PDA

View Full Version : William Gay was okay

steelersfan299
03-01-2013, 09:35 PM
Should the Steelers bring back William Gay after his release from the Cardinals today?

Riddle_Of_Steel
03-01-2013, 09:43 PM
If they can get him at a bargain, would help to have some depth. Doubtful we see a scenario again where all 4 CBs are in the tub, but we know he can play in DL's system.

I say wait and see what other teams are interested.

Steel_Bus_24
03-01-2013, 09:51 PM
Pay has to be right....

Gay finally got the mental side of it down but

Allen is a cut above him athletically....and has passed gay by a good margin

Really I don't see us signing him unless we lose somebody

jacobo
03-01-2013, 10:00 PM
He'd be nice to pad our depth at corner, and Lake would let him overachieve. Agree he wasn't as bad as I thought when he was here.

teegre
03-01-2013, 10:24 PM
In a word: YES.

If he plays for cheap, he'd be a rock-solid 4th CB. That would be a strong, strong secondary: Ike, Keenan, Cortez, and Will I am GAY.

Sorry Curtis Brown. I thought that you would be competing with Allen for the starting job, but you simply do not look like more than a practice squad CB. (Might he switch to FS? I'm pretty sure that he played sometimes in the FS spot, while at Texas.)

casteeler
03-01-2013, 10:37 PM
Gay was NOT ok. Does anyone remember the 'Fire William Gay' thread? I would rather live with the half way decent CBs the Steelers have now

SteelersCanada
03-01-2013, 10:48 PM
William Gay pretty much single-handedly lost us our bye two years ago. If he manages to hold Torrey Smith from getting the touchdown against the Ravens, we're 13-3 and we don't ever have to walk into Denver. Yeah, I'm still a little bitter about it. Why do you ask?

austinfrench76
03-01-2013, 11:02 PM
...at times(that's what the title of the thread should have been) but other than that I agree that he would be a good 4th corner. Bring him back on the cheap and knows DL's system! IMO an upgrade over Brown right now. Brown may get better ala Lewis but I think Gay would be better in 2013.

teegre
03-02-2013, 12:15 AM
William Gay pretty much single-handedly lost us our bye two years ago. If he manages to hold Torrey Smith from getting the touchdown against the Ravens, we're 13-3 and we don't ever have to walk into Denver. Yeah, I'm still a little bitter about it. Why do you ask?

I disagree. Ryan Clark had the over coverage; Will I am GAY had the under coverage. Clark was slow to react... TD... ugh.

Still, he is NOT a starter, but he'd be one heck of a 4th CB.

Hawaii 5-0
03-02-2013, 12:29 AM
no thanks to Willie "No Play" Gay...

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/06OB7Nd2H2a10/610x.jpg

steeltheone
03-02-2013, 12:45 AM
I disagree. Ryan Clark had the over coverage; Will I am GAY had the under coverage. Clark was slow to react... TD... ugh.

Still, he is NOT a starter, but he'd be one heck of a 4th CB.

Exactly right!

tony hipchest
03-02-2013, 02:13 AM
for what its worth AP trucks over EVERY CB in 1-on-1 open field.

thats just how it is.

AP alswo rips up his knee and returns in 4 weeks to destroy 20 year old rushing records.

gay sux because of that.

Steeldude
03-02-2013, 07:33 AM
no thanks to Willie "No Play" Gay...

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/06OB7Nd2H2a10/610x.jpg

Is that Foote?

Buddha Bus
03-02-2013, 07:34 AM
Is that Foote?

Is that you Rex Ryan?

Fire Haley
03-02-2013, 07:37 AM
hilarious

everybody that now wants him back were probably first in line to want to kick him out of town

ha ha

teegre
03-02-2013, 10:18 AM
hilarious

everybody that now wants him back were probably first in line to want to kick him out of town

ha ha

Back as a starter: NO!!!

Back as a 4th CB*: Heck yeah!!!

*(for the vet minimum)

teegre
03-02-2013, 10:20 AM

thats just how it is.

AP alswo rips up his knee and returns in 4 weeks to destroy 20 year old rushing records.

gay sux because of that.

