PDA

View Full Version : William Gay Signed!!!

VSP644
03-04-2013, 06:38 AM
According to Rotoworld.com, Gay has signed with the Steelers. This is the only website reporting that he has signed. The Steelers must be having a difficult time with Keenan Lewis if this deal got done so quickly. Gay is at best a nickle or dime back but we get decent depth.:helmet:

VaDave
03-04-2013, 07:02 AM
Yikes....

Fire Haley
03-04-2013, 07:09 AM
looks likes it's gonna happen

William Gay rejoining Steelers

It appears that cornerback William Gay will be rejoining the Steelers after spending one season with the Arizona Cardinals.

Gay changed his Twitter account information to label himself a "cornerback of the Pittsburgh Steelers." Asked on Twitter by former teammate Ryan Mundy if he was returning, Gay answered, "Yea." He also wrote on Twitter that "I'm glad I didn't' sell my condo in Pittsburgh."

He will be at the Steelers facility on the South Side today.

Jerrold Colton, Gay's agent, said that there is interest in the Steelers but would not say whether Gay has come to contract terms with the team

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/william-gay-rejoining-steelers-677820/

WokeUpWithaWoodley
03-04-2013, 07:10 AM
He is visiting today, for physical and such no signing yet.

Maybe later today or tomorrow

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-04-2013, 08:04 AM
So if I want to take a guess.....Lewis got a deal elsewhere, Cortez Allen is next up and Gay is nickle back/veteran insurance. Not great, but at least its some kind of contingency plan.

AgentGold007
03-04-2013, 08:06 AM
:noidea:I suppose it's not the worst news...

Fire Haley
03-04-2013, 08:08 AM
What would be really funny is if Gay comes in to visit, then leaves for another team for more money.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-04-2013, 08:19 AM
What would be really funny is if Gay comes in to visit, then leaves for another team for more money.

That would make me so happy. :tt03:

steelfury02
03-04-2013, 08:23 AM
In terms of limited action - if he sees the field as much as Randle El did upon his return in 10', it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world

Better than most news we've been receiving. Who knows if this will actually work out by end of training camp - a lot could happen between now and then

jtbsteeler
03-04-2013, 09:38 AM
Gay last year here he led the team in pass defense. He got smoked by Torrey Smith, that was the worst play of that season. Albeit that play cost us homefield in the long run....

I'm still not giving up on Lewis being signed. If we are able to sign Lewis this signing will make the DBackfield the clear strength of this team. #1 with no pass rush last season.

The_Joker
03-04-2013, 10:16 AM
If we loss Lewis (not sure why everyone says we will) we still Got Ike, Allen and Gay.

Not bad.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-04-2013, 10:20 AM
If we loss Lewis (not sure why everyone says we will) we still Got Ike, Allen and Gay.

Not bad.

Yeah, but like I said before, I had pegged Will Gay as the next DeShea Townsend. He's starting to look like the next Jason Simmons as a DB.

I hope we dont lose Lewis, but cant see how we can fit a good sized contract that he would command, uner the cap.

harrison'samonster
03-04-2013, 10:23 AM
Yeah, but like I said before, I had pegged Will Gay as the next DeShea Townsend. He's starting to look like the next Jason Simmons as a DB.

I hope we dont lose Lewis, but cant see how we can fit a good sized contract that he would command, uner the cap.

I hope we don't lose Lewis as well, but if we end up not being able to afford him, Gay re-signing makes me feel a lot better. Ike and Allen would be a good starting combo.

LayingTheWoodley56
03-04-2013, 10:23 AM
Just saw a tweet saying this is more about Curtis Brown than Lewis, which makes sense. Having Gay, a guy who knows the system and made some nice plays in his time here, as a nickel or dime corner, is not a bad thing. He should send Rainey a thank you note for vacating #22.

Looks like he went the Larry Foote route - one season with an inferior franchise before returning to the 'Burgh.

TRH
03-04-2013, 10:29 AM
i wouldn't mind. Gay really wasn't that bad - and at times he was pretty good in fact.

One problem is that he got burned on a couple of very "high profile" plays, which were etched in many fan's minds, who in turn, forgot about his fairly solid play the rest of the time.
Don't get me wrong, he wasn't "all-pro", but he's certainly not as bad as he's been made out to be - and we definitely need the help back there.

steelfury02
03-04-2013, 10:50 AM
i wouldn't mind. Gay really wasn't that bad - and at times he was pretty good in fact.

