PDA

View Full Version : Antonio Brown says the Steelers’ locker room was divided last year

Hawaii 5-0
02-20-2013, 03:11 PM
Antonio Brown says the Steelers’ locker room was divided last year

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 20, 2013

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/300x-9.jpg?w=250

Steelers receiver Antonio Brown says his third year with the team was a lot different than his first two.

Brown said on SportsCenter today that Pittsburgh’s locker room was fractured in the 2012 season, in a way he hadn’t seen previously since being drafted by the Steelers in 2010.

“It was definitely different — guys weren’t really together,” Brown said.

Brown said Steelers safety Troy Polamalu was among the veterans who spoke out and tried to explain to the team that selfish behavior wouldn’t be tolerated. But that talk was apparently not enough.

“That’s when you know you’ve got issues and you’ve got to come together as a team. Because the reality of a team game is everyone on the same page, committed to the same thing, dedicated for one goal, and that’s winning,” Brown said.

Although he didn’t name any names, Brown said he thought he had teammates last year who cared more about their individual goals than about the team’s record. And he described going 8-8 as “a bitter taste” that he hopes will motivate all of his teammates to act differently in 2013.

“Everyone in our locker room in 2013 has to understand the value of being in there and what our tradition and history stand for,” Brown said.

Brown said he agrees with Steelers defensive coordinator that the Steelers could have done what the Ravens did and gone on a run to the Super Bowl.

“He’s right on — we definitely had the talent, the pieces in the right place to do some things,” Brown said. “But winning is not talent. It’s all about being on the same page, and each guy having the guy next to him’s back, and being committed to winning. You see a Ravens team that was committed to winning and togetherness, and that’s what it’s all about.”

For Pittsburgh fans, hearing a Steeler say the team needs to be more like the Ravens is, indeed, a bitter pill to swallow.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/20/antonio-brown-says-the-steelers-locker-room-was-divided-last-year/

teegre
02-20-2013, 03:56 PM
This might explain why the Steelers won't even try to resign Eric Green -er- Mike Wallace.

harrison'samonster
02-20-2013, 04:01 PM
This might explain why the Steelers won't even try to resign Eric Green -er- Mike Wallace.

i guess so. I have to believe he is talking about Wallace.

GMU Steeler
02-20-2013, 04:16 PM
Yeah got to think he's talking about Wallace here too. I'm not surprised to hear this. From what I understand, Antonio intends to take on a leadership role this year. I think he can do that.

Atlanta Dan
02-20-2013, 04:44 PM
If someone is going to be a leader and not focus on individual goals maybe consider getting rid of pointing down the field every time you make a decent catch:noidea:

Sorry to see Troy was ignored when he said to focus on the team

There is one player who probably could have turned that attitude around, but when he spends time bitching about the departed OC and taking shots at the new OC it is hard to then say it is all about team

This off season has been as much of a cluster as the last 2 months of the regular season

SteelersCanada
02-20-2013, 04:47 PM
If someone is going to be a leader and not focus on individual goals maybe consider getting rid of pointing down the field every time you make a decent catch:noidea:

In his defense, Holmes did - and still does - the same thing. I'm sorry, the 'Steeler Way' of the 90's is slowly fading with every draft. The new generation of players and fans don't mind his first down dance or the fact he ran backward 20 yards into the endzone.

Let him do his first down taunt. Who is it hurting?

teegre
02-20-2013, 05:24 PM
I remember Cowher getting rid of Adrian Cooper... for a 3rd & 6th round pick. Likewise, Eric Green led the team in receptions & yards... and they didn't resign him (nor his "locker room dividing" ways).

Once those "cancers" were shown the door, the team gelled.

In other words: good-bye, Wallace. The team means more than "you."

Like I've said, Wallace produced... but, so did Adrian Cooper & Eric Green. Sometimes, it's a matter if addition by subtraction.

"STEELERS WAY"
Eric Allen was discussing how players talking to the media (Woodley incident) is not the "Steelers way"... and he called the Steelers way the right way. Likewise, Tedy Bruschi & Jason Taylor were saying similar things. All of those analysts said that those malcontents would either be chewed out or shown the door. As Eric Allen summed up: Lombardis are the end-all, be-all for the Steelers... winning the SuperBowl is the only acceptable ending to the season.

