PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh fire sale: The Steelers could lose every one of their FAs

Hawaii 5-0
02-07-2013, 01:35 PM
Pittsburgh fire sale: The Steelers could lose every one of their free agents

Submitted by 60 Max Power O Staff on February 7, 2013

How did the Pittsburgh Steelers get into this situation? The usually fiscally sound organization has fallen on hard times with the salary cap.

The philosophy of pushing money into the future ended with the new CBA, and the Steelers are at the front of the line for paying back it’s long due credit line.

According to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, if you thought last year was tough, this year will be brutal.

He’s referring to the impending slashing of veterans as the “March Massacre.” Pittsburgh’s GM Kevin Colbert gave an indication in January that major changes were going to happen, but no one expected what Bouchette is envisioning:

“The Steelers could lose every one of their free agents, and they might have to lose a few more veterans if they don’t agree to take less money in 2013, they are so far over the salary cap that they would not be able to fill a 53-man roster without doing all of that,” Bouchette said.

Bouchette continues:

“The bloodletting that occurred last year when they released three longtime stars could be a drop in the bucket as to what occurs over the next month, which could resemble their March Massacre.”

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/pittsburgh_fire_sale_the_steelers_could_lose_every _one_of_their_free_agents/12862057

harrison'samonster
02-07-2013, 01:41 PM
I still will be surprised when it happens, but it's nice to know that it might be that big of a change.

Steelers>NFL
02-07-2013, 01:52 PM
Bring it!

Steelers5895
02-07-2013, 01:58 PM
The thing with the NFL is teams can go from worst to first in a year. You bring the right young talent in and keep the right veterans, along with sound coaching it can happen. Especially when you have a franchise QB.

Teams that stink for long period of times do not get good QB play or dont have that QB of the future or franchise QB>

I'm ok with the purge. I am used to seeing top names not get resigned or cut, its the steeler way.

This year trading down is a must to stock pile picks. trade trade trade anyone on defense with value like harrison, woodley or Troy as they are brand names.

go 6-10 in 2013 and get a top 10 pick and make the run in 2014.

SteelersCanada
02-07-2013, 02:07 PM
If it means we're bringing in young guys, let's do it. Oh, and if it means we're getting a legitimate RB, let's do it.

wwhickok
02-07-2013, 02:35 PM
Ive said it before and ill say it again. We persevere. Idc, we are winning the division for the next 2two seasons. Yes im that blindly confident.

Look I realize how crazy my prediction is but if there is one thing im lacking when it comes to the Steelers it aint faith and it aint confidence.

jacobo
02-07-2013, 02:57 PM
Mclendon is the only one I desperately want back. We're solid at corner without lewis and Lake proved he's a HELL of a db coach. Draft a receiver to fill in for Wallace, try to get someone to split carries in the backfield, hire a fucking good conditioning coach so we're not playing with fifty different o line combos next year.

Fire Arians
02-07-2013, 09:14 PM
wRnSnfiUI54

DanRooney
02-07-2013, 10:11 PM
This year trading down is a must to stock pile picks. trade trade trade anyone on defense with value like harrison, woodley or Troy as they are brand names.

Absolutely not. We throw a plethora of our later round picks away anyway.

Now is the time to DRAFT AN IMPACTFUL PLAYER in the first round and second rounds.

No more Ziggy Hoods (misfit in our D), Cameron Heywards (barely plays), Jason Worilds (sucks), O-linemen who get injured, etc.

Blacksburg Zach
02-07-2013, 10:26 PM
Ive said it before and ill say it again. We persevere. Idc, we are winning the division for the next 2two seasons. Yes im that blindly confident.

Look I realize how crazy my prediction is but if there is one thing im lacking when it comes to the Steelers it aint faith and it aint confidence.

Haven't you heard? The Steelers are done, the Bengals are better than the Steelers, and the Ravens will dominate the AFC North for years to come. At least, that's what Ravens fans on this board are saying, and we all know they are always right.:chuckle:

kan_t
02-08-2013, 01:57 AM
This year is for the Steelers to re-tool. As long as the Steelers have a good QB, they will stay competitive. Just ask the Colts.

Bayz101
02-08-2013, 04:10 AM
Absolutely not. We throw a plethora of our later round picks away anyway.

Now is the time to DRAFT AN IMPACTFUL PLAYER in the first round and second rounds.

No more Ziggy Hoods (misfit in our D), Cameron Heywards (barely plays), Jason Worilds (sucks), O-linemen who get injured, etc.

Worilds sucks? Than why is it he leads the team in sacks and he's not even a starter? Every time he's in the game he's beating up the QB's in seems like.

Rick5895
02-08-2013, 04:21 AM
There will be a purge, no doubt. Trading down for extra picks makes sense only if the player targeted in Round 1 will still be available for us. IMO, we have an immediate need at safety and ILB. If Vaccaro is there at 17 he should be taken, if he is gone and we can trade down and get Elam (5-0 scenario) then fine.
I agree with Rooney we need an impactful player in round 1 and round 2.
All this being said though, we need to attempt to keep Lewis if possible and not purge too many vets, (I'm for keeping Keisel) If we are not careful I see another decade like the 80's coming on.

wwhickok
02-08-2013, 04:32 AM
Haven't you heard? The Steelers are done, the Bengals are better than the Steelers, and the Ravens will dominate the AFC North for years to come. At least, that's what Ravens fans on this board are saying, and we all know they are always right.:chuckle:
:sofunny:
Yeah...about that..:blah::rofl:

steelfury02
02-08-2013, 06:38 AM
There will be a purge, no doubt. Trading down for extra picks makes sense only if the player targeted in Round 1 will still be available for us. IMO, we have an immediate need at safety and ILB. If Vaccaro is there at 17 he should be taken, if he is gone and we can trade down and get Elam (5-0 scenario) then fine.
All this being said though, we need to attempt to keep Lewis if possible and not purge too many vets, (I'm for keeping Keisel) If we are not careful I see another decade like the 80's coming on.

I think Lewis, Starks in that order should be priority. I know it would be extremely hard to keep both and Starks does deserve a solid pay day. Question - would Wallace's money still be available after all the cuts, or would we potentially be using that dough to spread around to the depth of the other positions?

