PDA

View Full Version : Use Plaxico Burress more or cut him?

The_Joker
02-07-2013, 06:37 PM
I say we undervalued him. When we did use him he was lights out. I say stick him at 3rd/4th string alongside Sanders and Cotch.

jacobo
02-07-2013, 06:46 PM
Let him compete in camp. If he comes back in great shape and gives it his all while our young money continue their complacency let him and Cotchery start. Desire > talent any day.

harrison'samonster
02-07-2013, 06:49 PM
I hope he gets a shot for a spot on the team.

The_Joker
02-07-2013, 06:52 PM
Yup yup. I really think Plax is better than Cotch and Sanders. Hell, give him the 2nd slot if he proves it.

steeltheone
02-07-2013, 06:53 PM
I say we undervalued him. When we did use him he was lights out. I say stick him at 3rd/4th string alongside Sanders and Cotch.

3 receptions for 42 yards in 3 games, lights out? Even Sanders might be able to beat that!

Steelers5895
02-07-2013, 06:59 PM
he is a free agent. if he didnt draw attention last year he wont get any this year. he will be a later in free agency signing as he of course will test the market.

The_Joker
02-07-2013, 06:59 PM
3 receptions for 42 yards in 3 games, lights out? Even Sanders might be able to beat that!

14 yards per catch. And he was very good with the Jets. I say give the man his shot.

Lady Steel
02-07-2013, 07:30 PM
Ben likes him so give him a shot.

wwhickok
02-07-2013, 07:55 PM
I dont care if Ben likes him. Burress wasnt much help last season BUT he didnt have a lot of time to do so. I definitely think he should get a shot at making the roster because I do think he can have an impact.

Lady Steel
02-07-2013, 07:57 PM
I dont care if Ben likes him. Burress wasnt much help last season BUT he didnt have a lot of time to do so. I definitely think he should get a shot at making the roster because I do think he can have an impact.

Why don't you care if Ben likes him? Plax is a big target for Ben. That means a lot, in my opinion.

kent
02-07-2013, 08:34 PM
Why don't you care if Ben likes him? Plax is a big target for Ben. That means a lot, in my opinion.

I agree. As bad as this is to say, they need to do whatever Ben needs for him to be happy if we want to win.

Fire Arians
02-07-2013, 09:03 PM
give him a chance to compete and learn the offense, let the cards fall where they may

lloydwoodson
02-07-2013, 09:26 PM
Steelers FO should commission a time machine, go back to 2005 and then re-sign Plax so Roethlisberger had a legitimate red zone threat for his entire career. This is the only reasonable option.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
02-07-2013, 09:30 PM
Obviously he didn't have an amazing year, but that's because he didn't even get a uniform in many games. When he was called upon, he stepped up BIG TIME.

Fire Arians
02-07-2013, 09:42 PM
Steelers FO should commission a time machine, go back to 2005 and then re-sign Plax so Roethlisberger had a legitimate red zone threat for his entire career. This is the only reasonable option.

with the time machine, id rather kidnap mean joe greene, jack lambert, franco harris, and a buncha other guys and sign em all as undrafted free agents :thumbsup:

kan_t
02-08-2013, 01:59 AM
give him a chance to compete and learn the offense, let the cards fall where they may
I really think that he is best suit in Haley's system. And he also provide Ben a big target to throw at. I hope the Steelers keep him for one more year.

Bayz101
02-08-2013, 04:07 AM
When Plax was called upon, he stepped it up. Fact.

wwhickok
02-08-2013, 04:16 AM

I'm sorry what I meant, what I was actually trying to say is, it's fine if Ben likes him, but the 'BIG' picture should be that they brought him here for a.reason and were never able to seee if he could fulfill that purpose. So Ben aside, that, to me, is reason enough to keep him.

Obviously if you've got guys Ben is comfortable with it is a major plus.

Steelerindc
02-08-2013, 06:24 AM

He wasn't much help b/c Mike and Todd didn't see a reason for him to suit up most games. The games he got on the field he actually contributed. If you wanna say he wasn't much help think about him just coming off the couch and the fact the coaching staff sat for the majority of time he was there.

Is he a Superstar Stud.....no. but look at this core of receivers, all of them are under 6 feet. We need height and as we see some veteran experience and he comes cheap.

steelfury02
02-08-2013, 06:31 AM
Cotchery needs to be on the field more, especially with Heath's status up in the air - he isn't fast, but he will catch in traffic - I wouldn't mind seeing Cotchery as 3rd receiver. Plax can take Cotch's spot in this scenario. I'm really anxious to see who our other receiver will be.

