PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Keenan Lewis hints at 'a secret'

Hawaii 5-0
03-02-2013, 01:25 AM
Steelers Keenan Lewis hints at 'a secret'

By SteelCityRoller on Mar 1 2013

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/8900821/156291420.0_standard_500.0.jpg

Lewis did not announce some really big news on Thursday. Lewis did not give Steelers fans reason to believe he may be close to signing a new contract. Lewis did say whatever it wasn't, it was big.

It is no secret the Pittsburgh Steelers will attempt to compete for the services of Keenan Lewis in 2013, after having a great first season as a full-time starter in 2012. Lewis is an unrestricted free-agent this off-season.

More: Steelers Free Agency stream Steelers sign QB Sherman speaks on Lewis
While cap compliance is within reach, few felt confident the team would be able to seriously compete to re-sign Lewis. On Thursday through his Facebook account, he technically didn't give Steelers fans any reason to believe any different. However, it is what he did not say.

Good news, thank you lord, you always told me believe and keep faith and you will handle the rest. It's a secret, I'm not telling nobody what it is either, just know I am about to turn up.

Early projections toward Lewis' eventual asking-price have been anywhere from $35 to $50 million, and is expected to have many suitors when free-agency begins with the beginning of the league year at 4 p.m. ET March 12.

The team spent most of this week restructuring the contracts of Lawrence Timmons, Ben Roethlisberger and Antonio Brown. LaMarr Woodley is expected to restructure his deal before the week is up, too. The team had to be compliant with the NFL salary cap before the deadline, with enough consideration for their restricted free agents and exclusive rights free agents.

We've seen this before, most recently with James Harrison who left a cryptic status update about signing with a team other than Pittsburgh, which turned out to be his interaction with dodgeball. Lewis made no mention of his football team, family or future; but he definitely seems grateful this morning.

The conclusion many immediately jumped to was a possible agreement being reached between Lewis and the Steelers. If this is the case, we will have to wait to find out. The top-ranked pass defense from 2012 would be expected to continue its excellence if Lewis returns to start opposite of Ike Taylor, with impressive showings from now third-year corners Cortez Allen and Curtis Brown, sometimes.

While we won't bother speaking for Mr. Lewis directly, we will definitely keep our eyes on news-tickers when the deadline hits. If Lewis truly has reached an agreement with the team, they will most likely announce it at the beginning of the free-agency period.

For now, Lewis will just have to keep his little secret, while all of Steeler Nation hopes he spills the beans. He could be speaking of something completely unrelated to football, although good luck convincing his fan-base otherwise.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/3/1/4042324/steelers-free-agency-keenan-lewis-contract

steeltheone
03-02-2013, 01:33 AM
Rumor has it Ray Horton and the Browns are gonna come knocking. It makes sense, hurting the Steelers and gaining a corner is a huge plus.

The Steelers have no chance if Lewis wants money. The Browns have tons of cap room.

Fire Haley
03-02-2013, 05:47 AM
another teaser article, it doesn't mean squat when the money tap starts flowing

Early projections toward Lewis' eventual asking-price have been anywhere from $35 to $50 million, and is expected to have many suitors

Galax Steeler
03-02-2013, 05:59 AM
I hope we can get him resigned and we need another one in the up coming draft this year.

Fire Haley
03-02-2013, 06:37 AM
I hope we can get him resigned and we need another one in the up coming draft this year.

We'll need somebody to cover Mike Wallace, that's for sure.

teegre
03-02-2013, 10:25 AM
Please, let him be resigned.

If the Steelers wait until after March 12, other teams with cap room CAN offer MORE money. Ergo, sign him NOW, when the Steelers are the ONLY team who can negotiate with him.

cowherpower
03-02-2013, 10:26 AM
really hope we don't resign him to big money. please let take the money and run Lewis. Not in the mood to see you get signed to big contract by Steelers only to get exposed when you finally have to face good WR and teams with passing games unlike last season. He is not a top 50 corner

SteelersCanada
03-02-2013, 10:26 AM
Maybe he was just excited about reading this

http://www.thehouseofoojah.com/media/ccp0/prodlg/TheSecretCD.jpg

Steeldude
03-02-2013, 10:31 AM
with impressive showings from now third-year corners Cortez Allen and Curtis Brown

Brown was not impressive at all. He was slow to react and slow when it came to running.

tony hipchest
03-02-2013, 10:49 AM
He is not a top 50 corner

:rofl:

T-3Iq3XQkAw

:wave:

fer522
03-02-2013, 11:32 AM
Maybe his secret isn't even football related :coffee:

Fire Arians
03-02-2013, 11:38 AM
maybe hes gonna pull a lebron james and announce that he's signing to miami with mike wallace and tim tebow

Buddha Bus
03-02-2013, 04:41 PM
maybe hes gonna pull a lebron james and announce that he's signing to miami with mike wallace and tim tebow

Or that he's the leader of Aces and Eights? :noidea:

http://www.wrestleenigma.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/aces-and-eights-backstage.jpg

tanda10506
03-02-2013, 04:50 PM
Maybe I haven't been following CB salaries close enough, but I don't think we should pay big for a #2 CB with only one year of starting experience to go off of. He played well this year and I'd like to see us keep him, but we definitely shouldn't break the bank on him already. It's getting to the point that everybody thinks they are due a big contract for playing well in a few games or one season.

steelbelieve
03-02-2013, 09:14 PM
Steelers Keenan Lewis hints at 'a secret'

By SteelCityRoller on Mar 1 2013

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/8900821/156291420.0_standard_500.0.jpg

Lewis did not announce some really big news on Thursday. Lewis did not give Steelers fans reason to believe he may be close to signing a new contract. Lewis did say whatever it wasn't, it was big.

It is no secret the Pittsburgh Steelers will attempt to compete for the services of Keenan Lewis in 2013, after having a great first season as a full-time starter in 2012. Lewis is an unrestricted free-agent this off-season.

More: Steelers Free Agency stream Steelers sign QB Sherman speaks on Lewis
While cap compliance is within reach, few felt confident the team would be able to seriously compete to re-sign Lewis. On Thursday through his Facebook account, he technically didn't give Steelers fans any reason to believe any different. However, it is what he did not say.

Good news, thank you lord, you always told me believe and keep faith and you will handle the rest. It's a secret, I'm not telling nobody what it is either, just know I am about to turn up.

Early projections toward Lewis' eventual asking-price have been anywhere from $35 to $50 million, and is expected to have many suitors when free-agency begins with the beginning of the league year at 4 p.m. ET March 12.

The team spent most of this week restructuring the contracts of Lawrence Timmons, Ben Roethlisberger and Antonio Brown. LaMarr Woodley is expected to restructure his deal before the week is up, too. The team had to be compliant with the NFL salary cap before the deadline, with enough consideration for their restricted free agents and exclusive rights free agents.

We've seen this before, most recently with James Harrison who left a cryptic status update about signing with a team other than Pittsburgh, which turned out to be his interaction with dodgeball. Lewis made no mention of his football team, family or future; but he definitely seems grateful this morning.

The conclusion many immediately jumped to was a possible agreement being reached between Lewis and the Steelers. If this is the case, we will have to wait to find out. The top-ranked pass defense from 2012 would be expected to continue its excellence if Lewis returns to start opposite of Ike Taylor, with impressive showings from now third-year corners Cortez Allen and Curtis Brown, sometimes.

While we won't bother speaking for Mr. Lewis directly, we will definitely keep our eyes on news-tickers when the deadline hits. If Lewis truly has reached an agreement with the team, they will most likely announce it at the beginning of the free-agency period.

For now, Lewis will just have to keep his little secret, while all of Steeler Nation hopes he spills the beans. He could be speaking of something completely unrelated to football, although good luck convincing his fan-base otherwise.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/3/1/4042324/steelers-free-agency-keenan-lewis-contract

This is not good news for Steeler fans. Colbert has already said they will not offer a contract to any of their free agents until an offer is made to them. Sounds like Lewis has got a super offer from someone else in the bag.......and he quite excited about the amount.

steeltheone
03-02-2013, 11:36 PM
This is not good news for Steeler fans. Colbert has already said they will not offer a contract to any of their free agents until an offer is made to them. Sounds like Lewis has got a super offer from someone else in the bag.......and he quite excited about the amount. As he should be...He became a Steeler fan board legend with zero picks and second receiver coverage ( Ike ) He could be Larry Brown the second.

casteeler
03-02-2013, 11:44 PM
Maybe I haven't been following CB salaries close enough, but I don't think we should pay big for a #2 CB with only one year of starting experience to go off of. He played well this year and I'd like to see us keep him, but we definitely shouldn't break the bank on him already. It's getting to the point that everybody thinks they are due a big contract for playing well in a few games or one season.

I don't see where Lewis thinks he deserves big money either.The guy had 0 interceptions and cannot cover very simple short routes, he is 2nd best of a mediocre group of DBs. Taylor isn't really worth the 8million a year Lewis wants but maybe drafting a CB with the ability to tackle in the open field will open some eyes on what a complete corner is.

harrison'samonster
03-03-2013, 12:10 AM
I don't see where Lewis thinks he deserves big money either.The guy had 0 interceptions and cannot cover very simple short routes, he is 2nd best of a mediocre group of DBs. Taylor isn't really worth the 8million a year Lewis wants but maybe drafting a CB with the ability to tackle in the open field will open some eyes on what a complete corner is.

I've got to disagree with calling them mediocre DB's. we led the league against the pass without a significant pass-rush.

StainlessStill
03-03-2013, 01:56 AM
Or that he's the leader of Aces and Eights? :noidea:

http://www.wrestleenigma.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/aces-and-eights-backstage.jpg

Jeff Jarrett? Eric Bischoff? Bully Ray? Samoa Joe? Who knows with TNA, hah.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-03-2013, 06:52 AM
We'll need somebody to cover Mike Wallace, that's for sure.

Josh Gordon WR -Cleveland had similar numbers as Wallace this year. I think we can find CB's to cover 800 yd a year receivers.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-03-2013, 06:55 AM
I've got to disagree with calling them mediocre DB's. we led the league against the pass without a significant pass-rush.

You have a point there. Everybody complains that Harrison and Woodley didnt have any pass rush this year, or that Hood, Keisel, Heyward dont pressure the QB, yet the Steelers managed to defend the pass with Polamalu missing the majority of the season.

It must be all Ike Taylor and Ryan Clark defending the pass right? :wink02:

Buddha Bus
03-03-2013, 08:04 AM
Jeff Jarrett? Eric Bischoff? Bully Ray? Samoa Joe? Who knows with TNA, hah.

It'll probably end up being Brian Knobbs from the Nasty Boys knowing those idiots. :doh:

Fire Haley
03-03-2013, 08:22 AM
Josh Gordon WR -Cleveland had similar numbers as Wallace this year. I think we can find CB's to cover 800 yd a year receivers.

is that how they play corner on Madden?

you don't cover a WR's stats - you cover his speed

WokeUpWithaWoodley
03-03-2013, 09:39 AM

Put Ike Taylor on him, and half the time use a safety over the top. There you go you have contained the one trick pony.

