PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh Steelers renegotiating contract

Vis
02-26-2013, 03:29 PM
http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/33155/Roethlisberger--Pittsburgh-Steelers-renegotiating-contract/Default.aspx

The Pittsburgh Steelers and representatives for quarterback Ben Roethlisberger have worked on renegotiating the two-time Super Bowl champion's contract, and an agreement could come by the end week, Albert Breer of NFL Network and NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000145458/article/ben-roethlisberger-pittsburgh-steelers-renegotiating-contract) citing a source apprised of the process.

Roethlisberger is scheduled to carry a prohibitive cap figure of $19.595 million in 2013, and the Steelers are working through tricky waters in regard to the salary cap, which is expected to land between $122 million and $123 million for this season. The Steelers, as it stands right now, have 10 players accounting for just over $100 million in cap space, and linebacker James Harrison (2013 cap hit: $10.035 million) is one player the team has been trying to make a decision on.

At this point, the expectation is that Roethlisberger's deal will be renegotiated, not extended. The Steelers' precedent has been to extend quarterbacks with two years left on their contracts, and that would mean Roethlisberger could get a new deal next offseason.

harrison'samonster
02-26-2013, 03:32 PM
this is going to be interesting to see how it plays out

austinfrench76
02-26-2013, 04:03 PM
Let's see BB do a "Brady" and help us out!!!!!!! Please!

Vis
02-26-2013, 04:12 PM
Let's see BB do a "Brady" and help us out!!!!!!! Please!

The Brady story was wrong.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/26/tom-brady-gets-30-million-to-sign/

stb_steeler
02-26-2013, 04:18 PM
this is going to be interesting to see how it plays out

I think it will get resolved, but non the less interesting!

Vis
02-26-2013, 04:18 PM
Add Timmons to the restructure list

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-working-to-restructure-contracts-ahead-of-cap-deadline-676968/#ixzz2M2UUHTMZ

The Steelers are working with agents to restructure some of their veteran players' contracts as they move to get under the NFL's salary cap as required by March 12.

Among those they will restructure are Ben Roethlisberger and Lawrence Timmons, and both could be done before the end of this week. They may want to know if they'll have enough to try to sign free agent receiver Steve Breaston, who plans to visit their South Side facility Thursday or Friday.

They also met with Bill Parise, the agent for James Harrison, at the NFL combine to discuss his contract situation.

None of those whose contracts are restructured will lose money. The new deals do not add years to the players' contracts either, they merely are reworked for bookkeeping purposes to create salary cap room.

Typically, they turn much of a players' 2013 salary into a bonus, which are pro-rated over the life of the contract for salary cap purposes.

For example, Roethlisberger is signed for the next three seasons. His salary for 2013 is $11.6 million. To make it simple, they could take $9 million of that salary and put it into a bonus, spreading the cap hit at $3 million per year on the books. That would create $6 million in salary cap room with Roethlisberger, who would still receive $11.6 million this year.

Same with Timmons, who has four years left on his contract. He is due a salary of $5.375 million this year. They could put $4 million of that into a bonus and save another $3 million in cap room this year.

Harrison's case is different. He is due $6.57 million this year and $7.57 million in 2014. Conceivably, they could turn most of his salary in 2013 into a bonus and save some room. They also could be preparing to ask him, at age 35, to take a pay cut. Parise said while they met in Indianapolis, neither option was discussed but that they plan to meet again.

Another likely candidate to restructure to create room is LaMarr Woodley, although they have not approched him yet. He has four years left on his contract with a $9 million salary scheduled for 2013. They could create approximately $6 million in cap space with him.

Besides restructuring players' contracts, they also may release a veteran or two.

MasterOfPuppets
02-26-2013, 04:31 PM
colbert - "james we need you to take a pay cut...."

http://www.pittsburghmagazine.com/Best-of-the-Burgh-Blogs/Pulling-No-Punches/November-2010/dianasteelers0831aa_500.jpg

Buddha Bus
02-26-2013, 04:42 PM
I guess it's a good news/bad news scenario. Good for the short-term, but doesn't this just keep putting a Band-Aid on a bullet hole? These restructures are part of why we're in this mess to begin with. Sadly, and I hate to say it, I think we need to release Harrison if he won't take the pay cut. We can't keep mortgaging the future for a short-term fix.

