PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Draft mistakes 2007-2010

12+88=6
02-08-2013, 12:03 AM
i was talking with a guy at work about players that we missed on, here are the worst mistakes i saw, not counting 2011 & 2012 yet, kinda early on those classes except for (ta'amu and rainey) and not counting 5th-7th rnd picks, they are just shots in the dark anyway it seams.

3rd pick 77 matt spaeth-----pick 78 james jones----pick 83 charles Johnson DE
4th pick 112 sepulveda-----pick 126 deshon golston
4th pick 132 ryan mcbean—pick anybody else!!

2nd pick 53 sweed---pick 55 ray rice
3rd pick 88 bruce davis----pick 91 te finley----pick 92 de cliff avril
4th pick 130 tony hills----pick 140 5th rnd Brandon carr

3rd pick 79 kraig urbik let go now starter in buffalo, why not back up here?

2nd pick 52 worilds-----pick 91 3rd rnd novarro bowman----pick 95 jimmy graham---pick 113 aaron hernandez
3rd pick 82 emmanuel sanders---- pick 91 novarro bowman----pick 95 jimmy graham---pick 113 aaron Hernandez
4th pick 116 thaddeus Gibson----pick 120 geno atkins

Fire Arians
02-08-2013, 02:35 AM
cause every year we're supposed to have a 1974 draft, cool story bro

Bayz101
02-08-2013, 04:05 AM
I don't consider Emmanuel Sanders and Jason Worilds "misses".

wwhickok
02-08-2013, 04:30 AM

The jury is still out on Worilds.

I would have LOVED to have Graham or Bowman... honestly we have had a lot of misses, but so have a lot of other teams. We do well in the 1st round, as long as Hood and Heyward pan out and continue to improve, overall, I am happy with our team.

I admit and I made a thread a while bac about this that got some great opinions, sometimes Colbert really pisses me off. Like the time he picked Lawrence Timmons and not Paul Pozluszny....what was he thinking...or rather....what was I thinking?:rofl:

I do, at times question his judgement but there is a reason the Steelers didnt hire me to do his job. Actually there are two reasons. The lesser of the two is because I didnt apply for it lol.

He knows they have to do a better job deeper in the draft. I have a really good feeling about this yer. Idk why I just do, ever since the regular season ended Ive thought this year, not making the playoffs, not having to play with a depleted roster any longer, being at pick 17, was a blessing in disguise.

cbrunn
02-08-2013, 06:39 AM
What they need to do is stop wasting 2-4 round picks on OLB ... Every year seems like they're wasting 2 picks a draft on OLB ...

And actually give players a chance ... There is no reason Urbick still isn't on the roster...

Also somebody like Limas Sweed you can't blame him for that, he wasn't supposed to be there and I believe everyone thought he was going to be good

maddog78
02-08-2013, 06:44 AM
2nd pick 53 sweed---pick 55 ray rice

You can play this game with any team. People were rightfully happy with the Mendenhall pick in round 1, as they should have been. He was a great college back, just didn't produce in the pros like we hoped.

Anyway, they weren't going to take Ray after Rashard in the first, so you may want to call out Mendenhall as the miss in this situation.

Running backs are a crap shoot in the first round. For every Adrian Peterson, there are your Kijana Carters and Rashaan Salaams.

maddog78
02-08-2013, 06:58 AM
Here are the last ten years of first round running backs.

Willis McGahee, Larry Johnson, Steven Jackson, Chris Perry, Kevin Jones, Ronnie Brown, Ced Benson, Cadillac Williams, Reggie Bush, Laurence Maroney, Deangelo Williams, Joseph Addai, Adrian Peterson, Marshawn Lynch, Darren McFadden, Jonathan Stewart, Felix Jones, Rashard Mendenhall, Chris Johnson, Knowshon Moreno, Donald Brown, Beanie Wells, CJ Spiller, Ryan Mathews, Jahvid Best, Mark Ingram, Trent Richardson, Doug Martin, David Wilson

I'm guessing there's a lot of draft regret going around.

Blacksburg Zach
02-08-2013, 07:01 AM
It's easy to play captain hindsight years after these drafts are already over, but many of those picks were, at the time, considered good picks.

