PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Vaccaro Ideal Fit for Interested Steelers

Hawaii 5-0
02-26-2013, 11:50 AM
Vaccaro Ideal Fit for Interested Steelers

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/115/1155921.jpg

Texas safety Kenny Vaccaro (Revere/Getty Images)

By Jim Wexell
SteelCityInsider.net
Posted Feb 26, 2013

INDIANAPOLIS – It was way back under the sunny skies of May 23, during the first week of OTAs, on the South Side of Pittsburgh, when the Steelers ...

... – specifically free safety Ryan Clark – were having some fun with one another.
After one of Todd Haley’s plays ended in frustration for his quarterback, Clark hollered across the field to coach Mike Tomlin that “if your quarterback’s going to hold the ball that long, you better draft more offensive linemen next year!”

To which Tomlin replied, “I’m going safety – free safety!”

Well, hello, there, Kenny Vaccaro.

The Steelers sat down with Vaccaro, the safety out of Texas, for a formal interview at the NFL Combine, which no doubt tested Vaccaro’s knowledge of whatever Dick LeBeau might throw at him in a South Side meeting room.

No word on how well Vaccaro fared in the battery of tests, but judging from the way he came off to the media – a poised and intelligent winner – Vaccaro did well with Tomlin, LeBeau and Co.

“Vaccaro, to me, is a really good football player on tape,” said draft analyst Mike Mayock during a Combine press conference. “I’ll be surprised if he gets past the top 15 or so.”

Perhaps the Steelers, who are scheduled to draft 17th, are hoping to be part of the “or so.”

Presently, their starting safeties either can’t play in Denver (33-year-old Clark) or are injury prone (soon-to-be 32-year-old Troy Polamalu).

Vaccaro can play both free and strong safety, and would fit right into the depth chart as a backup safety since both Will Allen and Ryan Mundy are unrestricted free agents. He was also Texas’s Special Teams MVP as a sophomore.

And Vaccaro can cover slot receivers. He’s been lauded by scouts for the job he did on WVU slot receiver Tavon Austin, who did have 108 yards of offense against Texas. But against Oklahoma and highly regarded free safety Tony Jefferson, Austin had 426 combined offensive yards.

“Me and Tavon were going at it all game,” said Vaccaro. “He’s a great player but I think I did pretty good. I mean, he’s one of the most explosive players in the country and I think I was right there with him.”

Vaccaro measured 6-0, 214 pounds at the Combine.

The nephew of former NFL cornerback A.J. Johnson opted against coming out for the draft last year after receiving a second-round grade from the NFL’s Draft Advisory Committee, and Vaccaro came back and made 91 tackles (ESPN.com) with 2 interceptions as a senior.

He’s had only 5 interceptions in his four-year career (2½-year starter) but Vaccaro has the size, speed and blitzing ability to become the playmaking type of safety LeBeau and Carnell Lake can groom behind either Clark or Polamalu.

“I think people are starting to appreciate safeties more, now that tight ends are changing to freaks and controlling the middle of the field,” Vaccaro said. “You’ve got to have a safety who can cover and come up and hit.”

Got to. Even if it means taking one in the first round.

http://pit.scout.com/2/1269779.html

wwhickok
02-26-2013, 11:58 AM
I could deal with that mock.

teegre
02-26-2013, 11:59 AM
Everyone knows that I love Elam.

But...

As I was saying in another thread, I'd be very happy with Vaccaro. How do I explain this... Ah, okay. Not that either of these young safeties is at this level, but Elam versus Vaccaro is akin to Polamslu versus Reed: personal preference (both are HOF-level). I personally like Elam, but I'm smart enough to know that Vaccaro is arguably just as good (both are amazing).

wwhickok
02-26-2013, 12:09 PM
Everyone knows that I love Elam.

But...

As I was saying in another thread, I'd be very happy with Vaccaro. How do I explain this... Ah, okay. Not that either of these young safeties is at this level, but Elam versus Vaccaro is akin to Polamslu versus Reed: personal preference (both are HOF-level). I personally like Elam, but I'm smart enough to know that Vaccaro is arguably just as good (both are amazing).

Move over, I'm hopping on your bandwagon!:tt02: Completely agree with you!

teegre
02-26-2013, 12:18 PM

Plenty of room... hopefully, Colbert & Tomlin will join us.

wwhickok
02-26-2013, 12:26 PM

I have a really good feeling that they will. I really do. Ive liked Vaccaro all along and I really think he would be a great addition. I also think he can play either S position which gives them the ability to draft a FS in a later round. I dont know if Elam is versatile in the same way, he may be, Im just more familiar with Vaccaro in that respect.

GMU Steeler
02-26-2013, 01:32 PM
I'd be happy with him. I especially like hearing that he can play either spot. Versatility is always a plus. I think we draft a safety in either round one or two. I think one good enough will land in our laps and it's obvious that management and the coaching staff want one and we do need one with Troy and Ryan over 30.

wwhickok
02-26-2013, 02:17 PM
I'd be happy with him. I especially like hearing that he can play either spot. Versatility is always a plus. I think we draft a safety in either round one or two. I think one good enough will land in our laps and it's obvious that management and the coaching staff want one and we do need one with Troy and Ryan over 30.

Keep in mind that is my belief. He has skills much like Troy, his major weakness is, like Troy there are times where instead of wrapping a guy up, he tries to drive through them. CBS Sports has Vaccaro listed with the FS's but as a SS. He mostly played FS but it is believed he had the skillset to play either position. That versatility may be unique to Pittsburgh given how they use Troy. Not being an expert I cant say for sure.

Vis
02-26-2013, 02:27 PM
We would have to move up

austinfrench76
02-26-2013, 03:06 PM
Would love this pick!!! Or Elam??!!

fer522
02-26-2013, 03:27 PM

They'll prolly go OLine R1:banging:

Fire Arians
02-26-2013, 03:36 PM
safety is definitely gonna be one of our biggest needs, so I could dig this pick

AgentGold007
02-26-2013, 04:16 PM
I would love to have Vaccaro or Elam in this draft, my only problem with that is that I believe with all of the free agents that the Steelers stand to lose this off-season and potential cuts, I think it's more important to use that pick on someone who can start on day one, in one of those positions where there's a vacancy or need for upgrade. Vaccaro or Elam will probably sit the bench til Troy or Clark leave. But if we get Vaccaro with that first pick, so be it. Go Steelers!

cowherpower
02-26-2013, 04:22 PM
no thanks. dude just ran a 4.6 40 time. Way too slow for safety and for sure too high at 17.

harrison'samonster
02-26-2013, 04:22 PM
I would love to have Vaccaro or Elam in this draft, my only problem with that is that I believe with all of the free agents that the Steelers stand to lose this off-season and potential cuts, I think it's more important to use that pick on someone who can start on day one, in one of those positions where there's a vacancy or need for upgrade. Vaccaro or Elam will probably sit the bench til Troy or Clark leave. But if we get Vaccaro with that first pick, so be it. Go Steelers!

very good point. We still have to go through free agency to find out if we'll need a safety starting day 1. Although, I think Clark and Polamalu are safe and that you are correct, any safety drafted won't be starting day 1

TheVet
02-26-2013, 04:28 PM
They'll prolly go OLine R1:banging:

Or R2. We definitely need one more high quality young lineman, preferably one with position flexibility. :drink:

That will still leave us with needs on the OL, but of course, we have other needs as well. With one pick, we can probably fill out the rest of our OL needs with some low profile FAs or UFAs, but we better hope that ALL of our planned experiments succeed and that nobody gets hurt - otherwise we don't even have a starting five. The OL situation is really that tenuous.

It's really important to have a backup safety given the age of our starters, but in general, I agree with you. We need guys that can start now for both the OL and LB, and maybe even the DL. We definitely don't have time yet for new pretty toys at the offensive skill positions, at least not in the early rounds. Starter-capable guys now!!

FrancoLambert
02-26-2013, 04:30 PM
Wouldn't be disappointed.

He's tough, makes plays, and is versatile.

Besides, we need young star talent at the safety position. Someone who can play in all cities and doesn't have lingering calf injury issues.

wwhickok
02-26-2013, 04:43 PM
no thanks. dude just ran a 4.6 40 time. Way too slow for safety and for sure too high at 17.

You're wrong. For a Corner, that would be too slow. Look at the safety #'s, that was about average among the Safeties. Only 3 or 4 hit a # in the 4.4 range. The ones that hit 4.2-4.3 were all corners. For safeties, the 40 time isn't as important as how they perform on the other drills. Hip movement, acceleration, footwork, etc.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
02-26-2013, 05:35 PM
You're wrong. For a Corner, that would be too slow. Look at the safety #'s, that was about average among the Safeties. Only 3 or 4 hit a # in the 4.4 range. The ones that hit 4.2-4.3 were all corners. For safeties, the 40 time isn't as important as how they perform on the other drills. Hip movement, acceleration, footwork, etc.

He doesn't play like his time was at the combine. Not worried wont hurt his stock. And will ran better at pro day like most.

SteelersCanada
02-26-2013, 06:00 PM

Don't judge peoples talent by their 40 times. It's what Al Davis did and, well, the Raiders have been garbage for a decade. Those two things might be linked - just saying.

I wouldn't be upset if we got him, but we need a pass rusher in the first two rounds. I'd be happier with Mingo, but hey, to each their own.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
02-26-2013, 06:03 PM
Don't judge peoples talent by their 40 times. It's what Al Davis did and, well, the Raiders have been garbage for a decade. Those two things might be linked - just saying.

I wouldn't be upset if we got him, but we need a pass rusher in the first two rounds. I'd be happier with Mingo, but hey, to each their own.

If Harrison is kept, would you still prefer olb in first. Or let worlids prove himself this year and draft one next year if he doesn't show talent when splitting time.

Bane
02-26-2013, 06:15 PM

You can't judge everything based on raw stats. Everyone thought for sure Brandon Spikes would be a bust because of his awful 40 time, but he's been rather solid for Bill Belichick.

