PDA

View Full Version : Cook: It's time for LaMarr Woodley to focus on football

Hawaii 5-0
02-17-2013, 12:10 PM
Cook: It's time for LaMarr Woodley to focus on football

February 17, 2013
By Ron Cook / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers linebacker LaMarr Woodley wasn't much of a football player last season, but he is getting rave reviews for his portrayal of legendary rapper Jam Master Jay. Woodley, Trent Richardson of the Cleveland Browns and Marshawn Lynch of the Seattle Seahawks are featured in a pictorial in the Feb. 18 issue of ESPN The Magazine, recreating an album cover of the iconic hip-hop group Run DMC. Woodley is wonderful in the photographs that have been released and has talked about the painstaking preparation that went into the project.

It's nice to think Woodley will devote the same energy this offseason to his day job.

The Steelers haven't made much news since the NFL season ended, but it's the calm before the storm. General manager Kevin Colbert promised significant changes, which could begin this week. A team that finishes with a disappointing 8-8 record has to make changes. "We'd be silly to expect a better result [with] the same group of guys," Colbert said.

Much of the speculation has centered around linebacker James Harrison. Will he agree to a pay cut or a restructuring of his contract? If he doesn't, will the Steelers release him to save precious money under the NFL salary cap?

The Steelers need Harrison. He missed the first three games last season after knee surgery and took a long time to get into playing shape. But by the end of the season, he was playing good football. He was the same disruptive force he used to be on a defense that, despite impressive statistics, badly needed one.

Harrison will turn 35 in May, but that's not as much of an issue with him as it is with other players. He is the Steelers' hardest worker. He trains maniacally. Unlike last year, he will get in all of the off-season work. He will be ready to go when training camp opens in July. He should have a big season.

It's not as if Jason Worilds can step in and take Harrison's place. He's a good pass rusher and had five sacks as a part-time starter last season, but there is more to the outside linebacker position than that. Steelers linebacker Larry Foote often talked of how Harrison "pushed back the line of scrimmage" on running plays, especially later in the season. Worilds doesn't appear to have the size or power to do that.

Memo to Colbert:

Keep Harrison.

But Harrison isn't the key to the Steelers defense.

That's the other outside linebacker.

Woodley.

The team needs him to pick up his game and become a dominant player again opposite Harrison.

"He was awful," one teammate said of Woodley's performance last season.
"He tells us he works out, but we didn't see it. He wasn't in shape. That has to be a reason why he was always hurt."

Colbert defended Woodley when asked about that assessment, saying Woodley always has carried a lot of weight. That might be true, but Woodley was a much different player, a much worse player. He looked heavy and slow. He had just four sacks after getting nine in the first half of the 2011 season before a serious hamstring injury ruined that season for him.

Injuries have become an issue with Woodley. Before his hamstring injury against the New England Patriots in the eighth game of 2011, he had played in 58 consecutive games, including 46 consecutive starts. But he missed six of the final nine games in 2011 and was ineffective in the three he played, including the playoff loss to the Denver Broncos. No sacks. He missed one game last season with another hamstring problem and two more games because of an ankle injury.

"He tells us he works out, but we didn't see it ... "

It's easy to say Woodley got fat -- literally and figuratively -- after he agreed to a six-year, $61.5 million contract before the 2011 season, including a $22.5 million signing bonus. But that would mean ignoring those nine sacks in the first eight games of 2011. He was in the NFL Defensive Player of the Year conversation before his hamstring injury.

No one begrudged Woodley his money. He had played out his original four-year contract and made just $550,000 in the 2010 season because of a technicality. He never complained. He just produced. He had 13 sacks in 2010, including three in the postseason. He had 13 1/2 sacks in 2009 and 17 1/2 in 2008, including six in the postseason.

It wasn't long after Woodley sacked Arizona Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner to end the Steelers' 27-23 win in Super Bowl XLIII after the 2008 season that Woodley talked about his motivation.

"Ain't no price tag on winning. Winning and making history is something you can't buy. Me? I'm a guy who loves history. When I'm 60 or 70, I don't want to be remembered for the money I make. I want to be in the history books."

There was no mistaking Woodley's point. He wanted to be remembered as one of the NFL's great linebackers.

Woodley was well down that path before his hamstring injury against the Patriots in 2011. He needs to get back on it if the Steelers are going to be successful in 2013.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/ron-cook/cook-its-time-for-lamarr-woodley-to-focus-on-football-675736/#ixzz2LAor2pt7

harrison'samonster
02-17-2013, 02:05 PM
"He was awful," one teammate said of Woodley's performance last season.
"He tells us he works out, but we didn't see it. He wasn't in shape. That has to be a reason why he was always hurt."

wow, interesting to hear that a teammate would speak out like that. Woodley can and must get back to his former self.

VaDave
02-17-2013, 02:32 PM
I'm a thinkin' that once that hammy went against NE, Lamar had an epiphany that if he had any hope of collecting on that mega contract, he needed to stay healthy. He's been playing like that ever since.

harrison'samonster
02-17-2013, 02:36 PM
I'm a thinkin' that once that hammy went against NE, Lamar had an epiphany that if he had any hope of collecting on that mega contract, he needed to stay healthy. He's been playing like that ever since.

that's very possible. If I were in the same situation it would be hard to think of losing all that money. I know he's said he doesn't care about the money, but who doesn't care about money?

These players are people too and not owned by the team and we never know exactly what's in their heart.

VaDave
02-17-2013, 02:53 PM
$50-60 Mil??? Of course he's thinking about it. You think Wallace wasn't thinking about his next contract this past season as well??

It's got to be. Most of these guys have families counting on them, and this is the one and only opportunity to make this kind of jack for generations, but they have to be able to stay on the field to get it.

Atlanta Dan
02-17-2013, 03:07 PM
The anonymous quotes about Woodley are just another example of members of the 2012 team bitching to the news media - part of Tomlin's job this offseason is to get everyone (including the QB) to keep their complaints in-house

harrison'samonster
02-17-2013, 03:17 PM
The anonymous quotes about Woodley are just another example of members of the 2012 team bitching to the news media - part of Tomlin's job this offseason is to get everyone (including the QB) to keep their complaints in-house

agreed.

VaDave
02-17-2013, 03:24 PM
Dan,

The anonymous quoters only reiterated what was glaringly obvious to the untrained eye, but I do agree that this kind of talk should be kept in the clubhouse. Or better yet, left unsaid.

harrison'samonster
02-17-2013, 03:27 PM
Dan,

The anonymous quoters only reiterated what was glaringly obvious to the untrained eye, but I do agree that this kind of talk should be kept in the clubhouse. Or better yet, left unsaid.

it was obvious, but not necessarily obvious to Woodley. I can't remember what article it was in, but Woodley seemed to think he played great football all year. This might come as quite a shock to him.

Hopefully it will give him the motivation he needs to go out and tear things up next year.

Blacksburg Zach
02-17-2013, 03:28 PM

Agreed. Keep all disagreements/complaints in-house and away from the media. Bitching to the media is for teams like the New York Jets.

Atlanta Dan
02-17-2013, 03:31 PM
Dan,

Agreed - not defending Woodley - everyone could see he was fat

TheVet
02-17-2013, 04:28 PM
Every once in awhile Ron Cook writes a good article. It's always a nice surprise to see one come along.

Alsteel
02-17-2013, 05:53 PM
Never heard anonymous quotes during cowher years. This tells me tomlin
is losing the players.

SteelersCanada
02-17-2013, 06:03 PM
is losing the players.

Then you need to reassess because he can't control what his players say during the offseason. Expecting him to is ridiculous. Stoop nitpicking and looking for reasons to pin things on Tomlin when it has nothing to do with him.