TRH
02-20-2013, 05:38 PM
wait a second, though. I saw Brown today (he was in the ESPN studios, so he made the rounds on at least 3 if not more of the shows today - i saw him on 3 different ones, personally.."

-i like Brown - but he wasn't a very good speaker or guest and wasn't very articulate. Certainly not like Ryan Clark or even Ike Taylor, when they do appearances on the shows. He definitely was "very unpolished" to be a TV guest -
My point is that he was asked some questions today by some of the analysts and in my opinion, he didn't seem to give good answers, struggling a bit with the questions they were asking.

At one point he was asked if Tomlin would address the "leaks" and so forth behind closed doors (as everyone else agreed he almost SURELY would) - and Brown kept saying "no, not at all", etc, which i found completely ridiculous and hard to believe.
When he commented about the locker room being "divided", it didn't so much as seem that he said it was, he seemed to give in to the question more.

I took all Brown's comments with a grain of salt.

DanRooney
02-20-2013, 05:54 PM
Sad to see the mess not being corrected by Tomlin.

But at least he probably goes out to the bar with the boys on the weekends.

tony hipchest
02-20-2013, 05:57 PM
this has way more to do with just mike wallace. him, brown, sanders, and that tool wes saunders LOVED embracing and promoting the "YOUNG MONEY CREW".

hell some players were more concerned with their social profile stats than stats on the field (saunders- prime example). they believed their own self promotion and hype before they even did jack shit on the field, constantly trying to score pu$$y for nothing more than being signed and flashing some cash (marcus gilbert?)

pouncey was ripped for promoting his rapper friends new album via social media mere hours after the playoff loss to denver. gilbert ripped the city of pgh for having a lame social and nightlife compared to florida.

you have a young secondary who cant relate with and share completely different interests with the likes of ike and family men troy and clark.

the white veterans like ben, keisel, legursky, and then harrison have common interests in outdoors and hunting.

there was a ping pong crew, then you have players who simply seem aloof (mendenhall, miller).

a ton of fans were dying to cut dead weight such as aaron smith, farrior, and ward, but i knew they were the glue. theres a reason tomlin kept smith on the roster and in the locker room and rode the wave all teh way to SB in dallas. (a year our QB who theoretically should be the leader was suspended for 6 weeks- reduced to 4).

i wasnt suprised we were .500. the same shit happened after 2005 when we lost leaders von oelhoffen, bettis, and randel el (who we brought back to help reach the sb again in 2010).

leadership isnt overrrated. it doesnt come in a can and it isnt manufactured. look what it did for ray lewis and the ravens. say what you want about the bastard, but he led them and delivered on his word. suprisingly 2nd year qb big ben did the same in 2005 when he delivered a fairy tale retirement in his hometown of detroit..

then he led by example and crashed and burned. the 2006 steelers did the same.

SteelersCanada
02-20-2013, 06:17 PM
Sad to see the mess not being corrected by Tomlin.

But at least he probably goes out to the bar with the boys on the weekends.

What do you want him to do right now? He was doing his best to try and keep a locker room together in which your top receiver was holding out for financial reasons. Then, all of the veteran leadership was released because they were underachieving and not producing. A young guy had to take on the leadership role and none of the younger guys were willing or able to shoulder it.

Not everything is Tomlin's fault - contrary to what is popular on these boards. It's a cop out answer and if we insist on pinning the blame on Tomlin, nothing is going to improve or change. The players need to step up and take accountability for what they're doing or in this case, not doing, and be responsible.

FrancoLambert
02-20-2013, 06:37 PM
Woodley ( lack of dedication), Wallace (totally absorbed with his contract), and Mendenhall (acting like a jerk), seem to be the most likely suspects dividing the team.

Throw in the Ben-Haley drama and it sounds like the Steelers can quickly become a dysfunctional team.

Now it's up to Tomlin to squash it.

Atlanta Dan
02-20-2013, 06:39 PM
In his defense, Holmes did - and still does - the same thing. I'm sorry, the 'Steeler Way' of the 90's is slowly fading with every draft. The new generation of players and fans don't mind his first down dance or the fact he ran backward 20 yards into the endzone.

