PDA

View Full Version : Colon learning the rules

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-19-2006, 08:53 AM
Notebook: Colon learning the rules

By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, August 19, 2006

One of the benefits of the preseason is it allows everyone an opportunity to learn or reacquaint themselves with the rules. Rookie offensive tackle Willie Colon did that the hard way last Saturday in Arizona. Colon thought he had scored the first touchdown of his football career late in the Steelers' 21-13 loss to the Cardinals, until one of the officials informed him of the rule that allows only the player who fumbled to recover a ball in the end zone.
"I was so excited," Colon said. "I was like, 'Oh man, I finally got one, first in my life.' And then the ref was like, 'Get your fat butt up and get back in the huddle. It doesn't count.'"

? First-year quarterback Shane Boyd knows he needs to take a little off the ball on occasion and show the Steelers that he can deliver his passes with touch as well as mustard.

"I've been blessed with arm strength and sometimes it might just snap off there too hard," he said. "It's just something I have to continue to work on, especially those short passes. It's like throwing a dart, take a little off and give them something they can handle."

? North Allegheny High School graduate Mike McMahon is listed as the No. 2 quarterback for the Vikings. McMahon is in his first season in Minnesota after spending four years with Detroit and one with Philadelphia.

Fifth-string Minnesota tight end Jeff Dugan is a Central Catholic High School graduate. Vikings defensive backs coach Joe Woods is a Natrona Heights native.

? The passing game sputtered in preseason games a year ago. Head coach Bill Cowher isn't sure what to make of it after just one such contest.

"It's hard to assess after just the first game," Cowher said. "We've done some good things on the (practice) field. We had a better week (this week), particularly some of the young kids, starting to run crisper routes and the timing elements of it. But again, you have to be able to transfer that over to games. I'll give you the state of where we are after the third game, where I think we are."

? Cowher will be looking for improvement over where the Steelers left off last Saturday in Arizona when they take the field tonight against the Vikings.

"I would like to see us be crisp, be sharp," he said. "We had a lot of mental errors last week on offense. And every third down, we lost, particularly with that first group (on defense)."

His advice to his players?

"Continue to take the same aggressive approach," Cowher said. "I know there are going to be mistakes and I don't have a problem with that. I just don't want them to be repetitive. I want them to play fast. I want them to play with confidence. If you do that, you'll find the mistakes will become less and less because you'll get more comfortable, particularly the younger players."

Haiku_Dirtt
08-19-2006, 03:22 PM
After that play I was wondering how Colon he even got into that position to make the recovery. What it luck or is he going to be one of those players who seems to be in the right place at the right time? Saved Humes' butt. Well at least for a couple more weeks.

Can't wait for Sunday. Enjoy the game today.