Steel95
03-03-2013, 10:36 AM
I followed Keenan Lewis during his senior season up until now; this guy is not worth mega bucks. Lately the Steelers have gotten to generous with the contracts they have offered to their own players, not enough on the return investments. I wouldn't offer him a contract, let him test free agency, if another team wants to throw the bank at him, so be it. There is a reason the Steelers got him in the 3rd round; lets not forget it took 4yrs for this kid to develop.

cowherpower
03-03-2013, 11:03 AM
You have a point there. Everybody complains that Harrison and Woodley didnt have any pass rush this year, or that Hood, Keisel, Heyward dont pressure the QB, yet the Steelers managed to defend the pass with Polamalu missing the majority of the season.

It must be all Ike Taylor and Ryan Clark defending the pass right? :wink02:

We faced perhaps the weakest passing attacks in one season we probably will ever face. Any decent ones we faced we gave up yards and lost. We let teams dink and dunk and maybe our stats look good but our record says different. There aren't more than a handful of teams that Lewis is good enough to be a number 2 on let alone deserving of number 1 money. He is just not that good.

Steelerindc
03-03-2013, 11:21 AM
This guy had an okay year, and I don't think he had double digit INT's and he certainly did shut anyone down, so what's all the worry about?

Altantla just let go of Daunte, Philly might let Namdi go, even though each of them had down years they have more experience than this guy and won't ask for much in return.

Wallace17
03-03-2013, 11:21 AM
I say keep this guy and cut Ike either this season or next. Cortez Allen has some great swagger and needs to be on the field more. Ike has been on the down slide since 2011. Bronco's playoff game, I am still pretty pissed about it.

harrison'samonster
03-03-2013, 11:41 AM
I say keep this guy and cut Ike either this season or next. Cortez Allen has some great swagger and needs to be on the field more. Ike has been on the down slide since 2011. Bronco's playoff game, I am still pretty pissed about it.

I head what you're saying about the Broncos game, but those passes were perfect, and Ike was covering very well.

casteeler
03-03-2013, 12:48 PM

Mediocre is a pretty good word. The Steelers DBs forced 2 turnovers all season long and looked bad vs teams like Tenn,Oak and KC. Stats mean very little when you cannot stop QBs from sub .500 teams driving down the field to win games

harrison'samonster
03-03-2013, 12:54 PM
Mediocre is a pretty good word. The Steelers DBs forced 2 turnovers all season long and looked bad vs teams like Tenn,Oak and KC. Stats mean very little when you cannot stop QBs from sub .500 teams driving down the field to win games

me·di·o·cre
/ˌmēdēˈōkər/
Adjective
Of only moderate quality; not very good: "a mediocre actor".

mediocre isn't a good way to describe the part of the defense that is most responsible for defending the pass when that defense led the league against the pass.

I agree with you, stats mean nothing when you lose and we were 8-8. That doesn't mean everything was bad.

tmacsteelerfan
03-03-2013, 03:11 PM
I'll take our group of "mediocre DB's who had no problems shutting down one of the best WR corps in the NFL, TWICE last season against our biggest rival the Ravens. Torri Smith was a no show with Ike on him, Boldin caught passes, but didn't surpass 100 yards with Keenan on him, and Jacoby Jones won a game against us on ST, but Cortez handled him in the slot. Seeing how that group of WR's is staying together, I really want our same group of DB's back to do the same to Baltimore this season, perhaps we'll even have Troy and a pass rush? In that case our number 1 defense statistic may actually matter.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-03-2013, 04:12 PM

Not sure, I'll ask my son how he does things on Madden. Mike Wallace underperformed immensely, while the Browns rookie from Baylor played better than most thought he would. Wonder who had more drops last season?

We faced perhaps the weakest passing attacks in one season we probably will ever face. Any decent ones we faced we gave up yards and lost. We let teams dink and dunk and maybe our stats look good but our record says different. There aren't more than a handful of teams that Lewis is good enough to be a number 2 on let alone deserving of number 1 money. He is just not that good.

Just watch what he gets for a contract. You say Lewis isnt that good....based on what?? INT's??? Passes defended?? Tackles??

I love the pessimistic Steeler fans that cry we need better CB's, then when a Steeler CB actually has a great season, they think he isnt worth retaining.

steelbelieve
03-03-2013, 05:30 PM
As he should be...He became a Steeler fan board legend with zero picks and second receiver coverage ( Ike ) He could be Larry Brown the second.

I get the general idea of your post, but Keenan isn't Larry Brown II. He was an integral part of the number one defensive secondary in football without a pass rush. He also grew steadily during the year and when Ike went down moved into the top role flawlessly. I'm not suggesting he's the second coming of Darrell Revis, but this kid's got game and I think he's a very important signing for the Steelers.

cowherpower
03-03-2013, 10:27 PM
Not sure, I'll ask my son how he does things on Madden. Mike Wallace underperformed immensely, while the Browns rookie from Baylor played better than most thought he would. Wonder who had more drops last season?

Just watch what he gets for a contract. You say Lewis isnt that good....based on what?? INT's??? Passes defended?? Tackles??

I love the pessimistic Steeler fans that cry we need better CB's, then when a Steeler CB actually has a great season, they think he isnt worth retaining.

I don't care about stats when it comes to players performance. It's very misleading. I use the eye test. I dissect the team and its players. I consistently see Lewis a day late and a dollar short. He never had to face any of the stud receivers and when he did, our team lost and he was average. He can't keep up with receivers on their breaks. It's both his lack of ability and his lack of skill. I am sure he will get a nice contract but the team that does will regret it. If you can't put your corner on an island with the games best receivers then he isn't worth the money. But Lewis can't even cover number two's. Yes his stats show he had so many pass defends but this was against really subpar passing attacks, where he was thrown at instead of at Ike, so with increased chances come increased defends. That would be okay if he was like a lot of the other suspect corners who get picked on who at least get INT once in a while. Lewis does not.

Just because he is better than what we have does not make him worth what he is seeking. It's a condemnation of our total failure at addressing this position over the last decade. Total failure. So in comparison to Gay, Lewis is head and shoulders better. In comparison to Ike, Ike is as much superior to Lewis as Lewis is to Gay.

pittpete
03-03-2013, 11:02 PM
I use the eye test. I dissect the team and its players.

From your TV or the stands?
I had to LOL

Fire Haley
03-04-2013, 05:53 AM
Mike Wallace underperformed immensely.

So did the whole team, doesn't make him any slower.

so he's the new scapegoat now?

He had Mr Dink&Dunk at OC - I don't blame him for getting the hell out of town

Steelers>NFL
03-04-2013, 07:36 AM

Pat* are a dink & dunk team. Brady, Welker and company have not problem lighting up the score board, and racking up the yardage the same time.

Fire Haley
03-04-2013, 07:56 AM
WE ARE NOT THE PATS!

get that shit out of your head

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-04-2013, 08:12 AM
I don't care about stats when it comes to players performance. It's very misleading. I use the eye test. I dissect the team and its players. I consistently see Lewis a day late and a dollar short. He never had to face any of the stud receivers and when he did, our team lost and he was average. He can't keep up with receivers on their breaks. It's both his lack of ability and his lack of skill. I am sure he will get a nice contract but the team that does will regret it. If you can't put your corner on an island with the games best receivers then he isn't worth the money. But Lewis can't even cover number two's. Yes his stats show he had so many pass defends but this was against really subpar passing attacks, where he was thrown at instead of at Ike, so with increased chances come increased defends. That would be okay if he was like a lot of the other suspect corners who get picked on who at least get INT once in a while. Lewis does not.

Just because he is better than what we have does not make him worth what he is seeking. It's a condemnation of our total failure at addressing this position over the last decade. Total failure. So in comparison to Gay, Lewis is head and shoulders better. In comparison to Ike, Ike is as much superior to Lewis as Lewis is to Gay.

Lewis was a man cover corner at Oregon St. It took him a couple years to adjust to playing off man coverage. He finally has all his technique down to go along with his size, speed and understanding of the NFL game.

I hate leaning on stats too, but the passes defended seem to show he is breaking up more passes than most other NFL CB's. I see a guy that is playing great as an NFL CB, but you think he is merely a nickle corner. So I guess by your estimation, William Gay will be an upgrade.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-04-2013, 08:18 AM

I dont blame the Steelers for not wanting to pay a guy demanding $10million a season, when he drops routine passes. He's just the next WR to move on and I'm fine with that. Yancy Thigpen, Plaxico Burress, Santonio Holmes.......now Mike Wallace.

cowherpower
03-04-2013, 09:11 AM
From your TV or the stands?
I had to LOL

oh I see what you did there...ha ha ha....oh wait

and a 'like' from the board's resident clown Hipchest...I feel blessed

steeltheone
03-04-2013, 06:07 PM
I dont blame the Steelers for not wanting to pay a guy demanding $10million a season, when he drops routine passes. He's just the next WR to move on and I'm fine with that. Yancy Thigpen, Plaxico Burress, Santonio Holmes.......now Mike Wallace.

Mike Wallace like Plax never came thru when it counted....Yancy and ton" did.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-04-2013, 06:51 PM
Mike Wallace like Plax never came thru when it counted....Yancy and ton" did.

Yup, but they all wanted more cash and more footballs thrown at them. Holmes got to continue a great career with Sanchez throwing him the football, just like Randle El got to play with a great QB in Washington. :doh:

WR is the position in the NFL that is most dependant on others like a QB and O Line. Shelling out big money for them has never made much sense to me unless you have the other 2 in order.

CB can benefit from a pass rush and the Steelers didnt have much of one. Its why I think Lewis proved his worth in the NFL last season and is going to get paid well because of it.

fer522
03-04-2013, 06:56 PM
WE ARE NOT THE PATS!

get that shit out of your head

You're right Wallace won't do what Welker does

FrancoLambert
03-04-2013, 07:10 PM
Ideally, if we could afford him he's definitely worth keeping.

He's shown steady improvement and could go to the next level with nore time and experience.

Maybe that's why he's going to get an offer from another team for more than the Steelers can afford.

tony hipchest
03-04-2013, 07:11 PM
oh I see what you did there...ha ha ha....oh wait

and a 'like' from the board's resident clown Hipchest...I feel blessed

dont be sad.

i didnt realize we had a real life, professional couch scout, gracing us with your presense...

austinfrench76
03-04-2013, 09:45 PM
Wallace can go but we NEED Lewis. But now that we have Gay back. At least we won't need Brown playing a huge part as a nickel or dime guy. He is still very raw. Look forward to Lewis coming back though as our 1 kept FA.

Bane
03-04-2013, 10:06 PM
dont be sad.

i didnt realize we had a real life, professional couch scout, gracing us with your presense...

He's got some gems we could all learn from.

