PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent Possibilities?

wwhickok
02-06-2013, 06:42 AM
I looked through the lists on Rotoworld/NBC Sports and tried to be realistic about guys who would be affordable. As you look at the guys Ive listed, outside of the running backs I have listed guys who have not met expectatiins but perhaos could fit into Pittsburgh.

Matt Moore

In no world is Matt Moore a premier starting QB, everyone knows that. But he has proven his worth as a backup, Specifically as someone who can win in the short term role.

Felix Jones
Shonn Greene
Peyton Hillis

Of the 3, I would say Greene would be most realistic but Colbert did suggest that Running Back may be a place they look yo Free Agency. That wouldnt mean we don't draft one. Peyton Hillis I think might be the most expensive of the bunch. Greene seems to have a good head on his shoulders but he got caught up in the circus in NY. He is a bruiser who had a pretty good season. Jones...he is a returner and a speedy guy, a multi purpose bqck if you will.

Steve Smith(Stl)
Lee Evans

Lee Evans is older, but couod still be a decent option, might come cheap. Steve Smith was great in NY, hasnt done much since, could come cheap and might be able to provide reliable depth.

Jeff Otah

To say he has been a disappointment would be an understatement. For that reason he will come cheap. Worst case scenario he would be a training camp body. Overall he is low risk/high reward.

Chilo Rachal[b]

Havent really kept uo with him but I also don't recall hearing much if him. My guess, another low risk/high reward.

[b]Amobi Okoye

If there is one thing this kid has, its heart and that is something Pittsburgh can work with. He isnt untalented but he also hasnt met expectations. Perhaos the staff in Pittsburgh could turn him around. Very low risk/extremely high potential reward

Brandon Siler

He has had flashes of the high level play but overall is a depth guy(not sure which scheme he plays in). If he fits in our scheme, there is almost no risk involved.

Quentin Groves

Of all the recent Day one picks this guy has got to be one of the biggest disappointments out there. I cant see anyone offering him a huge payoff and it is a guy I thought might fit here when he was drafted. Another low risk/high reward player.

Chris Carr

Carr is a guy the Steelers have gone after in the last few offseasons they just havent been able to get him. I think this is the year.

Looking forward to your thoughts and hey, if I overlooked someone, lets hear about it.

SteeleReign
02-06-2013, 07:19 AM
Nobody on this list screams "difference maker." However, that's not unusual for an off season signing by the Steelers.

I guess Matt Moore would be an adequate back-up. Although, to be honest, I'm thoroughly intrigued by the Offense du jour - the Pistol. I'd like to see us draft an athletic QB that has the potential to run this type of offense, a la Kaepernick - if such a player exists in this draft. Give him a few plays here and there. Keep the D honest. It's truly a difficult offense to defend and appears to have some staying power.

Not a big fan of the RB list. Here again, I think we need a dynamic type player. A guy that can get to the edge, turn, and burn. Felix Jones may fit that bill, but at what cost? There are a hundred college guys that have potential to make that sort of impact. No need to overpay a vet here. Draft.

Receiver? Again, not a fan of this list. I think Cotchery deserves more PT and can fill the possession receiver shoes quite well. I believe the team will be looking for speed. Young speed. College, young speed.

If the Steelers reach into the FA pot, it will likely be to fill back-up depth needs. QB, OL, LB, and S/CB come to mind. Much is determined by whether or not they bring back Keenan Lewis. If not, it's possible we see a splash at CB into Free Agency. There again, not likely a big name, but someone to provide a safety net should Cortez Allen, Victorian, and Brown all fail.

wwhickok
02-06-2013, 07:34 AM
Thanks Reign, good points on the RB position. When I looked at the WR list, I wasnt that impressed either, those are about the only two guys I could bring myself to suggest.

cbrunn
02-06-2013, 07:43 AM
I think I seen WR Ramses Barden is a free agent from Giants ... I think he would be a good big body receiver, as he did good when he was called upon this year

If the price was right of course ... Giants might want to keep him though

VaDave
02-06-2013, 07:50 AM
I'm all for Cotchery, but have you noticed that he is NEVER wide open?

