PDA

View Full Version : Ravens ahead of Steelers, but change can come quickly

Hawaii 5-0
02-07-2013, 12:20 AM
Ravens are ahead of the Steelers, but change can come quickly

By Alan Robinson
Published: Tuesday, February 5, 2013

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=Iquom dwNq$vQn5oNWbEqYc$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYv0rYrdSyfeAl8 77i$8XcrIWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

NEW ORLEANS — It can change that quickly.

Two months and three days since the Steelers won at Baltimore behind Charlie Batch, the Ravens — despite losing four of five to end the season — are Super Bowl champions.

“This has been a long journey, and I don't think it would be quite as enjoyable as it would have been if we hadn't gone through all this stuff,” quarterback and Super Bowl MVP Joe Flacco said Monday.

With the Steelers facing major issues at wide receiver, running back and possibly cornerback, the question is whether the Ravens — by winning their second Super Bowl — have lengthened the distance that already existed between the two rivals.

When the Ravens won their other Super Bowl in 2000, they were 12-4 and the Steelers were third at 9-7. But a season later, the Steelers went 13-3 to the Ravens' 10-6 and beat Baltimore in the playoffs.

So how do the Ravens and Steelers match up right now for 2013?

QUARTERBACK: Flacco will be back with the Ravens, even if it costs them about $20 million. He said Monday he wants to be “a Raven for life.” Ben Roethlisberger has won two Super Bowls.

RUNNING BACK: The Steelers are coming off their second-worst rushing season in 30 years and don't have a clear-cut lead runner. The Ravens bring back two Pro Bowlers: Ray Rice and fullback Vonta Leach.

WIDE RECEIVER: Torrey Smith, Anquan Boldin and Jacoby Jones all return on a Ravens offense on which only left tackle Bryant McKinnie is an unrestricted free agent. The Steelers might lose top downfield threat Mike Wallace.

OFFENSIVE LINE: The Steelers could lose two of their steadiest players regardless of position in Max Starks and Ramon Foster, leaving them with potentially their most inexperienced lines in years. Guards Kelechi Osemele and Marshal Yanda, center Matt Birk and right tackle Michael Oher all return on the Ravens line.

DEFENSIVE LINE: The Steelers are expected to shed Casey Hampton, which puts even more pressure on Ziggy Hood, Cam Heyward and Steve McLendon to produce. All the Ravens' starters are back.

LINEBACKERS: Once the Steelers' strength, they need LaMarr Woodley to have a bounce back year and James Harrison to stay healthy. Larry Foote may leave. For the Ravens, 13-time Pro Bowl linebacker Ray Lewis will retire, and inside linebacker Dannell Ellerbe is an unrestricted free agent.

SECONDARY: The Ravens face a potential shakeup with cornerback Cary Williams and safety Ed Reed both unrestricted free agents. Cornerback Corey Graham and safety Bernard Pollard return. Steelers safeties Troy Polamalu and Ryan Clark are getting older but both figure to start next season unless a surprise move is made. Cornerback Keenan Lewis could leave as an unrestricted free agent.

SPECIAL TEAMS: The punters and kickers for both teams are under contract.

http://triblive.com/sports/nfl/3422738-74/ravens-steelers-bowl#ixzz2KBhU3tip

aa14
02-07-2013, 11:14 AM
Just because change can come quickly doesn't mean it will. The odds are heavily in Baltimore's favour to continue to own the division for the next three or four seasons. Ozzie isn't going to let the team fall apart, that is just every other AFCN team's wet dream.

wwhickok
02-07-2013, 12:03 PM
Further more how sure are we that Anquan is actually going to.be back with Baltimore?

I get that the Steelers face some real issues but lets not go hit the panic button yet. We are a Shonn Greene, Darrius Hayward Bey, and Keenan Lewis signing away from being just fine...with a really good draft

StainlessStill
02-07-2013, 12:11 PM
Cincy's the team nobodies talking about. They have one of the best situations going into next season. The Steelers still have, statistically, the #1 defense in the league and will only get better with health and youth, especially on the d-lne with promising young corners.

Big Ben showed he can be in considering for league MVP when healthy if he can buy into a new direction on offense so their window is by no means closed.

However, Baltimore has won the North by the skin of their teeth the last few years, backed in this year (losing 4 of their last 5) made a run ANY team could make when qualifying ('05 Steelers, '07 Giants, '08 Cardinals,'10 Packers anyone?) and now have to pay their QB who just a few months ago, the FO didn't want anything to do with contract negotiations. Balty made a nice run in the playoffs, but by no means am I afraid of that success continuing in the slightest.

Hell, we were a few fumbles away this season from being 11-5, 12-4 ourselves and seeing Balty in the playoffs once more, the same team put together that Charlie Batch beat. Steelers always rebound. Going to be nice to see the necc changes.

