PDA

View Full Version : Any players we can trade for?

Steelers5895
02-05-2013, 03:59 PM
I wonder if there is any player, WR or on defense that may have run his course with their current team that may be up for grabs in a Bettis like trade?

I am not looking for dreams but legit chance of getting. none of can figure cap stuff so I wont factor that.

One guy that stands out that has to be fed up where he is and wants a shot at a championship is Larry Fitzgerald.

Even with a new regime, no quarterback and he is in for another frustrating year or 2 until they find one.

I can see a 2nd and a 4th getting him.

The steelers can move down from 17 to get more picks and still get Elam at safety.

austinfrench76
02-05-2013, 04:15 PM
Like the thought but the Bettis trade seems popular on this forum as far as trying to get soemthing similar but I think that is extremely rare. Meaning, we got lucky. I just don't see the Steelers doing it. There are definitley some names but we should focus on keeping our guys and drafting well. Don't change our whole way of doing things because the Ravens won the SB.

teegre
02-06-2013, 12:35 AM
I was thinking of either AP or Megatron for Pittsburgh's R2 pick... but, which one???

Megatron... AP... Megatron... AP...

Decisions, decisions.

lloydwoodson
02-06-2013, 04:43 AM
Another great thread 5895. Could you please do a follow-up thread explaining how the Steelers could absorb Fitzgerald's 8 year 128 million dollar contract? Do we cut the entire offense or the entire defense? Thanks in advance.

Steelers5895
02-06-2013, 10:16 AM
Another great thread 5895. Could you please do a follow-up thread explaining how the Steelers could absorb Fitzgerald's 8 year 128 million dollar contract? Do we cut the entire offense or the entire defense? Thanks in advance.

i didnt realize these threads were so so serious. i guess this is the resposne from 25 year old steeler bandwagon riders. jumped on in 1995 and are the authority.

but here you go jackass:

1- he has ties to the pittsburgh area
2- some players, as he said numerous times, want that championship and he may consider a restructor or evena NEW contract to be on a proven winner
3- with no QB, personally he cant achieve the success he wants

The reason jackass i said him is he is not one of these primadona wide outs who are all about the money and given the opportunity to go to a team like the Steelers, he may rework his contact.

of course, jackass, you didnt read the part where i said salaries aside.

still waiting for one post from you that has some value. you sit and mock anyone who doesnt have an opinion you agree with like you are the authority on steelers football. meanwhile you probably dont even know who Rick Woods was which I am sure you can find out by looking online.

oh, and go F yourself

steelfury02
02-06-2013, 10:27 AM
come on Steelers fans - ease up on each other

we all obviously want a WR who is more interested in winning and fighting for the ball than someone who is flash with no substance

we couldn't afford Fitz because even if he restructured he'd still want more than Roethlisberger is getting. We can't have 2 100 million men on 1 team. or 1 100 million man and 2 Woodley sized contracts - just can't happen.

We need Brown to up his game, we need someone from draft or FA that can perform at a Boldin-like level - we also need a true franchise RB

We have a tall order ladies and gents but lets remember we're in the same boat as fans

sluggermatt15
02-06-2013, 10:58 AM
I think that a WR is a must. As it was said in other threads, we can't rely on Antonio Brown and Heath Miller to be the big pass catchers in 2013. I am not sure what will happen with Mike Wallace. Will he stay or will he go? I don't believe the Steelers can bring back Burress and expect him to play at a level that would provide necessary contribution.

What do you guys think about FA WRs? And the Steelers current situation?

Steelers5895
02-06-2013, 11:06 AM
I think we need to explore a trade. we really cant sign anyone big and we dont have the window with Ben to develop a guy for 2-3 years down the road.

If we look at some teams that are converting to the 3-4, like the Saints, can they use a Woodley, harrison or Hood? They have a ton of WRs to trade. How good would Lance Moore be? guy is similar to a hines ward minus blocking.

How about Philly? jason avant? sure hands, good size, good speed.

How about Oakand? Heyward Bey? Jacoby Ford? They have a ton of Wrs and a ton of needs. Al Davis insnt there anymore so a trade could happen.