Steelers5895
02-08-2013, 10:20 AM
I wouldnt be as concerned with those misses as every team has them. What we dont have is round 5-7 gems. Lots of teams have those. we dont.

SteelersCanada
02-08-2013, 10:29 AM
Hindsight is 20/20. 31 other teams missed on those guys, too. Also, Emmanuel Sanders is a pretty nice consolation prize.

wwhickok
02-08-2013, 10:47 AM
As far as Rice goes, who can say that if he would have gone here that he wouldn't have been injured or xomething and had his while career take a different turn?

Some guys are good because of WHERE they end up.

teegre
02-08-2013, 11:51 AM
I posted this (or various versions of this) in a few other threads about the draft. I have cut & pasted...

Horrid. Everyone agrees on that. BUT, at the time, EVERYONE loved it... espeically Limas Sweed. In hindsight, it was an utter failure, but who would have known that both Spinny & Sweed would ahve mental issues... and, Tony Hilsl was a R1 prospect that dropped due to injury, and the Steelers take a calculated risk on him. Lastly, Bruce Davis was a sack machine... who simply never panned out. It happens.

2009: Hood, Wallace, Lewis, and DJ Johnson. Hood had been good, and Wallace was a home run. Lewis coudl eb a home run, and Johnson played well for a R7 pick. Getting four players who contribute is a good draft. Oh, and Urbik was cut by his position coach... and ended up starting on another roster (ie not Colbert's fault).

2010: Pouncey was a grand slam. AB was a home run... found in R6. Sanders could be a good pick. Worilds is alright, as has been Dwyer. Sylvester initially showed promise... but, he was a R5 pick. That is six who have contributed: a great draft.

2011: Heyward might be good, but he has not played enough to pass judgement on. Gilbert has played well. Cortez Allen is a home run. Carter is a question mark (much like Worilds). Adn, Baron Batch is a good special teamer. That is five who have contributed.

2012: Rainey allegedly hit a woman, and Ta'amu drove drunk. Gone and likely gone. DD was injured, but I love that pick. Spence was also injured, and also a pick that I love. Adams showed promis, and Paulson the coaches like. Beachum was a steal for a R7 pick (not a Tom Brady or an AB type of steal, but a steal nonetheless). That is five who contributed... and two who might wear orange jump suits.

SUMMATION:
These past three drafts have been pretty darn good. The 2002 draft (Randel El, Foote, Keisel, Hope) laid the groundwork for the 2005 (and the 2008) SuperBowls. These past three drafts are just as good (if not better).

JeromeBetties63
02-08-2013, 12:03 PM
This only matters if you can show us that other NFL teams don't have similar or worse results. The Steelers are pretty darn good in the draft.

Fire Arians
02-08-2013, 12:42 PM
I posted this (or various versions of this) in a few other threads about the draft. I have cut & pasted...

Horrid. Everyone agrees on that. BUT, at the time, EVERYONE loved it... espeically Limas Sweed. In hindsight, it was an utter failure, but who would have known that both Spinny & Sweed would ahve mental issues... and, Tony Hilsl was a R1 prospect that dropped due to injury, and the Steelers take a calculated risk on him. Lastly, Bruce Davis was a sack machine... who simply never panned out. It happens.

2009: Hood, Wallace, Lewis, and DJ Johnson. Hood had been good, and Wallace was a home run. Lewis coudl eb a home run, and Johnson played well for a R7 pick. Getting four players who contribute is a good draft. Oh, and Urbik was cut by his position coach... and ended up starting on another roster (ie not Colbert's fault).

2010: Pouncey was a grand slam. AB was a home run... found in R6. Sanders could be a good pick. Worilds is alright, as has been Dwyer. Sylvester initially showed promise... but, he was a R5 pick. That is six who have contributed: a great draft.

2011: Heyward might be good, but he has not played enough to pass judgement on. Gilbert has played well. Cortez Allen is a home run. Carter is a question mark (much like Worilds). Adn, Baron Batch is a good special teamer. That is five who have contributed.