Alsteel
02-17-2013, 06:18 PM
True but have you ever hear a steeler bad mouth another,come out be a man
no need for anonymous quotes.These type of situations what help destroy the jets
locker room

VaDave
02-17-2013, 10:00 PM
I believe Hines was on record on more than one occassion talking about Ben, coaches, and the defense, but at least Hines had the balls to say it out in the open, not anonymously. As I said earlier, frankly, I don't want to hear this crap .You leave the fight on the field, and the verbage in the lockeroom where it belongs.

FrancoLambert
02-17-2013, 10:11 PM
I have no problem with anonymous criticism by a player or out in the open criticism if the intention is to get a teammate to raise his sub-standard level of play.

Woodley sucked pure and simple. And he was fat. He regressed big time.

Hopefully he has some pride and this verbal kick in the ass motivates him to train harder.

VaDave
02-17-2013, 10:33 PM
I have no problem with anonymous criticism by a player or out in the open criticism if the intention is to get a teammate to raise his sub-standard level of play.

Woodley sucked pure and simple. And he was fat. He regressed big time.

Hopefully he has some pride and this verbal kick in the ass motivates him to train harder.

I appreciate your position. I don't what or how anybody or anything that is going to light a fire under him, even himself. The guy has been paid more money than he knows what to do with, and has a few more bucks coming, if he can stay on the field. By the time he hits the field this year, most of that $61 million will have been paid out to him.

His main concern now is is health. Age wise he's pretty young, and should be able to land another decent contract when his current one expires, but he's going to have to remain in one piece until then to get it. I'm not looking for him playing balls out anytime soon under the circumstances, and will have to suffer through another two years of watching him playing patty cake with whatever TE or RB that happens to be in his area.

OX1947
02-17-2013, 11:58 PM
I believe Hines was on record on more than one occassion talking about Ben, coaches, and the defense, but at least Hines had the balls to say it out in the open, not anonymously. As I said earlier, frankly, I don't want to hear this crap .You leave the fight on the field, and the verbage in the lockeroom where it belongs.

Difference between Woodley and Ben, is Ben is an unmitigated asshole. Plus, when Hines speaks, he speaks the truth. he and Bettis and Farrior were the heart, mind and soul of the Steelers the last 15 years.

TRH
02-18-2013, 12:43 AM
what about his "bowling league" too? He's on Twitter and Facebook all the time talking about "current events", his bowling, stuff about other games/players, portrayals such as this, etc.
Meanwhile - i'm thinking "why aren't you just in the goddamn GYM????"

I don't want to hear about bowling leagues, magazine shoots, and various community service 'meet and greets'. Sure as hell doesn't seem to be much, if any, focus on the 2 things he needs to focus on - and i mean razor-sharp focus - football and working out/gym/getting in spectacular shape. I'm really starting to wonder if we'll ever see that out of him at this point...................

Steeldude
02-18-2013, 06:35 AM
Looks like the same Woodley I have talked about since he was drafted. Are people finally seeing the light? He may get 9+ sacks next year . The result will be the same fans being fooled again.

VaDave
02-18-2013, 07:04 AM
You got $40-$50 mill lying around, you're going to have an outside life away from football.

Atlanta Dan
02-18-2013, 08:40 AM
You got $40-$50 mill lying around, you're going to have an outside life away from football.

No question - but how you spend that life can range anywhere from Peyton Manning to Michael Vick

BKAnthem
02-18-2013, 08:48 AM
True but have you ever hear a steeler bad mouth another,come out be a man
no need for anonymous quotes.These type of situations what help destroy the jets
locker room

I guess you nothing about the earl Holmes led, chair swinging, locker room brawl during the Cowher years either

BKAnthem
02-18-2013, 08:50 AM
is losing the players.

I guess you nothing about the earl Holmes led, chair swinging, locker room brawl during the Cowher years either

steelfury02
02-18-2013, 09:10 AM
what about his "bowling league" too? He's on Twitter and Facebook all the time talking about "current events", his bowling, stuff about other games/players, portrayals such as this, etc.
Meanwhile - i'm thinking "why aren't you just in the goddamn GYM????"

I don't want to hear about bowling leagues, magazine shoots, and various community service 'meet and greets'. Sure as hell doesn't seem to be much, if any, focus on the 2 things he needs to focus on - and i mean razor-sharp focus - football and working out/gym/getting in spectacular shape. I'm really starting to wonder if we'll ever see that out of him at this point...................

Unfortunately - today's NFL is not even the NFL we were used to during the XL or XLIII run - same goes for the type of players. We are going to see a dip in execution by most teams and players during the regular season - a lot more sloppy football and the first to 35+ points wins. Then, whoever is good enough to get into the extended playoff field (ludicrous) will have a chance at a trophy. We might see a .500 team get in and get just the right matchups (even a team like the Jets who are dysfunctional 24/7) - do just enough to eek out a trophy - demeaning the whole thing. Watered down league, watered down teams, players with lack of substance.

Just about all players market themselves on social media nowadays - but, you can make up your own mind and decide who is spending more time on it and with extra curricular activities and who is only using it on occasion.

Does this make Woodley an Grade A a-hole? Absolutely not. Bad person? No. Great teammate and great player he COULD be? Not that either. He has a ton of potential - this year will be very telling if Woodley is here for a while longer or if he is just a flash in the pan.

FrancoLambert
02-18-2013, 09:55 AM
This is the most telling comment.

"He tells us he works out, but we didn't see it."

If his teammates don't see him working out what does that tell you about Woodley.

steelfury02
02-18-2013, 10:05 AM
This is the most telling comment.

"He tells us he works out, but we didn't see it."

If his teammates don't see him working out what does that tell you about Woodley.

- notice "he tells US"

that his players are only reiterating what Butler has had to say about him - seems to be a general belief out there about his work ethic

SteelersCanada
02-18-2013, 11:01 AM
Clark: Woodley comments show Steelers 'fracture'

By Gregg Rosenthal

The league's least valuable player -- anonymous teammate -- emerged from hiding this weekend to rip on Steelers linebacker Lamarr Woodley.

"He was awful," the teammate said of Woodley to the Post-Gazette. "He tells us he works out, but we didn't see it. He wasn't in shape. That has to be a reason why he was always hurt."

Woodley isn't going anywhere. He's one of the core pieces to the Steelers defense and they may need him more than ever with James Harrison a potential salary cap casualty this offseason. Safety Ryan Clark, speaking on NFL A-M, wishes the anonymous teammate kept his comments private.

"My biggest problem with that is not LaMarr, or is not someone's feelings about LaMarr," Clark said. "My problem is now its public. We were talking about the Ravens earlier, we were talking about the brotherhood, we were talking about the family that they were. We all have arguments with our brothers, sisters, cousins, but that stays in house. What you talk about then stays there and it doesn't get out to the public. So that is the problem. ...

"That shows that this team that is normally close, you had the Joey Porters, the Alan Fanecas, just down the line, leader after leader, this team was close-knit. It shows there is a fracture in that. I think that is the most disappointing thing about that coming out."

Clark went on to emphasize that Woodley is already training in Arizona this offseason. Perhaps Woodley knows that he didn't do enough last year to live up to his contract.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000139980/article/clark-woodley-comments-show-steelers-fracture?campaign=Twitter_atl

-- He's right. When Hines, Farrior and Smith left there was a definite gap in leadership. I'm sure Keisel is a great guy, but the defense was playing undisciplined football and some of that has to be shouldered by the defensive captain. We need a young guy to step up and take on that role this year or we're going to face a similar fate.

SkipBayless69
02-18-2013, 11:29 AM
I can not believe what I am hearing. Lamarr Woodley is the 6th Steelers sack leader all-time. Woodley is a Probowl caliber OLB and arguably the best LOLB in the NFL today. Sure, he spends too much time on his twitter account and so do a lot of 15 year-old girls, but that doesn't make him a bad person or that Jenny says Erin thinks he looks fat.

