PDA

View Full Version : Wide Receivers in the 2013 Draft; if the Steelers select a WR, it will be?

Steel95
03-03-2013, 12:40 PM
We all know Mike Wallace is gone; what is the main attribute Wallace had as a WR? His speed; the guy is lightning fast. But if you take a long look at this years WR crop, the Steelers should be able to find a Blazing WR in the 2nd round. If they want to replace speed with speed, I don't think they will be able to wait too long after the second round.

If Patterson or Keenan Allen is still there, I think they will be tempted to take either one of them. Not only can these two guys run fast, they can actually catch the ball. Allen is more of a precise route runner than Patterson though. Keenan Allen out of all the WR's in the 2013 draft, he seems to fit Haley's offense best. This guy is huge; he isn't afraid to run accross the middle, he is physical, and is known for accumalting yards after the catch.

Take a look at the results from the 2013 NFL Combine for receivers, listed below are the top ten WR's with a 4.2 - 4.45 (40 time):

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013-nfl-combine-results-wide-receivers/

Marquise Goodwin, TX, 4.27
Tavon Austin, WV, 4.34
Ryan Swope, Texas AM, 4.34
Josh Boyce, Texas Christian, 4.38
Kenny Still, OKL, 4.38
Cordarrelle Patterson, Tenn, 4.42
Corey Fuller, Virginia Tech, 4.43
Denard Robinson, Michigan, 4.43
Justin Hunter, Tenn, 4.44
Markus Wheaton, Oregon ST, 4.45

Keenan Allen from California didn't run, will do so at his pro day. I think the Steelers are looking hard at Kenny Still, Cordarrelle Patterson, Justin Hunter, Keenan Allen, and Robert Woods. Woods is out of USC, ran a 40 in 4.51. But his time is deceiving, this kid is good. He might still be there in the 3rd, I doubt it if he will last until the Steelers pick though.

Who would you select?

PhantomJB93
03-03-2013, 02:01 PM
I'm big on Justin Hunter in the second, no chance Patterson or Allen will be there though. I doubt they go with Woods, he really disappointed and seems somewhat of a "diva." I'm a Virginia Tech homer but Corey Fuller is a nice late round sleeper, he has really good size and speed (6'2 and ran a sub 4.45) and only really got to play one year, but he was our most consistent receiver by far. He could be another 5th-6th round Antonio Brown.

kan_t
03-03-2013, 02:04 PM
I wouldn't pick WR in the first and I prefer Justin Hunter in second round, if he's still there. If he's not, I have no idea who the Steelers should pick. There are so many needs the Steelers need to fill so I would go BPA approach.

AgentGold007
03-03-2013, 02:36 PM
I agree with Justin Hunter.

SteelersCanada
03-03-2013, 03:31 PM
Rodney Smith.

tmacsteelerfan
03-03-2013, 03:37 PM
I see us selecting Patterson or Allen if they drop to us, seeing that other big names like Dion Jordan, Chance Warmack, or Ziggy Ansah are off the board. Those 5, perhaps with Jonathon Cooper are the BPA options that I definitely don't see the Steelers passing on. With that said I see a lot of names in the second or third at WR such as Robert Woods, Da'rick Rodgers, and Stedman Bailey who I think would make great fits with the Steelers.
But an option I've been thinking of for a while now, and finally saw in a mock draft is the Steelers perhaps selecting Tavon Austin in the first, then adding another receiver with size in a later round. I know it would be a bold move to risk two picks in the same draft at WR when have so many other positional needs, but this would result in an instant boost on offense and ST. I bet our QB will greatly appreciate a move like that too. Plus that means we won't have to worry about how to cover him when he's playing for the Ravens, Patriots, or Texans because we passed on him.

fer522
03-03-2013, 03:45 PM
We don't need a WR as much as we need OLB,ILB,,CB(if we lose Lewis),SS, and FS. If I was to pick a WR I would do so in the later rounds :noidea:

VaDave
03-03-2013, 04:48 PM
As much as I would love to sign a WR, we have a major depth issue on the OL. Starks and Foster are going to get starting pay offers during FA that will be higher than the Steeler will for them to be back-ups. Colon, is an injury risk, not to mention, a likely cap causality. That leaves us with Legurski and Malecki for depth. seeing that we have yet to get a full year out of any of the remaining linemen, except Beachum.