Barry Sanders blew out Rod Woodson's knee.

Fire Woodson!!!... oh... wait... they did.

Fire Arians
03-02-2013, 11:45 AM
do not want.

steeltheone
03-02-2013, 11:56 AM
hilarious

ha ha Gay was a whipping boy for most steeler fans...Just as Keenan Lewis would have been if he could have made it on the field his 2nd and 3rd year.

FrancoLambert
03-02-2013, 12:23 PM
We're all forgetting something very important. :confused:

It would mean the return of the very popular GAY METER. :thmbup:

Steelers5895
03-02-2013, 12:29 PM
he is ok compared to my cover abilities.

Steelers5895
03-02-2013, 12:31 PM

how do you feel about Mendy? thought i read you want him back. want his fumble a killer for us vs green bay? we took control of the game until that play

mikegrimey
03-02-2013, 12:32 PM

Time to get over it friend.

Just a few plays earlier that drive our very best CB, Ike Taylor, got the pants torched off him by smith, who just dropped the easy td pass. Also, gay was clearly fouled on the play, it happens, he's not Darrel Revis, he's not going to shut out or blank a speedster 1 on 1 everytime.

Justp94
03-02-2013, 01:00 PM
Should the Steelers bring back William Gay after his release from the Cardinals today?

No, okay isn't good enough... He gave up so many touchdowns because he sucked at man coverage... I remember he gave up 3 touchdowns to the patriots in one damn game! He's trash to us now.

ETL
03-02-2013, 01:38 PM
We're all forgetting something very important. :confused:

It would mean the return of the very popular GAY METER. :thmbup:

Did someone say GAY METER?

MasterOfPuppets
03-02-2013, 01:44 PM
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4115/4769903020_0dd62130d9_z.jpg

FrancoLambert
03-02-2013, 01:45 PM
Did someone say GAY METER?

I confess. It was me. :redface:

But I knew just the mention of it would awaken its creator from hibernation. :nw:

STEELMANIAK
03-02-2013, 01:59 PM
Gay is garbage. He is undersized, slow, and has proven unreliable. With so much defensive depth in this draft I'd like to think the Steelers are not so desperate to sign him back.

Our division has some of the biggest, fastest receivers and tight ends and Gay simply isn't physical enough to match up with them.

PhantomJB93
03-02-2013, 04:12 PM
I'd take Gay back if Keenan Lewis isn't resigned. He finally "got it" his last year here.

harrison'samonster
03-02-2013, 04:35 PM
I'd take Gay back if Keenan Lewis isn't resigned. He finally "got it" his last year here.

completely agree. As long as the price is right, Gay would be a perfect addition if we lose Lewis.

zcoop
03-02-2013, 04:41 PM
how do you feel about Mendy? thought i read you want him back. want his fumble a killer for us vs green bay? we took control of the game until that play

That fumble wasn't his fault. As soon as he got the ball he got popped.

Hawaii 5-0
03-02-2013, 05:07 PM

thats just how it is.

gay sux because of that.

no, gay doesn't only suck because of being trucked by AP.

it's more because gay just sux period...

steeltheone
03-02-2013, 05:09 PM
We must remember there is a reason The Cardinals cut him, sorta like when they shipped McFadden back to us. That turned out really well.

mikegrimey
03-02-2013, 07:41 PM

But I knew just the mention of it would awaken its creator from hibernation. :nw:

The gay meter was my favorite recurring thread here during the 2011 season. Gay is OK

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-03-2013, 07:00 AM
That fumble wasn't his fault. As soon as he got the ball he got popped.
Yeah, David Johnson never even touched the defensive player on that play and that is who knocked the ball loose. I cant believe that any Steeler fan who has seen that play doesnt understand how it happened. :doh:

no, gay doesn't only suck because of being trucked by AP.

it's more because gay just sux period...

I used to say that William Gay was a young version of DeShea Townsend when he was drafted....but he hasnt even lived up to that expectation IMO.

steelfury02
03-03-2013, 07:13 AM
Peterson would do that to any ILB, 2ndary in open space if you're just going to square up on him and let him come to you - if you're not attacking him, you're not just going to wait for it an hope to wrap up.