PhantomJB93
02-26-2013, 04:56 PM
Is it a restructure or a re-negotiation? I find it interesting that they never use the term "restructure" which is what we usually do which kills our cap, "renegotiating" implies to me that he's straight up taking a pay cut.

Buddha Bus
02-26-2013, 05:00 PM
Is it a restructure or a re-negotiation? I find it interesting that they never use the term "restructure" which is what we usually do which kills our cap, "renegotiating" implies to me that he's straight up taking a pay cut.

Good point. I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention to the wording. It may still be the same thing though.

I would think that if Ben was taking a pay cut to help the team, they'd come right out and say that. I'm sure they would want the fans to know how much of a team player he was being. I guess we'll see soon enough.

Vis
02-26-2013, 05:37 PM

The Post Gazette story says restructure, not renegotiate. No point in a semantics argument.

Steel Peon
02-26-2013, 08:14 PM
The Steelers, as it stands right now, have 10 players accounting for just over $100 million in cap space

:jawdrop::help: Wow, that figure is jarring to look at, and I really wish I kept better track of these things. Not that it would help the Steelers, rather it would just help me, so I'm not as dumbfounded when I see the actual numbers in print. But really though, I know the cap price gets steeper for veterans who become more valuable for the team, but shouldn't a players cap hit get less severe once they start getting past a certain age? Just sayin'...... ......thoughts?

tony hipchest
02-26-2013, 08:54 PM
I guess it's a good news/bad news scenario. Good for the short-term, but doesn't this just keep putting a Band-Aid on a bullet hole? These restructures are part of why we're in this mess to begin with. Sadly, and I hate to say it, I think we need to release Harrison if he won't take the pay cut. We can't keep mortgaging the future for a short-term fix.

for about 5 years the salary cap was rising about $7 mil/year.

for the past 3 years the salary cap has remained stagnant.

during that time the owners are threatend with lawsuits for collusion to keep the salaries low in 2010 and the league has signed multi billion dollar deals in television extensions.

in the name of parity, i think goodell has manipulated shit to the point where cheap ass low ball owners such as the browns, bungles, tampa bay can catch up, while the high rollers such as snyder and jones dont suffer. in the meantime, it is teams who spend to the cap every year, such as the giants and steelers who suffer.

:noidea:

the good thing is, is that rodger made $30,000,000 last year and since the new CBA there is a rule in place forcing the cheap teams to spend up to the salary cap "floor".

point is, i think the rooneys only continued to push money into the future with the anticipation that the salary cap would continue to rise on the steady pace it had been.

Hawaii 5-0
02-27-2013, 12:39 AM
Lawrence Timmons restructures contract, Steelers save $5 million

By SteelCityRoller on Feb 26,

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/8780587/gyi0061910995.0_standard_500.0.jpg

Hours after rumors began to swirl about possible restructures before the end of the week, Albert Breer reports Timmons' deal is done.

The first restructure of the off-season has been reported for the Pittsburgh Steelers. According to Albert Breer of NFL.com and NFL Network, Lawrence Timmons restructured his deal today, and the team is expected to save approximately $5 million against the 2013 NFL salary cap.

The restructures of Timmons and Ben Roethlisberger were expected. With Timmons confirmed, news on Roethlisberger should come shortly. LaMarr Woodley is also widely considered a candidate for restructure, leaving the team about $6 million to clear with his.

Timmons was scheduled for a base salary of $5.375 million plus a $2.5 million roster bonus - which is restructurable - in 2013. His restructure turned part of his convertible salary into a signing bonus, which for cap purposes spread the amount of converted salary across the four years remaining on his contract, counting 2013. In other words, the Steelers saved $5 million against 2013, but added almost $1.7 million in dead money to each of the three remaining years. This also means, Timmons' resulting signing bonus was in the neighborhood of $6.7 million, which he received up front. Any remaining money will be paid out to him on a weekly basis per CBA policies.