The next highest priority we have is an immovable DT/NG. Hood ain't makin' it, and neither is Woods. Ta'mau more than likely will be playing at State Pen for a while, and talent wise the jury was still out on him anyway. Big Snack, did more last year than what could reasonably be expected of him at this point in his career. I wouldn't expect him to be that productive going forward, assuming he is made an offer to come back..

The next priority is at LB, both ILB, and OLB. Oh, we got a boatload of them al right, but none of them could be considered a show stopper, unless Woodley actually shows up in shape, and by some act of God, Harrison's services are retained.

One thing about drafting defenders... with the Steelers, they sit, and or play special team for a year or so. SO hence, I love that Cooper pick......

Steelers5895
03-03-2013, 07:20 PM
Here are my picks in order:

Mike Ocksbig
Al Caholic
Hal Jalikeakick
Pepe Roni
Stu Pit
Sid Down
Stan Dup
Al Kickyurass

all have 4.4 speed or better

harrison'samonster
03-03-2013, 07:22 PM
Here are my picks in order:

Mike Ocksbig
Al Caholic
Hal Jalikeakick
Pepe Roni
Stu Pit
Sid Down
Stan Dup
Al Kickyurass

all have 4.4 speed or better

didn't see any of them at the combine, what school did they go to? Got to say I love their speed, but can they catch is the question.

Wallace17
03-03-2013, 08:52 PM
Robert Woods I bet they take patterson if jones or ansah are not there.

SteelersCanada
03-03-2013, 08:55 PM
Robert Woods I bet they take patterson if jones or ansah are not there.

We don't have to worry about that because Patterson isn't going to be there, either. It's looking like Jones will be though.

lipps83
03-03-2013, 09:54 PM
You guys know we are going to draft Denard Robinson, right? It wouldn't be Steelers-like to not draft an available 'slash' player.

White_Steel_Wolfe
03-03-2013, 10:30 PM
WR is unimportant right now. Wouldn't waste a high pick on one.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
03-03-2013, 10:50 PM
WR is unimportant right now. Wouldn't waste a high pick on one.

Brown- not a true #1
Sanders- cant stay healthy & better fit as a slot receiver
Cotchery- slot receiver also
Maybe Plaxico- old and only a red zone threat

WR is kinda a big need tbh and we should draft one on day 2 of the draft(I hope)

PhantomJB93
03-04-2013, 12:20 AM
You guys know we are going to draft Denard Robinson, right? It wouldn't be Steelers-like to not draft an available 'slash' player.

I hadn't given it much thought but I wouldn't mind drafting Denard late. Not as our only receiver or backup QB in the draft though. Could make for some nice trick plays and could be an emergency quarterback.

SteelersCanada
03-04-2013, 12:38 AM
I hadn't given it much thought but I wouldn't mind drafting Denard late. Not as our only receiver or backup QB in the draft though. Could make for some nice trick plays and could be an emergency quarterback.

Kind of like a much more talented Randle El.

tony hipchest
03-04-2013, 12:59 AM
peaople realize we havent run that trick play stuff since cowher/mularkey/wisenhut, right?

i remember when dennis dixon was gonna run our "wildcat" package as well....

kan_t
03-04-2013, 01:04 AM
Brown- not a true #1
Sanders- cant stay healthy & better fit as a slot receiver
Cotchery- slot receiver also
Maybe Plaxico- old and only a red zone threat

WR is kinda a big need tbh and we should draft one on day 2 of the draft(I hope)
The good thing about having an elite QB on your team is that you don't really have to have a No.1 WR to compete. In 2008 the Steelers didn't really have a No.1 WR and I think they did alright. :wink02:

Justp94
03-04-2013, 01:55 PM
We all know Mike Wallace is gone; what is the main attribute Wallace had as a WR? His speed; the guy is lightning fast. But if you take a long look at this years WR crop, the Steelers should be able to find a Blazing WR in the 2nd round. If they want to replace speed with speed, I don't think they will be able to wait too long after the second round.

