PDA

View Full Version : back up D

19ward86
08-19-2006, 10:21 PM
i dont think the backups are competing cause they are playing like they already made it. it disapoints me that every third down ends up being a first down after the next play. porter was all over the place but harrison isnt like that. our back ups seem like they arent playing like a team, and there have only been 2 sacks in the game....that is horribly sad.

ajs8207
08-20-2006, 12:47 AM
We won't show our blitzes in the preseason. Why give teams a hint for the regular season? That's why we only have 2 sacks.

Steelersfan4life
08-20-2006, 12:59 PM
i think the other teams probably have enough film of our blitzes that we wont have to worry about giving them "hints".

BlackNGold203
08-20-2006, 01:23 PM
We won't show our blitzes in the preseason. Why give teams a hint for the regular season? That's why we only have 2 sacks.

BINGO!!!!

THANK YOU!!

People need to realize...you are not seeing our "defense"

You are seeing basic formations only.....

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-20-2006, 01:30 PM
BINGO!!!!

THANK YOU!!

...and dont forget preseason philosophy..When you have a team that is pretty much "set" at the majority of the positions...some coaches could care less about wins then they care about trying out some of the backups to see how they have pickuped the system or play at game speed. Other coaches want the wins to build confidence, so they tend to keep their starters in longer.
..teams that suck are up for grabs...new players in/out..starters in/out...they are just looking for cohesion.

19ward86
08-20-2006, 07:41 PM
i have to disagree, everyone knows that we play the 3-4 zone blitz every game. we are
0-2 (like it matters) in the playoffs because of the D. it might just be the preseason but i still want pitt to win.

BlackNGold203
08-20-2006, 07:49 PM
i have to disagree, everyone knows that we play the 3-4 zone blitz every game. we are
0-2 (like it matters) in the playoffs because of the D. it might just be the preseason but i still want pitt to win.

I think we all would like to win...but that defense you've seen the 1st two games is only about 33% of the total package....teams dont tip their hands in August...they just dont

:cool: :cool:

Cape Cod Steel Head
08-20-2006, 08:51 PM
The first team had better practice on wrapping up and finishing tackles.

SteelCzar76
08-20-2006, 09:09 PM
BINGO!!!!

THANK YOU!!

Exactly,.....we're showing opponents a very "vanilla" package. We're a "pressure" Defense that forces opposing teams into mistakes. The thing is,...this pressure is gained by scheme and not just personel. Bottom line,... when coach Lebeau is not going after opposing Qb's,.......they have time to pass and our corners will give up big plays. Gone are the Day's of Rod Woodson, Deion Figures (even a young Willie Williams). The new cat's are solid,.....but with the exception of Troy and POSSIBLY B-Mac and Anthony Smith,.....our secondary is STILL our achilles heal.

"Hail Caesar,....Hail the Black and Gold"

Midnightwriter07
08-21-2006, 01:32 AM
EXACTLY... i dont think people give enough credit to Lebeau and his schemes. People tend to think it is the players themselves that are great. It is the NFL and everyone is athletic and has talent obviously, but i think our secondary shows that when we arent Blitzing or are not able to get pressure on the QB even when we do Blitz... well we just arent that good. And in saying that, it is exactly why we dont overpay for defensive players who cant cover someone unless the Blitz packages are working on all cylinders. We cant overpay for LB's who cant get to the QB as well as DL who cant hold up two players so the linebackers can get free.

nicesteel4life
08-21-2006, 08:59 AM
Calm Down Steeler Nation.....Remember we are EVALUATING future starters.
Wins and Losses mean nothing. We have recieved NO INJURYS, thats a Win!!
Why would we want to show anything more than 25% of our defensive plays, to win a meaningless game. The D will always get beat without us running our Scheme. We will be FINE. Remember we are THE WORLD CHAMPIONS still.......and we got there with "D"

Stlrs4Life
08-21-2006, 09:08 AM
I also believe we are not seeing the real D. But also think the 1st team still needs some work, especially on 3rd down.

83-Steelers-43
08-21-2006, 10:30 AM
To keep it short. Our first team D is not looking great either. Our 3rd down showings are cause for some concern, but I'm not ready to push the red button.

Bottomline in my book; once September 7th comes around the vanilla defensive schemes will be out the window and the gloves will come off. LeBeau is not going to tip his hand during the preseason.

Patience young grasshopper.

HometownGal
08-21-2006, 10:32 AM
I also believe we are not seeing the real D. But also think the 1st team still needs some work, especially on 3rd down.

Most definitely. I have no doubt, though, that LeBeau will have the first team ready to rumble in the opener. Pre-season is mainly to evaluate the roster, keep the gold and silver on the final roster, transfer the bronze to the practice squad and discard the pewter. Cowher and his coaches know what they want in their players - we have to trust their judgment here. They haven't let us down in the past.

I'm sure the coordinators are cooking up a whole host of new surprises and schemes to throw at our opponents this season which aren't recorded on any NFL films and most definitely will not be revealed in the pre-season. We have two of the best coords in the business. :bouncy:

Don't sweat the pre-season folks - have faith in Cowher and his coaches to do what they need to do to put the best team possible on the field this season. :cool:

SteelerFanInCA
08-21-2006, 10:35 AM
Calm Down Steeler Nation.....Remember we are EVALUATING future starters.
Wins and Losses mean nothing. We have recieved NO INJURYS, thats a Win!!
Why would we want to show anything more than 25% of our defensive plays, to win a meaningless game. The D will always get beat without us running our Scheme. We will be FINE. Remember we are THE WORLD CHAMPIONS still.......and we got there with "D"
You've got that right. If we can survive the preseason without injuries that will be a victory within itself.