The combine isn't necessarily a measure of on-the-field skill, as much as it is an indicator of what abilities the players need work on/excel at.

Bane
02-26-2013, 06:15 PM
If Harrison is kept, would you still prefer olb in first. Or let worlids prove himself this year and draft one next year if he doesn't show talent when splitting time.

Personally, I would rather them wait 'til next year and trade up for Clowney. :chuckle:

teegre
02-26-2013, 06:55 PM

I hope that the first 16 teams in the draft think like you do.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-26-2013, 07:42 PM
Hawaii 5-0....you are taking my first 3 picks. ;)

I dont know if Vaccaro will be there, but if he is, we should take him unless a great pass rusher is there. Lemonier will need a year or 2 behind.....Worilds unfortunately, but I like Lemonier a lot at OLB.
Swope wont be there in the 3rd with his combine performance, but we can hope.

cowherpower
02-26-2013, 09:46 PM
[QUOTE=teegre;1087385]I hope that the first 16 teams in the draft think like you do.[/QUOTE

weak

cowherpower
02-26-2013, 10:04 PM

Earl Thomas 4.4 range
Troy Polomalu 4.33
Eric Weddle 4.48
Eric Berry 4.4
Michael Griffin 4.42
Brandon Merriweather 4.47

Some good slower safeties including Adrian Wilson, Ed Reed, Jairus Byrd are still faster than him. I believe with the changing NFL with more passing, better TE, wide open attacks...you can't excel with 4.6 safeties. Sorry the facts back it up. You can make plays at the collegiate level in a bad conference but that lack of speed can be exposed at the next level. I love everything else and if he falls to 2nd I would jump on him...just think he killed his chances at top 20 and for us we'd be better served by trading back or taking LT (as this is great draft for OL and we should be able to get huge upgrade at 17), cb (obviously), or OLB (another obvious. At 17 that best player available list wouldn't include Vaccaro. He might not even be first safety taken.

BKAnthem
02-26-2013, 10:07 PM
Would love this pick!!! Or Elam??!!

I would be pleased with either

Hawaii 5-0
02-26-2013, 10:27 PM
Hawaii 5-0....you are taking my first 3 picks. ;)

great minds obviously think alike...:drink:

Bane
02-26-2013, 11:40 PM
Earl Thomas 4.4 range
Troy Polomalu 4.33
Eric Weddle 4.48
Eric Berry 4.4
Michael Griffin 4.42
Brandon Merriweather 4.47

Some good slower safeties including Adrian Wilson, Ed Reed, Jairus Byrd are still faster than him. I believe with the changing NFL with more passing, better TE, wide open attacks...you can't excel with 4.6 safeties. Sorry the facts back it up. You can make plays at the collegiate level in a bad conference but that lack of speed can be exposed at the next level. I love everything else and if he falls to 2nd I would jump on him...just think he killed his chances at top 20 and for us we'd be better served by trading back or taking LT (as this is great draft for OL and we should be able to get huge upgrade at 17), cb (obviously), or OLB (another obvious. At 17 that best player available list wouldn't include Vaccaro. He might not even be first safety taken.

40 speed isn't game speed.

Regardless:

Jairus Byrd clocked in at 4.68.
Kam Chancellor at 4.62.
Dashon Goldson at 4.65.

Vaccaro will be fine.

wwhickok
02-27-2013, 06:01 AM
Did you just say Brandon...Merriwather? Wasnt he drafted by NE...and he was basically a bust. Eric Weddle is good, wouldnt refer to gim as great. Troy Polamalu is the best SS in the league imo. Eric Berry is the 'nextbest big thing'. Griffin, meh. Thomas..okay there is one that is relevant to this discussion.

Thats like saying the best defensive player in the draft isnt gonna be as good as L.T. because of his 40 time. When in reality its because players like Lawrence Taylor, Troy Polamalu, Ed Reed, dont come along in every draft. You dont draft guys in hopes theyll be a HOFer you draft them in hopes that theyll help your team succeed. Sometimes they ALSO turn out to be GREAT. Vaccaro will help Pittsburgh succeed. He might even be great.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
02-27-2013, 06:45 AM
Did you just say Brandon...Merriwather? Wasnt he drafted by NE...and he was basically a bust. Eric Weddle is good, wouldnt refer to gim as great. Troy Polamalu is the best SS in the league imo. Eric Berry is the 'nextbest big thing'. Griffin, meh. Thomas..okay there is one that is relevant to this discussion.

Thats like saying the best defensive player in the draft isnt gonna be as good as L.T. because of his 40 time. When in reality its because players like Lawrence Taylor, Troy Polamalu, Ed Reed, dont come along in every draft. You dont draft guys in hopes theyll be a HOFer you draft them in hopes that theyll help your team succeed. Sometimes they ALSO turn out to be GREAT. Vaccaro will help Pittsburgh succeed. He might even be great.

You don't want teo cause of his 40 time. So why are you arguing with the person who listed safeties with 4.4 times? It seems like he has the same logic as you.

wwhickok
02-27-2013, 06:57 AM
You don't want teo cause of his 40 time. So why are you arguing with the person who listed safeties with 4.4 times? It seems like he has the same logic as you.

There are different requirements for different positions. While speed is always cherished Vaccaro has enough of it to matter. Te'o does not and Te'o also appears to be very lacking in other areas. There is a significant difference between the two prospects.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
02-27-2013, 09:55 AM
There are different requirements for different positions. While speed is always cherished Vaccaro has enough of it to matter. Te'o does not and Te'o also appears to be very lacking in other areas. There is a significant difference between the two prospects.

Now let me first point out I love vaccaro I want him in the first I think he will be great and I'm not worried about what he did at the combine.......but......I'm simply pointing out that you are contradicting yourself.

You don't want teo cause ( for a ilb he had a slow 40/ other areas ok not great you seem to think at the combine) but when someone says they don't want vaccaro because of his 40 you argue you disagree.

Your right there are different requirements for different positions and 40 time is more important for a safety:chuckle: how often do linebackers ran 40 yards? Not very often.

SteelersCanada
02-27-2013, 10:07 AM
Again, 40 times don't mean anything. I understand it's about a prospect showing he has that 'second gear' after 20 yards, but guys like Te'o weren't expected to have a second gear anyway. I don't know what to tell you if you were expecting a faster 40 than what Te'o showed - everyone who watched any film on him knew athleticism isn't his strong suit. Stuffing the run and playing near or at the line of scrimmage is something Te'o knows how to do - being athletic and making plays 5 - 6 yards downfield isn't.

It's as simple as that.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-27-2013, 10:12 AM
Now let me first point out I love vaccaro I want him in the first I think he will be great and I'm not worried about what he did at the combine.......but......I'm simply pointing out that you are contradicting yourself.

You don't want teo cause ( for a ilb he had a slow 40/ other areas ok not great you seem to think at the combine) but when someone says they don't want vaccaro because of his 40 you argue you disagree.

Your right there are different requirements for different positions and 40 time is more important for a safety:chuckle: how often do linebackers ran 40 yards? Not very often.

This is the problem with the internet. Everything has to be so literal and it lends itself to the splitting of hairs of posters to anothers post. Its not like a bunch of guys having a beer and talking football.

I for one have never been that impressed with Tèo and thought he was a guy that produced more based on the weakness of competition that Notre Dame plays every year and the system he was in. At best he is Dan Connor or James Laurinitis, but he looks slow on tape and makes most of his plays by shooting gaps and gessing right.....not read and react.

Vaccaro has performed at a high level, against top competition and plays fast in pads. His 40 time is more of an anomaly that makes me look at his playing and think he will run better at his pro day.

Teo and his 40 time make me question if I thought he was really that slow and wonder how much slower he is going to be if he puts on the weight that he had his junior year.

Vaccaro rose to the challenge of WVU and Tavon Austin, while Teo got to the BCS and I guess thought he was still playing Navy, Pitt, or Michigan St. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbNvW-2dx1w

Hawaii 5-0
02-27-2013, 10:16 AM
This is the problem with the internet.

the internet is never wrong...

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQle_lDv44Ta-e_5hukckJZUq97u1ct6V46rIknRohDf160X2NhlA

teegre
02-27-2013, 10:27 AM
Vaccaro rose to the challenge of WVU and Tavon Austin, while Teo got to the BCS and I guess thought he was still playing Navy, Pitt, or Michigan St. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbNvW-2dx1w

As a product of WVU (I was conceived while my parents attended grad school in Morgantown), I watch every Mountaineers game. Knowing that I wanted a safety in this draft, I watched a lot of Vaccaro. This game melded the two... and thus, I watched closely... and I was duly impressed by Vaccaro.

Tavon Austin obliterated Tony Jefferson (I remember Tony standing there, looking frazzled, as Tavon juked right around him; Tony just stood there, after the play, looking at where Tavon had just been... as if to say, "Where did he go???"). Conversely, Kenny looked great (against a guy who is the best "after catch" player that I've seen in a long, long time).

I'm not worried.

Elam or Vaccaro.

Chocolate or vanilla.

Sleeping in or the last slice of pizza.

cowherpower
02-27-2013, 10:33 AM
I am telling ya, just like Teo will fall due to his time, Vaccaro will fall. Reid and Elam have as much 'tape' as Vaccaro and they performed way better at combine. These prospects are so hyped up and then group think causes everyone to start giving out 1st round grades before all the info is out there. In this instance, I just think his forty proves he will be half a step slow maybe one or two times a game. That's all it takes. Would I want him at a later pick then 17? Of course, I am just talking about where we are slotted. While those safeties I mentioned have better forty times it doesn't necessarily make them better players but it would never hurt. Personally I like Elam, but still wouldn't use our 1st on a safety this year. Not when there could be a premier LT, or OLB there.

T'eo is the most overhyped player in college. If he played for Arizona State you would never have even heard of him. It's all about the media machine and Notre Dame. He is stiff, slow, and will be an okay player kinda like Foote. Would not take him in first 3 rounds.

