PDA

View Full Version : Potential Wide Receiver in Round #2

Steel95
02-23-2013, 11:53 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/02/steelers-usc-robert-woods-nfl-combine/

Robert Woods, WR, USC: I watched this guy last year, this kid is fast. Now, he isn't as fast as Wallace, but again not too many are. But this kid runs great routes, the deep route as well as the slant. And he has great hands, not afraid to take a hit, and has great yards after the catch. If he is there in the 2nd, the Steelers better take him. He will not make it out of the 2nd round.

Southern Cal wide receiver Robert Woods is a speedy, explosive athlete that can separate from defenders and make big plays downfield.
Woods' best attribute is his playmaking ability. He has very good speed and can get behind defenders. Despite his average height, he is very quick in tight spaces and can turn a short pass into a long gain with his sudden change of direction skills. When route running, he blows past corners off the line and is average with getting in and out of his breaks. Quick feet and has that "next gear" when given a straight line. Still has room to improve as a route runner.

Catches the ball well away from his body in most cases, but does battle with drops from time to time. Due to his lack of size, Woods usually relies on trying to get to the ball using quickness rather than strength. He can track a deep pass and flashes elite jumping ability.

Not very good in run support and shows a better willingness to block. Shows more attitude with the ball in his hands, so there is tenacity in him to learn how to take on defenders in sealing the edge.

Woods is a first round prospect and could compete with others to be the first receiver off the board in the 2013 NFL Draft.

harrison'samonster
02-23-2013, 12:30 PM
looks like a player we could use. I think he's projected to go in the 2nd or 3rd?

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
02-23-2013, 12:32 PM
I wanted Hopkins in round 2 but now there saying he is only 5'11(thought he was 6'1) no need for another short receiver I would really like us to get Justin Hunter he'll give Ben a big target that he never had.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
02-23-2013, 12:34 PM
Lets try and keep these topics in the war room.

But yes would be a good fit have him mocked in my mock draft.

teegre
02-23-2013, 01:12 PM
I like him.

I like DeAndre Hopkins better, and Tavon Austin bestest. But, if those two are both gone in R2, then Woods is a very nice option.

That said, I think that a very good WR can be had in R3 or R4: Ryan Swope, Aaron Dobson, Cobi Hamilton (to name a few).

pczach
02-23-2013, 01:43 PM
I don't know. This kid has "big money playa" written all over him. Every time I've seen him play he's talking it up or taunting someone, Tons of attitude on nearly every play, and that's in college. I worry about this kid when he's given a little more freedom to "express himself". Did any of you notice this with this kid, or do I just catch him in bad moments?

harrison'samonster
02-23-2013, 01:49 PM
I don't know. This kid has "big money playa" written all over him. Every time I've seen him play he's talking it up or taunting someone, Tons of attitude on nearly every play, and that's in college. I worry about this kid when he's given a little more freedom to "express himself". Did any of you notice this with this kid, or do I just catch him in bad moments?

I don't follow college games, so I can't answer your question. However, I would expect more of this type of attitude from people who have grown up watching TO and Ocho-sinko. It's just becoming part of the game.

PhantomJB93
02-23-2013, 02:38 PM
IDK about Woods's attitude and I didn't watch USC much this year outside of their game with ND. What I do know is that Woods was considered the top WR and a top 5 pick before the season started. Whether his fall is more his own fault or because of Barkley's disappointing play, I do not know, but based on his electrifying 2011 he's probably worth taking in the second as far as his on-field play is concerned.

bubbletownwr88
02-23-2013, 04:09 PM
He was considered the top WR until Marquis Lee came onto the seen and took away a lot of Woods touches. However you'd think if they were throwing a lot to Lee teams would start to shift their coverages over his way which would leave Woods open more often but that didn't seem to happen. Another problem it seems is that once the ball stopped coming his way he started to give up on the team and complaining to the coaching staff for not getting the ball.

fer522
02-23-2013, 07:03 PM
I'd wait and take Cobi Hamilton in R3/4 he's a good receiver and he's not afraid of contact

Justp94
02-24-2013, 04:03 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/02/steelers-usc-robert-woods-nfl-combine/

Robert Woods, WR, USC: I watched this guy last year, this kid is fast. Now, he isn't as fast as Wallace, but again not too many are. But this kid runs great routes, the deep route as well as the slant. And he has great hands, not afraid to take a hit, and has great yards after the catch. If he is there in the 2nd, the Steelers better take him. He will not make it out of the 2nd round.

