PDA

View Full Version : Steve Breaston

jacobo
02-21-2013, 01:05 PM
Interesting interview, and in it he says he wouldn't mind playing for Todd Haley again after being cut from the Chiefs a few days ago.

Would you play in Pittsburgh with Todd Haley?

"I don't know what the future holds for me. I just think that I came out there and I was with coach Haley, and the situation I'm in now ... you just have sit back and look at things, see what opportunities I may have and what's going to benefit me. I want to get back to winning games. That's one of the big things, that's going to be a big part of my decision-making. Going somewhere where I can compete and have the opportunity to help the team win games. I'm going to look at the situation, see what I have in front of me. If I'm blessed to be back home and go with coach Haley and help contribute to win games then I'm fine with it. Right now I just got released the other day so I wasn't really thinking too much about this process. We'll figure it out sooner or later."

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2013/2/21/4012522/steve-breaston-interview-released-free-agent-chiefs-steelers-todd-haley

Another article discussing it further

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/2/21/4012570/2013-nfl-free-agency-wide-receiver-steve-breaston-steelers-depth-chart

What's everyone think? He's a decent option that should come cheap after an injury and lack of production last year, plus he's a fan of Haley and has followed him around when he went to KC, and him being from the area probably doesn't hurt either. Good route runner, willing to go over the middle, and if his knee is healed, has some pretty good speed. Shouldn't cost that much either.

harrison'samonster
02-21-2013, 01:13 PM
if we can afford it I think it's a good deal. He's worked in Haley's system so I wouldn't think it would be a problem for him to come in. Like I've said in another thread, he had a 1000 yard season as a #3 receiver when he had Warner throwing to him. He's only 29 and as far as I've seen he's never had injury problems.

If we can afford him it should be a great fit.

Riddle_Of_Steel
02-21-2013, 02:03 PM
That would give the WR corps a descent veteran presence, with Breaston and Cotchery on the same squad.

If they pick him up, I think it also sends a message that upper management feels the WR corps needs some guidance. I agree. "Young money" and Wallace's contract holdout. I like Brown, but he contributes his own share of stupid with the sideshow stuff.

I think Brown's statements seem to suggest that Wallace is being seen by folks internal to the org as having been a large part of the problem. People with "their own agendas" sounds like Wallace to me.

Is he just the scapegoat? Maybe, but either way, that, combined with most of the language from the Rooney's thus far says there is a 0% chance Wallace is a Steeler this next season.

steelersfan299
02-21-2013, 03:14 PM
I only want him if we pay little to nothing for him, he wasn't that good last year and I don't see him as a starting wide receiver.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
02-21-2013, 03:25 PM
If we are going to spend money on a cheap FA sign Chris Ivory he'd make more competition for Dywer and Redman and whoever else is at camp.

ebsteelers
02-21-2013, 03:34 PM
wouldnt be a bad pick up but at the same time... if i remember correctly he is not a big posssesion wide out, which is what we need..

sanders, brown, add breston, and cotch.

who is making the big catch across the middle 4th and 6th on the goal line to win the ship?

SteelersCanada
02-21-2013, 03:46 PM
Breaston or Cotchery - pick one, we can't have both. I go with Cotchery because he took a pay cut to stay here and be with this team. That needs to be the attitude for this team, not whining and bitching about a contract in the offseason.

harrison'samonster
02-21-2013, 03:50 PM
Breaston or Cotchery - pick one, we can't have both. I go with Cotchery because he took a pay cut to stay here and be with this team. That needs to be the attitude for this team, not whining and bitching about a contract in the offseason.

it might come down to that. If that's the case, I wouldn't be surprised to see Haley pull for Breaston.

teegre
02-21-2013, 04:25 PM
wouldnt be a bad pick up but at the same time... if i remember correctly he is not a big posssesion wide out, which is what we need..

sanders, brown, add breston, and cotch.

who is making the big catch across the middle 4th and 6th on the goal line to win the ship?

Heath Miller... and Gavin Escobar.

PhantomJB93
02-21-2013, 06:30 PM
Considering he's from Pittsburgh, best buddies with Woodley from college, and has experience with Haley, I'd think we'd be his top option if we offered him a deal...it's just a matter of if we could actually offer him a deal.

I like Breaston and think he could be really good on our team, he hasn't been in a situation to succeed since Kurt Warner left Arizona and he looked good back in those days. If we don't resign Plaxico I'd look into Breaston.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-21-2013, 08:11 PM
Considering he's from Pittsburgh, best buddies with Woodley from college, and has experience with Haley, I'd think we'd be his top option if we offered him a deal...it's just a matter of if we could actually offer him a deal.

