PDA

View Full Version : Steelers need a #1 receiver...who?

xbroughneck
02-05-2013, 12:10 PM
Antonio Brown is not a #1 receiver. He's a good #2.

Mike Wallace is not a #1 receiver.

And since Ben isn't a quick read/react quarterback he's going to need a #1 receiver that
1) has decent size
2) runs good routes
3) catches the ball with his hands consistently
4) can BLOCK occassionally
5) has above average speed

Blocking isn't a requirement , but the other 4 things are. So who can the Steelers get to be their Anquan Boldin, or their Santonio Holmes? Ben needs a #1 receiver.

wwhickok
02-05-2013, 12:13 PM
Im not going to lie...I could honestly see Holmes ending up back in Pittsburgh. I could also see Burress getting resigned.

I think Holmes might have realized like others have, the grass is not always greener.

JeromeBetties63
02-05-2013, 12:31 PM
Antonio Brown is not a #1 receiver. He's a good #2.

Mike Wallace is not a #1 receiver.

And since Ben isn't a quick read/react quarterback he's going to need a #1 receiver that
1) has decent size
2) runs good routes
3) catches the ball with his hands consistently
4) can BLOCK occassionally
5) has above average speed

Blocking isn't a requirement , but the other 4 things are. So who can the Steelers get to be their Anquan Boldin, or their Santonio Holmes? Ben needs a #1 receiver.

Randy Moss, because he is, "The greatest receiver to ever play the game." :rofl:

xbroughneck
02-05-2013, 12:57 PM
Dwayne Bowe (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/10467/dwayne-bowe) is a free agent, has good size, speed and playmaking ability and he'd probably be Ben's #2 target next season.

Would you rather the Steelers use up a draft pick on a wide out, or give Bowe a five year deal? I think he would provide an immediate impact. Much more than a rookie would.

That way the draft could be spent fixing the defense.

Steel_Bus_24
02-05-2013, 01:01 PM
Dwayne Bowe (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/10467/dwayne-bowe) is a free agent, has good size, speed and playmaking ability and he'd probably be Ben's #2 target next season.

Would you rather the Steelers use up a draft pick on a wide out, or give Bowe a five year deal? I think he would provide an immediate impact. Much more than a rookie would.

how much is he looking for??

harrison'samonster
02-05-2013, 01:04 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see the Steelers go after somebody who has proven themselves. At this point in Ben's career I don't know if they want to wait to develop a #1 reciever

wwhickok
02-05-2013, 01:20 PM
Is there any 'non-glaring' WR FA's this season that Pitt might look at?

steelfury02
02-05-2013, 01:25 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see the Steelers go after somebody who has proven themselves. At this point in Ben's career I don't know if they want to wait to develop a #1 reciever

sounds like an idea that could pay off over the next few seasons, ala Ravens' pickup of Boldin. I would cry like a little girl if we got someone like Bowe. :thumbsup:

GMU Steeler
02-05-2013, 01:26 PM
sounds like an idea that could pay off over the next few seasons, ala Ravens' pickup of Boldin. I would cry like a little girl if we got someone like Bowe. :thumbsup:

I forget and not that it matters but did the Ravens sign or trade for him. I agree. That was a smart move on Newsome's part. Boldin hasn't been a star with the Ravens but he seems to be always there with a big catch. Same thing with Jacoby Jones.

steelfury02
02-05-2013, 01:28 PM
I forget and not that it matters but did the Ravens sign or trade for him. I agree. That was a smart move on Newsome's part. Boldin hasn't been a star with the Ravens but he seems to be always there with a big catch. Same thing with Jacoby Jones.

traded for 3rd, 4th, 5th round pick

I wouldn't be willing to give up that many middle rounds - but, Wallace and a 4th and 5th - you betcha

GMU Steeler
02-05-2013, 01:29 PM

Damn, that's like nearly half a draft right there.

xbroughneck
02-05-2013, 01:34 PM
how much is he looking for??

Steelers could probably get him for Antonio's contract, and he's better than Antonio.

xbroughneck
02-05-2013, 01:36 PM

The Steelers need to find an Aaron Smith replacement in the draft. He can be found and developed over a year or two.

The Steelers need wide out help NOW.

Steelers5895
02-05-2013, 01:55 PM
Forget Bowe or Holmes. Steelers dont have the money for Bowe and they wont go back to Holmes off an injury.