One problem is that he got burned on a couple of very "high profile" plays, which were etched in many fan's minds, who in turn, forgot about his fairly solid play the rest of the time.
Don't get me wrong, he wasn't "all-pro", but he's certainly not as bad as he's been made out to be - and we definitely need the help back there.

I'm convinced the last name is a big part of why its easy to bash him. :chuckle: I will be looking forward to the Gay meter.

Just remember - our depth with Gay will be better his 2nd time around. Its not like we're bringing back both Gay and McFadden. My favorite Gay moment (laugh it up) was his performance in the 2010 AFC Champ game. But yea, he needs a new role going up against the toughest WR corp in the AFC - the Ravens'.

GMU Steeler
03-04-2013, 10:55 AM
I'm fine with this. Gay's weakness was as a number 2 guy which he will not be expected to be now. He's decent as nickle/dime guy. Besides depth is always a plus too. A guy who knows the system is a plus.

casteeler
03-04-2013, 11:01 AM
Burnt toast is back. :doh:

Steelers5895
03-04-2013, 11:14 AM
this sucks. going back to the well with past underperfoming players is why we are going down instead of up.

steelfury02
03-04-2013, 11:21 AM
this sucks. going back to the well with past underperfoming players is why we are going down instead of up.

the problem is that we have too many depth issues at too many positions for them to draft for every need

he's only going to see limited action

then there's that whole injury thing. IMO - if he has to fill in for any length of time then yea, I agree - that will help us take another step back.

Fire Arians
03-04-2013, 11:28 AM
for depth this isn't bad. he's gonna be covering guys like davone bess, not larry fitzgerald

DanRooney
03-04-2013, 11:56 AM
for depth this isn't bad. he's gonna be covering guys like davone bess, not larry fitzgerald

I wouldn't be so sure. Taunto Farrior was covering Greg Jennings twice in the SB for both TDs.

steelfury02
03-04-2013, 12:03 PM
I wouldn't be so sure. Taunto Farrior was covering Greg Jennings twice in the SB for both TDs.

Greg Jennings scored 1 of those because secondary, namely Troy - made a critical decision mistake. Remember Jennings on the sideline saying the corner was way open - that 1 time was not Farriors fault. Who else did we have at ILB at that point tho?

XLV was still very winnable in spite of the secondary being burnt

If you turn out to be right and he is covering #1, #2 targets it either means we suffered the injury bug again or Tricky Dick's time is up - that would be a terrible decision having him assume that role for any length of time ( I don't think that is the case though)

let's wait until training camp is over first though

JonM229
03-04-2013, 12:06 PM
Please, please, please let him in the starting rotation

steelfury02
03-04-2013, 12:09 PM
Please, please, please let him in the starting rotation

Troll. Is it possible to just banish this guy? There is nothing fruitful to come from this.

Btw Ravens fan - the fact that you took the time out of your day to respond to a William Gay signing means you Ravens fans are already thinking about your SB slump.

Enjoy your team having a target on its back. hahahahahaahhahahahaa

StainlessStill
03-04-2013, 12:20 PM
http://cdn.sportsoverdose.com/thumbs/charlie-batch-16-nfl.jpg

That should scare 'em off.

steelfury02
03-04-2013, 12:22 PM
http://cdn.sportsoverdose.com/thumbs/charlie-batch-16-nfl.jpg

That should scare 'em off.

yea, they'll never admit they wanted no piece of a healthy Steelers team last season - give them credit, but remember Ravens fan - there's only 1 place to go after your team got to the top

Oh how I'm enjoying our Steelers being counted out again!:tt:

Bane
03-04-2013, 12:23 PM
Troll. Is it possible to just banish this guy? There is nothing fruitful to come from this.

Btw Ravens fan - the fact that you took the time out of your day to respond to a William Gay signing means you Ravens fans are already thinking about your SB slump.

Enjoy your team having a target on its back. hahahahahaahhahahahaa

How can we see the targets on their backs when next year they'll all be lying on them?

:tt04:

steelfury02
03-04-2013, 12:27 PM
How can we see the targets on their backs when next year they'll all be lying on them?