The bottom line here, the bottom line is that Woodley needs another season to prove himself to the fans and the organization. We all owe some degree of confidence to Woodley as he is arguably the Dick Butkus of his generation.

harrison'samonster
02-18-2013, 11:35 AM
I can not believe what I am hearing. Lamarr Woodley is the 6th Steelers sack leader all-time. Woodley is a Probowl caliber OLB and arguably the best LOLB in the NFL today. Sure, he spends too much time on his twitter account and so do a lot of 15 year-old girls, but that doesn't make him a bad person or that Jenny says Erin thinks he looks fat.

The bottom line here, the bottom line is that Woodley needs another season to prove himself to the fans and the organization. We all owe some degree of confidence to Woodley as he is arguably the Dick Butkus of his generation.

hahaha. I do agree that he needs another season to prove himself. But is he going to prove himself a great player, or somebody who's coasting on a huge contract?

steelfury02
02-18-2013, 12:46 PM
just something to ponder:

Ryan Clark "Woodley comments show fracture"

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000139980/article/clark-woodley-comments-show-steelers-fracture

Atlanta Dan
02-18-2013, 02:30 PM
Well I guess that means we can rule out Ryan Clark as the source of the anonymous quote

This statement by Clark was noteworthy

"That shows that this team that is normally close, you had the Joey Porters, the Alan Fanecas, just down the line, leader after leader, this team was close-knit. It shows there is a fracture in that. I think that is the most disappointing thing about that coming out."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000139980/article/clark-woodley-comments-show-steelers-fracture

With Farrior and Ward gone, while Ben spends time pining away for departed coaches, this team is adrift with regard to player leadership

TheVet
02-18-2013, 02:42 PM

Just an aside: I hate seeing Alan Faneca listed here, because he went into total shutdown mode due to his contract situation the year before he left, and the team went to hell. That's not leadership, and it was a disappointing end to his time here.

steeltheone
02-18-2013, 02:58 PM
Just an aside: I hate seeing Alan Faneca listed here, because he went into total shutdown mode due to his contract situation the year before he left, and the team went to hell. That's not leadership, and it was a disappointing end to his time here.

Fanaca in shut down mode was better than most. But I understand what you are saying. That was a decision made at his peak of performance. It was down hill from there for Fanaca.

Atlanta Dan
02-18-2013, 03:03 PM
Fanaca in shut down mode was better than most. But I understand what you are saying. That was a decision made at his peak of performance. It was down hill from there for Fanaca.

Few things can tear up a team more than someone pissed off about his contract situation (Porter & Cowher - 2006/Faneca - 2007/Wallace - 2012)

steelfury02
02-18-2013, 03:25 PM
Hines Ward was the last true leader - I love guys like Heath Miller that just show up, work hard, do their job, and lead by example - but, we need a voice(s) on both sides of the ball who will put fellow teammates on the spot - it seems people need to be held more accountable - those who say Tomlin is responsible for the fracture and lack of leadership are only partially correct - he can only communicate what is expected of them from an execution standpoint, and how to act like a professional - all those involved in scouting and drafting personalities are next, but, there is the third and most important part to that equation - buying in from the players - you only get this from a group of talents who lack substance for a short period of time - just enough to make a quick run at a trophy and then it is gone forever - or, you get sustained buy in and leadership over a long period of time

Right now, i'd say the Steelers are in the process of finding those who buy in, who can lead, and those who will absolutely own their role. This type of stuff upsets the hell out of me - I don't know what its like to make 6-8 figures, so I can't speak to getting motivated when you got that kind of dough to fall back on - but, we need these guys to emerge, and like, emerge last season. Buy in and vocal leadership seem to be a rare commodity with the Steelers lately.

sloppyjoe
02-18-2013, 03:29 PM
relax guys. we have one of, if not the best, head coach in the nfl. he will take care of this.

GoFor7
02-18-2013, 03:29 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/18/ryan-clark-woodley-blast-shows-fracture-within-steelers/

Ryan Clark: Woodley blast shows “fracture” within Steelers
Posted by Josh Alper on February 18, 2013, 11:24 AM EST

Over the weekend, there were a couple of different articles in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette referencing Steelers linebacker LaMarr Woodley’s need to work harder this offseason.

Ed Bouchette wrote one of them with the general view that the team wants to see more effort on Woodley’s part. Ron Cook got an anonymous teammate of Woodley’s to share a scathing assessment of his teammate.

“He was awful,” the teammate said. ”He tells us he works out, but we didn’t see it. He wasn’t in shape. That has to be a reason why he was always hurt.”

Safety Ryan Clark has now weighed in, although he’s not taking any position on whether or not Woodley let the team down last year. He’s more upset about the fact that the unnamed teammate went public with his complaints and aired his grievances on the NFL Network Monday.

“We all have arguments with our brothers, sisters, cousins, but that stays in-house. What you talk about then stays there and it doesn’t get out to the public. So that is the problem,” Clark said. “That shows that this team that is normally close, you had the Joey Porters, the Alan Fanecas, just down the line, leader after leader, this team was close-knit. It shows there is a fracture in that. I think that is the most disappointing thing about that coming out.”

The Steelers have done a good job of reloading as key veterans shuffle off the team in recent years, but it isn’t guaranteed that the next generation is always going to pick up where the previous one left off. One comment doesn’t mean that’s what’s happening in Pittsburgh right now, but it does mean that Clark and other established leaders might have some extra work to do this offseason to keep things where they want them in the organization.

So according to Clark, the problem isn't that Woodley was out of shape and invisible the entire season, it's that someone spoke up about it.

With all the Raven ass-kissing this guy has done over the past month, he really just needs to shut up.

TheVet
02-18-2013, 03:45 PM

Yeah, I'm not so sure about that. When the OL play suddenly went rotten, that's when I began my hobby of OL-watching in slow-mo to understand what was going wrong, and Faneca was a big soft spot. He looked a lot like Trai Essex - often standing there, then turning around to look at what just blew past him.

He embarrassed himself pretty badly at the end of his time here. In a strange way, he was a leader until the very end - he lead the mammoth OL decline from which we're still trying to recover.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
02-18-2013, 03:51 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/18/ryan-clark-woodley-blast-shows-fracture-within-steelers/

So according to Clark, the problem isn't that Woodley was out of shape and invisible the entire season, it's that someone spoke up about it.

With all the Raven ass-kissing this guy has done over the past month, he really just needs to shut up.

No, he's saying that any problems within the team needs to stay within th team and that's how it's been. He's not going to say the problem is Woodley in public he will keep it in house. So he won't agree in the public eye but behide closed doors he probably agrees in those comments.

He's not ass kissing the ravens he's simply saying that they became a family in a sense this season and it got them a ring. Similar with the bus, the ravens came together with one goal in mind and that was to get ray another ring in his last season. They did anything they could and became a very close group and having team chemistry is very important.

GoFor7
02-18-2013, 04:17 PM
No, he's saying that any problems within the team needs to stay within th team and that's how it's been. He's not going to say the problem is Woodley in public he will keep it in house. So he won't agree in the public eye but behide closed doors he probably agrees in those comments.

And that's all irrelevant. The point is Woodley is fat and needs to get his ass in shape for all the money the Steelers are paying him. Who said what to the media is beside the point.

He's not ass kissing the ravens he's simply saying that they became a family in a sense this season and it got them a ring. Similar with the bus, the ravens came together with one goal in mind and that was to get ray another ring in his last season. They did anything they could and became a very close group and having team chemistry is very important.