The Steelers still have some work to do to prepare for the March 12th deadline, when they must be cap compliant to the rule of 51. Good news speculated by PFT is placing the new salary cap even higher, suggesting it could surpass $123 million. This alleviates some of the need for cap space, but not all.

Mr. Roethlisberger, you're on the clock.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/2/26/4034062/lawrence-timmons-restructures-contract-steelers-save-5-million

tony hipchest
02-27-2013, 12:44 AM
the steelers typically only restructure those who they deem worthy of living out the full terms of the contract. this may explain why the "bank of woodley" isnt the first to be tapped.

Bane
02-27-2013, 12:44 AM
I can't help but feel like this will come back to violently shred the Steelers' asses in the near future.

I've got faith in Colbert though. I don't have his job for a reason.

tony hipchest
02-27-2013, 12:55 AM
:jawdrop::help: Wow, that figure is jarring to look at, and I really wish I kept better track of these things. Not that it would help the Steelers, rather it would just help me, so I'm not as dumbfounded when I see the actual numbers in print. But really though, I know the cap price gets steeper for veterans who become more valuable for the team, but shouldn't a players cap hit get less severe once they start getting past a certain age? Just sayin'...... ......thoughts?

this is the case for most teams that dont suck.

of course you will find teams like the 49ers, who have been bottom dwellers since the 90's who prove to be the exception to the rule.

you will also find teams like the raiders and the redskins who dont know how to spend their money, who get into cap hell and still suck for years.

teegre
02-27-2013, 01:38 AM
Word is: now that the Taperiots have some extra cash, either Dwayne Bowe or Mike Wallace will be their free agent target.

BB has stated that re-signing Wallace is "his" top priority. I have stated that I figured that BB would give back some of his won money, in order to re-sign Wallace. Maybe this is what is happening. Just a thought.

Boom!!! This now becomes a Wallace thread. :wink02:

Seriously, though, please, let's not turn this into a Wallace thread. Whether or not you or I want him on the team is not really the point; the point is that there might soon be money to re-sign SOMEONE (Wallace, Lewis...).

teegre
02-27-2013, 01:41 AM
for about 5 years the salary cap was rising about $7 mil/year.

for the past 3 years the salary cap has remained stagnant.

during that time the owners are threatend with lawsuits for collusion to keep the salaries low in 2010 and the league has signed multi billion dollar deals in television extensions.

in the name of parity, i think goodell has manipulated shit to the point where cheap ass low ball owners such as the browns, bungles, tampa bay can catch up, while the high rollers such as snyder and jones dont suffer. in the meantime, it is teams who spend to the cap every year, such as the giants and steelers who suffer.

:noidea:

the good thing is, is that rodger made $30,000,000 last year and since the new CBA there is a rule in place forcing the cheap teams to spend up to the salary cap "floor".

point is, i think the rooneys only continued to push money into the future with the anticipation that the salary cap would continue to rise on the steady pace it had been.

Yep.

If the cap had gone up as to the original plan, the Steelers would have been right at the cap the past two seasons. The freeze messed up their "checkbook" so to speak. The silver lining is that it has forced them to make cuts (while some of those cuts have been good, others have & will be very tough).

If they can weather this current storm, they should once again be fine in two seasons (when the cap goes back up).

Steel Peon
02-27-2013, 11:10 AM
you will also find teams like the raiders and the redskins who dont know how to spend their money, who get into cap hell and still suck for years.

Yeah, and I'd also like to lump the Browns into this, simply on the subject of Joshua Cribbs. I think it was like 4 years ago when there was a big controversy about if the Browns could afford to keep Cribbs, and I thought to myself: "If they can't afford to pay Cribbs, then who the fuck'r they paying?" I'd say it'd be fun sometime to go through all the worst team's payrolls, and see who exactly is sucking up the cap space. In the case of the Browns I wanna know........who the fuck'r they payin'?