:tt04:

Insert Tired Random Ravens fan Rapistburger comment here

StainlessStill
03-04-2013, 12:30 PM
Here's the thing. Baltimore capitalized in a season to not only where Pittsburgh was in a transition year, but when the AFC was obviously in the weakest state compared to where they used to be as a Conference. They have no idea what it's like to fuel their tank in a defending the title situation. Not only have they ducked out of playing Roethlisberger TWICE last year, but they have been lucking out facing us when things are array. Point blank, this team can't finish the job against us in an even playing field where we are both playing at our best. They simply can't match up helmet on helmet when we are in the zone. They got us in our transition year, they won it all, now go out there with meat hanging off of you and let the dogs out of the cage. 120million dollar-boy wasn't even wanted middle season for a reason. Now we'll see how he does when Boldin won't be there to snatch his aimless deep balls.

No doubt in my mind Mr.Roethlisberger will adjust his team, get his troops in the right frame of mind and attack these pussies for the frauds that they are and always will be. In the end, we'll thank Balty for winning the Super Bowl. It has simply woken us up. Bad mistake Baltimore. Enjoy the title. We'll be enjoying coming after YOU this time around.

teegre
03-04-2013, 12:38 PM
As someone said here:
He replaces Curtis Brown. [When drafted, I had high hopes for Brown, although I always saw Lewis & Allen being the starters.] Not bad.

As I said in another thread:
Will I am GAY as a starter: No!!!
Will I am GAY as a 4th CB: Yes!!!

On a personal level:
My friends & I can once again use such awesome phrases, such as: "Stop messing with the grill; you're being very 22" and "What size is that pink, frilly shirt that you're wearing...22?" ...or, simply, the random text of: "22."

steelfury02
03-04-2013, 12:41 PM
Here's the thing. Baltimore capitalized in a season to not only where Pittsburgh was in a transition year, but when the AFC was obviously in the weakest state compared to where they used to be as a Conference. They have no idea what it's like to fuel their tank in a defending the title situation. Not only have they ducked out of playing Roethlisberger TWICE last year, but they have been lucking out facing us when things are array. Point blank, this team can't finish the job against us in an even playing field where we are both playing at our best. They simply can't match up helmet on helmet when we are in the zone. They got us in our transition year, they won it all, now go out there with meat hanging off of you and let the dogs out of the cage. 120million dollar-boy wasn't even wanted middle season for a reason. Now we'll see how he does when Boldin won't be there to snatch his aimless deep balls.

No doubt in my mind Mr.Roethlisberger will adjust his team, get his troops in the right frame of mind and attack these pussies for the frauds that they are and always will be. In the end, we'll thank Balty for winning the Super Bowl. It has simply woken us up. Bad mistake Baltimore. Enjoy the title. We'll be enjoying coming after YOU this time around.

2 things. Awesome post - if I were a Steeler I would be putting this on the bulletin board and next: It would be right next to "Boldin won't be there to snatch his aimless deep balls." Sorry, but that made me spit my soda a little bit - just reads funny :chuckle:

LVSteelersfan
03-04-2013, 12:52 PM
Not a fan of William Gay. Damn it. Why won't these so so players that we get of like Foote and Gay just stay away? Why do they have to keep bringing them back? It's really going to suck if something happens and Foote and Gay are on the field at the same time with Gay as #2 CB. The only one who was worse was Carter.

Justp94
03-04-2013, 12:53 PM
According to Rotoworld.com, Gay has signed with the Steelers. This is the only website reporting that he has signed. The Steelers must be having a difficult time with Keenan Lewis if this deal got done so quickly. Gay is at best a nickle or dime back but we get decent depth.:helmet:

Now I'm pissed... Gay can't cover anyone, he gave up way too many touchdowns while with the Steelers. I remember he gave up 3 touchdowns alone in one game vs the Patriots, he better be Cortez Allen's back up as the Nickel Corner... I still don't understand why they signed him to a 3-year contract... he Sucks.

ebsteelers
03-04-2013, 12:54 PM
as said in the waterboy about our secondary...

"WE SUCK AGAIN!!!

PhantomJB93
03-04-2013, 01:00 PM
William Gay was great in 2011. I know he sucked, REALLY BAD in 09 and 10 but he put everything together in his last year here. I was actually really upset last offseason when we let him go but luckily Keenan Lewis filled that void nicely. If we manage to keep Keenan too and Gay and Cortez come in in nickel and dime packages, our CB depth actually looks really good. Even if Keenan goes, I like our chances with Cortez on the outside and Gay in nickel.

sloppyjoe
03-04-2013, 01:05 PM
gay's back, not that there's anything wrong with that

austinfrench76
03-04-2013, 01:10 PM
I'm good with Gay, not literally not that there's nothing wrong with that, but I hope it's not a bad sign for Lewis!!