EbonySteel86
02-07-2013, 12:34 PM
This article made me sad all over again.

steelfury02
02-07-2013, 12:57 PM
you can pick and choose what to discuss like any article

don't forget Chaz beating Bmore - and as you all have told and educated me on - MATCHUPS.

Ravens v. Colts - Rookie QB, nuff said
Ravens v. Broncos - Ravens WR > Broncos Secondary
Ravens v. Patriots - Ravens O-line > Patriots D-line
Ravens v. Niners - Ravens Secondary > 49ers receivers

The Ravens got healthy, and their strengths emerged at the perfect time, against the perfect teams with the right weaknesses.

You can analyze corp v. corp all you want, but, sometimes you are a team of destiny - like someone said before (can't remember - but props :thumbsup:) When you make it to the playoffs 5 times in a row - you are bound to advance eventually.

We're all 0-0. Don't forget the Ravens are finally over the hump and might feel satisfied until 2014 season.

maddog78
02-07-2013, 01:13 PM
The Ravens are over the cap without Flacco on the books. His contract is going to send others packing. They finally got a Super Bowl just before their window closed. Bully for them.

I'm more worried about Cincy going forward.

harrison'samonster
02-07-2013, 01:32 PM
Cincy's the team nobodies talking about. They have one of the best situations going into next season. The Steelers still have, statistically, the #1 defense in the league and will only get better with health and youth, especially on the d-lne with promising young corners.

Big Ben showed he can be in considering for league MVP when healthy if he can buy into a new direction on offense so their window is by no means closed.

However, Baltimore has won the North by the skin of their teeth the last few years, backed in this year (losing 4 of their last 5) made a run ANY team could make when qualifying ('05 Steelers, '07 Giants, '08 Cardinals,'10 Packers anyone?) and now have to pay their QB who just a few months ago, the FO didn't want anything to do with contract negotiations. Balty made a nice run in the playoffs, but by no means am I afraid of that success continuing in the slightest.

Hell, we were a few fumbles away this season from being 11-5, 12-4 ourselves and seeing Balty in the playoffs once more, the same team put together that Charlie Batch beat. Steelers always rebound. Going to be nice to see the necc changes.

very good points. I see no reason to worry next season. I have faith that this team will be able to correct some of the mistakes that helped them lose games.

Also, as you mention, Roethlisberger when healthy gives us a chance to win any game. We just need to help him stay that way, that's why I think a RB who demands the other teams respect is a must.

lloydwoodson
02-07-2013, 03:27 PM
Just because change can come quickly doesn't mean it will. The odds are heavily in Baltimore's favour to continue to own the division for the next three or four seasons. Ozzie isn't going to let the team fall apart, that is just every other AFCN team's wet dream.

If by own the division you mean split games with the Steelers backup quarterbacks, and have an 0-2 playoff record vs the Steelers and Flacco having a 2-6 record vs Ben then... yes, the Ravens own the division. :hatsoff:

aa14
02-07-2013, 03:49 PM
If by own the division you mean split games with the Steelers backup quarterbacks, and have an 0-2 playoff record vs the Steelers and Flacco having a 2-6 record vs Ben then... yes, the Ravens own the division. :hatsoff:

No, that's not what I meant by "owning the division". The Ravens own the last two division titles and the latest Super Bowl. Talking about the games that become more and more distant is pointless. The Ravens and Steelers are different teams. It's been quite awhile since the Steelers were a dominating force in the league and I see nothing that will change that going into the next season. Ben is one year older, one year further beaten due to a horrendous o-line. Flacco no longer has Cam Cameron holding him back and what a difference it has made. :thumbsup::hug:

steelerschik
02-07-2013, 04:09 PM
No, that's not what I meant by "owning the division". The Ravens own the last two division titles and the latest Super Bowl. Talking about the games that become more and more distant is pointless. The Ravens and Steelers are different teams. It's been quite awhile since the Steelers were a dominating force in the league and I see nothing that will change that going into the next season. Ben is one year older, one year further beaten due to a horrendous o-line. Flacco no longer has Cam Cameron holding him back and what a difference it has made. :thumbsup::hug:

So you can see into the future seeing that the steelers won't be dominating next season, huh? The ravens are going to lose players, their vocal leader will be gone (good frickin riddance) and you have no idea how anyone is going to play on the ravens team next season. What I saw of the ravens was a blown 28-6 lead and one blown noncall away from losing the sb. If you think the ravens are the dominating force, you're delusional. I'm more concerned on how cincy is gonna be next season than the ravens.

aa14
02-07-2013, 05:22 PM
So you can see into the future seeing that the steelers won't be dominating next season, huh? The ravens are going to lose players, their vocal leader will be gone (good frickin riddance) and you have no idea how anyone is going to play on the ravens team next season. What I saw of the ravens was a blown 28-6 lead and one blown noncall away from losing the sb. If you think the ravens are the dominating force, you're delusional. I'm more concerned on how cincy is gonna be next season than the ravens.