Guess you weren't paying attention? He was pulling for the Ravens, specifically cheerleading Lewis. How do some of you feel that Clark was rooting for the Steelers' hated rival to win a super bowl? How about Clark being buddy-buddy with Ed Reed after the Ravens beat the Steelers at Heinz Field?

The only guy who seems to be fracturing the team is Clark himself.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
02-18-2013, 05:22 PM
And that's all irrelevant. The point is Woodley is fat and needs to get his ass in shape for all the money the Steelers are paying him. Who said what to the media is beside the point.

Guess you weren't paying attention? He was pulling for the Ravens, specifically cheerleading Lewis. How do some of you feel that Clark was rooting for the Steelers' hated rival to win a super bowl? How about Clark being buddy-buddy with Ed Reed after the Ravens beat the Steelers at Heinz Field?

Lots of guys from the steelers pick they ravens or even "rooting" for them. Like they all said it goes to show AFC north is the best division in football. You read to much into what Clark says because I see a guy that plays his heart out each and every game.

Atlanta Dan
02-18-2013, 05:36 PM

Clark said on NFL Network the week before the game that he was rooting for the 49ers. Just because Clark says anonymous quotes are divisive (Clark is right) does not mean Clark claims Woodley was in shape or that it was OK if Woodley was out of shape

GoFor7
02-18-2013, 05:59 PM
Clark said on NFL Network the week before the game that he was rooting for the 49ers. Just because Clark says anonymous quotes are divisive (Clark is right) does not mean Clark claims Woodley was in shape or that it was OK if Woodley was out of shape

How is telling the truth divisive? The only reason these comments are being made a big deal is because Clark keeps talking about it.

harrison'samonster
02-18-2013, 06:16 PM
How is telling the truth divisive? The only reason these comments are being made a big deal is because Clark keeps talking about it.

That's just not true at all.

GoFor7
02-18-2013, 06:21 PM
That's just not true at all.

Yeah, actually it is. Who said what to who is irrelevant. The fact of the matter is Woodley needs someone's foot shoved up his ass.

harrison'samonster
02-18-2013, 06:26 PM
who said what to who when?

Atlanta Dan
02-18-2013, 06:38 PM
Yeah, actually it is. Who said what to who is irrelevant. The fact of the matter is Woodley needs someone's foot shoved up his ass.

If a player wants to call Woodley out face to face go for it - if Tomlin, Butler, Colbert or LeBeau want to tell Woodley to lose 30 pounds and do conditioning exercises for his legs that is what coaches and GMs do

But making anonymous statements about a co-worker is chickenshit in the NFL or any job - truth is not an absolute justification for how something is said

As far as "keeping this alive" Cook's column did that after Woodley's awful season has been a subject of discussion for months - Clark is trying to tell everyone to keep it in the family going into what is going to be a tumultuous offseason with several familiar faces

TheVet
02-18-2013, 06:52 PM
relax guys. we have one of, if not the best, head coach in the nfl. he will take care of this.

Hahhah, yes, the substandard is the standard. We acknowledge that. Time to release hell. :applaudit:

SteelersCanada
02-18-2013, 07:09 PM
Hahhah, yes, the substandard is the standard. We acknowledge that. Time to release hell. :applaudit:

Two Super Bowl appearances under 40 and a Super Bowl victory. We missed the playoffs because our first string Quarterback went down. Oh, and then we head into M&T Bank and beat the Ravens. With Charlie Batch.

Yep, all of that screams substandard.

harrison'samonster
02-18-2013, 07:17 PM
Two Super Bowl appearances under 40 and a Super Bowl victory. We missed the playoffs because our first string Quarterback went down. Oh, and then we head into M&T Bank and beat the Ravens. With Charlie Batch.

didn't you know? Tomlin needs to WIN a SB every other year to justify being a head coach in the NFL. :rofl:

SteelersCanada
02-18-2013, 07:22 PM
didn't you know? Tomlin needs to WIN a SB every other year to justify being a head coach in the NFL. :rofl:

:chuckle: I swear that's the ideology on this site. He's only been to two Super Bowls in 6 years? Let's fire this clown.

harrison'samonster
02-18-2013, 07:26 PM
:chuckle: I swear that's the ideology on this site. He's only been to two Super Bowls in 6 years? Let's fire this clown.

Sure he's been to two SB's but that was with Cowher's players. :sofunny:

WokeUpWithaWoodley
02-18-2013, 09:00 PM
Anyone have any thoughts of who said the comment?

If I had to say someone I would say hood. Just cause hood gets a lot of blame for his play and people blame him for woodleys success. If Woodley has a 15 sack season I don't think people would talk about hood that much.

Just an idea.

TheVet
02-18-2013, 09:11 PM

Come on, I'm just making fun of his trite sayings. I've posted before that I think he's a perfectly good NFL coach, probably B/C+, top third perhaps. With a great organization he's perfectly capable of great things, and I'm happy to have him here.

But I'm not gonna close my eyes and blindly worship anything wearing a Steelers logo, either.

harrison'samonster
02-18-2013, 09:12 PM

If I had to say someone I would say hood. Just cause hood gets a lot of blame for his play and people blame him for woodleys success. If Woodley has a 15 sack season I don't think people would talk about hood that much.

Just an idea.

I'm hesitant to speculate on it actually. It could be Wallace because he wants a big contract and the Steelers can't afford it partly because of Woodley's contract.

It could be Harrison because he might blame Woodley's sub-standard season on reason they are being criticized for lacking a pass rush, meanwhile thinking it is unfair he's going to get cut and lose his money while Woodley gets to play out his big contract.

It could be Foote because he sees himself as continuing Farrior's tradition as defensive leader, and Foote saw the unnamed source as a way to motivate Woodley.

Regardless of who it is, I hope they learned to keep it inside the family from now on.

SteelersCanada
02-18-2013, 09:16 PM

Just an idea.

I think it'd be easier to narrow down who didn't say it and work from there -

Troy, Clark, Ike, Harrison, Hampton, Timmons, Foote and Keisel.

That leaves Lewis, Heyward and Hood if we're just going off starting players. In that case I think you're right, I think since Hood got all that flack in past offseasons, he'd put some of the blame on Woodley.

VaDave
02-18-2013, 09:58 PM
Hood has little room to talk.

As for Woodley having 15 sacks would make us forget, think on this. He averages about 3 tackles a game ( and most of those are combos, not solo's btw) That's 48 tackles a season, plus 15 sacks is 63 plays a year out of roughly 530 some odd plays a year he's on tyhe field. Don't you ever wonder what's going on the other 450 snaps a year??

Having watched him for every snap over the last three years I can tell you most of the time he does little, and impacts the game even less. Doubt me, suscribe to NFL rewind and see for yourself. On condensed, you can watch a whole season in about 31/2 to 4 hours. It's very illuminating.

pczach
02-18-2013, 10:25 PM
I think Ryan Clark is showing leadership by putting his name on his comments about speaking anonymously about a teammate. He is leading by making his statement about the unnamed player taking a shot at a teammate in the press. We don't have a clue if what the unnamed player said is true. For all we know, Woodley might have intentionally put on weight thinking it would help him get a better bull rush. We literally don't know. It doesn't mean the guy sat around eating Twinkies, Krispy Kreme donuts, and Snickers bars while watching tv all day. All I'm saying is, he's done enough in his career that I'm willing to give the guy the benefit of the doubt. Let's see what he does this year. I have a feeling he'll be back strong.

Steeldude
02-19-2013, 12:08 AM

When will his first season of proving himself take place?