Like that forty times determine success rates in the NFL.

OX1947
03-04-2013, 10:07 PM
He was hinting at something Gay. And then it happened today.

cowherpower
03-04-2013, 11:51 PM
ha, and here come Tony's girlfriends to the rescue on cue. It's funny how whenever there is someone putting down other's opinions, blasting their posts or espousing weak arguments, Tony is there. Either he is the one bashing, or he is 'thanking' others for doing it. And from an "administrator' too. lmao

Didn't you learn to behave when that dude lambasted you back in the day embarrassed you in front of your minions? Do you kick people off the site until only 'winners' like you with like minds are left so you can congratulate yourselves on your weak posts where you offer no counterpoints, just insults?

Anyway, back to football....

To Bane: 40 times determine NFL success? Please show me a post where I said that. Really, instead of being smarmy like your idol, and putting words in people's mouths, please prove I am wrong about you and show where I said that. You got your post in, trying to be cute. Now I am calling you out smart guy. Oh you can't? Hmmm...maybe don't be that guy and don't do that thing...where you try and be funny at someone else's expense...only to fail miserably. Thanks..

Great 6th post Bane!!!! or is that another of Tony's aliases?

teegre
03-05-2013, 12:15 AM
He was hinting at something Gay. And then it happened today.

Ah... great point. The "secret" could have been the return of Will I am GAY.

For all those hating the GAY signing, think about it this way: would you rather have GAY or Curtis Brown as your 4th CB?

Remember: during the years prior to him starting, as the NB, GAY was superb.

Lastly, I was "hopeful" about Curtis Brown... but I "know" that GAY can indeed play the 4th spot.

Bane
03-05-2013, 12:31 AM
To Bane: 40 times determine NFL success? Please show me a post where I said that. Really, instead of being smarmy like your idol, and putting words in people's mouths, please prove I am wrong about you and show where I said that. You got your post in, trying to be cute. Now I am calling you out smart guy. Oh you can't? Hmmm...maybe don't be that guy and don't do that thing...where you try and be funny at someone else's expense...only to fail miserably. Thanks..

Great 6th post Bane!!!! or is that another of Tony's aliases?

Earl Thomas 4.4 range
Troy Polomalu 4.33
Eric Weddle 4.48
Eric Berry 4.4
Michael Griffin 4.42
Brandon Merriweather 4.47

Some good slower safeties including Adrian Wilson, Ed Reed, Jairus Byrd are still faster than him. I believe with the changing NFL with more passing, better TE, wide open attacks...you can't excel with 4.6 safeties. Sorry the facts back it up. You can make plays at the collegiate level in a bad conference but that lack of speed can be exposed at the next level. I love everything else and if he falls to 2nd I would jump on him...just think he killed his chances at top 20 and for us we'd be better served by trading back or taking LT (as this is great draft for OL and we should be able to get huge upgrade at 17), cb (obviously), or OLB (another obvious. At 17 that best player available list wouldn't include Vaccaro. He might not even be first safety taken.

Bolded for emphasis. Sorry, I do try to think before I talk. Now, I'd advise you crawl back under your bridge avoid this "trying to be cute" act that you're so emphatically putting on (while accusing others of doing so). And my idol? Please. I don't idolize fictional characters. But I suppose any defense beyond that would be further feeding into your hilariously misguided trolling attempts.

But, come on. Bring on the personal attacks. Get yourself banned for becoming angry about being called out for misinformed and erroneous statements. I'm down for a good show.

tony hipchest
03-05-2013, 12:34 AM
ha, and here come Tony's girlfriends to the rescue on cue. It's funny how whenever there is someone putting down other's opinions, blasting their posts or espousing weak arguments, Tony is there. Either he is the one bashing, or he is 'thanking' others for doing it. And from an "administrator' too. lmao

Didn't you learn to behave when that dude lambasted you back in the day embarrassed you in front of your minions? Do you kick people off the site until only 'winners' like you with like minds are left so you can congratulate yourselves on your weak posts where you offer no counterpoints, just insults?

Anyway, back to football....

Great 6th post Bane!!!! or is that another of Tony's aliases?does your butthurt much, mr 6X, couch potato scout, champion of da internetz?

you seem a bit sore about something... :noidea:

VaDave
03-05-2013, 07:23 AM
Is the cat out of the bag yet???

teegre
03-05-2013, 07:35 AM
Is the cat out of the bag yet???

Using a more specific metaphor:
Will I am GAY is out of the closet.

VaDave
03-05-2013, 07:42 AM
Now now, play nice....LOL!!!

teegre
03-05-2013, 07:49 AM
What???... I was implying... oh... whoops.

VaDave
03-05-2013, 07:52 AM
LOL!!

steelfury02
03-05-2013, 09:01 AM
Um, yea, is dis da place for duh sucrets?

cowherpower
03-05-2013, 09:01 AM
Bolded for emphasis. Sorry, I do try to think before I talk. Now, I'd advise you crawl back under your bridge avoid this "trying to be cute" act that you're so emphatically putting on (while accusing others of doing so). And my idol? Please. I don't idolize fictional characters. But I suppose any defense beyond that would be further feeding into your hilariously misguided trolling attempts.

But, come on. Bring on the personal attacks. Get yourself banned for becoming angry about being called out for misinformed and erroneous statements. I'm down for a good show.

That's odd...still haven't seen where I say 40 times DETERMINE success. I did say based on changing offenses of the NFL, with rules making it harder to play D, you will not EXCEL as a safety running a 4.6. Can you play in this league and do well? Of course, I never said you couldn't. But keeping up with TE that run sub 4.5s and 3rd and 4th WR that run 4.4 imho is not going to happen. That is an opinion on what is to transpire in the future. Not the past, not when Jim Brown played, not three years ago. Your bolded highlighted post by me clearly explains that. It's called reading comprehension.

But once AGAIN, you put words in my mouth which is what I accused you of. Proving me right. And then to see hipchest once AGAIN chiming in when he sees others trying to bash people's posts, is exactly what I accused him of. You can't make this up. It's like you are following a script. I call you out for what you are doing, and in trying to refute me, you do it AGAIN. lmao. Too much!

In the future. Don't say you aren't something, and in trying to prove it...be that something. And hipchest, if you are incapable of posting anything of substance, i.e. stating an opinion on a topic, explaining why you feel that way, and not spewing ignorance and insults if someone disagrees with you...just don't post. It really makes you look dumb with your one liners and forces people to devote time putting you in your place. But this is fun for me so I don't mind. :popcorn:

VaDave
03-05-2013, 09:20 AM
Sound like a real riot!

RE: Speed.

I hear your point about speed being a factor in the secondary. While maintaining speed man for man is the optimal situation, on defense quickness, acceleration, fluid hips ( not a strong suit of Lewis BTW), coverage shading, not to mention decent pressure on the QB can mitigate a speed mismatch.

Exactly how much of a disadvantage you are going to have going from a 4.4 to a 4.6? If you ask me can't be that much, like 2-3 inches on a 40 yard dash running side by side. Anybody have the exact number?

jacobo
03-05-2013, 09:37 AM
a secret?

What, does he have a vagina or something?

VaDave
03-05-2013, 09:52 AM
Probably not, but that prospect has been suggested many a time about players on the Steelers.

harrison'samonster
03-05-2013, 10:29 AM
if he shows you his secret, you have to keep it

steelfury02
03-05-2013, 11:23 AM
if he shows you his secret, you have to keep it

i'm officially creeped out:ouch:

VaDave
03-05-2013, 12:44 PM
This thread has taken a serious turn for the worse.

Steelerindc
03-05-2013, 12:46 PM
I have question and excuse me if this sounds ignorant. If we signed W.Gay, why wouldn't we sign someone like C. Woodson who has also been released?

steelfury02
03-05-2013, 12:49 PM
I have question and excuse me if this sounds ignorant. If we signed W.Gay, why wouldn't we sign someone like C. Woodson who has also been released?

because he'll be asking for too much dough plus he's much older in CB years than Gay. That doesn't mean he still isn't valuable - just not possible with all the needs and depth concerns pretty much at every other position

Also - Steelers don't sign big names

austinfrench76
03-05-2013, 12:50 PM
Also, why waste the money? We have Allen waiting in the wings. Let him start this year and probably take some lumps but get it out of the way. I think Allen is our next Taylor.

Hawaii 5-0
03-05-2013, 01:04 PM

yes it has but it could be much much worse.

this could have turned into another Mike Wallace thread...

harrison'samonster
03-05-2013, 01:05 PM

Lewis and Wallace are best friends, maybe the secret has something to do with Wallace.

Hawaii 5-0
03-05-2013, 01:54 PM
Lewis and Wallace are best friends, maybe the secret has something to do with Wallace.

:sofunny:

DanRooney
03-05-2013, 04:33 PM
Well looks like we're letting a top 5 WR go as well as a promising starting corner...

but we have William Gay back! SB. :tt:

VaDave
03-05-2013, 05:25 PM

That is worse!!! MUCH worse!!! LOL!!!

VaDave
03-05-2013, 05:27 PM
Well looks like we're letting a top 5 WR go as well as a promising starting corner...

but we have William Gay back! SB. :tt:

Now, don't get your suspenders in a knot..... All will be well.

VaDave
03-05-2013, 05:29 PM
Allen is ready for #2. Two years ago I had him pegged for # 1 when Taylor hangs 'em up. He just needs a little more time in the saddle and he's going to be fine.

teegre
03-05-2013, 05:55 PM

Now THAT is how one seamlessly segues a thread into a "Wallace thread."

lardlad
03-05-2013, 08:17 PM
Lewis had no ints, but do you recall a guy getting his hands on the ball so much. Seemed like he broke up a bunch of long balls.

I thought he was great lat season ints or not.

harrison'samonster
03-05-2013, 08:19 PM
Now THAT is how one seamlessly segues a thread into a "Wallace thread."

I couldn't help it, Hawaii 5-0 made me do it.

I agree Lardlad, Lewis was "only" knocking the ball down, but the dude attacks the ball in the air. And it's not luck it's the way he plays

Hawaii 5-0
03-05-2013, 08:26 PM

I agree Lardlad, Lewis was "only" knocking the ball down, but the dude attacks the ball in the air.

I wish Mike Wallace would attack the ball in the air the way Keenan Lewis does :wink02:

lardlad
03-05-2013, 08:44 PM

I agree Lardlad, Lewis was "only" knocking the ball down, but the dude attacks the ball in the air. And it's not luck it's the way he plays

Second in the league in passes defended. Didn't know that until just now and people are here trying to down play him because he had no picks????

Pffffft.

We all know Ike is the best corner since Woodson (a distant second) I think we all agree Ike is a #1 corner and he has hands of stone.

Who was better on defense last season? Timmons probably but that was it. Cripes the guy seemed to get his hands on the ball every game and on big big passes. So if he has two or three picks, what do we bitch about then the zero touchdown passes he threw?