I say take a flyer on Buress. he may not be a #1 anymore but he draws attention.

steelfury02
02-05-2013, 02:06 PM
Forget Bowe or Holmes. Steelers dont have the money for Bowe and they wont go back to Holmes off an injury.

I say take a flyer on Buress. he may not be a #1 anymore but he draws attention.

Burress as a 4th WR? Yes please.

Unknown, Brown, Cotchery/Sanders (Cotchery>Sanders IMO), Burress.

Oh yea, and one more thing - we need a real TE threat people!

xbroughneck
02-05-2013, 03:06 PM

I agree with bringing Burress back, but unless the Steelers plan on spending the #1 draft on a wide receiver (who will not be what the Steelers need in his first year) they are still going to need that bail out receiver than Ben hasn't had since Santonio left.

Are Ben and Antonio Brown the only big expenditures on the Steelers offense and people expect the offense to be consistent? Seriously?

Joe Flacco wouldn't have a championship if the Ravens didn't have Bolden.

The Steelers wouldn't have beaten the Arizona if not for Santonio. Period.

The receiving corp is, like I thought coming into this season, missing the "consistent" threat.

Riddle_Of_Steel
02-05-2013, 03:27 PM
Trade with the Patriots:

Mike Wallace <--> Wes Welker

WVABE
02-05-2013, 06:41 PM
Trade with the Patriots:

Mike Wallace <--> Wes WelkerNah, first time Ben over threw a pass to Welker his wife would be on espn saying she was raped. :busted:

SteelersCanada
02-05-2013, 07:14 PM
Is there any 'non-glaring' WR FA's this season that Pitt might look at?

If you mean under the radar type guys, then Brandon Gibson, Brian Hartline or Danny Amendola would be the guys to look at.

Dwayne Bowe is a free agent, has good size, speed and playmaking ability and he'd probably be Ben's #2 target next season.

See, I don't know about this. I think he's asking for the same kind of money that Wallace was, except that Bowe has a worse attitude about it. I mean, I don't blame him because he was playing for the Chiefs, but I doubt Colbert would go for him because of this attitude problem.

Would I like to have him? Absolutely. I wouldn't pay him 10+ though and I feel like that's what he would ask for. Right now, he's making 9.515 (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/dwayne-bowe/) and I doubt he'd be willing to take a contract that wasn't at least 5 year / 50 million. This year, we just don't have that kind of cash to spend. Next year might be a little different when we're actually above the cap, but I don't think it's viable this year.

If we're really interested in finding our wide receiver for the future, we're going to have to draft one and reach a little bit at 17 or trade back and hope Keenan Allen is still there.

lloydwoodson
02-05-2013, 08:39 PM
Wallace being re-signed is the best option for the Steelers. Hopefully that somehow happens despite the odds.

Wallace can not be traded he is not under contract. If they were going to trade him they should have tried last year.

Bowe has a reputation for fropping passes. Also, Steelers dont sign big FA. Don't see that happening.

WRs have been handled badly by the FO for a long time now. I don't see anything good happening for the WR corps. Letting Holmes walk then signing AB who is Holmes-lite for the same money doesn't make a lot of sense to me considering the chemistry Holmes and Ben had developed. Signing AB over Wallace doesn't make a whole lot of sense either when Sanders is a similar receiver to AB.

Better hope Miller makes a speedy recovery or Ben isn't going to have a whole lot of options to throw to.

Twentyvalve
02-05-2013, 08:45 PM
lloydwoodson -

Sorry, I could not resist -

I know it was a typo, but you typed "fropped" instead of "dropped." I thought that was funny! Because the Steelers receivers did not drop passes, they "fropped" them! I guess it is a combination of fumble, drop, whatever, that immediately came to mind. You made a new word, and the Steelers found new ways to botch passes. A perfect match!

QUOTE=lloydwoodson;1083447]Wallace being re-signed is the best option for the Steelers. Hopefully that somehow happens despite the odds.

Wallace can not be traded he is not under contract. If they were going to trade him they should have tried last year.

Bowe has a reputation for fropping passes. Also, Steelers dont sign big FA. Don't see that happening.