Hawaii 5-0
02-27-2013, 11:27 AM
Boom!!! This now becomes a Wallace thread. :wink02:

[B]Seriously, though, please, let's not turn this into a Wallace thread.

hey, you can never have enough Mike Wallace threads...:chuckle:

teegre
02-27-2013, 11:31 AM
hey, you can never have enough Mike Wallace threads...:chuckle:

Fire BeLeau threads are also few & far between.

steelfury02
02-27-2013, 12:49 PM
Wallace sucks

"oops, I did it again . . ."

ebsteelers
02-27-2013, 01:40 PM
im trying to understand this ..

marsha got a longer deal ..
will make more in long term and saves pats cap space.

how do they manage to do that?

unreal

Hawaii 5-0
02-27-2013, 02:26 PM
Fire BeLeau threads are also few & far between.

it's a shame we don't Bruce Arians to kick around anymore...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_WVccjCgVIU4/SNbaGiC2NsI/AAAAAAAAABs/Fr4qoaevu3Q/s320/blame-arians.jpg

GMU Steeler
02-27-2013, 02:27 PM

unreal

I think the money is nearly all guaranteed. Not sure though.

Bane
02-27-2013, 03:02 PM
Reports coming in that Antonio Brown has also restructured his contract. It was on the NFL Network, so I can't post a source, but I'll get an article when one comes up.

GMU Steeler
02-27-2013, 03:04 PM
Reports coming in that Antonio Brown has also restructured his contract. It was on the NFL Network, so I can't post a source, but I'll get an article when one comes up.

Pretty cool of him to do that just one year into what will probably be his biggest contract as a pro.

sloppyjoe
02-27-2013, 03:10 PM
i dont understand why fans give credit to players for restructuring their deals.
they dont lose any money.
they get a large portion of it up front and its guaranteed.

Bane
02-27-2013, 03:12 PM
i dont understand why fans give credit to players for restructuring their deals.

True. If anything they gain money.

teegre
02-27-2013, 03:14 PM

unreal

Here is how it works:

Brady "was" to make $30 million guaranteed. If he is cut or injured, he still would have gotten $30 million. By extending his contract by three years, he got $57 million guaranteed.

"Then, how is it possible that the Taperiots saved money?" you ask.

The next two years, he was scheduled to make around $40 million dollars (with a cap hit of $20 million per year). The extension was for only $9 million per year (3 years $27 million)... which is $67 million over five years... and thus, the cap hit is only $13.5 million per season.

Additonally, the Taperiots can push back the "signing bonus" to other years ($5 million this year & next year, but $19 million in 2016, 2017, & 2018), which creates extra cap room for this season.

Note: The Taperiots are reportedly, going for broke... all out for one final run at Brady's fourth ring. Then, they will be in cap hell... but, by then, Brady will have retired... with still only three rings!!! Muh-ha-ha-ha!!!

teegre
02-27-2013, 03:20 PM
I think the money is nearly all guaranteed. Not sure though.

Bingo!!!

He went from an average of $20 million per season to $13.5 million per season... but, now, if he is cut or injured (Calling Bernard Pollard), he still gets $57 million of his $67 million salary (as opposed to only $30 million).

Salaries mean squat. Guaranteed money is what players want.

GMU Steeler
02-27-2013, 03:35 PM
Bingo!!!

He went from an average of $20 million per season to $13.5 million per season... but, now, if he is cut or injured (Calling Bernard Pollard), he still gets $57 million of his $67 million salary (as opposed to only $30 million).

Salaries mean squat. Guaranteed money is what players want.

And an injury very well could happen since he's getting up there in age. Really, it was a win-win situation for him and the Pats to do this deal. The media attempt to circle jerk him over this is silly.

zcoop
02-27-2013, 03:49 PM

^ This, I ain't mad at them either. Its a Win - Win at least on the surface.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-27-2013, 05:02 PM

Only the up front money in signing bonus is guaranteed. Teams intentionally back load huge money in a contract, because they dont expect players to collect on that.

Its a one way deal where the team can cut a guy at any time and not have to pay him. Where players like Wallace are expected to play on a crappy rookie deal with no long term security.

I dont get fans who think that a guy is wrong to hold out when he overperforms his contract, when owners can cut him any time if he underperforms his contract.

teegre
02-27-2013, 06:33 PM
Only the up front money in signing bonus is guaranteed. Teams intentionally back load huge money in a contract, because they dont expect players to collect on that.

Its a one way deal where the team can cut a guy at any time and not have to pay him. Where players like Wallace are expected to play on a crappy rookie deal with no long term security.

I dont get fans who think that a guy is wrong to hold out when he overperforms his contract, when owners can cut him any time if he underperforms his contract.

Good post, El-Gonzo. Might I add one more thing about the players' side of things.

Yes, these are millionaires... and to us regular folk, it seems crazy that they are squabbling over millions of dollars... until one realizes that the owners are billionaires.

The difference between a regular guy and a millionaire is far, far closer than the distance between a millionaire and a billionaire.

It's not just a few zeros.

A billionaire is a millioniare times one thousand (literally and/or mathematically).

Let's just take the average NFL player, making $4 million per year... you would need 250 of those players to equal the worth of the owners. Crazy, huh???

Hawaii 5-0
02-27-2013, 11:48 PM
PAY BEN, CUT HARRISON

by Mark Madden
Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Tom Brady got a contract extension: Three years, $27m. Less than half his market value. The deal opens up $15m in cap space for New England.

Let the chorus commence: WHEN IS YOUR BUDDY BEN GONNA TAKE LESS MONEY?

I'm not sure Brady is taking "less money." Over the next five years, Brady's guaranteed figure leaps to $57m. His agreement includes a $30m signing bonus. Not bad for a 35-year-old QB who may or may not be past his prime. Tom and Gisele won't be waiting on line at the soup kitchen anytime soon.

Don't be surprised if "my buddy Ben" Roethlisberger inks an extension in the next few weeks, one that clears $7m in cap space for the Steelers.

When Roethlisberger does that, will he be hailed as a hero locally?

Probably not.

If the Steelers want cap relief, just cut the guys who can't play anymore. Casey Hampton. James Harrison. Ditching Harrison would save the Steelers $5.1m in cap space, AND IT WOULD BE THE RIGHT MOVE. Harrison's shot.

But, instead, the Steelers will let their deep threat walk. Let several experienced offensive linemen walk. Let the journeyman offensive coordinator dink and dunk. Ask the star QB to restructure his deal.

I'm surprised "my buddy Ben" doesn't put a gun in his mouth. Brady helps the Patriots knowing the organization will help him. What does Ben get in return?

http://www.1059thex.com/pages/markmadden.html?article=10976896#ixzz2MA7b1owz

SteelersCanada
02-27-2013, 11:57 PM
But, instead, the Steelers will let their deep threat walk. Let several experienced offensive linemen walk. Let the journeyman offensive coordinator dink and dunk. Ask the star QB to restructure his deal.

I'm surprised "my buddy Ben" doesn't put a gun in his mouth. Brady helps the Patriots knowing the organization will help him. What does Ben get in return?

http://www.1059thex.com/pages/markmadden.html?article=10976896#ixzz2MA7b1owz

Everything he says makes me upset that he's a Steelers fan. It's not about letting 'experienced linemen walk' it's about a youth movement on both sides of the football and not paying Willie Colon 5 million dollars. Beachum projects as a better LG in a ZBS anyway. And, deep threats are a dime a dozen. In fact, if we're just going on pure speed (as that is the only thing Wallace brings to the table at this point), there were a couple of WRs who ran faster 40s than Wallace this year. Coming out of the collegiate level, they won't have the same kind of arrogance and cockiness that Wallace had, either.

Do people actually listen to this guy and think "yeah, he knows what he's talking about."?

scottcurtis
02-28-2013, 08:33 AM
Hopefully the Steelers have finally realized Ben isn't worth the money they are paying him !

jacobo
02-28-2013, 08:37 AM
Hopefully the Steelers have finally realized Ben isn't worth the money they are paying him !

please go away

Hawaii 5-0
02-28-2013, 08:51 PM
THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 28, 2013

Your Steelers are now under the cap

With three strokes of the pen, the Steelers have gotten themselves under the NFL salary cap, which now appears as if is going to be $123.9 million, an increase of about $2.3 million from 2012.

After restructuring the contracts of Lawrence Timmons, at a savings of $5.3 million, Antonio Brown at $3 million and Ben Roethlisberger at $6 million, the Steelers pared $14.3 million from their cap, which should put them under as they needed to be by March 12.