I don't believe in getting rid of all 3 O-lineman - Starks, Foster, Legursky - someone in our O-line is gonna go down (inevitable) and not having any of those guys is reaaaaallly askin for it.

On the other side - we need to keep either Harrison or Keisel - I'm not seeing a way to keep both. Thoughts?

Did anyone hear about Ryan Clark taking down his twitter - I've heard its a potential sign or that he did it much like Legursky - too cut down on the fan speculation before they know what will actually happen?

maddog78
02-08-2013, 07:02 AM
trade trade trade anyone on defense with value like harrison, woodley or Troy as they are brand names.

Guys who are chronically injured and/or on the wrong side of 30 do not bring much trade value.

maddog78
02-08-2013, 07:03 AM
Worilds sucks? Than why is it he leads the team in sacks and he's not even a starter? Every time he's in the game he's beating up the QB's in seems like.

Worilds played better on Woodley's side than he did early in the year when replacing Harrison. That said, I'm guessing at least half his sacks resulted from missed assignments - I remember him running through air to get to at least two of them.

VaDave
02-08-2013, 09:46 AM

Good post. I was thing the same thing about this reminding me of the early 80s. One big difference, Ben, warts and all, is still way better that anybody we had at that position in the 80's sans Bradshaw.

Speaking of FAs, we have 20 more players at the end of their contracts next year too. This is going to be a huge roster flip the likes we've not seen since 1969 when Noll took over.

VaDave
02-08-2013, 09:54 AM
Worilds played better on Woodley's side than he did early in the year when replacing Harrison. That said, I'm guessing at least half his sacks resulted from missed assignments - I remember him running through air to get to at least two of them.

Worilds IMO is a better every down LB than Woodley. No question. That said, he lacks 50% of the big play but seldom used potential Woodley has. Lumbering Lamar does have the wow factor going for him, but on a play by play basis, Worlids does a much more consitent job.

All things considered, if Hood would play like a 1st rounder should, it would help both of those guys a lot..

SteelersCanada
02-08-2013, 10:17 AM
People saying that guys like Troy, Harrison, Keisel, etc. are chronically injured and don't bring trade value aren't wrong, but fortunately for us, organizations like the Jets and Raiders exist so we can dump our garbage on them and get draft picks. You're forgetting that the Raiders gave up first round picks for Carson Palmer.

If those kind of deals take place, I'm sure a team that needs a Safety, ROLB and DE would give up a fairly high pick for one or two of those guys.

Steelers5895
02-08-2013, 10:32 AM
People saying that guys like Troy, Harrison, Keisel, etc. are chronically injured and don't bring trade value aren't wrong, but fortunately for us, organizations like the Jets and Raiders exist so we can dump our garbage on them and get draft picks. You're forgetting that the Raiders gave up first round picks for Carson Palmer.

If those kind of deals take place, I'm sure a team that needs a Safety, ROLB and DE would give up a fairly high pick for one or two of those guys.

amen. sometimes its not about winning its about selling tickets. you get a troy and it draws interest and sells seats.

i think Troy and Harrison have one more good year left. I would say keep them.

if we can find takers i would say lets look to trade these players:

Heyward
Hood
Woodley
Taylor

Harrison will be cut though and that will eliminate the getting rid of woodley.

SteelersCanada
02-08-2013, 10:38 AM
amen. sometimes its not about winning its about selling tickets. you get a troy and it draws interest and sells seats.

i think Troy and Harrison have one more good year left. I would say keep them.

Heyward
Hood
Woodley
Taylor

Harrison will be cut though and that will eliminate the getting rid of woodley.

Heyward is only in his second year and is still improving - there's no way I trade him. As for Hood and Woods, I don't get rid of them either. We need to start using Hood effectively and we need to give Woodley a year to rebound after his injury marred 2012. I also don't trade Taylor as he's a true shutdown CB in the NFL and showed that against AJ Green and Torrey Smith earlier this year. All but one of those guys are under 30 as well - we don't need to unload the young talent, but we do need to unload the older guys.

Now, if we're talking about trading Troy, Keisel, Harrison and the possibility of Clark depending on who we draft, then I take those deals. A team with cap room that wants to trade for defensive talent and make a run for a title would be interested in at least one of those guys. Package two or three together, and we have a high pick involved now. You say they have one good year left and I say they're taking up 20 million dollars in cap room - we don't restructure that for future cap room hell. We cut that shit out right and restart with two young safeties in the backfield and a young pass-rusher to play opposite Woodley.

We're thinking the same way, just not with the same players haha.

maddog78
02-08-2013, 11:06 AM

Heyward
Hood
Woodley
Taylor

Who in God's name will be starting on the DL if you trade Heyward and Hood?

Some of you people need to relax. This team is not getting dismantled because they went 8-8 after two straight 12-4 seasons.

VaDave
02-08-2013, 11:14 AM

Some of you people need to relax. This team is not getting dismantled because they went 8-8 after two straight 12-4 seasons.

Woods, and McCLendon??? Now that should scare the snot out of a few OCs......

Actually this team is going to be dismantled period, and not because of an 8-8 record. We could have as many as 21 new faces for 2013, and could have 20 players next year who's contracts expire in 2014...... Better yet, this isn't a great draft coming up, and we don't have the cap space to bring in upper level FA talent......

These people are spazzing over 8-8, are going to LOVE the next couple of years......

SteelersCanada
02-08-2013, 11:19 AM
Better yet, this isn't a great draft coming up, and we don't have the cap space to bring in upper level FA talent.

This is the best defensive draft we've had in a long time. It just worked out that we need defensive playmakers and we can find them in every round this years draft. On offense it's weak, you're right, but this draft is all about defense.

Steelers5895
02-08-2013, 11:40 AM

we need to get DE's who fit our system, thats who. We have a 1st rounder who gets blown off the ball on running plays and another who cant get on the field and cant crack the line up over Hodo who is underachieving and an aging keisel.

So you rather have 2 square pegs playing in round holes? if we get value, i am not saying give away, these guys we can look to fill those spots with more appropriate players.

Steelers5895
02-08-2013, 11:40 AM
Woods, and McCLendon??? Now that should scare the snot out of a few OCs......