Again, Arizona has 4 solid wrs. that too factored into my Fitz thought

How about Tennessee and getting Nate Washington back?

In free agency only Buress makes sense. unless you want to take a flyer on a Mike- Sims Walker who has been out of football for a year.

Trade may be the only way to get a close to or impact WR right away.

sluggermatt15
02-06-2013, 11:34 AM
I think we need to explore a trade. we really cant sign anyone big and we dont have the window with Ben to develop a guy for 2-3 years down the road.

If we look at some teams that are converting to the 3-4, like the Saints, can they use a Woodley, harrison or Hood? They have a ton of WRs to trade. How good would Lance Moore be? guy is similar to a hines ward minus blocking.

How about Philly? jason avant? sure hands, good size, good speed.

How about Oakand? Heyward Bey? Jacoby Ford? They have a ton of Wrs and a ton of needs. Al Davis insnt there anymore so a trade could happen.

Again, Arizona has 4 solid wrs. that too factored into my Fitz thought

How about Tennessee and getting Nate Washington back?

In free agency only Buress makes sense. unless you want to take a flyer on a Mike- Sims Walker who has been out of football for a year.

Trade may be the only way to get a close to or impact WR right away.

Like your analysis. Those are some pretty viable options. I guess the question is, what would the Steelers be willing to give up to get one or more of these players? I believe they have their full compliment of draft choices this year, which is a big plus.

Steelers5895
02-06-2013, 11:41 AM
Like your analysis. Those are some pretty viable options. I guess the question is, what would the Steelers be willing to give up to get one or more of these players? I believe they have their full compliment of draft choices this year, which is a big plus.

i am going to play GM.

If contracts work, I would give a 4th for Lance Moore.

If we are looking for a better WR, a bigger brand name from a team i would look to trade down in the draft to try and get an extra rd 2 and 4.

If we can get those picks we can look to get a bigger name WR if one is available. steelers wont overpay with draft picks so i can see trading a 2 and 4.

Plus we still have a late rd 1 or an early rd 2 to get Elam at safety.

We need a proven WR to repalce wallace and the FA pool is thin and expensive for those who are good. Trade may be the only option.

SteelersCanada
02-06-2013, 11:43 AM
As much as I would love to get Larry a ring, his cap hit is too high for us. Look at these numbers quickly,

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/arizona-cardinals/larry-fitzgerald/

So, next year he's slated to make 9.5, but in the following years he's making 17, 20, 17, 17 and 15. While he's worth every penny, we just don't have the room for him on this team. We'd have to get rid of guys like Woodley, Timmons, Pouncey, Troy, Clark and Ike to even consider taking on a contract like that and I'm not willing to part with Woods, Timmons or Maurkice.

Oh, and it would take a first round pick and a third round pick to get Larry. Anything less and you'd be laughed out of the room.

Steelers5895
02-06-2013, 11:54 AM
good points but i figured we can handle the 9.5 as we were looking to pay wallace 10million.

Then the restructuring happens then eventual cut.

Woodley, Clark, Ike and Troy will be gone after next year if they are even on the team in 2013.

We can hold Timmons and Pouncey for sure.

I also disagree it will take a 1st. The Cards have decent WRs, are 2-3 years away and can get rid of a HUGE contract.

2 and 4, heck maybe with a player or 2 to help the cap could do it.

it wont happen but its not impossible liek that idiot Lloydwoodson thinks

lloydwoodson
02-06-2013, 06:41 PM

:rofl:

Yeah I'm the idiot that considers Chad Brown an OLB only because he played 81% of his career at OLB.

I'm the idiot that thinks Bettis deserves a spot in the HOF.

I'm the idiot that doesn't think it is realistic to entertain the idea that Fitzgerald will be a Steeler. (Yeah, a human being is going to sacrifice 10 million dollars a year to play for a team that has won 2 playoff games in the last 4 years... sounds like everyone I know).

I'm the idiot who doesn't know who Rick Woods is because it turns out he played his entire career in Pittsburgh before my first memory.

I'm the idiot who didn't bother posting on your thread listing every member of the defense and asking if they are worth trading.

