PDA

View Full Version : If Ben was an Unrestricted Free Agent today , what would the Rooney's do ?

scottcurtis
02-10-2013, 09:01 PM
Use the exclusive franchise tag on him ? Let him test the waters or let him walk ?

Curious on your thoughts ? I bet the Steelers have thought about it. they cant be happy with the total QB situation, lack of a quality back up, starter that cant make it through the season. I see a Qb drafted in the top 5 rounds this year.

teegre
02-10-2013, 09:08 PM
A: They'd delete this thread.

steeltheone
02-10-2013, 11:15 PM
Tag him.

SteelersCanada
02-10-2013, 11:32 PM
They've thought about a starter that can't make it through the season that brought them to 3 Super Bowls in the 7 years he was drafted, including 4 AFC Title games?

No. They haven't thought about it. I like that the Ben bashing is getting a little bit more discreet, though.

dez09231
02-11-2013, 12:33 AM
You miss 10 total games to injury over 9 years and all of a sudden you're a fragile piece of shit who can't stay healthy. Great logic, Steelers fans.

lloydwoodson
02-11-2013, 01:02 AM
You miss 10 total games to injury over 9 years and all of a sudden you're a fragile piece of shit who can't stay healthy. Great logic, Steelers fans.

Add 4 games missed to off-the-field trouble. I think off-the-field trouble makes a player more unreliable because they can get hurt and they have the added risk of missing games to off-the-field behaviour. In Ben's case there is now a low risk of off-the-field trouble and credit to him for making some positive decisions.

In any event, while Roethlisberger might not miss games he plays hurt often. If there was a backup the Steelers felt more confident in they might not rush Ben back from injury etc.

dez09231
02-11-2013, 02:13 AM
Everyone plays hurt. When Ben gets hurt it's highlighted 4 or 5 x because he makes a show of telling everyone that he's playing hurt. He may get hurt more than the average QB, but it's not like the media likes to make it sound.

As for the 4 game suspension, I highly doubt he's going to rape again. He probably had to pay the Georgia girl in the high 7 figures to make that go away. It was national news.

lloydwoodson
02-11-2013, 02:16 AM
Yeah Dez, that is a very good point. Roethlisberger has not been hurt as much as the media has made it seem.

Thanks for giving me some perspective.

dez09231
02-11-2013, 02:20 AM
Don't mention it.

kan_t
02-11-2013, 02:21 AM
Pay him.

scottcurtis
02-11-2013, 02:32 AM
Add 4 games missed to off-the-field trouble. I think off-the-field trouble makes a player more unreliable because they can get hurt and they have the added risk of missing games to off-the-field behaviour. In Ben's case there is now a low risk of off-the-field trouble and credit to him for making some positive decisions.

In any event, while Roethlisberger might not miss games he plays hurt often. If there was a backup the Steelers felt more confident in they might not rush Ben back from injury etc.

I also find it funny Ben comes back this year only after the Steelers beat baltimore with Batch. His ego would not allow another QB to "win behind that Line" or whatever other lame things Ben apologist's have to say ! Then only after being completely ineffective the rest of the season and throwing terrible picks that cost the us playoffs does he say "maybe i came back to soon" Another built in excuse !!!!!!!!!!!

pete74
02-11-2013, 04:27 AM
Of course I would keep him in a second. We can't win without him. As forhis iinjuries, he getshurt every season . To me it not the time missed but the poor play when he rushes back to soon that matters.

VaDave
02-11-2013, 05:50 AM
Everyone plays hurt. When Ben gets hurt it's highlighted 4 or 5 x because he makes a show of telling everyone that he's playing hurt. He may get hurt more than the average QB, but it's not like the media likes to make it sound.

As for the 4 game suspension, I highly doubt he's going to rape again. He probably had to pay the Georgia girl in the high 7 figures to make that go away. It was national news.
dez

If there was a rape involved, he's be in jail.......

VaDave
02-11-2013, 05:56 AM
I also find it funny Ben comes back this year only after the Steelers beat baltimore with Batch. His ego would not allow another QB to "win behind that Line" or whatever other lame things Ben apologist's have to say ! Then only after being completely ineffective the rest of the season and throwing terrible picks that cost the us playoffs does he say "maybe i came back to soon" Another built in excuse !!!!!!!!!!!

