PDA

View Full Version : Ed: Foote Says Steelers Talking New Contract With Him

Galax Steeler
02-19-2013, 05:12 PM
Larry Foote said today that the Steelers and his agent have been talking about a new contract for the 2013 season. Foote, who turns 33 in June, was the Steelers second leading tackler from his inside linebacker position in 2012, starting all 16 games. He also calls the signals for the defense. “Yeah,’’ Foote said on the 93.7 FM Morning Show in Pittsburgh today, “[the Steelers] and my agent have been talking back and forth. I guess it’s a money thing right now.’’ If so, Foote would become the first known unrestricted free agent to be in contract negotiations with the Steelers, who have indicated privately that they would like to have him back. Foote has played 11 seasons in the NFL, 10 of them with the Steelers, who drafted him in the fourth round in 2002 from Michigan. He played one season with the Detroit Lions, in 2010 after asking the Steelers to let him out of his contract. He signed back with them as a free agent in 2011 and returned to the starting lineup last season after they cut longtime starter James Farrior. Footed moved into the starting lineup in 2004 and remained there next to Farrior until his departure in 2010. Foote has said he would play for the Steelers or no one else in 2013. “I m just like a regular free agent,’’ Foote, who could not be reached for additional comment, told The Fan. “I’ll know sometime in March what my future will be.”

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/119935-ed-foote-says-steelers-talking-new-contract-with-him

SteelersCanada
02-19-2013, 05:26 PM
Well, this isn't good news.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-19-2013, 05:32 PM
I can only hope he is veteran backup insurance and Sean Spence will be healthy enough to compete for a starting job. Or, hopefully we still find a starter in the draft. Foote is and should be merely a backup in today's NFL.

FrancoLambert
02-19-2013, 05:35 PM
Red Flag?

Spence's rehab isn't going all that well?

tanda10506
02-19-2013, 06:01 PM
Foote was our leading tackler and Spence has zero NFL regular season experience. I know we all want to see fresh faces and get younger, myself included, but we need a MLB until Spence is up to full speed and has NFL experience.

StainlessStill
02-19-2013, 06:11 PM
Are you people nuts? In my opinion, this is some great news. In a mold to where we are very thin at linebacker as it is and in definite need of a veteran voice, middle linebacker is our thinnest and not only does Foote know our defense inside and out, he's our signal caller and a swiftly maneuverer in our blitzing schemes. We lose Foote and we're worse off as it is on defense. There is NOBODY to replace him. This is going to be one of the better one year extensions this off-season.

harrison'samonster
02-19-2013, 06:11 PM
Foote was our leading tackler and Spence has zero NFL regular season experience. I know we all want to see fresh faces and get younger, myself included, but we need a MLB until Spence is up to full speed and has NFL experience.

I agree. Although many won't like to hear this news. Foote is a safe and smart investment, just not sure how much they will offer him.

steeltheone
02-19-2013, 06:26 PM
I figured Larry would be back. Where else was he going to go? Solid player, good team guy.

Steel Peon
02-19-2013, 06:32 PM
Also, as I've found out recently, Foote is a pretty smart and well spoken dude, now that he's in a leadership role and is called upon more frequently in speaking directly to the press. I have no problems with Larry returning for at least one more year.

AgentGold007
02-19-2013, 06:35 PM
They should should see how the draft plays out before they decide to do this. I doubt there will be very many teams knocking down the door to get Larry Foote.

Justp94
02-19-2013, 06:50 PM
They should should see how the draft plays out before they decide to do this. I doubt there will be very many teams knocking down the door to get Larry Foote.

Or we could not have to worry about the Inside Linebacker position until next year's draft and focus on a Pass Rusher, Playmakers on offense, and back up safeties.

SteelersCanada
02-19-2013, 06:53 PM
This kind of mentality has to change. Did Foote really have a good season? Look past the stats - he's slowing Timmons down. He's forcing Timmons to play two positions on the inside because Foote is too slow to cover effectively. So, he's put into a role to blitz and disrupt which he can't do very well, either. He's forcing the teams hand here and Timmons is, again, playing both inside positions.