Actually this team is going to be dismantled period, and not because of an 8-8 record. We could have as many as 21 new faces for 2013, and could have 20 players next year who's contracts expire in 2014...... Better yet, this isn't a great draft coming up, and we don't have the cap space to bring in upper level FA talent......

These people are spazzing over 8-8, are going to LOVE the next couple of years......

nah i went through the mid 80's

VaDave
02-08-2013, 11:49 AM
nah i went through the mid 80's

I went through the 60's..... really!! When I was in highschool, I played the halftime show for the OJ Simpson Bowl vs the Eagles. People today just don't get that over the last 40 years we've been treated to some of the best football ever played.

67 calsteel
02-08-2013, 12:02 PM
the 2014 free agents of note
Clark-(34)
Keisel(35)
Cochery (31)
Hood (25)
Worlds(24)
Wood (25)

are the only players that actually play.Plus Keisel and Clark will probably retire.
Hood want have to much demand
Woods the same
Worlds could be signed to a reasonable contract.

The_Joker
02-08-2013, 12:05 PM
the 2014 free agents of note
Clark-(34)
Keisel(35)
Cochery (31)
Hood (25)
Worlds(24)
Wood (25)

are the only players that actually play.Plus Keisel and Clark will probably retire.
Hood want have to much demand
Woods the same
Worlds could be signed to a reasonable contract.

Heyward was a solid plug to fill in for Smith, but we need a Keisel replacement if he leaves then. Hood is NOT the answer. Clark, same thing, I say draft a Safety this or next year. Hood is a solid backup, keep him. Worrilds and Wood, eh, who cares.

zcoop
02-08-2013, 06:11 PM
I went through the 60's..... really!! When I was in highschool, I played the halftime show for the OJ Simpson Bowl vs the Eagles. People today just don't get that over the last 40 years we've been treated to some of the best football ever played.

:drink: It has been a pretty good ride over the years (competitive). But we now find ourselves in uncharted waters. We have never been in a financial situation like the one we're in now. Hopefully we can work through it, I have no desire to re-live the 80"s and 90"s (competitive but no rings) again. A few bad moves and we could find ourselves in a tighter pickle.

Steel95
02-08-2013, 09:22 PM
Traditionally, the Front Office has always gotten it right. I've been following the team since 1974, they know what they have to do. There is only two Free Agents I think is worthy of bringing back - McLendon and Keenan Lewis. Everybody else, could care less.

charlesk
02-09-2013, 01:19 AM

That's one thing everyone can agree upon. There are some teams run by morons out there. As for the Raiders I personally think Al Davis was in with the Mob (gambling and pointspread issues); how else can you explain all the mental retardation in Oakland since the early 1990's? They pawned their future several times for aging stars well past their primes (Russell Maryland Larry Brown in 1996, Seymour, Palmer), the list goes on. There are other poorly run teams though. The Chargers, Chiefs, Jets, and Bears I think are all poorly run.

Gnutella
02-10-2013, 10:16 AM
There is only two Free Agents I think is worthy of bringing back - McLendon and Keenan Lewis. Everybody else, could care less.

Those two, Will Allen, and maybe Plaxico Burress are the only free agents I want back as well. Somebody said Max Starks, but I think Todd Haley and the new offensive line coach want smaller, more nimble offensive linemen, and Starks is not a good fit. Neither is Willie Colon, for that matter. Expect both of them to be gone.

Brett Keisel and James Harrison are both too expensive for their age and recent performance, but I'd like to see both of them take a pay cut instead of being cut outright. I believe they can both contribute for one more season. And if I had to choose between keeping Ike Taylor or Keenan Lewis right now, I say keep Lewis, because it puts the team in a better long-term situation.

Here's how I see the draft priority for the Steelers:

1. OLB
2. RB
3. WR
4. QB (depth)
5. ILB (depth)
6. G/T (depth)

The_Joker
02-10-2013, 10:30 AM
Keep Plaxico, Foster, Legursky, Lewis, Starks, McLendon, Dwyer, Redman and Sanders

The rest, gut 'em if they aren't worth it. Keisel, Troy and Harrison need to take a pay cut.

Also, give Hampton a goodbye ceremony.

casteeler
02-10-2013, 11:25 AM

I'm glad some people think the Steelers are dominant,The Bengals ARE better than the Steelers and so are the Ravens. I can recall the 3rd quarter of the last game this year when the Browns with a 3rd string QB looked like they were gonna beat this team, when the Steelers vaunted run game and improved offensive line couldn't gain 1 yard on 2 downs to move the chains.The Steelers are in major trouble and Steeler fans scoff at teams like the Browns, the Browns are doing a hell of a lot better than the Steelers rebuilding their team and most are too proud to acknowledge it.

Blacksburg Zach
02-10-2013, 11:34 AM
I'm glad some people think the Steelers are dominant,The Bengals ARE better than the Steelers and so are the Ravens. I can recall the 3rd quarter of the last game this year when the Browns with a 3rd string QB looked like they were gonna beat this team, when the Steelers vaunted run game and improved offensive line couldn't gain 1 yard on 2 downs to move the chains.The Steelers are in major trouble and Steeler fans scoff at teams like the Browns, the Browns are doing a hell of a lot better than the Steelers rebuilding their team and most are too proud to acknowledge it.

Who said anything about dominant? I just think that they will be competitive, and I believe they will make the playoffs next year while having a better season than the Bengals and possibly beating the Ravens for the division title. I didn't realize that optimism was the same thing as thinking a team is dominant.:noidea:

steelfury02
02-10-2013, 03:14 PM
Keep Plaxico, Foster, Legursky, Lewis, Starks, McLendon, Dwyer, Redman and Sanders

The rest, gut 'em if they aren't worth it. Keisel, Troy and Harrison need to take a pay cut.

Also, give Hampton a goodbye ceremony.

yea -isn't there a "win one for player X" left in the tank? - plenty of guys to pick from . . .

The_Joker
02-10-2013, 03:58 PM
yea -isn't there a "win one for player X" left in the tank? - plenty of guys to pick from . . .

Keisel still has it, he was behind 'Hofen for so long he has less milage. He had a great season this year.

Harrison though... this may be his final hoorah.

