PDA

View Full Version : Scottie Montgomery to be OC for Duke University

SteelersCanada
02-08-2013, 10:08 AM
Steelers' WR coach Montgomery leaves for job at Duke

By Ed Bouchette

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin will have yet another opening on his coaching staff to fill because assistant Scottie Montgomery is taking a job with Duke University.

Montgomery coached the Steelers' wide receivers the past three seasons. He will become the offensive coordinator at Duke, a source told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Montgomery coached the wide receivers at Duke, his alma mater, for four seasons before joining the Steelers staff in 2010.

He was among Duke's all-time leading receivers.

Tomlin has hired two coaches since the end of the season, Jack Bicknell Jr. as his offensive line coach and Danny Smith to coach the special teams. He still has not filled one other position.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-wr-coach-montgomery-leaves-for-job-at-duke-673940/#ixzz2KKuAUPAg

-- I really liked Scottie, too. Oh well, another opening for us.

VaDave
02-08-2013, 10:17 AM
I dunno, the value of the "Young Money Crew" sure took a major hit last year. Their drops ( no pun intended) in their level of play from 2011 was staggering. Beside our defensive sencondary, I've never seen a group of so many gifted athletes struggle to hold onto a ball, like they have blisters on their fingers ( not exactly a discounted possibility).

SteelersCanada
02-08-2013, 10:29 AM
I dunno, the value of the "Young Money Crew" sure took a major hit last year. Their drops ( no pun intended) in their level of play from 2011 was staggering. Beside our defensive sencondary, I've never seen a group of so many gifted athletes struggle to hold onto a ball, like they have blisters on their fingers ( not exactly a discounted possibility).

I mean, that could be attributed to a new offensive scheme and the growing pains that come with it. Granted, the amount of drops was inexcusable but I think the drops could just be a symptom of the growing pains that come with a new offensive scheme and ultimately, the confusion that comes with it.

I did like Scottie, though. It's probably not easy to turn a 6th round pick into a 1000 yard receiver - especially as a number 2. I was looking forward to seeing him progress Manny this year and see what he could turn him into.

wwhickok
02-08-2013, 10:40 AM
I'm happy with this. Hopefully we get an upgrade.

MACH1
02-08-2013, 10:43 AM
Maybe the next guy can teach them how to catch and ball security.

SteelersCanada
02-08-2013, 10:44 AM
Man, tough crowd for Scottie haha. I liked the guy! I hope he enjoys success at Duke.

VaDave
02-08-2013, 11:05 AM
I mean, that could be attributed to a new offensive scheme and the growing pains that come with it. Granted, the amount of drops was inexcusable but I think the drops could just be a symptom of the growing pains that come with a new offensive scheme and ultimately, the confusion that comes with it.

I did like Scottie, though. It's probably not easy to turn a 6th round pick into a 1000 yard receiver - especially as a number 2. I was looking forward to seeing him progress Manny this year and see what he could turn him into.

I hear what you are saying and will take that under advisement LOL!!

Seriously, no doubt there was some serious confusion going on out there, especially with AB. He doesn't come across as being light in the cranial department, but man... where was his brain??? AB is a solid talent no doubt. Paying him top dollar for at best a #2 receiver was a huge mistake by our front office, like the contracts for Woodley, and Colon were, and has us firmly entrenched in the grip of cap hell.

I like Manny Sanders too, but the guy is always hurt. Didn't he play the last 5 weeks of the season with a significant shoulder injury? 2011 it was a laundry list?? The last SuperBowl it was??

As for Wallace.pretty much he played like a guy expecting a big check and needed to be healthy to collect it. If you think I'm joking, go back and watch this past season on NFL Rewind. Then rewatch the 2011 season......

Back to Scottie, I liked what he did with these kids until they fully bought into the money aspects of the game. Last year was not good regardless of who what where why and when.

I don't recall anybody mentioning a WR coach being creditied with making the difference in a team winning or not.

SteelersCanada
02-08-2013, 12:03 PM
I wonder if Ward wants to return here.

harrison'samonster
02-08-2013, 12:28 PM

I was thinking the same thing!

stb_steeler
02-08-2013, 12:31 PM

He's to busy with the Ironman challenge, tho he did lose the cook off challenge last week :wink02:

SteelersCanada
02-08-2013, 12:41 PM
He's to busy with the Ironman challenge, tho he did lose the cook off challenge last week :wink02:

He's got some free time on his hands, then! Let him do his triathlon and then help Manny and AB catch some balls. Win/win.

truesteelerfan
02-08-2013, 01:16 PM
Bring back Hines - No one had more heart, guts or toughness! Other receivers will have more God given talent - Hines could hopefully teach them his desire - Amazing possibilities if he's interested in going that route.

sloppyjoe
02-08-2013, 01:49 PM
do you think the rooneys will allow tomlin to make this decision or will they do the hiring themselves?

SteelersCanada
02-08-2013, 01:56 PM
do you think the rooneys will allow tomlin to make this decision or will they do the hiring themselves?

Yay! I was hoping this thread would turn into a bullshit Tomlin conspiracy thread! What are we, 15 posts in?

Let's keep this on topic from here on out, though. If we don't decide to go the Hines Ward route, do you guys have any idea on who Tomlin and friends would be interested in? I'm drawing a blank here.

BKAnthem
02-08-2013, 04:21 PM
Yay! I was hoping this thread would turn into a bullshit Tomlin conspiracy thread! What are we, 15 posts in?

:rofl:

I would go after NE's WR coach, Chad O'Shea

jacobo
02-08-2013, 04:52 PM

He was asking a question, what's wrong with that?

harrison'samonster
02-08-2013, 04:54 PM
He was asking a question, what's wrong with that?

he wasn't asking a question, he was insinuating that Tomlin is incompetent.

jacobo
02-08-2013, 05:06 PM
he wasn't asking a question, he was insinuating that Tomlin is incompetent.

Ahh, didn't read the word "allow" like that. Sorry about that.

I'm down for bringing in Hines. Would love to see him on the sidelines again, he can get Sanders and Brown's heads on straight, and teach any incoming player to love to block