Gay at minimum as last resort - that wouldn't be too ridiculous
All that said, we're in the midst of moving on - so, eh

BengalDestroyer
03-03-2013, 01:52 PM
i'd take him back in a heart beat

pittpete
03-03-2013, 01:56 PM
Bringing back Gay would only stunt the growth of any of our younger DB's.
While I think Gay is a better option than Curtis Brown, I'd rather the younger guys get playing time in our D

PhantomJB93
03-03-2013, 04:55 PM
@williamgay22: "I'm glad I didn't sell my condo in Pittsburgh...."

WokeUpWithaWoodley
03-03-2013, 05:14 PM

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/03/has-cb-william-gay-signed-back-with-the-steelers/

SteelersCanada
03-03-2013, 05:19 PM
If he is back, he'd better sit behind Van Dyke. I still have high hopes for DeMarcus and I think he can play if given the chance. Dude just needs to stop holding and IBITB'ing on punts / kickoffs.

Hawaii 5-0
03-03-2013, 05:34 PM
Bringing back Gay would only stunt the growth of any of our younger DB's.
While I think Gay is a better option than Curtis Brown, I'd rather the younger guys get playing time in our D

unless we're planning on letting Keenan Lewis sign with another team and then inserting Cortez Allen into the starting lineup and Curtis Brown, Willie Gay, DeMarcus Van Dyke and Josh Victorian fight it out for the remaining CB jobs...

lloydwoodson
03-03-2013, 05:58 PM
William Gay played way better in his final season than he did in any other season. Gay did develop into a decent cornerback for the Steelers system. I think if he could be signed for the minimum it would be a very good idea.

Gay would be better than most 4th CBs in the league.

Fire Haley
03-03-2013, 07:18 PM
ho ho ho

here we go!

SteelerEmpire
03-03-2013, 07:46 PM
Via Woodley, Mundy, and a few other Steelers twitter feeds, that Gay dude is now a Steeler again.

kan_t
03-03-2013, 07:47 PM
Special team player and emergency CB.

They better sign Lewis.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
03-03-2013, 09:54 PM
This is probably just a signing just in case we cant sign Lewis back and to add more depth at corner

Taylor, Lewis, Allen, Gay, Brown and DVD, Seems like a good DB squad to me.

harrison'samonster
03-03-2013, 10:05 PM
This is probably just a signing just in case we cant sign Lewis back and to add more depth at corner

Taylor, Lewis, Allen, Gay, Brown and DVD, Seems like a good DB squad to me.

agreed.

cowherpower
03-03-2013, 10:11 PM
It's a sad state of affairs when we are forced to sign castoffs of the Cardinals that were first castoff from us. If we have ever had a worse corner I can't remember. He should be special teams player only. If he has to see the field on our defense we are in even worse shape than I thought. How bad has our drafting been under Tomlin if in all these years they have failed to develop and adequate number 2 alongside Ike? Lewis? Please, he is at best a nickel corner. Cortez...I see some promise, way more than Lewis,and he is younger. Let Lewis walk, let Brown be the nickel...draft a corner in round 1 or 2. I swear my blood is boiling with this signing.

lloydwoodson
03-04-2013, 12:51 AM
Tomlin is gay for Gay. I don't know why but Tomlin just loves Willie Gay. I am not surprised at all by the signing.

This is a good addition to the squad at a position of need. Gay will be cheap and easy to fit into the defensive schemes.

Everyone who is griping that the Steelers got bent over by Gay's agent are nothing but dicks.

Gay may have gone to Arizona for a short while but the Steelers got it right in the end.

sloppyjoe
03-04-2013, 08:22 AM

oh oh. now the 'fans' that bashed gay will now have to say what a great signing it was..........

FrancoLambert
03-04-2013, 04:54 PM
Can't believe "DVD" is being considered an asset at the CB position and listed by some on their CB depth chart.

Based on what? He sucked last year when he got the chance to play.

Sure he has speed, but no ball awareness at all.