SteelersCanada
02-10-2013, 04:24 PM
The Bengals are better than the Steelers? You're right, the redheaded step-child Quarterback is better than Roethlisberger. Oh, nevermind the fact that we held AJ Green to one catch for 8 yards when Taylor was healthy, that team is straight up dominate. That secondary - look out. They're so good and not at all overrated.

The Bengals aren't better than the Steelers and it's not even close. Do they have a better front 7? Sure. Do they have a better overall WR corp? No, and despite popular belief, AJ Green is their only surehanded receiver. So, stop with the bullshit after one season because frankly, it's getting old seeing it. It's from the same 4 - 5 guys that make every single topic into a 'x team is better than us because of ridiculously ignorant and stupid x reason'. There's enough threads out there that put the Bengals' and Ravens' balls in your mouth - keep the stupidity in those please.

steelfury02
02-10-2013, 05:12 PM
The Bengals are better than the Steelers? You're right, the redheaded step-child Quarterback is better than Roethlisberger. Oh, nevermind the fact that we held AJ Green to one catch for 8 yards when Taylor was healthy, that team is straight up dominate. That secondary - look out. They're so good and not at all overrated.

The Bengals aren't better than the Steelers and it's not even close. Do they have a better front 7? Sure. Do they have a better overall WR corp? No, and despite popular belief, AJ Green is their only surehanded receiver. So, stop with the bullshit after one season because frankly, it's getting old seeing it. It's from the same 4 - 5 guys that make every single topic into a 'x team is better than us because of ridiculously ignorant and stupid x reason'. There's enough threads out there that put the Bengals' and Ravens' balls in your mouth - keep the stupidity in those please.

Any given Sunday - The Bengals defense does deserve praise for bringing their A game and winning it in our house for the last playoff spot. Don't underestimate their D - I agree with you about Dalton and Green - they have yet to beat a dominate defense - meaning -they haven't taken the team on their shoulders against an elite D

Funny thing is - it feels like the emergence of Carson Palmer all over again. Don't worry - Bengals ownership will dump them and start all over again because they overestimated their abilities at such an early stage, and won't give them the time to fully develop. They want what the Steelers and now Ravens have done - but they don't want to have to keep losing playoff games and being "battle tested" to do so. The Ravens won and deserved to because they've been put through the playoff fire for 5 straight seasons - it was only a matter of time. The Bengals are capable of taking the next step if they can get a consistent RB and Dalton another WR threat

LVSteelersfan
02-10-2013, 05:56 PM
Who actually thinks the Ratbirds will be better than us in the upcoming year? Not me. Not by along stretch. People say our defense is getting old. They are losing Lewis and probably Ed Reed. And all of you Hood haters have no clue what you are talking about. He is going nowhere and neither is Heyward. That defense was clicking on all cylinders until the injuries took us out of contention. Who the hell is Josh Victorian? It was not Hood and Heyward that caused that mess. It was the ineffective play of our outside LBs and the loss of Ike Taylor that sunk us last season. So get a clue.

FrancoLambert
02-10-2013, 06:12 PM
Who actually thinks the Ratbirds will be better than us in the upcoming year? Not me. Not by along stretch. People say our defense is getting old. They are losing Lewis and probably Ed Reed. And all of you Hood haters have no clue what you are talking about. He is going nowhere and neither is Heyward. That defense was clicking on all cylinders until the injuries took us out of contention. Who the hell is Josh Victorian? It was not Hood and Heyward that caused that mess. It was the ineffective play of our outside LBs and the loss of Ike Taylor that sunk us last season. So get a clue.

Agreed.

Now compare the offenses.

casteeler
02-10-2013, 08:28 PM
Agreed.

Now compare the offenses.

Ha:chuckle:

Hawaii 5-0
02-15-2013, 12:31 AM
Steelers GM Kevin Colbert: “We never want to be in a position where we have to gut the team”

Submitted by 60 Max Power O Staff on February 14, 2013

http://www.60maxpowero.com/patriots/sites/default/files/styles/large/public/field/image/images_510.jpg

Steelers’ general manager Kevin Colbert knows he has a daunting task in front of him. While many of the experts are predicting a mass exodus of veterans come March, Colbert believes he can keep the bleeding under control.

He thinks he can strike a balance by using creative thinking when it comes to the salary cap, then the Steelers can keep their top level talent, but Colbert admits some will have to go.

"Last year, we let go of significant players," Colbert said, via Albert Breer of NFL.com. "This year, that may or may not be the case. We never want to be in a position where we have to gut the team.

We want to compete every year. And this year, we weren't able to. We didn't get in the playoffs. And that was a failure.”

"But we want to avoid being in a position where we make that one-year, all-in run, then disappear."

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/steelers_gm_kevin_colbert_we_never_want_to_be_in_a _position_where_we_have_to_gut_the_team/12918976

tony hipchest
02-15-2013, 12:36 AM
in other words, colbert is on top of it and has a plan...

steeltheone
02-15-2013, 04:03 AM
in other words, colbert is on top of it and has a plan...

His plan needs to include a good draft.

teegre
02-15-2013, 07:28 AM
His plan needs to include a good draft.

People are continually complaining about the recent drafts, but while not flashy, they have been pretty darn good.

From left to right: Gilbert, Beachum, Pouncey, DD, Adams. Not flashy, but when is an O-lineman flashy??? Games are won (& lost) in the trenches.

Likewise, Hood & Heyward (although some argue over these two... but, even if deemed good picks, DEs aren't "flashy").

If you want some flash: Keenan Lewis, Cortez Allen, Mike Wallace, and AB.

Also, there have been several good back-up/developmental players: Chris Carter, Stevenson Sylvester, Jason Worilds, Baron Batch, Manny Sanders, Sean Spence, David Paulson, Jonathan Dwyer.

VaDave
02-15-2013, 08:08 AM
2008 was a bust, other than that I wouldn't exactly call them lousy. Yep, he missed on and at a few picks leaving some players that turned out well on the board, but name one GM that hasn't?

The deal this year is I'm afraid is we are going to have more holes that can be filled with draft picks. Our track record on bringing in front line FA talent ,other than Bettis, Farrior, and Hartings, has been a collection of castoffs and guys with one year left in the tank. We don't have a lot of cash to toss at it either.

steelfury02
02-15-2013, 08:20 AM
I have faith we will see no worse than an 8-8 record again. I really believe we'll at least be back at a wild card spot.