The guy is slow. Hines with his bad knees would bury him in the 40. Cotch is our offense's version of Ryan Munday. Great guys, alway prepared, they know exactly what is going on, but lack the top end speed to be effective.

Steelers>NFL
02-06-2013, 08:40 AM
Steven Jackson RB from the Rams.

Give him 2 yr - $6million contract. He can carry the load.

wwhickok
02-06-2013, 09:00 AM
Steven Jackson RB from the Rams.

Give him 2 yr - $6million contract. He can carry the load.

Wasn't a certain former Steeler a Ram? Just saying.

I actually think that is a real possibility. Colbert really did make it sound as though they would be open to signing a significant FA RB. Does it get any more significant?

steelfury02
02-06-2013, 09:02 AM
me thinks Steven Jackson would have to be paid more than AB.

2 year 6 mill is a #3 WR contract

VaDave
02-06-2013, 09:12 AM
Jerome wasn't on the other side of 30 when we traded for him. Frankly, we need to get our oline up, functional, and healthy. When you got that going for you, runners look a whole lot better.

wwhickok
02-06-2013, 09:39 AM
Fury/Dave; good points, youre not wrong.

67 calsteel
02-06-2013, 10:26 AM
Moore would be great but a team that needs a qb will take him.
Foote's replacement
Larry Grant san francisco -play well two years ago replacing willis.stuck behind willis

Foster and Colon replacement
Kevin Boothe Giants. Starting left tackle who's strength is run blocking.Can also play center
Donald Thomas Pats looked good this year in limited play.

agree about Otah take a chance

allens replacement
Corey Lynch strong special teams player who played well in limited time at strong safety

67 calsteel
02-06-2013, 10:39 AM
If Lewis is not signed.
Leodis McKelvin CB Buffalo has more starting Experience than Lewis.Think with Lake help Could be real good

Injury risk players to look at
Louis Delmas FS-good young player that can not stay healthy.Because of this will not get offered large contract.May be able to get at reseasonable price with large bonus if he is healthy and plays all16 games.Since he has never playerd a full season the bonus could be a NLTBE and would not count against cap

Tracy Porter never played a full season same bonus as above.Sign for depth

Rotorhead
02-06-2013, 11:03 AM
Well, given our OC connections, it would be nice to snag Bowe from KC, but i doubt that will happen. Other than RB the only real need from FA would be OLB. There are a couple out there so maybe.

Steelers5895
02-06-2013, 11:12 AM
QB- Vince Young, Tyler Thigpan or David Carr
RB- Jackie Battle- big power back and can catch out of the backfield, will come cheap
RB- Joique Bell- love this guy, he is restructed so he would be worth picks if low picks
WR- Buress- no brainer

Not worried about OL as we can draft players fo the line. We have depth even with the loss of starks and colon

On defense, you dont see many free agent signings that often. Usually we bring back players like McFadden and Foote or draft based on the completxities of the defense.

If we look FA, look at anyone available on a Dom capers or Jim Haslett defense as those are very similar to Dick Lebeaus

In fact there is an ILB who took over for Desmond Bishop and DJ Smith on the inside when they got hurt and he played awesone and he is a FA. Cant think of his name.

StainlessStill
02-06-2013, 03:52 PM
Ahmad Bradshaw has just been released by the Giants. Giants fans sad to see him go. I'm not a big rahrah free agent type, but I'd look at this as a possibility. Bradshaw would immediately bring attitude to our backfield and that's exactly what we need. Would be a nice splash for once.

PhantomJB93
02-06-2013, 04:10 PM
Wouldn't mind Bradshaw. Better than rolling out anybody currently on the roster. I'd still rather have Jackson though if we're going for FAs.