I dunno Woody, it sure looked like 10 mph came of his fastball on most passes after he came back. No doubt his placement of the ball was more eratic afterwards as well. His stats pre injury we not that bad IMO. My queston is, can you think of any reason why he would regress as he did other than injury?

wwhickok
02-11-2013, 05:59 AM
They would trade him for a 7th round pick of course.:banging:

Bayz101
02-11-2013, 06:09 AM
Dez and Llyod are going to get married. Just need to arrange the ceremonies. :chuckle:

On topic: Pay the man.

WVABE
02-11-2013, 06:41 AM
Of course I would keep him in a second. We can't win without him. As forhis iinjuries, he getshurt every season . To me it not the time missed but the poor play when he rushes back to soon that matters.Exactly, you would think with his maturity and his past experience in rushing back in, one would think he'd know to stay out at least another week. They all do it (except for the slackers who are there strictly for a paycheck)and one would think they would know that there is a great chance that they are only hurting the team.

steelfury02
02-11-2013, 07:26 AM
Make it to the clock tower 'right after the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance - cause the only thing that will get them back to the future is 1.21 Gigga Watts aka A Bolt of Lightning

This way they defeat Biff, Save Ben and everything will be back to normal.

Gnutella
02-11-2013, 07:40 AM

Not to rehash this debate for the 2,305,634,937,906,379,061,283rd time, but why is it unacceptable to speculate that the alleged victim "just wanted an easy pay day," but acceptable to speculate that Roethlisberger "paid her off to make it go away"? That strikes me as a blatant double standard. I don't believe either scenario to be true, but I do believe there's a shortage of critical thinking skills out there, considering this double standard has gone so long without even being noticed, let alone called into question.

As for the answer to the original question, the Rooney family would franchise him, sign him to a four- or five-year contract extension, and tell all the yinzers to pound sand.

Steelers5895
02-11-2013, 08:16 AM

I can't believe I am saying this but great post.

Steelers5895
02-11-2013, 08:24 AM
based on the steelers paying big money to brown, trying to pay big money to wallace, drafting mendy and sweed one year rds 1 and 2, spending a 1st on Pouncey and this past draft going OL 1 & 2.

Plus they brought in Haley to "keep Ben upright".

That tells me they want Ben in the line up and surrounded by talent.

harrison'samonster
02-11-2013, 09:01 AM
if Ben were a free agent, the Rooney's would try to hold onto him. however, I would like to think that they would have a well developed QB waiting for a shot if and when they need him.

To be honest, QB's who play so physically don't last much longer than what we've already seen out of Ben. He's started 126 games. Steve Young started 124 game in San Fran. McNair started 131 in TEN. What Roethlisberger is doing is impressive and the Rooney's standing behind him is a big reason why the Steelers have had continuous success over the years.

VaDave
02-11-2013, 09:17 AM
Not to rehash this debate for the 2,305,634,937,906,379,061,283rd time, but why is it unacceptable to speculate that the alleged victim "just wanted an easy pay day," but acceptable to speculate that Roethlisberger "paid her off to make it go away"? That strikes me as a blatant double standard. I don't believe either scenario to be true, but I do believe there's a shortage of critical thinking skills out there, considering this double standard has gone so long without even being noticed, let alone called into question.

As for the answer to the original question, the Rooney family would franchise him, sign him to a four- or five-year contract extension, and tell all the yinzers to pound sand.

For the kazillion time, mainly because if there was any evidence that a rape occured, not only would he have had to pay off the girl, but all the law enforcement agencies in the State of Geogia. Even with Ben's $100 million dollar contract, that's not enough money to bribe everybody.

As for the girl's action, while you might convince me that she may not have been looking for a major payday, there is no doubt she was looking for trouble as evidenced by the DTF button she was sporting.

What is even more telling was the reaction of her father. What kind of father would not employ every means availible to defend his daughter's honor? Forget about the money for a minute, and think about you reacting that way if she was your daughter..

If 1/10 of what Ben has been accused of was true, either the courts, or the family would have halled Ben out to the nearest tree and hung his butt..