Don't know what he wants, and he very well could bomb out next year but the best we have to go by is last season. He was given a shot and IMO deserves to cash in. Maybe we can wait 5-6 years to pass judgement on him until he is proven, the we can argue about how old he is and his time has passed and its time to move on.

Thank god the freaking fans don't run the team.

Ok, I'm done. All better now.

VaDave
03-06-2013, 08:40 AM
RE: Taylors Hands

I've never seen an athlete so gifted, fight off a football like it had the plague as well as Ike Taylor....... I mean come on, does he not have opposable thumbs or something?

RE: Lewis,

No doubt Lewis had a good year until he got hurt in the Dallas game, and then sucked it up big time for us the rest of the way. We are NOT going to be a better team when he goes. That said, Allen is going to be a good one for us for a long time. It would have been really great to have both Lewis and Allen locked up long term. Oh Well.

steelfury02
03-06-2013, 09:03 AM
RE: Taylors Hands

I've never seen an athlete so gifted, fight off a football like it had the plague as well as Ike Taylor....... I mean come on, does he not have opposable thumbs or something?

RE: Lewis,

No doubt Lewis had a good year until he got hurt in the Dallas game, and then sucked it up big time for us the rest of the way. We are NOT going to be a better team when he goes. That said, Allen is going to be a good one for us for a long time. It would have been really great to have both Lewis and Allen locked up long term. Oh Well.

the position is not going to be worse than what we had in 10' - maybe if a couple of fat cats would budge a little we could retain him

remember this past SB run - you don't need a fantastic defense anymore to win a championship - we need our offense to carry the load for once. we can get by on just a solid secondary

wwhickok
03-06-2013, 09:10 AM
I just hope Lewis' secret is not that he intends to sign with Cleveland, lol.

steelfury02
03-06-2013, 09:13 AM
I just hope Lewis' secret is not that he intends to sign with Cleveland, lol.

ah well - I got six words that negates any addition to the Cleveland Browns: 29 yr old sixth year QB

8 turnovers and still only beat us by 6/7 points. They have the same problems with offense our team has had only without the talent to overcome some glaring needs

that defense is getting better though - but, not enough to overtake us for 3rd place lol:chuckle:

VaDave
03-06-2013, 09:18 AM
the position is not going to be worse than what we had in 10' - maybe if a couple of fat cats would budge a little we could retain him

remember this past SB run - you don't need a fantastic defense anymore to win a championship - we need our offense to carry the load for once. we can get by on just a solid secondary

Agreed.

Fire Haley
03-06-2013, 09:26 AM

I say just the opposite.

I nominate it for Thread of the Week!

VaDave
03-06-2013, 09:31 AM
So, it took a turn for the better when I wasn't looking....

WokeUpWithaWoodley
03-06-2013, 09:51 AM
If anyone follows steelers players on Instagram then you probably saw the picture Lewis sent out.

Must of been from a newspaper but

It said should the saints sign native sons mike Wallace , Keenan Lewis in free agency?
And with a comment by lewis saying what y'all think?

harrison'samonster
03-06-2013, 09:58 AM
If anyone follows steelers players on Instagram then you probably saw the picture Lewis sent out.

It said should the saints sign native sons mike Wallace , Keenan Lewis in free agency?

i wouldn't jump to conclusions, I think it's just Lewis likes seeing his name in the headlines, he's pretty new to it

SteelersCanada
03-06-2013, 10:09 AM

Well, considering the Saints are roughly 16 million over the cap right now, I very much doubt they're going to be in play for anyone in free agency let alone a receiver that's asking to be the third highest paid in the league and a CB that will command 7+ a year.

austinfrench76
03-06-2013, 11:19 AM
Their cap sitch will not allow it unless they make significant cuts...next.

steelfury02
03-07-2013, 09:37 AM
Would anybody on here entertain the thought of cutting Ike to keep Lewis and Allen? Just food for discussion.

Lewis's ceiling is certainly higher and Ike might be slipping into the "downside of his career" category

In no way am I saying "get rid of Ike" - simply seeing what others think about that scenario.

Shanks:thumbsup:

harrison'samonster
03-07-2013, 09:49 AM
Would anybody on here entertain the thought of cutting Ike to keep Lewis and Allen? Just food for discussion.

Lewis's ceiling is certainly higher and Ike might be slipping into the "downside of his career" category

In no way am I saying "get rid of Ike" - simply seeing what others think about that scenario.

Shanks:thumbsup:

Lewis and Allen together over the next 5-7 years sounds great, and it would be tempting to let Ike go if that was necessary. However, I still would hold on to #24, he's still the best of the three.

steelfury02
03-07-2013, 09:54 AM
Lewis and Allen together over the next 5-7 years sounds great, and it would be tempting to let Ike go if that was necessary. However, I still would hold on to #24, he's still the best of the three.

certainly Ike's body of work shows that he's a top corner in the league. i'm sure we could get 1-2 more good to great seasons out of him, I'm just wondering if the Steelers org is having a harder time letting go because of some personnel that haven't gotten up to par yet

Not to get off topic, but, could Woodley take money in the form of some type of bonus to free up $$ for Lewis? (or others) - I just have a hard time wrapping my head around some of these contracts. If Timmons of all people who really is stepping it up can help out - why can't Woodley? Or - why won't he? (no more fuel to the Woodley fire - I promsise!)

harrison'samonster
03-07-2013, 10:00 AM
Not to get off topic, but, could Woodley take money in the form of some type of bonus to free up $$ for Lewis? (or others) - I just have a hard time wrapping my head around some of these contracts. If Timmons of all people who really is stepping it up can help out - why can't Woodley? Or - why won't he? (no more fuel to the Woodley fire - I promsise!)

I don't know anything for sure, but I seem to remember that restructuring has been brought up between the Steelers and Woodley. Not sure if this is true or even which stage the negotiations are in if it is true.

One reason Woodley would be reluctant to make a deal on his contract, is once a player enters into renegotiating or restructuring, the team has every right to change that contract in any way they see fit (or at least that's the way it once was). So a player coming off a bad season wouldn't want to give the team a chance to take millions away from them.

We'll see how it turns out. As for Ike and Lewis and Allen and Gay, I'd love for them all to be on the team. Hopefully the team has found a way to make it happen.

steelfury02
03-07-2013, 10:03 AM
I don't know anything for sure, but I seem to remember that restructuring has been brought up between the Steelers and Woodley. Not sure if this is true or even which stage the negotiations are in if it is true.

One reason Woodley would be reluctant to make a deal on his contract, is once a player enters into renegotiating or restructuring, the team has every right to change that contract in any way they see fit (or at least that's the way it once was). So a player coming off a bad season wouldn't want to give the team a chance to take millions away from them.

We'll see how it turns out. As for Ike and Lewis and Allen and Gay, I'd love for them all to be on the team. Hopefully the team has found a way to make it happen.

well, this puts the pressure on Woodley into perspective - and I totally agree - that foursome at CB is a top 5 group IMO

VaDave
03-07-2013, 10:21 AM
The scuttlebutt I've read about Woodley is that they are in the process of restructuring his contract. With a restructure, salary is converted in to a bonus and prorated over the remain years of the contract. Woodley gets his money up front, he's happy cause he gets paid hurt or not, and the team gets cap relief. It's a win-win and I'm certain the details will be announced soon.

As for changes in the original contract, that is a possibility. He could be extended, performance clauses added, I would hope a fitness standard with some serious teeth in it.... among other things.

cowherpower
03-09-2013, 12:10 PM
I think the money Buffalo just signed Leodis McKelvin 4 year 20 (which many think is a bit high considering his production) is about right for what Lewis should expect. I would have no problem with that contract. I am not sure if this hurts or helps us resigning him. With his high opinion of himself, backed up by most here on this board, he could easily say he deserves more and rightfully so. But, Buffalo overpaid a bit so I think that money is fine. Or, maybe seeing what a legit number 2 gets in this league might set the bar lower on Lewis and maybe we get him for 5 year 25 which is as high as I would like to see. After all, if Lewis is as good as some of you claim, and he thinks, then after a few years he will justify one last extension with big signing bonus...tearing up his old contract.

Hawaii 5-0
03-09-2013, 12:20 PM
I think the money Buffalo just signed Leodis McKelvin 4 year 20 (which many think is a bit high considering his production) is about right for what Lewis should expect. I would have no problem with that contract. I am not sure if this hurts or helps us resigning him. With his high opinion of himself, backed up by most here on this board, he could easily say he deserves more and rightfully so. But, Buffalo overpaid a bit so I think that money is fine. Or, maybe seeing what a legit number 2 gets in this league might set the bar lower on Lewis and maybe we get him for 5 year 25 which is as high as I would like to see. After all, if Lewis is as good as some of you claim, and he thinks, then after a few years he will justify one last extension with big signing bonus...tearing up his old contract.

rumor has it that Keenan Lewis is looking for a contract averaging $8 million/year.

Steel_Bus_24
03-09-2013, 12:25 PM
Im going to be really pissed if we lose lewis anyways

harrison and wallace go to patriots and then they(Patriots) draft austin

austinfrench76
03-09-2013, 12:47 PM
After cutting Harrison we CANNOT lose Lewis. That would be a killer seeing that our pass rush will take a hit next year. We will need shut down corners to make up for it! If we have Ike, Leiws, Allen, Gay and Brown. That's a solid quintet that could make up, A LITTLE, for the lack of a pass rush. Unless of course Dough Boy Woodley gets into shape and wants to play. Even then though, the other side of Carter or Worlids probably won't do much. I did see that Ed Bouchette commneted on Twitter that they may consider moving Timmons to the outside and drafting ILB??? I know Timmons showed nothing when he replaced James in the past but who knows. I love Harrison's game so this day sucks! unless we somehow sign Lewis it won't seem worth it to me.

cowherpower
03-09-2013, 01:24 PM
rumor has it that Keenan Lewis is looking for a contract averaging $8 million/year.

Yeah, I have been hearing 7-8 million per. It's a lot of money for someone who I don't believe will beat out Allen even if does stay. I see Ike, Allen, Gay (nickle) so hope Brown gets better, draft a CB in 1st or 2nd and we'll be just fine. The Gay signing really does point to Lewis going with the above lineup most likely. Maybe if Troy finds the fountain of youth our secondary would actually be much improved over last season.

BlaZeQuietly
03-09-2013, 01:41 PM
There are 2 things we can count on, Big Ben and Keenan Lewis.... but seriously, watch some tapes of lewis, he is very talented and can stay step for step with some of the fastest wide outs in the game, plays the position VERY WELL, who cares if he took 4 years to develop. Now, after losing Harrision I think it's time we start keeping some of our good players.

Fire Haley
03-09-2013, 01:48 PM

it's not a rumor without a twitter link

steeltheone
03-09-2013, 01:53 PM
it's not a rumor without a twitter link

He will get it, just not in Pittsburgh.

Hawaii 5-0
03-09-2013, 04:46 PM
He will get it, just not in Pittsburgh.