WRs have been handled badly by the FO for a long time now. I don't see anything good happening for the WR corps. Letting Holmes walk then signing AB who is Holmes-lite for the same money doesn't make a lot of sense to me considering the chemistry Holmes and Ben had developed. Signing AB over Wallace doesn't make a whole lot of sense either when Sanders is a similar receiver to AB.

Better hope Miller makes a speedy recovery or Ben isn't going to have a whole lot of options to throw to.[/QUOTE]

jacobo
02-05-2013, 08:48 PM
Ben's never had a whole lot of options to throw to. Getting back Santonio and getting rid of Wallace would be alright for me. Both have shit attitudes but Holmes is a much better receiver. Have him, Cotchery and Plax start and let AB and Sanders have something to think about.

sluggermatt15
02-05-2013, 08:51 PM
I think the draft is a viable option for a WR. Though I believe the team will not take a WR in the first round, they may do the usual and attempt to find a diamond in the rough. Like it has been mentioned above, the Steelers are never big players in the FA market. Bringing Mike Wallace back is an option, but I guess it depends on the price. Steelers should have a little more cap room since some of their 2012-2013 cap was consumed with buyouts players they cut or released - Hines Ward, Chris Kemoeatu, James Farrior, etc.

vindrow
02-05-2013, 09:29 PM
I wouldn't mind the Steelers going after Danny Amendola...not sure if he is a #1 reciever, but he reminds a little of Hines.....He is not afraid of taking a hit if it means he can come down with the ball, he is a tough player.

desertsteel
02-05-2013, 09:36 PM
Randy Moss, because he is, "The greatest receiver to ever play the game." :rofl:

He's the greatest deep threat ever and in the top 5 overall.

desertsteel
02-05-2013, 09:41 PM
Isn't it funny that going into the 2012 season most fans and analysts considered the Steelers' receiving corp to be the best in the league... now we talk as if it's the worst...

harrison'samonster
02-05-2013, 10:10 PM
Isn't it funny that going into the 2012 season most fans and analysts considered the Steelers' receiving corp to be the best in the league... now we talk as if it's the worst...

I was thinking the same thing earlier. Time will tell which it is. Brown has potential to be something. If Wallace gets in the right situation he will shine.

ricardisimo
02-05-2013, 10:44 PM
Why is everyone so certain that Antonio Brown is not a good #1 receiver? I actually think that Sander might be our best all-around receiver, if only he could stay healthy.

Edit: With the caveat that Heath is obviously our best receiver, but...

RavenManiac
02-05-2013, 10:53 PM

I wouldn't be willing to give up that many middle rounds - but, Wallace and a 4th and 5th - you betcha

We traded a late 3rd (#88) and very late 4th (#123) for Boldin and Arizona's 5th (#157).

So we didn't give up as much as you think, but we didn't give up peanuts either. And up until late this year, I don't think many people were happy with the deal, frankly. But that had more to do with Flacco-Cameron than Anquan himself.

ricardisimo
02-05-2013, 11:09 PM
We traded a late 3rd (#88) and very late 4th (#123) for Boldin and Arizona's 5th (#157).

So we didn't give up as much as you think, but we didn't give up peanuts either. And up until late this year, I don't think many people were happy with the deal, frankly. But that had more to do with Flacco-Cameron than Anquan himself.
Anquan left a Super Bowl contender that has done squat since, and now he just won one himself. Good for him. I always thought he got treated somewhat badly in Arizona, so the karma may have turned around.

SteelersCanada
02-05-2013, 11:12 PM
Why is everyone so certain that Antonio Brown is not a good #1 receiver? I actually think that Sander might be our best all-around receiver, if only he could stay healthy.

Edit: With the caveat that Heath is obviously our best receiver, but...

I think we have a stud in Sanders too. He needs better ball control and not fumble when he's in wide open space, but I think he has the potential to be a monster WR if we gave him the opportunity.

lloydwoodson
02-05-2013, 11:41 PM
lloydwoodson -

Sorry, I could not resist -

I know it was a typo, but you typed "fropped" instead of "dropped." I thought that was funny! Because the Steelers receivers did not drop passes, they "fropped" them! I guess it is a combination of fumble, drop, whatever, that immediately came to mind. You made a new word, and the Steelers found new ways to botch passes. A perfect match!

