PDA

View Full Version : Steelers echoing Jets dysfunctional ways

GoFor7
02-21-2013, 04:44 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000143252/article/pittsburgh-steelers-echoing-new-york-jets-dysfunctional-ways

Pittsburgh Steelers echoing New York Jets' dysfunctional ways
By Adam Schein

Anonymous sources blasting teammates. ... Players apparently out of shape and not focused on winning. ... Defensive gurus exhibiting delusional behavior.

Your 2012 New York Jets? Nope. This is a sudden and stunning review of the state of affairs of the Pittsburgh Steelers. Members of this supposed model franchise are bickering, calling each other out, flocking to radio and television shows in a fashion that would make the Jets blush.

It's all pretty revealing and alarming.

An unnamed teammate recently told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that LaMarr Woodley was "awful" last season, mainly because "he wasn't in shape." Ryan Clark told NFL Network the unnamed commentary was "cowardly." Antonio Brown told ESPN that the Pittsburgh locker room was "divided."

Last season's 8-8 third-place finish in the AFC North was not a fluke. The Pittsburgh Steelers have real problems.

Mike Tomlin is a great coach, but he needs to regain the pulse of the team. Leaders have to step up this offseason.

The 2012 campaign was a topsy-turvy and tumultuous one for the Steelers. Receiver Mike Wallace's selfish and clueless contract dispute -- which didn't result in him gaining one extra penny -- set the tempo. After missing the offseason program, Wallace was ill-prepared for the new offense. He dropped passes and had a miserable -- and likely final -- season in Pittsburgh.

Running back Rashard Mendenhall was suspended for a game for not being a good teammate -- for essentially not giving a damn. After Ben Roethlisberger threw a decisive late-season pick against the Dallas Cowboys, a blame game with combustible offensive coordinator Todd Haley ensued. Troy Polamalu couldn't stay on the field. James Harrison and Woodley couldn't make a dent in the opposition's offensive line, let alone strike fear in opposing quarterbacks like they had in the past.

When they lost at home in Week 16 to the "little brother" Cincinnati Bengals, some thought it was an upset. I thought it was easy to predict.
Offseason Forecast: Steelers
Around The League examines what's next for all 32 NFL teams in 2013. Gregg Rosenthal tackles the Steelers. More ...

Forget the Super Bowl champion Baltimore Ravens; in the AFC North, the Bengals are better than the Steelers. They were better at this time last year, when the Steelers were licking their wounds after Tim Tebow and the Denver Broncos beat them in the playoffs; they were better in the preseason, when I picked Pittsburgh to finish third in the division; and they were better in Week 16.

Last season was not a mirage. There are personnel issues, chemistry issues. This team is living in the past.

The New York Giants, who also missed the playoffs, promptly shed three key veterans. Pittsburgh needs to follow suit and remake this team, fast.

Roethlisberger is a future Hall of Famer at quarterback. Now, tell me what else you like about the roster.

Yes, first-round pick David DeCastro, who was injured all year, should come back. But this offensive line had (and has) deeper issues.

General manager Kevin Colbert won't pay Wallace what he wants -- and he shouldn't, not with his ridiculous asking price. However, this means that in consecutive years, Pittsburgh's receiving corps is going to lose Hines Ward and Wallace. Tight end Heath Miller, meanwhile, is coming off a knee injury, carries a high cap number (almost $8 million) and could potentially be cut.

Mendenhall is unreliable on and off the field. I like Jonathan Dwyer, but is he the guy with whom to establish a running identity?

The Steelers' cornerback play has been poor for a while. Polamalu's consistent unavailability is a killer. Harrison is likely -- and rightly -- on his way out. Out of shape or not, Woodley had a miserable season.

As things stand now, Pittsburgh is destined for another frustrating campaign. Colbert must cut the cord on the past and eliminate the dead weight for 2013 and beyond. He shouldn't go into rebuilding mode, but the Steelers do need a bit of a makeover.

In that context, the comments made recently by defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau seem as if they came right out of the hyperbolic Rex Ryan playbook.

LeBeau told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review that the Steelers could've won the Super Bowl if, like the Ravens, they'd gotten good breaks with their health. That's disrespectful to the Ravens, who never saw cornerback Lardarius Webb return. It's also flat-out wrong.

Pittsburgh was flawed going into the season, with aging stars and a rare lack of talent, and conducted a failed chemistry experiment. Choosing Haley to run the offense while letting Bruce Arians go was a colossal mistake.

