PDA

View Full Version : Tavon Austin... Electric

Steel Glory
03-03-2013, 10:00 PM
This kid is the most exciting player I have ever seen in my life. I got to see him a lot watching West Virginia football, but most of the highlight videos I had seen didn't show how he can supremely cut and how much a threat he really is. This is the best one I have ever seen. The announcers even call him Houdini at one point. He is ankle-breaking and electrifying. Keep in mind this is just his senior year. Sometimes I still just watch him play and think how ridiculous he is... I mean seriously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3_UNFZHSQU

I remember watching the play live that happens at 6:30 and just thinking how the hell did he do that.

Anybody have twitter??? This kid trains with Tom Shaw down in Florida and I would love to see if someone could ask Ike what he thinks of the kid. I mean he has to see him in the building.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlLsnjleZeg

teegre
03-03-2013, 11:03 PM
I know that he's short, but he can score from ANYWHERE.

Two years ago, against LSU, Claiborne, Reid, & Mathieu were talking trash to Austin... and he still got over on them.

And then there was the Oklahoma game: 572 total yards (344 rushing yards).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxzPryPMB74

SteelersCanada
03-03-2013, 11:11 PM
I know that he's short, but he can score from ANYWHERE.

Two years ago, against LSU, Claiborne, Reid, & Mathieu were talking trash to Austin... and he still got over on them.

And then there was the Oklahoma game: 572 total yards (344 rushing yards).

This is actually something we haven't talked at great length about - Austin at 17, what's your opinion?

kan_t
03-04-2013, 12:07 AM
This is actually something we haven't talked at great length about - Austin at 17, what's your opinion?

No. If we trade down, maybe.

But I agree that if I need to pick a WR in the first round, he would be my pick.

teegre
03-04-2013, 10:31 AM

Short answer:
Yes.

Long answer:
I think that the kid is to the WR position what Darren Sproles is to the RB position. I foresee Tavon averaging 2100 all-purpose yards & 9 TDs per season.

I know that I have advocated for a tall WR to help in the red-zone, but with Tavon, one can hand it off (reverse) or throw a short pass (screen)... and then watch Tavon juke his way into the end-zone. Likewise, in the open field, he is dynamic.

Deductively thinking: while Elam (or Vaccaro) are more of a need, a really good (albeit not elite) safety can be found in R2 (or even R4). Whereas, there is only one Tavon... and, there hasn't been anyone like Tavon in a few years. If he were 5'11, he'd be a top-five pick (he's that good).

Simply, he has the speed of Wallace & the moves of Barry Sanders.

So, Yes, I'd take him.

Steel Glory
03-04-2013, 11:37 AM
Short answer:
Yes.

Long answer:
I think that the kid is to the WR position what Darren Sproles is to the RB position. I foresee Tavon averaging 2100 all-purpose yards & 9 TDs per season.

I know that I have advocated for a tall WR to help in the red-zone, but with Tavon, one can hand it off (reverse) or throw a short pass (screen)... and then watch Tavon juke his way into the end-zone. Likewise, in the open field, he is dynamic.

Deductively thinking: while Elam (or Vaccaro) are more of a need, a really good (albeit not elite) safety can be found in R2 (or even R4). Whereas, there is only one Tavon... and, there hasn't been anyone like Tavon in a few years. If he were 5'11, he'd be a top-five pick (he's that good).

Simply, he has the speed of Wallace & the moves of Barry Sanders.

So, Yes, I'd take him.

Agree 100%. I would take him. Put him in the slot over Emanuel fumble Sanders. They can get a tall tight end later as a red zone target. WIth Tavon, red zone efficiency wouldn't really be a problem as he more often than not scores from outside the redzone. I was thinking the Steelers would make the playoffs and be in perfect position to take him around 24-32. But I'd still take him.

PhantomJB93
03-04-2013, 12:49 PM
Okay, you guys have finally convinced me to buy in on Austin. But if we did draft him, I'd only do so in the second round, I think 17 is way too early for him, considering I'm still skeptical about his size and his ability to play at the NFL level because of it. I won't deny he's the best runner with the ball in his hands I've seen in a while.