That's significant because the team did not need to release any players to get to that number and still has enough wiggle room by restructuring, say, LaMarr Woodley's deal, to be somewhat active in free agency.

Next up, however, will be deciding upon tender offers to their own restricted free agents.

As I've stated before, there could be some surprises there. I wouldn't be shocked if linebacker Stevenson Sylvester and running back Jonathan Dwyer weren't tendered offers, which would make them unrestricted free agents March 12.

What the Steelers will not likely do with their newfound cap space is make a late run at their potential unrestricted free agents - unless it were a veteran such as Casey Hampton or Charlie Batch at a minimum deal.

They'll let guys such as Keenan Lewis, Mike Wallace and Ramon Foster test the open market to set the contract price and then see if they can match or better a deal that is offered - if it is offered.

@ The additional cap space could also allow the Steelers to make a pitch to free agent wideout Steve Breaston, who was in town Thursday to meet with the team.

@ The Steelers claimed quarterback John Parker Wilson off waivers from Jacksonville.

The 27-year-old Wilson, a former Alabama star, has not appeared in a regular season game in the NFL, but spent three seasons with Atlanta before joining the Jaguars last season.

He's not much more than a camp arm at this point.

http://burgh.us/knf

SteelersCanada
03-02-2013, 12:59 AM
Because I don't want to keep that other, more ridiculous Ben Roethlisberger thread going I thought I'd post this here ...

The Steelers’ Leadership Controversy Is Stupid

Dom Cosentino

The Steelers went 8-8 in 2012, missing the playoffs for just the seventh time in 21 seasons. Surely there must be some sort of explanation. So why not a really dumb debate over whether the team lacks veteran leadership?

To review: On Feb. 17, an anonymous player had this to say to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette about LaMarr Woodley, an outside linebacker whose injuries have made him far less productive the last two seasons. "He was awful," the player said. "He tells us he works out, but we didn't see it. He wasn't in shape. That has to be a reason why he was always hurt." The comment set off a chain reaction from several other Steelers. The common refrain was that the players didn't take too kindly to the snitching, especially because the snitch didn't put his name behind his words. Ryan Clark said it was indicative of a "fracture" in the locker room. Antonio Brown cited it as proof that the Steelers "[weren't] a team in 2012." But if family squabbles are supposed to stay in-house, how is the situation made any better when members of the family keep lining up to say family squabbles are supposed to stay in-house?

Hines Ward, who still can't seem to grasp that he got old and slow and that the cap-strapped Steelers no longer had any use for him, piled on a few days later: "That's a total disarray, a locker room in disarray," Ward said. Right. Because the Steelers never would have gone 8-8 if leaders like Ward and James Farrior and Aaron Smith were still there to do the leading. (Note: The 2006 Steelers, with Ward, Farrior, and Smith in their primes, were also a .500 team. Ward once chalked that season up to a "Super Bowl hangover," which strikes me as exactly the kind of crap strong veteran leadership ought to be equipped to overcome.)

Ben Roethlisberger finally weighed in today, rightly telling the Post-Gazette's Ed Bouchette that all this internecine squawking is indicative of nothing more than "the frustration" of a disappointing season. That didn't stop Florio from sniping that "the conflict is still there." But is it? The Steelers—like lots of other teams—were a handful of plays from making the playoffs again. It happens: In today's NFL, most everyone hovers around .500, with a good break here or there determining whether the season gets remembered or forgotten. But players, for whatever reason, don't believe in luck's great role. So each January or February another disappointing team adopts the language of First Take. Why bother?

http://deadspin.com/5987378/the-steelers-leadership-controversy-is-stupid

-- Yeah, pretty much. The Hines Ward dig isn't going to be popular, but I think it's a fair one.

harrison'samonster
03-02-2013, 01:04 AM
The Hines Ward dig isn't going to be popular, but I think it's a fair one.

Ward's just trying to break through into journalism. I don't hold anything against him, but I understand that ppl are going to criticize him

SteelersCanada
03-02-2013, 05:24 PM
Happy Birthday, Ben!

:birthday: