM
Things change, Roethlisberger is getting older. He's got to realize he's got to help protect himself.

Roethlisberger didn't cause his own injury, and I've never tried to argue that he did. In fact in the first post of mine you responded to on this thread, I said that the play happened so fast even if he did throw it away he would have gotten hit anyway. Players get hurt and you can't change that.

Again, you want to keep arguing about "2 championships" that were 7 and 5 years ago. Things change, get use to it.

Here's what needs to change....better O-Line Play. Better running back play. Here's what doesn't need to change - Ben Roethlisberger.

Bayz101
02-06-2013, 01:11 PM

The injury the put him on the sideline last year was inside the pocket.

harrison'samonster
02-06-2013, 01:41 PM
Here's what needs to change....better O-Line Play. Better running back play. Here's what doesn't need to change - Ben Roethlisberger.

everything changes. Body's break down over time. It's not a question of whether we want the change or not. Qb's throw the ball away to protect themselves. That is a basic NFL practice, and it's that way for a reason.

JeromeBetties63
02-06-2013, 01:54 PM
everything changes. Body's break down over time. It's not a question of whether we want the change or not. Qb's throw the ball away to protect themselves. That is a basic NFL practice, and it's that way for a reason.

Let's just put him on a :yeehaw: ! Okay, clearly this convo is over....lol!

harrison'samonster
02-06-2013, 01:58 PM
why don't you want to accept that Roethlisberger can be better, instead of insisting that saving broken plays is the only way he could have won the two SB's?

scottcurtis
02-06-2013, 03:58 PM

Only if there wasnt a receiver near by ....to throw it away doesn't have to be out of bounds ...Dummy !

tanda10506
02-06-2013, 06:04 PM

Edit: I do NOT think that we should entertain the idea of trading Ben...at all...

As far as Colbert being on the hot seat, I'm not sure I agree with that.

Yeah and they would probably be pretty damn good. Their defense is solid, the offense has good receiving options, and their special teams is an x factor with Peterson. Not a championship team, but it would probably be the most consistent Arizona team in a while (provided they kept the unit together for multiple season).

MeanGee2047
02-08-2013, 09:00 PM
Funny, I haven't heard that or read it anywhere. Care to provide a link?

So how many "beast" players is he supposed to hit on per year? Six? Seven? :rolleyes:

For as inactive as the Steelers are in FA, they better damn well be doing a decent job in the draft. Three Super Bowl trips in seven years with two wins suggests they are.

Read it from the washington observer....also just talking to other Steeler fans and wanted to post the opinion on the board...one or two beasts a year is fine with me...the lack of quality back ups are not...Let's look at some drafts... 2006....only one that was still on the roster is Willie Colon....2007...was a nice draft...they got Timmons, Woodley, Sepulveda...(damn them knees...) and Gay....2008...just Mendenhall....everyone else was a bust...wasn't too high on Mundy's play....2009....Hood, Wallace, Lewis and Johnson were good picks...2010...Pouncy, Worilds, Sanders, Dywer & the steal Brown....now Ed Bochette is saying fire sale on free agents...sounds like a blow it up for now...just keep in mind nobody knows anything and won't know until it happens....:tt03:

JeromeBetties63
02-18-2013, 04:36 PM
Only if there wasnt a receiver near by ....to throw it away doesn't have to be out of bounds ...Dummy !

Nice attempt at bailing yourself out. It didn't work. You just didn't realize the game situation in your original post. :applaudit:

LayingTheWoodley56
02-19-2013, 06:38 AM
Another ridiculous "trade Ben" post? The level of intelligence from some members of Steeler Nation continues to amaze me, and not in a good way. How can you think that Ben has only 2-3 good seasons left? He was on top of his game before his injury this season. He's never had a major injury in 9 seasons, only getting dinged up for 3-4 games at a time, tops. He's had no major arm injuries, nor a torn ACL or anything along those lines. By consensus, he is one of the top 7 or so quarterbacks in the NFL. And people are still calling for him to be traded, so we can enter the wilderness of not having a franchise quarterback years earlier than we have to. Great idea.

BlaZeQuietly
02-19-2013, 12:14 PM
The ONLY person I'd trade Ben for is Aaron Rogers. That's just not plausible though...

austinfrench76
02-19-2013, 12:41 PM
no.