PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on using an early round pick on QB?

nick5574
02-09-2013, 11:32 AM
We all know we need to address the backup situation and Ben isn't going to play forever. Is there any chance they go QB early in the draft if someone like Barkley is still there?

desertsteel
02-09-2013, 11:36 AM
I don't see us going there in R1-2 but if the right guy slides, I can see us taking one in R3-4. After that, I see us getting a developmental guy in R6-7 if no one is there we like in the middle rounds.

SteelersCanada
02-09-2013, 11:37 AM
This QB draft is weak. Using a high pick on a guy that had no chance of being our future starter is a wasted pick.

Steelers5895
02-09-2013, 12:05 PM
id say not this year. we are 8-8 not 6-10 so we really could turn it around with the right personnel changes which have to come through the draft. to take a qb who wont play and more thann likely a defensive player in rd 1 and 2 who also wont play, we will get nothing from the draft this year.

i can see the steelers signing a cheap back up with starting experience

casteeler
02-09-2013, 12:28 PM
id say not this year. we are 8-8 not 6-10 so we really could turn it around with the right personnel changes which have to come through the draft. to take a qb who wont play and more thann likely a defensive player in rd 1 and 2 who also wont play, we will get nothing from the draft this year.

i can see the steelers signing a cheap back up with starting experience

8-8? 6-10 what's the differance? The team was awful offensively for more games than it looked good, I can see how a lot of fans are reluctant to Draft a QB early but the fact is the team needs a good backup and the Steelers situation is unlike other NFL teams. It's not a question of IF but more like when Ben will suffer an injury and miss 2,3 or maybe 4 games next season because it happens like clockwork every year. The Steelers need a backup with the skill and leadership of a Starter and luckily for us as Steeler fans the ownership sees the trend of Ben getting injured every year and Colbert stated they will not rule out drafting a QB in the first round.This team can and will survive a portion of a season with a backup LB or DB in the lineup but when your QB goes down its much harder to win

Steelers5895
02-09-2013, 12:40 PM
Vince young as our backup.

TheVet
02-09-2013, 12:56 PM
My opinion: an early round QB would be a wasted pick. We have too many big problems to solve right now.

casteeler
02-09-2013, 01:43 PM
My opinion: an early round QB would be a wasted pick. We have too many big problems to solve right now.

And QB isn't a big issue? I cannot see Batch returning and Leftwich needed to be bought a ticket out of town after the last appearance,you are correct though the Steelers have too many BIG problems to solve

harrison'samonster
02-09-2013, 01:58 PM
And QB isn't a big issue? I cannot see Batch returning and Leftwich needed to be bought a ticket out of town after the last appearance,you are correct though the Steelers have too many BIG problems to solve

he didn't say it's not an issue, just that he thinks the reward isn't big enough to draft a QB in the early rounds. The team will be looking at QB's in the draft and if they find somebody they like as a back-up I see them picking him, but I would be surprised if that QB is taken in early rounds.

As for Batch and Lefty, I think one of them will still be with the team. And Lefty didn't need to be run out of town, the guy was injured basically the whole game against our toughest rivalry and we still almost won the game.

DanRooney
02-09-2013, 02:31 PM
Too many needs. OLB, ILB, RB, CB/S...

This team needs a spectacular draft and trying to find a successor to Ben is a luxury. We can't afford to waste anything. We should have picked up a guy last year.

Quackjack
02-09-2013, 03:00 PM
Round 3 at the absolute earliest

Blacksburg Zach
02-09-2013, 03:22 PM
No, early round picks aren't used to draft backup quarterbacks, especially in such a weak quarterback class. I'm not opposed to the Steelers drafting a backup quarterback, but the Steelers should wait until later rounds to do so.

sluggermatt15
02-09-2013, 04:32 PM
No, early round picks aren't used to draft backup quarterbacks, especially in such a weak quarterback class. I'm not opposed to the Steelers drafting a backup quarterback, but the Steelers should wait until later rounds to do so.

Agree. Like others have said, using an early round pick on a QB in this draft is not a smart move, IMO, because the depth of the position is not great. However, this not necessarily negative. One of these guys could turn into a gem. They might be a good back up behind Ben.

The Steelers definitely need to a take a backup QB seriously. Ben does get hurt. His injury history reinforces that. So there is always a high probability the back up will get a chance to play at some point, and during any type of situation, in the regular season. I would like us to dump Batch and Leftwich. They are also too injury prone and are no longer 25 years old. Though I'd take these two over Brian Hoyer, by far.

casteeler
02-09-2013, 10:09 PM
Just let the Steelers run around like chickens with their heads chopped off week 4 when Ben tears a ligament in his knee and there is no backup plan other than Heath Miller or some out of work QB that they can load up with the duties of running the offense. I think ignoring that Ben will likely get injured and handing the reigns to a 6th round draft pick that had more INTs than TDs is rediculous.

kan_t
02-10-2013, 02:14 AM
Just let the Steelers run around like chickens with their heads chopped off week 4 when Ben tears a ligament in his knee and there is no backup plan other than Heath Miller or some out of work QB that they can load up with the duties of running the offense. I think ignoring that Ben will likely get injured and handing the reigns to a 6th round draft pick that had more INTs than TDs is rediculous.
Which QB do you want in this year draft?