Hopefully for the great Steelers fans, Colbert doesn't listen to LeBeau. This team needs to change -- especially if it wants to keep up with the Cincinnati Bengals.

The_Joker
02-21-2013, 04:50 PM
We do NOT own the North. As of now, the Ravens do. The Bengals are right there with us, NOT at the top. BUT, unlike the Bengals, we HAVE and KNOW how to take down the Ravens.

10-6. I will repeat it over and over. Is it enough to win the North? We'll see.

SteelersCanada
02-21-2013, 05:05 PM
I don't know why, but Adam Schein never has anything nice to say about Pittsburgh. I think it's funny that he says he saw the Bengals loss coming in Week 16 but I think it's fair to say that we all saw AJ Green having a big game 'coming'. Ike wasn't in the lineup and it was painfully obvious that Troy was still injured. On top of that, we weren't getting any pressure from either OLB position. However, all of that was true the first time these two met in 2012 except Taylor not being active.

Ike held AJ to one catch for 8 yards. Then, when Ike wasn't in the game, AJ had a big game against a young and still developing Cortez Allen. Geez, that's great insight Adam.

He also says Miller has the potential to be cut. I'm not against this decision per se, but it isn't going to happen - not in a million years. Not when he's (perhaps) the fan favorite of that city. He's talking out of his ass and doing so for headlines. Him and Bouchette should have a beer and talk about how much the Steelers suck.

FrancoLambert
02-21-2013, 05:06 PM
Sad but true.

Colbert's got to nail this year's draft.

Tomlin's got to control the locker room.

If we don't get both we're in deep :poop: next year.

Steel_Bus_24
02-21-2013, 05:06 PM
Do the steelers need to make changes, you betcha

But that writer can get the f*** outta here with that....Respect the Ravens crap....Im sorry....did they lose Flacco or hell even Ray Rice for an extended period of time???

Don't even try to compare injuries....

Is Baltimore top-dog...sure...are they some unbeatable dynasty that has now made the Steelers their court jesters?????F**** No

GoFor7
02-21-2013, 05:30 PM
While not everything in the article is spot on, he's mostly right about the Steelers. They need to realize the Haley experiment was bad from the start. They need to realize they cannot hang on to veterans out of sentiment anymore. They need to embrace change instead of stubbornly resisting it.

harrison'samonster
02-21-2013, 05:38 PM
there are a couple lines in that article every member of the Steelers should read before they do their workout this off-season.

I do agree with Steel Bus 24 though - we lose our 1st and 3rd round pick to injury before the regular season, our two top defensive players are injured (one of them for almost the whole season). We played the revolving O-line game again, our starting RB wasn't even suppose to be on the field this season, our QB had a life threatening injury week 11, and our iron-man top CB gets injured when the season was on the line. Our #1 WR sat out during camp and played not to get injured. At the beginning of the season Foote said that defensive players weren't buying into the scheme. By the end of the season it seems the locker-room wasn't all together on much. We still missed the playoffs by 3 points against the Bengals.

Whatever's happened has happened. This is the start of the next season and we will see if the Steelers have the players to come back from a bad year.

pittpete
02-21-2013, 05:42 PM
The sky is falling after an 8-8 season wow?

harrison'samonster
02-21-2013, 05:44 PM
While not everything in the article is spot on, he's mostly right about the Steelers. They need to realize the Haley experiment was bad from the start. They need to realize they cannot hang on to veterans out of sentiment anymore. They need to embrace change instead of stubbornly resisting it.

I don't agree with you on the Haley comment. the Offense was moving along until the KC game. Afterword when the O-line and running game collapsed the offense went to a crawl. Haley didn't turn the ball over 8 times against Cleveland.

I do agree with the mood of the article. The Steelers, including the players, need to be doing everything they can to make this team better this season.

Riddle_Of_Steel
02-21-2013, 05:50 PM
Choosing Haley to run the offense while letting Bruce Arians go was a colossal mistake.

Agree with everything you wrote except for this ^^^^.

I think you have a very short memory-- showing Bruce Arians the door was the best coaching move they have made in years. I am GLAD as HELL I do not have to see anymore of that 5-wide on 3rd down and 1 crappola anymore. No more refusal to use a Fullback. No more trying for the homerun when a 5 yard pickup would keep the drive going.

We were naive to think there would be no hiccups in implementing an offense that differs so drastically from the previous one, but I think Haley was the right move, BY FAR, for the future and moving forward.

