PDA

View Full Version : Okay I know we don't do FA that often but how about

GMU Steeler
02-28-2013, 03:33 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/12555/ramses-barden
Ramses Barden. Was talking with a Cowboys fan friend of mine about FA and all that stuff. And we both were intrigued by the idea of our teams signing this guy. I don't think he would cost much and I think would be one of those low risk-high reward type things. I'm real impressed with his height and he's an intelligent guy too so I think he could learn Haley's system. Anyhow just food for thought. I know we've been wanting a big target for Ben and Barden is huge.

SteelersCanada
02-28-2013, 03:40 PM
Good size and if he's intelligent, it'd be a good pick up.

steelfury02
02-28-2013, 03:41 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/12555/ramses-barden
Ramses Barden. Was talking with a Cowboys fan friend of mine about FA and all that stuff. And we both were intrigued by the idea of our teams signing this guy. I don't think he would cost much and I think would be one of those low risk-high reward type things. I'm real impressed with his height and he's an intelligent guy too so I think he could learn Haley's system. Anyhow just food for thought. I know we've been wanting a big target for Ben and Barden is huge.

hmm, - do we know about his breakaway speed or fighting in traffic?

GMU Steeler
02-28-2013, 03:42 PM
Good size and if he's intelligent, it'd be a good pick up.

Yeah he would be and as I said, I doubt he'd cost much. I'd give his agent a call. I know nothing about him aside from his size and that he's an intelligent guy but I remember seeing his size and academic background when he was drafted and being intrigued.

GMU Steeler
02-28-2013, 03:43 PM
hmm, - do we know about his breakaway speed or fighting in traffic?

I'm not sure. As I said, just food for thought. I think Cotchery is our tallest receiver. I think having a big target would help improve our Red Zone O.

Bane
02-28-2013, 03:44 PM
I was pissed when the Giants picked up Ramses years ago. I think he'd be a great experiment for the Steelers, and Ben would probably target him just to make up for all the years of throwing to little guys.

For his 40, he clocked in at 4.61, so he's not amazingly fast, but given the right tools around him and a quarterback like Ben, I say he'll be decent in this system, at worst.

I say try it. He's not a big name and he won't be expensive, so he's worth a shot.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
02-28-2013, 03:45 PM
I'm not sure. As I said, just food for thought. I think Cotchery is our tallest receiver. I think having a big target would help improve our Red Zone O.

Yes with Heath being injured he have no red zone target.

I'd be excited if Justin hunter lasted to us in the second.

GMU Steeler
02-28-2013, 03:53 PM
Yes with Heath being injured he have no red zone target.

I'd be excited if Justin hunter lasted to us in the second.

Yep, and then when Heath gets back. Teams have to worry about both of them. In recent memory, I think one of our problems on offense has been getting FGs instead of TDs. That's a difference of three points alone not including the PAT. I don't expect us to be a team that kills opponents but I think it would do us some good especially with an older defense to build up comfortable leads late.

GMU Steeler
02-28-2013, 03:56 PM
I was pissed when the Giants picked up Ramses years ago. I think he'd be a great experiment for the Steelers, and Ben would probably target him just to make up for all the years of throwing to little guys.

For his 40, he clocked in at 4.61, so he's not amazingly fast, but given the right tools around him and a quarterback like Ben, I say he'll be decent in this system, at worst.

I say try it. He's not a big name and he won't be expensive, so he's worth a shot.

Yeah I am not surprised he's not speedy but I think Brown-Sanders- a possible draftee could make up for that. I just think a big target is needed and I agree. I Saw his size in that draft and I wanted him. We ended getting Wallace that same draft so it wasn't too upsetting but I really do think and I think most Steelers fans agree that we need a big target for Ben. Haven't really had a true big guy as a huge part of our offense since Plax during BEn's rookie yaer. There was Sweed but we all know how he worked out unfortunately.

pete74
02-28-2013, 03:56 PM
I would mind cutting Miller and signing Finley after Green Bay cuts him. He's younger and not coming off a major knee injury.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
02-28-2013, 03:59 PM
I would mind cutting Miller and signing Finley after Green Bay cuts him. He's younger and not coming off a major knee injury.

How much money is he due?

Heard he doesn't want a pay cut.

SteelersCanada
02-28-2013, 04:11 PM

You're gonna get crucified. Just a heads up. But, I agree with you.

austinfrench76
02-28-2013, 04:18 PM
I would personally rather have Breaston. I get the size thing but this guy has had a chance and didn't do much with it and Breaston has proven something. He is also a return guy. Maybe that saves Brown some wear and tear now that Rainey is in the clink. .

GMU Steeler
02-28-2013, 04:27 PM
I would personally rather have Breaston. I get the size thing but this guy has had a chance and didn't do much with it and Breaston has proven something. He is also a return guy. Maybe that saves Brown some wear and tear now that Rainey is in the clink. .

I'm okay with that as well. Perhaps pick up Breaston in FA and draft a tall guy in the draft? Breaston does have the added bonus of having played for Haley not once but twice and I think he had good things to say. Breaston is actually someone I'd be shocked if we didn't pursue.

pete74
03-02-2013, 02:39 PM
You're gonna get crucified. Just a heads up. But, I agree with you.

No way. Miller is awesome but he is coming off a major knee injury and is getting up there in age. Finley is more talanted but hasnt played up to the likes of Grahm and Gronk like he is capable of. In Green Bay there is no #1 Wr and the ball gets spread out to all there talanted WR's.
Finley is making close to what Miller is but if Green Bay cuts him I gurentee we can pick him up cheaper. Miller is my favorite Steeler but still I would do the switch.
With that said, it will never happen.

Lokki
03-03-2013, 07:47 AM

http://bios.weddingbee.com/pics/111986/blasphemer128601086275112902.jpg

Steelers5895
03-03-2013, 07:16 PM
Not an upgrade. I rather have Breaston who knows the offense.

Buress is a better option

bornaSteelersfan
03-04-2013, 07:00 AM
Breaston already came to work out for The Steelers, but he left without a contract. Now he is looking into having some work done on his knee. I don't think Breaston is our guy.

LVSteelersfan
03-04-2013, 01:57 PM
Miller is going nowhere. He was arguably the best player we had on offense last year. He does not rely on speed and cutting to get his catches so the knee injury is not as bad with him as it would be with a RB or WR.

cowherpower
03-05-2013, 10:08 AM
wouldn't mind going after Jared Cook. Seems built like the 'next generation' of TE. Big, super fast, athletic...but very underutilized by TEN. Heath is getting up there in age, and may take awhile to get back to 100%. Why not groom is replacement and give Ben a real weapon over the middle in the meantime?

jacobo
03-05-2013, 11:16 AM
wouldn't mind going after Jared Cook. Seems built like the 'next generation' of TE. Big, super fast, athletic...but very underutilized by TEN. Heath is getting up there in age, and may take awhile to get back to 100%. Why not groom is replacement and give Ben a real weapon over the middle in the meantime?

isn't he going to be too expensive? ten contemplated giving him the tag, so isn't that a decent indicator that his value is too much for this team to take on? love to have him, he has elite te level talent.

VaDave
03-05-2013, 11:23 AM
No way. Miller is awesome but he is coming off a major knee injury and is getting up there in age. Finley is more talanted but hasnt played up to the likes of Grahm and Gronk like he is capable of. In Green Bay there is no #1 Wr and the ball gets spread out to all there talanted WR's.
Finley is making close to what Miller is but if Green Bay cuts him I gurentee we can pick him up cheaper. Miller is my favorite Steeler but still I would do the switch.
With that said, it will never happen.

One problem: Can you picture 65,000 fans screaming MICHAEL everytime he catches a pass? Sorry, that will not do.

Pretty forward thinking though about Heath's age and health, and cutting him after the best year he's had. I have to sat that never crossed my mind.

cowherpower
03-05-2013, 02:15 PM
isn't he going to be too expensive? ten contemplated giving him the tag, so isn't that a decent indicator that his value is too much for this team to take on? love to have him, he has elite te level talent.

yeah, I agree...too expensive, and we don't ever sign expensive FA, but it doesn't hurt to dream. As much as I love Heath, he isn't the threat Cook is and Ben seems better at intermediate throws to TE. But if not Cook, and signs pointing to no Lewis (thank you), what is the point of freeing up cap space? I wonder who they have their eye on.

TheVet
03-05-2013, 11:06 PM
A prudent man does not go about collecting jewelry before he secures a job and a mortgage.

People, let's focus on the problem. We've got a nimble, escape-artist franchise QB establishing all-time records for laying on his back. More pretty targets aren't the answer.