Southern Cal wide receiver Robert Woods is a speedy, explosive athlete that can separate from defenders and make big plays downfield.
Woods' best attribute is his playmaking ability. He has very good speed and can get behind defenders. Despite his average height, he is very quick in tight spaces and can turn a short pass into a long gain with his sudden change of direction skills. When route running, he blows past corners off the line and is average with getting in and out of his breaks. Quick feet and has that "next gear" when given a straight line. Still has room to improve as a route runner.

Catches the ball well away from his body in most cases, but does battle with drops from time to time. Due to his lack of size, Woods usually relies on trying to get to the ball using quickness rather than strength. He can track a deep pass and flashes elite jumping ability.

Not very good in run support and shows a better willingness to block. Shows more attitude with the ball in his hands, so there is tenacity in him to learn how to take on defenders in sealing the edge.

Woods is a first round prospect and could compete with others to be the first receiver off the board in the 2013 NFL Draft.

Da'Rick Rogers in Round 2 or 3...

wwhickok
02-24-2013, 04:11 PM
I think Woods is overrated. I dont think he is going to be as dynamic of a player as he has been hyped up to be.

bubbletownwr88
02-24-2013, 04:17 PM
Keep saying we need to get a big physical receiver. Fitzgerald, Roddy White, Julio Jones, Dez Bryant are all big physical guys that can go get the football. That's the problem with the Young Money Crew they are all fast and quick but relatively undersized. If we keep Brown and Sanders paired with a big physical receiver like Da'Rick Rogers...WATCH OUT!

SteelersCanada
02-24-2013, 04:25 PM
Rogers, Patton, Smith or Woods make a lot of sense. Patterson was a little disappointing to me, honestly, and I don't know if his stock will stay where it was.

Can't wait for DL tomorrow - waiting for that shit since December.

Renegade.8
02-24-2013, 05:59 PM
I think Woods is overrated. I dont think he is going to be as dynamic of a player as he has been hyped up to be.

This .

pczach
02-24-2013, 07:36 PM
I would like to get Justin Hunter from Tenn. in a later round. At 6'4" he's got the size we need with 4.43 speed. He was a high jump champion at the USA Junior Championships. and obviously has tremendous leaping ability. Was known for having great, soft hands, but struggled with some drops a year after acl injury. Anyway, I'm rambling here. Check him out.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/justin-hunter?id=2540151

Burlybulldog
02-24-2013, 07:37 PM
I personally like Patton in Rds 2 or 3. Rogers seems to have the talent but not the character. Wide receiver is fairly deep in this year's draft so I think they will pick up a quality receiver.

lipps83
02-24-2013, 08:44 PM
I think getting younger at safety and linebacker might be a bigger need and should be priorities in the first 2 rounds. We can get a decent receiver later in the draft or free agency.

harrison'samonster
02-24-2013, 08:47 PM
I think getting younger at safety and linebacker might be a bigger need and should be priorities in the first 2 rounds. We can get a decent receiver later in the draft or free agency.

i agree. Colbert likes to wait until later in the draft to get WRs and I don't see any reason he'll change this year.

fer522
02-24-2013, 09:09 PM
I like this guy a lot check him out
we could get him in R3

12/07/12 - 2012 ALL-SEC FIRST TEAM (COACHES): WR - Cobi Hamilton, Arkansas, has been selected First Team All-Southeastern Conference (Coaches selection) for the 2012 college football season. Hamilton put together the greatest season by a receiver in Arkansas history and one of the best ever by an SEC pass catcher in 2012. He broke the Arkansas single-season records for receptions, receiving yards and 10-plus catch games as well as UA career records for receptions and 10-plus catch games. His 90 catches in 2012 broke the previous record of 66 set by Jarius Wright in 2011 and are tied for the third-highest single-season total in SEC history.
Hamilton's 1,335 receiving yards broke Wright's record of 1,117 from last season and rank fourth on the SEC's single-season list. He also broke Wright's career record with 175 catches, bettering the mark of 168 put up from 2008-11, and became the first Razorback to record more than two 10-plus catch games with five. Hamilton also recorded four 100-yard receiving games in 2012, tied for third on UA's single-season list.