With an extra year of familiarity with the system, the shedding of a contract-hungry showboat, a retooled ground game, an improved Oline, and a hungry attitude, this offense should be a machine by this next season's opener. I have no problems with Bruce Arians and am glad for his success with Indy, but no offense-- I am glad he is NOT on our sidelines anymore.

casteeler
02-21-2013, 05:50 PM
We do NOT own the North. As of now, the Ravens do. The Bengals are right there with us, NOT at the top. BUT, unlike the Bengals, we HAVE and KNOW how to take down the Ravens.

10-6. I will repeat it over and over. Is it enough to win the North? We'll see.

The Bengals are right there with us? How? Their Offensive line is better,better running game,far better defensive line and while Dalton isn't Ben atleast he can go a season without missing 4-5 games. The Steelers are in uncharted waters, way over cap and unsure at almost every position except QB and that doesn't include the fact that as of now the Steelers have NO backup for WHEN and not IF Ben is injured during the 2013-2014 season. The Steelers stand 3rd in the division and no one here can make a valid argument that they are superior to an improving Browns club. The past is gone and the Steelers face a scary,uncertain future. The Steelers could win the North (hopefully) or they could come in dead last. I love my Steelers but my black and gold glasses are off and I'm being realistic

teegre
02-21-2013, 05:53 PM
The Bengals game... a game where the offense gave the Bengals a pick-six (7 points) and another turnover set up a FG (3 points). So, Shein saw the Bengals beating the Steelers... even though the defense only gave up 3 points??? What a crock.

Big Ben was an MVP candidate. The team was rolling. Several analysts were marking Pittsburgh as their SuperBowl pick. And, then, "the injury." Shein discounts the importance of BB... which, again, is a crock. Losing Big Ben ruined the season. Period. I'm getting tired of people trying to say that other teams had injuries, too... because, losing BB is equal to losing Brees, Brady, or Manning... BB is the team (despite what Shein thinks).

The in-fighting needs to stop being aired. Anyone who knows football knows that fighting happens (albeit, not to this degree). BUT, when it does, it stays in house.
THAT, I agree with.

Riddle_Of_Steel
02-21-2013, 05:56 PM
I don't agree with you on the Haley comment. the Offense was moving along until the KC game. Afterword when the O-line and running game collapsed the offense went to a crawl. Haley didn't turn the ball over 8 times against Cleveland.

Bingo.

Haley's playcalling and scheme was one of the few bright spots in a tarnished season.

harrison'samonster
02-21-2013, 06:12 PM
The Bengals are right there with us? How? Their Offensive line is better,better running game,far better defensive line and while Dalton isn't Ben atleast he can go a season without missing 4-5 games. The Steelers are in uncharted waters, way over cap and unsure at almost every position except QB and that doesn't include the fact that as of now the Steelers have NO backup for WHEN and not IF Ben is injured during the 2013-2014 season. The Steelers stand 3rd in the division and no one here can make a valid argument that they are superior to an improving Browns club. The past is gone and the Steelers face a scary,uncertain future. The Steelers could win the North (hopefully) or they could come in dead last. I love my Steelers but my black and gold glasses are off and I'm being realistic

I understand your position. The Steelers had a lot of failures this past season. But as of now they are 0-0 and are working at putting a competitive team together. I have faith that they will be competing for the division title this year and as of now I see no reason to think they will be as bad as 8-8.

The other teams in our division are definitely looking good in the trenches. All of our division games are close, hard fought games. That's not going to change this year. If we can win the turnover battle and stay healthy, I see no reason to believe that they are any better than the Steelers.

tanda10506
02-21-2013, 06:45 PM
First off, it's nothing like the Jets, period. We do need a damn good draft and we need at key defensive positions, and the vets mentioned are likely on the way out, but that article was an attempted "I told you so" from a guy who probably watched 3 Steelers games last year. POS media never gives us our due, but if we have one down year they are quick to jump on it. It may be a few years away, but the next SB win is going to feel damn good.

steelfury02
02-21-2013, 07:29 PM
yea, we were all feeling pretty good at 5-3 after just putting on a nice showing and beatin the defending champs in their house and managed to get out of the KC game at 6-3, barely got beat by Bmore with Leftwich under center, and beat the Ravens in their place with Charlie Batch. I'd say there are some bright spots among all the bad things happening.

injuries happened - its one thing to lose a linemen here and a defensive player there

its another thing to lose your QB, and well - I don't need to go down the line . . .