Just like his stock has fallen, Heath's fell due to injury. We lucked out in that regard. We could afford to take a chance due to where we were drafting, taking a chance that Vaccaro's game speed will even out vs. timed speed using #17 is too much risk IMHO. We HAVE to hit a homerun on this pick. We haven't really hit a homerun on a defender in ages.

Could be that Vaccaro runs a 4.5 at his pro day and all of this discussion is for naught. Let's hope that happens and someone ahead of us takes him so someone else better falls to us.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
02-27-2013, 10:35 AM
This is the problem with the internet. Everything has to be so literal and it lends itself to the splitting of hairs of posters to anothers post. Its not like a bunch of guys having a beer and talking football.

I for one have never been that impressed with Tèo and thought he was a guy that produced more based on the weakness of competition that Notre Dame plays every year and the system he was in. At best he is Dan Connor or James Laurinitis, but he looks slow on tape and makes most of his plays by shooting gaps and gessing right.....not read and react.

Vaccaro has performed at a high level, against top competition and plays fast in pads. His 40 time is more of an anomaly that makes me look at his playing and think he will run better at his pro day.

Teo and his 40 time make me question if I thought he was really that slow and wonder how much slower he is going to be if he puts on the weight that he had his junior year.

I don't think you understand what I'm trying to say

All I doing is pointing out that that poster is contradicting themselves when it comes to analyzing players. Which happens a lot here.

Teo had good games against Michigan Michigan st Stanford Miami Oklahoma not bum teams. He even had 10 tackles in the bcs game, and who didn't look bad against bama oline? Again you can't say teo won't be good cause his 40 that's absurd. To point at one game is absurd everyone has bad games even the troys James bens of the world.

Let me be clear I'm not advocating for teo, just people need to see the bigger picture and if he goes to the ravens you will hate him cause he's good and will make that defense very good.

And again I love vaccaro

wwhickok
02-27-2013, 11:13 AM
Im not contradicting myself at all actually. Its more important that Te'o runs a better 40 because he is closer to the line of scrimmage, aka has further to run in that "40Corporate yard strerch". Where as Vaccaro being a safety is already 20 yards deep ao its his footwork and fluid motion thay matters the most. Furthermore it wasnt just a bad 40 time, compared to other LBs Te'o had a pretty lousy combine effort.

wwhickok
02-27-2013, 11:15 AM
You want to talk about his good games but that same team almost lost to Pitt and a couple other teams so really was Notre Dame and Te'o really that good or just lucky often? The national championship exposed Te'o.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
02-27-2013, 11:22 AM
Im not contradicting myself at all actually. Its more important that Te'o runs a better 40 because he is closer to the line of scrimmage, aka has further to run in that "40Corporate yard strerch". Where as Vaccaro being a safety is already 20 yards deep ao its his footwork and fluid motion thay matters the most. Furthermore it wasnt just a bad 40 time, compared to other LBs Te'o had a pretty lousy combine effort.

Not trying to be mean or rude but are you trying to tell me that linebackers run more than safety's ( that's a ridiculous statement) ???????? That's why I can't take your analysis seriously.

And to your other comment- it's called a TEAM SPORT

Again not trying to sound rude but your wrong with that assessment.

wwhickok
02-27-2013, 11:29 AM
Not trying to be mean or rude but are you trying to tell me that linebackers run more than safety's ( that's a ridiculous statement) ???????? That's why I can't take your analysis seriously.

And to your other comment- it's called a TEAM SPORT

Again not trying to sound rude but your wrong with that assessment.

Are we talking in coverage or in general? Thats not what I said regardless. What I was saying was in 'makethe up' distance a LB would havebto run further because he is closer to the line of scrimmage. I didnt say anything about a LB running more in coverage play to play than a S.

But another thing you should keep in mind is where Te'o will play and what he will do. He will play ILab, be charged with covering RBs and TEs. Many of who are considerably faster than Te'o.

What I am saying is, when it comew to the complete package, Vaccaro is the better player imo. Like it or not Te'o will not play in Pittsburgh.

wwhickok
02-27-2013, 11:31 AM
Next time Ill draw it in crayon for you. I basically just answered your same question 75 different ways and you still seem to have a comprehension problem. Not trying to be mean or rude.

Furthermore, this thread is about Vaccaro, Im so over talking about Te'o.

Put pads on him and that 4.83 becomes a 5.10 especially if he gains any weight. Thats slow for an offensive lineman.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
02-27-2013, 11:39 AM
Are we talking in coverage or in general? Thats not what I said regardless. What I was saying was in 'makethe up' distance a LB would havebto run further because he is closer to the line of scrimmage. I didnt say anything about a LB running more in coverage play to play than a S.

But another thing you should keep in mind is where Te'o will play and what he will do. He will play ILab, be charged with covering RBs and TEs. Many of who are considerably faster than Te'o.

What I am saying is, when it comew to the complete package, Vaccaro is the better player imo. Like it or not Te'o will not play in Pittsburgh.

When the play gets longer than 25 30 yards linebackers are mostly out of the picture expect maybe 1 linebacker and that's cause he was in coverage it's up to the safeties and corners to be there to track down the ball carrier.

And your wrong if teo goes to a 3-4 team which he is bet suited for he will play the buck position which there job is to control th run game blitz and play a short zone coverage in the shallow middle or flat which he was very good at in college. He will not be charged with covering rbs and te that's a poor assessment.

And you don't read my posts I love vaccaro I'm not debting vaccaro vs teo I'm simply sayin your assessment is way off when you analyze vaccaro and when you analyze teo.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
02-27-2013, 11:41 AM
Next time Ill draw it in crayon for you. I basically just answered your same question 75 different ways and you still seem to have a comprehension problem. Not trying to be mean or rude.

Furthermore, this thread is about Vaccaro, Im so over talking about Te'o.

Put pads on him and that 4.83 becomes a 5.10 especially if he gains any weight. Thats slow for an offensive lineman.

Vontaze burfict ran a 5.09 in shorts, he had a solid rookie year.

Brandon spikes 5.00 solid career for the pats

steelfury02
02-27-2013, 11:44 AM
if we were coming off a highly competitive year and we were ripe with SB-run ready talent - I'd be willing to take Te'o if he was there at 17 - he has huge leadership potential and in some cases, stupid kids (there are worst things he could have done) learn their lessons

As things stand, he would have to fall to my 2nd rd pick - I wouldn't make any jumps for him with all the issues

wwhickok
02-27-2013, 11:58 AM
We will have to agree to disagree on Te'o its that simple. If he is a bust ill be saying i.told you so. If he isnt ill gladly eat crow. If he is there at our 2ndDline round pick andnthe Steelers draft him..ill deal with it and trust that Colbert sees more in him than i do. I will also say Te'o can regain a lot of merit with.me if he really improves on his Pro Day.

lloydwoodson
02-27-2013, 12:47 PM
40 speed isn't game speed.

Regardless:

Jairus Byrd clocked in at 4.68.
Kam Chancellor at 4.62.
Dashon Goldson at 4.65.

Vaccaro will be fine.

Byrd 2nd rd
Chancellor 5th rd
Goldson 4th rd

Whether or not Vaccaro will "be fine" his time is not on pace with other 1st round safeties.

I see OLB and NT as bigger positions of need. ILB as well.

The Steelers don't want penetrating DL so McLendon may not be the long-term answer for them even though he has played really well and Ta'amu is probably going to ride his alcohol dependancy straight out of the NFL.

The Steelers were hopeless at generating pressure this past season and ROLB is the focal point of the pass rush.

I would draft OLB, ILB, then S/NT personally.

Bane
02-27-2013, 12:59 PM
Your 40 time does not determine your round placement, unless it's godawful (or you're drafted by the Raiders). I was simply stating that safeties have played very well despite a "slow" 40 time. Vaccaro was dominant in college (in the SEC, no less), and that is why he will be worth a first round selection.

OLB is a need, but nose tackle is not, and despite what you may think, they seem to be happy with McLendon and Ta'amu going forward. And barring injuries, I suspect Spence will fill in at ILB nicely.

The offense is far more in need of help than anything. They need starters now, while the defense simply needs someone to generate turnovers. Whether that comes from Allen or another pass rusher, I don't know.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
02-27-2013, 01:14 PM
OLB is a need, but nose tackle is not, and despite what you may think, they seem to be happy with McLendon and Ta'amu going forward. And barring injuries, I suspect Spence will fill in at ILB nicely.

The offense is far more in need of help than anything. They need starters now, while the defense simply needs someone to generate turnovers. Whether that comes from Allen or another pass rusher, I don't know.

Kwame Geathers the junior NT out of Georgia would be nice pick up in rounds 4-5 he's 6-6 and weights 350.

I don't have much hope for Spence this year his injury seems much worse than I thought

OLB, Safety, ILB and OG are the biggest needs

Fire Haley
02-27-2013, 01:26 PM
interesting

17 S Kenny Vaccaro Texas Sr. 6-1 218 The Steelers can go in a lot of different directions to help Dick LeBeau's aging defense. An outside linebacker like BYU's Ezekiel Ansah is a name to watch at No. 17. But Vacarro is the draft's top safety, and probably makes the most sense as Troy Polamalu's eventual replacement. Vaccarro is as strong against the run as he is smooth in pass coverage, and he'll contribute from day one in a variety of roles.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130124/2013-nfl-mock-draft-1/?sct=hp_wr_a1&eref=sihp

now Troy needs to take a restructure or pay cut - he only plays half the year anyway

Bane
02-27-2013, 02:02 PM
Kwame Geathers the junior NT out of Georgia would be nice pick up in rounds 4-5 he's 6-6 and weights 350.

I don't have much hope for Spence this year his injury seems much worse than I thought

OLB, Safety, ILB and OG are the biggest needs

I agree with drafting an ILB, but not high. On Twitter, Sean Spence is claiming his rehab is going well, so I'm hoping Spence can be back in this year and be effective from the start.