Let him do his first down taunt. Who is it hurting?

I would hope the standard is a little higher than what Holmes set:chuckle:

It's not "hurting" anything - but if it is all about team then celebrating yourself a half-dozen times a game for a garden variety play is contrary to that

Thanks for letting me know what the "next generation" of fans think - is that a paid position or have you agreed to be the designated spokesman for free:noidea: I confess to not knowing what my generation of fans think - it is not a monolithic group

teegre
02-20-2013, 06:52 PM
It should be noted, that when Brown was asked about the departure of Wallace, Brown welcomed the chance at bring the #1 guy. Brown did NOT say that he hopes that Wallace would be back with the Steelers.

Subtle... but, telling.

Sounds like the division might have been between Wallace & Brown. Young Money Crew became divided... probably (speculation) because Wallace was bitter that Brown "took" his money/contract.

steeltheone
02-20-2013, 07:07 PM
The " Young Punk Crew" Seems to be more mouth than money....Wallace may not be worth big money in many Steeler Fans eye's but Brown did not live up to his money at all.

If Brown thinks he can be the " Number One " He has lots of work to do.

lipps83
02-20-2013, 07:26 PM
The " Young Punk Crew" Seems to be more mouth than money....Wallace may not be worth big money in many Steeler Fans eye's but Brown did not live up to his money at all.

If Brown thinks he can be the " Number One " He has lots of work to do.

What? Brown missed 3.5 games and would have had around 80 receptions and 1,000 yards if he didn't miss. He had quite a few long punt returns that came back due to penalty as well. Not to mention he was the number 2 guy.

Sure he had some brainfarts here and there, but you do too.

What exactly do you want for what he is getting?

teegre
02-20-2013, 07:31 PM
What? Brown missed 3.5 games and would have had around 80 receptions and 1,000 yards if he didn't miss. He had quite a few long punt returns that came back due to penalty as well. Not to mention he was the number 2 guy.

Sure he had some brainfarts here and there, but you do too.

What exactly do you want for what he is getting?

It's pointless discussing AB with him. For whatever reason, he dislikes the kid.

harrison'samonster
02-20-2013, 07:41 PM
wow, it seems like it was a miracle we ended up 8-8. Whatever happens to the team over the next few years, we need to cut ties with players who are causing the trouble. There are veterans in the locker-room who are capable of continuing the Steelers way.

I don't know that Ben isn't helping to solve the issues behind the scenes, but he is the one player that needs to step in and take over this team. Very sad to hear that Polamalu was ignored.

Atlanta Dan
02-20-2013, 07:54 PM
wow, it seems like it was a miracle we ended up 8-8.

All the locker room problems may explain why there was no apparent way to stop the crash when things went sour for good starting with the awful loss to San Diego (when Keisel called out the team for not being ready to play)

steeltheone
02-20-2013, 07:55 PM
It's pointless discussing AB with him. For whatever reason, he dislikes the kid.

I don't dislike like him personally, it's constant bash Mike Wallace and Brown posts 787 and 5 td's.

I realize he missed 3 games and i think he is good,but not a number 1 or even close. He has lots to prove this year and i would be happy to be WRONG about his ceiling!

harrison'samonster
02-20-2013, 08:00 PM
I don't dislike like him personally, it's constant bash Mike Wallace and Brown posts 787 and 5 td's.

I realize he missed 3 games and i think he is good,but not a number 1 or even close. He has lots to prove this year and i would be happy to be WRONG about his ceiling!

I hear ya, Brown's going to get a chance to be that #1 guy this year. Like you I hope he can prove that he's capable of it.

zcoop
02-20-2013, 08:08 PM
It's interesting how folks automatically assume that Wallace and some others are the ones who divided the locker room, when Ben clearly had issues with the system and new OC. This was public knowledge yet it is absent in this thread and is probably where the rub lie. I agree with AB and want to know who put this out there or was it fabricated by the writer to generate interest.