Blacksburg Zach
03-04-2013, 01:14 PM
Oh, God. Big Play Willie Gay is coming back? Hopefully, he will be used just for depth and not actually start in any games.

StainlessStill
03-04-2013, 01:19 PM
Not sure why people are under the impression thinking this was a signing to be a starter. It simply isn't. Even if we lose Lewis, Allen is next in line to start opposite Ike. I'd rather have Gay on the field in the Nickel than Josh Victorian. Just sayin.

VaDave
03-04-2013, 01:23 PM
I've come full circle on this and now think this is a savvy pick up. One, for a minimum non guaranteed contract, we get a guy that knows our system . That saves us a year while a new guy learns this rocket science level defense. Maybe he's not the greatest CB in the league, but a solid # 4, and maybe an OK slot man.

The second is it gives Curtis Brown a wake up call. He's in his 3rd year and other than special teams coverage units, he's done little to distinguish himself, but has distinguished himself on return units as someone that can't block without holding.

Finally, 3rd, speaking of coverage units, Gay IS a very good special teams player

Hawaii 5-0
03-04-2013, 01:30 PM
not a bad move.

signing Willie Gay provides us with some depth and added competition in training camp. he already knows the system, actually plays okay in the slot and will help us contribute on special teams...

rcoplien
03-04-2013, 01:33 PM
OMG we did what??? He was the worst CB in Steeler history! Never covers his WR good at all and gets beat every time! I was elated when he left now we bring him back? What on earth are they thinking! He made us lose games we should have won!!

PhantomJB93
03-04-2013, 02:16 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-plays/09000d5d81ddf158/Gay-returns-Sanchez-fumble-for-TD

tanda10506
03-04-2013, 02:18 PM
This is a good signing IMO, as I'm sure we won't over pay. I'm just hoping this doesn't mean that Lewis is gone. Gay is not a good #2 CB. He was likely the most improved player in 2011 and played "no name" WR's very well, but he struggled against good WR's. Hopefully he's going to be a nickle CB and we are able to keep Lewis or draft a good CB.

pczach
03-04-2013, 02:38 PM
I think it's a pretty smart move. He's not going to command any real money, and he's coming in to play nickel and backup corner. He also knows the system. He's not an old guy, so the 3 year contract mentioned is no big deal. Supporting run defense is not his strength, so playing nickel would be a perfect fit for him. I don't see why so many of you are panicking over this move. It makes football and financial sense, as long as he's a backup.

DanRooney
03-04-2013, 02:39 PM
Greg Jennings scored 1 of those because secondary, namely Troy - made a critical decision mistake. Remember Jennings on the sideline saying the corner was way open - that 1 time was not Farriors fault. Who else did we have at ILB at that point tho?

XLV was still very winnable in spite of the secondary being burnt

If you turn out to be right and he is covering #1, #2 targets it either means we suffered the injury bug again or Tricky Dick's time is up - that would be a terrible decision having him assume that role for any length of time ( I don't think that is the case though)

let's wait until training camp is over first though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGg8Wu50k3I

Terminator
03-04-2013, 02:40 PM
It's always nice to see us re-sign someone who was originally cut for being a complete scrub.

Oh, wait a minute....

DanRooney
03-04-2013, 02:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=093eoWS8QZQ

this 2nd touchdown, sure Polamalu made a bad choice running inside. First touchdown was a horrible play by Farrior who does nothing to impede Jennings' route or push him towards the coverage over the top.

Farrior shouldn't have been put anywhere near Jennings regardless. That's a matchup I'd target all day even if Ed Reed was over the top.

Fire Haley
03-04-2013, 02:46 PM
3 year deal

Gay says he's glad to be back with Steelers

Gay, who played on two Super Bowl teams with the Steelers as a nickel back, signed a three-year deal today to return to the team that drafted him on the fifth round in 2007.

"Soon as it hit the wire that I was released, I got a call from the black and gold," Gay said. "That put a smile on my face -- knowing the team that drafted me wanted me back."

The decision to re-sign Gay, 28, gives the Steelers some veteran presence on the depth chart at cornerback and gives them some security at nickel back if Keenan Lewis is not re-signed in free agency.

"They said come back and let's go, let's compete and win games," Gay said when asked what his role will be in 2013. "That's all I want to do -- run out of that tunnel with [number] 22 on."