Do I want 12-4 and #2 seed every season - sure - but just not a realistic wish

steeltheone
02-15-2013, 08:53 PM
People are continually complaining about the recent drafts, but while not flashy, they have been pretty darn good.

From left to right: Gilbert, Beachum, Pouncey, DD, Adams. Not flashy, but when is an O-lineman flashy??? Games are won (& lost) in the trenches.

Likewise, Hood & Heyward (although some argue over these two... but, even if deemed good picks, DEs aren't "flashy").

If you want some flash: Keenan Lewis, Cortez Allen, Mike Wallace, and AB.

Also, there have been several good back-up/developmental players: Chris Carter, Stevenson Sylvester, Jason Worilds, Baron Batch, Manny Sanders, Sean Spence, David Paulson, Jonathan Dwyer.

From left to right...Pouncey is the only one of those players to date that has amounted to anything.

Hood Heyward....Hood was a good pick, Heyward has yet to do much

Flash?? 1 good season by Lewis and 4 good games by Allen is not " flashy" Wallace and Brown were good picks.

That last list of names are backups on most teams if they even make the roster.

SteelersCanada
02-15-2013, 09:03 PM
Flash?? 1 good season by Lewis and 4 good games by Allen is not " flashy" Wallace and Brown were good picks.

You could look at it like that, I guess. I look at it as Allen has come a long way since his rookie season and is now flashing his potential which, I think, is greater than Lewis'. Speaking of Lewis, that one good season showed that he too has come a long way and whatever Carnell is selling, the CBs are buying.

While I agree that all but one of those names haven't exactly amounted to anything, I'd argue that Manny Sanders has the most potential out of any of our WRs and has the potential to be an absolute stud. I think, with the right coaching, he can be a solid wide receiver in this league.

steeltheone
02-15-2013, 09:29 PM
You could look at it like that, I guess. I look at it as Allen has come a long way since his rookie season and is now flashing his potential which, I think, is greater than Lewis'. Speaking of Lewis, that one good season showed that he too has come a long way and whatever Carnell is selling, the CBs are buying.

While I agree that all but one of those names haven't exactly amounted to anything, I'd argue that Manny Sanders has the most potential out of any of our WRs and has the potential to be an absolute stud. I think, with the right coaching, he can be a solid wide receiver in this league.

I used to think Sanders had the most potential too and he still might, but its only potential..Going on year 4 and has done basically nothing.

teegre
02-16-2013, 12:21 AM
From left to right...Pouncey is the only one of those players to date that has amounted to anything.

Hood Heyward....Hood was a good pick, Heyward has yet to do much

1. Lewis had the second most passes defensed on the NFL.

2. Yes, those last players listed are back-ups on this team. Every team has back-ups. Your point? Depth is not a bad thing.

3. Aaron Rodgers didn't do anything for his first four seasons. Would you consider him a bad pick???

4. Find me a team that has done better in the past four drafts.

5. Better yet, with the luxury of hindsight, redraft 2009-2012. Who would you take instead?

lloydwoodson
02-16-2013, 12:28 AM

2. Yes, those last players listed are back-ups on this team. Every team has back-ups. Your point? Depth is not a bad thing.

3. Aaron Rodgers didn't do anything for his first four seasons. Would you consider him a bad pick???

5. Better yet, with the luxury of hindsight, redraft 2009-2012. Who would you take instead?

I agree with your general theme that the drafts have been good. The Steelers have added a lot of quality players over the last 4 years. However, when Ike Taylor was injured and Lewis took over the pass defense suffered tremendously. (To be fair Lewis had a hip brpblem as well late in the season). Also, Rodgers satt behind Brett Favre; Lewis sat behind William Gay- that is a major difference in talent.

steeltheone
02-16-2013, 08:23 AM
I agree with your general theme that the drafts have been good. The Steelers have added a lot of quality players over the last 4 years. However, when Ike Taylor was injured and Lewis took over the pass defense suffered tremendously. (To be fair Lewis had a hip brpblem as well late in the season). Also, Rodgers satt behind Brett Favre; Lewis sat behind William Gay- that is a major difference in talent.

You took the words right out of my mouth with Rodgers.

steeltheone
02-16-2013, 08:33 AM

1...Lewis has had 1 good year, not great. You take a real chance paying him big bucks and finding out it was just " 1 good year "

2...We drafted a few of those players to high and even as backups they are very average.

3..Farve

4... Without looking The Bengals for sure, Green is better than Wallace and AB combined, Dalton, the Dlineman, Gresham...i know they pick early and i know they screw everything up they do, but their drafts lately have been pretty good.

5..i'd have to look over the drafts, i don't get paid to draft good players. I also don't get the " Steelers draft so well " buzz, when we have not done that well in the last 5 or so years.

teegre
02-16-2013, 10:12 AM

The point is still the same:
A player is not a bad pick just because they do not play and/or aren't productive for the first few years of their career.

Whether it be because they are behind a HOFer, or because the DC prefers veterans over rookies, or because they are transitioning from a small school, or because they are making the switch from a DE to an OLB... some players just do not play much early in their careers.

Woodley didn't start his first year. Porter didn't start his first year. Polamalu was lost his first year. And, Rodgers did not play for four years. None of them were bad picks... despite the flawed logic that unless a player is immediately good, they are not a good pick.

Again, that is my point: for four years, people "could" (& did) call him a bad pick... even though that evaluation would be erroneous. Make sense?

Lastly, the pass defense suffered when Ike went out... because, in that same game, Lewis & Allen both went out (and subsequently, missed multiple games and/or played injured).

At one point, the CBs were Josh Victorian & Robert Golden... and Golden is a safety.

teegre
02-16-2013, 10:19 AM
1...Lewis has had 1 good year, not great. You take a real chance paying him big bucks and finding out it was just " 1 good year "

2...We drafted a few of those players to high and even as backups they are very average.

3..Farve

4... Without looking The Bengals for sure, Green is better than Wallace and AB combined, Dalton, the Dlineman, Gresham...i know they pick early and i know they screw everything up they do, but their drafts lately have been pretty good.