Butkus of his generation? :rofl: I look at your post count and now I see why that comment was so absurd

Steeldude
02-19-2013, 12:11 AM

It was obviously someone with 20/20 vision

Hawaii 5-0
02-19-2013, 01:30 AM
Comments on LaMarr Woodley and Now Ryan Clark’s Comments Should have All Been Kept Behind Closed Doors

By Kyle Curry on February 18, 2013

Ryan Clark is turning the comments about LaMarr Woodley into a much bigger deal than they previously were. This is now becoming a big issue in the media and will be stuck in the media, likely, into training camp. Yesterday the following un-sourced comments came, allegedly, from one of Woodley’s teammates on the Steelers roster:

“He was awful,” the teammate said. ”He tells us he works out, but we didn’t see it. He wasn’t in shape. That has to be a reason why he was always hurt.”

With no one linked to these comments many have speculated that they may be fabricated. If they were fabricated they are making a much bigger impact than the creators probably thought they would. However, no matter where the comments came from Ryan Clark has taken them very seriously. Clark joined NFL AM on the NFL Network this morning and said the following:

“We all have arguments with our brothers, sisters, cousins, but that stays in-house. What you talk about then stays there and it doesn’t get out to the public. So that is the problem,” Clark said. “That shows that this team that is normally close, you had the Joey Porters, the Alan Fanecas, just down the line, leader after leader, this team was close-knit. It shows there is a fracture in that. I think that is the most disappointing thing about that coming out.”

Clark then joined the “Dave Dameshek Football Program” (Full Interview Here) with the following comments:

“I would say it had to be defense, that’s what I would think,” Clark told Dameshek. “I think it’s someone that plays defense. I would say they felt personally let down by it, ‘I wish he was out there with us’ type of situation.”

“It wasn’t me,” Clark joked. “If it was me, the concussions have made me forget about it.”

Then Clark returned to NFL Network this evening on NFL Total Access and continued to discuss the topic:

“I think the toughest thing, dealing with our situation, is losing,” said Clark. “When you start to lose then these things become problems. Obviously if we go 12-4, and we are in the playoffs, Woodley’s play is not pointed out as a reason to why we weren’t winning games, and then we don’t have an “anonymous” player come out and say something, which to me is cowardly.

“It makes me sad to be a leader of that team, that we don’t have enough control of our locker-room, where guys feel like they have a brotherhood and a family, where they can communicate things between each other and keep them out of the media.”

Now Woodley and the player that made these comments have both been called out by fellow teammates within two days of each other. The first comments should have been kept behind locked doors in the first place. No player should call out another player especially to the media. If these comments were fabricated by Cook then shame on him for starting this whole thing in the first place, but for now we will give him the benefit of the doubt.

As for Clark’s comments (all of them) they should have been kept behind locked doors as well. Talk to your teammates tell them that this is not acceptable and move on from it; be a leader to your team and help shut down this media attention. Instead Clark joins three different media programs and now has turned this small issue into something that is blowing up on any Steelers fans Twitter feed.

All of these comments should have been kept within Steelers facilities and the fact that they have all been made public is making this rift in the Steelers locker room look worse and worse. It’s time for the leaders on this team to step up and put a lid on this. Keeping it in the media and doing an NFL program tour, like Clark is doing, is only making things look worse.

Clark should be a leader on this team and should know better than to go on national television and talk about a story. How hypocritical is it for him to call out a player for taking something to the media and not keeping it within the team by calling that player out on a bigger media spectrum? C’mon Clark you’re better than that now get this thing under wraps and have some internal discussions. The last thing this team needs is distractions following an 8-8 season.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/comments_on_lamarr_woodley_and_now_ryan_clarks_com ments_should_have_all_been_kept_behind_closed_door s/12943852

VaDave
02-19-2013, 08:44 AM
I think Ryan Clark is showing leadership by putting his name on his comments about speaking anonymously about a teammate. He is leading by making his statement about the unnamed player taking a shot at a teammate in the press. We don't have a clue if what the unnamed player said is true. For all we know, Woodley might have intentionally put on weight thinking it would help him get a better bull rush. We literally don't know. It doesn't mean the guy sat around eating Twinkies, Krispy Kreme donuts, and Snickers bars while watching tv all day. All I'm saying is, he's done enough in his career that I'm willing to give the guy the benefit of the doubt. Let's see what he does this year. I have a feeling he'll be back strong.

I assure you that adding about 40lb since his draft, is not all muscle. I'll agree he had room for some growth in the the 10 to 15lb range when he came in. What he's got is lot of load.

Keep in mind, Harrison, at about 60lbs lighter, is the guy getting all the double teams, and the offense's best lineman. NFL teams run most of their time at Woodley's side, yet Harrison is doubling Woodley's tackling production. The ZBS that offenses are throwing at Woodley, and Hood are ripping them a new one play in and play out.

Next year, the next time they have to defend one, notice how easily Woodley is shoved outside the numbers, with Hood being shoved almost to the numbers. Two classic examples from last year, The KC game, and the 1st Bengal game's opening drive. Further proof? Try the 2011 opener vs Baltimore.

Atlanta Dan
02-19-2013, 09:41 AM
2013 Steelers Mock Draft:

1) Jarvis Jones OLB Georgia

Good luck with Jarvis Jones being around when the Steelers pick - when healthy he is a beast - IMO top 5 pick

steelfury02
02-19-2013, 09:48 AM
Good luck with Jarvis Jones being around when the Steelers pick - when healthy he is a beast - IMO top 5 pick

from what I've been reading - we'd be pretty lucky - I would be interested to see if a move is made that is a shot across some of the fat cats' bows - sometimes the best is brought out of the vets when they have someone breathing down their necks

Can't wait!

VaDave
02-19-2013, 10:22 AM
What will get Lamars attention is if we don't restructure him this offseason. The message here is we are not going to keep him @ his current comp at the level he's been playing. . If he is cut, we save a ton of cap space we could use to shore up other positions Don't think for a minute that will escape his notice if we don't restructure his contract. If we do restructure him, he knows his job is safe for the next two years regardless of what he does on the field.

sloppyjoe
02-19-2013, 02:55 PM
Come on, I'm just making fun of his trite sayings. I've posted before that I think he's a perfectly good NFL coach, probably B/C+, top third perhaps. With a great organization he's perfectly capable of great things, and I'm happy to have him here.

But I'm not gonna close my eyes and blindly worship anything wearing a Steelers logo, either.

then you're not a real fan and should root for another team

WokeUpWithaWoodley
02-19-2013, 03:35 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/02/video-steelers-lamarr-woodley-guy-code-football-injuries/

Two videos with Woodley from h MTV show guy code.

First one talks about his injury. Most of you need to watch it because he is dead on.

steelfury02
02-19-2013, 05:10 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/02/video-steelers-lamarr-woodley-guy-code-football-injuries/

Two videos with Woodley from h MTV show guy code.

First one talks about his injury. Most of you need to watch it because he is dead on.

everyone is crazy but him? I love Woodley - but, what I'm seeing on TV and what coaches and players are saying seem to start matching and adding up.

sorry - still not buying it - of course he is going to say that. the whole point is that the injuries have been noted to be preventable - his coach has come out and expects more out of him and now players are coming out saying the same thing

were you looking for a video where he said "you're right - I've been slacking" ?

WokeUpWithaWoodley
02-19-2013, 05:13 PM
everyone is crazy but him? I love Woodley - but, what I'm seeing on TV and what coaches and players are saying seem to start matching and adding up.

sorry - still not buying it - of course he is going to say that. the whole point is that the injuries have been noted to be preventable - his coach has come out and expects more out of him and now players are coming out saying the same thing

were you looking for a video where he said "you're right - I've been slacking" ?