Steel Glory
03-05-2013, 11:00 AM
Okay, you guys have finally convinced me to buy in on Austin. But if we did draft him, I'd only do so in the second round, I think 17 is way too early for him, considering I'm still skeptical about his size and his ability to play at the NFL level because of it. I won't deny he's the best runner with the ball in his hands I've seen in a while.

I would take him in the first. He's a little bit of Percy Harvin and a little bit of Desean Jackson. He's similar in size and stature to Jackson but he isn't a head case. He doesn't showboat and he's a much, much better runner. Jackson was taken in the 2nd round and Harvin was taken in the first. If Austin had a few inches like 5ft-11in and 10-15 lbs more he'd be a guaranteed top ten pick. He has said he models his game after Wes Welker who is 5'9 and 185 lbs if you didn't know... That is 2 inches and 5-10lbs on Austin, and Austin is much, much faster and game-breaking.

" Two years ago, against LSU, Claiborne, Reid, & Mathieu were talking trash to Austin... and he still got over on them. "

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd8Y-PLYi7M

tmacsteelerfan
03-13-2013, 05:59 PM
Anybody have twitter??? This kid trains with Tom Shaw down in Florida and I would love to see if someone could ask Ike what he thinks of the kid. I mean he has to see him in the building.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlLsnjleZeg

Ike already put in a good word for him earlier in the off-season

bcs8484
03-14-2013, 05:37 PM
As much as I would like to have to have a taller reciever I wouldnt be mad for a second even if we took him at 17. He immenatly replaces wallace as are deep threat while possibly having a better upside. I would be far more comfortable taking tavon who has produced at a very high level then patterson who has the size and speed but only has one year of production. If jarvis jones and moore are gone at 17 I would love the pick to be austin.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-14-2013, 06:09 PM
I would take him in the first. He's a little bit of Percy Harvin and a little bit of Desean Jackson. He's similar in size and stature to Jackson but he isn't a head case. He doesn't showboat and he's a much, much better runner. Jackson was taken in the 2nd round and Harvin was taken in the first. If Austin had a few inches like 5ft-11in and 10-15 lbs more he'd be a guaranteed top ten pick. He has said he models his game after Wes Welker who is 5'9 and 185 lbs if you didn't know... That is 2 inches and 5-10lbs on Austin, and Austin is much, much faster and game-breaking.

" Two years ago, against LSU, Claiborne, Reid, & Mathieu were talking trash to Austin... and he still got over on them. "

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd8Y-PLYi7M

That video shows a bunch of hitches, hooks, short crossing patterns and drops. No doubt that Austin is both quick and fast, but nothing that I can see would make me want to spend #17 on him.

SteelerJay
03-17-2013, 07:55 AM
Good but not in 1st round

Pitt15
03-17-2013, 09:00 AM
I see no picks at 17 w/out some issues, must hit on #1, thatís why Iím sticking with Vaccaro, although not a Polamalu pick; fits a need should be above average safety for years. Given this-I would be OK with Austin at 17-but would pick Vaccaro if his is there:

Kenny Vaccaro- S-Texas (OK w/Austin, Rhoades, Jesse Wms, Eifert)

David Amerson- CB/S S. Carolina (Lemonier, Brown, Green, Moore, Collins)
Ball hawk that provides depth at C and S immediately, time to grow into a starter,
possibly to team with Vaccaro.
Ryan Swope- WR Texas Tech
Tough, quick, and fast, should soften the loss of Ward and Sanders.
LeVeon Bell-RB Mich. State
Not top notch acceleration or speed, but a complete back. The smaller backs arenít
that much faster, so I will go with what appears to be a more complete and stable back
for the long haul.
AJ Klein- ILB Iowa State
Best ILB on the board.
Rodney Smith; WR-FSU
Tall receiver to replace Burris, may not run best routes, but coachable and solid pick
this late.
Vince Williams-ILB FSU

Really wanted a TE, but this mock gives us some playmakers on both sides of the ball. Remember David Johnson was having a tremendous game in Phila before his injury, has something to prove. We need hungry and humble players (with talent), not self-promoting ďstars.Ē

Hope we can move down, gain some picks (get one of the top 3 TEs; Ryan Griffin/Tulane, Sorenson S. Utah as developmental QB; Ray Graham).