Hawaii 5-0
03-04-2013, 05:04 PM
Can't believe "DVD" is being considered an asset at the CB position and listed by some on their CB depth chart.

I agree that he hasn't shown anything to this point, but DVD is only 24 years old and does have tremendous speed.

he'll get his chance in training camp to compete and show that he has improved, if he doesn't perform well he'll be cut.

VaDave
03-05-2013, 07:33 AM
I kind of have the feeling DVD issues might be above the shoulders......... It just might be that getting from point A to point B as fast as humanly possible is not the most important quality in a football player...... Well, it doesn't hurt, but it doesn't guarantee success.

Seriously, maybe the kid can learn something useful to do with that speed, other than being a penalty machine. Lets see what he comes up with being with the squad for an entire year. Keep in mind he's now satisfied the Dick LeBeau one year waiting period before playing players provision.

FrancoLambert
03-05-2013, 04:33 PM
I'm simply giddy :banana: over the prospect of the GAY METER returning.

Buddha Bus
03-05-2013, 04:38 PM
I'm simply giddy :banana: over the prospect of the GAY METER returning.

He's gay for the Gay Meter! :sissies: :naughty:

:chuckle:

SteelersCanada
03-05-2013, 04:49 PM

He has trouble with his hips, I'll give ya that. But, he has ridiculous speed. He's no worse than Keenan Lewis was stepping into our system and look what Carnell Lake made of him.

If he's worked on his hips and his ball awareness, he has the potential to be a shutdown CB. I was high on this kid coming out of college and I wanted the Steelers to take him in the third. He's head and shoulders above both Brown and Gay and he hasn't even scratched the surface of his potential yet.

I don't know that he did get a chance to play other than ST last year and I'm going to reserve judgment on our CBs when I see them play in the secondary, not on their ST skills.

mikegrimey
03-05-2013, 07:33 PM
He has trouble with his hips, I'll give ya that. But, he has ridiculous speed. He's no worse than Keenan Lewis was stepping into our system and look what Carnell Lake made of him.

If he's worked on his hips and his ball awareness, he has the potential to be a shutdown CB. I was high on this kid coming out of college and I wanted the Steelers to take him in the third. He's head and shoulders above both Brown and Gay and he hasn't even scratched the surface of his potential yet.

I don't know that he did get a chance to play other than ST last year and I'm going to reserve judgment on our CBs when I see them play in the secondary, not on their ST skills.

He was in our secondary getting abused at the end of last year.. I'm not saying he's a lost cause, but he hasn't done anything at all to be qualified as a strength or asset at the position.

SteelersCanada
03-05-2013, 07:43 PM
He was in our secondary getting abused at the end of last year.. I'm not saying he's a lost cause, but he hasn't done anything at all to be qualified as a strength or asset at the position.

I don't think we're talking about the same guy. Van Dyke went out last year with an injury when he was playing on ST against the Cowboys. I legitimately don't think he got any snaps last year in our secondary. Mike took his helmet away after holding and IBITB penalties on kickoffs and punts so he wasn't active for a stretch of games there in the middle.

Maybe you're thinking of Josh Victorian? When he filled in for our injured secondary he was abused and abused pretty badly. Or, Van Dyke did play and I'm just sounding like a dick right now. I don't mean to come off that way, I just don't remember DVD getting any snaps on defense last year.

ETL
03-05-2013, 08:03 PM

Nice.

I've been lurking. Reading most of the posts. Just have nothing to add at this time with the team in limbo. Will be more vocal just before draft.

zcoop
03-05-2013, 08:25 PM
Nice.

I've been lurking. Reading most of the posts. Just have nothing to add at this time with the team in limbo. Will be more vocal just before draft.

Come out of hibernation playa!

Buddha Bus
03-06-2013, 06:26 AM
Come out of hibernation playa!

ETL came out a couple of weeks ago, saw his shadow, and darted back inside. I blame him for it snowing at my house right now.

wwhickok
03-06-2013, 06:32 AM
William Gay was okay....is being very generous. Gay is garbage and bringing him back, imo, makes Pittsburgh look desperate. It sort of sends the impression that no one else wants to play in Pittsburgh or that they don't think this draft has a guy that can beat Curtis Brown out for the #3 spot. Frankly I dont think Gay can either. He'll be cut next offseason.

