PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben on front page

BB2W
06-18-2005, 03:15 AM
Ben is on the front page at www.nfl.com and it sounds good.....

Improving Roethlisberger might throw more

By Adam Schefter
Special to NFL.com

(June 17, 2005) -- Entering his second season, look for Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger to throw the ball more this season.

Roethlisberger has informed Steelers coaches how much more comfortable he feels in Pittsburgh's offense, how much more of a grasp of it he has, and how he would like to open up the offense more than last season, when Pittsburgh ran the ball on 61 percent of its offensive plays. The Steelers now will consider throwing the football more on first and second down than they did last season, and much of their added aggressiveness stems from Roethlisberger's heightened confidence.

At a recent minicamp, Roethlisberger watched rookie first-round pick Heath Miller tentatively run through a pattern before turning to his quarterbacks coach, Mark Whipple, and asking, "Was I like that as a rookie?" Yes he was, but not anymore.

"One guy who has distinguished himself (at minicamp), who has improved the most from last year to this year is Ben," Whipple said. "If I look back at my notes, I think that would be the one. Everyone played at a high level, but especially Ben."

Prosdo
06-18-2005, 03:33 AM
Sounds very promising. I'm really excited about all the additions to the team. Miller and McFadden are looking very good from what I hear. I'm pumped for this season.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-18-2005, 08:37 AM
Image that, Big Ben on the front page of a another website or publication? :rofl:

Im anxious to see what Heath can do and how long it takes him to crack the starting lineup!

Stlrs4Life
06-18-2005, 10:47 AM
I believe Ben will be fine. I'm more worried about our OL.

RoethlisBURGHer
06-18-2005, 11:42 AM
I'm not worried about Ben at all.The problems last year were fatigue,having such a small percentage of the playbook to use,being unable to read defenses,and the fact we were so predictable.

Yes,they better open up the offense some more than last year and throw more on first and second down.When you get too predictable you begin to lose.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-18-2005, 07:21 PM
Our OL was the main reason we had so much success last year. They gave Ben time, gave the RB's holes to run through. When they stay healthy as a group, there's no one else I'd want. But we lost alot of depth this year, so it'll be interesting to see who steps up in camp behind the starting 5.

clevestinks
06-18-2005, 07:22 PM
The big positives about Ben are That he is smart, and mature. With a full playbook this year, I think he will be improved.

bigbensgirl7
06-19-2005, 10:42 AM
Man...I can't wait for this season to start...I'm going crazy. I am so excited to see how Ben has matured, everything I have heard seems incredibly positive. I think now that he is able to utalize the full playbook, we are going to see great things happening this year.

BB2W
06-19-2005, 11:57 AM
I know exactly how you feel Bensgirl. I am really looking forward to pounding the Bengals this year. I hope Carson struggles again......so I can rub it in. :D There is a big Bengals movement where we live......fans are coming out everywhere, and they are all talking trash. I just want to get that game over with and shut them up.

I do love what I hear about Ben, and how he looked in Mini-camp. Hopefully it carries over to Traning-camp, and the regular season. When Kordell was the QB we heard this stuff every off-season, and come game time nothing changed. I honestly beleive Ben is destined to be great......what a rookie year! He has always been improving his entire career, and I don't thinks it stops here. It may take a few seasons, but I think he will be great.

bigbensgirl7
06-19-2005, 11:59 AM
Hey BigBen...you better be up at Damons this year...I have a feeling it's just going to keep getting worse with these Fair weather fans around here. I missed you in the Playoffs...it got pretty ugly up in there!

Prosdo
06-19-2005, 06:27 PM
Man...I can't wait for this season to start...I'm going crazy. I am so excited to see how Ben has matured, everything I have heard seems incredibly positive. I think now that he is able to utalize the full playbook, we are going to see great things happening this year.

I hear you. Pittsburgh is so exciting during football season. Waiting for that is driving me nuts. I am anxious to see how Ben has matured also. I am also pumped up to see how our new WR's and draft picks do. I think we will see great things come from this team also.

BB2W
06-19-2005, 06:37 PM
Hey BigBen...you better be up at Damons this year...I have a feeling it's just going to keep getting worse with these Fair weather fans around here. I missed you in the Playoffs...it got pretty ugly up in there!

I am sure I will be there for the games that are not telivised......I don't think I could take it up there during the Bengals games. There were alot of Bengals fans in there this past season. Sometimes I go to BW3's, but not very often. I will see ya up there.

clevestinks
06-19-2005, 08:07 PM
I am sure I will be there for the games that are not telivised......I don't think I could take it up there during the Bengals games. There were alot of Bengals fans in there this past season. Sometimes I go to BW3's, but not very often. I will see ya up there.

Is it more Bungles fans than Browns fans there??

BB2W
06-19-2005, 08:12 PM
Is it more Bungles fans than Browns fans there??

Yeah, there are alot more Bengals fans than Browns, but there are usually more Steelers fans that any others. :cool:

clevestinks
06-19-2005, 08:23 PM
With my fan club we like to head around the state and visit different bars for Steelers games. Usually one or two a year, outside of our local area. Maybe we`ll make it a point to come down there?

bengalsfan21
06-19-2005, 10:33 PM
[QUOTE=BigBen2Ward]I know exactly how you feel Bensgirl. I am really looking forward to pounding the Bengals this year. I hope Carson struggles again......so I can rub it in. :D There is a big Bengals movement where we live......fans are coming out everywhere, and they are all talking trash. I just want to get that game over with and shut them up.

What if or should I say when the bengals beat the steelers what will you rub in?....and how will you shut the fans up, it seems in order for you to do these two things your steelers better be flawless bc I personally think the bengals will win one of the games.....And you know deep down you want the bengals to succeed and have a great year. :D

Go_Cats
06-20-2005, 01:16 AM
The news of big ben throwing the ball more is music to my ears. This is the best news I've heard all offseason :beerbang:

clevestinks
06-20-2005, 04:41 AM
You must be a Steelers fans then!