Overall, I'm hoping Warmack falls to us, and then Lacy or Eric Reid in the second round (if Lacy falls that far). A tall wide receiver (6'3" or above) would be nice somewhere later as well, with depth at the various positions later. It seems they are going to keep Harrison, so I'm not sure OLB is such a pressing need this year.

I'm still holding out hope that with the departure of Polamalu imminent after the coming season, the Steelers will trade up and grab another "face" of the defense in Clowney. Fat chance, but let me dream.

cowherpower
02-27-2013, 02:49 PM
Vontaze burfict ran a 5.09 in shorts, he had a solid rookie year.

Brandon spikes 5.00 solid career for the pats

First of all, Spikes is average at best and a liability in coverage. Burfict was undrafted wasn't he? Huge off field issues and probably way faster when in shape which it looked like he got in as the season wore on.This solidifies my stance, if you can get a decent slow ILB undrafted or much later in draft, why take that same player in first or second round?

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-27-2013, 03:51 PM
Byrd 2nd rd
Chancellor 5th rd
Goldson 4th rd

Whether or not Vaccaro will "be fine" his time is not on pace with other 1st round safeties.

I see OLB and NT as bigger positions of need. ILB as well.

The Steelers don't want penetrating DL so McLendon may not be the long-term answer for them even though he has played really well and Ta'amu is probably going to ride his alcohol dependancy straight out of the NFL.

The Steelers were hopeless at generating pressure this past season and ROLB is the focal point of the pass rush.

I would draft OLB, ILB, then S/NT personally.

Your sig is sickening....not sick. Its a joke right??

Mike Wallace isnt even the top 5 in the NFL right now. Fitz, Megatron, Andre Johnson, Brandon Marshall, AJ Green, Greg Jennings, Wes Welker are all arguably better than Wallace.

DeSean Jackson thinks Mike Wallace is overrated.

Bane
02-27-2013, 04:03 PM
Your sig is sickening....not sick. Its a joke right??

Mike Wallace isnt even the top 5 in the NFL right now. Fitz, Megatron, Andre Johnson, Brandon Marshall, AJ Green, Greg Jennings, Wes Welker are all arguably better than Wallace.

DeSean Jackson thinks Mike Wallace is overrated.

He was barely top 5 for the Steelers. :chuckle:

wwhickok
02-28-2013, 06:24 AM
One last point on my thoughts AGAINST Te'o. It wasnt just his 40 time that was nad, it was everything he did at the combine. His 3 cone was 7.13 far behind Zaviar Goodens 6.71. His 203 yd shuttle was a 4.27 again behind Gooden's 4.18; his vertical jump; a 33need to Jamie Collins' 41..ALL of the drills he did were of a poor showing.

wwhickok
02-28-2013, 06:25 AM
First of all, Spikes is average at best and a liability in coverage. Burfict was undrafted wasn't he? Huge off field issues and probably way faster when in shape which it looked like he got in as the season wore on.This solidifies my stance, if you can get a decent slow ILB undrafted or much later in draft, why take that same player in first or second round?

Imo, Zaviar Gooden would be a great 4th or 5th round option.

Hawaii 5-0
03-02-2013, 12:20 PM
2013 NFL Draft: S Kenny Vaccaro met with Steelers, possible target at 17

By Neal Coolong on Mar 2 2013
USA TODAY Sports

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/8955433/20130222_mje_ss1_487.0_standard_500.0.jpg

Texas safety prospect Kenny Vaccaro met with the Steelers at the NFL Combine last week, bringing back a humorous story from training camp about a conversation between Ryan Clark and Mike Tomlin.

Steel City Insider publisher Jim Wexell brought up a story from 2012 training camp where Steelers safety Ryan Clark was jawing at Steelers coach Mike Tomlin after a failed play.

"If your quarterback is gonna hang onto the ball that long, you better draft some more offensive linemen next year!"

Tomlin responded, "I'm going safety. Free safety!"

It was all in good fun - or at least not all seriousness - with Clark providing a timely jab at the Steelers' recent draft history. But as Wexell connects the past to the present in pointing out the Steelers met with Texas safety Kenny Vaccaro at the NFL Combine this past week, it very well could end up that way.

Vaccaro met with the Steelers behind closed doors, likely being dissected by Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau (who told BTSC he would like the team to add a young safety this offseason). While Vaccaro didn't set college football on its collective head with interceptions, he showed he has the size and willingness to support the run and the ability to cover slot receivers - a critical attribute of a successful safety in today's NFL.

But safeties who get drafted that high show more playmaking ability. The question teams are going to ask themselves when they're on the clock is whether Vaccaro is more of your traditional free safety, or one who is dynamic enough to play all over the field and make things happen.

The Steelers were at least curious enough to sit down with him to see what kind of guy he is.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/3/2/4056260/2013-nfl-draft-steelers-prospects-safety-kenny-vaccaro-combine

cowherpower
03-02-2013, 12:45 PM
Steelers needs: CB, OT, OLB, ILB, S, RB, WR, NT...its shocking that they would meet with a player at one of those positions. Shocking. Because we all know, GM's love to telegraph what they are going to do. There is very little subterfuge.

Hawaii 5-0
03-02-2013, 05:20 PM
Steelers Should Seriously Consider Drafting Safety Vaccaro

Feb 28th, 2013 by Craig Gottschalk

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/58/files/2013/02/7088404-590x434.jpg

The Steelers are staring down at the LB position for their top pick of the draft this year. At least, that’s what everyone expects. But, I believe that the Steelers should (and quite possibly are) look at drafting a safety first and foremost – specifically a player by the name of Kenny Vaccaro.

Vaccaro is a safety out of Texas, and could be the future of the Steelers deep secondary. He is a very versatile player. He can defend both pass and run. He is quite physical and has good speed. He ran a disappointing 40 of 4.63 at the combine, but don’t let that jade your feelings about Kenny. So Kenny has the intangibles at being a very good strong or free safety. Why should the Steelers be aggressive in drafting him?

Troy Polamalu, Ryan Clark, and Carnell Lake.

Those are the three reasons why. As we well know as Steeler fans that Dick LeBeau’s defense is one of the most complicated schemes to grace the NFL. The learning curve is steep, and most defensemen don’t have a shot at becoming a starter until at least their second or third year. Very few have been a starter from day one when they are drafted to the Steelers defense. There’s no question that Vaccaro will have a huge advantage by learning the positions from two of the best safeties in the league in Polamalu and Clark. The icing on the cake is having someone like Carnell Lake as the secondary coach. With the quick rise and development of Cortez Allen and the (finally) solid play from Keenan Lewis, you can’t deny that Lake’s positive impact on the corners and safeties.

Clark is done in 2013 unless he gets an extension, which is highly possible. Troy is slated to play through 2014. However, his large hit on the salary cap and decline in health the last two seasons could put his future in jeopardy. He very well could become a cap casualty in 2014 instead of playing out his contract. The time is right and the iron is hot to strike a golden opportunity to draft someone who could be the next top safety in the league by drafting Vaccaro.

Are there other pressing needs? Yes. Linebacker is certainly a huge need, especially if Harrison or Woodley are released to make cap room. But, there’s really no one there to act as ‘the teacher’ once a rookie linebacker is drafted. That person may take a couple to three years before they are ready – as has been the case with most of the Steelers linebackers. The team could see faster and more positive returns with a guy like Vaccaro.

I wholly endorse that kind of pick, and hope the Steelers also see the ripe opportunity.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2013/02/28/steelers-should-seriously-consider-drafting-safety-vaccaro/

Steeldude
03-03-2013, 05:02 AM
Vacarro isn't worth a 1st round pick when there are other safeties just as good or perhaps better that will be available in the later rounds.

pczach
03-03-2013, 07:11 AM
I think Vaccaro and Elam are both great players, but there's something that's not being discussed about drafting a safety early. Most years, there are 6 or 7 projected starters at the safety position in the draft. This year, there are 15 projected starters at safety in this years draft. That's a lot of talent at one position in one draft. I think there will be a very good safety available later in the draft. I'm not saying it is a mistake to take Vaccaro or Elam early if they are available. I'm saying that they could get great value in a later round for a great player that would be going much higher any other year. With safety not being the most pressing issue, and with the depth at the postion in this draft, I expect the Steelers to draft other postions early. The only way I see them drafting one of the top 3 in this draft is if they move down with the first pick to get additional pics.

Steel95
03-03-2013, 10:46 AM

1) Kenny Vaccaro FS/SS Texas
2) Sio Moore OLB UConn
3) Le'veon Bell RB Mich St
4) Kenny Stills WR Oklahoma
5) Michael Mauti ILB Penn St
6) Michael Williams TE Alabama
7) Ryan Griffin QB Tulane

Kenny Stills will not last until the 4th round; the Steelers need more reliable playmakers on the offense. I'm not buying Vaccaro as a 1st round safety, I like his versatility, he didn't do too well at the combine. Go back and watch the film; the guy has poor tackling skills, ran a sub-par 4.68 at the combine as well. I see him as a late 1st round draft pick at best. The Steelers need someone that can step in immediately and rock! I still think they will go OLB/WR in the 1st. If Keenan Allen runs well at his pro-day and sitting there at #17, he's the pick. Keep youe eye on Corradelle Patterson out of Tennessee. I also like Justin Hunter in the 3rd, I don't see him getting out of the 2nd though.

Hawaii 5-0
03-03-2013, 11:36 AM

1) Kenny Vaccaro FS/SS Texas
2) Sio Moore OLB UConn
3) Le'veon Bell RB Mich St
4) Kenny Stills WR Oklahoma
5) Michael Mauti ILB Penn St
6) Michael Williams TE Alabama
7) Ryan Griffin QB Tulane

Kenny Stills will not last until the 4th round

Walter Football has Stills getting selected in the 5th round by the Panthers and NFLDraftScout.com also has a 4th round grade on him.