Haley's scheme is the least of my concerns - getting leaders to step up along with Tomlin and right this ship, while many think this is an intangible thing - is probably the most important part - if we can get leaders and get guys to buy in - our guys can turn it around

Don't give up on things before the season starts. As much as I've been griping - I'd like to think that some new guys will emerge and that this 8-8 might be the wake up call they need. If it doesn't happen - then there are even bigger fish to fry . . .

GoFor7
02-21-2013, 08:21 PM

I think you have a very short memory-- showing Bruce Arians the door was the best coaching move they have made in years. I am GLAD as HELL I do not have to see anymore of that 5-wide on 3rd down and 1 crappola anymore. No more refusal to use a Fullback. No more trying for the homerun when a 5 yard pickup would keep the drive going.

We were naive to think there would be no hiccups in implementing an offense that differs so drastically from the previous one, but I think Haley was the right move, BY FAR, for the future and moving forward.

With an extra year of familiarity with the system, the shedding of a contract-hungry showboat, a retooled ground game, an improved Oline, and a hungry attitude, this offense should be a machine by this next season's opener. I have no problems with Bruce Arians and am glad for his success with Indy, but no offense-- I am glad he is NOT on our sidelines anymore.

Aww. Poor baby upset that all the writers don't just cheer lead the Steelers all the time? Boo hoo.

I think a lot of the hate coming from this thread is because most of what this guy writes is true. The Steelers are way more dysfunctional than yinzer nation wants to accept.

steeltheone
02-21-2013, 09:14 PM
Like Tomlin or not, He is not a " Big DickHead " like Rex Ryan

harrison'samonster
02-21-2013, 09:18 PM
Aww. Poor baby upset that all the writers don't just cheer lead the Steelers all the time? Boo hoo.

I think a lot of the hate coming from this thread is because most of what this guy writes is true. The Steelers are way more dysfunctional than yinzer nation wants to accept.

is this about Haley "handcuffing" Ben?

teegre
02-21-2013, 09:33 PM

Ya, ya, ya... you don't think losing BB was a big deal. We get it. Us dumb Yinzers don't know nothin'.

Us dumb Yinzers will just keep being stupid believers that BB's injury did in fact majorly derail the season... (despite what you or Shein or whomever thinks).

TheVet
02-21-2013, 11:43 PM

If in fact it was a coaching move. But the evidence seems to suggest that the move was made by ownership, pulling rank on the head coach. In other words, the Rooneys took control of a head coaching problem and fixed it. It took two seasons longer than it should have, but the Rooneys are a patient sort.

tony hipchest
02-21-2013, 11:44 PM
I think a lot of the hate coming from this thread is because most of what this guy writes is true. The Steelers are way more dysfunctional than yinzer nation wants to accept.:rolleyes:

Ya, ya, ya... you don't think losing BB was a big deal. We get it. Us dumb Yinzers don't know nothin'.

Us dumb Yinzers will just keep being stupid believers that BB's injury did in fact majorly derail the season... (despite what you or Shein or whomever thinks).

i listen to schein's show for about 3 hours every day on sirius radio ("blitz" on ch. 88) for the past 6 years. Gofer7 obviously hasnt.

adam has been picking the steelers to go 7-9 and finish 3rd in the division for the past 4 years for all his "brilliant" observations Gofer applauds him for in the article above.

Adam has been hosting his show wearing a sling for the past 8 weeks due to a shoulder separation from patting himself on the back for FINALLY getting a prediction right.

great show. great hosts. great guests. good analysis. but adam is nothing more than a typical talking head "analyst" with a fantastic voice meant for radio/television.

teegre
02-22-2013, 12:01 AM
:rolleyes:

i listen to schein's show for about 3 hours every day on sirius radio ("blitz" on ch. 88) for the past 6 years. Gofer7 obviously hasnt.

adam has been picking the steelers to go 7-9 and finish 3rd in the division for the past 4 years for all his "brilliant" observations Gofer applauds him for in the article above.

Adam has been hosting his show wearing a sling for the past 8 weeks due to a shoulder separation from patting himself on the back for FINALLY getting a prediction right.

great show. great hosts. great guests. good analysis. but adam is nothing more than a typical talking head "analyst" with a fantastic voice meant for radio/television.

