PDA

View Full Version : Marcus Lattimore way ahead of schedule in bid to play this year

fer522
02-21-2013, 09:31 PM
What do you guys think is he worth a R2 pick?

PENSACOLA, Fla. Marcus Lattimore shocked his world-renowned surgeon, not only with an unprecedented speedy recovery from a complete knee rebuild but with his first words after the complex November surgery.

The former University of South Carolina star expressed two concerns to James Andrews on Nov. 2 following the 2-hour surgery to piece together the shredded ligaments of the running back's right knee.

First he wanted to know if they were able to fix all the damage (torn ACL, LCL and PCL) he suffered six days prior in the ninth game of his junior season. They had.

Next, Lattimore wanted to get to work on his environmental science homework, due online that night.

"He said, 'I've got to get my assignment in by midnight tonight,' "recalls Andrews, "I was laughing. I've never had an athlete wake up from major knee surgery and worry about the classroom. That tells you something about the kid, right?"

At the Andrews Institute, the doctor's staff would learn much more about Lattimore. The 21-year-old was determined to turn the second major knee injury of his career into the next great NFL comeback story. Andrews says he's three months ahead of schedule in his recovery and has gained 20 pounds of muscle. The surgeon maintains it's possible Lattimore could play in 2013.

OPTIMISTIC APPROACH: Lattimore believes he will play in 2013

"I want to be an inspiration," Lattimore tells USA TODAY Sports. "To let people know that with hard work, and when you trust in God, you can come back from anything and do anything."

'I know he's not afraid'

As South Carolina won its final three regular season games to finish 11-2, Lattimore weighed his options. If he stayed in school, he could restore his once-booming draft stock. If he declared himself pro eligible, he could finish the semester and spend the next few months at the Andrews Institute and the Athletes' Performance facility, with his agent footing the bill. It could mean less money if and when he was drafted.

In his mind, there was no if.

"I wanted to come down because I knew the reputation they had with guys with knee injuries," Lattimore says. "If I had stayed in school I wouldn't have been able to come down here and get the best treatment in the world and be ready to go."

But Lattimore wasn't thinking football when he awoke following surgery: That online quiz was done 30 minutes before the midnight deadline.

"I don't remember doing it," says Lattimore, grinning beneath a black skull cap covering corn-rowed hair.

By then, Lattimore had ditched a desire to quit the game after tearing an ACL for the second time in little more than a year. His sophomore season ended with a major, yet far less serious knee injury.

"The day I got hurt again, I said, I know I'm done," he says. "Those first two weeks after surgery, it's hurting every day. You can't sleep. You're by yourself a lot. I knew I didn't want to go through that again."

read more

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/02/19/james-andrews-marcus-lattimore-rehab-ahead-of-schedule/1930953/

harrison'samonster
02-21-2013, 09:39 PM
sounds like a great guy. It breaks your heart to hear about somebody who's worked so hard and is about to make it all count and then an injury like this almost takes it away. Glad to see he's recovering.

teegre
02-21-2013, 09:51 PM
It breaks your heart to hear about somebody who's worked so hard and is about to make it all count and then an injury like this almost takes it away.

TWICE. :banging:

zcoop
02-21-2013, 09:58 PM
sounds like a great guy. It breaks your heart to hear about somebody who's worked so hard and is about to make it all count and then an injury like this almost takes it away. Glad to see he's recovering.

This kid is special, I've met him a few times and know some of his people. I'm a Gamecock as well and hope that he can persevere. God knows he deserves a shot at it.

teegre
02-22-2013, 12:20 AM
At the beginning of the last college season, were three players that I wanted to become Steelers, and thus, I watched as many of their games as possible:
Matt Elam, Florida
Tavon Austin, WVU
Marcus Lattimore, SCar

I was crushed when that injury happened.

I guess that the "silver lining" is that now, if things pan out perfectly, the Steelers could now get all three: the Steelers could still get Lattimore in R3... my gut tells me that Austin might drop far enough into R2 for the Steelers to snag him... and, Elam at 17 would complete the trifecta (although, admittedly, 17 is too high for Elam).

Anyway... looking at the bright side of life. (Right, Terry Gilliam?)

Hawaii 5-0
02-22-2013, 01:31 AM
Round 2 is way too early to take this kind of a risk on a guy who may not even be able to play this year, we need immediate impact guys. I would not pick him before Round 4....

Quackjack
02-22-2013, 04:32 AM
Round 3

Steeldude
02-22-2013, 05:43 AM
Two back to back knee injuries? Maybe if he is available in the 5th

austinfrench76
02-22-2013, 01:12 PM
I agree with the 3rd round. This kid is a beast but it would be much more surprising if he doesn't get hurt again than if he has a 3-4 year run in the league. Seems like he loves the game too! Why can't the a-holes get hurt!?!?!

casteeler
02-22-2013, 01:21 PM
Two back to back knee injuries? Maybe if he is available in the 5th

Knee injuries are tough on someone that relies on explosiveness to play his position

pczach
02-22-2013, 02:34 PM
I love this kid. Everything I've ever heard about him or heard him say himself has been first class all the way. I want to see him get his chance, but 2nd round is too high with his injury history. I've said this a few time on the board already, but would love to see the Steelers get Lattimore and Michael Mauti from Penn State. These guys can play when healthy and are absolute leaders and character guys. Something this team can use right now. Best of luck to both these kids. They'd look great in Black n' Gold.

boomboomboom
02-22-2013, 05:54 PM
I would be concerned about two draft picks with late knee injuries. I like both players too, but it seems to me that taking these players early would be too much risk... 4th and 6th round maybe.

I love this kid. Everything I've ever heard about him or heard him say himself has been first class all the way. I want to see him get his chance, but 2nd round is too high with his injury history. I've said this a few time on the board already, but would love to see the Steelers get Lattimore and Michael Mauti from Penn State. These guys can play when healthy and are absolute leaders and character guys. Something this team can use right now. Best of luck to both these kids. They'd look great in Black n' Gold.

PhantomJB93
02-22-2013, 05:56 PM
I would be concerned about two draft picks with late knee injuries. I like both players too, but it seems to me that taking these players early would be too much risk... 4th and 6th round maybe.

Mauti will go late but it sounds more and more like Lattimore will require a 3rd or maybe even a second...I think it might be worth the gamble though.

ebsteelers
02-22-2013, 10:09 PM
maybe its the adult beverages in me... but i would be more than happy if we take lattimore in round 3. watching him speak and seeing what he did at south carolina, i know he is a 1st round talent...

if the steelers can get him in round 3 he would be a major addition to our backfield, the beautiful thing would be that he doesnt need to come in and start from day 1.

God Bless that kid, he has major character to work through 2 knee injuries..

StevieRayVol
02-22-2013, 10:28 PM
I have kept up with Lattimore since he was in high school...He was a stud duck running back and was a back that had power and speed..."A WORKHORSE BACK"...Then he suffered a knee injury on one knee...and came back..Then last year's knee injury against Tennessee was one of the "WORST KNEE INJURIES" I have ever seen..

If he comes back, I'm pulling for him...But no way should we take a 2nd round pick on him.. 3rd..maybe..He'll be a good back but a kid with two major surgeries on BOTH KNEES in two years...That's pretty tough..

Hawaii 5-0
02-23-2013, 08:56 PM
Marcus Lattimore hopeful injuries won't jeopardize NFL career

NFL.com
Feb. 23, 2013

His last two college seasons were wiped out by devastating knee injuries, but South Carolina running back Marcus Lattimore maintained an optimistic tone about his future while speaking to reporters at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis on Friday.

"It's a blessing to be here," Lattimore said. "I just think about guys who are less fortunate than me, guys who would kill to be in my shoes right now, even with the injury. That's what keeps me going, that's what keeps me motivated."

Dr. James Andrews, Lattimore's orthopedic surgeon, says the running back is making progress in his recovery, but stressed that Lattimore has a lot of work ahead of him.

"He's motivated, working every day, he's way ahead of the game," Andrews told NFL.com's Ian Rapoport, "but it remains to be seen whether he can play next year or not.

"The nature of his injury is the most severe knee injury you can really get. It's going to take a special effort (from him to recover)."

Lattimore is considered one of the biggest question marks of the 2013 NFL Draft. He tore his anterior cruciate ligament during his sophomore year at South Carolina before tearing three ligaments in his right knee last year. As a result, his draft-day stock has taken a significant hit.

Still, Lattimore isn't thinking about where he might play in 2013.

"At this point, it really doesn't matter where I get drafted because I'm going to work hard and do what I've been doing my whole career," he said. "And if I get a chance to play this year, I'm going to make the most out of it, and I feel I will."

Lattimore expressed hope that his two knee injuries will not compromise a future NFL career. After seeing the MVP-caliber season Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson pieced together in 2012 coming off of ACL surgery, Lattimore is confident he can play in the NFL.

"There will never be another Adrian Peterson," Lattimore said, "but that definitely gives me a lot of motivation knowing he came back from it, the way he did, he came back better. And that's what I plan on doing -- just coming back better. Seeing him do what he did this year, I think about that all of the time."

http://www.nfl.com/combine/story/0ap1000000143883/article/marcus-lattimore-hopeful-injuries-wont-jeopardize-nfl-career

Hawaii 5-0
04-01-2013, 02:25 PM
2013 April Fools NFL Mock Draft: Picks 17-32

Last update: Sunday, April 1, 2013. Major changes in all 1 rounds.

1(17). Pittsburgh Steelers: Marcus Lattimore, RB, South Carolina

Many projected that Marcus Lattimore would go higher than expected, but no one thought he'd be chosen in the middle of the first round. Head coach Mike Tomlin acknowledged the severity of Lattimore's knee injury, but said that his new runner would take the field in September.

"I'm fully aware that Marcus had a knee, but I look at that as a positive rather than a negative," said Tomlin with a crazy look in his eye. "Having Lattimore hop around on one leg will give us an advantage over other teams."

How so? Tomlin explained.

"This new helmet rule - a team that can have its running backs use their helmet will have a distinct advantage," Tomlin continued. "Without the use of one leg, Lattimore won't have a choice but to use his helmet, and I'm sure Roger Goodell and the officials will understand if Marcus has to use his helmet to compensate."

Goodell was not available for comment about this, as he was hiding under his desk in fear of Jaqen H'ghar.

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2013aprilfools_1.php