steelerchad
02-10-2013, 08:11 AM
You don't go round 1 with a QB if you expect your incumbent franchise guy to be there 5 more years. 3 years, maybe. I could see us taking one at #4 or #5.
1st 3 rounds should be guys who can help the team this year.

steelfury02
02-10-2013, 08:50 AM
You don't go round 1 with a QB if you expect your incumbent franchise guy to be there 5 more years. 3 years, maybe. I could see us taking one at #4 or #5.
1st 3 rounds should be guys who can help the team this year.

you certainly aren't going to get any worse at the backup position - as much as I love Charlie and as much as I would at least keep him as #2 or #3 - he's earned either IMO - we do need another young guy that isn't going to get hurt from simply breathing like Leftwich (who I also like but is a wasted roster spot IMO). Get 1 this year in the last 2 rounds - even if it doesn't pan out in the long term plans - it will not make the depth at QB any worse. Who knows - might even be a diamond in the rough.

We def need impact players at 1-3, hoping a special teams player/guy of the future at 4, and wishful thinking for a guy with huge potential in the 5th - hell, all depends on position. As hard as I've been on Ben and his supporting cast - it wouldn't be totally out of the norm that they improve enough to get us into the playoffs - we saw a flash in the first half of what they could do - so, go defense in first 2, possible WR/RB in third? :noidea:

SteelerJay
02-10-2013, 09:01 AM
E J Manuel would be a nice pickup

It's apparent now that our QB situation is not what we would like...inconsistent play from the starter and a reluctance to play the backups, though the backups have done well when asked, discounting injuries

Leftwich took blame for a loss that he played with serious injuries...that said, he is injury prone

Batch played well with a proper week of preparation, and beat the SB champs

Fire Arians
02-10-2013, 06:06 PM
late round developmental pick would be good. like others said the qb class this year is weak and nobody i would spend a 3rd rounder on

wwhickok
02-10-2013, 07:33 PM
Unless its Zac Dysert, personally I dont really like any QBs in this draft and as much as I like Dysert, if there is a more valuable/needed player available, like Bacarri Rambo or something to tjat eefect Id rather not draft a QB.

OX1947
02-10-2013, 07:52 PM
Steelers HAVE to get a non-brital Back Up QB. A veteran one. Batch was great, but he might get hurt as well, another year in it. Have him as the 3rd string.

OX1947
02-10-2013, 07:53 PM
Unless its Zac Dysert, personally I dont really like any QBs in this draft and as much as I like Dysert, if there is a more valuable/needed player available, like Bacarri Rambo or something to tjat eefect Id rather not draft a QB.

I want the Steelers to draft Rambo. That is the kind of jersey I want to wear if I have to wear one.

Steel95
02-10-2013, 08:40 PM
If they stay at #17, they have to go WR/OLB/SAFETY.

BlaZeQuietly
02-10-2013, 09:19 PM
I mentioned this 2 months ago and it got shot down, not gonna happen this year, because the majority of people on steelers fever forum said so.

kan_t
02-10-2013, 09:28 PM
I mentioned this 2 months ago and it got shot down, not gonna happen this year, because the majority of people on steelers fever forum said so.
We will see if the Steelers also think so.

SteelersCanada
02-10-2013, 09:55 PM

No, common sense shot it down. Tell me, what Quarterback would you take over a defensive player in what is quite possibly the best defensive draft in a decade. If you're going to criticize, make sure you have some kind of ground or footing to stand on. In this case, know what Quarterback prospects are available in this draft, then do research on what defensive playmakers are available in the later rounds and may have fallen due to various reasons.

If you're going to get snippy, know what you're talking about. I'd appreciate that.

Bane
02-10-2013, 10:22 PM
I don't really dig the idea, to be honest. I think there are much more pressing needs that warrant the use of draft picks, especially in the early rounds. Plus, as everyone else has said, the quarterback class in this draft is less than stellar.

I'm hoping the Steelers grab Chance Warmack in the first round, Eddie Lacy or Eric Reid in the second, and a tall (6'2"+) wide receiver in the third.

desertsteel
02-10-2013, 11:18 PM
There are serviceable backups to be had in free agency. E.g., Matt Moore

steeltheone
02-10-2013, 11:19 PM
To many holes on this team to take a QB early on an average to poor QB draft class.

casteeler
02-11-2013, 07:27 PM
Which QB do you want in this year draft?

I'll let Colbert and the gang decide that

PhantomJB93
02-11-2013, 07:46 PM
No, no, no, no, no, and no.

This team does not need an early round backup or eventual starter right now. Not with so many other needs. It would be stupid to take one if this were the 04 draft class, it would be stupid to take one if this were the 2012 draft class, and it would certainly be stupid to take one in the absolute, by far, weakest QB draft class in years.

Keep Charlie, sign a UFA, sign a veteran FA on the cheap, draft one in round 7, but don't even sniff one with the first 5, even 6 picks.

Riddle_Of_Steel
02-11-2013, 08:52 PM
No.

There are no QBs worth drafting early in this year's class-- we should address the backup QB position through free agency.

There are plenty of other positions of need on this team, but even beyond that-- they need to get back to drafting BPA instead of drafting to fill needs.

kan_t
02-11-2013, 08:56 PM
I'll let Colbert and the gang decide that
And they likely decide not to use an early round pick on QB.