No injury is preventable. It's the name of the game.

steelfury02
02-19-2013, 05:30 PM
No injury is preventable. It's the name of the game.

if you aren't stretching - you can injure your hamstring

if you are out of shape, obese around your mid-section - you can have severe back problems because of it

if you're playing professional football, and you weigh as much as Woodley does, and take the pounding that Woodley does, and you have his own coach saying he could be doing more, along with players seeing it - his injuries sound like they are in part do to lack of focus and commitment

I don't know Woodley or any of the coaches or players, but some injuries are preventable or, at the very least - you are increasing/decreasing your chances by doing/not doing what you're supposed to

tanda10506
02-19-2013, 06:13 PM
Agreed steelfury, if your out of shape you'll get muscle pulls and tears. These are the things that irritate me. It's not losing or the salary cap (although they do too) but mainly it's the players not giving a rat's ass. There is no reason that anybody with a 9-5 job should be in better shape then an NFL LB. Woodley has lost visible muscle mass too. I don't care what part of the season it is, working out should be considered part of your job as an NFL player, especially a Steeler LB.

Steel Peon
02-19-2013, 06:47 PM
So, maybe not cut him, which would be ugly and barely worth shit, rather HE should be the one restructuring his contract, if that would even help. You'll have to forgive me, I really don't know a whole lot about salary cap logistics, or how contract restructuring works, I just know who's good, bad, or ugly.......and Lamarr has been looking like the latter 2.

Fire Haley
02-19-2013, 11:33 PM
Woodley sucked pure and simple. And he was fat. He regressed big time..

Exactly - I had him pegged at 260+ early in the year but all the kool-aid drinking homers here vigorously disputed that and said and he had LOST weight

6 year, $61.5 million deal.....yep, he took his big paycheck and got fat and lazy

Riddle_Of_Steel
02-19-2013, 11:48 PM
According to the reports out today, Woodley has already started his offseason workout down in Arizona.

As silly as it sounds-- I do think the NFL players read these message boards and react to what is said about them. Come on-- with the egos these guys have, you don't think they are on the web reading what everyone is saying about them? I know I probably would-- jsut for curiousity's sake if nothing else.

I am sure everytime he pushes that bar up towards the ceiling, he is replaying that "he was barely on the field at all" comment in his head. Expect Woodley to have a big year this coming season....

Hawaii 5-0
02-20-2013, 01:46 AM
Larry Foote: Woodley criticism broke the code

Posted by Josh Alper on February 19, 2013

On Monday, we heard Steelers safety Ryan Clark say that criticisms of linebacker LaMarr Woodley’s work ethic from an anonymous teammate showed a “fracture” within the Steelers locker room.

Another veteran defensive player chimed in on Tuesday and agreed with Clark’s sentiment. Linebacker Larry Foote said he thought that blasting another member of the team publicly deviated from the way that the Steelers have conducted their business for a long time and wondered if the quote — “He was awful. He tells us he works out, but we didn’t see it. He wasn’t in shape. That has to be a reason why he was always hurt.” – actually came from one of the team’s coaches.

That fits with another more general report that the Steelers want to see Woodley work harder this offseason and would fit better with Foote’s notion that Steelers players don’t slam one another publicly.

“I mean there have been fights in the locker room, there’s been stuff on the airplane that never got out and that’s the Steeler way,” Foote said on 93.7 The Fan, via SteelersDepot.com. “So I’ll be very surprised if a player really did that and hopefully his name don’t come up, or if he was, he’s one of the players that’s no longer here. I mean, you’re breaking the code when you do that. You’re breaking the code.”

Foote said he thinks Woodley will rebound in 2013, although it’s up in the air whether Foote will be around to see it. He’s an unrestricted free agent this offseason and may not return to a Steeler team that’s said goodbye to several veterans in recent years. If he does go, it will be up to Clark and others to make sure the Steeler way continues to be one they think is worthy of the franchise.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/19/larry-foote-woodley-criticism-broke-the-code/

Steeldude
02-20-2013, 07:26 AM
I remember Woodley disappearing many times when he was healthy.

The_Joker
02-20-2013, 07:35 AM
If Woodley doesn't shore up the OLB spot, we're fucked. Timmons and Harrison are awesome, but we NEED Woodley to step up. 2/4 LB's playing top notch won't cut it.

VaDave
02-20-2013, 07:48 AM
Exactly - I had him pegged at 260+ early in the year but all the kool-aid drinking homers here vigorously disputed that and said and he had LOST weight

6 year, $61.5 million deal.....yep, he took his big paycheck and got fat and lazy

He was 260 coming out of college, last couple of years he's been roumored to be in the 290 range.

My thought is he needs to be a June cap hit, gamble on the likely hood he doesn't get an offer at his current salary, which wouldn't schock the crap out of me. Then bring him back on a market value two yr contract non- guaranteed, in the 4-6 mil per yr range. Then we use the cap savings to land some decent FA talent to fill in holes. And brother do we have holes.

Also, repeat this process with Colon. Actually, we should have done this LAST year with Colon.......

The_Joker
02-20-2013, 07:51 AM
He was 260 coming out of college, last couple of years he's been roumored to be in the 290 range.

My thought is he needs to be a June cap hit, gamble on the likely hood he doesn't get an offer at his current salary, which wouldn't schock the crap out of me. Then bring him back on a market value two yr contract non- guaranteed, in the 4-6 mil per yr range. Then we use the cap savings to land some decent FA talent to fill in holes. And brother do we have holes.

Also, repeat this process with Colon. Actually, we should have done this LAST year with Colon.......

Why with Colon? Unlike Woodley, Colon is replaceable (Foster).

VaDave
02-20-2013, 07:54 AM
If Woodley doesn't shore up the OLB spot, we're fucked. Timmons and Harrison are awesome, but we NEED Woodley to step up. 2/4 LB's playing top notch won't cut it.

Oh, don't get me wrong here, we DO need Woodley to shore up that spot. The problem is, he isn't shoring up much of anything, although he does on occasion come up with a clutch play now and again. When you focus on him, play in and play out, game in and game out, he really does a lot of nothing.

That said, when he sets his mind to, he is a beast. Unfortunately, that isn't often enough, not even close to often enough, to warrant a $61 million dollar contract. The size of which is hamstringing us from landing the talent we need elsewhere. JMO.

VaDave
02-20-2013, 08:01 AM
Why with Colon? Unlike Woodley, Colon is replaceable (Foster).

Sure, but at a MUCH lower salary as a bench warmer, you got some positional flexibility, a guy that already knows the system. More subjectively, he is a good lockeroom guy, is Ben's best friend on the team, and would be great practice fodder to help hone our DL.

My only problem with him is he's overpaid. OK, so he needs to drop one or two pounds.... and if he did, he'd probably stay on the field, instead of his annual landing on the IR list.

VaDave
02-20-2013, 08:07 AM
Foster is not a replacement for anybody. Foster, if nothing else, is a mind numbingly medioccur talent, with exactly zero upside, slower than a..... Colon!!!! Dang, you could eat lunch waiting for either one of those two finishing a 40 yard sprint......

pete74
02-20-2013, 08:07 AM
then you're not a real fan and should root for another team

Now this is a dumb comment. Do you really believe that? So if you disagree with anything Obama or George Bush have said or done then your not a real American and should root for North Korea

Atlanta Dan
02-20-2013, 08:44 AM
Another veteran defensive player chimed in on Tuesday and agreed with Clark’s sentiment. Linebacker Larry Foote said he thought that blasting another member of the team publicly deviated from the way that the Steelers have conducted their business for a long time and wondered if the quote — “He was awful. He tells us he works out, but we didn’t see it. He wasn’t in shape. That has to be a reason why he was always hurt.” – actually came from one of the team’s coaches..