5..i'd have to look over the drafts, i don't get paid to draft good players. I also don't get the " Steelers draft so well " buzz, when we have not done that well in the last 5 or so years.

1. Still, when he got to start, he played well. It's not like he played poorly. I do not see how a player having a good year makes him a bad pick.

2. Says you. I've heard several analysts (Dilfer, Cosell) talk admirably about Pittsburgh's depth.

3. See above.

4. So, the fourth overall pick is better than Wallace. Duh. Come on man... you have to do better than that.

So, a team has some high picks pan out. Okay... and...??? How about the later picks? Plus, how is Gresham any better of a pick than DD or Hood?

5. You also don't get paid to evaluate them...

SteelersCanada
02-16-2013, 10:57 AM
We haven't drafted well in the last five years? How about finding two Pro Bowl WRs in the third and sixth round? Or, drafting a CB with the most pass defensed in the league in the third round? Here's my favorite, though - drafting another CB who is quite possibly the best on the team, in the third round. Then, picking up our future NT that consistently makes plays in the backfield and disrupts the offensive line every time he's on the field after the draft.

Counting out Heyward and Hood is a mistake. Saying we haven't drafted well recently is a mistake. Colbert may have missed on a couple of early picks and guys like Richard Sherman, but overall, the drafts haven't been bad. Actually, they've been pretty damn good.

steeltheone
02-16-2013, 02:46 PM
We haven't drafted well in the last five years? How about finding two Pro Bowl WRs in the third and sixth round? Or, drafting a CB with the most pass defensed in the league in the third round? Here's my favorite, though - drafting another CB who is quite possibly the best on the team, in the third round. Then, picking up our future NT that consistently makes plays in the backfield and disrupts the offensive line every time he's on the field after the draft.

Counting out Heyward and Hood is a mistake. Saying we haven't drafted well recently is a mistake. Colbert may have missed on a couple of early picks and guys like Richard Sherman, but overall, the drafts haven't been bad. Actually, they've been pretty damn good.

Wallace and Brown are not bad picks, but they are highly overrated as this season showed.

Hood is not a bad pick, Hey ward needs to play this year!

steeltheone
02-16-2013, 02:58 PM
1. Still, when he got to start, he played well. It's not like he played poorly. I do not see how a player having a good year makes him a bad pick.

2. Says you. I've heard several analysts (Dilfer, Cosell) talk admirably about Pittsburgh's depth.

3. See above.

4. So, the fourth overall pick is better than Wallace. Duh. Come on man... you have to do better than that.

So, a team has some high picks pan out. Okay... and...??? How about the later picks? Plus, how is Gresham any better of a pick than DD or Hood?

5. You also don't get paid to evaluate them... The Steelers starting lineup is as average as it has been in years. Looking at our defense position by position Lebeau deserves all the credit in the world. So i'm not sure we have great depth.

Wallace and Brown were advertised as superstars, Green is a superstar, Wallace is a low number 1 wideout and Brown an average to good number 2.

DD looked great in college , but got pushed around like a bitch the starts he made at the end of the year. I hope with a injury free camp and season he turns out as projected. So at this point he has showed zip.

Hood is a good player. Questionable number 1 pick, but a good player.

zcoop
02-16-2013, 04:50 PM
Wallace and Brown are not bad picks, but they are highly overrated as this season showed.

Hood is not a bad pick, Hey ward needs to play this year!

You're off as usual with respect to our WRs. Brown and Wallace were victims of a flawed system this season. They were also on a team that resembled a MASH unit. You and others say that Ben had a bad year because of a bad OLine and injuries, if that's the case then that surely had an affect on the receiving corps. Besides, these two guys can't reach their full potential in a dink and dunk system, they like to spread the field.

The Steelers have done fairly well with draft picks the past few years.

steeltheone
02-16-2013, 06:06 PM
You're off as usual with respect to our WRs. Brown and Wallace were victims of a flawed system this season. They were also on a team that resembled a MASH unit. You and others say that Ben had a bad year because of a bad OLine and injuries, if that's the case then that surely had an affect on the receiving corps. Besides, these two guys can't reach their full potential in a dink and dunk system, they like to spread the field.

The Steelers have done fairly well with draft picks the past few years.

Ben was having an MVP type year up until his injury on week 10.

Injuries to the line or lack of talent in the backfield resulted in BR7 tossing the ball more than normal.

Wallace is great speed, average route running and average hands. Brown seems to be a better route runner and better hands but gets taken out of games way to easily.

zcoop
02-16-2013, 06:29 PM
Ben was having an MVP type year up until his injury on week 10.

Injuries to the line or lack of talent in the backfield resulted in BR7 tossing the ball more than normal.

Wallace is great speed, average route running and average hands. Brown seems to be a better route runner and better hands but gets taken out of games way to easily.

Can't have it both ways playa, I guess Ben was tossing the ball to himself b4 the injury? It takes a TEAM of players to win and we have been doing that until this down year.

steeltheone
02-16-2013, 06:43 PM
Can't have it both ways playa, I guess Ben was tossing the ball to himself b4 the injury? It takes a TEAM of players to win and we have been doing that until this down year.

Ben like any other franchise QB will get any wideout yards. I'm not saying they are bad, just not elite.

teegre
02-16-2013, 06:53 PM
The Steelers starting lineup is as average as it has been in years. Looking at our defense position by position Lebeau deserves all the credit in the world. So i'm not sure we have great depth.

Wallace and Brown were advertised as superstars, Green is a superstar, Wallace is a low number 1 wideout and Brown an average to good number 2.

DD looked great in college , but got pushed around like a bitch the starts he made at the end of the year. I hope with a injury free camp and season he turns out as projected. So at this point he has showed zip.

Hood is a good player. Questionable number 1 pick, but a good player.

You're not sure... the operative word(s) being "you're." As you stated: "you're" not paid to know who to draft, but people like Cosell & Dilfer are. I'm going to side with them.

Again, you're comparing a #4 overall pick with a R3 pick and a R6 pick. Bang for their buck, Wallace and Brown are great picks. They've each made the Pro-Bowl... which is... uh... good.

At times, DD looked great (goal-line TD where he blew his man backwards, opening a hole for the RB), and at times he got pushed around (Geno Atkins pushes around quite a few people in this league). Agreed: let's see how DD does after an off-season of recovery... and I expect greatness.

