PDA

View Full Version : 5 Risky prospects that could help

kent
02-06-2013, 09:18 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1517526-pittsburgh-steelers-5-risky-prospects-that-could-help-the-steelers-in-2013#/articles/1511318-power-ranking-the-top-50-players-in-2013-nfl-free-agency

Came across this article on Bleacher report and thought it was interesting. My breakdown:

1. Da'Rick Rogers, WR
- With Mike Wallace almost guaranteed gone, we will need another receiver anyways. This guy has the physical abilities and provides that tall receiver we lack. Performed very well in his last season competing in the SEC, not sure about this last year with Tennessee Tech. Off field concerns but reminds me of the kind of player and situation that Josh Gordon was in last year and he turned out well in his first year with the Browns. If he's available in the 3rd, I think its worth the chance.

2. Tyrann Mathieu, DB
- To be honest I forgot about this guy regarding the draft. His off field issues are concerning but this guy was flat out the best college football player in the country 2 years ago. He is undersized NFL wise but I could see him as a turnover machine and would definitely help the return game which lacked field position last year. We lost Rainey and I dont feel comfortable with AB returning kicks anymore with his fumbles and would rather just let him focus on receiving.

3. Marcus Lattimore, RB
- Probably the most hyped and talked about running back in college football the past few years. His injury is nasty and who knows when he would be able to or if he would be an effective back. Rb in this draft is a big need for the Steelers this year IMO.

4. Jarvis Jones, OLB
- His medical condition doesnt concern me. This is an obvious need for the Steelers especially when James Harrison is gone. However, unless we trade up I think there is no way we get this guy.

5. Ezekiel Ansah, DE
- Physical freak and could turn out to be a stud pass rusher. Played in a small conference just like JPP. Seems to be raw but I think a team will take a chance on him in the mid 1st round and doubt he will be available for us.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-06-2013, 11:42 AM
I like the idea of Lattimore getting picked!!

Ansah, I dont think is a fit in a 3-4. He showed well at the Senior Bowl, but I watched him vs SD State in the Pointsettia bowl and he wasnt as big a factor as Kyle Van Noy was. He's a guy with more upside to a 4-3 defense.

SteelersCanada
02-06-2013, 11:56 AM
I like Rogers, Lattimore and Jones being picked but I agree with Gonzo - I don't think Ansah is a 3-4 OLB. Also, Honey Badger is a shithead so no, I don't want him on this team.

kent
02-06-2013, 12:03 PM
Yeah i was thinking Ansah is a little too raw for us. He'll benefit a 4-3 team in which all they will want him to do is line up and rush the edge every play.

kan_t
02-06-2013, 12:26 PM
If Jarvis Jones falls to #17, picking him is not risky at all. It's a no-brainer pick.

kent
02-06-2013, 12:29 PM
If Jarvis Jones falls to #17, picking him is not risky at all. It's a no-brainer pick.

I agree, I think the author was worried about his spinal condition

SteelersCanada
02-06-2013, 12:30 PM
I agree, I think the author was worried about his spinal condition

It does set off some alarms and raise some flags for him to be a top 10 pick, but if he is available at 17 then I feel like it's worth the risk.

PhantomJB93
02-06-2013, 03:17 PM
I'm shocked how all of a sudden everyone got so concerned with his spinal condition. I mean I get that it's a concern but all season long he was considered a slam-dunk top 3 pick, even worthy of #1 overall by some, even with everyone knowing about the condition, and then seemingly overnight he's been dropped by everyone to around where we pick, and nothing as far as I can tell warranted that. He didn't re-injure himself recently or have surgery or anything did he? I don't remember hearing anything.

teegre
02-07-2013, 12:53 AM
I have been on & remain on the "Lattimore in the fourth" bandwagon.

I think that his talent is worth that risk.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
02-07-2013, 07:59 AM
All those guys mention either have character issues/off the field problems or have or had serious injuries expect ansah

The past few years character issues/off the field problems and injuries have plagued this team. Some character concerns have come up year after year and injuries really hurt us this past year.

Im guessing the steelers will try and steer clear of these 2 problems this draft.

I understand the argument on Marcus but 2 serious knee injuries will concern the steelers very much. We are in need of a number one back right now, Marcus can be that but it's a extremely high risk. If the steelers are set on Dwyer then drafting Marcus 4th or later to heal a year or two would be fine. But I believe we need a stud rb right away with a clean bill of health to come in to start and be reliable.

kan_t
02-07-2013, 11:34 AM
All those guys mention either have character issues/off the field problems or have or had serious injuries expect ansah

The past few years character issues/off the field problems and injuries have plagued this team. Some character concerns have come up year after year and injuries really hurt us this past year.