Hamilton leads the SEC and ranks fifth in the NCAA with his average of 111.25 receiving yards per game this season, and his average of 7.50 catches per game leads the SEC and is tied for 12th in the NCAA. - Arkansas football

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=90114&draftyear=2013&genpos=WR

Bane
02-24-2013, 09:50 PM
I'd like to see the Steelers finally get an effective receiver at 6'3" or taller. It'd be nice to see on of the tall, strong guys in a Steelers uniform for once.

Hawaii 5-0
02-24-2013, 10:17 PM
2013 NFL Combine: Field Workout Recap - Wide Receivers

Tennessee wide receiver Cordarrellle Patterson showed why his dynamic physical skill set has him as the No. 1-rated receiver in the 2013 NFL Draft. The 6-foot-2, 216-pound Patterson proved he is a physical freak and matchup nightmare with a 4.37 unofficial time in the 40-yard dash. His official time came in at a sterling 4.42 seconds. Patterson had some dropped passes in the field work; those were a problem for him last season. During the gauntlet drill, he showed the potential to make nice hands catches, but the early-entry wideout needs a lot of work. Patterson dropped a perfectly thrown bomb deep downfield. The Combine proved that his athletic skill set is off the charts, but he is still very raw and will need some patience to improve his all around receiving ability.

West Virginia wide receiver Tavon Austin was expected to be fast, but he exceeded expectations with a 40-yard dash unofficial time of 4.25 seconds with a 10-yard split of 1.45. The official time came in at 4.34 seconds and tied him for second. Austin was very good in the field drills, too. He ran good routes and displayed nice hands. Austin confirmed for NFL scouts that he has elite speed and looks poised to remain a source of splash plays in the NFL.

Texas wide receiver Marquise Goodwin was the only player faster than Austin. Goodwin didn't get a lot of passes thrown his way in college, but he stood out with a good performance at the Senior Bowl. The 5-foot-9, 183-pounder kept the momentum going with an impressive Combine. He ran the 40-yard dash with an official time of 4.25 seconds and a 10-yard split of 1.43 seconds. The official time was 4.27 seconds.

Goodwin's 40 time was expected to be great. He is an Olympic track athlete and had a goal of breaking Chris Johnson's Combine record. Goodwin had some struggles in tracking and catching passes in the on-field drills. That dampers the enthusiasm from his 40 time, so Goodwin may not get a huge boost from the Combine.

Clemson wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins (6-1, 214) had a solid Combine performance. He ran the 40-yard dash with an unofficial time of 4.50 seconds with an underwhelming 10-yard split of 1.59 seconds. In the field drills, however, Hopkins was one of the most impressive receivers with great route-running and hands. Those were the traits that made him extremely productive in 2012. He did his part in Indianapolis to confirm his grade as a top-60 selection.

Like Hopkins, West Virginia wide receiver Stedman Bailey ran a decent 40-yard dash but thrived in the field drills. He was massively productive for the Mountaineers because of great hands, route-running and quickness. At the Combine, Bailey was very fluid running downfield and did a perfect job of catching passes with his hands. He unofficially ran the 40-yard dash in 4.5 seconds with a 10-yard split of 1.58 seconds. Bailey's quality Combine should lock him into a selection within the top-100 picks.

Tennessee wide receiver Justin Hunter helped himself with a good time in the 40-yard dash. He was a fast and explosive receiver before a 2011 knee injury that caused season-ending surgery. Hunter was productive in 2012 and gradually seemed to be getting his speed back. He ran the 40 in 4.41 seconds at the Combine, with a nice 10-yard split of 1.54 seconds. It was the fifth-fastest 10-yard split of the receivers in his group. Considering the 6-foot-4, 196-pounder is much bigger than a lot of those receivers, it was a good showing.

Hunter had some struggles in the field drills with his route-running. Coaches will see that issue as more correctable, so his better-than-expected 40 time could help him on draft day.

One of the surprising players to stand out at receiver was Texas A&M's Ryan Swope. The 6-foot, 205-pounder ran the 40-yard dash with an official time of 4.34 seconds. That tied with Tavon Austin for the second-fastest time. Swope ran good routes in the field drills and displayed that quickness and speed. He had a couple of dropped passes, but he can rectify that in the NFL. It was a superb Combine that helped Swope to stand out.