"I came in to win," Gay said. "Just to be back with your family, the guys you grew up with in this league, that's going to be fun."

The decision to re-sign Gay indicates a concern about the lack of development of cornerback Curtis Brown, a fourth-round pick in 2011 who struggled last season in the nickel defense when Ike Taylor was injured.

Brown was the extra defensive back in sub packages because Cortez Allen moved up to replace Taylor. But Brown would be shifted to the outside in the nickel defense and Allen would move to the slot.

With Gay, the Steelers could keep Allen on the outside and use him in the slot if Lewis does not re-sign.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/william-gay-rejoining-steelers-677820/

fer522
03-04-2013, 02:51 PM
I love this sign!!!!! Relax guys This is for depth more than anything else,We STILL get to pick at 17 and we'll be picking up a cornerback in R1 or R2 :doh: Who would you rather have on the field Gay or Victorian :noidea:

cowherpower
03-04-2013, 03:19 PM
I love this sign!!!!! Relax guys This is for depth more than anything else,We STILL get to pick at 17 and we'll be picking up a cornerback in R1 or R2 :doh: Who would you rather have on the field Gay or Victorian :noidea:

I would rather go with an unproven young guy then a proven liability.

steelfury02
03-04-2013, 03:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGg8Wu50k3I

sorry, your vid isn't showing up on mine

Curtain_of_Steel
03-04-2013, 03:20 PM

Not bad.

Yea thats comforting! Taylor was so good for half the season last year, lol..
Now we plug in another CB that was burned as well.

steelfury02
03-04-2013, 03:22 PM
I would rather go with an unproven young guy then a proven liability.

better to go with the evil you know in this case - i think we need the depth regardless

Fire Haley
03-04-2013, 03:35 PM
let's just hope he has a better return gig from the desert than BMAC

Buddha Bus
03-04-2013, 03:39 PM
let's just hope he has a better return gig from the desert than BMAC

Amen.

White_Steel_Wolfe
03-04-2013, 03:49 PM
SMFH:doh:

kent
03-04-2013, 03:53 PM
Hey he 2 picks last year, that would have led the team for our DBs.

JeromeBetties63
03-04-2013, 03:57 PM
Why are all you hosers on here instead of running an NFL franchise? The expertise of this crew is astounding.

Buddha Bus
03-04-2013, 04:35 PM
Now that he's making his triumphant return, I say we have a big march through downtown Pittsburgh to show how proud we are to have him back. We can call it The Gay Pride Par... oh nevermind.

FrancoLambert
03-04-2013, 04:37 PM
Overall I think there's more good than bad here.

Yes, he better be signed for depth/nickle-dime role only.

He knows LeBeau's system. He was good as a corner blitzer. Way better than Curtis Brown who sucks at CB.

Bad if it means we're losing Lewis.

Provides some depth, doesn't cost a lot, buys us some time.

FrancoLambert
03-04-2013, 04:41 PM
:sign02:[QUOTE=JonM229;1088738]Please, please, please let him in the starting rotation

:sign02:

pete74
03-04-2013, 04:41 PM
I would love to keep Lewis. Lewis and Taylor starting with Allen playing nickel and Gay playing dime would give us the best set of corners in the NFL in my mind.

casteeler
03-04-2013, 05:03 PM
The only way this would be a Win for the Steelers is if they signed him at league Minimum and he donates half of his salary to a deserving Pittsburgh charity. This says the Steelers have NO plans on drafting a DB or Lewis is leaving and the only thing the Steelers can do about it is sign a guy that left Pittsburgh with many fans cheering like they'd just hit the Lotto.

Hawaii 5-0
03-04-2013, 05:06 PM
The only way this would be a Win for the Steelers is if they signed him at league Minimum

Gerry Dulac ‏@gerrydulac:

William Gay's deal: 3 yrs, $4.5million, $500k signing bonus.

Steel_Bus_24
03-04-2013, 05:13 PM
This is a good move if its for depth and Gay works as the #4

but its bad if this means we're losing lewis

harrison'samonster
03-04-2013, 05:16 PM
Now that he's making his triumphant return, I say we have a big march through downtown Pittsburgh to show how proud we are to have him back. We can call it The Gay Pride Par... oh nevermind.

since it's the middle of winter, you think we could do something to brighten everybody's mood, I don't know, maybe bright rainbow colors at the Gay Parade.

cowherpower
03-04-2013, 05:22 PM
Why are all you hosers on here instead of running an NFL franchise? The expertise of this crew is astounding.

right, because about 25 of the owners in the NFL are doing soo good. And our own inherited his team.

zcoop
03-04-2013, 05:24 PM
I would love to keep Lewis. Lewis and Taylor starting with Allen playing nickel and Gay playing dime would give us the best set of corners in the NFL in my mind.