If Patterson or Keenan Allen is still there, I think they will be tempted to take either one of them. Not only can these two guys run fast, they can actually catch the ball. Allen is more of a precise route runner than Patterson though. Keenan Allen out of all the WR's in the 2013 draft, he seems to fit Haley's offense best. This guy is huge; he isn't afraid to run accross the middle, he is physical, and is known for accumalting yards after the catch.

Take a look at the results from the 2013 NFL Combine for receivers, listed below are the top ten WR's with a 4.2 - 4.45 (40 time):

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013-nfl-combine-results-wide-receivers/

Marquise Goodwin, TX, 4.27
Tavon Austin, WV, 4.34
Ryan Swope, Texas AM, 4.34
Josh Boyce, Texas Christian, 4.38
Kenny Still, OKL, 4.38
Cordarrelle Patterson, Tenn, 4.42
Corey Fuller, Virginia Tech, 4.43
Denard Robinson, Michigan, 4.43
Justin Hunter, Tenn, 4.44
Markus Wheaton, Oregon ST, 4.45

Keenan Allen from California didn't run, will do so at his pro day. I think the Steelers are looking hard at Kenny Still, Cordarrelle Patterson, Justin Hunter, Keenan Allen, and Robert Woods. Woods is out of USC, ran a 40 in 4.51. But his time is deceiving, this kid is good. He might still be there in the 3rd, I doubt it if he will last until the Steelers pick though.

Who would you select?

Da'Rick Rogers in the 3rd round. He's a 1st round talent who's had character and drug issues in the past, but has worked on his character and hasn't had drug issues in over a year. He's worth the risk.

PhantomJB93
03-04-2013, 01:57 PM
peaople realize we havent run that trick play stuff since cowher/mularkey/wisenhut, right?

i remember when dennis dixon was gonna run our "wildcat" package as well....

We ran WR passes more than a couple times last year if I recall...they just never worked.

teegre
03-04-2013, 04:33 PM
Tavon Austin

I know that he's short, but he can score from ANYWHERE.

I think that the kid is to the WR position what Darren Sproles is to the RB position. I foresee Tavon averaging 2100 all-purpose yards & 9 TDs per season.

I know that I have advocated for a tall WR to help in the red-zone, but with Tavon, one can hand it off (reverse) or throw a short pass (screen)... and then watch Tavon juke his way into the end-zone. Likewise, in the open field, he is dynamic.

Deductively thinking: while Elam (or Vaccaro) are more of a need, a really good (albeit not elite) safety can be found in R2 (or even R4). Whereas, there is only one Tavon... and, there hasn't been anyone like Tavon in a few years. If he were 5'11, he'd be a top-five pick (he's that good).

Simply, he has the speed of Wallace & the moves of Barry Sanders.

So, Yes, I'd take him.

Two years ago, against LSU, Claiborne, Reid, & Mathieu were talking trash to Austin... and he still got over on them.

And then there was the Oklahoma game: 572 total yards (344 rushing yards).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxzPryPMB74

Hawaii 5-0
03-04-2013, 05:59 PM
Tavon Austin

and the good news with drafting Tavon Austin is that we could trade down and still get him and pick up some extra draft choices also...

Bane
03-04-2013, 06:41 PM
That video alone almost has me sold on him.

pczach
03-04-2013, 06:49 PM
There's no doubt the kid is dynamic with the ball in his hands. A great playmaker.

teegre
03-04-2013, 10:06 PM
and the good news with drafting Tavon Austin is that we could trade down and still get him and pick up some extra draft choices also...

I don't think that he'll last much longer than 17. Chicago at 20 seems like a good fit (although, the more than likely will go O-line).

Speaking of O-line, maybe Chicago trades up to 17, in order to get ahead of Dallas & the NYGiants, so as to snag Cooper or Warmack (whichever one gets past St. Louis at 16).

In other words...

Trade back to 20. Pick up an extra R3 pick. Draft Tavon. Then, use that newly acquired pick (plus a R5 pick) in order to move up to 36 (right in front of Cincinnati) & draft Matt Elam.

Jackpot!!!

teegre
03-04-2013, 10:14 PM
That video alone almost has me sold on him.

I know huh.

I knew that he could play in the NFL (i.e. my doubts about his size being a factor were washed away) when he played against that LOADED secondary of LSU's.

Not only were they an amazing secondary, they were calling him out, taunting him, and targeting him... and yet, he STILL had a great game.

NOTE to everyone: don't just look at the stats, which are respectable (11 for 187); watch the game tape. They could NOT cover him. And "they" were: the #5 overall pick in the 2012 draft; a R2 safety in this draft; and a Heisman candidate.

Again, Austin will be fine in the NFL.

austinfrench76
03-04-2013, 10:37 PM
I think youn have to go Saftey or OLB in Round 1. That elminates some of those guys but Swope on Round 3 would be awesome! I wouldn't hate Woods in Round 2 either though.

pczach
03-05-2013, 05:54 AM
I don't think that he'll last much longer than 17. Chicago at 20 seems like a good fit (although, the more than likely will go O-line).

Speaking of O-line, maybe Chicago trades up to 17, in order to get ahead of Dallas & the NYGiants, so as to snag Cooper or Warmack (whichever one gets past St. Louis at 16).

In other words...

Trade back to 20. Pick up an extra R3 pick. Draft Tavon. Then, use that newly acquired pick (plus a R5 pick) in order to move up to 36 (right in front of Cincinnati) & draft Matt Elam.

Jackpot!!!

That's why we keep you around here. You're always thinking!:applaudit:

pczach
03-05-2013, 05:59 AM
I know huh.

I knew that he could play in the NFL (i.e. my doubts about his size being a factor were washed away) when he played against that LOADED secondary of LSU's.

Not only were they an amazing secondary, they were calling him out, taunting him, and targeting him... and yet, he STILL had a great game.

NOTE to everyone: don't just look at the stats, which are respectable (11 for 187); watch the game tape. They could NOT cover him. And "they" were: the #5 overall pick in the 2012 draft; a R2 safety in this draft; and a Heisman candidate.

Again, Austin will be fine in the NFL.

I remember watching Torry Holt when he was at NC St. I watched his game against Florida St., which had NFL guys all over the field. They couldn't cover him, no matter what they did. He turned out alright! I know Austin is a little smaller, but the kid can ball, no question about it.

teegre
03-05-2013, 08:32 AM
That's why we keep you around here. You're always thinking!:applaudit:

:hatsoff:

VaDave
03-05-2013, 08:41 AM
Uh, wasn't that what we thought we were getting with Chris Rainey?? Wow!!

Seriously, serious moves no doubt. Got any tape with him on grass?

teegre
03-05-2013, 08:47 AM
Uh, wasn't that what we thought we were getting with Chris Rainey?? Wow!!

Seriously, serious moves no doubt. Got any tape with him on grass?

Oh... no. Rainey was nowhere nearly as dynamic as Austin.

People may have "hoped" that this is what Rainey could have possibly been... but, Austin IS what people want him to be.

VaDave
03-05-2013, 08:50 AM
T,

I realize that. It was a joke, but you clarified what I meant to say nicely.

VaDave
03-05-2013, 08:52 AM
BTW, he's not going to make those kind of moves on the field at Heinz....... just saying.

teegre
03-05-2013, 08:52 AM
:tt03:T,

I realize that. It was a joke, but you clarified what I meant to say nicely.

My bad. (When reading the type-written word, I sometimes "miss" things.) :wink02:

teegre
03-05-2013, 08:54 AM
BTW, he's not going to make those kind of moves on the field at Heinz....... just saying.

No one can on that sandlot. But, if anyone could, it'd be Tavon.

Steel95
03-05-2013, 07:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE6GXID2dXk

Check out Justin Hunter; I really like this kid.

wwhickok
03-06-2013, 07:42 AM
On your whole list...i like just 2 names. Patterson and Hunter, both Tennessee WRs. Something to keep in mind about thembis that they also play against elite competition in the SEC. Frankly I couod see Patteraon going #8 overall to Buffalo. If Hunter makes it to us in the 2nd round, he will be taken. As for the rest, theyll compete with Sanders for the #3 job. There is very few WRs in this draft that are capable of being our #1lives WR. Austin, while very fast is not one of them either.

Steel_Bus_24
03-06-2013, 08:02 AM
Id love it if we could find a way to get Stedman Bailey in the 3rd.....wouldn't have to worry too much about him not attacking the ball

aOnISzeG2Ao

Wallabeast17
03-06-2013, 09:33 AM
Id love it if we could find a way to get Stedman Bailey in the 3rd.....wouldn't have to worry too much about him not attacking the ball

aOnISzeG2Ao

I would love to get him in the third. I believe Antonio Brown posted on his twitter about wanting the steelers to draft this kid

Fire Haley
03-06-2013, 11:08 AM
Tavon Austin

but he's a smurf - we already have two smurfs, #84 and #88

we need a TALL fast WR, that can catch

SteelersCanada
03-06-2013, 11:21 AM

Rodney Smith.

6'5 225 and ran a 4.5 at the combine. I didn't see him drop a ball all day.

Fire Haley
03-06-2013, 11:35 AM
Rodney Smith.

6'5 225 and ran a 4.5 at the combine. I didn't see him drop a ball all day.

OK - but, projected 6th rd pick

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=89787&draftyear=2013&genpos=WR

SteelersCanada
03-06-2013, 11:51 AM
OK - but, projected 6th rd pick

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=89787&draftyear=2013&genpos=WR

He has flaws and technical issues but the best thing about that is they're fixable mistakes.

teegre
03-06-2013, 03:02 PM

I hear you. I have iterated that the offense sputtered in the red-zone, because those shifty little WRs could not use their elusiveness in the shortened field.

BUT... Austin is amazing... and a perfect fit for Haley's offense.

I propose: Austin... and then a TE.

Think about how many times Heath was the main target in the red-zone. Draft Gavin Escobar in R3 (or better yet, in R4), and here is your "five wide" in the red-zone:

84 & 88 lined up out wide.
83 & Escobar lined up as TEs.
Austin lined up as the RB... who can split out, and cause havoc for the defense!!!

wwhickok
03-07-2013, 07:47 AM
Does anyone think that if Hunter made it to the 2nd round, the Steelers would attempt to trade up for him or do you feel the position is just to deep to warrant it? I'm sort of torn on this idea.

teegre
03-07-2013, 08:36 AM
Does anyone think that if Hunter made it to the 2nd round, the Steelers would attempt to trade up for him or do you feel the position is just to deep to warrant it? I'm sort of torn on this idea.

Colbert has stated, on numerous occasions, that WRs can be found in R3 & later. Likewise, Colin Cowherd was talking about how every kid wants to be a WR, and thus, the position is deep with talent... and you can find a starter in the later rounds (he cited Victor Cruz and AB). Lastly, this year, there are a bunch of R3 (& later) WRs who are pretty good: Ryan Swope, Cobi Hamilton, Steadman Bailey, Aaron Dobson, Marcus Wheaton...

So, no.

bornaSteelersfan
03-07-2013, 08:55 PM
In the first round of the draft, you should get a player to start on day 1 of the season. As it is right now, we do not need a Safety on day 1. We also do not need an OL, DL, NT, or ILB. The 4 positions we might need on day 1 is RB, WR, TE, and OLB (if we don't sign Harrison). There is no RB worthy of rd 1 so forget that. The only TE worth drafting at 17 is Eifert. The best possible OLB that fits what The Steelers need is Dion Jordan, but he will be long gone by then (Ansah=to raw; Jones w/health ?'s; Mingo=too small and weak). That leaves WR. If Tavon Austin drops to us, we would be foolish not to take him. He will certainly be gone shortly after our pick if not. The fact that he can be a huge threat on returns is the biggest reason for him.

Bane
03-07-2013, 09:09 PM
In the first round of the draft, you should get a player to start on day 1 of the season. As it is right now, we do not need a Safety on day 1. We also do not need an OL, DL, NT, or ILB. The 4 positions we might need on day 1 is RB, WR, TE, and OLB (if we don't sign Harrison). There is no RB worthy of rd 1 so forget that. The only TE worth drafting at 17 is Eifert. The best possible OLB that fits what The Steelers need is Dion Jordan, but he will be long gone by then (Ansah=to raw; Jones w/health ?'s; Mingo=too small and weak). That leaves WR. If Tavon Austin drops to us, we would be foolish not to take him. He will certainly be gone shortly after our pick if not. The fact that he can be a huge threat on returns is the biggest reason for him.

I agree with drafting a RB, WR, OLB (if Harrison does indeed leave) in the first round as a day-one starter, but not a TE. Heath may be back, but even if he's not, the depth there can hold it down until he returns.

That said, I would add OG and ILB to that list (if Foote leaves), as I don't have great confidence in our LG, and we don't know what we'll get out of Sean Spence at ILB.

bornaSteelersfan
03-07-2013, 09:18 PM
I agree with drafting a RB, WR, OLB (if Harrison does indeed leave) in the first round as a day-one starter, but not a TE. Heath may be back, but even if he's not, the depth there can hold it down until he returns.

That said, I would add OG and ILB to that list (if Foote leaves), as I don't have great confidence in our LG, and we don't know what we'll get out of Sean Spence at ILB.

I can agree with you a bit on that as well, Bane. However, let's look at "the best player available" scenario again. The best OG at pick 17 is Warmack who will surely be long gone before then. The best ILB ability-wise is Ogletree who has too many off-field issues. A guy like Eifert gives Ben the big guy with decent speed to hit in the red zone immediately. A guy like Austin may cause us to forget both Rainey and Wallace immediately.

Bane
03-07-2013, 09:25 PM
I can agree with you a bit on that as well, Bane. However, let's look at "the best player available" scenario again. The best OG at pick 17 is Warmack who will surely be long gone before then. The best ILB ability-wise is Ogletree who has too many off-field issues. A guy like Eifert gives Ben the big guy with decent speed to hit in the red zone immediately. A guy like Austin may cause us to forget both Rainey and Wallace immediately.

Most certainly true, on all accounts. I would rather Austin over Eifert if they're both on the board at seventeen (or if we trade back), but I think Warmack has a chance to fall, and if Warmack isn't there, then I think Jonathan Cooper may be.

I'm not huge on Ogletree either, largely because of his off-the-field problems. However, the BPA situation does change things, as you stated. I don't think any ILB will be the best available, and the needs at positions other than TE will keep guys like Austin or another OLB above Eifert. Not saying I'd be disappointed with Eifert, just in that I feel we could get someone better suited for us at seventeen.

bornaSteelersfan
03-07-2013, 09:35 PM
Most certainly true, on all accounts. I would rather Austin over Eifert if they're both on the board at seventeen (or if we trade back), but I think Warmack has a chance to fall, and if Warmack isn't there, then I think Jonathan Cooper may be.

I'm not huge on Ogletree either, largely because of his off-the-field problems. However, the BPA situation does change things, as you stated. I don't think any ILB will be the best available, and the needs at positions other than TE will keep guys like Austin or another OLB above Eifert. Not saying I'd be disappointed with Eifert, just in that I feel we could get someone better suited for us at seventeen.

Once again, I agree Eifert could be a late rd 1 pick so we could still possibly get someone like Ertz in the second round. A lot of people project us to take Vaccaro in the first round and that may happen as well. However, our immediate need for an entire season is not at that position.

With Wallace leaving, we will certainly need someone to fill the void. We already need someone to fill the void of Rainey. Tavon Austin fits both needs.

Bane
03-07-2013, 09:43 PM
I would be 100% okay with Tavon Austin, as long as we get a tall guy on board as well. Whether that means keeping Plax, or signing a cheap guy who's super tall, I don't care, lol. Just as long as we get someone.

SteelersCanada
03-07-2013, 09:59 PM
Once again, I agree Eifert could be a late rd 1 pick so we could still possibly get someone like Ertz in the second round. A lot of people project us to take Vaccaro in the first round and that may happen as well. However, our immediate need for an entire season is not at that position

While I agree with your post in the general sense, there's two things you have to keep in mind: Ertz probably gets drafted before Eifert and, if Harrison gets released, we're going OLB in the first round regardless of whether or not Vaccaro is on the board. OLB is not a position we can gamble with and with the depth at Safety in this draft, can be addressed in the second and fourth rounds.

teegre
03-07-2013, 09:59 PM

As you alluded to in a later post: Austin fills THREE holes.

1. Rainey/3rd down RB.
2. Wallace's speed/deep threat.
3. AB's return ability (now that AB is a starter).

I've mentione dit numerous times: he'll have 2,100 yards of all-purpose yards.

bornaSteelersfan
03-07-2013, 10:11 PM
As you alluded to in a later post: Austin fills THREE holes.

1. Rainey/3rd down RB.
2. Wallace's speed/deep threat.
3. AB's return ability (now that AB is a starter).

I've mentione dit numerous times: he'll have 2,100 yards of all-purpose yards.

Rainey was also our main KO return guy last year. Tavon Austin could do ALL kick returns in his first year before he even knows the offensive playbook..

bornaSteelersfan
03-07-2013, 10:13 PM
While I agree with your post in the general sense, there's two things you have to keep in mind: Ertz probably gets drafted before Eifert and, if Harrison gets released, we're going OLB in the first round regardless of whether or not Vaccaro is on the board. OLB is not a position we can gamble with and with the depth at Safety in this draft, can be addressed in the second and fourth rounds.

I really do not believe that The Steelers will ever draft to fill a single need. BPA is always their way and if Dion Jordan isn't available, there will certainly be better players in other positions available.

SteelersCanada
03-07-2013, 10:45 PM
I really do not believe that The Steelers will ever draft to fill a single need. BPA is always their way and if Dion Jordan isn't available, there will certainly be better players in other positions available.

A pass rusher is going to fall to us at 17 and in all likelihood, he'll be the best player available. It's just a bonus that the BPA fills a need.

WokeUpWithaWoodley
03-08-2013, 09:06 AM
Even if Harrison leaves and we draft a olb round 1 I just can't see that player making a impact right away for a couple reasons.

How often does defensive players play right away for dick, not very often takes awhile to learn the defense. And I believe worlids will be given the chance to start before the draft pick, he knows the defense and showed some promise last year ( he's fully healthy now )

The only positions where I can see a impact from week one would be running back, wide receiver, oline, and tight end( due to injury to miller ) Anything else will take a back seat and either start mid way through the season or next year.

casteeler
03-08-2013, 11:24 AM
I honestly don't see the need for drafting a WR now a TE is needed to fill in for Heath and help with the dink and dunk offense