Agreed: Heyward needs to start.

Agreed: Hood is a questionable pick (some like him; some don't). But, if one looks at that draft, many of the other options had question marks. I was obviously high on Laurinaitis, but with Timmons & Farrior, there wasn't a pressing need (as there was for a DE). Also, I was high on two O-linemen (Unger & Levitre... as were the Steelers: evidenced by them trading back, once these two were off the board)... but, I would NOT have taken them at 32. Lastly, everyone points to Delmas, Byrd, & McCoy... but, with Troy & Clark in their primes, a safety was not going to see the field, and with Spinny being drafted the year prior, a RB was also not going to be taken that high. SUMMATION: Hood was the highest ranked player who filled a major need. Thus, I really can't argue against that pick.

TheVet
02-16-2013, 07:31 PM
teegre, I usually agree with your posts. But I gotta admit, I look at the same recent drafts that you do, and I see them as being fairly mediocre. We seem to have difficulty finding young players who can step right in and contribute - at least compared to other teams. Granted, there have been many injuries (DD, Adams, Spence most recently), but there also seems to be quite a bit of disappointment (Gilbert, Hood, so many of our LBs), along with excessively long development time (so many examples to pick from).

And of courser, there's the supersize whiff of the Mendenhall, Sweed year ... even when Mendy departs (oh please, put this to an end), it will still take a year or so for the smell of that draft to dissipate from Heinz field ...

steeltheone
02-16-2013, 08:34 PM
I thought we took Spence too high. I hope he is a contributor.

kan_t
02-16-2013, 10:48 PM
It would show how much confidence the Steelers have in him in the coming draft.

TheVet
02-16-2013, 10:57 PM

I'm a bit worried about Spence also. Right after we drafted him, I watched his videos. I liked his movement; he seemed to be everywhere, he's got a real nose for the ball. But he has real trouble tackling - it seemed like he would try to wrap up a back, but he'd just wind up getting carried along for the ride for another 10 yards down the field. He's so light; I wonder how he'll be able to bring down NFL players.

Still, technique can be taught, and players can beef up. So I'll try to remain hopeful.

teegre
02-16-2013, 11:06 PM
teegre, I usually agree with your posts. But I gotta admit, I look at the same recent drafts that you do, and I see them as being fairly mediocre. We seem to have difficulty finding young players who can step right in and contribute - at least compared to other teams. Granted, there have been many injuries (DD, Adams, Spence most recently), but there also seems to be quite a bit of disappointment (Gilbert, Hood, so many of our LBs), along with excessively long development time (so many examples to pick from).

And of courser, there's the supersize whiff of the Mendenhall, Sweed year ... even when Mendy departs (oh please, put this to an end), it will still take a year or so for the smell of that draft to dissipate from Heinz field ...

As some of us were discussing in another thread, part of the reason that some teams play their rookies earlier, is due to need. The best example that I can give is Tim Dobbins of the Chargers. He started more games than Timmons... because Timmons was stuck behind Foote & Farrior. But, Timmons is the better LB. (Make sense?)

And, admittedly, if LeBeau has a flaw, it's underutilizing young players.

Currently, Heyward is stuck behind Keisel. Allen is stuck behind Ike (rightfully so). And, McClendon was behind Casey the Hutt.

The O-line will be good. Adams & Gilbert need time to develop, and DD needs a full off-season to regain his form. I am confident that those picks will make this unit into a strength.

Yes, we all agree: 2008 was a bad, bad draft.

In closing, while casual fans point to the Troy pick in 2003 & the BB pick in 2004, most experts have pointed to the 2002 draft as being the draft that set up the 2005 SuperBowl victory (Randel El, Hope, Foote, Keisel)... and I think that these past three drafts have been every bit as good. Ergo, I foresee a run during the next few years: multiple Lombardis.

TheVet
02-16-2013, 11:19 PM
As some of us were discussing in another thread, part of the reason that some teams play their rookies earlier, is due to need. The best example that I can give is Tim Dobbins of the Chargers. He started more games than Timmons... because Timmons was stuck behind Foote & Farrior. But, Timmons is the better LB. (Make sense?)

And, admittedly, if LeBeau has a flaw, it's underutilizing young players.

Currently, Heyward is stuck behind Keisel. Allen is stuck behind Ike (rightfully so). And, McClendon was behind Casey the Hutt.

The O-line will be good. Adams & Gilbert need time to develop, and DD needs a full off-season to regain his form. I am confident that those picks will make this unit into a strength.

Yes, we all agree: 2008 was a bad, bad draft.

In closing, while casual fans point to the Troy pick in 2003 & the BB pick in 2004, most experts have pointed to the 2002 draft as being the draft that set up the 2005 SuperBowl victory (Randel El, Hope, Foote, Keisel)... and I think that these past three drafts have been every bit as good. Ergo, I foresee a run during the next few years: multiple Lombardis.

Well I hope you're right, especially on the multiple Lombardies! :tt03:
OK, leaving aside the many cases of underperformance, let's talk about those players who had to wait behind others who were ahead of them. OK, sure - but during the same time, we had huge positions of crying need that we didn't even attempt to fill - our OL for example, and CB for quite a few years. So if huge needs were left unaddressed while we brought in folks to wait behind positions of strength, were those really great drafts?

I'm glad that we've finally focused on the OL (with the jury still out, but I'm hopeful - although Gilbert's 2nd year regression really has me worried). But let's not forget that the OL has been in shambles for six, maybe even seven years now - it actually began when Faneca was still here (but in shutdown mode due to his contract dispute). All those years with our franchise QB running for his life and laying on his back ... not good! Why weren't we addressing critical needs in the draft?

tony hipchest
02-16-2013, 11:47 PM
OK, leaving aside the many cases of underperformance, let's talk about those players who had to wait behind others who were ahead of them. OK, sure - but during the same time, we had huge positions of crying need that we didn't even attempt to fill - our OL for example, and CB for quite a few years. So if huge needs were left unaddressed while we brought in folks to wait behind positions of strength, were those really great drafts?