141. Carolina Panthers: Kenny Stills, WR, Oklahoma
The Panthers are interested in Mike Wallace. If they can't bring in him or another highly regarded free agent receiver, they'll probably draft a wideout at some point.

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2013_5.php

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2013/WR

cowherpower
03-05-2013, 09:10 AM
I am surprised they want Wallace, as Smith is same type of player, actually better imho. Same size, similar speed, same deficiencies. I would think they would go hard after a taller possession type WR who could take doubles off Smith. They keep failing at doing so in the draft. But I guess there really isn't that guy in FA.

teegre
03-05-2013, 12:05 PM
I am surprised they want Wallace, as Smith is same type of player, actually better imho. Same size, similar speed, same deficiencies. I would think they would go hard after a taller possession type WR who could take doubles off Smith. They keep failing at doing so in the draft. But I guess there really isn't that guy in FA.

I'm not trying to be funny... but, is this posted in the wrong thread.

I'm trying to figure out this post... it doesn't seem to follow the rest of the conversation. It sounds like it's about Baltimore's WRs... but, it's following a post about a R4 WR. I think this sounds like it's supposed to be in (one of the hundreds) of Wallace threads... yes?

austinfrench76
03-05-2013, 12:41 PM
I would prefer Elam but this would be fine as well. If this is our pick, they should definitely try and trade back and pick up another 3rd rounder to let a back end 1st round drafting team take the 17th pick.

cowherpower
03-05-2013, 01:11 PM
I'm not trying to be funny... but, is this posted in the wrong thread.

I'm trying to figure out this post... it doesn't seem to follow the rest of the conversation. It sounds like it's about Baltimore's WRs... but, it's following a post about a R4 WR. I think this sounds like it's supposed to be in (one of the hundreds) of Wallace threads... yes?

Just responding to the post literally right above mine. About Panthers interest in Wallace? But...thanks for singling me out...I guess

teegre
03-05-2013, 03:16 PM
Just responding to the post literally right above mine. About Panthers interest in Wallace? But...thanks for singling me out...I guess

My apologies. I was not intending to single you out; I was genuinely confused.

I get it now.

From your post, I had assumed that you were talking about TORREY Smith (not Steve Smith)... because, Mike Wallace & Torrey are rotuinely seen as being the same receiver: tall, fast, but questionable hands. (Steve is short... so, honestly, he never even crossed my mind.)

AND, I didn't read the enitre way through the previous post (when I was looking for a post about a WR), because I had read it two days prior... and during that two day hiatus from this thread, I had forgotten that Wallace was listed in the descriptor of Kenny Stills. Simply, I just glanced at the name of the WR in Hawaii's post (Stills)... but, did not re-read any further (to see the menion of Wallace).

Anyway, I hope that that makes sense.

cowherpower
03-05-2013, 03:34 PM
My apologies. I was not intending to single you out; I was genuinely confused.

I get it now.

From your post, I had assumed that you were talking about TORREY Smith (not Steve Smith)... because, Mike Wallace & Torrey are rotuinely seen as being the same receiver: tall, fast, but questionable hands. (Steve is short... so, honestly, he never even crossed my mind.)

AND, I didn't read the enitre way through the previous post (when I was looking for a post about a WR), because I had read it two days prior... and during that two day hiatus from this thread, I had forgotten that Wallace was listed in the descriptor of Kenny Stills. Simply, I just glanced at the name of the WR in Hawaii's post (Stills)... but, did not re-read any further (to see the menion of Wallace).

Anyway, I hope that that makes sense.

ha..no worries. it was still pretty off topic though when considering the thread

wwhickok
03-06-2013, 06:46 AM
If/When the Steelers draft Kenny Vaccaro, he will eventually be our SS. Just remember I said that.

cowherpower
03-06-2013, 12:22 PM
If/When the Steelers draft Kenny Vaccaro, he will eventually be our SS. Just remember I said that.

that would be more ideal. I still think at 17 you need to fill a spot that needs immediate attention i.e. CB, RT, OLB. It would seem high for a safety who wouldn't play this year. The drop off from him isn't so severe that we couldn't get close to his value in round 2 with Reid. But if he is BPA I won't argue. Would like to see a 4.5 forty to put my mind at ease over his lack of speed. He may have just had a bad day at combine. But if he runs a 4.6 at pro day his stock will drop and maybe it'll be him we can take in round 2

teegre
03-06-2013, 01:57 PM
that would be more ideal. I still think at 17 you need to fill a spot that needs immediate attention i.e. CB, RT, OLB. It would seem high for a safety who wouldn't play this year. The drop off from him isn't so severe that we couldn't get close to his value in round 2 with Reid. But if he is BPA I won't argue. Would like to see a 4.5 forty to put my mind at ease over his lack of speed. He may have just had a bad day at combine. But if he runs a 4.6 at pro day his stock will drop and maybe it'll be him we can take in round 2

1. Here is why he could see some time: Denver... and Troy.

The chances are that the Steelers will be playing in Denver, and thus, no Ryan Clark. Vaccaro would play in that game. Troy can not seem to make it through an entire season... but, I hope that Troy does indeed play a whole season. But, if not, Vaccaro would step right in. Furthermore, maybe rotating Vaccaro with Troy would minimize the chances that Troy gets injured. Make sense?

2. Straight-line speed is over-rated (IMO). Vaccaro played very well against Tavon Austin (who is a nightmare to cover).

3. In 2014, I do not see either Ryan Clark or Troy being on the team. At least one safety needs to go in this draft. Now, that does not mean that it has to be in R1, but it is a bigger need than some seem to realize.

Hawaii 5-0
03-06-2013, 02:06 PM
that would be more ideal. I still think at 17 you need to fill a spot that needs immediate attention i.e. CB, RT, OLB. It would seem high for a safety who wouldn't play this year.

the 3rd safety would see plenty of playing time in the nickel and dime packages...

Bane
03-06-2013, 11:28 PM
the 3rd safety would see plenty of playing time in the nickel and dime packages...

Or if Polamalu has a repeat of last season.

wwhickok
03-07-2013, 06:44 AM

Imo, you're wrong. Based on what you ask? Lawrence Timmons who was drafted at 15 I believe. Making rookies full-time starters is not what the Steelers do.

If you really look at the first round, Kenny Vaccaro makes the most sense.

Vis
03-07-2013, 09:39 AM
shouldn't this be in the war room?

Hawaii 5-0
03-07-2013, 01:17 PM
shouldn't this be in the war room?

the name of this article and thread is "Kenny Vaccaro Ideal Fit for Interested Steelers"...

you don't think that this is Steelers-related, especially since the word "Steelers" is in the name of the article?

so far there have been 78 replies and 2477 views, would it have gotten that good of a response in the War Room?

Vis
03-07-2013, 01:48 PM
the name of this article and thread is "Kenny Vaccaro Ideal Fit for Interested Steelers"...

you don't think that this is Steelers-related, especially since the word "Steelers" is in the name of the article?

so far there have been 78 replies and 2477 views, would it have gotten that good of a response in the War Room?

Almost everything in the war room is Steeler related but I agree with you, it would have no traffic in a sub forum. That was my point after another thread was moved there.

Mods, stop the insanity. Lets have one big football discussion room so conversational flow can be maintained.

Hawaii 5-0
03-07-2013, 01:53 PM
Almost everything in the war room is Steeler related but I agree with you, it would have no traffic in a sub forum. That was my point after another thread was moved there.

Mods, stop the insanity. Lets have one big football discussion room so conversational flow can be maintained.

hey Vis, I totally agree with you...:drink:

LVSteelersfan
03-07-2013, 02:58 PM
Te'o is the type of player the Patriots thrive with. If he is there on that pick, he will be gone. Belicheat has a way with mediocre to so so talent type players. The Steelers not so much. So although Te'o is not a good pick for the Steelers, he will be gone in the first round.

Vis
03-07-2013, 03:20 PM
Te'o is the type of player the Patriots thrive with. If he is there on that pick, he will be gone. Belicheat has a way with mediocre to so so talent type players. The Steelers not so much. So although Te'o is not a good pick for the Steelers, he will be gone in the first round.

Thriving on getting the most out of mediocre talent only works if you get that talent for a bargain. The first round is not bargain shopping.

Hawaii 5-0
03-12-2013, 05:31 PM
unless Jarvis Jones or Dion Jordan somehow fall to us, Kenny Vaccaro makes the most sense to me to be our pick at 1(17)

Vacarro would see playing time in both the nickel and dime sub packages and be good insurance for if and when Troy gets injured again.

pete74
03-12-2013, 05:33 PM
Definitely when. Troy is done with those 16 game season crap

Hawaii 5-0
03-27-2013, 02:12 PM
Tomlin Spotted At Texas Pro Day

March 27th, 2013 Brandon Sweeney

http://cdn.steelersgab.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/kv.jpg

Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin was spotted at the University of Texas‘ pro day on Tuesday. Pro day’s are workouts for players entering into the NFL Draft that give scouts, coaches, GM’s and other front office personnel to see prospects workout in their college’s practice facility. Although the highly populated Texas Alumni quarterback Vince Young was there working out, the Steelers were not there to see him. They were most likely checking out 6-foot safety, Kenny Vaccaro.

Vaccaro is predicted to go in the middle of round one, and the Steelers hold the number 17 overall pick. Vaccaro is suffering from a hip flexor injury that he suffered from a private workout so he did not run the 40 yard dash. However, he did participate in all the other position drills. Vaccaro ran a 4.63 in the NFL Scouting Combine.

We will be breaking down Vaccaro more once the NFL Draft gets closer and we can get a little more of a feel of what the Steelers draft board may look like. Although the Steelers tend to not leak information about who they like and who they don’t like.