BB2W
06-20-2005, 01:05 PM
With my fan club we like to head around the state and visit different bars for Steelers games. Usually one or two a year, outside of our local area. Maybe we`ll make it a point to come down there?

That would be awesome Cleve! I would like to meet some of the members here at SF. Bengirl and I will be there.....let us know. :)

BB2W
06-20-2005, 01:10 PM
[QUOTE=BigBen2Ward]I know exactly how you feel Bensgirl. I am really looking forward to pounding the Bengals this year. I hope Carson struggles again......so I can rub it in. :D There is a big Bengals movement where we live......fans are coming out everywhere, and they are all talking trash. I just want to get that game over with and shut them up.

What if or should I say when the bengals beat the steelers what will you rub in?....and how will you shut the fans up, it seems in order for you to do these two things your steelers better be flawless bc I personally think the bengals will win one of the games.....And you know deep down you want the bengals to succeed and have a great year. :D

What I mean by that is you Bengals fans do this every year, ever since the Jeff Blake days.....every offseason the fans think they are going to the SB, and they never give real teams like the Steelers credit, but come the regular season we wup up on them, and the Bengals are on pace to finish below 500 and then the fans shut up, and quit runnin their mouths......until the next offseason of course.

bengalsfan21
06-20-2005, 01:28 PM
[QUOTE=bengalsfan21]

What I mean by that is you Bengals fans do this every year, ever since the Jeff Blake days.....every offseason the fans think they are going to the SB, and they never give real teams like the Steelers credit, but come the regular season we wup up on them, and the Bengals are on pace to finish below 500 and then the fans shut up, and quit runnin their mouths......until the next offseason of course.

i agree we do, but this year we are much more improved,and with marvin we have something to be excited about.

BB2W
06-20-2005, 01:38 PM
I think the Bengals are closer than ever before, but there was Bengals teams of the past that I thought would rise to the next level......and they didn't. I think their are some real issues on that defense, and they are gonna have to step it up, but they are gonna be so young and new to the D and the NFL......it will be tough. I dont know if the Bengals can do it with just a great WR, an above average RB, and a young unproven QB. It is a nice core, but it may take a few seasons.

bengalsfan21
06-20-2005, 02:40 PM
I think the Bengals are closer than ever before, but there was Bengals teams of the past that I thought would rise to the next level......and they didn't. I think their are some real issues on that defense, and they are gonna have to step it up, but they are gonna be so young and new to the D and the NFL......it will be tough. I dont know if the Bengals can do it with just a great WR, an above average RB, and a young unproven QB. It is a nice core, but it may take a few seasons.

Thats true, the offense will need to put up alot of numbers to pick up the slack of the defense. But on the other hand I have noticed that one week the offense will show up and the defense won't and it's the defense showing up and not the offense the following week, if they can just all show up at the same time they will have a decent team. I agree Carson needs to prove himself and Rudi needs to carry the ball more to take preasure off of him. As for the defense we have a few good veterans and some rookies that will be great one day, I don't expect a superbowl this year but I don't want to have to accept anything less then a playoff bound season.

bigbensgirl7
06-20-2005, 05:00 PM
BB2W: I'll see you up there.
Cleve: Come down and bring the whole crew...make sure it's a game that the Steelers are not on TV around here though...a lot of the usuals will watch the game at home if it's on. But most of the time the place is pretty filled with Steeler fans!
Bengalsfan: I agree with BB2W here. Every offseason I hear the same thing. I think you guys are on the way up...but I have thought the same for the past 2 years and it still seems to end up the same (the best being 8-8). Maybe this year you will prove me wrong, but I think one of the Bengals big problems is finishing out games and knowing how to win!

bengalsfan21
06-21-2005, 02:01 PM
Bengalsfan: I agree with BB2W here. Every offseason I hear the same thing. I think you guys are on the way up...but I have thought the same for the past 2 years and it still seems to end up the same (the best being 8-8). Maybe this year you will prove me wrong, but I think one of the Bengals big problems is finishing out games and knowing how to win!

You always have to make a comment to make me :crying02: don't you.
I hope the bengals will do something this year to I won't except anything less then a playoff year, if however they don't go to the playoffs I will move to Cleveland and root for the Browns. :funny:

BlitzburghRockCity
06-21-2005, 10:53 PM
The bengals are a team that is so used to losing close games, and having losing seasons year in and year out, that even though you do have talent, it takes quite a while to develop a winning attitude, and that's something that the players have to believe in, and that just takes time. And it comes w/ winning close games, winning 2 or 3 games in a row before you lose one..not going on a 3 or 4 game skid before you win a game, and most off, confidence in ur offense to be able to drive down and score w/ 2 minutes to go on ur own 20.. and in ur defense to be able to come up w/ a 3 and out or a game winning turnover.

bengalsfan21
06-21-2005, 11:13 PM
The bengals are a team that is so used to losing close games, and having losing seasons year in and year out, that even though you do have talent, it takes quite a while to develop a winning attitude, and that's something that the players have to believe in, and that just takes time. And it comes w/ winning close games, winning 2 or 3 games in a row before you lose one..not going on a 3 or 4 game skid before you win a game, and most off, confidence in ur offense to be able to drive down and score w/ 2 minutes to go on ur own 20.. and in ur defense to be able to come up w/ a 3 and out or a game winning turnover.

Your absoluely right, and I hope they develop that winning attitude this year.... as I see it with the offense they should be able to put up enough numbers to make the playoffs. I only say that bc Indy did it with a terrible defense and the Bengals have some what of D.