Im guessing the steelers will try and steer clear of these 2 problems this draft.

I understand the argument on Marcus but 2 serious knee injuries will concern the steelers very much. We are in need of a number one back right now, Marcus can be that but it's a extremely high risk. If the steelers are set on Dwyer then drafting Marcus 4th or later to heal a year or two would be fine. But I believe we need a stud rb right away with a clean bill of health to come in to start and be reliable.
The problem is that I don't really see any stud RB in the first few rounds this year.

67 calsteel
02-12-2013, 12:13 PM
I will add a late round player.RAY RAY ARMSTRONG FAULK university(FORMER MIAMI HURRICANE)
Has a number of offield issue (one tweeting that he had a dinner with a marketing rep was one of them.

6-4 220 IS big ,athletic and fast with physical talent just hasn't been dominant on the field.
prefect late round pick for Lake

Sharkissle29
02-12-2013, 01:05 PM
I have been on & remain on the "Lattimore in the fourth" bandwagon.

I think that his talent is worth that risk.

Marcus Lattimore was my favorite college RB since i watched him tear it up his freshman year. With that being said, as much as I love him, i think it is too big of a risk. 2 serious knee injuries is a lot to come back from. His last year, you could tell he was not the same runner. Although he was still good, he didn't run with the authority he once had and rightfully so. Add another injury to the mix and I am just not too sure. It is unfortunate, but as another posted earlier, we need a RB right NOW.

It was a dream of mine before his injuries that he would put on a Steeler uniform. But now unfortunately, I have to say I pass which is hard because he is a great guy. Someone will give him a chance, I just hope it's not Pittsburgh.

FrancoLambert
02-12-2013, 05:25 PM
Wouldn't take a chance on Lattimore.

We can't afford to gamble with his history.

teegre
02-12-2013, 07:05 PM
Marcus Lattimore was my favorite college RB since i watched him tear it up his freshman year. With that being said, as much as I love him, i think it is too big of a risk. 2 serious knee injuries is a lot to come back from. His last year, you could tell he was not the same runner. Although he was still good, he didn't run with the authority he once had and rightfully so. Add another injury to the mix and I am just not too sure. It is unfortunate, but as another posted earlier, we need a RB right NOW.

It was a dream of mine before his injuries that he would put on a Steeler uniform. But now unfortunately, I have to say I pass which is hard because he is a great guy. Someone will give him a chance, I just hope it's not Pittsburgh.

There you go: using smarts & facts & logic. :wink02:

SteelersCanada
02-12-2013, 07:12 PM
Wouldn't take a chance on Lattimore.

We can't afford to gamble with his history.

He's worth a third / fourth round pick - I'll tell ya that. The possible reward we'd get from taking such a small risk could be unbelievable.

Sharkissle29
02-12-2013, 07:53 PM
He's worth a third / fourth round pick - I'll tell ya that. The possible reward we'd get from taking such a small risk could be unbelievable.

Then who do you say is our RB this year? I just think the reward is too great right now, we need every pick to count this draft.

I much rather have Montee Ball or Stepfan Taylor.

SteelersCanada
02-12-2013, 08:23 PM
Then who do you say is our RB this year? I just think the reward is too great right now, we need every pick to count this draft.

Lattimore for our starting 'Back - if he's healthy and from all accounts, he's going to be. I don't know if he'll be ready come combine time or even his pro-day, but I feel sure that if the Steelers are willing to take a risk on him in the middle-rounds, then they're going to be absolutely certain he's ready to go.

I'm not against either Ball or Taylor - I think they're both very talented. People keep dismissing this RB class and I really don't know why as there could be quite a few 'diamonds in the rough'.

Sharkissle29
02-12-2013, 08:38 PM
Lattimore for our starting 'Back - if he's healthy and from all accounts, he's going to be. I don't know if he'll be ready come combine time or even his pro-day, but I feel sure that if the Steelers are willing to take a risk on him in the middle-rounds, then they're going to be absolutely certain he's ready to go.

I'm not against either Ball or Taylor - I think they're both very talented. People keep dismissing this RB class and I really don't know why as there could be quite a few 'diamonds in the rough'.

Last I heard he was planning on sitting out the upcoming season, maybe something changed. Time will tell I guess.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
02-12-2013, 08:54 PM
Da'Rick Rogers in the 3rd would be worth the risk if he didn't have character issues he would be the first receiver off the board.

teegre
02-12-2013, 11:27 PM

AP came back in 7 months. Let's say Lattimore takes a full year... that would be October.

With the new "IR designee" rule, he could sit out the first six weeks, on IR, and then be placed back onto the roster... which would be October.

Some things to consider...