SteelersCanada
02-20-2013, 08:10 PM
I never thought I'd say this, but I think I agree with Skip Bayless. I think that whoever this anonymous source was that was talking about Woodley will ultimately end up helping this team gel and come together. It's already been discussed, but Woodley is already training and working out with Clark soon to follow.

Maybe someone like Roethlisberger needs to sit everyone down and say 'Guys, what the fuck.' and get everyone a) on the same page and b) working as a unit. Ben needs to have a similar approach to what Claude Giroux just did what the Flyers - call them out. Not to the media, but call the team out behind closed doors and let them know that 8-8 is unacceptable. Having personal agendas and egos take over a team is unacceptable and letting them run over a team is what happened in 2012. This begins and ends with Roethlisberger stepping up and accepting his leadership role.

It has to be more than Ben, though. AB, Sanders and Pouncey have to step up as the more 'veteran guys' and take control over this team. In house bitching and personal agendas can't derail another season. Oh, and for Christ sake, can we not ignore what Polamalu says? Whenever Troy talks, everyone needs to shut up and listen. I'm not sold on him being on the roster next year, but the guy knows what he's talking about and when he talks, the young guys have to shut up and listen.

Millers the sh!t
02-20-2013, 08:12 PM
He's talking about that selfish prick Dick lebeau and him having his #1 ranked defense again..... Lol

harrison'samonster
02-20-2013, 08:25 PM
It's interesting how folks automatically assume that Wallace and some others are the ones who divided the locker room, when Ben clearly had issues with the system and new OC. This was public knowledge yet it is absent in this thread and is probably where the rub lie. I agree with AB and want to know who put this out there or was it fabricated by the writer to generate interest.

Very good points. To be honest it's all speculation on our parts as to who is the problem. People pointing the finger at Wallace might be wishful thinking - blame the guy who's on his way out of town.

Wallace108
02-21-2013, 12:30 AM
It's too bad no one saw this coming. No warning signs. If only there had been some clues ... like a player making divisive comments before the start of last season. Maybe then it could have been dealt with before it got to this point.

Then again, perhaps this is still just the media making stuff up. :noidea:

LVSteelersfan
02-21-2013, 01:46 AM

Problem is that Wallace is not a true #1 receiver either. The Steelers don't have one. The closest thing last year was Heath Miller.

lloydwoodson
02-21-2013, 02:51 AM
I love how everyone projects their hatred of Wallace onto every issue facing the Steelers.

Why would Polamalu talk to the whole team if the problem resides with one player who happens to play on the other side of the ball?

Should Heath Miller start giving talks to the whole team if Lewis starts underperforming?

Polamalu is the quietest player on the team. If Troy felt the need to speak out there must have been huge problems. (Probably bigger than a 3rd rd WR who makes bargain basement salary problems).

ebsteelers
02-21-2013, 09:13 AM
theres a few teams that have there way
steeler way, weather you like it or not the patriot way.

either do it there way or get the fu(K out

ebsteelers
02-21-2013, 09:14 AM
I love how everyone projects their hatred of Wallace onto every issue facing the Steelers.

Why would Polamalu talk to the whole team if the problem resides with one player who happens to play on the other side of the ball?

Should Heath Miller start giving talks to the whole team if Lewis starts underperforming?

Polamalu is the quietest player on the team. If Troy felt the need to speak out there must have been huge problems. (Probably bigger than a 3rd rd WR who makes bargain basement salary problems).

but when that bargain basement salary think hes deserves 10 million is when the chatter starts

steelfury02
02-21-2013, 10:23 AM
I've said it all year long - you don't have to be in the Steelers locker room to see what was going on, on MULTIPLE fronts

Ben's issue with the offense
Wallace holding out and making business decisions during the course of the season
Woodley not focused
Mendenhall not showing up

Add injuries and losing and yea, pretty ugly team

fer522
02-21-2013, 10:54 AM
Where the hell was Tomlin and what the hell was he doing when all this was going on? :noidea:

teegre
02-21-2013, 11:31 AM
More about the same:

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/65753/can-steelers-fix-fractured-locker-room

harrison'samonster
02-21-2013, 12:55 PM
What can Tomlin do about the trouble at this point? Has it gone so far that the players causing trouble won't be back on the team?

stb_steeler
02-21-2013, 01:01 PM
We did lose alot of leadership when Farrior,Smith, Ward left....Its high time someone steps it up and takes over, but who is it gonna be?:noidea:

harrison'samonster
02-21-2013, 01:17 PM
We did lose alot of leadership when Farrior,Smith, Ward left....Its high time someone steps it up and takes over, but who is it gonna be?:noidea:

Hard to say who it will be. The team leaders just naturally become the leaders. We need that Reggie White type of leader. Not only was he unbelievable on the field but he was also a great man off the field. Aaron Smith was one of those types of people as well.

Losing Smith was huge, and wasn't Farrior the one who always had teammates relaxing and just spending time together at his house?

EDIT: I guess my point about the Reggie White type of leader is this: we don't need somebody who's screaming on the field, but somebody who doesn't need to scream.

fer522
02-21-2013, 01:24 PM
What can Tomlin do about the trouble at this point? Has it gone so far that the players causing trouble won't be back on the team?

This was going on during the season and Tomlin didn't do much about it or couldn't do anything about it I wonder if he's the right man for the job or if he's the leader this team needs. :noidea:

harrison'samonster
02-21-2013, 01:30 PM
This was going on during the season and Tomlin didn't do much about it or couldn't do anything about it I wonder if he's the right man for the job or if he's the leader this team needs. :noidea:

hard to say for sure without knowing everything that happened. We'll get more answers about how Tomlin will deal with it as we lead up to the season. This year will be a big test for him after all this offseason circus.

steelfury02
02-21-2013, 02:01 PM
As of right now, these aren't my Steelers I'm used to seeing - not liking it one bit on many levels

it's one thing to have a shitty ass season due to injuries or just having a young team cutting their teeth - its a whole other thing to find out its because of something that we aren't accustomed to seeing

The Jets are supposed to be like this - not the Steelers. :mad:

EDIT: Taking bets how quickly this team gets booed - shit is getting bad.

Lady Steel
02-22-2013, 01:35 AM
The infighting and snitching on others is very disturbing and I'm getting tired of it. The inmates are currently running the asylum, and Tomlin needs to get a grip on his team.

Hawaii 5-0
02-22-2013, 11:01 PM
Ward: Steelers locker room in ‘total disarray’

By Alan Robinson
Published: Friday, February 22, 2013

INDIANAPOLIS — Hines Ward didn't want to leave the Steelers as early as he did. He certainly didn't want to leave them like this.

To Ward, the Steelers are in “total disarray” in their locker room, something that wouldn't have occurred previously because their established leaders wouldn't have permitted it.

Ward suggested the recent departure of acknowledged team leaders — he didn't mention them, but they include Ward, James Farrior and Aaron Smith — has badly hurt the Steelers' internal chemistry.

“When you lose so much leadership in the locker room, that is where things present itself like that,” Ward told the NFL Network on Friday.

“Guys start finger-pointing, calling out other guys. That's not the Steeler way. We always had a rule: We are a band of brothers. We've always collectively kept everything in-house. But there was no finger-pointing and calling out each other. That's total disarray, a locker room in disarray.”

In recent days, there has been speculation about linebacker LaMarr Woodley's supposed weight problems, which even Steelers coaches expressed concern about months ago.

Wide receiver Antonio Brown also said there was a rift between players concerned about team goals and those more focused on individual goals.

Safety Ryan Clark mentioned a possible fracture in the locker room, to him an unusual occurrence for a team he said has been known for leaders such as Joey Porter and Alan Faneca.

General manager Kevin Colbert said Thursday there was no such rift despite the team's 8-8 record, saying he and coach Mike Tomlin closely monitor such things.

“Whether you win a Super Bowl or finish 8-8, there's not a 100 percent harmonious locker room,” Colbert said. “Quite honestly, I'm not concerned about our locker room.”

Ward also revealed he would have preferred to play one final season in Pittsburgh, saying he regretted not having a Ray Lewis-like farewell tour.

Ward began the 2011 season as a starter, lost his job midway through the season and by the end was a only a complementary receiver. The Steelers chose not to bring him back for 2012 and he joined NBC as a Sunday night game analyst.

On his Twitter account, Ward refers to himself as a “Steeler for life.”

“That's the whole thing about it,” he said.

“I'm a little disappointed I didn't get the opportunity to run around and congratulate the fans and really just thank them for so many great years. I always wanted that. … I always thought I could play football for another season, if I had been healthy.”

The Steelers felt Ward's skills had visibly eroded, as evidenced when he struggled late in the 2011 season. He made only 20 catches past midseason, nine in the final two games as they made certain he ended his career with 1,000 catches.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3534225-74/steelers-ward-locker#ixzz2LghZJJFF

harrison'samonster
02-22-2013, 11:23 PM
I've don't really take Ward's comments on the current situation in the locker room to seriously. He wasn't there this year and is like the rest of us a spectator. Granted he knows the players really well, but he wasn't there himself.

BowCatShot
02-24-2013, 10:00 AM
What do you want him to do right now? He was doing his best to try and keep a locker room together in which your top receiver was holding out for financial reasons. Then, all of the veteran leadership was released because they were underachieving and not producing. A young guy had to take on the leadership role and none of the younger guys were willing or able to shoulder it.

Not everything is Tomlin's fault - contrary to what is popular on these boards. It's a cop out answer and if we insist on pinning the blame on Tomlin, nothing is going to improve or change. The players need to step up and take accountability for what they're doing or in this case, not doing, and be responsible.

Nothing like having a head coach who's just not responsible for anything, nothing's his fault, doesn't have to fix anything because he's never wrong. Now that's a formula for success if I ever saw one.

Now in Mike's defense, the last time the steeler brass installed one of their personal friends, Joe Walton, as offensive coordinator, the team performed down to the pre 1970's level. Which was very very bad. And they did so for several years. Until they finally got rid of the bum.

SteelersCanada
02-25-2013, 04:15 PM
via Dave Bryan of @SteelersDepot on Twitter

AB Admits There Was 'Awkwardness' With Mike Wallace

Brown was asked last Wednesday on 98.7 ESPN Radio New York if there was any awkwardness between he and Wallace in the locker room last season because he was the receiver that received the new contract.

"Some bit of awkwardness," said Brown. "You know, a guy who had been there longer than I and definitely wanting a deal, but you gotta not dwell on that and that kind of situation prohibits bad blood to a team where guys are there for themselves, and not buy into the team aspects and could definitely cause a drama within a team."

http://sulia.com/channel/pittsburgh-steelers/f/f5ea7f61-6990-4640-9be7-2a06375ef7d6/?source=twitter

lardlad
02-26-2013, 09:24 PM
I have to say we are all wondering who is going to step up as a leader in the locker room. I honestly think it should be Tomlin telling these guys to knock it off. Really it is his team, locker room leaders are great to have, but without one, it shouldn't be unraveling like it SEEMS to be.

At the same time I don't have a problem with Brown speaking out. Maybe this is his way of stepping up and leading. Maybe it can be done in a better way (not to the media) but, doesn't bother me much.

steelfury02
02-27-2013, 10:02 AM
I have to say we are all wondering who is going to step up as a leader in the locker room. I honestly think it should be Tomlin telling these guys to knock it off. Really it is his team, locker room leaders are great to have, but without one, it shouldn't be unraveling like it SEEMS to be.

At the same time I don't have a problem with Brown speaking out. Maybe this is his way of stepping up and leading. Maybe it can be done in a better way (not to the media) but, doesn't bother me much.

1. Brown needs some serious public speaking classes or a language coach or maybe even both - its as bad if not worse than Shannon Sharpe - a favorite player of mine nonetheless

2. Hines Ward was a great leader both by example and voice - coming out and speaking his mind to the media is exactly what Antonio Brown is doing. I don't particularly know if it is necessary or useful and I'd pref just not say anything outside of locker room or 1 on 1, but for as great as Ward was, he would be on networks as much if not more than Brown, calling out a ton of guys. He came out against Ben plenty but also came to, put his arm around him at training camp, and I think that made a big statement to the rest of the team and Steeler Nation