So, what you're saying is that "a broken clock... "

Lady Steel
02-22-2013, 12:29 AM
Like Tomlin or not, He is not a " Big DickHead " like Rex Ryan

As far as I know, Tomlin doesn't have a foot fetish either. :huh:

teegre
02-22-2013, 12:39 AM
As far as I know, Tomlin doesn't have a foot fetish either. :huh:

True. Rex is never afraid to put a foot in his mouth.

He's also not afraid of saying something stupid. :wink02:

jb500ex
02-22-2013, 05:32 AM
So, what you're saying is that "a broken clock... "

And he's been right two out of four years we missed the playoffs. Looking for three out of five

wwhickok
02-22-2013, 07:01 AM
I read this article when I got up this morning, I posted a thread with my thoughts on another board, here are those thoughts:

I think most of us can agree that our team severely lacks leadership. We need someone to stay up and take the bull by the horns; Adam Schein’s makes some interesting points. The article talks about the issues that have occurred not just in 2012 season but also the 2011 season. Since the 2011 season we’ve lost Ward and are about to lose Wallace, two receivers in two seasons. We led this season with all kinds of drama from Mike Wallace, who went on to have a rather disappointing season despite catching 8 TDs. Most recently we’ve heard someone call out LaMarr Woodley, Dick LeBeau suggest we could’ve won the super bowl, Antonio Brown suggest the locker room is divided, and during the season Rashard Mendenhall was suspended for ‘disrespecting the team’. On top of that our future Hall of Fame Quarterback called out the Offensive Coordinator, more than once.

Now, in this article there are some things I disagree with Schein on, such as the idea that injuries had nothing to do with where we finished this season. Such as the Bengals being a better football team than the Steelers, and the notion that we will cut ties with Heath Miller. I just don’t see that happening honestly, though I do think that we will cut Harrison and Hampton. The biggest thing I agree with is that Kevin Colbert has to stop living in the past. Ties need to be cut with some of the veterans; we shouldn’t go into rebuilding mode but we’ve got to become a younger football team and we need the veterans we do keep to step up and be leaders.

Many of these problems can be stemmed back to the lack of leadership, the loss of Farrior, Ward, Aaron Smith, etc. It won’t get any easier as Polamalu is not the man he once was, Ryan Clark is probably going to be heading into his last season with the Steelers, James Harrison likely won’t be on the roster, Woodley is seriously out of shape, Ike Taylor may have a couple seasons left, Keisel, if he remains, will likely be on his last season as a Steeler and we’re all pretty sure Hampton won’t be back.
I don’t think we’re as bad off as the article by Schein makes us sound but I’m also not going to ignore the fact that there are issues. We are a young defense and healthy, consistent offensive line away from winning our 7th Super Bowl, so I don’t believe what LeBeau said is far-fetched at all. I also don’t believe the Ravens are THAT much better than us.

I agree with some of the people who said that we cannot fix all of our issues in a single draft, that couldn’t be more true. But we have to have a solid draft this season and need to have another solid draft the next time around. Colbert, while he has done a relatively solid job with early picks, has to do better overall with ALL the picks in our draft. There are going to be misses, that’s unavoidable, especially in later rounds, but we’ve got to end up with more hits than misses, something that could be argued in the last few seasons.

Tomlin has to get control of this team, get rid of the drama, and reestablish discipline. Undisciplined teams will not win very often..just look at the New York Jets; the comparison made in the aforementioned article.

Heading forward, I am very confident about what level of success we are going to have; I’ve said that in several threads. I truly bleed black and gold and I’ll always believe that we’re headed into our best season yet even if, in the end, it doesn’t work out that way. We do have a lot of youth, if Worilds works out; we’re not as bad off at LB as we could be. If Gilbert finally comes around perhaps our Offensive Line will finally gain some consistency. There are things, such as the Strength & Conditioning Coach that I would change, but it’s not my decision. At the end of the day, it’s not hard to realize that the lack of leadership spawns chaos. We need people to step up, we’re close to breaking through to the ‘new era’ of Pittsburgh football, but we could be as close to nailing shut our own coffin.

VaDave
02-22-2013, 07:20 AM
My goodness. We had an 8-8 season....... what an abject failure. I can see all of this angst if we were repeatedly 4-12..... just one 8-8 season has everybody from the the Owners box down to lunch bucket Charlie sitting at his computer hacking at his computer, bemoaning it.

Look, this is the best run football team in America, with a 40 year track record to prove it. Like it or not, this is a cyclical business, and fellas, we 're reloading. Nothing more, and it's going to take time. Deal with it.