The Ravens almost lost the Superbowl, you got me there. Thankfully we are just so lucky, we magoo'ed our way to the title. Every team loses players during the season, many teams also have cap issues. Not every team has Ozzie Newsome though. He is the key to keeping our team strong and most steeler fans know he should be able to. I didn't say the Ravens are the "dominating force", I said they will continue to own the division title. Not that delusional. In fact I'd argue you're the delusional one for not thinking the defending Superbowl champions are in prime position to win another DT. Ozzie won't let the team fall apart, sorry. :tt:

steelerschik
02-07-2013, 05:35 PM
The Ravens almost lost the Superbowl, you got me there. Thankfully we are just so lucky, we magoo'ed our way to the title. Every team loses players during the season, many teams also have cap issues. Not every team has Ozzie Newsome though. He is the key to keeping our team strong and most steeler fans know he should be able to. I didn't say the Ravens are the "dominating force", I said they will continue to own the division title. Not that delusional. In fact I'd argue you're the delusional one for not thinking the defending Superbowl champions are in prime position to win another DT. Ozzie won't let the team fall apart, sorry. :tt:

So do tell, what's Ozzie's favorite food, his pet's names, his social security number, etc. I mean you seem to know him personally and what he will and won't do, you must know all the above. The Ravens blew a huge lead. That is an issue and should be a concern. Their defense is old and ain't all that and yes, luck was definitely on the raven's side. You have no clue who is gonna win the division. You have no clue what ozzie will do and frankly I don't care. The Rooney's are the best in the business and I wouldn't want ozzie. Ozzie has nothing to do whether the team falls apart or not and no apologies needed. They're just the ravens, that's all they are, nothing more, nothing less and no more of a worry than any other season. Do you see any other color besides purple?

Oh and LOL at all the times you refer to the dirty birds as sb champs is hysterical. Better repeat it cause it could be another decade or so before you are able to say it again. One win in 13 years, 2 total sbs. Wooo. You need a lesson in winning, but being a ravens fan, probably not necessary.

aa14
02-07-2013, 05:40 PM
Ozzie has nothing to do whether the team falls apart or not...

I've never heard anything more ignorant regarding football in my life. The GM is one of the most important roles of the team. I don't really know what else to say, I'm actually at a loss. If you don't know the importance of the GM in professional football I don't think we have much else to discuss. Yeesh. :noidea:

harrison'samonster
02-07-2013, 05:40 PM
Do you see any other color besides purple?

he might have wandered into McDonalds at the wrong time and he's getting crushed by Grimace. This could be a serious emergency

harrison'samonster
02-07-2013, 05:41 PM
I've never heard anything more ignorant regarding football in my life. The GM is one of the most important roles of the team. I don't really know what else to say, I'm actually at a loss. If you don't know the importance of the GM in professional football I don't think we have much else to discuss. Yeesh. :noidea:

oh thank god you're ok

steelerschik
02-07-2013, 05:44 PM

Do you understand how football works at all genius? Do you understand a team can fall apart several ways besides losing players to FA? Can the Great and Powerful OZ prevent injuries? You know, those things the steelers were plagued with this year that can cause a team to FALL APART? I mean I know the Great and Powerful OZ is your hero and all, but man I want some of his super powers if he can guarantee the team won't fall apart at all. Wow, he really is the Great and Powerful OZ. Get real.

SteelersCanada
02-07-2013, 05:45 PM

Can I ask you a serious question?

What do you get out of coming onto Steelers' boards and talking up and defending the Ravens? I don't understand - you're acting like a complete dick and are somehow surprised when the backlash is quick and brutal.

Seriously, if you're just going to ride the Ravens' dick and not provide anything to the conversation then I think I speak for all of SteelerNation when I say - get the fuck off these boards. Now, if you're going to contribute to the conversation and actually say intelligent things that can be debated instead of inserting the Ravens' balls firmly in your mouth, then by all means, enjoy your stay.

steelerschik
02-07-2013, 05:47 PM
oh thank god you're ok

OMG, I once thought he was at least 14. I now think he's 4. So sad. This is why we as steelers fans are fortunate to have won as many SBs as they have. We know how to handle winning, but I guess when you're not used to it, I should be more understanding. I almost feel sympathetic.

FrancoLambert
02-07-2013, 05:51 PM
:sign02:

JackH
02-07-2013, 05:52 PM

Lol. Now this is what I would call a delusion of grandeur.

If the Ravens had lost that first game against the Steelers they would not have even made the playoffs, right? As I recall, the Ravens won 13-10, although the Steelers could have won despite Leftwich playing, and playing most of the game hurt.