Well that will certainly make everything better as the Steelers form a circular firing squad and now have players blaming coaches for calling out Woodley - sounds like Foote might have some issues with Butler since all the players worship LeBeau and Tomlin certainly would not be leaking to Ron Cook

I doubt Ron Cook would cover for a coach by attributing the quote to a player

VaDave
02-20-2013, 10:48 AM
While we are at it, it could be that Cook cooked it up all by himself......

even if a player told him his opinion on the QT, Cook should have kept it to himself. The only enity to gain from this story being published is the the paper. It certainly isn't going to drive Woodley to be a workout warrior, or Steeler team inter personel relations, or the player, or coach that said it.

FrancoLambert
02-20-2013, 06:56 PM
According to the reports out today, Woodley has already started his offseason workout down in Arizona.

As silly as it sounds-- I do think the NFL players read these message boards and react to what is said about them. Come on-- with the egos these guys have, you don't think they are on the web reading what everyone is saying about them? I know I probably would-- jsut for curiousity's sake if nothing else.

I am sure everytime he pushes that bar up towards the ceiling, he is replaying that "he was barely on the field at all" comment in his head. Expect Woodley to have a big year this coming season....

I hope you are right and if so:

Ben sucks, Pouncey sucks, our RB's suck, our OL sucks, our LB's suck........:sofunny:

The_Joker
02-21-2013, 05:23 AM
Now this is a dumb comment. Do you really believe that? So if you disagree with anything Obama or George Bush have said or done then your not a real American and should root for North Korea

Yup. I disagree with Obama sometimes and I'm a Democrat. I also disagree with the Steelers management sometimes, doesn't mean I'm a Ravens fan.

Fine line between Disloyalty and Disagreement.

IowaSteeler927
02-21-2013, 07:49 AM
it was obvious, but not necessarily obvious to Woodley. I can't remember what article it was in, but Woodley seemed to think he played great football all year. This might come as quite a shock to him.

Hopefully it will give him the motivation he needs to go out and tear things up next year.

I hope so too. Woodley needs to step it up. I thought he looked out of shape in 2012, perhaps it's just me but I swear he had a bit of a belly going on. Needs to step up his game and live up to his contract. It's like the coaches have said about him in the past, he has the talent, and the ability to be great but he has yet to fully realize it.

VaDave
02-21-2013, 09:45 AM
Even though he started out 2011 like a house a fire, he was little tubby then too, and may have been the reason for the hammie issue.

teegre
02-21-2013, 11:11 AM
Yup. I disagree with Obama sometimes and I'm a Democrat. I also disagree with the Steelers management sometimes, doesn't mean I'm a Ravens fan.

I don't always agree with the Khmer Rouge, but... arghh... arghhhh... hmmmphhh.

GoFor7
02-21-2013, 03:29 PM

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! yinz ain't a real stiller fan! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! DA STILLERZ IZ ALWAYS RIGHT! IT DON'T EVEN MATTER WHAT DA RECORD WAS LAST YEAR CUZ DA STILLERZ IZ ALWAYS RIGHT!

teegre
02-21-2013, 04:30 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! yinz ain't a real stiller fan! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! DA STILLERZ IZ ALWAYS RIGHT! IT DON'T EVEN MATTER WHAT DA RECORD WAS LAST YEAR CUZ DA STILLERZ IZ ALWAYS RIGHT!

What?

While I rarely agreed with you, at least you used to make sense.

harrison'samonster
02-21-2013, 04:41 PM
What?

While I rarely agreed with you, at least you used to make sense.

you don't think that makes sense Teegre? Seemed like a perfectly cromulent argument to me.

teegre
02-21-2013, 04:44 PM
you don't think that makes sense Teegre? Seemed like a perfectly cromulent argument to me.

Ha, ha, ha... OMG... nicely played!!!

(Will this thread turn into another Simpsons thread???)

VaDave
02-21-2013, 04:53 PM
OJ???

harrison'samonster
02-21-2013, 05:20 PM
OJ???

he was so good as Nordberg. wonder if he's found those killers yet.

Lady Steel
02-22-2013, 01:17 AM
Woodley is always posting crap on Facebook. The next time he does it, I'm going to tell him to get his fat ass into the gym. :laughing:

VaDave
02-22-2013, 10:04 AM
Woodley is always posting crap on Facebook. The next time he does it, I'm going to tell him to get his fat ass into the gym. :laughing:

That is halarious.....LOL!!!

Hawaii 5-0
02-24-2013, 01:19 PM
On the Steelers: A tricky situation in Steelers locker room

February 24, 2013
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Quarterback Bubby Brister surveyed the turmoil around him during one particularly bad Steelers season more than two decades ago and proclaimed, "I'm about to come unglued!" • That statement might aptly fit what's going on with the Steelers today. Never has one anonymous comment by one player critiquing another prompted so much soul-searching, counterattacks and new revelations of the failed 2012 season that was the 8-8 Steelers.

• • • •

Even general manager Kevin Colbert got into the act Thursday, both defending LaMarr Woodley after his worst NFL season and saying he was bothered by the fact that his accuser's comments were anonymous. Would the GM have preferred a player say the same thing and put his name behind it?

For the two or three of you who may have missed it, here is what the anonymous player told Ron Cook in his Sunday Post-Gazette column about Woodley's 2012 season:

"He was awful. He tells us he works out, but we didn't see it. He wasn't in shape. That has to be a reason why he was always hurt."

No player has countered the point made by Mr. Anonymous, just that it was said and said anonymously. The reaction has yielded two unintended consequences: Sympathy for Woodley on the occasion of his poor season -- one, Colbert said, that even Woodley would acknowledge he had -- and revelations that the Steelers players were seemingly at war with each other during the 2012 season.

What did Ryan Clark call it? Oh, yes, a "fracture" of the previously close-knit Steelers locker room. Larry Foote believes whoever said it broke a code, and then he suggested the comment could have come from a coach -- maybe one of those who bailed out for jobs at lesser organizations, such as Duke, UTEP and the Arizona Cardinals?

But it was Antonio Brown, voted the team's MVP in 2011, who really opened the window into the disharmony that was apparently prevalent on the 2012 Steelers.

"Our team was a team last year where guys wasn't really together," Brown told ESPN Wednesday. "As we know in the NFL, you got to have a band of brothers. Everyone got to be together and it got to filter down from the leadership."

Brown even suggested that other teammates agreed with the anonymous comments.

"Then other guys supporting it ... It goes to show you that we wasn't a team in 2012. So some of the things we got to iron out and we're looking to get those things corrected."

That may not be so simple. The leadership drain that began a year ago will continue here shortly when the Steelers do not re-sign some long-standing veterans and release some others. Those kinds of moves, while perhaps necessary, will not improve the locker room kumbayah. It may make it only worse.

On ESPN's "SportsCenter," Brown said the Steelers were different in his third season than in his first two.
"Guys weren't really together," Brown said.

Perhaps the losses of Hines Ward, James Farrior, Aaron Smith, Chris Hoke, Bryant McFadden and special teams captain Arnaz Battle had something to do with that.

Brown said on "SportsCenter," via ProFootballTalk.com, that Troy Polamalu, among other veterans, told the team that selfish behavior would not be tolerated, yet it continued.

"That's when you know you've got issues and you've got to come together as a team," Brown said. "Because the reality of a team game is everyone on the same page, committed to the same thing, dedicated for one goal, and that's winning."

Some point to Brown and the Steelers Young Money wide receivers crew as the center of the problem. They were selfish in 2012, we've been told, and without Ward and a strong coaching hand, they were allowed to do their own thing, causing some "fractures."

Maybe not coincidentally, young wide receivers coach Scottie Montgomery quit after the season to take an assistant's job at Duke.

The Steelers have lost four assistant coaches since the preseason -- one fired by Mike Tomlin in August and three others leaving, presumably, on their own.

Had the Steelers pulled out a few more of those three-point losses and made the playoffs, nobody would be talking about their "fractured" locker room, which probably did not occur until after they ran out to that 6-3 record through nine games.