As far as I can tell, unless Goodell ruins the game, or it all moves to Xbox for safety reasons, there will be professional football played 40 years from now, and If I were a betting man, over those 40 years, we'll be the one with best record.

So, please, relax, think pleasant thoughts, and stop listening to the talking heads who's job it is to p*ss you off.

wwhickok
02-22-2013, 07:31 AM
My goodness. We had an 8-8 season....... what an abject failure. I can see all of this angst if we were repeatedly 4-12..... just one 8-8 season has everybody from the the Owners box down to lunch bucket Charlie sitting at his computer hacking at his computer, bemoaning it.

Look, this is the best run football team in America, with a 40 year track record to prove it. Like it or not, this is a cyclical business, and fellas, we 're reloading. Nothing more, and it's going to take time. Deal with it.

As far as I can tell, unless Goodell ruins the game, or it all moves to Xbox for safety reasons, there will be professional football played 40 years from now, and If I were a betting man, over those 40 years, we'll be the one with best record.

So, please, relax, think pleasant thoughts, and stop listening to the talking heads who's job it is to p*ss you off.

While I appreciate your point and as I stated in my post there is plenty of optimism to take away from this season, you're being very naive if you don't think there are issues with this football team.

teegre
02-22-2013, 07:55 AM
And he's been right two out of four years we missed the playoffs. Looking for three out of five

...and two of the last five years, the Steelers have been to the SuperBowl.

VaDave
02-22-2013, 08:03 AM
While I appreciate your point and as I stated in my post there is plenty of optimism to take away from this season, you're being very naive if you don't think there are issues with this football team.

Bettter yet, name one team that doesn't have issues.....

Of couse we got issues, and some are great. The biggest is an overall lack of talent competitively speaking. And that trend will continue until we get players playing better, either with new ones with more talent, or the ones we have improve. Unfortunately, that process takes time. Exactly the amount of time Steeler Nation has apparently decided is unacceptable.

wwhickok
02-22-2013, 08:17 AM
Bettter yet, name one team that doesn't have issues.....

Of couse we got issues, and some are great. The biggest is an overall lack of talent competitively speaking. And that trend will continue until we get players playing better, either with new ones with more talent, or the ones we have improve. Unfortunately, that process takes time. Exactly the amount of time Steeler Nation has apparently decided is unacceptable.

I left the 2012office season feeling satisfied so don't speak for me when you suggest what "the Steeler Nation" finds unacceptable.

Furthermore..Im a Steeler fan, I don't care about anyone elses' issues. Yes it takes time, it takes leadership, and it takes good decisions. But don't sit here and tell me i am one of those people throwing in the towel. I might be the only person on most forums(or one of the few) that had the balls to say we are going to win the divison for the next two seasons. I feel that way because A) Im not too blinded with homerism and naivety to admit we have some potentially major issues. B) I am smart enough to realize that despite the fact I dont always agree with the decision making it always seems to wotk oit for the best, and C) We probably were a couple healthy players and wins away from winning this years Super Bowl.

Plus WE'RE THAT DAMN GOOD!

teegre
02-22-2013, 08:39 AM
wwchickok,

Not to be argumentative, but you point out the biggest Catch-22. People wanted to cut Smith, Ward, and Farrior (rightfully so, because they were not longer effective)... but, these same people complain about losing leader ship.

Now, people want more leadership, but simultaneously want to cut Harrison, Polamalu, & Clark.

It's a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" type of scenario.

It would be great if someone else (BB, Pouncey) took the reins... but, simply, they just don't seem like the "leader" type. They are great players, but they don't have that "Listen up!!" type of disposition.

Anyway, like I posted before, the in-fighting, or more importantly, talking to the media about the in-fighting, needs to stop. That is a valid point. But, if not for BB's injury, Shein would have been dead wrong about this season.

VaDave
02-22-2013, 08:57 AM
[QUOTE=wwhickok;1086730]I left the 2012office season feeling satisfied so don't speak for me when you suggest what "the Steeler Nation" finds unacceptable.

Furthermore..Im a Steeler fan, I don't care about anyone elses' issues. Yes it takes time, it takes leadership, and it takes good decisions. But don't sit here and tell me i am one of those people throwing in the towel. I might be the only person on most forums(or one of the few) that had the balls to say we are going to win the divison for the next two seasons. I feel that way because A) Im not too blinded with homerism and naivety to admit we have some potentially major issues. B) I am smart enough to realize that despite the fact I dont always agree with the decision making it always seems to wotk oit for the best, and C) We probably were a couple healthy players and wins away from winning this years Super Bowl.