I like Breaston and think he could be really good on our team, he hasn't been in a situation to succeed since Kurt Warner left Arizona and he looked good back in those days. If we don't resign Plaxico I'd look into Breaston.

Yup, he is a #3 WR at best and a guy that is a vertical threat. Cant put up any worse numbers than Wallace last year and will not be that expensive.

steelfury02
02-21-2013, 08:41 PM
Yup, he is a #3 WR at best and a guy that is a vertical threat. Cant put up any worse numbers than Wallace last year and will not be that expensive.

this

harrison'samonster
02-21-2013, 08:50 PM
seems Breaston wants to be somewhere he will play, looks like it's going to be a big part of which team he ends up with. If we end up with Brown, Sanders, and Breaston I can see him getting a lot of playing time.

That would leave Burress and Cotchery no room on the team. With the possibility of Miller missing a lot of action we might need another big target for Ben though.

steeltheone
02-21-2013, 08:51 PM

Breaston has only did better than Mike Wallace's "bad year 2012" only once in in his career.

Breaston is not a number 1...Wallace was ( not elite, but still a 1 )

Sanders is the key...He needs to play better than a " 3 " wideout.....he has had some flashes of brillance, but otherwise has been a disappointment.

Brown ,Breaston and Sanders ( a productive Sanders ) would do just fine.

Steelers5895
02-21-2013, 09:03 PM
he adds depth but doesnt help our WR corp.

he would be a #3 at best. v

now, he does add a return game option as he is solid there.

does make good catches, had a productive super bowl.

if cheap why not.

tony hipchest
02-21-2013, 09:53 PM
its been well known that good running backs can typically come in and be productive (#1 back) starters their 1st year out of college.

it has also been well known that it typically takes wr's 3 years to "get" the position (save for the elite such as megatron and andrae johnson). see- jacoby jones, crabtree etc.

Iwould sab brown and sanders are right on schedule with their development. they each had 300+ receptions in college and caught everything thrown their way in the early years before they were thrust into starting roles.

i think they were broth pressing last year, trying to be the next "great" steelers wr (like their mentor hines ward).

lets keep in mind hines didnt break out until 2001 and wasnt considered a legitimate threat as a possible #1 wr until 2003 and the "tommy gun" offense with plaxico on the other side.

i generally think deion sanders is an idiot, but he has seen and studied every wr corps in the nfl for the past 20 years. i believe him last year when he said the "young money" trio was the most talented group in the league.

they had issues. they pressed. they fell short of expectations.

it happens. i dont think its a trend or permanent problem.

steeltheone
02-21-2013, 10:12 PM
its been well known that good running backs can typically come in and be productive (#1 back) starters their 1st year out of college.

it has also been well known that it typically takes wr's 3 years to "get" the position (save for the elite such as megatron and andrae johnson). see- jacoby jones, crabtree etc.

Iwould sab brown and sanders are right on schedule with their development. they each had 300+ receptions in college and caught everything thrown their way in the early years before they were thrust into starting roles.

i think they were broth pressing last year, trying to be the next "great" steelers wr (like their mentor hines ward).

lets keep in mind hines didnt break out until 2001 and wasnt considered a legitimate threat as a possible #1 wr until 2003 and the "tommy gun" offense with plaxico on the other side.

i generally think deion sanders is an idiot, but he has seen and studied every wr corps in the nfl for the past 20 years. i believe him last year when he said the "young money" trio was the most talented group in the league.

it happens. i dont think its a trend or permanent problem. Sanders has been all " potential" 1200 yards and 5 td's in 3 years is almost Pathetic (with his talent) I really thought he would breakout last year. I was very disappointed.

If he does not come through in a big way this year we could be in trouble.

harrison'samonster
02-21-2013, 10:17 PM
Sanders has been all " potential" 1200 yards and 5 td's in 3 years is almost Pathetic (with his talent) I really thought he would breakout last year. I was very disappointed.

If he does not come through in a big way this year we could be in trouble.

it's looking like he might have a bigger role in the offense this year, different people would react to that...differently. Hopefully he's going to rise to the challenge.