This would be ideal but I'm not too sure we'll sign Lewis. Letting Lewis go would be a mistake.

JeromeBetties63
03-04-2013, 05:27 PM
right, because about 25 of the owners in the NFL are doing soo good. And our own inherited his team.

Go apply.

steeltheone
03-04-2013, 06:02 PM
Gay last year here he led the team in pass defense. He got smoked by Torrey Smith, that was the worst play of that season. Albeit that play cost us homefield in the long run....

I'm still not giving up on Lewis being signed. If we are able to sign Lewis this signing will make the DBackfield the clear strength of this team. #1 with no pass rush last season.

As teegre pointed out in another post, that was Ryan Clark's blown coverage...Clark cost us Homefield.

pczach
03-04-2013, 06:05 PM
Go apply.

This is a Pittsbugh Steelers message board. By definition, we get to give our opinions on a multitude of things including all things Steelers related. What's your opinion? If you don't have an opinion on anything or don't think anyone else should have one, why are you on a message board? I'm not trying to be a jerk. I'd really like to know.:noidea:

fer522
03-04-2013, 06:49 PM
I hope we can bring back Lewis but not for a ridiculous amount of money he had a very good year but he had no int's in his one good year!! before we start killing Gay we should wait and see what the FO's plan is with the DB's imho

JeromeBetties63
03-04-2013, 06:57 PM
This is a Pittsbugh Steelers message board. By definition, we get to give our opinions on a multitude of things including all things Steelers related. What's your opinion? If you don't have an opinion on anything or don't think anyone else should have one, why are you on a message board? I'm not trying to be a jerk. I'd really like to know.:noidea:

What I think is that to point out the guys strengths and weaknesses, how you think he helps the team...okay....but I get real weary of the over the top reactions from people who genuinely think they can make better player personal decisions than the proven Steeler front office, ownership, coaching staff...etc. I find it rather silly, actually.

casteeler
03-04-2013, 07:32 PM
Gerry Dulac ‏@gerrydulac:

William Gay's deal: 3 yrs, $4.5million, $500k signing bonus.

Ok he can donate more:toofunny:

BKAnthem
03-04-2013, 07:32 PM
this dude again... smh

cowherpower
03-04-2013, 08:57 PM
What I think is that to point out the guys strengths and weaknesses, how you think he helps the team...okay....but I get real weary of the over the top reactions from people who genuinely think they can make better player personal decisions than the proven Steeler front office, ownership, coaching staff...etc. I find it rather silly, actually.

My four year old can make better decisions then bringing back a very substandard corner who repeatedly got burned and is a complete liability. So...because they own the team, are coaches of the team, they are somehow immune to questioning their decision making skills? So we can never comment on our draft choices, our personnel, or coaching changes? I guess only owners are allowed. Pack it up everyone, let's leave the message board...only owners allowed here. :banging:

teegre
03-04-2013, 09:19 PM
Owners only...

Steelfury & Riddle of Steel can stay (they "own" Gofor7).

tony hipchest
03-04-2013, 09:32 PM
Owners only...

Steelfury & Riddle of Steel can stay (they "own" Gofor7). now i know who to call the next time he craps on the lawn... :poop:

z7X2_V60YK8

kan_t
03-05-2013, 03:13 AM
Overall I think there's more good than bad here.

Yes, he better be signed for depth/nickle-dime role only.

He knows LeBeau's system. He was good as a corner blitzer. Way better than Curtis Brown who sucks at CB.

Bad if it means we're losing Lewis.

Provides some depth, doesn't cost a lot, buys us some time.
Agreed. He would also be a good addtion to the special team.

Buddha Bus
03-05-2013, 03:19 AM
since it's the middle of winter, you think we could do something to brighten everybody's mood, I don't know, maybe bright rainbow colors at the Gay Parade.

Nope, no Ravens allowed.

jacobo
03-05-2013, 08:14 AM
good signing. he wasn't as bad as I thought he was at the time of him playing here. gives us nice depth and knows our system. plus he'll probably be hungry after being in arizona

Terminator
03-05-2013, 08:20 AM
We just signed an aging, mediocre at best DB for 4.5 MILLION dollars, and Steeler fans are happy about this???? Really????