C'mon, man. Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining.

steelerschik
02-07-2013, 06:05 PM

Oh noes, how will I go on in life? The hurt of not having another discussion with you runs so deep, I ....don't .... think..... I'll....survive............Good-bye cruel world.

aa14
02-07-2013, 06:24 PM
Lol. Now this is what I would call a delusion of grandeur.

If the Ravens had lost that first game against the Steelers they would not have even made the playoffs, right? As I recall, the Ravens won 13-10, although the Steelers could have won despite Leftwich playing, and playing most of the game hurt.

C'mon, man. Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining.

What kind of reasoning is that? If we lost that game... you won that game... if Flacco fell down some stairs and broke his arm... yeah, things would have turned out differently. They didn't. I'm not the one living in hypotheticals.

Oh, and even if you magically turn our 1st meeting into a loss we still would have made the playoffs. We would have had one more road game. Flacco is the king of road games in the playoffs. Everyone but Steeler fans think the Ravens are the favourites for the division at this point. Is it certain? Far from it. Steeler vs Raven games are always closely contested, regardless of who plays in them. Almost all of our star defensive players were injured and/or out at sometime during the season, it's part of the game. We had some of our best players OUT during both Steeler games . It goes both ways.:toofunny:

JackH
02-07-2013, 06:36 PM
What kind of reasoning is that? If we lost that game... you won that game... if Flacco fell down some stairs and broke his arm... yeah, things would have turned out differently. They didn't. I'm not the one living in hypotheticals.

Oh, and even if you magically turn our 1st meeting into a loss we still would have made the playoffs. We would have had one more road game. Flacco is the king of road games in the playoffs. Everyone but Steeler fans think the Ravens are the favourites for the division at this point. Is it certain? Far from it. Steeler vs Raven games are always closely contested, regardless of who plays in them. Almost all of our star defensive players were injured and/or out at sometime during the season, it's part of the game. We had some of our best players OUT during both Steeler games . It goes both ways.:toofunny:

This kind of reasoning is known as critical thinking.

How do the Ravens make the playoffs if I magically turn that first meeting into a Steelers win? Both teams would have been 9-7, Steelers win tie breaker due to beating the Ravens twice, Bengals win division at 10-6.

And I don't consider having the same record as another team in your division as dominating the division, even though you won the division on a tie breaker.

aa14
02-07-2013, 06:39 PM
This kind of reasoning is known as critical thinking.

How do the Ravens make the playoffs if I magically turn that first meeting into a Steelers win? Both teams would have been 9-7, Steelers win tie breaker due to beating the Ravens twice, Bengals win division at 10-6.

And I don't consider having the same record as another team in your division as dominating the division, even though you won the division on a tie breaker.
You're assuming we still lose to the Bengals in our last game when we were resting our starters, it's a moot point. You really think we would have lost that game after we just finished cleaving through the absolute cream of the crop of the AFC and the NFC champions? You can think that if you want but THAT would be delusional.

Blacksburg Zach
02-07-2013, 06:51 PM
You're assuming we still lose to the Bengals in our last game when we were resting our starters, it's a moot point. You really think we would have lost that game after we just finished cleaving through the absolute cream of the crop of the AFC and the NFC champions? You can think that if you want but THAT would be delusional.

Right, it's delusional to think that one NFL team, a division rival no less, can beat another NFL team.:doh: And for that matter, who's "we?" I didn't realize you and other Ravens fans were out there making tackles, scoring touchdowns, or making football decisions for the Ravens.

JackH
02-07-2013, 06:56 PM

The Ravens came into that last game with the Bengals having lost 3 of their last 4 games (losses to the Steelers, Redskins, Broncos, and a win against the Giants). It would have been having lost 4 of their last 5 but for that lucky win against the Chargers where the Ravens converted a 4th and 29 yards to go late in the game.

That last game was at Cincy. If that game would have meant anything and the Ravens played all their starters, I would have picked the Bengals. Vegas probably would have too.

steelerschik
02-07-2013, 07:00 PM
The Ravens came into that last game with the Bengals having lost 3 of their last 4 games (losses to the Steelers, Redskins, Broncos, and a win against the Giants). It would have been having lost 4 of their last 5 but for that lucky win against the Chargers where the Ravens converted a 4th and 29 yards to go late in the game.

That last game was at Cincy. If that game would have meant anything and the Ravens played all their starters, I would have picked the Bengals. Vegas probably would have too.

You mean the 4th and 28 they converted that the rest of the National Football League saw, that 4th and 29, er 28, oh what the hell, might as well just give it to them, I mean the the refs did anyway so why not.

aa14
02-07-2013, 07:13 PM
Right, it's delusional to think that one NFL team, a division rival no less, can beat another NFL team.:doh: And for that matter, who's "we?" I didn't realize you and other Ravens fans were out there making tackles, scoring touchdowns, or making football decisions for the Ravens.

