PDA

View Full Version : Remember the good old days?

Stu Pidasso
02-13-2013, 02:53 AM
Remember the good old days?

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=30111

Riddle_Of_Steel
02-13-2013, 03:42 AM
Remember the good old days?

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=30111

Touche.

It wouldnt be a rivalry though if it did not go back and forth some.

Blacksburg Zach
02-13-2013, 08:00 AM
Touche.

It wouldnt be a rivalry though if it did not go back and forth some.

Indeed, as much as I love seeing the Steelers beat the Ravens, and as much as I hate seeing the Ravens beating the Steelers, the fact that the games are always competitive and that each team wins its fair share of games against each other and that the two teams are usually among the NFL's best is what makes this rivalry great, as opposed to the Steelers-Browns rivalry or the Steelers-Bengals rivalry.

casteeler
02-13-2013, 01:02 PM
The Great years are made better by struggling through years like the last

NSMaster56
02-13-2013, 09:09 PM
The Great years are made better by struggling through years like the last

Not calling you out specifically, but is anyone else tired of hearing about how last year was a 'struggle'?

The Steelers were in every game except the San Diego fiasco.

They were screwed by injuries and screwed themselves due to years of failed drafts and poor planning.

8-8 and missing the playoffs by a game is 'frustrating', but not a 'struggle' (or any other type of hyperbolic word).

It's just one year.

Riddle_Of_Steel
02-13-2013, 11:21 PM
Not calling you out specifically, but is anyone else tired of hearing about how last year was a 'struggle'?

They were screwed by injuries and screwed themselves due to years of failed drafts and poor planning.

8-8 and missing the playoffs by a game is 'frustrating', but not a 'struggle' (or any other type of hyperbolic word).

It's just one year.

"Struggle" is NOT hyperbole, it is an accurate description of spending a lot of effort, but getting failed results.

casteeler
02-13-2013, 11:21 PM

It's just one year.

I've experienced a few seasons with 'Struggles'. Injuries are struggles and the team 'Struggled in nearly every game. The Run sucked,there was NO pass rush...... The season is over and the 8-8 record didn't reflect how badly the team played vs teams they should have pummeled But Injuries and piss-poor execution made this season very hard to watch. So yeah Stuggle

steelfury02
02-14-2013, 08:40 AM

It's just one year.

how can it be just one year but years of failed drafts and poor planning? Sorry - just genuinely wondering if you think they can overcome this scenario or will it be a rebuilding phase for the next couple of seasons

NSMaster56
02-14-2013, 07:03 PM
how can it be just one year but years of failed drafts and poor planning? Sorry - just genuinely wondering if you think they can overcome this scenario or will it be a rebuilding phase for the next couple of seasons

Years of failed drafts to create depth or replace the aging vets.

The poor planning is more failure to plan for contingents when Big Ben gets injured.

That said, the aging vets and average backups performed pretty admirably. 8-8 is a 'failure' if the goal was to win it all, but is still a solid season.

Your question is valid, but as of yet this was only the second time where the Steelers have had a .500 season since winning SB XL.

The Steelers can overcome said deficiencies rather easily, hence my gripe with the 'woe is us' crowd.

The Steelers are fine.

NSMaster56
02-14-2013, 07:07 PM
I've experienced a few seasons with 'Struggles'. Injuries are struggles and the team 'Struggled in nearly every game. The Run sucked,there was NO pass rush...... The season is over and the 8-8 record didn't reflect how badly the team played vs teams they should have pummeled But Injuries and piss-poor execution made this season very hard to watch. So yeah Stuggle

It was a 'struggle' compared to past years, but 'in a vacuum' the Steelers were still in the top-half of the league overall.

Scoring roughly the league AVG on offense and allowing less than league averages across the board defensively don't seem like 'struggle' to me, just 'disappointment' (offensively). More specifically, even the time frame where the offense clearly did struggle was AFTER Big Ben got injured, so... yeah, obviously. Shit happens.

Comparatively, the New York Jets (among other teams) STRUGGLED on offense. The Steelers were just average (and better than average pre-Big Ben injury).

Sorry to pick nits, and I know this is the internet and all, but there are easily 10-15 other teams who were [far] worse than the Steelers and who would have loved to 'struggle' like they did this last year and only miss the playoffs by a game.

casteeler
02-15-2013, 01:25 AM
It was a 'struggle' compared to past years, but 'in a vacuum' the Steelers were still in the top-half of the league overall.

Scoring roughly the league AVG on offense and allowing less than league averages across the board defensively don't seem like 'struggle' to me, just 'disappointment' (offensively). More specifically, even the time frame where the offense clearly did struggle was AFTER Big Ben got injured, so... yeah, obviously. Shit happens.

Comparatively, the New York Jets (among other teams) STRUGGLED on offense. The Steelers were just average (and better than average pre-Big Ben injury).

Sorry to pick nits, and I know this is the internet and all, but there are easily 10-15 other teams who were [far] worse than the Steelers and who would have loved to 'struggle' like they did this last year and only miss the playoffs by a game.