How about we draft someone that isn't 32 and can cover and blitz effectively which would do two things: it lets Timmons finally play the position he was drafted to do and, in turn, would give a significant boost to the pass rush.

We have to change this mentality of being loyal to guys that aren't effective. I don't put a lot of stock into the 'tackle' stat - Ray Lewis had 44 tackles heading into the Super Bowl and was utterly useless on the field. Remember him trying to cover Vernon Davis? It was embarrassing. Foote's game is similar - he can't cover and he can't disrupt because he's too old to contribute consistently.

Time to head for greener pastures, Larry.

harrison'samonster
02-19-2013, 07:08 PM
Red Flag?

Spence's rehab isn't going all that well?

i haven't heard anything official on how Spence's rehab is going. All I've ever heard from Tomlin is something along the lines of "We'll have to wait and see what he's like when he gets back on the football field." Which I'll admit doesn't sound too promising. I'm holding out hope though, it would be nice to be able to focus on other issues in the draft.

harrison'samonster
02-19-2013, 07:24 PM
This kind of mentality has to change. Did Foote really have a good season? Look past the stats - he's slowing Timmons down. He's forcing Timmons to play two positions on the inside because Foote is too slow to cover effectively. So, he's put into a role to blitz and disrupt which he can't do very well, either. He's forcing the teams hand here and Timmons is, again, playing both inside positions.

How about we draft someone that isn't 32 and can cover and blitz effectively which would do two things: it lets Timmons finally play the position he was drafted to do and, in turn, would give a significant boost to the pass rush.

We have to change this mentality of being loyal to guys that aren't effective. I don't put a lot of stock into the 'tackle' stat - Ray Lewis had 44 tackles heading into the Super Bowl and was utterly useless on the field. Remember him trying to cover Vernon Davis? It was embarrassing. Foote's game is similar - he can't cover and he can't disrupt because he's too old to contribute consistently.

Time to head for greener pastures, Larry.

The team will do what they see is best, I can't hold anything against Foote if they want him back.

The_Joker
02-19-2013, 07:34 PM
Oh brother... wasted cash.

Love ya Foote but your time is up. Other vets deserve to stay (Keisel, Harrison, Troy). You, unfortunately, do not.

harrison'samonster
02-19-2013, 07:51 PM

Love ya Foote but your time is up. Other vets deserve to stay (Keisel, Harrison, Troy). You, unfortunately, do not.

depends how much they are giving him and what role they intend to use him in. He is a big part of the D. He contributed more than Polamalu this past season and is earning less.

teegre
02-19-2013, 08:08 PM
Argh!!! Use that money for Keenan Lewis.

I know that Spence's recovery is not guaranteed... but... if Lewis leaves, I'll be angered.

harrison'samonster
02-19-2013, 08:10 PM
Argh!!! Use that money for Keenan Lewis.

I know that Spence's recovery is not guaranteed... but... if Lewis leaves, I'll be angered.

I would agree that Lewis is more important than resigning Foote. Lewis didn't just have a few good games, he was solid all season. The way he played wasn't a fluke either, the guy is going to be solid. I would rather have him here the rest of his career than look for a possible replacement for Ike before too long.

teegre
02-19-2013, 08:19 PM
I would agree that Lewis is more important than resigning Foote. Lewis didn't just have a few good games, he was solid all season. The way he played wasn't a fluke either, the guy is going to be solid. I would rather have him here the rest of his career than look for a possible replacement for Ike before too long.

Exactly. Here are the two worst-cases scenarios for signing Foote versus signing Lewis.

SIGN LEWIS
Draft an ILB... hope for the best. Have a great CB.

SIGN FOOTE
Draft a CB (the toughest position to fill, besides QB)... hope for the best. Have an average & old ILB.