LOL! Haven't heard someone say that before. Being reprimanded for considering myself part of the Ravens nation... BIG MISTAKE!!! Yikes... :tt::tt:

aa14
02-07-2013, 07:17 PM

And in retrospect it is easy to see you and vegas would have been wrong to such a pick. The Bengals did nothing in the post season and the Ravens ended Luck, Manning, Brady, and the 49ers in stunning fashion. If the last game meant anything at all you can bet Ray-Ray would have busted out his retirement news to the team before the game. Is it possible they could have lost? Sure, but to think that is the probable outcome is laughable.

Blacksburg Zach
02-07-2013, 07:20 PM
LOL! Haven't heard someone say that before. Being reprimanded for considering myself part of the Ravens nation... BIG MISTAKE!!! Yikes... :tt::tt:

Yep, I was definitely reprimanding you for being a Ravens fan, or being a member of "Ravens nation" as you call it. I was just asking who "we" was because that implied that you and other Ravens fans were out there beating other NFL teams. When I talk about the Steelers, I say the Steelers, not "we." It has nothing to do with you being a Ravens fan, for I don't like when any fan refers to his/her team as "we," even Steelers fans.

steelerschik
02-07-2013, 07:21 PM

Ravens nation, LOLOLOLOLOLOL, there's no such thing, LOLOLOLOL. Ravens nation, that's a good one. I'll bring that up at work tomorrow so we all can have a good laugh.

Lady Steel
02-07-2013, 07:25 PM
Is it possible they could have lost? Sure, but to think that is the probable outcome is laughable.

Really? Tell that to the Patriots fan who ran his mouth around here declaring that the Patriots would not only go to the Super Bowl, but that the chances of them losing were pretty slim. :laughing:

http://www.steelersfever.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94791

Shit happens.

aa14
02-07-2013, 07:32 PM
Really? Tell that to the Patriots fan who ran his mouth around here declaring that the Patriots would not only go to the Super Bowl, but that the chances of them losing were pretty slim. :laughing:

http://www.steelersfever.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94791

Shit happens.

Yeah, it happens. I said they could have lost. Shit happens. That doesn't make it probable and in hindsight I don't see how anyone could argue it. We disposed of four teams all better than the bengals. We beat the Broncos in their house. We beat the Patriots in their house (62-0 record for BB going into half-time /w the lead)... You think it's probable we would have lost to the bungles? :noidea:

aa14
02-07-2013, 07:35 PM
Ravens nation, LOLOLOLOLOLOL, there's no such thing, LOLOLOLOL. Ravens nation, that's a good one. I'll bring that up at work tomorrow so we all can have a good laugh.
:blah:
Maybe it will mitigate the pain for you and your friends just enough to forget the Ravens won the superbowl for a minute or two. Maybe.

Lady Steel
02-07-2013, 07:36 PM
You think it's probable we would have lost to the bungles? :noidea:

You lost to Charlie Batch, so yeah.

steelerschik
02-07-2013, 07:41 PM
:blah:
Maybe it will mitigate the pain for you and your friends just enough to forget the Ravens won the superbowl for a minute or two. Maybe.

LOL, the sad part is you think I care. Your need for validation from steelers fans is beyond pitiful. Please reveal your age.

Lady Steel
02-07-2013, 07:44 PM
Steelers girls rock! :tt: aa14 doesn't stand a chance. :laughing:

aa14
02-07-2013, 07:45 PM
You lost to Charlie Batch, so yeah.

Well thank goodness Steeler fans' dreams don't change the past. :tt:

aa14
02-07-2013, 07:48 PM
LOL, the sad part is you think I care. Your need for validation from steelers fans is beyond pitiful. Please reveal your age.

You don't care the Ravens won? If the Ravens missed the dance and watched the Steelers win a title I would care. I would hope my team gets its act together to try and compete next season. The last team I would want to win a superbowl is the Patriots... closely followed by you guys. It would've stunk and thank heavens it isn't a reality.

Lady Steel
02-07-2013, 08:10 PM
Well thank goodness Steeler fans' dreams don't change the past. :tt:

Nope. Having those 6 Lombardi Trophies will NEVER change. :thumbsup:

steelerschik
02-07-2013, 08:12 PM
You don't care the Ravens won? If the Ravens missed the dance and watched the Steelers win a title I would care. I would hope my team gets its act together to try and compete next season. The last team I would want to win a superbowl is the Patriots... closely followed by you guys. It would've stunk and thank heavens it isn't a reality.