I hope that helps you understand how I arrived at my opinion, but I also understand where you are coming from and your sensitivity on the subject.. Listen, I've spent a lot of my early years working in bars, and bars in college towns as a working musician and have lived through a lot of crazyness just like this one.

Agreed it didn't make me a fly on the wall that night, or stall if you'd rather....( actually, there were probably were flys on the stall walls, not to mention at lot of liquid on the floor at that point of the day. Certainly not a exactly a place that would inspire one in search of amourus adventure...), but let me tell, the old BS o Meter hit a high level when this went down. Under the circumstances, normal people just do not react the way this girl and her father did when something as serious as a rape actually occurs unless there is more to the story.

And if there was, and If I were a betting man, there was another side of this that didn't favor the girl much. You certainly were not going to hear about it from the media making absolute fortune over this story acting as judge, jury, and executioner BEFORE examing the astounding lack of evidence that anything actually occured.

Sorry guys for hijacking this thread. This whole episode totally torques me off.

steelfury02
02-11-2013, 09:41 AM
"Of course I hope he dies. I hope he burns in HEEELLL"
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-o6aCyzmeoB4/TdLQHvMqrUI/AAAAAAAAA9U/3bE_qEm5nS0/s1600/clee.jpg

scottcurtis
02-11-2013, 11:44 AM

BEN SETTLED THE LAWSUIT IN NEVADA ... LOOK IT UP....GUILTY !!!!!!!

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/steelers/story/2012-01-20/ben-roethlisberger-settles-lawsuit/52702798/1

Maybe all the Ben lovers have their heads in the sand when this came out ? He said he would fight to the end. Right up to the point he knew he would have to testify and be cross examined. Then he paid her for the rape he committed against her.

fansince'76
02-11-2013, 11:56 AM
Maybe all the Ben lovers have their heads in the sand when this came out ?

Head in sand, indeed...

Co-worker says Andrea McNulty bragged about having sex with Ben Roethlisberger (http://www.examiner.com/article/co-worker-says-andrea-mcnulty-bragged-about-having-sex-with-ben-roethlisberger)

The only thing he was guilty of in the case of McNutty was banging a psycho. The only miscarriage of justice there was the Nevada judge allowing the charade to continue.

scottcurtis
02-11-2013, 12:16 PM
Head in sand, indeed...

Co-worker says Andrea McNulty bragged about having sex with Ben Roethlisberger (http://www.examiner.com/article/co-worker-says-andrea-mcnulty-bragged-about-having-sex-with-ben-roethlisberger)

The only thing he was guilty of in the case of McNutty was banging a psycho. The only miscarriage of justice there was the Nevada judge allowing the charade to continue.

And he settled , cuz he did it ! Now not even Nevada judges are not as smart as Ben, anyone else ? The guy got away with rape at least twice ! Rumors of a third in Boston. Same guy who took a header into a Buick driving without a license and almost had his aorta stabbed by his own rib trying to kill him.

jb500ex
02-11-2013, 12:26 PM
if Ben were a free agent, the Rooney's would try to hold onto him. however, I would like to think that they would have a well developed QB waiting for a shot if and when they need him.

To be honest, QB's who play so physically don't last much longer than what we've already seen out of Ben. He's started 126 games. Steve Young started 124 game in San Fran. McNair started 131 in TEN. What Roethlisberger is doing is impressive and the Rooney's standing behind him is a big reason why the Steelers have had continuous success over the years.

Remember this when his career is over and some facts come out

dez09231
02-11-2013, 12:41 PM
For the kazillion time, mainly because if there was any evidence that a rape occured, not only would he have had to pay off the girl, but all the law enforcement agencies in the State of Geogia. Even with Ben's $100 million dollar contract, that's not enough money to bribe everybody.

As for the girl's action, while you might convince me that she may not have been looking for a major payday, there is no doubt she was looking for trouble as evidenced by the DTF button she was sporting.

What is even more telling was the reaction of her father. What kind of father would not employ every means availible to defend his daughter's honor? Forget about the money for a minute, and think about you reacting that way if she was your daughter..