SUMMATION
Signing Lewis makes so much more sense.

tony hipchest
02-19-2013, 08:26 PM
Also, as I've found out recently, Foote is a pretty smart and well spoken dude, now that he's in a leadership role and is called upon more frequently in speaking directly to the press. I have no problems with Larry returning for at least one more year.

a proven, elderly veteran, who is affordable and is more than capable to step in, do the job and lead, if called upon in a pinch.

he is like the steelers defensive Joe Biden! :chuckle:

(lets see how this post goes over) :muhaha:

harrison'samonster
02-19-2013, 08:28 PM
Foote/Biden Rules! Four more years!

dave n'at
02-19-2013, 08:41 PM

He contributed more than all 3 of those players combined, I don't know what the hell games most of the people in this thread were watching but Foote was probably the 2nd best player on our entire defense last year after Timmons. Truth be told I'd rather have him back more than Harrison, Polamalu, and Keisel combined. I love all three of these guys but if you wanna talk about a players time being up, all 3 of the players you mentioned need to be in the conversation. Not to mention they cost an entire shitload more money to keep on the field, or in the case of Harrison and Troy, on the sideline nursing injuries. Bring back Foote, drop the has-beens. Like I said, I love all three of these guys and greatly appreciate their contributions over the years but this paying 10mil a year for guys to sit on the sidelines for more than half of the season and not performing when they actually do play has to stop. If nothing else, at least Foote stays healthy.

teegre
02-19-2013, 09:06 PM
Foote/Biden Rules! Four more years!

Sylvester-Nader... uh... oh crap.

harrison'samonster
02-19-2013, 09:12 PM
acutally I'd love to see a Ron Paul and Dennis Kucinich team roaming the middle of our field over the next few years. That combo would be hard to beat.

they may be undersized, but pound for pound you couldn't ask for more.

teegre
02-19-2013, 09:38 PM
acutally I'd love to see a Ron Paul and Dennis Kucinich team roaming the middle of our field over the next few years. That combo would be hard to beat.

they may be undersized, but pound for pound you couldn't ask for more.

Mitt Romney versus the dog pound in Cleveland!!!

It screams MNF.

austinfrench76
02-19-2013, 10:28 PM
Do we eevn have a choice? We need him because no one else knows the defense the way he and Timmons does enough to be out ILB.

Riddle_Of_Steel
02-19-2013, 11:44 PM
a proven, elderly veteran, who is affordable and is more than capable to step in, do the job and lead, if called upon in a pinch.

he is like the steelers defensive Joe Biden! :chuckle:

(lets see how this post goes over) :muhaha:

EXACTLY.

I have never understood the hatred that Larry Foote gets on nearly every Steelers forum I have seen.

He is not the best in coverage, to say the least. But he is a reliable, level-headed veteran leader that adds valuable depth to this team.

Fire Arians
02-20-2013, 01:42 AM
i never understood the foote hate, he's always been one of our most consistent players on defense. maybe he's hated because stillers.com calls him 'larry slow-a-foote' because he's a linebacker that doesn't do the 40 yard dash as fast as rod woodson? *shrug*

dude just plays sounds football and does his job

AgentGold007
02-20-2013, 04:13 AM
Or we could not have to worry about the Inside Linebacker position until next year's draft and focus on a Pass Rusher, Playmakers on offense, and back up safeties.

Foote is a step slower and rapidly declining. He's decent, but it's not like he's an All-Pro. The Steelers don't necessarily have to address the ILB with their first pick, but it should be addressed at some point in time in this draft. Spence is coming off of a serious injury and was iffy to begin with. Sylvester is an underachiever and injury prone, and Foote is on the downward side of his career. Not upgrading that position in this offseason would be a huge mistake.

pete74
02-20-2013, 05:11 AM
We need Foote. Spence may never play again. He had a major knee injury and may never play football again. Who would we start opposite Timmons if Foote leaves?

Steeldude
02-20-2013, 07:29 AM

How about one not named Foote? I don't want to see another year of poor angles; misread plays; poor coverage; waiting for the ball carrier to come to him or seeing him get pushed back by the ball carrier.