Now, before I get into the shower and retire for the night, I will explain this to you in adult fashion. No, I don't care the ravens won. I wasn't rooting for them, but I never root for anyone when the steelers aren't in the sb. I have been watching the steelers since the 70s and saw them win all their trophies and saw the 2 sbs they lost. Here's something a mature football fan knows, your team isn't gonna be there every year. Ain't gonna happen. When you're on top as long as the steelers always are and have high draft picks, other teams who have had lower picks prosper. It's the NFL, it happens. The steelers aren't gonna be in the POs or SB every year. I can live with that. They're the most successful franchise in the NFL and I know when they're down it's never for long. I'm mature enough to not care about the sb if the team I root for isn't in it. But you're young and I don't expect you to understand this thought process.

aa14
02-07-2013, 08:14 PM
Now, before I get into the shower and retire for the night, I will explain this to you in adult fashion. No, I don't care the ravens won. I wasn't rooting for them, but I never root for anyone when the steelers aren't in the sb. I have been watching the steelers since the 70s and saw them win all their trophies and saw the 2 sbs they lost. Here's something a mature football fan knows, your team isn't gonna be there every year. Ain't gonna happen. When you're on top as long as the steelers always are and have high draft picks, other teams who have had lower picks prosper. It's the NFL, it happens. The steelers aren't gonna be in the POs or SB every year. I can live with that. They're the most successful franchise in the NFL and I know when they're down it's never for long. I'm mature enough to not care about the sb if the team I root for isn't in it. But you're young and I don't expect you to understand this thought process.

You've lost your feeling for the rivalry and that is sad. At least there are still many Steeler fans feeling this should be huge motivation for the team. The dreaded RATBIRDS... COME ON!!! :tt:

JackH
02-08-2013, 07:58 AM
You've lost your feeling for the rivalry and that is sad. At least there are still many Steeler fans feeling this should be huge motivation for the team. The dreaded RATBIRDS... COME ON!!! :tt:

That's lame as a three-legged dog when a Ratbird wanker trolls a Steelers forum to gloat.

aa14
02-08-2013, 10:38 AM
That's lame as a three-legged dog when a Ratbird wanker trolls a Steelers forum to gloat.

Thanks for the reply. Too bad it has nothing to do with any type of conversation being had. :blah:

FrancoLambert
02-08-2013, 01:48 PM
:sign02:

Riddle_Of_Steel
02-08-2013, 03:10 PM
I am already looking forward to next season.

* Ravens over the cap and don't even have Sacko under contract.
* Complacency, complacency, complacency.....
* No Ray-Ray to save their season anymore.
* Probably no Ed Reed either, unless he agrees to play for peanuts or free gatorade.
* Boldin too expensive to keep (unless they get rid of Flacco).
* Suggs' mouth looks like a horse's brown-eye (sorry- had to add it)

And we might get to play them in Baltimore to open the season? Mwuhaahaaahaaa.....

I vote 41-0, like the way the Steelers welcomed the expansion Browns to the league in their mistake-by-the-lake home operner in 1997. I will never forget the smug grin on Cowher's face that day...was priceless.

aa14
02-08-2013, 03:23 PM

* Probably no Ed Reed either, unless he agrees to play for peanuts or free gatorade.

And we might get to play them in Baltimore to open the season? Mwuhaahaaahaaa.....

I vote 41-0, like the way the Steelers welcomed the expansion Browns to the league in their mistake-by-the-lake home operner in 1997. I will never forget the smug grin on Cowher's face that day...was priceless.

There is nothing I'd like more than a week 1 opener vs. the steelers. What you listed, especially Suggs' mouth, are all valid concerns for us. I believe in Ozzie though, I think he will get a deal done /w Flacco that will make everyone happy. It will suck to lose either Reed or Boldin but I'd rather keep Boldin at this point.

Riddle_Of_Steel
02-08-2013, 09:35 PM
There is nothing I'd like more than a week 1 opener vs. the steelers.

I don't know man, but almost every season, yet another fanbase falls for the same gag-- thinking that their team, who won the SB a few months ago, should still be the same dominant team.

If the home opener is set against us, do you really want a hungry, refreshed, pissed off Steelers team coming to your house to start the season? Your defensxe will be emotionally gutted after the satisfaction of a championship and with Ray Lewis gone.

What you listed, especially Suggs' mouth, are all valid concerns for us.

That thing is a valid concern...

I believe in Ozzie though, I think he will get a deal done /w Flacco that will make everyone happy. It will suck to lose either Reed or Boldin but I'd rather keep Boldin at this point.

Ozzie has done pretty well for you guys. I think where your team showed its superiority this year was in its roster depth. Your guys got bit by the injury bug too, but the Steelers were hanging on to a few fat cats for too long, and it was tying up money that could have been spent to sign some depth in other areas.

Your backups stepped up. Ours did stupid shit.

