PDA

View Full Version : the patriots still need a wide receiver

tony hipchest
08-18-2006, 06:25 PM
who will it be?

im thinking theyre waiting for charles rogers to be cut. word is the new lions coaching staff dont like him and he's been benched for tomorrows pre season game.

LambertIsGod58
08-18-2006, 06:26 PM
they'll turn Chad Jackson into a star...Brady has proven he can win with mediocre receivers.

tony hipchest
08-18-2006, 06:33 PM
they'll turn Chad Jackson into a star...Brady has proven he can win with mediocre receivers.well branch is saying hes ready to sit out til week 10. you think theyre gonna go at it with just jackson (rookie), brown (old) and caldwell (cast off)? i think they need one or 2 more to atleast help on special teams.

LambertIsGod58
08-18-2006, 06:34 PM
well branch is saying hes ready to sit out til week 10. you think theyre gonna go at it with just jackson (rookie), brown (old) and caldwell (cast off)? i think they need one or 2 more to atleast help on special teams.

It wouldn't surprise me...and you didn't mention Ben Watson. He'll figure into the mix alot more this year I think.

CantStop85
08-18-2006, 06:36 PM
There'll be a lot of talented receivers let loose before the season starts. The patriots will probably jump on the best available. I don't think Detroit is quite ready to part ways with Charles Rogers, but that's a possibility. The Bengals might part ways with Kelley Washington...he could be another possibility and Quincy Morgan from the Steelers as well.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-18-2006, 06:41 PM
who will it be?

im thinking theyre waiting for charles rogers to be cut. word is the new lions coaching staff dont like him and he's been benched for tomorrows pre season game.

Tony I say Lee Mays. You know is going to cut. Every year it seems Lee gets cut but he always finds his way back to the Burgh.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-18-2006, 06:43 PM
It wouldn't surprise me...and you didn't mention Ben Watson. He'll figure into the mix alot more this year I think.

I second that. Ben Watson is a freak and he going to have a big year. I have drafted him on alot of my fantasy teams.

tony hipchest
08-18-2006, 06:49 PM
I second that. Ben Watson is a freak and he going to have a big year. I have drafted him on alot of my fantasy teams. i took him last year as my sleeper back up to dallas clark. both were disappointments which means both will probably break out this year as i avoid them cause im still pissed! :dang:

but hes still not a wr. anyone think they would just go with 4 wr and 4 te?

quite unconventional, but, then again, so is bill balcocheck

Black@Gold Forever32
08-18-2006, 06:57 PM
i took him last year as my sleeper back up to dallas clark. both were disappointments which means both will probably break out this year as i avoid them cause im still pissed! :dang:

but hes still not a wr. anyone think they would just go with 4 wr and 4 te?

quite unconventional, but, then again, so is bill balcocheck

The Pats will run alot of two TE sets this year. They have to with the lack of depth they have at the WR position. Even with Branch their WR's they still have questionable depth. Now they are stacked at the TE position. With Watson and Graham. They also drafted the kid out of Texas.

Livinginthe past
08-19-2006, 12:27 AM
Another thing to factor in is the run heavy potential of our offense.

There is every chnace that, as B&GF32 says, that we are going to see alot of 2/3TE sets - with one of the TE's (Garrett Mills) being converted to HB/FB which is going to open up things alot for us on the ground.

As much as we are struggling to depth on the WR front, I havent been this excited about a Patriots running attack for....well.....forever.

I'd be surprised if we pick up anyone from Pittsburgh, the Steelers are a LBer factory but I think the WR corps is certainly one of the weaker in the NFL.

If Brady has a fully functioning running game then his PA is going to be extremely dangerous - and we know he can elevate the play of receivers with previously average careers.

NM

BlackNGold203
08-19-2006, 07:24 AM
LMAO...after the Seau signing...LOL.......they are already on the phone with Rice....LMAO....:cool: :cool:

hardwork
08-19-2006, 03:21 PM
If Brady has a fully functioning running game then his PA is going to be extremely dangerous - and we know he can elevate the play of receivers with previously average careers.

NM

That'd be great.

Anyway, they'll put something together.

RoethlisBURGHer
08-19-2006, 03:34 PM
I think they'll hope Rodgers or Williams gets cut,they'll sign whichever isn't kept.

Livinginthe past
08-19-2006, 03:47 PM
That'd be great.

Anyway, they'll put something together.

Its been a consistent attribute of BB teams that if they can make a game a dog fight they often come out on top.

We suffered some huge blowouts last year - the Chargers game springs to mind (painfully) - but when we could remain competitive with a team and when our D wasn't injury ridden swiss cheese we wre capable of taking on and matching anyone.

Even if the talent level is not huge this year on D, i think some of the players will have benefited from last years experience.

The one thing we can't afford to happen ( and what seems to happen just about every year) is a calamitous run of injuries during the season -especially if they are focussed in a single area - like the DB's last year and the year before.

NM

Black@Gold Forever32
08-19-2006, 03:52 PM
I think you Pats fans are not giving David Givens is just due. Sure he wasn't a great WR and isn't worth the money the Titans gave him. But he was a solid WR and has proven himself. The guys you have now without Branch really are just cast offs and a rookie. I forgot about Troy Brown. But what is he like 100 now? I see a ton of two TE sets and you did draft that FB/H-Back. But the lack of depth at WR has to be a concern for you guys.

Livinginthe past
08-19-2006, 04:10 PM
No doubts that is a worrying situation.

I think we'd all love Branch in a Patriots uni asap, but the David Givens question can only be answered if he puts up some much better numbers with the Titans - after all he will be the No.1 out there.

This is the reality of the salary cap and success - the players all feel they deserve to get paid becasue they played a part in a multiple SB winning team but we simply dont have the resources to pay everyone that type of money.

Just trying to stay positive, and I think the increased number of running plays and multiple TE sets will certainly reduce our reliance upon WR's - if we didnt have the depth ans strength in the TE corps (which I think is the most talented by some way in the NFL) then Brady would be struggling to find a target out on the field.

NM

Black@Gold Forever32
08-19-2006, 04:41 PM
No doubts that is a worrying situation.

I think we'd all love Branch in a Patriots uni asap, but the David Givens question can only be answered if he puts up some much better numbers with the Titans - after all he will be the No.1 out there.

This is the reality of the salary cap and success - the players all feel they deserve to get paid becasue they played a part in a multiple SB winning team but we simply dont have the resources to pay everyone that type of money.

Just trying to stay positive, and I think the increased number of running plays and multiple TE sets will certainly reduce our reliance upon WR's - if we didnt have the depth ans strength in the TE corps (which I think is the most talented by some way in the NFL) then Brady would be struggling to find a target out on the field.

NM

Well you should stay positive. The Pats are still a very good football team. Just saying I think David Givens deserves some credit. I wouldn't say he is average like it was suggested. He has proven to produce in the regular season and in the post season. I think at this point Reche Caldwell and Chad Jackson are a drop off from Givens. Now Chad Jackson has the potential. But right now its just potential.

hardwork
08-19-2006, 06:24 PM
Everybody's complaining about the guys they've given up. They just aren't going to give older players deals that cost them down the road. Therefore Mcginnis and Vinatieri are gone. If either of those two had been willing to go a year at a time they'd still be here. But why tie yourself up for three years with guys who are in their early to mid 30s?

Time will tell. If the shine goes off the apple Kraft will buy another basket. Trust me, Kraft isn't going to let his heart get in the way. But, BB has got at least another 3 years to show the past 5 years weren't dumb luck.

I have to add here that dispite the loss to Denver I was very impressed with last years team at the end of the season. They came back from a lot.