The_Joker
02-20-2013, 07:43 AM
How about one not named Foote? I don't want to see another year of poor angles; misread plays; poor coverage; waiting for the ball carrier to come to him or seeing him get pushed back by the ball carrier.

Mhm. Foote has NOT aged as well as others (leave Keisel alone *Chris Crocker impression*)

If Spence didn't freaking die in the preseason, he woulda been awesome. What a shame.

wwhickok
02-20-2013, 09:03 AM

True Story

Steel Peon
02-20-2013, 11:02 AM
he is like the steelers defensive Joe Biden!

Hell yeah! The biggest damn reason I voted for Obama the first time around (and 2nd, I guess) was good 'ole Joe Biden. Here's to Larry Biden, er, I mean Joe Foote, I mean......screw it, go us!:drink::tt03:

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-20-2013, 11:22 AM
We need Foote. Spence may never play again. He had a major knee injury and may never play football again. Who would we start opposite Timmons if Foote leaves?

Bart Scott was released, Jonathan Vilma is a likely cap cut. or just draft somebody. I'm so tired of knowing all the decent ILB's we didnt draft because we chose Jason Worilds with our 2nd round pick. :doh:

Millers the sh!t
02-20-2013, 11:56 AM
Why all the hate? Foote was one if the better players last season. smart, reliable, and has leadership characteristics. Basically the only guy in defense (besides Clark) who showed up all season. I like foote and I always have. Everyone hating cause they wanna see Spence playing. Spence is gonna be a 2-3 year project before he even gets a chance to be a full time starter. He's probably gonna be a bust at that.....anyways.

Here's to another year of a Foote in the mouths of all the haters.

harrison'samonster
02-20-2013, 11:59 AM
Why all the hate? Foote was one if the better players last season. smart, reliable, and has leadership characteristics. Basically the only guy in defense (besides Clark) who showed up all season. I like foote and I always have. Everyone hating cause they wanna see Spence playing. Spence is gonna be a 2-3 year project before he even gets a chance to be a full time starter. He's probably gonna be a bust at that.....anyways.

I agree, I don't understand what people have against Foote. Plus, we don't even know how much they'll be giving him or what his role will be.

wwhickok
02-20-2013, 12:02 PM
Honestly the only thing I have against him is his age. We just keep retaining all the dinosaurs.

teegre
02-20-2013, 12:08 PM

Would you rather have Foote or Lewis?

Because, there's a very limited amount of money to spread around.

Steelers>NFL
02-20-2013, 01:58 PM
I like this signing. He is not flashy or makes a lot of "spalsh" plays as Tomlin likes to call it. He is just steady.
Give him a 2 yr, $6mm deal.

VaDave
02-20-2013, 02:06 PM
Where is that kind of jack coming from? Age 32 is not over the hill, but we do need better play from our buck linebacker. I'm thinking that he may get a two year offer, but 4-6 mil is a little out of the budget range under the circumstances. If he gets 1.5 mill a yr I'll be surprised. But, what do I know anyway.....

teegre
02-20-2013, 02:06 PM
I like this signing. He is not flashy or makes a lot of "spalsh" plays as Tomlin likes to call it. He is just steady.

Veteran minimum is about $950,000. If he is retained ("IF"), I would not pay him a cent more than that.

Again, there isn't much cap space... and, Lewis HAS to he the priority.

AgentGold007
02-20-2013, 02:21 PM
The Steelers need some more playmakers on defense, and Foote's old position is an opportunity for them to add one.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-20-2013, 02:44 PM

Dude, I am a michigan football fan and I know that its time for Larry Foote to be a backup on this team. Not a hater, but a realist.

Watch him in games and not just the stat sheet, then you will see a guy that does not attack the ballcarrier, runs around blockers and takes himself out of the play. He plays like a 11 year veteran, trying to avoid injury and hang on for another 4 more years of paycheck.