Plus WE'RE THAT DAMN GOOD![/QUOTE

There is no reason to take any responses from me personally. I did not single you out, my comments were and have been directed at Steeler Nation at large. For the most part I'm on board with you. I agree with we are short one of two players from a championship.... but that was last season.

With us losing as many as 15-20 players this year, and looking at another 20 contracts expiring after the 2013 season, don't you think we may be more than one or two players away from a championship going forward? Seriously, where are these replacements going to come from? You only have 7 draft picks, and with our FA budget at about $0, that is an issue. It is a huge issue, and probably the biggest one we have.

Looking forward to this coming season however, our D isn't shabby, and if we get any sort of consistent line play on O, we're going to be a tough out as long as Ben doesn't turn the ball over in crunch time.

harrison'samonster
02-22-2013, 08:57 AM
Furthermore..Im a Steeler fan, I don't care about anyone elses' issues.

i appreciate your optimism, but I disagree with your attitude toward other teams' problems. Understanding that every team has such problems puts our own issues in context.

VaDave
02-22-2013, 09:00 AM
wwchickok,

Not to be argumentative, but you point out the biggest Catch-22. People wanted to cut Smith, Ward, and Farrior (rightfully so, because they were not longer effective)... but, these same people complain about losing leader ship.

Now, people want more leadership, but simultaneously want to cut Harrison, Polamalu, & Clark.

It's a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" type of scenario.

It would be great if someone else (BB, Pouncey) took the reins... but, simply, they just don't seem like the "leader" type. They are great players, but they don't have that "Listen up!!" type of disposition.

Anyway, like I posted before, the in-fighting, or more importantly, talking to the media about the in-fighting, needs to stop. That is a valid point. But, if not for BB's injury, Shein would have been dead wrong about this season.

No to mention the accumulation of injuries on the OL, I knew it was over when we had a game when Foster played 3 different positions lol.......

wwhickok
02-22-2013, 09:23 AM
Dave, I assure you i didnt take it personally, simply stressing where i stand. In thethe long run, we arehave definitely morefair than athe couple guyshealthy away. Im nota predicitng a SuperSteeler Bowl win. But lookthe at the Colts for instance, no one is going to argue that they have an allstar cast and they still madeam the playoffs with a very good Qb. Teegre, very good points. Harrison i look at it from the point of view of others' situatiins not ultimately controlling ours.

Buddha Bus
02-22-2013, 10:04 AM
Hines Ward: Pittsburgh Steelers are in 'total disarray'
By Kevin Patra NFL.com
Published: Feb. 22, 2013 at 09:56 a.m. Updated: Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:30 a.m.

After an unnamed teammate blasted LaMarr Woodley in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, saying the linebacker was "awful" and out of shape, a popular motif explaining the fracture was that the Pittsburgh Steelers lost too many veteran leaders from the previous seasons.

One of those leaders, Hines Ward, who retired after the Steelers decided not bring him back for the 2012 season, told "NFL AM" Friday morning those quotes wouldn't have come out of the locker rooms he was part of.

"When you lose so much leadership in the locker room, that's when things present itself like that," Ward said. "Guys start finger-pointing, calling out other guys. That is not the Steeler way. We've always had a rule: We are a band of brothers. We've always collectively kept everything in house. ... But there was no finger-pointing and calling each other out. That's a total disarray, a locker room in disarray."

(Read More and Watch Interview:) http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000143695/article/hines-ward-pittsburgh-steelers-are-in-total-disarray

__________________________________________________ _____________

This is part of the reason I wanted Ward to stick around for one more year. I realize his production had fallen off greatly, but his leadership was invaluable to this team. Same with Farrior. The leadership void is the biggest problem facing the Steelers right now. If a couple of guys can step up and assume that role effectively next year, I think they can rebound and get back to being a championship caliber team. Guys like Ben, Troy, Clark, Miller, Brown, and Woodley (as long as he starts taking things more seriously and gets himself in shape first) should be the ones taking the reins of this team right now.