I guess I really "fropped" the ball on my comment. Emmanuel Sanders definitely "fropped" the ball when he was running free at midfield. That play should be in the dictionary beside "frop."

teegre
02-06-2013, 12:21 AM
I guess I really "fropped" the ball on my comment. Emmanuel Sanders definitely "fropped" the ball when he was running free at midfield. That play should be in the dictionary beside "frop."

Merrian-Webster's says:
vt to be completely open for a touchdown and/or a long gain only to fumble the ball.
n a receiver who fumbles the ball unnecessarily without even being hit, let alone touched

synonyms: vt assholery, jackassery, wtf-uckery. n butterfingers, Mendenhall

Riddle_Of_Steel
02-06-2013, 12:26 AM

LMFAO

teegre
02-06-2013, 12:29 AM

LMFAO

:wink02:

steeltheone
02-06-2013, 06:13 PM
:sofunny:I think we have a stud in Sanders too. He needs better ball control and not fumble when he's in wide open space, but I think he has the potential to be a monster WR if we gave him the opportunity.

I was behind Sanders till this year. All potential, no substance. He had his chance to shine when AB went down. He did not. 3 years 1200 yards receiving. Not even good number 3 stats. He can be easily replaced!

FanSince72
02-07-2013, 10:13 AM
Im not going to lie...I could honestly see Holmes ending up back in Pittsburgh. I could also see Burress getting resigned.

I think Holmes might have realized like others have, the grass is not always greener.

Agreed.

I've always thought that getting rid of Holmes was a mistake.
Yes he had "issues", but so does almost every other top-shelf player in the league.
The bottom line is that Holmes was emerging as Ben's go-to guy and he had the chops to live up to that distinction. I know the Rooney's have little patience for "issues" but were Holmes' antics really so destructive or all that different than what's seen all over the league?

Like any other talented kid, there's usually a chip on their shoulder and as time goes by that chip fades only the Rooneys weren't interested in waiting for that to happen because they have some "image" they want to protect. Holmes was belligerent, he didn't want to be told what to do and he had a sense of entitlement -- and this is something that comes as a surprise to a league that hands tens of millions of dollars to twentysomethings while telling them that they're the greatest thing since cupcakes?

He threw a glass in a bar, he got chesty on Twitter, he challenges authority and he smokes pot.
For Chrissakes, if every team in the league got rid of players for those reasons, there wouldn't be enough players left to field a team.

If he's available, I say let's get him back.

Bayz101
02-07-2013, 10:38 AM
Antonio Brown didn't sing a 45 million dollar contract to be the #2 guy. He signed it because the #1 guy turned down a 10 million a year contract (which he's not even worth). Brown is the #1 receiver, and if not for injury, he would have had 1,150 yards and somewhere in the range of 6-8 touchdowns. Not bad for a guy who didn't play a snap at #1 receiver last year.

Steelers5895
02-07-2013, 10:54 AM
If we remember, sanders was ahead of Brown their rookie year. In fact, losing sanders in the Super Bowl was a huge reason the passing game was inefficient most of the game. he had shown the ability to get open in small spaces which we couldnt get done vs Green Bay, especially on the last drive.

Now, since that injury, injuries have slowed sanders and now brown has surpassed him on the depth chart.

I am not saying a healthy sanders is the answer BUt a healthy sanders with Brown, Buress, Cotchery and a rookie could be.

We would all love that great #1 wr but with volume and Ben's ability to spread the ball around, that core I mentioned could work.

steelfury02
02-07-2013, 02:05 PM
If we remember, sanders was ahead of Brown their rookie year. In fact, losing sanders in the Super Bowl was a huge reason the passing game was inefficient most of the game. he had shown the ability to get open in small spaces which we couldnt get done vs Green Bay, especially on the last drive.

Now, since that injury, injuries have slowed sanders and now brown has surpassed him on the depth chart.

I am not saying a healthy sanders is the answer BUt a healthy sanders with Brown, Buress, Cotchery and a rookie could be.

We would all love that great #1 wr but with volume and Ben's ability to spread the ball around, that core I mentioned could work.

health = good hands

coming back off of injury = slowed progression and basically having to start over in the chemistry department with your QB

let's stay healthy PALEAAAAAAAASE. BTW - i like the corp - just interested to hear your thoughts on the unknown rookie

DanRooney
02-07-2013, 11:12 PM
Bowe

SteelersCanada
02-07-2013, 11:17 PM
Bowe

At 10 / year? Where's the cap room?