Flashback: The Steelers have only drafted one safety in the first round. He goes by the name of Troy Polamalu. Vaccaro is raw and if drafted, he could learn from one of the best safeties to ever lace up a pair of cleats.

http://www.steelersgab.com/2013/03/27/tomlin-spotted-at-texas-pro-day-2/

ebsteelers
03-27-2013, 03:10 PM
Tomlin Spotted At Texas Pro Day

March 27th, 2013 Brandon Sweeney

http://cdn.steelersgab.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/kv.jpg

Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin was spotted at the University of Texas‘ pro day on Tuesday. Pro day’s are workouts for players entering into the NFL Draft that give scouts, coaches, GM’s and other front office personnel to see prospects workout in their college’s practice facility. Although the highly populated Texas Alumni quarterback Vince Young was there working out, the Steelers were not there to see him. They were most likely checking out 6-foot safety, Kenny Vaccaro.

Vaccaro is predicted to go in the middle of round one, and the Steelers hold the number 17 overall pick. Vaccaro is suffering from a hip flexor injury that he suffered from a private workout so he did not run the 40 yard dash. However, he did participate in all the other position drills. Vaccaro ran a 4.63 in the NFL Scouting Combine.

We will be breaking down Vaccaro more once the NFL Draft gets closer and we can get a little more of a feel of what the Steelers draft board may look like. Although the Steelers tend to not leak information about who they like and who they don’t like.

Flashback: The Steelers have only drafted one safety in the first round. He goes by the name of Troy Polamalu. Vaccaro is raw and if drafted, he could learn from one of the best safeties to ever lace up a pair of cleats.

http://www.steelersgab.com/2013/03/27/tomlin-spotted-at-texas-pro-day-2/

hawaii couldnt help noticing your mock draft..

would we get a 1 in return from miami in 2014?
any reason you picked miami ?

Steel_Bus_24
03-27-2013, 03:17 PM
Losing allen solidifies my choice of Vaccaro over Eifret if Cooper isn't there in R1..........

teegre
03-27-2013, 03:19 PM
Losing allen solidifies my choice of Vaccaro over Eifret if Cooper isn't there in R1..........

Woah... not, THAT is a flow chart if I've ever seen one. LOL

WokeUpWithaWoodley
03-27-2013, 03:31 PM
Safety has to be one of the top two needs this year. Behide Clark and Troy we have nothing expect undrafted Robert golden.

Troy hasn't played a full season in awhile so you have to get either vaccaro or Elam this year.

MeanGee2047
03-28-2013, 01:37 AM
I fear he will be long gone by our pick....his stock is steadily rising....

Hawaii 5-0
03-28-2013, 02:06 AM
I fear he will be long gone by our pick....his stock is steadily rising....

the only team ahead of us that I'm worried about selecting Vaccaro is the St Louis Rams at #16.

Rabbit
03-28-2013, 02:16 AM
I'm a huge proponent of Kenny V, but fortunately if we miss out on him, this is a pretty loaded safety class for the first time in years. Phillip Thomas, Bacarri Rambo, DJ Swearinger, Shamarko Thomas, etc. etc.

Hawaii 5-0
03-31-2013, 01:07 PM
Uncertainty Surrounding Picks 1-16 Makes Predicting the Pittsburgh Steelers Selection at 17 Difficult

The Pittsburgh Steelers finished the 2013 season 8-8 and hold the seventeenth pick in the 2013 NFL Draft. Typically a top twenty pick should yield a high quality player and a long-term starter and the Steelers will be looking for just that in April. Since 2000 the Steelers have picked in the top twenty six times. Those picks have brought them Plaxico Burress, Troy Polamalu, Ben Roethlisberger, Lawrence Timmons and most recently Maurkice Pouncey.

All six of those players became starters for the Steelers and each of them was well worth the pick at which they were drafted. With the seventeenth pick in the 2013 NFL Draft the Steelers will look to find another player that can have an impact on the team for years to come. The Steelers could have their pick of multiple players with that pick, but it all depends on who is drafted with picks one through sixteen.

For the first time in many years the 2013 NFL Draft is very hard to figure out. There aren’t many clear-cut top-tier talents. Instead there are a lot of good players, but very few can’t-miss prospects. Just a few weeks ago Dion Jordan, an outside linebacker out of Oregon, was considered a potential pick for the Steelers in the first round. As things stand now Jordan is considered a top five pick and Jarvis Jones, an outside linebacker form Georgia, who was once considered a top five pick could now be an option for the Steelers.

Other players that are being rumored as potential targets for the Steelers in the draft include the following: safety Kenny Vaccaro of Texas, wide receiver Cordarrelle Patterson of Tennessee, wide receiver Tavon Austin of West Virginia, tight end Tyler Eifert of Notre Dame, and multiple corners. One of these players, along with Jones listed above, could be the Steelers pick in April or it could be another player. A few draft analysts have the Steelers taking a corner in the first round; the reason I didn’t list them as options is because corner is not a major need for the team despite losing Keenan Lewis in free agency.

Some analysts don’t see Vaccaro getting past the St. Louis Rams at sixteen, but if they pass on him and he does fall to the Steelers he would make a lot of sense. Troy Polamalu and Ryan Clark are getting older and the Steelers need to get replacements ready. Right now Vaccaro is considered the top safety in the draft and if the Steelers pass on him with their pick it is unlikely he will get past the Dallas Cowboys at eighteen as they have an even bigger need at safety than the Steelers.

Arguably the Steelers biggest needs are at outside linebacker, wide receiver, and running back after losing starters at each position in free agency. Outside linebacker is a deep position at the top of the draft, but for the Steelers to fill that need they will need to be lucky enough to have one of those players fall to them at seventeen. For that to happen teams will have to reach for needs, but as we have seen in years past that tends to happen in the draft.

During the 2011 NFL Draft four quarterbacks were drafted in the top twelve picks of the draft despite only two players being considered first round picks. With multiple teams in the top ten of the 2013 NFL Draft in need of quarterbacks there is a chance a few could reach for one and help push talented players closer to the Steelers pick. In that case the Steelers would be more likely to get a player like Vaccaro or Jones.

About one month ago both Jones and Texas A&M outside linebacker Damontre Moore were considered top five picks, but now both players may be available with the Steelers make their first selection. Neither player performed well in their pre-draft workouts, but based on tape the two may be the best outside linebacker available in the draft. With the absence of James Harrison the Steelers may be convinced to draft one of them and hope they can replace Harrison if Jason Worilds stuggles to do so.

However, what happens for the Steelers if teams draft based on best players available and all of these players are gone when the Steelers are put on the clock? Well they could look at a couple players that aren’t getting much mention when it comes to the Steelers first pick. Arthur Brown, an inside linebacker out of Kansas State, is considered by some as the best inside linebacker in the draft. With Larry Foote getting older the Steelers need a long-term replacement alongside Lawrence Timmons and Brown could be just that player.

The Steelers are also not expected to bring back long-time nose tackle Casey Hampton. Steve McLendon, who was Hampton’s back-up in 2012, is expected to become the starter, but if the Steelers are concerned about the position in the long run they could look to add a nose tackle. There are a few good nose tackles in this draft and none should have been taken before the Steelers are put on the clock.

Hopefully the Steelers will have their choice of a couple of good prospects or perhaps another top players will fall to them as happend in last year’s draft when David DeCastro fell to the Steelers at the twenty-fourth overall pick. However, if there top players are off the board and they can’t find a trade partner the Steelers may be forced to fill a hole they hadn’t planned on addressing in the first round of the draft. Luckily for them their drafting history in the top twenty is very good and they should still be able to find a player that can help the team.

Another thing to keep in mind as the Steelers prepare for the draft is that if they are looking for a player that can make an immediate impact they may have to look for a player on the offensive side of the ball. The last time a rookie started on the Steelers defense was in 2001 when Kendrell Bell started at middle linebacker.

http://steelblitz.com/predicting-the-pittsburgh-steelers-selection-at-17-difficult/2946/

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-31-2013, 01:47 PM
. [B]The last time a rookie started on the Steelers defense was in 2001 when Kendrell Bell started at middle linebacker.

http://steelblitz.com/predicting-the-pittsburgh-steelers-selection-at-17-difficult/2946/

So funny. 90% of fans think a 1st round pick is going to start right away. That stat shows that the transition to the NFL is harder than its made up to be on Madden '13.

Hawaii 5-0
03-31-2013, 01:52 PM
So funny. 90% of fans think a 1st round pick is going to start right away. That stat shows that the transition to the NFL is harder than its made up to be on Madden '13.

not to mention having to get a degree in rocket science in order to learn Dick LeBeau's complicated defensive schemes...

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-31-2013, 06:45 PM
not to mention having to get a degree in rocket science in order to learn Dick LeBeau's complicated defensive schemes...

Yeah, like nobody else runs complex defenses in the NFL. :chuckle: Its still just technique, not rocket science as you say.

PhantomJB93
03-31-2013, 07:40 PM

Kenny Vaccaro wouldn't start immediately, but would undoubtedly see time as a starter as a rookie simply due to injury. Even if not a starter he would find the field in nickel and dime packages much more than any LB or DL is going to.

I'm not sure he'll be there like others but he definitely seems the "safest" pick to me. The OLBs in the first round seem like such high risk/reward players with high upside but almost as high bust potential. I know nothing is a "sure thing" but Vaccaro seems like a lock to be at least a solid starting safety.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-31-2013, 08:39 PM
Kenny Vaccaro wouldn't start immediately, but would undoubtedly see time as a starter as a rookie simply due to injury. Even if not a starter he would find the field in nickel and dime packages much more than any LB or DL is going to.

I'm not sure he'll be there like others but he definitely seems the "safest" pick to me. The OLBs in the first round seem like such high risk/reward players with high upside but almost as high bust potential. I know nothing is a "sure thing" but Vaccaro seems like a lock to be at least a solid starting safety.

Yeah, just get a "good football player" at any position like Safety, OLB, CB in the 1st and I'll be happy.

Bane
04-01-2013, 09:49 AM
After watching Steve Mariucci's show last night, I would be really happy with Cordarrelle Patterson.