SteelersCanada
02-21-2013, 10:26 PM
Very rarely does a third string WR get over 1000 yards when his Quarterback misses 3 games and the offense he plays in is considered 'dink and dunk'.

tony hipchest
02-21-2013, 10:37 PM
Sanders has been all " potential" 1200 yards and 5 td's in 3 years is almost Pathetic (with his talent) I really thought he would breakout last year. I was very disappointed.

everyone has the right to be disappointed. during those 3 years he was just slightly beat out by a 6th rounder for return duties. had a severley screwed up ankle. and had their mother die while screwing up their ankle once again.

everyone also has the right to think they have the mental fortitude to put a team on their back under those circumstances, as well.

in the meantime, the Houston Texans sure are wishing they had Jacoby Jones lining up opposite of Andrae Johnson going into next season. :hunch:

tony hipchest
02-21-2013, 10:41 PM
i could be mistaken but i think e. sanders is the only WR we got responsible to know the X, Y, & Z receiver positions.

harrison'samonster
02-21-2013, 11:08 PM
Sanders is the first player to be fined for faking an injury, he definitely has got a head on his shoulder. I'm hoping he's gonna step up big this year for us.

austinfrench76
02-22-2013, 12:09 AM
I would love this pickup for a minimum type contract. Seems like Haley knows how to use him, so let's do it!

teegre
02-22-2013, 01:02 AM

it happens. i dont think its a trend or permanent problem.

Great post.

SteelCityScotty
02-23-2013, 03:42 PM
Does anyone think David Gilreath has a chance to become a WR who can contribute to the Steelers in the future? He showed some promise in the preseason last year.

I was hoping the local kid, Toney Clemons, would step up and make it onto the active roster this season...but then I noticed that the Jaguars signed him off the practice squad in November.

Man, after feeling pretty good on the day after last year's draft, things have fallen apart a bit for several of the players the Steelers selected.

Curtain_of_Steel
02-23-2013, 03:51 PM
Why is this guy getting so much play? Journeyman WR. Who cares.

You lose your deep threat, and this year you will be blaming Ben for not passing the ball.

Brown didnt play any better than Wallace, Sanders sucked. This position is not in good shape at this point.

bubbletownwr88
02-23-2013, 05:05 PM
Damn, you guys really hating on these wide receivers. How about we see what the offense is like after they have a full year under the system. Also, it's hard when the second half of the season you play without Ben or an unhealthy Ben. No one is going to put up big numbers with Charlie Batch throwing to them. Also, Antonio Brown and Sanders both battled injuries. I do say that Sanders needs to do something to stop getting injured but some of it's just bad luck. Give them another year to put the jury out on them.

harrison'samonster
02-23-2013, 05:13 PM
Damn, you guys really hating on these wide receivers. How about we see what the offense is like after they have a full year under the system. Also, it's hard when the second half of the season you play without Ben or an unhealthy Ben. No one is going to put up big numbers with Charlie Batch throwing to them. Also, Antonio Brown and Sanders both battled injuries. I do say that Sanders needs to do something to stop getting injured but some of it's just bad luck. Give them another year to put the jury out on them.

the more I've thought about it over the last month the less I'm worried about the WR position. Breaston is getting so much talk on here because he knows Haley's system.

Brown and Sanders both have a good shot at showing us this year how good they really can be. I'm expecting good things out of them this season!

DanRooney
02-23-2013, 07:40 PM
Sanders also has:

Genius-level intellect
Peak physical and mental conditioning
Master martial artist, acrobat, detective, escapologist, strategist, tactician, and marksman
Use of high-tech equipment, weapons, armors & gadgets
Master of stealth
Immune to mind control
Master of disguise
Proficient with technology
Access to vast wealth and criminal records
Trained computer hacker
Photographic memory

But all that matters to me is he only averages 400 yards/season in the last 3 years :coffee:

harrison'samonster
02-23-2013, 07:41 PM
Sanders also has:

Genius-level intellect
Peak physical and mental conditioning
Master martial artist, acrobat, detective, escapologist, strategist, tactician, and marksman
Use of high-tech equipment, weapons, armors & gadgets
Master of stealth
Immune to mind control
Master of disguise
Proficient with technology
Access to vast wealth and criminal records
Trained computer hacker
Photographic memory

But all that matters to me is he only averages 400 yards/season in the last 3 years :coffee:

he's also a great dancer!

DanRooney
02-23-2013, 07:42 PM

O rly?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9SBlm1ig2Q

bubbletownwr88
02-24-2013, 12:32 PM
O rly?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9SBlm1ig2Q

i think that's hilarious that you pick that video...that ball should have been picked off! :rofl: :hatsoff:

wwhickok
02-24-2013, 07:10 PM
I only want him if we pay little to nothing for him, he wasn't that good last year and I don't see him as a starting wide receiver.