That's me. I'm just your average every day idiot. :toofunny:

Bayz101
02-06-2013, 06:46 PM
good points but i figured we can handle the 9.5 as we were looking to pay wallace 10million.

Then the restructuring happens then eventual cut.

Woodley, Clark, Ike and Troy will be gone after next year if they are even on the team in 2013.

We can hold Timmons and Pouncey for sure.

I also disagree it will take a 1st. The Cards have decent WRs, are 2-3 years away and can get rid of a HUGE contract.

2 and 4, heck maybe with a player or 2 to help the cap could do it.

You can cool it with the personal attacks. Thanks.

teegre
02-06-2013, 06:49 PM
On trading for Larry Fitzgerald.

PROS:
His $9.5 million salary (for next season) could easily fit into the current cap. As others have stated, if Wallace was going to get $10 million, getting Fitzgerald for $9.5 is a steal!!!

Even if he does not restructure, by adding him & winning the SuperBowl, Troy WOULD retire... as would many of the other hefty contracts. Thus, again, even if he did not restructure (which he would), there will be a ton of salaries gone vis a vis people retiring.

Worst case: trade for him... win #7... and if he does not restructure, cut him.

CONS:
Arians is bitter at the Steelers. There is NO WAY he trades his BEST player to a team that he hates.

Even if he did, he would ask for an insane amount in return: two R1 picks, Antonio Brown, and the heart of Mike Tomlin served on a platter.

Bayz101
02-06-2013, 06:56 PM
As for the 9.5 million for Fitz as compared to Wallace's supposed 10 million contract, didn't Brown get a deal in Wallace's place? Smaller, I know, but still. Wouldn't that effect the chances of this even been possible?

Steelers5895
02-06-2013, 06:57 PM

PROS:
His $9.5 million salary (for next season) could easily fit into the current cap. As others have stated, if Wallace was going to get $10 million, getting Fitzgerald for $9.5 is a steal!!!

Even if he does not restructure, by adding him & winning the SuperBowl, Troy WOULD retire... as would many of the other hefty contracts. Thus, again, even if he did not restructure (which he would), there will be a ton of salaries gone vis a vis people retiring.

CONS:
Arians is bitter at the Steelers. There is NO WAY he trades his BEST player to a team that he hates.

Even if he did, he would ask for an insane amount in return: two R1 picks, Antonio Brown, and the heart of Mike Tomlin served on a platter.

i agree with the Cons, but we cant pretend to know what people think and if it made sense for the Cards I am sure Arians would trade. keep in mind the last thing an OLDER first year head coach wants is his star player unhappy as this will be Arians only shot at a head coach. That will spread through any locker room. If Fitz wants out they will give it to him. The issue is Fitz is too much of a class guy to cause a stir.

teegre
02-06-2013, 06:59 PM
As for the 9.5 million for Fitz as compared to Wallace's supposed 10 million contract, didn't Brown get a deal in Wallace's place? Smaller, I know, but still. Wouldn't that effect the chances of this even been possible?

The Steelers still want Wallace (they say they do), for about $10 million. Thus, if they were going to pay Wallace $10 million/if they have a plan to allot $10 million for his contract... then they could afford that same amount ($9.5 million) for Fitzgerald.

teegre
02-06-2013, 07:01 PM
i agree with the Cons, but we cant pretend to know what people think and if it made sense for the Cards I am sure Arians would trade. keep in mind the last thing an OLDER first year head coach wants is his star player unhappy as this will be Arians only shot at a head coach. That will spread through any locker room. If Fitz wants out they will give it to him. The issue is Fitz is too much of a class guy to cause a stir.

So, what you are saying is that I need to start a fake Twitter account, posing as Larry Fitzgerlad, where he is bashing Arians. Will do. (You talkt o Colbert about working out the trade.)

Really though, I could see Arians trading Fitzgerlad to 30 teams (the Taperiots & Rams come to mind, with their multiple picks)... but, not to the one team which we want.

OX1947
02-06-2013, 07:03 PM

PROS:

CONS:

Bidwell's make the final decisions. If they want to trade Fitz, they will do it. Arians or not.

teegre
02-06-2013, 07:06 PM
Bidwell's make the final decisions. If they want to trade Fitz, they will do it. Arians or not.