VaDave
02-22-2013, 10:50 AM
Dave, I assure you i didnt take it personally, simply stressing where i stand. In thethe long run, we arehave definitely morefair than athe couple guyshealthy away. Im nota predicitng a SuperSteeler Bowl win. But lookthe at the Colts for instance, no one is going to argue that they have an allstar cast and they still madeam the playoffs with a very good Qb. Teegre, very good points. Harrison i look at it from the point of view of others' situatiins not ultimately controlling ours.

Ww cooll!!

VaDave
02-22-2013, 10:54 AM
. But lookthe at the Colts for instance, no one is going to argue that they have an allstar cast .

Must have been the coach..... LOL!!!!

Seriously, the margin of victory is thin, and as you said, one or two players.... or better yet, one or two plays over a season of over a thousand, can cause it to go down the drain.

harrison'samonster
02-22-2013, 11:01 AM

Seriously, the margin of victory is thin, and as you said, one or two players.... or better yet, one or two plays over a season of over a thousand, can cause it to go down the drain.

I agree about the margin of victory. All it takes is one or a few players to be out of synch with the team, or just a few bone-headed mistakes in key situations and a competitive team goes to .500.

ebsteelers
02-22-2013, 11:41 AM
0-16 here we come..

everyone panic

wwhickok
02-22-2013, 11:47 AM
I agree about the margin of victory. All it takes is one or a few players to be out of synch with the team, or just a few bone-headed mistakes in key situations and a competitive team goes to .500.

I agree with you both 100%. That was essentially what I was suggesting. I realize I am likely 'overright confident'. I am just at piece with that.

wwhickok
02-22-2013, 11:51 AM

Lol no thats not what I meant. Im just saying that we have a better QB and as many 'stars' give or take, though theyre a fairly young team and we arent. But theyre a good example of not needing to be the best to have success. Good Coaching doesnt hurt ;).

stb_steeler
02-22-2013, 12:49 PM

They also need to quit bringing old players back....

Fire Arians
02-22-2013, 01:06 PM
come on man

we aint that bad till we start trading draft picks for tim tebow

Buddha Bus
02-22-2013, 01:55 PM
The only way we pull out of this tailspin is to fire Colbert and hire Matt Millen stat!

:sarcalert:

ebsteelers
02-22-2013, 02:13 PM
the way this board acts sometimes you would of thought we were 2-14 last year and everyone was healthy.

we were a play or 2 here and there from being in the playoffs. qb was hurt back half of the year.

settled down everybody.

the anonymous team for all we know was the writer trying to make a store.

shyt i could be the anoymous source talking trash about about lamarr softley

pczach
02-22-2013, 02:28 PM
the way this board acts sometimes you would of thought we were 2-14 last year and everyone was healthy.

we were a play or 2 here and there from being in the playoffs. qb was hurt back half of the year.

settled down everybody.

the anonymous team for all we know was the writer trying to make a store.

shyt i could be the anoymous source talking trash about about lamarr softley

Are you out of your mind? You're asking this fanbase to be REASONABLE! It's much easier to overreact and panic simultaneously. :chuckle:

harrison'samonster
02-22-2013, 02:29 PM
Are you out of your mind? You're asking this fanbase to be REASONABLE! It's much easier to overreact and panic simultaneously. :chuckle:

not only is it easier, but it's more fun as well!

pczach
02-22-2013, 02:36 PM
not only is it easier, but it's more fun as well!

:sofunny:

GoFor7
02-22-2013, 03:20 PM
Clark and Brown are making this a lot worse than it is by continuing to speak to the media about it. Should the unnamed played have spoken in the first place? Maybe not, but he was right about Woodley. And Clark and Brown talking about it just brings more negativity to the locker room.

As for Hines, he's in the media and can say whatever he wants. I just think he comes off as a hypocrite because he called out Ben for not playing through a concussion.

teegre
02-22-2013, 03:25 PM
Clark and Brown are making this a lot worse than it is by continuing to speak to the media about it. Should the unnamed played have spoken in the first place? Maybe not, but he was right about Woodley. And Clark and Brown talking about it just brings more negativity to the locker room.

As for Hines, he's in the media and can say whatever he wants. I just think he comes off as a hypocrite because he called out Ben for not playing through a concussion.

Mark this date down: we are in agreement... especially that last part (I remember being like, "Really Hines?").

harrison'samonster
02-22-2013, 03:26 PM

I agree at this point, it's time for them to stop talking about problems to the media. I appreciated it when Clark came out and backed up Woodley, but now it's time for them to handle it all by themselves.

steelcity1974
02-22-2013, 05:11 PM

Spot on.