THIS.

I like the idea of a veteran in our Receiving Corps in addition to Cotchery, I like what Breaston brings to the table, potentially, but I'm not for wasting cash on him at a high price.

harrison'samonster
02-24-2013, 07:15 PM
THIS.

I like the idea of a veteran in our Receiving Corps in addition to Cotchery, I like what Breaston brings to the table, potentially, but I'm not for wasting cash on him at a high price.

I have a feeling that if we grab him it will be for pretty good money, he's getting looks from several teams (including the Browns who have a lot to spend). I also believe that if he's on the roster there won't be any room for Burress or even possibly Cotchery.

The Steelers still may go after him because he knows Haley's offense.

austinfrench76
02-28-2013, 12:24 AM
Speaking of former Chiefs filling a need for us I just saw that Cassel is being cut by the Chiefs after the Smith pickup. Wonder what his price tag would be? Might be a nice long term, Chaz Batch type signing. He's proved hes nit a starter so who knows...

SteelersCanada
02-28-2013, 04:52 PM
Breaking: Steelers Sign WR Steve Breaston

The Pittsburgh Steelers are agreed to terms with free agent WR Steve Breaston.

http://www.profootballcentral.com/2013/02/28/breaking-steelers-sign-wr-steve-breaston/

-- Grain of salt until a more reliable source confirms it, especially since we can't sign anyone yet.

Buddha Bus
02-28-2013, 05:03 PM
-- Grain of salt until a more reliable source confirms it, especially since we can't sign anyone yet.

Are you kidding me? With grammar like that how could it possibly be unreliable? :noidea:

GMU Steeler
02-28-2013, 05:08 PM
Breaking: Steelers Sign WR Steve Breaston

The Pittsburgh Steelers are agreed to terms with free agent WR Steve Breaston.

http://www.profootballcentral.com/2013/02/28/breaking-steelers-sign-wr-steve-breaston/

Honestly, I'd be shocked if we weren't pursuing him. Just seems like a near perfect fit. I'm on record as wanting someone taller for the WR corp but Steve could fill a void.

teegre
02-28-2013, 05:09 PM
Are you kidding me? With grammar like that how could it possibly be unreliable? :noidea:

Don't make fun of he. Him's grammar not so bad.

Buddha Bus
02-28-2013, 05:39 PM
Don't make fun of he. Him's grammar not so bad.

Me sorry. :oops:

teegre
02-28-2013, 05:41 PM
Me sorry. :oops:

That post just embiggened my opinion of you.

Buddha Bus
02-28-2013, 05:43 PM
That post just embiggened my opinion of you.

You are one easily mislead individual.

Buddha Bus
02-28-2013, 05:45 PM
And WTF is "embiggened"? My Speak N' Spell just self-destructed when I entered it. :huh:

:chuckle:

harrison'samonster
02-28-2013, 06:15 PM
And WTF is "embiggened"? My Speak N' Spell just self-destructed when I entered it. :huh:

it's a perfectly cromulent word

Fire Haley
02-28-2013, 06:15 PM
never heard of that "source"

how come nobody else has it?

vasteeler
02-28-2013, 06:16 PM

isnt that al bundys favorite magazine?

Buddha Bus
02-28-2013, 06:18 PM

Because it's horseshit.

harrison'samonster
02-28-2013, 06:18 PM
isnt that al bundys favorite magazine?

Biggins :rofl:

Buddha Bus
02-28-2013, 06:20 PM
Biggins :rofl:

I believe it's actually "Big 'Uns", kind sir. :chuckle:

SteelersCanada
02-28-2013, 06:23 PM

It's honestly probably just a guy reading that Breaston was taking a physical with us today and is trying to break the story first. Wouldn't be the first time. I guess there's worse things than a smaller site kind of guy trying to get recognition by breaking a minor story like this, but it's all good I guess. I thought I'd post it with a cautionary message attached.

steeltheone
02-28-2013, 08:31 PM
Interesting interview, and in it he says he wouldn't mind playing for Todd Haley again after being cut from the Chiefs a few days ago.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2013/2/21/4012522/steve-breaston-interview-released-free-agent-chiefs-steelers-todd-haley

Another article discussing it further

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/2/21/4012570/2013-nfl-free-agency-wide-receiver-steve-breaston-steelers-depth-chart

What's everyone think? He's a decent option that should come cheap after an injury and lack of production last year, plus he's a fan of Haley and has followed him around when he went to KC, and him being from the area probably doesn't hurt either. Good route runner, willing to go over the middle, and if his knee is healed, has some pretty good speed. Shouldn't cost that much either. If he does not take a reduced pay, he will not be in Pittsburgh.

