PDA

View Full Version : AB Ready to Take on Leadership Role for the Steelers

SteelersCanada
02-12-2013, 10:23 PM
Brown working hard, ready to lead

By: Teresa Varley - Steelers.com

On a bitter cold winter morning, with temperatures hovering in the single digits and most people not wanting to venture outside the comfort of home, receiver Antonio Brown was at the Steelers’ practice facility on the South Side.

With no required workouts until OTAs begin in the spring, Brown didn’t have to be there. He could have easily stayed home, and stayed warm. But instead he stayed on course, as he has done since the season ended, working out one his own either at the team’s facility or elsewhere.

“The battle is ongoing. It’s never ending,” said Brown. “I have taken a break as far as pounding my body, but you have to keep the cardio up, which keeps my strength up.”

Brown’s workouts range from some light weight lifting, to basic cardio to swimming, allowing him to work on breathing, heart rate and endurance.

“You have to do something to better yourself every day,” said Brown. “You have to take a step every day to be your best.

“If you want to be your best, you have to outwork your opponent. My opponent is not just someone I am competing against, but I am my biggest opponent. I know if I compete against myself every day I am working to be my best. That is something I always take pride in, working to better myself.”

Brown knows that last season’s 8-8 record was unacceptable, the first time in his three-year NFL career without post-season play. He doesn’t want a repeat of it, a year where he found himself a spectator during the playoffs, watching games from home.

“It definitely adds fuel to it,” said Brown. “You always have to have drive. You learn a lot from last year, put it behind you for the most part, but you still have to remember some of it and get better and work to make a difference so you don’t have that same experience.

“Watching the playoffs was motivation. You see teams you played against and wonder why it wasn’t us. You wonder was it our ability physically on the field or was it our mentality, or team chemistry. A lot of things come up. You had a feeling that you wanted to be out there and you hope your teammates get the same feeling when they were watching it.”

With fellow receiver Mike Wallace about to enter free agency, Brown knows that he could be called upon to carry more of the load going into the 2013 season. He feels ready for whatever comes his way, and knows every extra bit of work he puts in this offseason will help to ensure that.

“I am always ready,” said Brown. “I am ready no matter who is here, no matter who goes. I am always working on getting better. I will be ready no matter what the situation is. Whoever stays in the room, we just have to know the importance of working hard and with the right attitude. We haven’t really won anything, we haven’t done anything, so we have to take the poor man approach that we don’t have anything and we are hungry to get everything and appreciate what we have. We have to work with that mentality and if we do that we will make less mistakes and mental errors and win more.”

The Steelers lost several veteran leaders before the 2012 season, and with three years now under his belt Brown knows he needs to take on that kind of role. While he prefers leading by example, he might have to challenge himself to step out of his comfort zone and become more of a vocal leader.

“We have a lot of young guys,” said Brown. “A lot of guys haven’t been around here for the history of this team. I want to make sure guys understand the importance of being here, the tradition and what is required from our peers, coaches and everybody inside this building. You have to know the history of something if you are a part of it. You have to know where it started, where it came from and what it’s about. You know where you are with it now and where you want to go. I can help teach guys about that and take that type of approach.

“Every man here has to understand the importance of what the Steelers logo stands for, the men that came before us and wore the jersey and we have to understand the importance of it, be humbled by it and work with that mentality.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Brown-working-hard-ready-to-lead/c217e57f-8d0a-4f0d-b682-58b057ed5a2f

-- Sounds to me like he's a guy that's ready to step up and take that number one receiver role. Before we start losing our minds over Mike Wallace heading to another team, let's not forget the studs we have in AB and Manny. If the rest of the team - Roethlisberger included - takes this kind of approach to the upcoming season, then I have a good feeling. A great feeling.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
02-12-2013, 10:33 PM
You can tell Brown really wants to be great from his work ethic, glad we have guy like Brown on our team.

harrison'samonster
02-12-2013, 10:41 PM
nice, glad to hear he's got the heart, gotta keep focused game to game during the season though. He's got great work ethic and the talent to become a top reciever.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
02-13-2013, 01:02 AM
Jerry rice used to say he knew he didnt have the best talent or skill set but he knew everyday he was going to out work his opponent on and off the field and thats what made him the greatest wr is history.

Sounds like ab has the same mind set which is good to hear.

Riddle_Of_Steel
02-13-2013, 03:54 AM
His was never a question of work ethic. He just needs to tone down the goofy shit (although I gotta admit his backwards touchdown was worth the penalty).

This year was an aberration for him. The argument of him needing Wallace opposite the field holds no more water than Ward needing Holmes, Buress, or Courtney Hawkins opposite him. He will be back to form with another year in Haley's system regardless of who is on the otner side of the field.

Galax Steeler
02-13-2013, 04:36 AM
I hope that Brown can step up to that role as a leader. There will never be another Ward out there on the field but hopefully Brown can be vocal enough to rally the offense.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
02-13-2013, 04:58 AM
His was never a question of work ethic. He just needs to tone down the goofy shit (although I gotta admit his backwards touchdown was worth the penalty).

This year was an aberration for him. The argument of him needing Wallace opposite the field holds no more water than Ward needing Holmes, Buress, or Courtney Hawkins opposite him. He will be back to form with another year in Haley's system regardless of who is on the otner side of the field.

Agreed catch the ball and get back to the huddle.

The_Joker
02-13-2013, 07:19 AM
I hope that Brown can step up to that role as a leader. There will never be another Ward out there on the field but hopefully Brown can be vocal enough to rally the offense.

:applaudit:

wwhickok
02-13-2013, 07:45 AM
I really like Antonio Brown. Thats why I bought bis Jesery. I didnt have a problem with the backward score. I think the flag was total b.s. but doesnt change the fact he shouldnt have even risked it. Just gotta play smarter, lead by example first.

lipps83
02-13-2013, 11:10 AM
I think Brown has the ability and the work ethic to be a top notch receiver. Plus, he is an all-around good guy. I remember a few years back when he spent a few days, if not a week with a fan from twitter.

Great guy to have on this team and I am happy with the fact the Steelers have him locked up for a few years.

WVABE
02-13-2013, 12:04 PM
Agreed catch the ball and get back to the huddle.

That's always been my problem with him, sure hope he's grown up a bit. I like the dedication in him :tt03:

steelfury02
02-13-2013, 12:14 PM
if he stays true to his words - Brown might be turning a corner, and - if we gain him as a leader and it is infectious - the Steelers could be coming back in a big way.

I'll be rooting for him - Ben and all of Steeler Nation needs this guy to become what we hope he can be

FrancoLambert
02-13-2013, 05:55 PM
Great talent that needs to mature.

Knock off the "1st down look at me" pose. It's old already.

By all accounts, he's a very hard worker. I hope he works on securing the ball better.

And when you score, just flip the ball back to the ref. Show some class.

jacobo
02-14-2013, 07:21 AM
if he gets his head right he has a chance to be one of the few small number 1 guys in the league, which takes an insane amount of talent and hard word to achieve. Hope he does, he has a chance to be really good.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
02-14-2013, 08:08 AM
Great talent that needs to mature.

Knock off the "1st down look at me" pose. It's old already.

By all accounts, he's a very hard worker. I hope he works on securing the ball better.

And when you score, just flip the ball back to the ref. Show some class.

You know who does that is deandre Hopkins from Clemson. Would love to see him next to brown.

desertsteel
02-14-2013, 10:35 AM
I don't care if he's flamboyant as long as he makes plays. Jerry Rice was an aberration in the flamboyance department. Most great receivers are that way. Goes with the territory (e.g., TO, Ocho, Moss, Irvin, et al).

stb_steeler
02-14-2013, 12:21 PM
Lets hope all others will follow his lead :wink02:

FrancoLambert
02-14-2013, 04:32 PM
I don't care if he's flamboyant as long as he makes plays. Jerry Rice was an aberration in the flamboyance department. Most great receivers are that way. Goes with the territory (e.g., TO, Ocho, Moss, Irvin, et al).

TO eventually became a pain in the ass to his teams.

Ochocinco eventually became a pain in the ass to his teams.

Moss eventually became a pain in the ass to his teams.

Irvin never did.

All were flamboyant and 3 became distractions to their teams.

There's a big downside to flamboyance.

SteelersCanada
02-14-2013, 04:45 PM
TO eventually became a pain in the ass to his teams.

Ochocinco eventually became a pain in the ass to his teams.

Moss eventually became a pain in the ass to his teams.

Irvin never did.

All were flamboyant and 3 became distractions to their teams.

There's a big downside to flamboyance.

Ocho and TO in their primes were also very, very good. Some guys have TO in his prime as a top 5 WR of all time. They only really became a pain in the ass when they were already far past their prime and kept up the charade long after they were already ineffective.

I don't care if Brown runs 20 yards backward into the endzone. I don't care that he does the 'Santonio Holmes' after every first down. I don't care if he pulls down his pants and shits on the Raven in M&T everytime they go - as long as he's effective and surehanded, he can do what he wants. He's also only a couple years older than me so I know where he's coming from. He's a young guy having fun out there and we shouldn't reprimand him because it's not the 'Steeler Way'. Let him do his dance and have his fun - as long as he's catching the ball.

Bayz101
02-14-2013, 06:56 PM
Keep in mind, before injury, Brown was on pace for 1,100+ yards and 7-9 touchdowns.

If he stays healthy along with Ben and the offensive line, we'll make the playoffs. The defense will probably determine how deep into the playoffs we go, but the offense will need to do more than there part to make magic happen. This isn't the same defense that led us to the big game in '08. It's time for the offense to step it up, and it all starts with Ben and our young receivers.

Hawaii 5-0
02-18-2013, 07:11 PM
MONDAY, 18 FEBRUARY 2013
WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

--- Apparaently @AntonioBrown84 is catching flack for writing this on Twitter last night: “Praises be to Allah.’’

That’s it. Here’s a take on it from Amber Lee, a Pittsburgh native blogging in Washington, D.C.:
Amber Lee (@blamberr)

2/18/13

Steelers' Antonio Brown: Praises Allah on Twitter, Enrages Followers wp.me/p1WlcD-f7 @HuffingtonPost @PittsburghPG @EdBouchette

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/119910-ed-scratch-ogletree-as-possible-steelers-pick

harrison'samonster
02-18-2013, 07:12 PM
why would that make people angry?

harrison'samonster
02-18-2013, 07:37 PM
can't we accept that the players have there own faith, be they Christian, Jew, or Miscellaneous. :chuckle:

SteelersCanada
02-18-2013, 08:26 PM
He was quoting a song. He's a devout Catholic, but people tend to overreact.

Hawaii 5-0
02-18-2013, 08:28 PM

I can see why that would make narrow-minded people angry...

FrancoLambert
02-18-2013, 08:46 PM

For some: Allah = Muslim
Muslim = terrorist

That's the immediate connection they make.

harrison'samonster
02-18-2013, 08:59 PM
For some: Allah = Muslim
Muslim = terrorist

That's the immediate connection they make.

Must be. It's just so hard to believe. But like Hawaii 5-0 said, if the people are narrow minded enough I could believe that is their reasoning.