(Also, David Wilson will absolutely tear it up for the Giants next year)

FrancoLambert
02-06-2013, 06:20 PM
Ahmad Bradshaw has just been released by the Giants. Giants fans sad to see him go. I'm not a big rahrah free agent type, but I'd look at this as a possibility. Bradshaw would immediately bring attitude to our backfield and that's exactly what we need. Would be a nice splash for once.

When he's healthy.

He's always seems to be injured and lately more frequently.

Would't go near Greene or Hillis. Greene = Dwyer.

Hawaii 5-0
02-07-2013, 12:43 AM
The Pittsburgh Steelers have Expressed Interest in CFL OL Jovan Olafioye

By Kyle Curry on February 6, 2013

The Pittsburgh Steelers have expressed interest in Jovan Olafioye an offensive lineman from the Canadian Football League.

Olafioye has played the last three seasons with the B.C. Lions. Olafioye was the best offensive lineman in the CFL in 2012 and is hoping to make an NFL roster in 2013.

Olafioye has the ability to play both offensive tackle positions. He went unstaffed out of North Carolina Central and signed with the Lions of the CFL.

Fifteen teams have worked out Olafioye, but according to KFFL the Steelers have interest in signing him.

The Steelers have Marcus Gilbert, Mike Adams, and Kelvin Beachum who can all play tackle, but they will lose Max Starks this off-season.

Olafioye is only 25 so he is equal to an older draft pick, but he already has three years of Pro Football experience.

He also possess tremendous size and is listed at 66″ and 325 pounds.

If the Steelers sign him they will have fewer holes to fill on the offensive line. Olafioye could also fight for a starting job if he is as good as advertised.

http://steelblitz.com/the-pittsburgh-steelers-have-expressed-interest-in-cfl-ol-jovan-olafioye/2568/2013/02/06

kan_t
02-07-2013, 01:14 AM
The Pittsburgh Steelers have Expressed Interest in CFL OL Jovan Olafioye

By Kyle Curry on February 6, 2013

The Pittsburgh Steelers have expressed interest in Jovan Olafioye an offensive lineman from the Canadian Football League.

Olafioye has played the last three seasons with the B.C. Lions. Olafioye was the best offensive lineman in the CFL in 2012 and is hoping to make an NFL roster in 2013.

Olafioye has the ability to play both offensive tackle positions. He went unstaffed out of North Carolina Central and signed with the Lions of the CFL.

Fifteen teams have worked out Olafioye, but according to KFFL the Steelers have interest in signing him.

The Steelers have Marcus Gilbert, Mike Adams, and Kelvin Beachum who can all play tackle, but they will lose Max Starks this off-season.

Olafioye is only 25 so he is equal to an older draft pick, but he already has three years of Pro Football experience.

He also possess tremendous size and is listed at 66″ and 325 pounds.

If the Steelers sign him they will have fewer holes to fill on the offensive line. Olafioye could also fight for a starting job if he is as good as advertised.

http://steelblitz.com/the-pittsburgh-steelers-have-expressed-interest-in-cfl-ol-jovan-olafioye/2568/2013/02/06

Rumor is that the Ravens offered him a contract before. He rejected it as it didn't meet his asking price. If that's true I say the Steelers' chance of getting him is very slim.

IowaSteeler927
02-07-2013, 02:35 AM
I would love to see Shonn Greene in a Steelers jersey! From a homer standpoint being a Hawkeyes fan I'd love nothing more than to see one of my favorite Hawks ever join my favorite NFL team. As a Steelers fan and football fan in general I think he could honestly be a good fit. He's not a burner but he doesn't go down easily and I think he was a victim of teams stacking up to take away the run from the Jets because Mark Sanchez just doesn't put fear into the heart of any defense. I think he's a good back and he seems to stay relatively healthy despite taking a pounding and dishing it out as well. I think he's better than Mendenhall, Jonathan Dwyer, or Isaac Redman for that matter. I can imagine he wouldn't command a huge contract either.

wwhickok
02-07-2013, 05:41 AM
What about Darrius Heyward Bay? (Did i even spell his name right?)