Fire Haley
02-28-2013, 08:34 PM
It's honestly probably just a guy reading that Breaston was taking a physical with us today and is trying to break the story first. Wouldn't be the first time. I guess there's worse things than a smaller site kind of guy trying to get recognition by breaking a minor story like this, but it's all good I guess. I thought I'd post it with a cautionary message attached.

so it's a lie?

I'd rather read PFT for rumors

teegre
02-28-2013, 08:52 PM
You are one easily mislead individual.

True. Magicians, used car salesmen, and Ponzi scam ring-leaders love me.

SteelersCanada
02-28-2013, 08:53 PM
so it's a lie?

I'd rather read PFT for rumors

It's "unconfirmed". Take what you will from that.

teegre
02-28-2013, 08:58 PM
I believe it's actually "Big 'Uns", kind sir. :chuckle:

Big Uns... that's akin to the Miss Emersom pageant at the annual OTL tournament.

"Emersom nice... "

Fire Haley
02-28-2013, 09:46 PM
Because it's horseshit.

that's what I thought

austinfrench76
03-01-2013, 12:03 AM
Bouchette said it on Twitter....

austinfrench76
03-01-2013, 12:05 AM
To clarify, Bouchette said he is in Pitt taking a physical.

Lady Steel
03-01-2013, 12:32 AM
he's also a great dancer!

He also just got engaged.

She said yes!!!

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/11386_497197063649228_1313728600_n.jpg

Beautiful ring. Congrats to both of them!

Buddha Bus
03-01-2013, 04:34 AM
To clarify, Bouchette said he is in Pitt taking a physical.

Which is completely different than being signed to a contract. It sounds hopeful though.

Galax Steeler
03-01-2013, 05:27 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing him come to Pittsburgh.

Fire Haley
03-01-2013, 11:33 AM
so, still no word on this "Breaking News!"

SteelersCanada
03-01-2013, 12:05 PM
so, still no word on this "Breaking News!"

Well, considering no one can be signed yet, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Fire Haley
03-01-2013, 03:50 PM
so much for that

BREAKING NEWS!!!!!!!

Steelers won't sign Breaston

they may revisit him later if he remains unsigned

Other teams reportedly interested in Breaston’s services include the Lions, Cowboys and Titans.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

austinfrench76
03-01-2013, 03:56 PM
Upward adn onward!!!!!!!!!1

Hawaii 5-0
03-01-2013, 08:22 PM
Steve Breaston to test market, could still join Pittsburgh Steelers

By Aditi Kinkhabwala
Reporter, NFL.com and NFL Network
Published: March 1, 2013

Free-agent wide receiver Steve Breaston had a very good meeting with Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin on Thursday, a source close to Breaston said, but both sides are exploring their options in regard to his free agency.

Breaston's representative team believes the receiver can get the long-term contract he desires, along with the opportunity to be a team's No. 2 wide receiver.

It's important to note that no deal could have been agreed to this week between Breaston and the Steelers, anyway, since the team still needs to create space under the salary cap in order to make such a signing. Contracts also cannot be finalized until the new league year begins March 12.

Breaston is expected to meet with other NFL teams in the coming weeks.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000146285/article/steve-breaston-meets-in-contract-talks-with-pittsburgh-steelers

harrison'samonster
03-01-2013, 08:43 PM
Breaston would be a nice FA pickup for the right price, but I don't see him being our #2 receiver

SteelersCanada
03-01-2013, 08:45 PM
Breaston would be a nice FA pickup for the right price, but I don't see him being our #2 receiver

I think Manny has that locked down.

SteelersCanada
03-02-2013, 01:55 PM
Report: Breaston considering knee procedure

Posted by Mike Florio

Well, perhaps we now know why receiver Steve Breaston has not signed with a new team since being cut by the Chiefs.

Per Adam Schefter of ESPN, Breaston is considering the so-called “Regenokine treatment” in Germany for a lingering knee problem.

Schefter writes that Breaston, who recently visited the Browns and Steelers, has “knee inflammation and early arthritic symptoms.”

The procedure entails removing a blood, incubating it at an elevated temperature, spinning it in a centrifuge to make a serum, and then injecting it to fight inflammation.

In leaking this info to the media, Breaston’s camp is walking a fine line between maintaining the impression that he can pass a physical without it and creating the perception that he could end up being even better if it works.

Indeed, Breaston, Schefter writes, believes the procedure isn’t needed. Breaston’s family and agent are pushing him to do it.

Regardless of whether he undergoes the procedure, he plans to keep trying to improve the knee. Which means that the knee, while possibly “fine,” isn’t 100 percent.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/02/report-breaston-considering-knee-procedure/

Fire Haley
03-02-2013, 02:10 PM
don't worry - the Breaston lovers will still want him even though he's a cripple

steeltheone
03-02-2013, 06:17 PM
I think Manny has that locked down.

Sanders has proved during Brown's absence he is nothing more than average.

Hawaii 5-0
03-02-2013, 09:27 PM
Report: Breaston considering knee procedure

Posted by Mike Florio on March 2, 2013

Well, perhaps we now know why receiver Steve Breaston has not signed with a new team since being cut by the Chiefs.

Per Adam Schefter of ESPN, Breaston is considering the so-called “Regenokine treatment” in Germany for a lingering knee problem.

Schefter writes that Breaston, who recently visited the Browns and Steelers, has “knee inflammation and early arthritic symptoms.”

The procedure entails removing blood, incubating it at an elevated temperature, spinning it in a centrifuge to make a serum, and then injecting it to fight inflammation.

In leaking this info to the media, Breaston’s camp is walking a fine line between maintaining the impression that he can pass a physical without it and creating the perception that he could end up being even better if it works.

Indeed, Breaston, Schefter writes, believes the procedure isn’t needed. Breaston’s family and agent are pushing him to do it.

Regardless of whether he undergoes the procedure, he plans to keep trying to improve the knee. Which means that the knee, while possibly “fine,” isn’t 100 percent.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/02/report-breaston-considering-knee-procedure/

SteelersCanada
03-02-2013, 09:31 PM
Sanders has proved during Brown's absence he is nothing more than average.

How so? Brown's absence was also marred by Ben's injury. Judging a Wide Receiver by the play of a second and third string Quarterback is a mistake. If he plays to his potential, he's the best receiver on this team. He needs to stop getting himself injured and stay on the field because when he's on the field, he's actually very talented.

I'm afraid his career will turn into a mess of injuries, though.

steeltheone
03-02-2013, 09:43 PM
How so? Brown's absence was also marred by Ben's injury. Judging a Wide Receiver by the play of a second and third string Quarterback is a mistake. If he plays to his potential, he's the best receiver on this team. He needs to stop getting himself injured and stay on the field because when he's on the field, he's actually very talented.

I'm afraid his career will turn into a mess of injuries, though.

Problem is he is a 1200 yard wideout with 6 td's in 3 years. He was not injured this year and still played like a free agent from a div 3 school.

44 catches for 650 yards and 1 td is not someone you want to depend on.

SteelersCanada
03-02-2013, 09:55 PM
Problem is he is a 1200 yard wideout with 6 td's in 3 years. He was not injured this year and still played like a free agent from a div 3 school.

44 catches for 650 yards and 1 td is not someone you want to depend on.

There's an argument to be made that for a third Wide Receiver, that's not bad. Especially since, ya know, the whole team was adopting a new playbook and even Roethlisberger struggled at times.

I think it's unreasonable to expect a guy like Sanders to put up 1000 yards when he's behind both Manny and Wallace. We ran quite a few 3 wide sets, granted, but he wasn't the third read. Wallace, Brown and Miller were the three targets ahead of him and, let's be honest here, one of those guys (probably Heath) is going to be open for the checkdown or in Heath's case, the TE streak.

Let's judge him now that he's going to be the second WR and the second read for Roethlisberger. If he puts up similar numbers and disappoints, then we can legitimately criticize him. Until then, I'm going to be lighter and more optimistic on this kids potential and ceiling than most are. He has the potential to be a 1200 + yard 10 TD receiver, he just needs to be given the opportunity and stay healthy. Both of those things haven't happened for him yet.

harrison'samonster
03-02-2013, 09:59 PM
Steelers Canada, I share your optimism for Sanders. I want to see what he does now that he will be on the field more. However, I do agree that he hasn't shown much yet, but he's still young.

SteelersCanada
03-02-2013, 10:05 PM
Steelers Canada, I share your optimism for Sanders. I want to see what he does now that he will be on the field more. However, I do agree that he hasn't shown much yet, but he's still young.

Oh, he's definitely not wrong. I'm just choosing to look at this Glass o' Manny as half full.