2012: Rainey allegedly hit a woman, and Ta'amu drove drunk. Gone and likely gone. DD was injured, but I love that pick. Spence was also injured, and also a pick that I love. Adams showed promis, and Paulson the coaches like. Beachum was a steal for a R7 pick (not a Tom Brady or an AB type of steal, but a steal nonetheless). That is five who contributed... and two who might wear orange jump suits.

SUMMATION:
These past three drafts have been pretty darn good. The 2002 draft (Randel El, Foote, Keisel, Hope) laid the groundwork for the 2005 (and the 2008) SuperBowls. These past three drafts are just as good (if not better).

good post, couldnt have been said any better

Steelers5895
02-08-2013, 01:20 PM
a lot of could be's though. the issue is Steelers dont get these gusy enough time on the field fo rus to know if they are going to be keepers. because of that we over pay for our veterans and wind up in cap hell.

so THEY dont value their drafts how should we?

teegre
02-08-2013, 03:25 PM
a lot of could be's though. the issue is Steelers dont get these gusy enough time on the field fo rus to know if they are going to be keepers. because of that we over pay for our veterans and wind up in cap hell.

I agree that I would like to see the younger players start more quickly. BUT, to say that just because a player sits for a season (or two) makes them a bad pick is illogical.

Aaron Rodgers sat for four seasons.

He was not a bad draft pick.

JackH
02-08-2013, 06:31 PM
You can add up all the draft mistakes the Steelers ever made and they still wouldn't amount to what that bad decision in the 1983 draft cost, as in several Lombardi Trophies. You know, when the Steelers took Gabe Rivera with their first pick instead of Dan Marino.

tony hipchest
02-08-2013, 08:03 PM

OH the melodrama! :dramaqueen:

steelerfans really have no clue what "salary cap hell" actually is.

draft good players + win championships = have to pay good players market value.

thats what steelerfans call "salary cap hell". things were so much better when rod woodson, kevin greene, carnell lake, greg lloyd and neil odonnel were leading us to multiple championships. :rolleyes:

tony hipchest
02-08-2013, 08:06 PM
You can add up all the draft mistakes the Steelers ever made and they still wouldn't amount to what that bad decision in the 1983 draft cost, as in several Lombardi Trophies. You know, when the Steelers took Gabe Rivera with their first pick instead of Dan Marino.we probably shoulda kept johnny unitas as well.

unitas>>>bradshaw>>>marino>>>roethlisburger makes for a pretty good 50+ year run.

DanRooney
02-09-2013, 12:54 AM

I do. For 3 years we've heard all the hype surrounding Sanders and I haven't seen anything.

He also forgot to mention Frank Summers. The worst pick I've ever witnessed by this FO. They literally drafted this:

http://c9900913.r13.cf2.rackcdn.com/03-15-29_frank-summers_original.jpg

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-09-2013, 09:02 AM
Yeah, hindsight is always more accurate, but I have been vocal here of the 2008 draft for a while, as I was hoping for some O line help and screaming for Carl Nicks in the 4th round. Most of the talking heads had Cliff Avril as a better pass rusher than Bruce Davis and even Early Doucet in the 2nd was reasonable.

I also didnt like the Worilds pick. We missed on some ILB's like Lee, Angerer, Bowman in favor of taking other guys, but now look where we are.

Cant be perfect all the time, but have been pushed back by some picks that some of the draftniks here were questionable of and turned out to be right.

pczach
02-09-2013, 01:01 PM
This is the way things go in the draft. Overall, the Steelers are historically fantastic at the draft. If they come out of this draft or free agency with a productive RB, a safety, a good ILB, a big WR with good ball skills, and additional depth at other positions, they will hit a home run and set this team up for a run at winning more Super Bowls.

Let's not forget that some of these players labeled as "misses" may be starting and impressing next year. We haven't seen enough of some of these players to know, and they have been behind some of the best players in the league. Don't throw dirt on these guys just yet. You might be surprised.

sw04ca
02-09-2013, 09:53 PM
Sanders is pretty nice though. Sure, Bowman would be awesome, but I'm not 100% convinced that Graham and Hernandez are a big improvement on Heath. Sure, they've put up big numbers, but part of that is scheme. Both New England and New Orleans use short and intermediate passes to the tight ends where the Steelers run the ball. And Brown's about to see some more time on the field, what with Wallace about to step out.