18 NFL Stars Who Are Going to Get Paid in 2013

BY MARC LILLIBRIDGE (FEATURED COLUMNIST) ON NOVEMBER 6, 2012

Lewis has bypassed Ike Taylor as the best cornerback on the Steelers' roster. And that maturation could not have happened at a better time.

Lewis will be a highly sought-after free agent in 2013. The Steelers will have a tough decision to make in determining who to franchise-tag: Lewis or Mike Wallace. Both will make big money on the open market, but setting career highs this season has added to Lewis' value.

Look for Lewis to stay a Steeler because general manager Kevin Colbert values his draft selections and paying the players that have been there from the start. But Lewis will command at least $8 million a year and could get more.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1399370-18-nfl-stars-that-are-going-to-get-paid-in-2013/page/17

harrison'samonster
03-09-2013, 04:50 PM
Mooooore? He wants moooooore?

cowherpower
03-09-2013, 11:20 PM
There are 2 things we can count on, Big Ben and Keenan Lewis.... but seriously, watch some tapes of lewis, he is very talented and can stay step for step with some of the fastest wide outs in the game, plays the position VERY WELL, who cares if he took 4 years to develop. Now, after losing Harrision I think it's time we start keeping some of our good players.

I have and disagree. While he does a decent job against the average wideout, I see too many instances where he is trailing the receiver and out of position. Many of his 'pass defends' were errant throws by QB. If he was to man up against the games #1 receivers he would get owned. I still am amazed that people think he is something more than he is. They read these articles written by guys that, to me, aren't watching the games, or taking our opponents skill into the equation. Honestly, Allen exhibits more natural ability than Lewis. It hasn't taken four years for Allen to come on, and I believe with another camp, he will be the defacto number one corner. Younger, better, more deserving of a big contract.

Lewis always seemed like a good FS prospect. I could have sworn there was talk of that a couple years ago...a possible switch. He seems to play better with the ball in front of him.

teegre
03-09-2013, 11:36 PM
I have and disagree. While he does a decent job against the average wideout, I see too many instances where he is trailing the receiver and out of position. Many of his 'pass defends' were errant throws by QB. If he was to man up against the games #1 receivers he would get owned. I still am amazed that people think he is something more than he is. They read these articles written by guys that, to me, aren't watching the games, or taking our opponents skill into the equation. Honestly, Allen exhibits more natural ability than Lewis. It hasn't taken four years for Allen to come on, and I believe with another camp, he will be the defacto number one corner. Younger, better, more deserving of a big contract.

Lewis always seemed like a good FS prospect. I could have sworn there was talk of that a couple years ago...a possible switch. He seems to play better with the ball in front of him.

Now:
Ike is the #1. Lewis is the #2.

Once Ike retires:
Allen is the #1. Lewis is the #2.

[Yes, there was talk of him switching to FS.]

Steel_Bus_24
03-09-2013, 11:40 PM
Remember this

mjIDfRjrmx8

Im starting to get the feeling lewis will be running off with Wallace to miami

austinfrench76
03-09-2013, 11:46 PM
Wallace isnt going tk Miami. They resigned Hartline. I think we keep Lewis. I pray!!!

ZoneBlitzer
03-10-2013, 10:12 AM
Lewis will be gone. I think that's why they got Gay.

Stairway to 7
03-10-2013, 12:19 PM
really hope we don't resign him to big money. please let take the money and run Lewis. Not in the mood to see you get signed to big contract by Steelers only to get exposed when you finally have to face good WR and teams with passing games unlike last season. He is not a top 50 corner

That is absolute garbage.

steelfury02
03-10-2013, 12:27 PM
Wallace isnt going tk Miami. They resigned Hartline. I think we keep Lewis. I pray!!!

except it was only a 5 year, 30 million deal with 12 guaranteed - fair but not staggering considering he only had 1 1000 yard season

they can still get Wallace and might pay him around 13 mil

anyways, at this point - I would have rather heard we kept Starks with Colon's money and that Ike was cut to keep Lewis. I say we might as well just start the future right now at this rate - especially if our pass rush is as terrible as it is looking on paper

steelfury02
03-10-2013, 12:40 PM
Remember this

mjIDfRjrmx8

Im starting to get the feeling lewis will be running off with Wallace to miami

look at the 1:50 mark with that hair - Wallace needs to go back to his thug look if he's going to be paid like one

pete74
03-10-2013, 01:50 PM

Signing Hartline has nothing to do with Miami pursuing Wallace. They are still 30 some million under the cap and they want a #1 WR. Wallace is a #1 WR, and Hartline is not

BKAnthem
03-10-2013, 01:55 PM
except it was only a 5 year, 30 million deal with 12 guaranteed - fair but not staggering considering he only had 1 1000 yard season

they can still get Wallace and might pay him around 13 mil

anyways, at this point - I would have rather heard we kept Starks with Colon's money and that Ike was cut to keep Lewis. I say we might as well just start the future right now at this rate - especially if our pass rush is as terrible as it is looking on paper

Cut Ike? why would we cut our best corner...not mention there are cap considerations....but why would we cut our best corner?

pczach
03-10-2013, 02:18 PM
Ike isn't going anywhere. He has played his best football the last couple years and is unquestionably our best corner. I want to keep Lewis and Allen. I see Allen as our #1 and Lewis as our #2 in a few years. Ike is a big physical guy that can cover and hit and that I think can be moved to free safety down the road. I could see this happening. In a few years, Clark will probably be done, and we will see about Polamolu in the next year or so. He is still extremely athletic. If he can stay healthy, which I know is a big if, The last few years of injuries were just bad luck and he can play this game for more than a few years at a very high level. This would also not make safety a priority in this draft, and allow the team to focus on OLB, ILB, and WR. If there is an unbelievable OL available when the Steelers pick, they can grab him, and pick a safety late. There are 15 projected starters at safety in this years draft. Most years there are 6-7 projected starters. There has never been a better year to take a safety late in the draft. I could see the Steelers going in this direction. Of course, none of this works if they don't sign Lewis, but I could see our secondary being solid for a long time if they do.

Does anyone else think this could work? I think the team could still be very strong next year, and this course of action would help keep stability and young veterans that know the system.

austinfrench76
03-10-2013, 02:29 PM
I just read about Miami still pursuing Wallacve so I was wrong. My fault but I still don't care where he goes, just go already and let's resign Lewis!

steelfury02
03-10-2013, 07:13 PM
Cut Ike? why would we cut our best corner...not mention there are cap considerations....but why would we cut our best corner?

I love Ike, but with all the glaring needs that are popping up all over the place - I'm liking what freeing up space could mean for the future more and more each day - I just am shooting the breeze, wondering if this coming season is not THE season to just start ripping off the band aids

If they keep him that's fine - but, he IS on the wrong side of 32 and showing some chinks in the armor - that's all

He is our best corner, you're right - Harrison was our best pass rusher, and now he's gone - just saying. Sometimes its not about being the best, sometimes its about moving on into a new situation that is better for moving forward

Hawaii 5-0
03-10-2013, 08:05 PM
Taking stock at the corners

As we sit here in early March, the top three cornerbacks shape up as Ike Taylor and Cortez Allen starting and William Gay in the slot in the nickel defense. Maybe they will pull a rabbit out of their hat and re-sign Lewis, but that is beginning to look as difficult as re-signing Wallace.

They would not have signed Gay had they thought Lewis would be back or if Curtis Brown developed the way they had hoped. Brown was a third-round pick from Texas in 2011, and Allen was a fourth-rounder from that football hotbed, The Citadel. Allen was a late bloomer, having not played football until his senior year in high school (thus, The Citadel).

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/on-the-steelers-harrison-release-could-be-a-sign-of-things-to-come-678724/#ixzz2NBHHvUXQ

Millers the sh!t
03-10-2013, 09:52 PM
If they keep him that's fine - but, he IS on the wrong side of 32 and showing some chinks in the armor - that's all

Let's keep the Asian racist slurs off this board please.

In all seriousness, I kind of agree with ya. We can dump him, maybe get a draft pick in a trade and see what Allen and Lewis can do. Well have a few painful years but decent draft picks to go along with them. With or without ike, if we cant fix this offense then we are gonna have a few shitty years anyways. May as well get young in all areas. Maybe in 3 years we can get one more honest run out of Ben and the team.

Hawaii 5-0
03-11-2013, 12:37 AM
Optimism Surrounding Keenan Lewis’ Return to the Pittsburgh Steelers is Fading Fast

by Steelblitz

Everyone knew heading into the 2013 off-season that the Pittsburgh Steelers were going to have some tough decision to make. The first of those tough decision was made yesterday when the Steelers released veteran outside linebacker James Harrison. Harrison’s release didn’t come as a huge surprise, but it’s never easy to replace a player of his caliber. A season ago the Steelers said goodbye to Aaron Smith and James Farrior two main-stays on the defensive front. With Harrison’s release and the Steelers not expected to bring back Casey Hampton in free agency the front seven will see two more of their veteran leaders move on.

It has been a long running tradition in Pittsburgh for them to watch star players leave and replace them with young players who become the next group of stars. That is the reason why most Steelers fans don’t talk about rebuilding, but instead refer to it as reloading. However, the Steelers have had some less-than-stellar draft classes recently and now they will have to do their best to replace Harrison and Hampton this off-season. Steve McLendon seems ready to take over as the nose tackle, but another team could still try to sign him even though he is a restricted free agent. Due to the tender the Steelers placed on McLendon another team would not have to give up any compensation to sign him.

Replacing Harrison at right outside linebacker could be Jason Worilds, but Worilds has had injury issues with his wrist and there isn’t a lot of shared confidence about his abilities. During his three NFL seasons Worilds has played in 42 games and has 10 career sacks, but he has played much better on the left side of the defense than on the right side. For that reason I have brought up the possibility of moving LaMarr Woodley to the right side so that Worilds can play on the left where he looks more comfortable. Woodley has the ability to be one of the top pass rushers in the NFL when healthy and I fully expect him to be back in top form in 2013.

However, during this 2013 season it’s not the veteran players the Steelers are losing that are causing some Steelers fans the most worries. Instead many fans, including myself, are more concerned with the possible loss of corner Keenan Lewis. Lewis finally came into his own and played very well during the 2011 season. In 2012 he took over as a starter for the departed William Gay, who was recently re-signed, and really made a name for himself. Now it is expected that another team may be willing to offer Lewis a large contract on the open market. If that happens the Steelers likely won’t be able to match due to their salary cap issues and will lose their young up-and-coming corner.

The Steelers are also expected to lose wide receiver Mike Wallace. That’s two young players that are just entering their prime that may be on their way out of Pittsburgh. This won’t be the first time the Steelers lose a young play-making wide receiver. They allowed Plaxico Burress to walk as a free agent early in his career and they traded Santonio Holmes to the Jets because of off-the-field issues. However, it’s rare for the Steelers to let a young defensive player walk in free agency.

Early in the off-season most Steelers beat writers and analysts believed that Lewis would be back with the team in 2013, but now that optimism is fading very quickly. Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette has written multiple times recently that he doesn’t believe Lewis will be back because of the deals he will be offered on the open market. Lewis may get a contract with an annual salary in the range of six or seven million. That may price him right out of the Steelers range due to their salary cap issues.

Earlier this week I brought up the idea of cutting Ike Taylor, who will be 33 next season, to open up the cap space needed to keep Lewis around. That idea was met with fans that agreed and disagreed, but my opinion is that the Steelers would be smart to keep the younger player who is just entering his prime rather than a 33 year old corner, who may only have two or three years left in his NFL career.

It would be very hard to watch Lewis walk in free agency just as he starts to come into his own as an NFL corner, but that is the position the Steelers now find themselves in with their salary cap situation. Pittsburgh used to be the type of team that would have cut Harrison two years ago and had a replacement who was a Pro Bowl player last season, but recent draft struggled have caused problems in that area. Instead we may watch a young star leave this off-season.

Luckily for the Steelers they have another young and good looking corner in Cortez Allen. Also, the signing of William Gay back to the Steelers adds some experience and a player that started for the defense just two years ago. However, watching Lewis leave would not be easy and the loss could hurt a secondary that ranked first in the league in 2012. Hopefully the Steelers can come to terms with Lewis on a new deal and he will be back in 2013, but if not the Steelers will be looking to fill yet another hole.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/ar..._fast/13102105

OX1947
03-11-2013, 01:41 AM
So let me get this straight, Steelers are dropping their vets and not signing their young players who are in their prime? Who the (bleep) are they going to go with next year then? 3rd tier players, rookies and a couple of vets?

jb500ex
03-11-2013, 05:49 AM
So let me get this straight, Steelers are dropping their vets and not signing their young players who are in their prime? Who the (bleep) are they going to go with next year then? 3rd tier players, rookies and a couple of vets?

You don't just throw huge money at them. If Lewis is asking for 7+ is be worth it. We've handed out way to many huge contracts especially woodley and Timmons. So I don't blame them for Wallace and Lewis. They're not the difference between us winning or losing anyway

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
03-11-2013, 06:03 AM
If Lewis does leave we're still in great shape Cortez is the future, Ike still has 2 years left, Gay is a solid corner & we have Curtis Brown who I believe is going to step up this year(i know sounds crazy)

Lewis is not a "must" signing imo but it would be nice if he was back tho.

VaDave
03-11-2013, 06:16 AM

Pretty much.

But keep in mind, and this is for all the guys out there that feel that LeBeau sucks, Haley sucks, and Tomlin sucks. What you are about to see is even with fielding 3rd tier players, rookies and vets, this is going to be a competitive team. The question will be, when this happens, are these guys going to give the coaching staff any credit? Any bets?

Fire Haley
03-11-2013, 06:42 AM
The Steelers will have a tough decision to make in determining who to franchise-tag: Lewis or Mike Wallace.

Bleacher Report sucks - I could write better crap than those hicks spew out.

wwhickok
03-11-2013, 06:44 AM
Its Monday, unleaa something drastic happens, Lewis is leaving. Im not scurred. I like Allen.

steelfury02
03-11-2013, 07:26 AM
Let's keep the Asian racist slurs off this board please.

In all seriousness, I kind of agree with ya. We can dump him, maybe get a draft pick in a trade and see what Allen and Lewis can do. Well have a few painful years but decent draft picks to go along with them. With or without ike, if we cant fix this offense then we are gonna have a few shitty years anyways. May as well get young in all areas. Maybe in 3 years we can get one more honest run out of Ben and the team.

with all the change going on - I still don't see us going backwards - at worst, I see another 8-8 or 9-7 season this coming year - I think whoever is left from last year has that bad taste in their mouth, and might carry the team just enough to get back into the playoffs as a wildcard - anything can happen, especially with the Ravens possibly losing Ellerbe, Kruger, Reed and Boldin - that's 4 key starters - no one is saying that their pass rush is about to take a big hit too

By 2014 season though I expect them to seriously contend - they might even overachieve this coming season. It's kinda refreshing to be counted out - I'm hoping they can play with a nothing to lose attitude now that expectations are lowered

Millers the sh!t
03-11-2013, 08:09 AM
with all the change going on - I still don't see us going backwards - at worst, I see another 8-8 or 9-7 season this coming year - I think whoever is left from last year has that bad taste in their mouth, and might carry the team just enough to get back into the playoffs as a wildcard - anything can happen, especially with the Ravens possibly losing Ellerbe, Kruger, Reed and Boldin - that's 4 key starters - no one is saying that their pass rush is about to take a big hit too

By 2014 season though I expect them to seriously contend - they might even overachieve this coming season. It's kinda refreshing to be counted out - I'm hoping they can play with a nothing to lose attitude now that expectations are lowered

Agreed except for the 2014. I'd say our biggest weakness is our line. I guarantee another injury or two that will derail growth cohesion and consistency. I doubt we will fix out biggest weakness by 2014. But if we do then I'd say we'd def make the playoffs. Our linebackers that we pick up or develope or whatever effort we get from them will determine how far we go in the playoffs which I think will be a 2-3 year process forwarders and o line consistency...... But, What I meant by a few shitty years was Like last year. Finishing 8-8 just missing the playoffs. But having these vets and knowing that if certain people tried to their potential, or if a few pick sixes weren't thrown, or injuries didn't happen, or if every running back didn't fumble the ball twice in one game wed be in the playoffs. Stuff like that bothers me more than just having a legit bad season because of young players. Wasted talent and potential sickens me. Especially when you are getting paid millions every year.

Millers the sh!t
03-11-2013, 08:12 AM
I try not to think too far into the future. I'm just excited.for the draft and I hope McClendon and Allen can get more starting time. I'm high on these kids and I hope they excel. Also looking for decastro to have a full healthy season and see if this cat is the next faneca like people say.

VaDave
03-11-2013, 08:18 AM
Miller,

I assume you are talking about our DL, and if so, yep, it could be better. Hood is totally worthless against ZBS. I saw some one on one blocking on him where he almost got a seat on the bench.... seriously, he can't hold his ground and gets turned way too often. And this is the guy who's supposed to be one of the strongest guys on the team? Heyward isn't much better, and can't seem to get his hands free to reach out and tackle somebody running right by him.

In order for LeBeau's D to work, the DL has to keep the linebackers clean. They can't allow blocks at the second level on our ILBs. Frankly, the last couple of years this aspect has getting worse by the game.

Atlanta Dan
03-11-2013, 09:31 AM
Peter King predicts Keenan Lewis is going to get rich

This is King's ranking of Lewis as #8 of the top 50 free agents (King ranks Wallace at #5)

8. Keenan Lewis, CB, Pittsburgh

2012: 23 pass breakups, 1 forced fumble

Best fit: San Francisco

You'll have to overpay for the man who led the NFL in passes defensed last year.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130308/nfl-free-agency-top-50-free-agents-peter-king/index.html#all

And King follows up with this comment in his MMQB column this morning

Three under-the-radar guys generating more interest than you've heard: Steelers corner Keenan Lewis, Jets defensive end/tackle Mike DeVito, Chargers guard Louis Vasquez.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130311/peter-king-monday-morning-quarterback-free-agency-2013/index.html

Steelers guessed wrong on waiting to see how Lewis handled being a starter and not signing him prior to the 2012 season - that was the prudent move at the time but it has blown up on the front office

steelfury02
03-11-2013, 10:02 AM
I try not to think too far into the future. I'm just excited.for the draft and I hope McClendon and Allen can get more starting time. I'm high on these kids and I hope they excel. Also looking for decastro to have a full healthy season and see if this cat is the next faneca like people say.

I'm excited by McClendon, Allen, and Heyward - I think Heyward is a guy that just needs more game experience

Hood, he's kinda running out of time to solidify his position IMO - I def think he should be a little further along - and, that's not comparing him to Smith - one of the best ever to hold it down - that's not ever a fair comparison for anyone

Your comment about wasted potential is spot on - I can handle a young, inexperienced team losing - but, we all know about the attitude that permeated in the locker room and onto the field - playing down to your competition is one thing - most teams get up for the Steelers as well - that's not said enough - but,. to not pull out at least half of those games is worrisome - I think some of that mindset will be gone now though - I forsee Tomlin becoming a little bit more of a hard ass and getting after them in training camp this season

steelfury02
03-11-2013, 10:04 AM
Peter King predicts Keenan Lewis is going to get rich

This is King's ranking of Lewis as #8 of the top 50 free agents (King ranks Wallace at #5)

8. Keenan Lewis, CB, Pittsburgh

2012: 23 pass breakups, 1 forced fumble

Best fit: San Francisco

You'll have to overpay for the man who led the NFL in passes defensed last year.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130308/nfl-free-agency-top-50-free-agents-peter-king/index.html#all

And King follows up with this comment in his MMQB column this morning

Three under-the-radar guys generating more interest than you've heard: Steelers corner Keenan Lewis, Jets defensive end/tackle Mike DeVito, Chargers guard Louis Vasquez.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130311/peter-king-monday-morning-quarterback-free-agency-2013/index.html

Steelers guessed wrong on waiting to see how Lewis handled being a starter and not signing him prior to the 2012 season - that was the prudent move at the time but it has blown up on the front office

If they were waiting to get 1 more good season out of him before pulling the trigger to ensure it wasn't an anomaly - I can understand that, but - it sucks royally - I'm going to keep that faith that Carnell Lake will revitalize Gay, and, more importantly - help another not named yet rise up to compete in the next year or two

VaDave
03-11-2013, 10:13 AM
I can't argue about the season that Lewis had, considering the injuries ( his included), and the shifting around of personnel. That was a totally awesome effort on his part, and he deserves to be paid for it.

That said, Allen is going to be a better corner, if he isn't already.

kan_t
03-11-2013, 10:25 AM
Its Monday, unleaa something drastic happens, Lewis is leaving. Im not scurred. I like Allen.
I think Allen will be better. The problem is CB depth. They better draft a CB in late rounds this year. Gay should be strictly a nickelback/ No.4 CB.

Steel_Bus_24
03-11-2013, 10:32 AM
The problem is the depth. They better draft a CB in late rounds this year. Gay should be strictly a nickelback/ No.4 CB.

True.....Gay just doesn't have the size,speed, athleticism to hang with top speed or size guys

His last year here he got the mental side down and maxed out his potential IMO

If we have to rely on CBs like Gay again as any of the top 1-3.....then we're headed back to the days where we'll never beat Tom Brady and prolific spread offenses........in simpler words.....

Cushion Ball

VaDave
03-11-2013, 10:36 AM
Gay will do fine in the slot. Allen is going to be fine as the #2 until he's the # 1, and if he stays healthy, he will be our # 1 corner down the road.

Fire Haley
03-11-2013, 10:40 AM
Without a pass rush the secondary is going to get torched no matter who is playing.

It's all on you Ben - tell Mr Dink&Dunk to take a hike - we need 40pts every game, get crackin'

Steel_Bus_24
03-11-2013, 10:46 AM
Gay will do fine in the slot. Allen is going to be fine as the #2 until he's the # 1, and if he stays healthy, he will be our # 1 corner down the road.

Nope Sorry......In todays NFL you need your top 1-3 to be able to man up, unless your pass rush is insanely good

I will not feel good at all having Gay work the slot where the big receiving TE's Gronk/Hernandez/Pita/Dickson ect ect would eat him up

kan_t
03-11-2013, 11:56 AM
Gay is a decent nickelback but he's terrible as a No.2. As I said above the problem is that there is no depth if Lewis is gone. Taylor is not young anymore too. They have to draft a CB this year if Lewis is indeed leaving.

VaDave
03-11-2013, 11:59 AM
No need to quibble over depth at Corner. I hear you loud and clear.Curtis Brown needs some serious work. Same for DVD and Victorian.

Hawaii 5-0
03-11-2013, 01:39 PM
The Steelers Should Let Keenan Lewis Leave If He Wants And Is Offered #1 Cornerback Money

Mar 9th, 2013 at 8:30 pm by Dominic Di Tolla

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/58/files/2013/03/6720786.jpg

With Mike Wallace likely leaving for “greener” pastures as early as next Tuesday, starting Cornerback Keenan Lewis is essentially alone at the top of the Steelers’ list of “Must-Sign” UFA’s. During his first year as a starter, Lewis started 16 games, racked up 71 Tackles, and recorded an A.F.C.-leading 23 Passes Defended. After his effective audition, the Unrestricted Free Agent’s services are sure to be in high demand next week from Secondary-needy franchises around the League.

Although retaining Lewis is likely a top priority for the Steelers, I do not consider him to be the “Must-Sign At All Costs” UFA he is believed by many to be. Moreover, I still staunchly believe that Pittsburgh’s brass should exercise fiscal responsibility when they take part in negotiations to re-up their Free Agent Cornerback.

Recent Free Agent Contracts, and What Lewis Could Be Offered

Competent pass-defenders are always a welcome addition to any roster. Thus, if a Cornerback can show some sort of promise early in his career, he can become a very rich man if he tests Free Agent market during his mid-late 20′s.

Even though Lewis was the Pittsburgh’s #2 man behind Ike Taylor at the position, the starter’s Passes Defended numbers from last year and overall skill-set could entice some Secondary-starved teams with plenty of cap-space (Indianapolis, Tampa Bay, and Cleveland) to consider him as a high-priority pickup.

If a market grows for Lewis, some of these franchises might even be willing to shell out “#1 Money” for the Steelers’ #2 man at the position to out-bid others for his services.

So how much do #1 Cornerbacks make in this day and age? Well, these guys below became very rich men last Spring:

Cortland Finnegan (5 years: $50 million), 79 Career Starts, 14 Interceptions, 28 years of age when deal was signed.

Brandon Carr (5 years: $50.1 million), 64 Career Starts, 8 Interceptions, 6 Fumble Recoveries, 25 years old.

Lardarius Webb (5 years: $50 million + $10 million s.b.), 19 Starts, 7 Interceptions, 4 Forced Fumbles, 1 KOR TD, 1 PR TD, 26 years old

Eric Wright (5 years: $37.5 million), 71 Career Starts, 13 Interceptions, 26 years old.

How Much Lewis Should Be Offered

Look, I understand that the number of Passes Defended Lewis recorded last year were the most by any player in the A.F.C. last year. In addition, I will give Lewis credit for how much he improved in numerous areas of his game, especially in man-to-man coverage, from Week 1 to Week 17.

I however did not consider the soon to be 5th year player to be “lights out,” or Pittsburgh’s most effective Cornerback over the course of the entire 2012 campaign. I do not believe that a player possessing Lewis’ experience (45 Games, 17 Starts) and inconsistent ability to bring ball-carriers down (whiff against Philadelphia on 4th and Inches last year was awful) should be paid like a #1 guy at his position. I should also mention that Lewis was not even covering opponents’ #1 targets until Ike Taylor went down with his leg injury against Baltimore in Week 13! Thus, if the Steelers’ Free Agent Cornerback expects the already strapped Front Office to pay him “top-dollar” this month, I hope that Pittsburgh’s brass tells him to rethink that idea.

Sure, some fans might be wowed by the large number of PD’s Lewis recorded last year, and some believe that those numbers alone make him a #1 Cornerback. But consider the following fans:

A large reason why Keenan racked up those stats was because the opposition was more willing to test him than they were the crafty veteran like Ike on the other side of the field. Overall, Keenan was targeted a total of 112 times (2nd most in the League) during the 2012 season according to Pro Football Focus (ESPN.com)! Thus, shouldn’t any somewhat competent player at Lewis’ position be able to break up the most passes in the A.F.C. if he is targeted that many times over the course of a regular season?

I should also mention that the number “112″ also points to the biggest reasons why I believe that Lewis is such a potential “big-money” risk:

His deficient ball-skills, and his inability to record Interceptions and Turnovers.

As most of you know, although Lewis was targeted so often in 2012, he recorded ZERO Interceptions and only ONE Takeaway (1 Forced Fumble) over the course of the 2012 season! Let me state that again: 112 times the opposition threw passes Lewis’ way in 2012, and he was unable to record one single “pick!” Sure, Steeler Cornerbacks have never been known for recording Interceptions in LeBeau’s Defensive scheme. But “oh-for” in 112 chances for Interceptions, and only 1 Forced Fumble? Give me a break with that “#1 Cornerback” nonsense.

Look, I am fully aware that Interceptions are not the “be-all, end-all” indicator of great Cornerback play. And yes, I understand that “shut-down” guys at the position do not record large amounts of Interceptions. Yet the elite’s lack of “picks” deals less with their overall ball-skills and ability to make plays, and instead more with the fact that opposing Quarterbacks do not want to make a mistake in their direction.

One would think that Corners who earn $50 million over a contract are supposed to have “field-days” on the stat-sheet in terms of Interceptions collected or chances to make “splash plays” if they are targeted 112 times in a season like Lewis was in 2012. Although I am not an expert, I think that it is pretty safe to assume that none of those guys I mentioned above would have gone “oh-for” if they had 112 balls going their way over a 16 game stretch.

So how much do I believe that Lewis should be making per season? Well it certainly is not $10 million, that’s for sure. But Pittsburgh’s Front Office members might want to keep a couple of contracts signed by Cornerbacks last year in mind when they try to negotiate a deal with Lewis:

Aaron Ross (3 years: $15.3 million), 41 Career Starts, 10 Interceptions, 2 Touchdowns, 2 Super Bowl Rings, 29 years old

Richard Marshall (3 years: $16 million), 55 Career Starts, 17 Interceptions, 7.0 Sacks, 27 years old

The Marshall deal from last year has some numbers which G.M. Kevin Colbert and the rest of the Front Office should really keep in mind. Lewis, like Marshall, is a Starting Cornerback, but not a #1 guy on his own team. In addition, Lewis will also be 27 years of age by the time the 2013 regular season gets underway. By 27 though, Marshall was much more of a productive player than Lewis currently is, and had already logged 38 more starts at the professional level than the former Oregon State Beaver has under his belt in the present. Pittsburgh’s Cornerback might possess the upside to have a better career than Marshall, but his sample-size is so small that one must question how high his talent ceiling will inevitably be.

Thus, if the Steelers are looking to re-up Lewis, and he seriously wants t0 return, I believe that a contract in the $5-6 million dollar per year range over the duration of 4 to 5 years would be a great place to start for a #2 guy right now like him. If Pittsburgh’s Coaching Staff believes that he can and will usurp Ike as the #1 guy once he leaves, and can keep the depth behind him at bay too, then some incentive-based bonuses (for TAKEAWAYS) can be included for Lewis to earn.

As I alluded to in a previous post, a 4 year deal worth anything between $22 and $24 million would be more than fair for the Steelers to offer a player with Lewis’ upside. Yet I in no way shape or form believe that a current #2 Cornerback with only 17 career Starts, 1 career Interception, 2 career Forced Fumbles, 0 Postseason Starts, and hands reminiscent of “cinder-blocks” should receive anything more than that type of “fair” offer at this point in his career.

Final Thoughts

Look readers, I am completely and totally in favor of the Steelers re-signing Lewis. I simply cannot comprehend why Pittsburgh’s brass would want to “break the bank” for such a Cornerback of his caliber and with his lack of experience. If in fact any team offers Lewis more than $6 million per season, I hope that the Pittsburgh’s brass simply steps away and counts the money which they will inevitably allocate to other more important members on their roster (Maurkice Pouncey and Heath Miller come to mind).

I should also add that it is not like the Steelers have “chopped liver” set to take over for Lewis on the outside if he decides to leave. Cortez Allen is waiting in the wings if Lewis takes his game elsewhere, and the soon to be 3rd year Cornerback should be primed to improve off of a very productive year as Pittsburgh’s Nickelback in 2012. The former Citadel star not only set a career high in Tackles last year with 55, but he also finished with 10 PD’s, 2 Interceptions, 3 Forced Fumbles, and 1 Fumble Recovery.

Granted, if Lewis leaves the Steelers will have to rely on William Gay and youngsters like Curtis Brown, Josh Victorian, and DeMarcus Van Dyke to play with consistency, and pick up the slack in the Slot and sub-packages. By the same token though, Pittsburgh’s brass will be able to learn whether or not the younger guys have the potential to improve, and are indeed worthy of being in the franchise’s long-term rebuilding plans.

While some of you will complain about the inevitable “growing pains,” just remember that Lewis was not exactly setting the N.F.L. “on fire” early in his career (2010 Denver Preseason Disaster). It took him 3 full years before he showed any sort of competency as a starter, and I should add that it was during a “contract year” for him. Remember readers, Ike Taylor signed a deal worth $28 million over 4 years after he had started on 2 Super Bowl teams, and established himself as the team’s best Cornerback over the half decade preceding the 2011 deal. Has Lewis done anything like that over his 4 seasons at the professional level?

Current depth and concerns about Lewis aside, I actually would like nothing more than for the Steelers to re-sign their #2 Cornerback. I just hope that the members of the Steelers’ Front Office do not have to “make it rain” to keep him in Pittsburgh. A $30+ million dollar deal will simply not be worth the time, effort, and cap-space for a rebuilding franchise like the Steelers to take on at this juncture.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2013/03/09/the-steelers-should-let-keenan-lewis-walk-if-he-is-offered-1-cornerback-money/

VaDave
03-11-2013, 01:53 PM
Awesome article! Spot on.

TRH
03-11-2013, 01:58 PM
we've "broken the bank" one too many times over the last couple years (Ben, Timmons, Woodley, Troy, Harrison, Colon..) . We can't get ourselves right back in "salary hell" again.
I agree with much of the article - he was tested by people going right at him many times last year, thus the opportunites to bat balls way and such. No way he's worth BIG money. If he gets an offer, let him go.

pete74
03-11-2013, 01:59 PM
Awesome read. The writer is definitely right on everything he said

cowherpower
03-11-2013, 02:21 PM
The Steelers Should Let Keenan Lewis Leave If He Wants And Is Offered #1 Cornerback Money

Mar 9th, 2013 at 8:30 pm by Dominic Di Tolla

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/58/files/2013/03/6720786.jpg

With Mike Wallace likely leaving for “greener” pastures as early as next Tuesday, starting Cornerback Keenan Lewis is essentially alone at the top of the Steelers’ list of “Must-Sign” UFA’s. During his first year as a starter, Lewis started 16 games, racked up 71 Tackles, and recorded an A.F.C.-leading 23 Passes Defended. After his effective audition, the Unrestricted Free Agent’s services are sure to be in high demand next week from Secondary-needy franchises around the League.

Although retaining Lewis is likely a top priority for the Steelers, I do not consider him to be the “Must-Sign At All Costs” UFA he is believed by many to be. Moreover, I still staunchly believe that Pittsburgh’s brass should exercise fiscal responsibility when they take part in negotiations to re-up their Free Agent Cornerback.

Recent Free Agent Contracts, and What Lewis Could Be Offered

Competent pass-defenders are always a welcome addition to any roster. Thus, if a Cornerback can show some sort of promise early in his career, he can become a very rich man if he tests Free Agent market during his mid-late 20′s.

Even though Lewis was the Pittsburgh’s #2 man behind Ike Taylor at the position, the starter’s Passes Defended numbers from last year and overall skill-set could entice some Secondary-starved teams with plenty of cap-space (Indianapolis, Tampa Bay, and Cleveland) to consider him as a high-priority pickup.

If a market grows for Lewis, some of these franchises might even be willing to shell out “#1 Money” for the Steelers’ #2 man at the position to out-bid others for his services.

So how much do #1 Cornerbacks make in this day and age? Well, these guys below became very rich men last Spring:

Cortland Finnegan (5 years: $50 million), 79 Career Starts, 14 Interceptions, 28 years of age when deal was signed.

Brandon Carr (5 years: $50.1 million), 64 Career Starts, 8 Interceptions, 6 Fumble Recoveries, 25 years old.

Lardarius Webb (5 years: $50 million + $10 million s.b.), 19 Starts, 7 Interceptions, 4 Forced Fumbles, 1 KOR TD, 1 PR TD, 26 years old

Eric Wright (5 years: $37.5 million), 71 Career Starts, 13 Interceptions, 26 years old.

How Much Lewis Should Be Offered

Look, I understand that the number of Passes Defended Lewis recorded last year were the most by any player in the A.F.C. last year. In addition, I will give Lewis credit for how much he improved in numerous areas of his game, especially in man-to-man coverage, from Week 1 to Week 17.

I however did not consider the soon to be 5th year player to be “lights out,” or Pittsburgh’s most effective Cornerback over the course of the entire 2012 campaign. I do not believe that a player possessing Lewis’ experience (45 Games, 17 Starts) and inconsistent ability to bring ball-carriers down (whiff against Philadelphia on 4th and Inches last year was awful) should be paid like a #1 guy at his position. I should also mention that Lewis was not even covering opponents’ #1 targets until Ike Taylor went down with his leg injury against Baltimore in Week 13! Thus, if the Steelers’ Free Agent Cornerback expects the already strapped Front Office to pay him “top-dollar” this month, I hope that Pittsburgh’s brass tells him to rethink that idea.

Sure, some fans might be wowed by the large number of PD’s Lewis recorded last year, and some believe that those numbers alone make him a #1 Cornerback. But consider the following fans:

A large reason why Keenan racked up those stats was because the opposition was more willing to test him than they were the crafty veteran like Ike on the other side of the field. Overall, Keenan was targeted a total of 112 times (2nd most in the League) during the 2012 season according to Pro Football Focus (ESPN.com)! Thus, shouldn’t any somewhat competent player at Lewis’ position be able to break up the most passes in the A.F.C. if he is targeted that many times over the course of a regular season?

I should also mention that the number “112″ also points to the biggest reasons why I believe that Lewis is such a potential “big-money” risk:

His deficient ball-skills, and his inability to record Interceptions and Turnovers.

As most of you know, although Lewis was targeted so often in 2012, he recorded ZERO Interceptions and only ONE Takeaway (1 Forced Fumble) over the course of the 2012 season! Let me state that again: 112 times the opposition threw passes Lewis’ way in 2012, and he was unable to record one single “pick!” Sure, Steeler Cornerbacks have never been known for recording Interceptions in LeBeau’s Defensive scheme. But “oh-for” in 112 chances for Interceptions, and only 1 Forced Fumble? Give me a break with that “#1 Cornerback” nonsense.

Look, I am fully aware that Interceptions are not the “be-all, end-all” indicator of great Cornerback play. And yes, I understand that “shut-down” guys at the position do not record large amounts of Interceptions. Yet the elite’s lack of “picks” deals less with their overall ball-skills and ability to make plays, and instead more with the fact that opposing Quarterbacks do not want to make a mistake in their direction.

One would think that Corners who earn $50 million over a contract are supposed to have “field-days” on the stat-sheet in terms of Interceptions collected or chances to make “splash plays” if they are targeted 112 times in a season like Lewis was in 2012. Although I am not an expert, I think that it is pretty safe to assume that none of those guys I mentioned above would have gone “oh-for” if they had 112 balls going their way over a 16 game stretch.

So how much do I believe that Lewis should be making per season? Well it certainly is not $10 million, that’s for sure. But Pittsburgh’s Front Office members might want to keep a couple of contracts signed by Cornerbacks last year in mind when they try to negotiate a deal with Lewis:

Aaron Ross (3 years: $15.3 million), 41 Career Starts, 10 Interceptions, 2 Touchdowns, 2 Super Bowl Rings, 29 years old

Richard Marshall (3 years: $16 million), 55 Career Starts, 17 Interceptions, 7.0 Sacks, 27 years old

The Marshall deal from last year has some numbers which G.M. Kevin Colbert and the rest of the Front Office should really keep in mind. Lewis, like Marshall, is a Starting Cornerback, but not a #1 guy on his own team. In addition, Lewis will also be 27 years of age by the time the 2013 regular season gets underway. By 27 though, Marshall was much more of a productive player than Lewis currently is, and had already logged 38 more starts at the professional level than the former Oregon State Beaver has under his belt in the present. Pittsburgh’s Cornerback might possess the upside to have a better career than Marshall, but his sample-size is so small that one must question how high his talent ceiling will inevitably be.

Thus, if the Steelers are looking to re-up Lewis, and he seriously wants t0 return, I believe that a contract in the $5-6 million dollar per year range over the duration of 4 to 5 years would be a great place to start for a #2 guy right now like him. If Pittsburgh’s Coaching Staff believes that he can and will usurp Ike as the #1 guy once he leaves, and can keep the depth behind him at bay too, then some incentive-based bonuses (for TAKEAWAYS) can be included for Lewis to earn.

As I alluded to in a previous post, a 4 year deal worth anything between $22 and $24 million would be more than fair for the Steelers to offer a player with Lewis’ upside. Yet I in no way shape or form believe that a current #2 Cornerback with only 17 career Starts, 1 career Interception, 2 career Forced Fumbles, 0 Postseason Starts, and hands reminiscent of “cinder-blocks” should receive anything more than that type of “fair” offer at this point in his career.

Final Thoughts

Look readers, I am completely and totally in favor of the Steelers re-signing Lewis. I simply cannot comprehend why Pittsburgh’s brass would want to “break the bank” for such a Cornerback of his caliber and with his lack of experience. If in fact any team offers Lewis more than $6 million per season, I hope that the Pittsburgh’s brass simply steps away and counts the money which they will inevitably allocate to other more important members on their roster (Maurkice Pouncey and Heath Miller come to mind).

I should also add that it is not like the Steelers have “chopped liver” set to take over for Lewis on the outside if he decides to leave. Cortez Allen is waiting in the wings if Lewis takes his game elsewhere, and the soon to be 3rd year Cornerback should be primed to improve off of a very productive year as Pittsburgh’s Nickelback in 2012. The former Citadel star not only set a career high in Tackles last year with 55, but he also finished with 10 PD’s, 2 Interceptions, 3 Forced Fumbles, and 1 Fumble Recovery.

Granted, if Lewis leaves the Steelers will have to rely on William Gay and youngsters like Curtis Brown, Josh Victorian, and DeMarcus Van Dyke to play with consistency, and pick up the slack in the Slot and sub-packages. By the same token though, Pittsburgh’s brass will be able to learn whether or not the younger guys have the potential to improve, and are indeed worthy of being in the franchise’s long-term rebuilding plans.

While some of you will complain about the inevitable “growing pains,” just remember that Lewis was not exactly setting the N.F.L. “on fire” early in his career (2010 Denver Preseason Disaster). It took him 3 full years before he showed any sort of competency as a starter, and I should add that it was during a “contract year” for him. Remember readers, Ike Taylor signed a deal worth $28 million over 4 years after he had started on 2 Super Bowl teams, and established himself as the team’s best Cornerback over the half decade preceding the 2011 deal. Has Lewis done anything like that over his 4 seasons at the professional level?

Current depth and concerns about Lewis aside, I actually would like nothing more than for the Steelers to re-sign their #2 Cornerback. I just hope that the members of the Steelers’ Front Office do not have to “make it rain” to keep him in Pittsburgh. A $30+ million dollar deal will simply not be worth the time, effort, and cap-space for a rebuilding franchise like the Steelers to take on at this juncture.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2013/03/09/the-steelers-should-let-keenan-lewis-walk-if-he-is-offered-1-cornerback-money/

Nice! I have been saying these very things about Lewis for awhile. Good to see some sense out there. Still like to see him back as a #2 with Allen at #1 but that can't happen with Ike still here and Lewis will want his big contract. I think he will easily be replaced via the draft.

pczach
03-11-2013, 04:03 PM
Let's hope the Steelers make a reasonable offer, and Lewis is reasonable enough to understand that he could make a lot of money and win a lot of games right where he is. Not every place that offers him a few more bucks has the atmosphere, the tradition, the Lombardies, and the ability to add more and become a real hero in a great sports town. I think the article is spot on, and that he hasn't proven he could be a #1 corner yet. In a few years here, he could be The Man if he performs.

EbonySteel86
03-11-2013, 04:58 PM
Sign this MAN!!!

austinfrench76
03-11-2013, 07:02 PM
Lewis has to be the #1 priority right now unless the FO thinks that Curtis Brown is ready to play an extended period of time. Because Allen moves to #2 which leaves Gay and Brown to fight it out for nickel and dime duty. I know we have DVD and Victorian but we would be stretching to play them on anything but special teams.