PDA

View Full Version : Ben and shrewd GM make Steelers impossible to count out

Atlanta Dan
02-21-2013, 09:25 PM
Pete Prisco from CBS Sports.com apparently did not get the memo that the Steelers are doomed

Big Ben and shrewd GM make Steelers impossible to count out

They are a non-playoff team that plays in a division with the Super Bowl winner. Even worse, they are an aging team, saddled by cap problems with several holes to fill.

The Pittsburgh Steelers, you might say, have issues.

That you can't deny. But they have two things that should make the loud, vocal and wide-ranging Steelers Nation feel good about this team and where it might be in 2013.

They have Ben Roethlisberger and Kevin Colbert.

When you have a franchise quarterback like Roethlisberger and a general manager like Colbert, one of the NFL's best talent evaluators, there is no need to panic. ...

Roethlisberger is good enough to keep this team a true Super Bowl contender despite the cap issues and age on the roster.

Give me a franchise quarterback and a shrewd talent evaluator and I will take my chances every single season, which is why the Steelers aren't fading away like some would make you think.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/21743359/big-ben-and-shrewd-gm-make-steelers-impossible-to-count-out

harrison'samonster
02-21-2013, 09:36 PM
that writer obviously doesn't read this board. I don't think there are as many big problems with this team as some others do. There is nothing wrong with the Steelers that can't be fixed by what's right with the Steelers.

It all starts with Big Ben. Give him a consistent O-line and let them progress throughout the season. We will be competing for the SB with Ben as our QB.

teegre
02-21-2013, 09:39 PM
Exactly.

My mantra has been: "Is BB still playing? Yes... then the Steelers have a shot a winning the championship."

Side-note: The Steelers were counted out after the 2003 season... and after the 2006 season... and after the SuperBowls... and at the beginning of the 2008 & 2010 seasons... and mid-way through several other seasons... and even on Christmas, Valentine's Day, and Yom Kippur. Gotta love the off-season.

Anyway... a nice, rationale article.

TheVet
02-21-2013, 11:38 PM
Colbert might be a shrewd talent evaluator, but he's on a somewhat cold streak.

bornaSteelersfan
02-22-2013, 06:21 AM
Being able to find talent is great and all. However, finding talent that also has the drive, commitment, skill, and team philosophy needed to be a great player is extremely difficult to find. He has failed quite a bit on that.

VaDave
02-22-2013, 08:07 AM
that writer obviously doesn't read this board. I don't think there are as many big problems with this team as some others do. There is nothing wrong with the Steelers that can't be fixed by what's right with the Steelers.

It all starts with Big Ben. Give him a consistent O-line and let them progress throughout the season. We will be competing for the SB with Ben as our QB.

Amen of the OL. A Good OL solves a lot of issues. A great OL can drive a team to a championship.

Contrary to popular belief, our deffense is not too shabby. If we have any sort of stable offensive production, we are going to be a tough out.

wwhickok
02-22-2013, 08:18 AM
2013-2014 & 2014-2015 AFC NORTH CHAMPIONS! You heard it here first!

steelfury02
02-22-2013, 12:26 PM
Colbert might be a shrewd talent evaluator, but he's on a somewhat cold streak.

if we have another bad season with the same attitude problems, more problem players through the draft, and no new guys stepping up their game after being on the team for 2-4 season, then yea - I think the guy could be in trouble

stb_steeler
02-22-2013, 12:43 PM
A little more help on the O-line and some leadership and we'll be fine....

GoFor7
02-22-2013, 03:17 PM
Not waiting until the last 2 minutes to use Ben will help the Steelers out a lot next year.