True... but, I am sure that they would consult their HC.

Also, scratch the Niners, Rams, & Seahawks from the list of possible trade partners (even though, the Rams & Niners have lots of "disposable" picks). They are in the same division.

Yup, looks like the Taperiots win the lottery again. Argh!!!

harrison'samonster
02-06-2013, 07:07 PM
if we could get Larry Fitzgerald and Stephen Jackson together on our team it would be a dream come true. Please tell me there's a way it could work.

teegre
02-06-2013, 07:09 PM
if we could get Larry Fitzgerald and Stephen Jackson together on our team it would be a dream come true. Please tell me there's a way it could work.

No, no, no... dude... Fitgerald and AP.

When dreaming, dare to dream big. :wink02:

harrison'samonster
02-06-2013, 07:17 PM
Oh, I love Harrison and Polamalu to death, but I'd cut them in a second if we could get Fitz and Jackson on this team next year.

The reason is our D will be able to move on without those two.

Steelers5895
02-06-2013, 10:24 PM
Fitz of course is a long shot but there has to be a move in place. No way we go with Brown a #1 and hope a draft pick develops.

man, Fitz as a Steelers? He would make Brown and sanders great too. they would no longer be called Young Money, they would be called champions.

F the defense with that core at WR.

harrison'samonster
02-06-2013, 10:50 PM
man, Fitz as a Steelers? He would make Brown and sanders great too. they would no longer be called Young Money, they would be called champions.

I like the sound of that.

zcoop
02-06-2013, 11:17 PM
The Steelers still want Wallace (they say they do), for about $10 million. Thus, if they were going to pay Wallace $10 million/if they have a plan to allot $10 million for his contract... then they could afford that same amount ($9.5 million) for Fitzgerald.

Are you kidding? Do you think that Fitzgerald would come to the Steelers out of benevolence? What woulld the cost to the team be after next season (have you seen his contract)? Another scenario, lets say we get him and don't win the SBs, do we have a Wallace situation all over again? Some of you folks on this board will turn on a WR in a hot second. Getting him would not guarantee a SB, if that were the case then Ariz would have a few by now,

Some of the trailers of his contract below:

(•$20 million fully guaranteed
•$25 million guaranteed for injury
•Signing Bonus: $10 million
•2012-18 Workout Bonus: $250,000
•2011 Roster Bonus: $8 million
•2012 Roster Bonus: $6 million
•2013 Option Bonus: $10 million
•2015 Roster Bonus: $8 million
•De-escalators for less than 80 rec.)

teegre
02-07-2013, 12:01 AM
Are you kidding? Do you think that Fitzgerald would come to the Steelers out of benevolence? What woulld the cost to the team be after next season (have you seen his contract)? Another scenario, lets say we get him and don't win the SBs, do we have a Wallace situation all over again? Some of you folks on this board will turn on a WR in a hot second. Getting him would not guarantee a SB, if that were the case then Ariz would have a few by now,

Some of the trailers of his contract below:

(•$20 million fully guaranteed
•$25 million guaranteed for injury
•Signing Bonus: $10 million
•2012-18 Workout Bonus: $250,000
•2011 Roster Bonus: $8 million
•2012 Roster Bonus: $6 million
•2013 Option Bonus: $10 million
•2015 Roster Bonus: $8 million
•De-escalators for less than 80 rec.)

I was going off of what someone posted earlier: $9.5 million next season, followed by huge years ($20 million). So, Yes, $9.5 million is essentially the same as $10 million for Wallace.

I am trying to figure out your post. It seems that don't like Fitzgersld; you prefer Wallace. Great. I prefer Fitzgerald... but that doesn't mean I don't like Wallace. I just think Fitzgerald is the best WR in the league... but, that's my opinion. We can agree to disagree on that.

Alas, No, merely getting Fitzgerald won't guarantee a Lombardi. But, considering the rest if this team is pretty darn good, adding Fitzgersld would make the team extremely good. Get it?