CrickRat23
03-17-2013, 07:43 PM
I would not mind if they took Tavon in the 1st ( although he would not be my 1st choice ). Every level he has played at they said he was too small, but at every level he has produced numbers. In high school they said he was too small, all he did was go on to become the all time leading rusher in Maryland high school history. They said he was too small to play big time college football at WVU, I think he performed pretty well there. Now they say he is too small to play in the NFL. I know the NFL is a different beast, but I think he will be fine.

Steel Glory
03-28-2013, 11:55 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000154860/article/tavon-austin-reportedly-will-visit-san-francisco-49ers

The article states that san fran may be looking to move up and take him. Greg Cossell however has him as a top 10 talent and everyone is now stating if he makes it to the Rams at 16 he won't go any further. I doubt the Steelers would move up for him... I still want him to be a steeler though lol

teegre
03-29-2013, 07:54 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000154860/article/tavon-austin-reportedly-will-visit-san-francisco-49ers

The article states that san fran may be looking to move up and take him. Greg Cossell however has him as a top 10 talent and everyone is now stating if he makes it to the Rams at 16 he won't go any further. I doubt the Steelers would move up for him... I still want him to be a steeler though lol

In Cosell I trust. The dude knows what he's talking about. He watches film... and bases his analysis on that film (not on opinion or on 40 times). And, the dude is usually spot on.

If Austin gets past the Rams (I truly seeing him going 16), and he is there at 17... as much as I love Austin, if I could get the 49ers' two early picks (& a R3 pick), I think I'd make the trade. This is a deep, deep draft.

SF gets: 17
PITT gets: 31, 34, and a R3 pick.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-29-2013, 12:07 PM
In Cosell I trust. The dude knows what he's talking about. He watches film... and bases his analysis on that film (not on opinion or on 40 times). And, the dude is usually spot on.

If Austin gets past the Rams (I truly seeing him going 16), and he is there at 17... as much as I love Austin, if I could get the 49ers' two early picks (& a R3 pick), I think I'd make the trade. This is a deep, deep draft.

SF gets: 17
PITT gets: 31, 34, and a R3 pick.

I'd gladly trade back for more picks like that too.

I like Cosell and respect his breakdowns, but I really hope somebody other than the Steelers takes Austin. Cosell had Jimmy Williams CB Colorado as one of his top 10 talents 2 years ago. Not sure how some would look at that now.

I hope somebody takes a shot on a slot receiver and kick returner in the top 10 so the Steelers can get an OLB or a SS.

Greg Cosell calls Andy Dalton a fourth-round talent
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/26/greg-cosell-calls-andy-dalton-a-fourth-round-talent/

Steel Glory
03-30-2013, 04:14 PM

I like Cosell and respect his breakdowns, but I really hope somebody other than the Steelers takes Austin. Cosell had Jimmy Williams CB Colorado as one of his top 10 talents 2 years ago. Not sure how some would look at that now.

I hope somebody takes a shot on a slot receiver and kick returner in the top 10 so the Steelers can get an OLB or a SS.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/26/greg-cosell-calls-andy-dalton-a-fourth-round-talent/

Yeah as much as I like Austin, if those picks are offered, I'd make that deal in a heartbeat. We have a lot of needs to fill.

teegre
03-31-2013, 03:33 AM

Even Cosell makes mistakes. But, the vast majority of the time, he's spot on.

Heck, a few years ago, I watched Vernon Gholston eat Jake Long's lunch (Ohio St vs. Michigan)... and thus, I swore that Gholston was the next Joey Porter. I was very, very wrong. Veeeeeery wrong.

Anyway, this is a deep draft. More picks (& Elam) is the smartest move.

cloppbeast
04-05-2013, 08:02 AM
He has a lot of physical talent, but he doesn't have very good running instincts. He seems too eager to cut it back, and he runs laterally after the catch too often. He could probably improve in these areas with good coaching.

Coming from a spread offense, don't you worry about how he will adjust to the NFL?