?in defense of the FO, they never really expected 2nd round picks ricardo colclough and bryant mcfadden to be complete busts, and we did lose william gay in free agency. its not like they purposefully neglected the position. :hunch:

teegre
02-17-2013, 12:00 AM

I'm glad that we've finally focused on the OL (with the jury still out, but I'm hopeful - although Gilbert's 2nd year regression really has me worried). But let's not forget that the OL has been in shambles for six, maybe even seven years now - it actually began when Faneca was still here (but in shutdown mode due to his contract dispute). All those years with our franchise QB running for his life and laying on his back ... not good! Why weren't we addressing critical needs in the draft?

I agree: the O-line was ignored for far too long... which is why I love the past few drafts.

Pouncey in R1 in 2010
Gilbert in R2 in 2011
DD & Adams in R1 & R2 in 2012

Now... why was the O-line ignored until 2010? They seemed to like The Colon... and when not playing like an ass, Kemo was a great blocker. Lastly, Starks has been solid for a long while. Now, the other spots on the O-line have been horrid... which makes me wonder how Urbik was let go.

Regardless, I'm happy now.

Steeldude
02-17-2013, 04:17 AM
- it seemed like he would try to wrap up a back, but he'd just wind up getting carried along for the ride for another 10 yards down the field.

Sounds like Foote. At least Spence can cover. Spence is only inferior to Foote in terms of experience.

SteelersCanada
02-17-2013, 10:31 AM
Sounds like Foote. At least Spence can cover. Spence is only inferior to Foote in terms of experience.

Or we could not settle for a Linebacker that gets his ass handed to him and draft a guy that can stuff the run and also has decent coverage abilities. I don't understand why our options here are either a guy that hasn't proven himself in any capacity and, on film, shows he can't handle bigger backs and shed blocks at the line. On the other side, we have a guy that is much too old to be effective.

How about neither?

kan_t
02-17-2013, 10:41 AM
Or we could not settle for a Linebacker that gets his ass handed to him and draft a guy that can stuff the run and also has decent coverage abilities. I don't understand why our options here are either a guy that hasn't proven himself in any capacity and, on film, shows he can't handle bigger backs and shed blocks at the line. On the other side, we have a guy that is much too old to be effective.

How about neither?
I won't give up Spence yet. But I will draft someone like Nico Johnson for insurance.

steeltheone
02-17-2013, 12:55 PM

Name 1 thing Spence has accomplished in the NFL ? Your statement is a bit premature.

VaDave
02-17-2013, 02:14 PM
I'm a bit worried about Spence also. Right after we drafted him, I watched his videos. I liked his movement; he seemed to be everywhere, he's got a real nose for the ball. But he has real trouble tackling - it seemed like he would try to wrap up a back, but he'd just wind up getting carried along for the ride for another 10 yards down the field. He's so light; I wonder how he'll be able to bring down NFL players.

Still, technique can be taught, and players can beef up. So I'll try to remain hopeful.

RE: Weight

Spence is heavier than Farrior.......... Being honest, I really didn't see enough of him to see if he had glaring deficiencies tackling. I'll defer to your observation.

TheVet
02-17-2013, 03:44 PM
in defense of the FO, they never really expected 2nd round picks ricardo colclough and bryant mcfadden to be complete busts, and we did lose william gay in free agency. its not like they purposefully neglected the position. :hunch:

Yes, that's true. I wonder whether it's been a run of bad luck picks, or bad skill at picking. Whatever it is, it's been a bad run.l.

I agree: the O-line was ignored for far too long... which is why I love the past few drafts.

Pouncey in R1 in 2010
Gilbert in R2 in 2011
DD & Adams in R1 & R2 in 2012

Now... why was the O-line ignored until 2010? They seemed to like The Colon... and when not playing like an ass, Kemo was a great blocker. Lastly, Starks has been solid for a long while. Now, the other spots on the O-line have been horrid... which makes me wonder how Urbik was let go.

Regardless, I'm happy now.

Yes, I'm very pleased with the potential of Adams/DD, and Pouncey of course. Beechum coud be a find. Looking forward to seeing those guys healthy and kicking butt! But I'm concerned that Gilbert might be a swing and a miss given his big step backward last year.

As for the others - nice to see that Starks finally started takiing things seriously the past two years, once he was almost out of the NFL. Too little, too late - it would have been nice to see that effort during his seven slothful years here. As for Colon - well, now we know that his natural position isn't OT or OG; since we have a center, he can go draw penalties somewhere else when healthy. As for Chemo, I never say anything there. I like Legursky's effort and flexibility. Foster is another low effort player, but he's OK for depth - but only if very cheap.

RE: Weight

Spence is heavier than Farrior.......... Being honest, I really didn't see enough of him to see if he had glaring deficiencies tackling. I'll defer to your observation.

I sure hope that Spence will be a big contributor, cause we need young LBs to step up. But that was a big injury ...

Steel95
02-17-2013, 04:54 PM
Everybody needs to relax, the Organization has dealt with change in the past, will have to deal with change in the future as well. Have faith in the F/O, they've been doing this for years. And lets remember, this is the same organization that made it to three SuperBowls recently, winning two of them. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the following players had to take a pay cut to play in 2013:

1. Troy P.
2. James Harrison

I think the following players will either have to take a pay cut or restructure their contracts:

1. James Harrison
2. Troy P.
3. Ike Taylor

Don't count on the Steelers taking the kid out of West Virginia, they will attempt to go with a larger WR in the mold of Boldin and Fitzgerald. The Steelers will be fine.

VaDave
02-17-2013, 09:14 PM
Everybody needs to relax, the Organization has dealt with change in the past, will have to deal with change in the future as well. Have faith in the F/O, they've been doing this for years. And lets remember, this is the same organization that made it to three SuperBowls recently, winning two of them. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the following players had to take a pay cut to play in 2013:

1. Troy P.
2. James Harrison

I think the following players will either have to take a pay cut or restructure their contracts:

1. James Harrison
2. Troy P.
3. Ike Taylor

Don't count on the Steelers taking the kid out of West Virginia, they will attempt to go with a larger WR in the mold of Boldin and Fitzgerald. The Steelers will be fine.

Amen on the relax part. I've never seen so much of Steeler Nation spaz out of a .500 season before. I have faith, but I'm not expecting it all to be resolved in one year.