VaDave
03-05-2013, 08:21 AM
Agreed Jaco

Fire Haley
03-05-2013, 08:23 AM
We just signed an aging, mediocre at best DB for 4.5 MILLION dollars, and Steeler fans are happy about this???? Really????

3 years for $4M

peanuts, pretty damn cheap in this day and age

steelfury02
03-05-2013, 08:58 AM
Nope, no Ravens allowed.

:toofunny:

Steelers>NFL
03-05-2013, 09:05 AM
3 years for $4M

Yep, I like this signing. He is not over the top player, nor a bottom of the heap player. He is steady. At times he'll miss a play, while he also makes a very good play.
Plus he knows the overly complicated LeBeau system.

tanda10506
03-05-2013, 09:19 AM
3 years for $4M

Agreed. About $1.3 mil a year is pretty cheap for a starting CB. Hopefully in our case he won't be starting. Taylor, Lewis, and Gay at nickel would be alright with me.

Terminator
03-05-2013, 09:20 AM
Yep, I like this signing. He is not over the top player, nor a bottom of the heap player. He is steady. At times he'll miss a play, while he also makes a very good play.
Plus he knows the overly complicated LeBeau system.

If he knows it so well, why did he suck when he played for us?

VaDave
03-05-2013, 09:28 AM

You may want to check his date of birth. He's not that old.

Let me ask you this, assuming Lewis is gone: Gay or Victorian? Gay or Brown?, Gay or Vandyke?

Even is some act of God happens and we retain Lewis, one of those guys is going to be playing a lot on defense, AND to top it off, Gay was a much better special teams player than the three of them combined.

While I do think the Steeler may have over paid him a bit, under the circumstances, this was a pretty savvy rehire IMO.

kan_t
03-05-2013, 09:29 AM
If he knows it so well, why did he suck when he played for us?
Because he's not a No.2 CB. It doesn't mean that he can't do a decent job at nickelback. If the Steelers re-sign Lewis, he will be the 4th CB and you won't find a lot No.4 CBs better than him in the league. He doesn't need to do much to beat out Curtis Brown.

He is also a good special team player.

VaDave
03-05-2013, 09:32 AM
He's not a # 2 corner, and is best suited in the slot. Assuming Lewis is a goner, Taylor is #1 Allen is #2, and if I were a betting man, Gay will be #3 in the Nickel. Heaven help us when we play either Brown or Vandyke in the Dime unless they get real good in a hurry, or our pass rush turns into the Steel Curtain revisited.........

wwhickok
03-06-2013, 06:52 AM
Desperation move imo. How'd Bryant McFadden work out? Gay is even worse than he was.

VaDave
03-06-2013, 08:12 AM
McFadden got hurt shortly after his arrival, or may have been hurt while in Arizona. Regardless, he was damaged goods the second go around. At least from all reports, Gay seems to be in good health, so maybe the Steelers save on their Blue Cross premium.....

JeromeBetties63
03-06-2013, 08:13 AM
My four year old can make better decisions then bringing back a very substandard corner who repeatedly got burned and is a complete liability. So...because they own the team, are coaches of the team, they are somehow immune to questioning their decision making skills? So we can never comment on our draft choices, our personnel, or coaching changes? I guess only owners are allowed. Pack it up everyone, let's leave the message board...only owners allowed here. :banging:

You make the point exactly - "My four year old....." Where did I say "never comment?" I just said the over the top silliness (like your post) gets old. So let me get this straight....you really think if you were sitting in the Steeler war room, you could make a case for why their decision is wrong and they would look at you and go, "Wow, we never thought of that....?"

steelfury02
03-06-2013, 08:56 AM
the 2ndary is on the upswing if Keenan stays or goes. it will not be the same situation we had in 10'/11'.

Have some faith in Carnell Lake - we're getting better. Be more worrid about OLB/ILB/DL in that order

VaDave
03-06-2013, 09:25 AM
Well, if Lake can make a player out of Brown ( and we are going to need him), give him his wings, he earned them....

I do agree with your comparison of the 2010-2011 seasons.

lloydwoodson
03-06-2013, 10:39 AM
William Gay is a great signing. Gay knows the system, is a good tackler and zone defender. Gay is not going to be asked to play the #1 or #2 CB he is going to cover slot receivers and play shallow zones. Gay is more than capable of this.

