PDA

View Full Version : 3-4 Nose Tackle

STEELMANIAK
02-26-2013, 05:10 PM
I see alot of talk about OLB, FS, O-LINE, DE... but what about that big space eating nose tackle that is instrumental in a 3-4 defense? Hampton is all but gone, McLendon is unproven in my eyes and does not fit the prototype size needed for that position.

Is the FO confident enough in T'aamu? It seems the organization is taking a big risk with him not only with the off the field issues but also on the field. I haven't seen enough of him to make my own assessment.

If none of that pans out, I think we will have no option but to go DT 1st round. :helmet:

Buddha Bus
02-26-2013, 05:15 PM
I'd have to think the team is somewhat high on Ta'amu since they didn't cut ties with him after his rampage.

I also think you're underestimating McLendon. He's looked damn good in the time he's been given to play. I'd like to see more of him and I think he can improve and build on what he's already shown. The coaches were raving about him last year in camp.

I think we need to cut Snack loose and move forward with the younger guys. I believe we'll be fine at NT.

harrison'samonster
02-26-2013, 05:15 PM
I don't think it's out of the question but I think the Steelers are confident in McLendon and Ta'amu. You're right though, it is a crucial spot in the 3-4 it would be nice to see some dominant play at the position.

fer522
02-26-2013, 05:35 PM
Don't forget about woodley if he doesn't lose any weight he could end up playing NT:noidea:

FrancoLambert
02-26-2013, 05:35 PM
They should just play McClendon full time and let him show what he's got.

He doesn't get enough snaps but I seem to remember him playing with a strong motor and making his presence felt when he got the chance.

Physically, he was starting to look like a beast.

Stand him next to Casey, who do you want for next year?

Back to point, I wouldn't make NT a draft priority.

TheVet
02-26-2013, 05:41 PM
I agree with the others - with McLendon and Ta'amu, this is one of the least worrisome positions on the team. McLendon can be a legitimate starter, and Ta'amu should be a capable backup. Compare this to LB (do we even have a backup?) and OL (forget backups, will we even have 5 true starters?).

STEELMANIAK
02-26-2013, 06:18 PM
Don't forget about woodley if he doesn't lose any weight he could end up playing NT:noidea:

I was waiting for that one! :applaudit:

pittpete
02-26-2013, 07:19 PM
You forget this guy?
Hebron Fangupo (http://www.profootballweekly.com/prospects/player/hebron-fangupo-91/)

PhantomJB93
02-26-2013, 07:24 PM
Mclendon has done enough to earn a season as a starter, if he REALLY fails to produce, draft one next year.

SteelersCanada
02-26-2013, 07:41 PM
McLendon, Ta'amu and Fangupo - in that order.

We're fine at NT. Don't let 'experts' sway your opinion as they usually have less than no idea what they're talking about.

Steeldude
02-26-2013, 08:56 PM
I see alot of talk about OLB, FS, O-LINE, DE... but what about that big space eating nose tackle that is instrumental in a 3-4 defense? Hampton is all but gone, McLendon is unproven in my eyes and does not fit the prototype size needed for that position.

Is the FO confident enough in T'aamu? It seems the organization is taking a big risk with him not only with the off the field issues but also on the field. I haven't seen enough of him to make my own assessment.

If none of that pans out, I think we will have no option but to go DT 1st round. :helmet:

A draft pick would be unproven too. Mclendon has shown to play well when given the chance. NT is not a priority. They have 3 NTs on the roster.

Justp94
02-27-2013, 12:27 AM
We can't afford to waste our 1st round pick on a Defensive Lineman... That's clear.