Time to let a younger, hungrier, more talented player in that position who wants to make plays and take on blockers, rather than run around them and let them push him out of the way.

LVSteelersfan
02-20-2013, 03:16 PM
Sorry but Larry slow of Foote should be gone or be a backup for vet minimum at best. We need someone who will knock the ball carrier backwards in his tracks and cause fumbles. That is not Foote's thing and he cannot cover a TE to save his soul. This man is just one of the reasons that the Steelers got no TOs last season. Like someone else said earlier, Timmons has to cover both sides of the field to make up for him. He only gets tackles when the front three slow them down for him. He certainly is not the heat seeking missile we need at ILB.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
02-20-2013, 03:23 PM
Frankly he's our best option, knows the defense and cheap. If spence or sly (and a dark horse mortty ivy) have a big camp then I think you see foote be the mentor backup role but as of right now he's our best and really only option.

Free agency won't solve the problem cause we are not likely to do anything and there isn't a draft prospect ready for the job (calling the plays and setting people up and such) which foote does.

Consider him a band aid this year, and I would say its a pretty good band aid for the time being.

Edit: http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/02/steelers-sean-spence-heath-doom-gloom/
Doesn't seem like spence will even be ready this year.

Millers the sh!t
02-20-2013, 05:54 PM

Allen's gonna take Lewis's job. In a year or two.

I'll take Allen and Foote

teegre
02-20-2013, 06:00 PM
Allen's gonna take Lewis's job. In a year or two.

I'll take Allen and Foote

And at the other CB spot...???

I'd prefer Lewis & Allen. The CB spot would be SET for the next seven seasons.

Furthermore, drafting CBs is very difficult. It takes teams numerous picks to land one. With Lewis & Allen, the Steelers could "ignore" the CB position, and draft elsewhere.

Either way, they're going to have to draft an ILB... but, your way, they would ALSO need to draft a CB (which, again, can take several drafts to find one who will pan out(.

The Steelers already have two good ones. Sign Lewis... and use those draft picks on finding an ILB.

Millers the sh!t
02-20-2013, 06:12 PM

2 year $4.75 mill OR 3 yr. 6 mill

tony hipchest
02-20-2013, 06:14 PM
people keep writing off spence. sure his injury was nasty, but looked no worse than willis mcgahee's in his final college game.

A9-KkUH8yt8

teegre
02-20-2013, 06:25 PM
people keep writing off spence. sure his injury was nasty, but looked no worse than willis mcgahee's in his final college game.

A9-KkUH8yt8

Spence doesn't even make the top five injuries that I've seen/lived through.

5. JoeTheisman on MNF
4. McGahee in the NCAACG
3. Tim Krumrie in the SuperBowl
2. Napoleon McCallum on MNF
1. My broken heart during SuperBowl XXX.

SteelersCanada
02-20-2013, 06:26 PM
2 year $4.75 mill OR 3 yr. 6 mill

I don't give him anything more than a 2 year 2 million dollar deal. If he doesn't like it, then he can walk away to another team. Jacksonville, in all likelihood. Why do we want this guy?! He's 32, can't cover and slows Timmons down.

I'm with Teegre - we need every single dime this offseason and signing Keenan Lewis has to be the priority. If we're offering him any contract (something that I'm not even sure I want, by the way) then we're essentially saying that we're more comfortable with Foote than Lewis. There's a ton of Linebackers in this draft that have fallen for multiple reasons that we can get that are all supremely talented and, more importantly, lets Timmons be Timmons.

Don't offer Foote a contract, sign Keenan Lewis and draft an ILB to play with LT.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-20-2013, 07:10 PM

A9-KkUH8yt8

thing that concerns me is that nobody has said anything positive about his rehab. All we hear is pessimism, so it doesnt look good.

Millers the sh!t
02-20-2013, 07:18 PM

A9-KkUH8yt8

I don't think people are writing him off. I think they are just acknowledging that it's gonna be 2-3 years before he's worth a Damn. In 2-3 years from now, half the team will no longer be playing.

As for myself...I believe that Spence will prove to be a bust. I hope to all the higher powers that I am incorrect. I have no research, video etc. to make such a prediction but I just don't think that hell work out in our system the way everyone on this board imagines and predicts. I had high hope for rainy, adams, sweet, and was hoping for A superhuman gronklike ultimate redzone threat in Lyons. I know all players can't be studs but it seems in recent Steelers draft classes none can be studs. Don't even get me started on our d ends and our rb's.

Millers the sh!t
02-20-2013, 07:22 PM
E And at the other CB spot...???

I'd prefer Lewis & Allen. The CB spot would be SET for the next seven seasons.

Furthermore, drafting CBs is very difficult. It takes teams numerous picks to land one. With Lewis & Allen, the Steelers could "ignore" the CB position, and draft elsewhere.

Either way, they're going to have to draft an ILB... but, your way, they would ALSO need to draft a CB (which, again, can take several drafts to find one who will pan out(.

The Steelers already have two good ones. Sign Lewis... and use those draft picks on finding an ILB.

Ike T.

We can find and mold a ILB and replacement for Ike in 3 seasons.

Millers the sh!t
02-20-2013, 07:31 PM
I don't give him anything more than a 2 year 2 million dollar deal. If he doesn't like it, then he can walk away to another team. Jacksonville, in all likelihood. Why do we want this guy?! He's 32, can't cover and slows Timmons down.

I'm with Teegre - we need every single dime this offseason and signing Keenan Lewis has to be the priority. If we're offering him any contract (something that I'm not even sure I want, by the way) then we're essentially saying that we're more comfortable with Foote than Lewis. There's a ton of Linebackers in this draft that have fallen for multiple reasons that we can get that are all supremely talented and, more importantly, lets Timmons be Timmons.

Don't offer Foote a contract, sign Keenan Lewis and draft an ILB to play with LT.

Yeah, I'm hearing ya kid....... Youre convincing me...

teegre
02-20-2013, 07:38 PM
E

Ike T.

We can find and mold a ILB and replacement for Ike in 3 seasons.

Do you REALLY think that Ike has three season left?

The CB position is the hardest position (except for QB) to fill. The current rules make it nearly impossible to play the position.

After Ike, about twelve CBs have been drafted before the Steelers found Lewis & Allen. Why not sign Lewis right now?

Otherwise, if draft history is any indicator, the next three drafts would need to have three or four CBs drafted, just to ensure that the Steelers find what they ALREADY have in Lewis.

Steelers5895
02-20-2013, 08:33 PM
typical of why we are in the situation we are in. we rather have an underproducing, aging, slow player based on convenience then let a young guy with high energy in there and learn by fire.

harrison'samonster
02-20-2013, 10:00 PM
typical of why we are in the situation we are in. we rather have an underproducing, aging, slow player based on convenience then let a young guy with high energy in there and learn by fire.

well sure when you put it that way. On the other hand, Foote was never a superstar. He is an experienced team veteran who stays healthy and calls the plays on D. Sure we could replace him, but don't we have enough spots to fill. They are still negotiating, and we'll see what the Steelers come up with.

jb500ex
02-20-2013, 11:06 PM

Time to head for greener pastures, Larry.lmao so clueless. Timmons struggles to play his position he is not playing two. As a matter of fact play for play foots was better the. Timmons but everyone gets all excited over Timmons 3 good games. They forget his three horrendous o Ed to start the year and he fact foote carried us in hose games. Foote does dour duty in the running game because Timmons is so weak he gets blown out 90% of running plays.

jb500ex
02-20-2013, 11:08 PM
Spence is most likely done don't expect him back

SteelersCanada
02-20-2013, 11:25 PM
lmao so clueless. Timmons struggles to play his position he is not playing two. As a matter of fact play for play foots was better the. Timmons but everyone gets all excited over Timmons 3 good games. They forget his three horrendous o Ed to start the year and he fact foote carried us in hose games. Foote does dour duty in the running game because Timmons is so weak he gets blown out 90% of running plays.

You're gonna have to not post that on an iPhone because I can only figure out about 25% of what that says.

JeromeBetties63
02-21-2013, 01:22 AM

Wrong. I'm sick of the Foote bashing. The guy knows this defense inside and out. What he has lost in speed he makes up for in experience and intelligence. He gets to the ball carrier, he makes tackles, he will be good for the younger guys, he can help this team win.

Why did our receivers struggle so much last year? No Hines Ward, thats why. Don't underestimate veteran leadership.

lloydwoodson
02-21-2013, 02:54 AM
Foote should be back for the right price.

I don't mind Foote bashing since he did leave once already to play for the Lions.

kan_t
02-21-2013, 03:28 AM
I have no problem about it if he returns as a backup. Hell no if he returns as a starting ILB. He's one of the worst in the league last year.

Steeldude
02-21-2013, 07:24 AM
Wrong. I'm sick of the Foote bashing. The guy knows this defense inside and out. What he has lost in speed he makes up for in experience and intelligence. He gets to the ball carrier, he makes tackles, he will be good for the younger guys, he can help this team win.

Why did our receivers struggle so much last year? No Hines Ward, thats why. Don't underestimate veteran leadership.

What he has lost in speed

He never had speed to lose.

He gets to the ball carrier,

You mean he waits for the ball carrier. He is pushed back far too often when trying to tackle.

experience and intelligence

Like the poor angles and misread plays?

WokeUpWithaWoodley
02-21-2013, 07:43 AM
He never had speed to lose.

You mean he waits for the ball carrier. He is pushed back far too often when trying to tackle.

Like the poor angles and misread plays?

So who would you have start. You give all the problems but have no solutions.

Steeldude
02-22-2013, 06:48 AM

Pick up a veteran FA.

If they do sign Foote I am hoping it's a one-year contract for vet minimum. Also, let him come off the bench.

pczach
02-22-2013, 04:10 PM
I'm ok with signing Foote as depth only. It's time to inject some youth with more speed and strength than Foote plays with. He's been undersized and slow his whole career. He's a very average lb that has gotten old and has no particularly special talent. He's very replaceable. If you want to use his knowledge of this defense and his leadership, use it to help groom his replacements.

SteelersCanada
02-22-2013, 05:30 PM

Draft one of the many very talented Linebackers in this draft to play alongside Timmons. That's the best solution, honestly.

teegre
02-22-2013, 05:44 PM
Draft one of the many very talented Linebackers in this draft to play alongside Timmons. That's the best solution, honestly.

Or... spray deer antler extract on Sean Spence's knee.

VaDave
02-22-2013, 06:18 PM

LOL!!!

Fire Arians
02-22-2013, 06:29 PM

that made me laugh and frown at the same time

teegre
02-22-2013, 10:03 PM
that made me laugh and frown at the same time

:hatsoff:

TheVet
02-22-2013, 11:51 PM

Man, I want both, because I sure like both (Foote is a perfectly solid LB in my opinion). But I gotta say, if it came down to that ... well, it wasn't so very long ago when the Steelers had huge problems at CB, and them days sure weren't no fun. I got really tired of looking at Deshea Townsend's rear end on the NFL highlight films ...

We might be able to fake it at LB, but nobody can fake it at CB.

teegre
02-23-2013, 12:48 AM
Man, I want both, because I sure like both (Foote is a perfectly solid LB in my opinion). But I gotta say, if it came down to that ... well, it wasn't so very long ago when the Steelers had huge problems at CB, and them days sure weren't no fun. I got really tired of looking at Deshea Townsend's rear end on the NFL highlight films ...

We might be able to fake it at LB, but nobody can fake it at CB.

You said it.

Furthermore, since Deshea's departure, the rules have handcuffed CBs. It's almost impossible to play CB anymore... and Lewis was second in the entire league in passes defensed (which, again, is all the more impressive considering the rules).