Has Reed fallen that far? I admittedly don;t get to watch the Ravens that much unless we are playing you. Reed still looks like a ball hawk to me.

But it seems the league is really bending the rules in favor offenses, so it might be more important to keep a WR that your QB has a proven chemistry with, if it comes down to it.

SteelersCanada
02-08-2013, 09:42 PM
As I posted earlier on a Ravens board, I really don't want a Steelers - Ravens week 1 game. Save those games for late November / early December when it's cold, physical and these games mean everything to both teams. Put them both in primetime and watch the best rivalry in football, arguably sports, play.

jacobo
02-08-2013, 10:17 PM
As I posted earlier on a Ravens board, I really don't want a Steelers - Ravens week 1 game. Save those games for late November / early December when it's cold, physical and these games mean everything to both teams. Put them both in primetime and watch the best rivalry in football, arguably sports, play.

Well you know they're going to put them a week apart just when we're at our most vulnerable. NFL schedule makers are some of the biggest trolls in the country.

LW56
02-08-2013, 10:17 PM

Wrong...the rats are 0-3 vs. the Steelers in the playoffs.:thumbsup:b

LW56
02-08-2013, 10:22 PM

He is a loser at life...He says "we" because he lives vicariously through the ravens.

LW56
02-08-2013, 11:12 PM

The Rats don't own the division sport...the Steelers just let division opponents borrow it from time to time:

Steelers 20 division titles
Bungles 7
Clowns 6
Rats 4

The Steelers are undefeated (9-0) when playing division opponents in playoff games:

3-0 vs. the Rats
2-0 vs. the Clowns
1-0 vs. the Bungles
3-0 vs. the then Houston Oilers

The Steelers own winning records vs each division opponent:

63-57 vs the Clowns
53-33 vs the Bungles
21-15 vs the Rats

Think of the AFCN as a cage made of STEEL and owned by a Steeler... and in this cage are three little animals, a tiger, a dawg, and a raven ratbird.
The Steeler on occasion will let one of you filthy animals out of the cage and let you become the division champs.

Back into the cage next year ratbird.

aa14
02-09-2013, 12:00 AM
He is a loser at life...He says "we" because he lives vicariously through the ravens.

How is this type of filth allowed? If I started calling Steeler fans "losers at life" I'd be banned in a heartbeat. He has three posts in a row designed to lure me into the lowest of low type of conversation. You guys really want this type of malcontent roaming your forum? I'm not going to address anything he said because nothing good can come of it. Disgusting. :banging:

aa14
02-09-2013, 12:03 AM
Well you know they're going to put them a week apart just when we're at our most vulnerable. NFL schedule makers are some of the biggest trolls in the country.

I really hope not. Although Ben was injured for both games having them almost back to back was definitely anti-climatic. I want a week one showdown because only because I am so hungry for more football and nothing says football to me more than Ravens vs. Steelers. I know it's probably not the best for either of our teams, especially for the Ravens.

sluggermatt15
02-23-2013, 10:29 AM
How are the Ravens "ahead" of the Steelers?

If we are talking about a historical perspective, it's not even close. The Steelers are lightyears ahead of the Ravens in terms of success, tradition, and fan base.

What about the present? I think the Steelers are in a different phase than the Ravens. Pittsburgh is starting to experience age on defense, have to work with cutting spending on big contracts, and having to turnover their veterans and bring in some younger players through free agency or the draft. But that's not new. Every team goes through it. It's just that different teams go through it at different times. It's part of the game.

If you want to argue Baltimore is "younger" than Pittsburgh, then okay, I agree. They have more young "up and coming" players than Pittsburgh at RB, WR, and a few positions on defense. So what though? The Steelers have plenty of young guys, but they have to step up and make an impact. If they can do that, then I don't see why these teams aren't on the same page here.

steeltheone
02-23-2013, 11:14 AM
How are the Ravens "ahead" of the Steelers?

If we are talking about a historical perspective, it's not even close. The Steelers are lightyears ahead of the Ravens in terms of success, tradition, and fan base.

What about the present? I think the Steelers are in a different phase than the Ravens. Pittsburgh is starting to experience age on defense, have to work with cutting spending on big contracts, and having to turnover their veterans and bring in some younger players through free agency or the draft. But that's not new. Every team goes through it. It's just that different teams go through it at different times. It's part of the game.

If you want to argue Baltimore is "younger" than Pittsburgh, then okay, I agree. They have more young "up and coming" players than Pittsburgh at RB, WR, and a few positions on defense. So what though? The Steelers have plenty of young guys, but they have to step up and make an impact. If they can do that, then I don't see why these teams aren't on the same page here.