Buddha Bus
03-06-2013, 06:38 AM
William Gay was okay....is being very generous. Gay is garbage and bringing him back, imo, makes Pittsburgh look desperate. It sort of sends the impression that no one else wants to play in Pittsburgh or that they don't think this draft has a guy that can beat Curtis Brown out for the #3 spot. Frankly I dont think Gay can either. He'll be cut next offseason.

As has been stated, I don't think he's being brought back to be a starter. He's very good as a nickel corner and helps add depth, He's better than the other options we have right now and Ike isn't getting any younger.

Best case they retain Lewis. Lewis and Ike as starters, Allen as the nickel, Gay as the dime and the rest you can dispose of. Might want to keep Brown and hope he polishes up, but if you have those options, we're sitting pretty in the secondary. We have injury depth and a stopgap if Ike retires or is cut in the future.

wwhickok
03-06-2013, 06:48 AM
Gay isnt a very good anything. Do you remember him gettinf steamrolled by AP. The photo is even in this thread.

Buddha Bus
03-06-2013, 06:53 AM
Gay isnt a very good anything. Do you remember him gettinf steamrolled by AP. The photo is even in this thread.

So one play makes him terrible? You can probably find photos of all kinds of players getting steamrolled by other players. That doesn't make them bad.

I was as tough on Gay as the next guy for a few years, but his last year here under Lake, he was very good... better than what we have now so it's an improvement IMHO.

He admittedly has had some bad plays happen to him and at high profile moments, but overall he's a solid to above-average nickel that can help us. We aren't going to be able to field everyone we draft this year. We need some help to fill some holes from somewhere and Willie just filled one (no pun intended).

wwhickok
03-06-2013, 06:56 AM
No, one play foeant make him terrible. A consistent career of bad plays does though. His good plays are very few and far between.

mikegrimey
03-06-2013, 04:54 PM
I don't think we're talking about the same guy. Van Dyke went out last year with an injury when he was playing on ST against the Cowboys. I legitimately don't think he got any snaps last year in our secondary. Mike took his helmet away after holding and IBITB penalties on kickoffs and punts so he wasn't active for a stretch of games there in the middle.

Maybe you're thinking of Josh Victorian? When he filled in for our injured secondary he was abused and abused pretty badly. Or, Van Dyke did play and I'm just sounding like a dick right now. I don't mean to come off that way, I just don't remember DVD getting any snaps on defense last year.

My mistake, Victorian was the player getting fed on in our secondary, I take back my remarks about Van Dyke, did confuse the two

pete74
03-06-2013, 04:57 PM
No, one play foeant make him terrible. A consistent career of bad plays does though. His good plays are very few and far between.

As an outside corner I agree that Gay is below average but I really like him as a nickel or dime corner if Brown beats him out

kan_t
03-06-2013, 08:08 PM
He got exposed when he's the No.2. But he is an average nickelback who knows the system. He's also a good special team player.

lloydwoodson
03-06-2013, 08:11 PM
He got exposed when he's the No.2. But he was an average nickelback who knows the system.

This is it. This is the last comment that needs to be said on Gay. It's done. This sums it up. Everyone is saying this over and over again.

I for one am pro-Gay.

Steelers' 4th CB question has been answered.

On to actual issues.

mikegrimey
03-07-2013, 11:46 AM
Im pro gay as well. He was actually good in 2011 for us. His main weakness is he isn't fast enough to keep up with the speedsters on the opposition, but people crying about how he got torched by Torrey Smith for a crucial TD need to realize that a few plays earlier in that game our fastest and best CB, Ike Taylor, got torched by Smith too...it happens... Ike was also the player who got burnt by Stevie Johnson in Buffalo in 2010... the only thing stopping him from being a scapegoat on our bye week in 2010 and 2011 is a WR dropping an easy TD. Gay is pretty cool actually.

rgj
03-11-2013, 07:12 AM
Sorry. Got my fill of William P. Gay two and three years ago. Not interested.