A reminder that the NFL is a business

Soon, the Steelers will release more veterans and one of those could be Willie Colon. If so, it would show again the one-way street that is an NFL contract.

Colon turned down better money from the Chicago Bears to re-sign with the Steelers in 2011 for five years and $29 million. He's due $3.5 million in 2013 on a contract that still has three years left.

There has been no dialogue between the Steelers and Colon's agent, Joe Linta, to possibly reduce his salary. They would owe him nothing if they release him but a drop-in-the-bucket injury settlement if he does not pass a physical because of the left knee injury that put him on IR Dec. 18.

The contract theory doesn't make sense

LaMarr Woodley did not go from one of the best pass-rushing outside linebackers in the league to underperformer simply because he signed a big contract in 2011 worth $61.5 million over six years, as some suggest.

He signed that contract in August 2011, not long after the owners' lockout ended and training camps opened. He then went on to become one of the NFL's best pass rushers through the first half of the 2011 season with nine sacks through eight games. Hamstring injuries ruined the second half of that season and he did not have another sack.

Had he not been in shape entering the 2011 season, wouldn't the hamstring issue have developed earlier rather than at midseason?

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/on-the-steelers-a-tricky-situation-in-steelers-locker-room-676642/#ixzz2Lq1rj7aq

harrison'samonster
02-24-2013, 02:43 PM
oddly enough, Colbert has said that he and Tomlin saw no real problems in the locker-room. Is that believable? Colbert has said that in the exit interviews every player was fine and didn't say anything about these issues. Well, now Tomlin knows about it and I expect him to work at correcting the problems.

This season is going to be a big test for him.

jrompola
02-25-2013, 04:37 PM

He posts like twice a day. It'd be nice if he posted his workout schedule and what he's doing to prepare for next season rather than the dumb sh!t he does post.

I'm thinking of inviting his lazy a$$ to my p90x challenge group.

FrancoLambert
02-25-2013, 05:49 PM
C'mon Guys,

Give Woodley a break. He's entitled to using the social media at his disposal.

It's very important that we know "how many pancakes he ate for breakfast," or when he's "gotta take a shit."

That's far more important than working on your body and getting those hammies into tip-top shape.

:sarcalert:

VaDave
02-26-2013, 07:40 AM
On the Steelers: A tricky situation in Steelers locker room

February 24, 2013
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Quarterback Bubby Brister surveyed the turmoil around him during one particularly bad Steelers season more than two decades ago and proclaimed, "I'm about to come unglued!" • That statement might aptly fit what's going on with the Steelers today. Never has one anonymous comment by one player critiquing another prompted so much soul-searching, counterattacks and new revelations of the failed 2012 season that was the 8-8 Steelers.

• • • •

Even general manager Kevin Colbert got into the act Thursday, both defending LaMarr Woodley after his worst NFL season and saying he was bothered by the fact that his accuser's comments were anonymous. Would the GM have preferred a player say the same thing and put his name behind it?

For the two or three of you who may have missed it, here is what the anonymous player told Ron Cook in his Sunday Post-Gazette column about Woodley's 2012 season:

"He was awful. He tells us he works out, but we didn't see it. He wasn't in shape. That has to be a reason why he was always hurt."

No player has countered the point made by Mr. Anonymous, just that it was said and said anonymously. The reaction has yielded two unintended consequences: Sympathy for Woodley on the occasion of his poor season -- one, Colbert said, that even Woodley would acknowledge he had -- and revelations that the Steelers players were seemingly at war with each other during the 2012 season.

What did Ryan Clark call it? Oh, yes, a "fracture" of the previously close-knit Steelers locker room. Larry Foote believes whoever said it broke a code, and then he suggested the comment could have come from a coach -- maybe one of those who bailed out for jobs at lesser organizations, such as Duke, UTEP and the Arizona Cardinals?

But it was Antonio Brown, voted the team's MVP in 2011, who really opened the window into the disharmony that was apparently prevalent on the 2012 Steelers.

"Our team was a team last year where guys wasn't really together," Brown told ESPN Wednesday. "As we know in the NFL, you got to have a band of brothers. Everyone got to be together and it got to filter down from the leadership."

Brown even suggested that other teammates agreed with the anonymous comments.

"Then other guys supporting it ... It goes to show you that we wasn't a team in 2012. So some of the things we got to iron out and we're looking to get those things corrected."

That may not be so simple. The leadership drain that began a year ago will continue here shortly when the Steelers do not re-sign some long-standing veterans and release some others. Those kinds of moves, while perhaps necessary, will not improve the locker room kumbayah. It may make it only worse.

On ESPN's "SportsCenter," Brown said the Steelers were different in his third season than in his first two.
"Guys weren't really together," Brown said.

Perhaps the losses of Hines Ward, James Farrior, Aaron Smith, Chris Hoke, Bryant McFadden and special teams captain Arnaz Battle had something to do with that.

Brown said on "SportsCenter," via ProFootballTalk.com, that Troy Polamalu, among other veterans, told the team that selfish behavior would not be tolerated, yet it continued.

"That's when you know you've got issues and you've got to come together as a team," Brown said. "Because the reality of a team game is everyone on the same page, committed to the same thing, dedicated for one goal, and that's winning."

Some point to Brown and the Steelers Young Money wide receivers crew as the center of the problem. They were selfish in 2012, we've been told, and without Ward and a strong coaching hand, they were allowed to do their own thing, causing some "fractures."

Maybe not coincidentally, young wide receivers coach Scottie Montgomery quit after the season to take an assistant's job at Duke.

The Steelers have lost four assistant coaches since the preseason -- one fired by Mike Tomlin in August and three others leaving, presumably, on their own.

Had the Steelers pulled out a few more of those three-point losses and made the playoffs, nobody would be talking about their "fractured" locker room, which probably did not occur until after they ran out to that 6-3 record through nine games.

A reminder that the NFL is a business

Soon, the Steelers will release more veterans and one of those could be Willie Colon. If so, it would show again the one-way street that is an NFL contract.

Colon turned down better money from the Chicago Bears to re-sign with the Steelers in 2011 for five years and $29 million. He's due $3.5 million in 2013 on a contract that still has three years left.

There has been no dialogue between the Steelers and Colon's agent, Joe Linta, to possibly reduce his salary. They would owe him nothing if they release him but a drop-in-the-bucket injury settlement if he does not pass a physical because of the left knee injury that put him on IR Dec. 18.

The contract theory doesn't make sense

LaMarr Woodley did not go from one of the best pass-rushing outside linebackers in the league to underperformer simply because he signed a big contract in 2011 worth $61.5 million over six years, as some suggest.

He signed that contract in August 2011, not long after the owners' lockout ended and training camps opened. He then went on to become one of the NFL's best pass rushers through the first half of the 2011 season with nine sacks through eight games. Hamstring injuries ruined the second half of that season and he did not have another sack.

Had he not been in shape entering the 2011 season, wouldn't the hamstring issue have developed earlier rather than at midseason?

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/on-the-steelers-a-tricky-situation-in-steelers-locker-room-676642/#ixzz2Lq1rj7aq

Just for the record. With regard for Woodley's "Astounding" 1st half of 2011 when he averaged slightly more than one sack a game, his career average prior to the mega contract signing was just a shade over .75 sacks a game. Considering it was not a huge improvement, and a realtively short sample to draw a conclusion of a "monster" year ( like teams we're going to game plan around him when Harrison went down?), it's still shows he was grossly overpaid .

I'm not saying that his hammie didn't blow out in 2011, what is still obvious to most is Mr. Woodley had his eyes opened when that tendon went, came to the realization that $60 million in earning potential could go up in smoke if he had a career ending injury. He's been playing like it ever since regardless of what the author says. His play on film doesn't lie.