This is the first time in a while where I think of the roster and am not feeling too hot. Heath's health only adds salt to the wound.

steelfury02
02-08-2013, 06:32 AM

this^

lloydwoodson
02-08-2013, 12:58 PM
I would like to see Plaxico cut. Why not make room for some more young players? Plaxico is at the end of his career and caught 3 passes last season (Burress came in just in time for the losses to Dallas and Cincinatti). Buress left Pittsburgh because he felt underutilized. Burress will be underutilized if he stays in Pittsburgh. Good riddance.

harrison'samonster
02-08-2013, 01:02 PM
I would like to see Plaxico cut. Why not make room for some more young players? Plaxico is at the end of his career and caught 3 passes last season (Burress came in just in time for the losses to Dallas and Cincinatti). Buress left Pittsburgh because he felt underutilized. Burress will be underutilized if he stays in Pittsburgh. Good riddance.

why not give him a chance to compete for a spot? If we lose Wallace, and Sanders hasn't proven he can stay healthy, we might want Burress on the team.

FrancoLambert
02-08-2013, 01:34 PM

Let him compete with the young players and as FA said "let the cards fall where they may."

He is at the end of his career with limited appeal so I don't think him just filling a specific role would turn him into a malcontent.
May be wishful thinking but seeing the great shape he was in I'd like to see him get the chance again.
Bring him into camp and let him compete.
If it works great, if not no harm done.

scottcurtis
02-08-2013, 02:26 PM
Ben likes him so give him a shot.

Who cares what ben likes ? Ben is an employee, he needs to start doing what he's told. Sooner or later management will get rid of him !

harrison'samonster
02-08-2013, 02:28 PM
Who cares what ben likes ? Ben is an employee, he needs to start doing what he's told. Sooner or later management will get rid of him !

He might be an employee, but atheletes run the show in the NFL. Don't tell Peterson or Mendenhall that though.

Riddle_Of_Steel
02-08-2013, 02:33 PM
I say give Buress a shot. He has the height we have been missing in the redzone.

Nice job citing his stats-- 3 catches for 42 yards and 0 DROPS.. He also had a endzone TD as well. Considering he had the ball thrown to him 4 times, 3 catches for 42 yards is not bad.

We could use the veteran experience, not to mention a guy over 6'0" on our WR corps. As long as he can keep his attitude in check, we should be fine. Plax has to realize that he is on the backside of his career, and that we would be bringing him in to be a role-player (not D&D).

StainlessStill
02-08-2013, 02:50 PM

You don't pay one man 100+ million dollars to a long-term deal to be told what to do. You tell him to go win the game. It's been widely known that Troy has every freedom the other 10 don't have in LeBeau's defense because of his abilities far above those around him.

Stability is one thing, but Ben's input MUST be heard for us to succeed.

It's time to give the keys to Ben. A franchise QB doesn't come by often.

jacobo
02-08-2013, 02:54 PM

Are you really that thick or just so blinded by your hatred of Ben that nothing will reach you? Chemistry between a quarterback and his wideouts is vital to a successful passing game. If two players get along better they're likely to work out more often than what is required and learn each others tendencies better. When that happens it translates to games and allows a passing game to flourish.

stb_steeler
02-08-2013, 02:57 PM
Wasn't he only signed for a one year deal?

VaDave
02-08-2013, 06:20 PM
I'm all for giving him a tryout. The problem is, if he makes the team, where fit in the roster? He is no longer a deep threat, his hands are average for a possesion receiver, and besides we already have two of those with Sanders and Cotchery, he doesn't block, he doesn't play special teams, and he is not a red zone threat. Like like Wallace in that he doesn't highpoint the ball well.

I'm not saying no, but he'd really have to pull a rabbit out of his hat to stick around.

NSMaster56
02-08-2013, 07:35 PM
Use.

Cajun steeler
02-08-2013, 08:01 PM
I think with a full camp and he come in shape then it would work. The jets didn't use him correctly either . I does matter if Ben like him as a target.

Lady Steel
02-08-2013, 09:58 PM

I do, because if Ben's happy, everyone's happy, except maybe you. :noidea:

TheVet
02-09-2013, 01:29 AM
I say we give Plax a chance. We have many, many needs to fill, and he's OK as a stop-gap at WR. Also, we have cap issues, and the price will be right. This looks like a small risk for a potentially solid return.

lloydwoodson
02-10-2013, 04:17 PM
I do, because if Ben's happy, everyone's happy, except maybe you. :noidea:

I also was not happy with Arians and 4 years of offensive offense... but Ben was.

VaDave
02-11-2013, 10:03 AM
I also was not happy with Arians and 4 years of offensive offense... but Ben was.

And played as well as one could. My problem with Arians wasn't so much whith his passing game, but with the high risk/reward ratio assects. It was streaky and inconsistent, especially when crunch time came and it was time to take control of the game. The other problem was it was obvious that there was not much time devoted to fine tuning the running game, It often looked like a 10 car pileup on the freeway.

steelfury02
02-11-2013, 10:15 AM
que Marty ball comment

Lady Steel
02-12-2013, 12:19 AM

I was happy with the Lombardi Trophy.

lloydwoodson
02-12-2013, 03:57 AM
I was happy with the Lombardi Trophy.