Hawaii 5-0
04-04-2013, 11:22 PM
Apr 2nd, 2013 by Dominic Di Tolla

1)17. Pittsburgh Steelers: Kenny Vaccaro FS/SS (Texas)

If the Steelers look for a safety early, they might be wise to target the talented Kenny Vaccaro (6’1″ 218 lbs.) as they begin the rebuilding process in their secondary. Vaccaro was the Longhorns’ leading tackler last year (104) and added 4.0 tackles for loss, forced two fumbles, and made 2 interceptions as well. A two-and-a-half year starter at Texas (31 Starts, 50 Games), Vaccaro played both free and strong safety during his collegiate career, and is adept at helping with coverage in the slot in “Big Nickel” packages too.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2013/04/02/2013-nfl-mock-draft-3-full-rounds-pittsburgh-steelers-picks-rounds-1-7/2/

WokeUpWithaWoodley
04-05-2013, 01:57 AM
Apr 2nd, 2013 by Dominic Di Tolla

1)17. Pittsburgh Steelers: Kenny Vaccaro FS/SS (Texas)

If the Steelers look for a safety early, they might be wise to target the talented Kenny Vaccaro (6’1″ 218 lbs.) as they begin the rebuilding process in their secondary. Vaccaro was the Longhorns’ leading tackler last year (104) and added 4.0 tackles for loss, forced two fumbles, and made 2 interceptions as well. A two-and-a-half year starter at Texas (31 Starts, 50 Games), Vaccaro played both free and strong safety during his collegiate career, and is adept at helping with coverage in the slot in “Big Nickel” packages too.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2013/04/02/2013-nfl-mock-draft-3-full-rounds-pittsburgh-steelers-picks-rounds-1-7/2/

Wow Hawaii, I was going to post my mock as my signature and it was going to be exactly the same for th first four. Expect I'd have woods/Hopkins in the second and bell/Ellington in the third thn hodges/sio Moore in the fouth. I don't think it will change from today till the draft.

I like the Holmes pick, and Griffin pick very solid

Vaccaro
Woods/Hopkins
Bell/Ellington
Hodges/Moore

I'd be a very very happy man.

Hawaii 5-0
04-05-2013, 02:12 AM
Wow Hawaii, I was going to post my mock as my signature and it was going to be exactly the same for th first four. Expect I'd have woods/Hopkins in the second and bell/Ellington in the third thn hodges/sio Moore in the fouth. I don't think it will change from today till the draft.

I like the Holmes pick, and Griffin pick very solid

thanks, great minds obviously think alike! :drink:

btw, did you know that Khaled Holmes is Troy Polamalu's brother-in-law?

WokeUpWithaWoodley
04-05-2013, 02:23 AM

No I did not. Wonder if Troy has made a nice case for him. Would be a solid pick in be 5th IMO.

Note: how many of you hate the draft being on 3 days. I loved laying around for 12 hours on a Saturday with food/beer and watching the draft.

Galax Steeler
04-05-2013, 03:26 AM
No I did not. Wonder if Troy has made a nice case for him. Would be a solid pick in be 5th IMO.

Note: how many of you hate the draft being on 3 days. I loved laying around for 12 hours on a Saturday with food/beer and watching the draft.

yea I really liked the old way better not on a Thursday night when you have to work the next day.

teegre
04-05-2013, 07:49 AM

I've listed Holmes (and/or Joe Madsen) as my R6 pick(s). Those two would give depth to the interior of the line (like Beachum gives depth to the OT positions).

And, No, I didn't know that. It reminds me of when Tom Coughlin drafted his son-in-law (Chris Snee). Everyone busted Coughlin's chops for being a Homer... but, it turned out to be a great pick.

I'm hoping for the same with Holmes.

Hawaii 5-0
04-07-2013, 02:29 AM
Kenny Vaccaro may be a target of the Dolphins at No. 12

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 6, 2013

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/kennyvaccaro.jpg?w=250

Most mock drafts — including our own — have Texas safety Kenny Vaccaro going off the board somewhere in the high teens or low twenties. But Vaccaro’s draft stock may be rising a little higher than that.

The Dolphins, owners of the No. 12 overall pick, have scheduled a visit with Vaccaro, ESPN.com reports.

An All-American at Texas as a senior, Vaccaro is considered by just about everyone to be the best safety in this year’s draft. He’s considered a versatile player who plays well against the run near the line of scrimmage and is strong in coverage.

The Dolphins’ starting safeties at the moment are Reshad Jones and Chris Clemons. Vaccaro is a player with the talent to start as a rookie. Perhaps in Miami.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/06/kenny-vaccaro-may-be-a-target-of-the-dolphins-at-no-12/

bornaSteelersfan
04-07-2013, 05:02 AM
I think Kenny has just the right amount of tattoos for Miami.

Hawaii 5-0
04-15-2013, 02:28 PM
The Z Report

A sports blog with Lance Zierlein
Mock Draft 2.0
Friday, April 12, 2013

1. Kansas City - Eric Fisher, OT, C. Michigan: I’m not sold on Fisher being better than Joeckel, but he is the better athlete so that could swing the decision in his favor. It is not out of the question that KC goes in a direction other than tackle though.

2. Jacksonville Dion Jordan, OLB, Oregon: Jordan can fit right into new defensive coordinator Gus Bradley’s defense and he might have the most upside of any defensive player in this draft. Jordan can rush the passer, drop into coverage and be effective in multiple defensive fronts.

3. Oakland - Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida: I don’t feel great about this one. The Raiders could go in a number of directions and even though they need help at defensive tackle. Reggie McKenzie comes from Green Bay where they liked to build on the defensive front so he is likely to give that the first consideration.

4. Philadelphia - Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia: I was told to “plug Geno in here” by a league source and I usually listen when this guy speaks. Kelly’s offense probably won’t ask the QB to run as much as people would like to believe, but I do think his offense will try to stretch the field and play up-tempo which is something that Geno Smith is used to.

5. Detroit - Ezekiel Ansah, DE, BYU: The Lions need help at tackle, cornerback and defensive end, but Ansah has an extremely high ceiling and the Lions could still find tackle help early in the 2nd round.

6. Cleveland - Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama: The Browns actually have some decent talent at various positions so they aren’t in any type of panic situation in terms of taking a particular position. With that said, Milliner makes sense and gives the Browns one of the best, young duo of CBs in the AFC.

7. Arizona - Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M: If the Cardinals have Joeckel fall to them at 7, they had better turn their draft card in within 5 seconds. It wouldn’t shock me, however, if teams started calling in an effort to trade up to this spot if the draft board shakes out like this. Joeckel is a very safe selection.

8. Buffalo - Ryan Nassib, QB, Syracuse: It pains me to put Nassib here, but I think there is a very good chance it happens. New Bills head coach, Doug Marrone, coached Nassib at Syracuse and they could take Nassib here and let him wait a year behind Kevin Kolb.

9. NY Jets - Tavon Austin, WR, W. Virginia: New offensive coordinator was hired to make the stagnant Jets offense more explosive, but to do that, he needs some new, better players. Austin is a dynamic playmaker who would immediately make the Jets 3-WR sets much more dangerous…. even with Sanchez at QB.

10. Miami (Trade with Tennessee) - Lane Johnson, LT, Oklahoma: The Dolphins had better think twice about letting Jonathan Martin take whoopings at LT. He’s not good enough to man that spot. The Dolphins have extra ammunition to move up and if Lane Johnson is still there at #10, the Titans will get a ton calls for this pick.

11. San Diego - Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama: I’m never a fan of taking a guard this early, but the Chargers offensive line is a disgrace and Warmack gives them an instant upgrade to their run game.

12. Tennessee (Trade w/ Miami) - Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri: The Titans need all kinds of help which is why moving back and adding picks makes the most sense. Richardson gives them an athletic DT who could become a highly disruptive force if he takes coaching.

13. Tampa Bay - Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah: Almost everyone has CB in this spot, but can Tampa pass up on Lotulelei? Maybe, maybe not. It would depend on how they have the CBs graded in this draft. Lotulelei helps to build the Bucs front and give Gerald McCoy help inside.

14. Carolina - Sylvester Williams, DT, UNC: Williams is shooting up draft boards thanks to his ability to disrupt and penetrate. The Panthers need WR help as well, but I don’t see one worthy of the 14th selection. Williams addressing a pressing need for the Panthers.

15. New Orleans - Jarvis Jones, LB, Georgia: : The Saints are moving to a 3-4 and they are in desperate need of an OLB with pass rushing ability who can also play in space and Jones is that guy. Don’t let the slow 40 time fool you as his game speed is just fine.

16. St. Louis - Jonathan Cooper, OG, UNC: The Rams have a couple of first round picks and Cooper would give the Rams an immediate upgrade at the LG spot and would upgrade their rushing attack which helps to take pressure off of the passing offense.

17. Pittsburgh - Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas: The Steelers safety combination of Polamalu is getting old. Polamalu will be 32 during the season and has missed 22 games over the last four years while Ryan Clark will be 34 in October. The Steelers stick to their draft board and they love tough players. Vaccaro shows some of the same qualities as Polamalu and let’s not forget that Kevin Colbert moved up in the draft to take Polamalu with the 16th pick in 2003 so it isn’t like he won’t consider a safety in the 1st round if he thinks he’s a special athlete/player.

18. Dallas - D.J. Fluker, RT/OG, Alabama: I’m on record as saying that I believe that Fluker will ultimately have to move to guard due to his lack of quickness, but his power is undeniable in the running game. Whether he ends up playing tackle or guard, he immediately makes the Cowboys a better run blocking unit the minute he puts his helmet on.

19. NY Giants - Barkevious Mingo, OLB : The Giants have had a great deal of success thanks in part to stockpiling athletic DEs. The Giants didn’t get much from Justin Tuck and Mingo gives them an athlete who could come in and help as a situational pass rusher right away.