I think the team as it stands is bottom 10 in the NFL. If they had made the playoffs, it wouldn't have been favorable as the team was trending down at the end of the season. I think the saying goes 'Go into the playoffs hot' and the Steelers were ice cold

teegre
02-15-2013, 08:37 AM
I think the team as it stands is bottom 10 in the NFL. If they had made the playoffs, it wouldn't have been favorable as the team was trending down at the end of the season. I think the saying goes 'Go into the playoffs hot' and the Steelers were ice cold

Before the BB injury, they were rolling... and several ESPN analysts were picking the Steelers to win it all.

Of course, some people will swear & aver that losing BB (& his subsequent injury-plagued return) had nothing to do with the "cold" finish to the season.

steelfury02
02-15-2013, 09:27 AM
Years of failed drafts to create depth or replace the aging vets.

The poor planning is more failure to plan for contingents when Big Ben gets injured.

That said, the aging vets and average backups performed pretty admirably. 8-8 is a 'failure' if the goal was to win it all, but is still a solid season.

Your question is valid, but as of yet this was only the second time where the Steelers have had a .500 season since winning SB XL.

The Steelers can overcome said deficiencies rather easily, hence my gripe with the 'woe is us' crowd.

The Steelers are fine.

To your point, even the backup plan was so close to still eeking out the last playoff spot- we still could have won that game at home against Bmore with Leftwich, still could have beat Cleveland despite 8 turnovers, won at Bmore with Charlie - it was a season of ups and downs - notice the "could haves" - I was really disappointed in our WR/RB corp this season - no one on that side of the ball had risen to the occasion during Ben's absence and after his return - that was the difference IMO. No one helped take the pressure off of Leftwich or Charlie - no one stepped up on O like in 2010 during Ben's 4-gamer.

NSMaster56
02-15-2013, 12:00 PM
To your point, even the backup plan was so close to still eeking out the last playoff spot- we still could have won that game at home against Bmore with Leftwich, still could have beat Cleveland despite 8 turnovers, won at Bmore with Charlie - it was a season of ups and downs - notice the "could haves" - I was really disappointed in our WR/RB corp this season - no one on that side of the ball had risen to the occasion during Ben's absence and after his return - that was the difference IMO. No one helped take the pressure off of Leftwich or Charlie - no one stepped up on O like in 2010 during Ben's 4-gamer.

Agreed.

The team has become so dependent on Big Ben that the season was doomed with his injury.

Still, it was a close race to the finish and one which bodes well should the team stay healthy and/or find suitable replacements for those who are 'breaking down'.

Also, I should edit my statement from 'failed drafts' to 'mediocre drafts'. It's unfair to say that the Steelers (overall) have 'failed' in drafts, just mostly drafted replacement-level players.

NSMaster56
02-15-2013, 12:16 PM

Could not disagree more and here's why:

JAX, KC, OAK, PHI, AZ, BUF, NYJ, CLE, TEN and IND (statistically)... that's 10 teams who were easily worse than PIT last year (with CAR, DAL, DET, MIA, NO, SD, STL and TB in the 'worse than' discussion as well). So PIT is maybe, at worst, 11th worst team.

More importantly, even if the Steelers were 'bottom 10' last year, the Colts were the WORST team in 2011 and, with a whole lot of Luck (pun intended), they made the playoffs in 2012.

It's rather obvious that the Steelers are on the down slope of their run with their championship Corps (Troy, Hampton, Debo, etc.), but it's not over yet. 'Struggles' aside they were literally one or two plays away from the playoffs and we know that just getting into the playoffs is all some teams need (Giants x2, Ravens...).

2012 was a disappointing and frustrating season. It was a 'failed' season if the expectation was 'everything or nothing'. But, 'in a vacuum' it was, as is often the case for any team, just another season.

Not good, not bad, not great or terrible. As Stringer Bell would say, it was a 40 degree day (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ttbQTz8tAE).

Blacksburg Zach
02-15-2013, 02:30 PM

I seem to remember a certain team that went into the playoffs having lost five of their final six games. That's about as cold as a team can get going into the playoffs, yet that team went on to win the superbowl. Once the playoffs start, it's a whole new season, and what happened in the regular season no longer matters. Is it likely that the Steelers would have made too much noise in the playoffs? No, but for all we know, they could have gone on a tear all the way to a superbowl win, just like the Ravens did this recent postseason.

harrison'samonster
02-15-2013, 02:34 PM
I seem to remember a certain team that went into the playoffs having lost five of their final six games. That's about as cold as a team can get going into the playoffs, yet that team went on to win the superbowl. Once the playoffs start, it's a whole new season, and what happened in the regular season no longer matters. Is it likely that the Steelers would have made too much noise in the playoffs? No, but for all we know, they could have gone on a tear all the way to a superbowl win, just like the Ravens did this recent postseason.

I absolutely agree. You have to get into the playoffs. I remember reading on here that some ppl didn't even want to make the playoffs because they thought it would be just like the year before against Denver. I can understand not wanting to be embarrased in such a big game, but if you make the playoffs anything can happen.