If 1/10 of what Ben has been accused of was true, either the courts, or the family would have halled Ben out to the nearest tree and hung his butt..

I hope that helps you understand how I arrived at my opinion, but I also understand where you are coming from and your sensitivity on the subject.. Listen, I've spent a lot of my early years working in bars, and bars in college towns as a working musician and have lived through a lot of crazyness just like this one.

Agreed it didn't make me a fly on the wall that night, or stall if you'd rather....( actually, there were probably were flys on the stall walls, not to mention at lot of liquid on the floor at that point of the day. Certainly not a exactly a place that would inspire one in search of amourus adventure...), but let me tell, the old BS o Meter hit a high level when this went down. Under the circumstances, normal people just do not react the way this girl and her father did when something as serious as a rape actually occurs unless there is more to the story.

And if there was, and If I were a betting man, there was another side of this that didn't favor the girl much. You certainly were not going to hear about it from the media making absolute fortune over this story acting as judge, jury, and executioner BEFORE examing the astounding lack of evidence that anything actually occured.

Sorry guys for hijacking this thread. This whole episode totally torques me off.

The chain of events was: Ben's bodyguards are seen leading visibly drunk girl to backroom, Roethlisberger goes in, bodyguards stand at backdoor and tell girls friends who are looking for her that she isn't in there, girl comes out crying hysterically, girl goes to police officer immediately, hospital staff describes her as "hysterical" and performs a rape kit that finds vaginal tearing consistent with rape as well as head injuries, girl has interviews with police, police interview Ben, police want DNA sample from Ben, girl magically doesn't show up for police interviews anymore and the DA can not compile a case without her testimony.

No one knows for sure what happened besides those two people, but she isn't going to go away without anything.

Dez and Llyod are going to get married. Just need to arrange the ceremonies. :chuckle:

On topic: Pay the man.

I'm not moving to Canada. It's too cold this time of year. He's going to have to come down here.

Because I read the entire file after it was released, from beginning to end. Judging by testimony of people at the club, the very best scenario is that he had his entourage help seperate a drunk girl from her friends, isolate her in a secluded room, went back and had consenual sex with her, then it was so magical for her that she started to have a mental breakdown in front of the club after it was over. He himself admitted 90% of what witnesses saw, even that there was sex involved.

If this was Ray Lewis we'd crucify him. But he's a Steeler, so its' cool.

Dude is a shit person, but a great football player.

harrison'samonster
02-11-2013, 12:45 PM
Remember this when his career is over and some facts come out

do you mean lingering injuries will be admitted? I think the guy's taken a beating over the years and I hope they don't catch up to him too soon. He can still have some great years ahead of him, and I hope he and the Steelers can get a few more shots at the SB.

VaDave
02-11-2013, 12:53 PM
BEN SETTLED THE LAWSUIT IN NEVADA ... LOOK IT UP....GUILTY !!!!!!!

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/steelers/story/2012-01-20/ben-roethlisberger-settles-lawsuit/52702798/1

Maybe all the Ben lovers have their heads in the sand when this came out ? He said he would fight to the end. Right up to the point he knew he would have to testify and be cross examined. Then he paid her for the rape he committed against her.

Where in this article is there anything that anybody said, on either side, that there was admitted or proved guilt? Absolutely there was an allegation, but ZERO proof of guilt. I assume you know the difference between and allegation and proof positive?

VaDave
02-11-2013, 12:57 PM
And he settled , cuz he did it ! Now not even Nevada judges are not as smart as Ben, anyone else ? The guy got away with rape at least twice ! Rumors of a third in Boston. Same guy who took a header into a Buick driving without a license and almost had his aorta stabbed by his own rib trying to kill him.

You got that accident all wrong. He maliciously attacked that Buick, which was minding it's own business, with malace of forethought using his head....lol.... of course not much was said about the driver and why her Buick was where it was..... but....

austinfrench76
02-11-2013, 02:45 PM
I love the "Delete this thread" post!!!!!!!!

SteelersCanada
02-11-2013, 02:55 PM
ScottCurtis, I think I speak for all of SteelerNation when I say ...

Shut the fuck up.

MACH1
02-11-2013, 03:15 PM
I vote for 'delete this thread'.