Lastly, do you really think that Fitzgerald should already have a few SuperBowl with the QBs he's had throwing him the ball??? Not having a QB equals horrible seasons. The one year that he got to the SuperBowl, he had a great QB throwing passes to him. BB is a great QB. Ergo, I'm willing to be that Fitzgersld's odds of winning a SuperBowl vastly increase with BB throwing him the ball (as opposed to Kolb).

zcoop
02-07-2013, 12:08 AM
I was going off of what someone posted earlier: $9.5 million next season, followed by huge years ($20 million). So, Yes, $9.5 million is essentially the same as $10 million for Wallace.

I am trying to figure out your post. It seems that don't like Fitzgersld; you prefer Wallace. Great. I prefer Fitzgerald... but that doesn't mean I don't like Wallace. I just think Fitzgerald is the best WR in the league... but, that's my opinion. We can agree to disagree on that.

Alas, No, merely getting Fitzgerald won't guarantee a Lombardi. But, considering the rest if this team is pretty darn good, adding Fitzgersld would make the team extremely good. Get it?

Lastly, do you really think that Fitzgerald should already have a few SuperBowl with the QBs he's had throwing him the ball??? Not having a QB equals horrible seasons. The one year that he got to the SuperBowl, he had a great QB throwing passes to him. BB is a great QB. Ergo, I'm willing to be that Fitzgersld's odds of winning a SuperBowl vastly increase with BB throwing him the ball (as opposed to Kolb).

I think you misread my post, I like Fitzgerald but can we afford him. He is scheduled to make 9.5 mil next year but there is more $$$$$$$ tied to that figure. If we get him we own the contract and all of it's incentives is my point. I don't think he would make financial concessions just to play for us, do you? If we spend the money and don't succeed. there would be hell to pay with this crew. You feel me?

BTW, Flacco just led a team to a SB win. So, SBs are won by teams with systems that click together. I don't consider him elite but he got the job done this year. Remember, we beat Ariz with a pretty good QB and Fitzgerald.

teegre
02-07-2013, 12:13 AM
I think you misread my post, I like Fitzgerald but can we afford him. He is scheduled to make 9.5 mil next year but there is more $$$$$$$ tied to that figure. If we get him we own the contract and all of it's incentives is my point. I don't think he would make financial concessions just to play for us, do you? If we spend the money and don't succeed. there would be hell to pay with this crew. You feel me?

BTW, Flacco just led a team to a SB win. So, SBs are won by teams with systems that click together. I don't consider him elite but he got the job done this year. Remember, we beat Ariz with a pretty good QB and Fitzgerald.

Got it.

The guaranteed money... I had not considered that. Ergo... the Steelers will just HAVE to win it next year. :wink02:

Really though, Yes, the guaranteed money changes the dynamics of the $9.5 million base salary. Drat.

nikstar
02-07-2013, 01:42 AM
I'm all for Fitz as a Steeler. Not only is he an absolute stud as a receiver, we could line him up in the backfield a la 2008 Arizona for a trick play once a season. It's his contract that makes this deal impossible. Also saying that, after the 2008 season I truly thought Boldin was the better receiver even though Fitz was getting most of the hype, after his move to Baltimore I was truly terrified, but he was held in-check for a couple of seasons and only now seems like the pro I thought he was going to be. I don't really like the idea of "hey Baltimore won with a former Arizona WR let's pick one up and be guaranteed a Superbowl apperance".

I would probably prefer to sign Wallace for the 10 million he turned down before the season, who knows if that's possible now. I agree AB+Heath doesn't make a quality receiving core but I do think Wallace+AB+Heath+a RB who can catch can be a top offense.

Who are the Steelers franchise tagging this year? Is it possible to somehow trade for someone, then restructure their contract to a 1 year franchise tag? (by like trading for him, cutting him, signing him or some nonsense) Just brainstorming here.

Steelers5895
02-07-2013, 09:38 AM
A lot of high dollars come off the books after the 2013 season. Think about it, after Ben, when Troy is gone, do we have any other super stars? Brown isnt, wallace wouldnt be if he stayed. What "brand name" player will be have?

If we draft well this year and next we can have a Ben and Fitz with their salaries.

the issue is we dont draft well and we have to overpay players on defense beacuse they know the system and we cant afford to lose them, NOT because they are worth the money.