You mean the trophy Arians won with Whisenhunt's players?

What was your favourite playcall by Arians in Superbowl 43? The quarterback sneak out of shotgun formation on 3rd and goal from the 4? That was a real beauty. Did you like his playcalling in the 4th quarter when the Steelers had two 3 and outs and a safety? I still can't figure out how the Cards got back in that game it is the strangest thing.

I kind of like Todd Haley's playcalling that game... especially the slant and go to Fitz he knew would work because Breaston caught a big gain on the same play earlier, and the Steelers were vacating the middle of the field.

I thought Haley called a better game. I kind of liked Warner's 377 yard 3 TD performance against one of the best defenses ever.

Difference in the game... James Harrison made the greatest single play in Superbowl history. Nice job on the 102 yard int return for a TD, Bruce.

VaDave
02-12-2013, 06:34 AM
RE: Fitz's TD

What I want to know is why Taylor was in press coverage, on a long yardage down, at that point in the game, with no over the top help.

Back to the topic at hand, The first three drives the Steeler's made got them down the field in good fashion, but only netted one TD. That was the about end of the offensive output until the last drive end of the game.

From what I understand, these many years later, was that Both (C) Hartwig, and (RG) Stapleton's knees were trashed and were given fits by the Cardinal DL. As we all know, BA LOVED to run right, and when your RG has 40 year old knees on a 20 year old's body, it ain't going to be good.

As for the Safety, Hartwig saw the stunt coming, but just couldn't get all the way into position to use proper leverage. For all intensive purposes, Hartwig got run over more than he held the guy. It was a good play call, as was the slant on first down that was defended.

The second down running play, a head scratcher call, the counter, our bread and butter play for umpteen years is not one you typically run in your deep end. Unfotunately, Kemo ran outside the tackle box, but Parker took it inside behind Stapleton who had no leverage on his man. It was a freakin' miracle Parker made it out of the endzone.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
02-12-2013, 02:13 PM
You mean the trophy Arians won with Whisenhunt's players?

Under this rationale, Whisenhunt won the Lombardi with Mularkey's players.

What was your favourite playcall by Arians in Superbowl 43? The quarterback sneak out of shotgun formation on 3rd and goal from the 4? That was a real beauty. Did you like his playcalling in the 4th quarter when the Steelers had two 3 and outs and a safety? I still can't figure out how the Cards got back in that game it is the strangest thing.

I would think that most people's favorite playcall would be the game winning TD pass. Also, the sneak was originally a TD and was very questionably overturned. And the playcall on the safety was excellent, if Hartwig hadn't gotten run over, the game would have been put on ice.

Difference in the game... James Harrison made the greatest single play in Superbowl history. Nice job on the 102 yard int return for a TD, Bruce.

If Ben hadn't led them down the field to score a TD and win the game, that wouldn't have mattered. And I imagine you would probably point out over and over that it was Arians and Ben's faults that the Steelers lost. But they don't get credit for engineering an unbelievable 90+ yard drive to win? Come on.

MasterOfPuppets
02-12-2013, 03:16 PM
FACT....We don't know how often he was called upon. i mean , was he only called upon 3 times? was he only on the field for the 3 plays he caught the ball ? :noidea:

lloydwoodson
02-16-2013, 12:49 AM
Under this rationale, Whisenhunt won the Lombardi with Mularkey's players.

That was a joke and a shot at the "Tomlin won with Cowher's team" haters.

I would think that most people's favorite playcall would be the game winning TD pass. Also, the sneak was originally a TD and was very questionably overturned. And the playcall on the safety was excellent, if Hartwig hadn't gotten run over, the game would have been put on ice.

Check out the 25:00 mark- worst playcall in a Superbowl ever. You are thinking of a different drive. I am talking about the Steelers drive where they had 2 1st and goals due to roughing the kicker and still couldn't score against the 27 ppg allowed Cardinals D. Umm Hartwig's holding was a safety because RUTM, RUTM, 3rd and 10 Ben help!!! doesn't work.

RHC_oOMOcCQ

If Ben hadn't led them down the field to score a TD and win the game, that wouldn't have mattered. And I imagine you would probably point out over and over that it was Arians and Ben's faults that the Steelers lost. But they don't get credit for engineering an unbelievable 90+ yard drive to win? Come on.

Everyone knew the Steelers would be calling pass plays on the final drive. There were no surprises. Ben and Santonio executed. Period. Ben played maybe the best game of his career. He was awesome in Superbowl 43. Arians not so much.

Harrison should have received MVP honors- no credit for 100+ touchdown return. Come on. Steelers don't win that game without that play and Arians did not have a God damn thing to do with it.

Arians did have a hand in two 3 and outs in the 4th though, and the failed red zone series where they had 6 chances to score from the 5 yard line.