Nothing matters except RIGHT NOW......RIGHT NOW they are the Champs. I can;t stand the Ravens and never will but at this point they are the team to beat. Great motivation!!

harrison'samonster
02-23-2013, 11:22 AM
Every time the Ravens have a better year than the Steelers we hear this about the Ravens taking charge, or being in charge of the division. They won it last year, good for them, congratulations. Their fans should enjoy the victory.

However, at this point everybody is 0-0 and nothing is going to be given. Nobody is in charge of the division and believing media hype can get a team in trouble.

sluggermatt15
02-23-2013, 11:25 AM
Nothing matters except RIGHT NOW......RIGHT NOW they are the Champs. I can;t stand the Ravens and never will but at this point they are the team to beat. Great motivation!!

If you look at it that way, then okay fine I agree. Steelers have to go out there and knock them off next year. It's been a few years since we have won the division. There would be nothing like dethroning the defending champs.

Every time the Ravens have a better year than the Steelers we hear this about the Ravens taking charge, or being in charge of the division. They won it last year, good for them, congratulations. Their fans should enjoy the victory.

However, at this point everybody is 0-0 and nothing is going to be given. Nobody is in charge of the division and believing media hype can get a team in trouble.

Yep, it's a new year. Everything is earned, not handed out. The Steelers will have to demonstrate they deserve to win.

VaDave
02-23-2013, 12:20 PM
Speaking of the Ravens, Matt Birk has announced his retirement and is donating his brain to science........ Seriously, I'm not making this up.....

harrison'samonster
02-23-2013, 12:42 PM
Speaking of the Ravens, Matt Birk has announced his retirement and is donating his brain to science........ Seriously, I'm not making this up.....

that's going to be a big spot for them to fill. especially considering that OL has been a big strength for them this past year.

blknpurplepainc
02-23-2013, 09:08 PM
Do you understand how football works at all genius? Do you understand a team can fall apart several ways besides losing players to FA? Can the Great and Powerful OZ prevent injuries? You know, those things the steelers were plagued with this year that can cause a team to FALL APART? I mean I know the Great and Powerful OZ is your hero and all, but man I want some of his super powers if he can guarantee the team won't fall apart at all. Wow, he really is the Great and Powerful OZ. Get real.

No excuse with the injuries bc the Ravens had them too. Didn't Batch put up more points in his last game against the Ravens then Ben did? It's not the Ravens fault Ben is hurt when it's time to play the Ravens

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

SteelersCanada
02-23-2013, 09:11 PM
No excuse with the injuries bc the Ravens had them too. Didn't Batch put up more points in his last game against the Ravens then Ben did? It's not the Ravens fault Ben is hurt when it's time to play the Ravens

More Ravens fans on here?

31g0YE61PLQ

Also, the Ravens were playing without Ray Lewis - whoop-dee-doo. We were playing without our franchise Quarterback and Joe Flacco struggled against Charlie Batch. It's actually kind of funny, if Jacoby Jones doesn't take that punt back for a TD in the first match up, the Ravens don't even make the playoffs.

blknpurplepainc
02-23-2013, 09:19 PM

Like that 35 to 7 beat down and the Steelers are in cap hell

SteelersCanada
02-23-2013, 09:20 PM
Like that 35 to 7 beat down and the Steelers are in cap hell

I can already tell you're just on here to be a dick, so I'm just gonna say this for the rest of Steeler Nation.

YhkNLHictW8

Go 'Lers
02-25-2013, 11:17 AM
What gives me hope that we can hang with Baltimore is that 2 games last year against our backup quarterbacks were still V E R Y competitive.

Charlie Batch lead the drive that beat Baltimore...in Baltimore. He's an aging 37 year old backup and he lead the team to victory. But thats not even the game that sticks out in my mind...

...for as badly as Leftwich played the team played pretty well. The score may have ended up in a 13-10 loss but who remembers Harbuagh's facial expression and demeanor as he went to mid field to shake Tomlin's hand. His team won but he knew the beaten-up Steelers hung in there the entire game!

Obviously there is much to address but head to head I still believe we can match up well with the Ravens. (and possibly still be able to get the best of them)

VaDave
02-25-2013, 02:44 PM
Purple,

Winter is coming sooner than you think. Enjoy the sun while you can. In this league it's short lived. Very short.

steelersforever58
02-25-2013, 02:49 PM
Certainly everyone can do as they please, but I don't understand why anyone responds to other teams fans posting here. Ignore them and they will go away.

harrison'samonster
02-25-2013, 02:51 PM
Certainly everyone can do as they please, but I don't understand why anyone responds to other teams fans posting here. Ignore them and they will go away.

I agree, and I tend to make the mistake very often of encouraging the trollers' stupidity.

However, there are some on here who are enjoyable to talk to, and I appreciate their input.

JeromeBetties63
02-25-2013, 03:14 PM
Ravens and Steelers are both 0-0 and I would pick us over the Ratbirds to win the division in 2013-14.