Sounds like the Raiders will cut him and Palmer and it sounds like hr'll come cheap due to his disappointing season. He is a fast receiever who has been reliable (though he wasnt last season). Mayne a cheaper version of Wallace? (Wallace is better imo but not as cheap)

steelfury02
02-07-2013, 09:08 AM
Giants Bradshaw released - 2.75 mil - only 26 yrs old - what does everyone think of having him back there? - I know he just had foot surgery so not sure what his timeline is

Steelers5895
02-07-2013, 09:24 AM
Bey - yes, Bradshaw- not sure. We would need a reliable back up as he plays hard and get shurt and usually misses 6 games a year.

wouldnt it be comical if we signed him and brandon jacobs? why not, they ran for 2 rings

steelfury02
02-07-2013, 09:42 AM
Bey - yes, Bradshaw- not sure. We would need a reliable back up as he plays hard and get shurt and usually misses 6 games a year.

wouldnt it be comical if we signed him and brandon jacobs? why not, they ran for 2 rings

that scenario wouldn't be the worse thing - but, Jacobs I think is another one of the "fat cats" we've been talking about - not sure I'd want him - I'm sure the Steelers are hoping to find another RB on the dirt cheap - I think that is a fair price for Bradshaw - problem is - sooooo much money already having to be restructured, cleared out - not sure 2.75 mil at the RB is something they can afford to do.

We might just see someone in the mid-rounds at RB - here's the thing - when was the last time a rookie RB took enough pressure off a QB for a SB run?

Nothing from either situation would be a sure thing - my guess is they are hoping for health all around as our stable of servicable backups was working to the tune of 5-3 and beating the champs. We do need another offensive leader to emerge - hope it comes this season.

Bane
02-07-2013, 02:29 PM
Giants Bradshaw released - 2.75 mil - only 26 yrs old - what does everyone think of having him back there? - I know he just had foot surgery so not sure what his timeline is

He's supposed to be back in time for offseason workouts. I think Bradshaw is the perfect player to catalyze this offense. He's got attitude (not the Mike Wallace kind), and can break some nice runs- an attribute we've sorely missed since Fast Willie was in his prime.

Bane
02-07-2013, 02:32 PM
What about Darrius Heyward Bay? (Did i even spell his name right?)

Sounds like the Raiders will cut him and Palmer and it sounds like hr'll come cheap due to his disappointing season. He is a fast receiever who has been reliable (though he wasnt last season). Mayne a cheaper version of Wallace? (Wallace is better imo but not as cheap)

I went/am going back to University of Maryland. People there have been saying, "He's got more names than catches," for years. He's a burner, but doesn't have the ability to make crucial (and sometimes even the simplest) catches. I'd rather not bring him in, personally.

wwhickok
02-07-2013, 03:37 PM
I'm went/am going back to University of Maryland. People there have been saying, "He's got more names than catches," for years. He's a burner, but doesn't have the ability to make crucial (and sometimes even the simplest) catches. I'd rather not bring him in, personally.

Sorta sounds like Wallace for 1/4 the price.

Bane
02-07-2013, 06:32 PM
Sorta sounds like Wallace for 1/4 the price.

Maybe. But I'd rather not have the constant drops.

SteelersCanada
02-07-2013, 06:52 PM
We're not in the horrific cap shape that guys like Bouchette want you to believe. In fact, if Timmons, Ben and Woodley restructure we're above the cap. Albeit, not a whole lot above the cap, but we're still working in positive territory.

Now, that being said, the purge should be made this year instead of putting us in horrific cap shape next year as well. Since they aren't restructuring, we don't have a ton of room to operate as we'll need to be able to sign our draft picks and sign whatever free agents we decide to keep (Lewis, Sanders and McLendon). Unfortunately, because of this, we can't operate under the assumption we'll have the cap room for guys like Bradshaw, Heyward-Bey or Bowe.

Next year is a different story but this year, we're cap strapped as it is.

wwhickok
02-07-2013, 08:52 PM
Maybe. But I'd rather not have the constant drops.

Sorta like we do now? I don't disagree.