My point is - no one seems to have each others' backs on this team - no unity and a lot of me firsts. Hopefully AB is cutting his teeth in the leadership role - refining it for next season

tony hipchest
02-27-2013, 10:40 AM
look at amanning, brady, rodgers, or brees led team.

is anyone waiting for a 3rd or 4th year WR to step up and be a leader?

do all of bens teammates think he is a fucking clown?

he still acts like he is a 2nd year player trying to appease, pacify, and win over veterans such as jerome, faneca, and ward.

look how he coddled the sucky OL after the 08 SB win and how he continues to do the same with wallace.

tony hipchest
02-27-2013, 10:43 AM
I've don't really take Ward's comments on the current situation in the locker room to seriously. He wasn't there this year and is like the rest of us a spectator. Granted he knows the players really well, but he wasn't there himself.

yeah, but you dont have to be in the band to know the music you are hearing sucks...

harrison'samonster
02-27-2013, 12:00 PM
yeah, but you dont have to be in the band to know the music you are hearing sucks...

very true. just as long as Hines doesn't turn into our Yoko Ono. I realize he's just getting started in the media business and I hope he turns it into a successful career.

VaDave
02-27-2013, 12:08 PM

That's a good one.

How about these:

,You can have the world's greatest composition, but if it's played by a couple of 6 graders, odds are, it isn't going to be good, regardless of the conductor.

OR

You can be the best fiddle player in the world, but if you are playing a crap piece of music, you can't play it good.

AND,

If the alto sax is flat, nobody sounds good.

steelfury02
02-27-2013, 12:30 PM

Tony's on fire today (ok, so I'm smooching butt lol) but seriously - you pretty much summed up the past months debates with your last 2-3 posts

I guess if you're the new guy in town and everyone lets the popular butthead be a butthead and be "in control" - you really don't stand a chance to improve anything

que 80s music

Hawaii 5-0
02-27-2013, 07:04 PM
Steelers restructure Antonio Brown’s contract

February 27, 2013 by Paul Jackiewicz

In order to get under the salary cap, the Pittsburgh Steelers have been working on restructuring the contracts of quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. They just finished redoing linebacker Lawrence Timmons’ contract today.

According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, the Steelers have also restructured wide receiver Antonio Browns contract.

Ian Rapoport ✔ @RapSheet

#Steelers restructured WR Antonio Brown's deal, lowing base to $650,000 with a $3.85M signing bonus (h/t @ProFootballTalk). Cap space: > $3M

8:04 PM - 27 Feb 13

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/steelers_restructure_antonio_browns_contract/13010659

teegre
02-27-2013, 09:22 PM

Q: What has 9 arms and sucks?
A: Def Leppard

Hawaii 5-0
02-28-2013, 12:58 AM
Brown: 'Awkwardness' with Mike Wallace

FEB 26
By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown told ESPN last week that there was a division in the Steelers' locker room. Then he told ESPN Radio in New York that his relationship with wide receiver Mike Wallace wasn't exactly perfect after he signed a six-year, $43 million contract during Wallace's holdout last summer.

Asked if there was awkwardness between himself and Wallace last season, Brown said, “Some bit of awkwardness. You know, a guy who has been there longer than I and definitely wanting a deal, but you've got to not dwell on that and that kind of situation prohibits bad blood to a team where guys are there for themselves, and not buy into the team aspects and could definitely cause a drama within a team.”

Could Brown's comments on a divided locker room and Wallace be related? Quite possibly. When Brown said some players weren't on the same page last season, one assumption is he was talking about Wallace, whose contract was on the forefront of his mind.

Just think that a contract could get in the way of the self-proclaimed "Young Money Crew." Tragic. The Steelers won't have to worry about Wallace much longer because it's expected that he'll sign elsewhere when free agency begins next month.

Brown, though, wasn't done describing a lackadaisical Steelers team that finished 8-8 last year, with half of those losses coming to teams with losing records.

"I think guys were going out there thinking, ‘We are the Steelers and we just going to roll into games,’" Brown said. "But we've got to take poise and leadership and understand the importance of winning games and getting on it and taking it seriously and get on with what we've got to do."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/73056/brown-awkwardness-with-mike-wallace