20. Chicago – Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington: While many will put a LB in this spot, the Bears won’t reach for need. The Bears could very well look to add to their defensive front since that is what they love to do, but Trufant gives them more size at CB and helps them prepare to battle against the Packers offense.

21. Cincinnati - Arthur Brown, LB, Kansas State: The Bengals got spotty play from Rey Maualuga last season and their LBs were exploited in coverage in big games. Brown has the speed to run sideline to sideline and will upgrade coverage from LB position.

22. St. Louis - Jonathan Cyprien, S, Florida International: The Rams safety position is a mess and Cyprien might be the Rams “Wolf.” Cyprien lived near the line of scrimmage in college, but he showed an ability to play with range when asked.

23. Minnesota – Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State: The Vikings like their physical CBs with size and Rhodes has size AND speed although I don’t always see the transition speed I would like when he’s in press coverage. If Rhodes were to fall this far, it would be hard for the Vikings to pass on him.

24. Indianapolis - Datone Jones, DE, UCLA: Chuck Pagano understands that good 3-4 defenses are built around good fronts. Jones has the frame to play at 290+ and he would have plus pass rush skill for the DE spot in that defense. The other option to consider is if the Colts would take Bjoern Werner to play OLB if he’s still around.

25. Minnesota - DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson: Hopkins is more game-ready than Cordarrelle Patterson in my opinion despite not being the same level of athlete. The Vikings need help with their passing game to help diversify their offense and Hopkins has a chance to come in and help quickly.

26. Green Bay - Menelik Watson, RT, Florida State: One of these days, the Packers are going to get their tackle issues fixed and this might be the year they take another shot at it in the first round. The problem? I don’t think Watson is ready to step in and start as a rookie as he’s still way too raw despite having upside potential.

27. Houston - Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame: If the board falls this way, the Texans would have to strongly consider taking Eifert at this spot. Gary Kubiak and Rick Smith are from a system that has rarely valued the WR position as a 1st round pick dating back to their Denver days and I’m not sure that is going to change this year despite their massive need at that position. Eifert is a very effective pass catcher who would often line up split out at WR at Notre Dame. He’s more fluid in space than of the other TEs the Texans have, but he would need to convince the Texans he could become a serviceable blocker since they don’t carry TEs who don’t block at all. If the Texans were to draft Eifert, that would mean they could strongly consider cutting Owen Daniels after 2013 and clearing some cap space in an effort to get Brian Cushing’s new deal done and maybe even J.J. Watt’s. Safety is a possibility in this spot and I’m sure they will definitely have Datone Jones and Margus Hunt on their board as well since Antonio Smith’s contract is up after 2013 and both Jones and Hunt are good fits in Wade Phillips’ 1-gap scheme.

28. Denver - Bjoern Werner, DE: Werner might go way, way earlier than this, but his lack of true edge speed has some teams worried and more than a couple of teams have told me that they can’t see him going inside the top 18 picks. The Broncos lost Dumervil and need an every down replacement and Werner could be that guy. He fits with the style that John Fox likes as well.

29. New England - Margus Hunt, DE, SMU: Hunt is still a raw talent, but the Patriots aren’t afraid to take early chances on raw talent provided that they have superior athletic ability for their size (see Sebastian Volmer draft pick). Hunt has strength, length and terrific quickness for his size. He’s a Belichick kind of guy.

30. Atlanta - Tank Carradine, DE, Florida State: If Carradine falls to 30, the Falcons would have to consider racing up to the podium with their draft card considering what a huge area of need that position is and how little talent there is at that position outside of the top 40 or so picks.

31. San Francisco - Jesse Williams, NT, Alabama: The rich get richer in this scenario. What do you give the team that has almost everything? You give them a plugger in the middle who can keep their LBs clean. Williams plays with great sturdiness at the point of attack and fills the hole left by Isaac Sopoago’s departure.

32. Baltimore – Alec Ogletree, LB, Georgia: There are a number of directions the Ravens could go here with this pick. If Cordarrelle Patterson is still on the board (and he very well could be), then the Ravens could look at him to pair with Torrey Smith. The Ravens could also look to safeties like Eric Reid or Matt Elam. In the end, Ogletree might be the highest rated player on their board and give them a new ILB to start from day 1.

http://blog.chron.com/fantasyfootball/2013/04/mock-draft-2-0-texans-get-a-weapon/

Bane
04-15-2013, 03:01 PM
I've been watching more and more videos on Kenny Vaccaro. Dude's a Steeler, in my mind. From what (admittedly little) tape I've seen, he seems to wrap up often and be a pretty ferocious hitter, on top of being able to fly around. There were a few plays in a highlight tape I saw that reminded me of Troy Polamalu pummeling Chris Johnson after dashing to the line of scrimmage from twenty-plus yards back.

I've all but signed Kenny to an extension at this point, in my mind.

cowherpower
04-16-2013, 06:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gF_CU3HOac

tape from the bowl game versus Oregon St.

To recap. He takes himself out of plays a couple of times. He gets several tackles after big gains. He breaks up a pass (very nice). He shows okay speed for college. Gets a personal foul for hitting someone.

If you watch the tape all the way through and see a top 20 pick then great. I personally don't see it. I think he can help but there is a bigger bust potential taking him there. Now, if he falls he becomes a great value in round 2.

Rick5895
04-17-2013, 04:40 AM
you can watch tape on any of the "top rated" players at any position, there will be flaws and mistakes. Remember these guys are college kids and they will still make mistakes. Pro's do. He is the top safety available in this draft and safety is a definite need for us. If he is available at 17 we should likely take him.
That being said I am expecting a surprise pick at 17 by the Steelers , assuming we don't trade down. Tyler Eifert anyone?

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
04-17-2013, 05:41 AM
That being said I am expecting a surprise pick at 17 by the Steelers , assuming we don't trade down. Tyler Eifert anyone?

I think it comes down to who the Rams draft and I think it will be either Vaccaro or Patterson and the one they dont pick will be our pick.

TRH
04-17-2013, 07:56 AM
i'd like him alot but i don't see how there's any possible way we'll pass on Jarvis Jones if he's still available when we pick.

Hawaii 5-0
04-21-2013, 01:26 AM
Physical safety Kenny Vaccaro making his case to be a high draft pick

http://media.miamiherald.com/smedia/2013/04/19/16/30/wQ5cb.St.56.jpg

Safety Kenny Vaccaro is measured for scouts at Texas' NFL football pro day, Tuesday, March 26, 2013, in Austin, Texas.

BY ADAM H. BEASLEY

Tavon Austin doesn’t need much time or space to get up to speed. So when he has both, he is nearly impossible to catch.

Safety Kenny Vaccaro had that unenviable assignment on a play late in October’s West Virginia-Texas showdown. Austin — the Mountaineers’ diminutive but electric wide receiver — took a pitch on an end-around and appeared to have the angle to the sidelines.

He didn’t. Vaccaro tracked Austin across the field, cut him off at the pass and tripped him up after just a short gain.

Now, one play doesn’t make a career. (Austin did have more than 100 yards receiving that night, although not all against Vaccaro.)

Still, that flash of athleticism helps give the counterpoint to doubts about Vaccaro’s speed — arguably the only thing stopping him from being a top-10 pick in next week’s NFL Draft. And should the Dolphins take Vaccaro over Austin at No. 12, it might be one of the reasons why.

Former NFL scout and current NFL Network analyst Daniel Jeremiah called Vaccaro’s showdown with Austin the defensive back’s “highlight moment.”

“You got to see him move around,” Jeremiah said. “He’s a physical kid. He’ll light you up.”

The Dolphins have noticed. They made Vaccaro one of their final predraft guests, which could mean they have real interest in taking him in the first round. (It could also be a smokescreen.)

Should they pick Vaccaro, the Dolphins would get a player most everyone sees as the year’s best safety — Vaccaro included.

“I think I bring the most to the table,” Vaccaro said at the NFL Combine in February.

The two-time All-Big 12 selection appeared in 51 games at Texas, starting 32 at safety — including every game his final two years.

Vaccaro, a native of Brownwood, Texas, and nephew of former Redskins corner A.J. Johnson, toyed with the idea of jumping to the NFL last year. But he returned to win a national championship.

It didn’t work out. Texas lost four times (including to Austin’s Mountaineers) in 2012, yet Vaccaro was stellar. He had a career-high 92 tackles — 4.5 of which were for loss — and two interceptions en route to Pro Football Weekly All-American honors.

“I think he’s one of the 10 or 12 best players in the draft,” Jeremiah said.

In college, Vaccaro played both safety positions, nickel cornerback and the dime position. In one-on-one reps at practice, he went against wide receivers.

“He’s a good, physical safety,” said Baylor receiver Terrance Williams. “You have to be paying attention when he’s guarding you. He’s someone that will jam you at the line of scrimmage. He has a good job of being physical but not too physical.”

ESPN draft expert Mel Kiper isn’t quite so bullish.

Vaccaro ran a 4.59-second 40-yard dash at the Combine, which hurt his stock. Making matters worse, he didn’t run at Texas’ pro day because of a hip injury.

“Maybe three months ago or two months ago I would have said Vaccaro at 12; now I’m thinking more Vaccaro at 22 to St. Louis,” Kiper said recently. “Good football player, but I don’t know if you have to have the justification of the numbers to get up into the top 15, and I don’t think he did at this stage.”

To that, Vaccaro would say: Turn on the West Virginia tape.

“Me and Tavon were going at it all game,” Vaccaro said. “He’s a great player. I think I did pretty good. I would say he’s one of the most explosive players in the country and I’d say I was right there with him.”

• Randy Starks’ absence this week has made little impact on his contract situation. As of Friday, the two sides had not engaged in talks about an extension.

The Dolphins’ franchise tag designee has elected to sit out the voluntary program but will participate in the mandatory camps.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/04/20/3353863/physical-speedy-safety-kenny-vaccaro.html#storylink=cpy