TCU wide receiver Josh Boyce had one of the most surprising Combine 40 times among the wide receivers with an official mark of 4.38 seconds. His 10-yard split was 1.56 seconds. Boyce (5-11, 206) didn't play that fast at TCU, so his 40 time could cause teams to go back and reevaluate him. His performance in the field work showed that he needs to improve his route-running and hands. Boyce had a bad dropped pass on perfectly thrown ball downfield. He still looks like a mid-to-late third-day pick.

While a lot of receivers didn't stand out in the field work, USC's Robert Woods was an exception. He showed off nice hands, especially in the gauntlet. Woods ran better than expected in the 40-yard dash with an unofficial time of 4.44 seconds. It was especially important for him to run well considering the ankle injury he was dealing with throughout the 2012 season. Woods (6-0, 201) needed a good Combine to help ensure that he is a second-round pick.

Baylor wide receiver Terrance Williams needed a good Combine after a quiet Senior Bowl, and he came through with a good overall performance. Williams (6-2, 208) ran better than expected with an unofficial time of 4.46 seconds in the 40-yard dash. He also had a good 10-yard split of 1.52 seconds. Williams performed well in the field work too. He led the nation in receiving yards in 2012 and made big plays downfield, so he showed that he plays at 4.4 speed. The Combine should help Williams.

Oregon State wide receiver Markus Wheaton ran well with a 40 time of 4.45 seconds officially. It was a top-10 time, but he had a few drops in the gauntlet drill, including an ugly one on an out route. Wheaton (5-11, 189) has a bad habit of letting the ball get into his body and that leads to the drops. He is likely to go on the second day.

http://www.walterfootball.com/combine2013workoutWR.php

kan_t
02-24-2013, 11:42 PM
I prefer Justin Hunter, if he's still there in the second round.

teegre
02-25-2013, 12:03 AM
I was hoping for Swope in R3 (or possibly R4). Now, with that great combine, he'll go R2.

wwhickok
02-25-2013, 06:16 AM
There arent many 'big'of receivers in this draft. If we don't get Hunter, we probably won't get a big receiver.

kent
02-25-2013, 07:51 AM
I don't follow college games, so I can't answer your question. However, I would expect more of this type of attitude from people who have grown up watching TO and Ocho-sinko. It's just becoming part of the game.

I agree it is becoming the culture among WRs around the league. I mean I love Antonio Brown but I dont need him to let me know every time he gets a first down. My favorite Wr celebration is Cotchery's where he just simulates waving a terrible towel.

pczach
02-25-2013, 04:01 PM
I liked Justin Hunter before the combine. I knew about the injury and how explosive he was the year before he got hurt. He was a high jumper with great hands. The kid is more natural at his position than his more highly rated teammate Patterson. I think he has a very high upside, and that he will be much more explosive the second year after the knee injury. What's embarassing is that I selfishly wanted him to run a 4.6 so he would be available later. I'm a horrible human being. :flap:

steelfury02
02-25-2013, 04:18 PM
Show me who the thugs are and I'll show you a guy worth a Rd 5 pick:chuckle:

SteelersCanada
02-25-2013, 04:39 PM
Rodney Smith is 6'5 225 lbs and ran a 4.44. Oh, and I didn't see him drop a ball throughout the combine. That's not to say he didn't drop any, I just didn't see it.

pczach
02-25-2013, 04:56 PM
Rodney Smith is 6'5 225 lbs and ran a 4.44. Oh, and I didn't see him drop a ball throughout the combine. That's not to say he didn't drop any, I just didn't see it.

Yep. He's got a much thicker build. The rap on him is that he doesn't play as big as his physical size says he should. That doesn't mean he won't figure it out and fight for the ball and use that God given size he was blessed with.

fer522
02-25-2013, 05:24 PM
We should bring back SWEEEEEEED!!!!!:chuckle:

harrison'samonster
02-25-2013, 05:25 PM
We should bring back SWEEEEEEED!!!!!:chuckle:

I'll always feel bad about that one. Guy looked great until he had to catch a ball in the endzone with nobody covering him.