I am very happy to see Gay back in a Steeler uniform. Welcome back Willie Gay!

BritishSteel
03-06-2013, 11:30 AM
It's middling money, so I guess the FO thought that the extra knowledge of the system was worth the extra cash over Vet minimum, and there are upsides with Gay in the slot, but it's the store we're shopping in, given our depth needs and cap situation.

OX1947
03-06-2013, 11:38 AM
This was a REALLY Gay move if I ever saw one.

SteelersCanada
03-06-2013, 11:42 AM
Desperation move imo. How'd Bryant McFadden work out? Gay is even worse than he was.

You're acting like he's going to start. He's better than Curtis Brown in the Nickle role and he has more experience than Van Dyke. How does this at all look like a desperation move? He's not ahead of Allen in the pecking order even if Lewis were to leave, and his role is limited to the Dime if Lewis resigns here.

It's a threefold signing: it provides an upgrade over Curtis Brown, it gives a veteran presence at CB and lets guys like Van Dyke know that he has to earn his keep on this team. People are overreacting about this big time. I might still blame him about the lack of our first place bye against the Ravens two years ago, but I'm not going to upset about him being resigned especially since he was for next to nothing.

VaDave
03-06-2013, 04:24 PM
BTW Sports Fans:

Speaking of corners that have been a pain in the butt, Rasheed Wallace is not being offered a new contract in Jacksonville.... If he's healthy, the dude can play.

BKAnthem
03-06-2013, 09:39 PM
they could have drafted a db as good as or better for Less money...this is a DB deep draft

jacobo
03-06-2013, 11:25 PM
BTW Sports Fans:

Speaking of corners that have been a pain in the butt, Rasheed Wallace is not being offered a new contract in Jacksonville.... If he's healthy, the dude can play.

Well if he was here Ben wouldn't have to worry about throwing three interceptions against him

pittpete
03-06-2013, 11:29 PM
they could have drafted a db as good as or better for Less money...this is a DB deep draft

Yes, because we all know rookie DB's get to play in Lebeaus defense as soon as the season starts:noidea:

BKAnthem
03-07-2013, 07:23 PM
Yes, because we all know rookie DB's get to play in Lebeaus defense as soon as the season starts:noidea:

C. Allen didn't pay as a rookie?

AndyWitmyer
03-08-2013, 12:28 PM
Personally, I like WIlliam Gay and he'd shown steady improvement in the time he was with the Steelers. I just hope that his time away from the team hasn't eroded what he'd gained in that time. Honestly, I have no issue at all with his return.

Cyphon
03-08-2013, 01:07 PM
William Gay sucks. This is a retarded move. Its like we aren't even trying anymore :/

steelfury02
03-08-2013, 01:21 PM
William Gay sucks. This is a retarded move. Its like we aren't even trying anymore :/

I'm trying hard

Buddha Bus
03-08-2013, 01:27 PM
I'm trying hard

That's why you're the Member of the Week for 4 weeks running now! :chuckle:

steelfury02
03-08-2013, 01:33 PM
That's why you're the Member of the Week for 4 weeks running now! :chuckle:

I'm also a client

seriously slow offseason when William Gay is the highlight - just a few more days until we start hearing some serious news

Buddha Bus
03-08-2013, 01:35 PM
I'm also a client

seriously slow offseason when William Gay is the highlight - just a few more days until we start hearing some serious news

That's good considering our last couple of off-seasons. :paperbag:

pczach
03-08-2013, 02:26 PM
I'm also a client

I know what you mean. I'm so desperate for meaningful Steeler talk I almost jumped into a scottcurtis thread....

harrison'samonster
03-08-2013, 02:28 PM
I know what you mean. I'm so desperate for meaningful Steeler talk I almost jumped into a scottcurtis thread....

LOL! it's tempting but don't let it warp your mind.

vasteeler
03-08-2013, 02:45 PM

:jawdrop: wow...you really are desperate :chuckle:

VaDave
03-08-2013, 02:57 PM

LOL!!!

Buddha Bus
03-09-2013, 05:38 AM

That's not desperation.... that's a serious lapse in reason and judgement. :chuckle:

pczach
03-09-2013, 06:33 AM
That's not desperation.... that's a serious lapse in reason and judgement. :chuckle:

What can I say? I had a moment of weakness, but I somehow overcame it!:flap: